• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

Victory Tour Bus Hasn’t Stopped Yet for Coles

Posted by Randy Lange on August 26, 2010 – 12:03 pm

It’s been a this-is-your-life week in a victory-lap season for Laveranues Coles.

On Wednesday night there was the Jets’ practice return to Hofstra, a place that Coles called his professional home from 2000-02 and again from ’05 until the Jets moved to the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center on Sept. 1, 2008.

“I may shed a tear, hug a few people I haven’t seen in a while,” Coles said before the trip to Long Island. “I definitely don’t miss the locker room but it is what it is.”

Another touchstone for the now 11th-year wideout has been “Hard Knocks.” He’s the only Jet who’s been involved in the last two NFL Films/HBO summer series.

“Those cameras have been around for a while so you kind of forget they’re there,” LC said. “And being in New York, there’s cameras everywhere anyway. It’s different in Cincinnati, where the only camera you might find is one of your teammates’ camera phones.”

And capping off this short week is Friday night’s third preseason game and second Jets game ever at New Meadowlands Stadium against Coles’ team in 2003-04, the Washington Redskins.

“I’m very thankful to Daniel Snyder for building my home down in Jacksonville for me,” Coles said with easy laugh. The Redskins owner, he said, “gave me an opportunity when other people wouldn’t. I went in and gave him 110 percent of everything I had. I’ve always been that way everywhere I went. But that’s where it stops. It’s one of those things where I appreciate the opportunity. But that’s not home. This is where it all started for me. I’m back here. These are the people that gave me a chance again. I’m thankful for that.”

Who would’ve thought, having seen the young, brooding Laveranues Coles in that cramped Weeb Ewbank Hall locker room as the team’s third-round draft pick in 2000, that he’d turn into a nostalgic old pro a decade later? Even he makes fun of his stern visage back in the day: “That’s another Laveranues. Who would do such a thing? I don’t even like people like that.”

He’s evolved personally even as he’s evolved professionally. The young LC would have been upset with what he describes today as his potential “break glass in case of emergency” role. He’s worked with the second and third offenses, so much so that he says of Mark Sanchez, “I don’t even get a chance to get in the huddle with the guy. I couldn’t even tell you if he smelled like Ben-Gay.” He knows he may not get much visibility against the Redskins as the starters work on into the third quarter. He knows not what the future may hold on final-cut day or after Game 4, when Santonio Holmes returns.

And he’s OK with that.

“I feel good about what I’m doing. I’m in an offense that I’ve known. Now it’s just about me getting an opportunity to go out and play and show what I can do,” Coles said. “Whether it happens or not, I don’t know, but just the fact that they gave me a chance to come in and be a part of this team is something I’m thankful for. So I’m not complaining, I’m not upset, I’m not any of those things. If the opportunity arises, I’ll grab it and take off with it. But if it doesn’t, I know the circumstances I came in here under and I’ll deal with it.”

Coles — who admitted that before returning to the Jets in May he “clicked on Randy’s Radar whenever I got a chance” — has a few under-the-radar things he can pass on to Sanchez no matter how much he gets to play with the starting QB this season, one of them being pointers on dealing with the increasing talent at wideout.

“A little bit of advice on how to approach us without ruffling feathers, just going to the guys and letting us know what you want, ways of doing it without feeling like you’re badgering the guys,” he said. “Just giving him a little bit of knowledge before they usher me to the door on how to deal with the guys, take care of the guys.”

Coles says he feels great, both physically and mentally, especially after a few of his Jets teammates told him “You look like you’ve still got it.” He says there’s still “gas in the tank,” which he hints could become apparent in the preseason finale a week from tonight at Philadelphia, when the ones will rest most if not all of the game.

But then when the needle’s on E, “Whenever this bus stops, I’m excited because I got to be a part of this,” he said of the Jets’ promising prospects for the coming season. “That’s what’s great about it. They’ve got a great head coach, a great personality, front office and management, people who helped me out, molded me into the personality I am today. And that’s what I’m thankful for.”

Rex Ryan and his coaching staff will decide if, when and for how long the Laveranues Victory Tour Bus runs this season. But remembering the receiver and blocker, playmaker and warrior LC’s been over the years, it’s hard not to wish this homebody a fantastic finish to his playing career.

Tags: , , ,

31 Responses to “Victory Tour Bus Hasn’t Stopped Yet for Coles”

1. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Nice to see that Coles’ sometimes questionable attitude has improved and that he’s trying to help our QB instead of sulking over losing a QB who couldn’t throw too well anymore. That stuff about Snyder giving him “an opportunity when other people wouldn’t” is pretty revolting, though. We would’ve paid him a good wage but he had to take more to go to the Skins, badmouth us from there, disappoint on the field, and then come crawling back to us — and that was only the SECOND time! Anyway, he damn well better show something against the Skins because if I know Rex — and I’m not sure I do all that well yet — he’s not gonna keep Coles and lose the young WRs if they look better. Folk, Purdum, the left guard spot, and so on suggest that Douglas’ talk last year of Rex not being overly sentimental about losing guys who aren’t cutting it or are seen as too expensive seems to be true so far.

2. By 37 year fan on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I’m sure Coles will be great . He always played with Heart and Guts .

3. By Trevor M. on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

LC has been a favorite receiver of mine ever since Chrebet retired. I hope he can stick with the Jets for the entire season this year especially because we have the ability to go all the way this year. And even if we dont get that Super-Bowl victory this year it would be amazing if he could finish his career and retire in green and white.

4. By IRA on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Randy,
    Nice story about LC. I think H. Ward is the toughest WR to ever play at least in the past 20 yrs. I put LC right there with him. I remember when he was a rookie and i saw him at Hofstra for the 1st time i thought this kid could be special. I went home and called WFAN and Ian Eagle took the call. I told him there is this kid Coles who is tough and fast as lightning. And you better not call a game and use his 1st name because the play will be over before you say it. Ian answered me sure another one of your camp HOF players. Well its 11 yrs latter and look at the career he has had. I always felt Hasty was the most physical player until i saw LC. Hope things work out for him and he is part of this team when they play in Dallas in Feb. GO JETS!!!!!!

5. By mike on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Coles i ope u have a great year and catch many T.D.pass’s that win the games glad to have u back! enjoy the season….

6. By Jack's Tattoos on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I hope Coles makes it…as a #5 whose better?

7. By Dug on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Good to have you back L.C.
    You’ve been a pleasure to watch and I wish you well as our receiver and on
    to your retirement !May The Lord bless you !

8. By gmany3k on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

It would not surprise me if at some point in this season its Coles who makes a play that turns the tide in a game or even in the season. Id bet he would even play special teams just to get to play.

9. By wayne on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Boy oh boy some people just cant forget about the past, can’t let go of the smallest slight. Cant forgive……Coles made mistakes when he was young….most of us are STILL making them as old men…..He has grown. It’s nice see. He would be perfect fourth receiver.. Can’t imagine the fourth DB on any team in the league could deal with him. A wiley, tough vet you’re gonna need near the end of games and as the season get down to cruch time.

10. By J J on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I hope you have a great last hurrah with us, It was a pleasure watching you , The {YAC} you always went for was unbelieveable, Good luck

11. By Dug on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Tom–was the oatmeal a little lumpy this morning? I don’t remember you being so
    tuff on one of our good guys !
    L.C. apparently was a good friend of Chads and wasn’t to happy about the
    Jets cutting him.Musta been good friends. By the way Tom, what do you do for a living?(hope you don’t mind me asking)

12. By john on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Saw LC last night at Hofstra. Still love the guy despite his bolting for the dollars. Who can blame him? Anyway, he signed a bunch of autographs after the practice session was over including signing a ball for my son. I thanked him and told him the same thing I’ll write here, “welcome home LC!”

13. By fred on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Many Super Bowl aspiring teams have a gutsy veteran that discovers the fountain of youth a bit a contributes to the team, I hope LC is that veteran for the Jets

14. By Tim on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Still wear my Coles jersey to all of the games!
    I hope he finds a role and his niche on this team!

15. By jet80 on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

64′ Tom i was just thinking that today after watching hard knocks,Clowney doesnt seem to have the coaches support and maybe isnt right in our system.seein how we are a run first offense,i can see a trade very soon with the vikes for sure or they’ll take Allison or Woodhead if cut, both who have talent but old man coles who shouldnt be here will maybe lead to their departure.

16. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I would rather have Coles then Clowney maybe B-E he hasn’t proved anything to me yet to many drops for my liking Coles is tough has very good hands will get after it anywhere on the field hes a gamer …Tom 64 that Chad thing is long over Bud put it to bed ..I’d play him in the slot with J-Co and B-E at wideout Keller at T-E S-Green with C-Washington or J-Conner at fullback any team would be hard pressed stopping those guys

17. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

welcome back Coles

18. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Dug, Wayne, and MJV, I’m not down there with the coaches but from where I sit, I’d much rather give Clowney, Allison, Woodhead, and Taylor their shots then take Coles back, which I’d hoped they wouldn’t do. I still don’t get what enormous disaster they thought would happen had we played only those young guys for the first four games instead of Coles. Now that we’ve got him back, okay, he’s a Jet again, but let’s not kid ourselves about how many steps he’s lost or how many Favre passes he dropped. And like I said, I’m glad his attitude’s better but it wasn’t great when he left for the Skins, wasn’t great when he pulled his nonsense about Chad, wasn’t great when he wanted MORE money and then badmouthed us again to go to CIN and do nothing. So my point is overall he’s over the hill and a bit of a problem child and I can’t get all that excited about him. What excites me is J-Co, Holmes, and Edwards giving DBs fits and hungry young guys behind them. Dug, ask Randy for my email if you want me to email you privately and tell you what I do for a living. A more important question for this site is, what does Vernon Gholston do for a living? P.S. to Dug: I thought Coles was miffed about us getting Favre in favor of Chad. If he was miffed about us cutting Chad, he’s not too bright as that was one of the classiest moves the Jets have ever made, letting him go find his own deal wherever he wanted. P.P.S. to John as to “Who can blame him?”: I don’t know if blame is the right word but I like guys like Lowery, who just the other day took less money to stay on the team, rather than guys like Coles who took more to leave our team and then trashed us anyway.

19. By commentman on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Rex should really put LC in the first team to practice, we all know what he has, hell his name was said more against the Jets last year than ocho cinco, good luck Laverneous!!!!

20. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

My mistake, I meant Coleman just took less money to stay on the Jets. Lowery’s the guy who may have to take less money depending on what happens tonight.

21. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

P.P.P.S. to Dug (power outage out here in sweltering L.A. cut me off the Net) — yeah, I’d like to know what you do for work too, where you live, and how long you’ve been waiting for a year like this from the Jets! But I still say I’ll wait a lot longer before I’ll pay that kind of ransom to Revis.

22. By IRA on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Clowney has taken over Wright’s job and seems to be doing an OK ? job. I wouldn’t be shocked if they don’t keep him. Tonight is HUGE for him. Woodhead is suspect on ST’s. just look at the Fish game from last year. He failed to seal the edge on both of Ginn’s returns. There probably will be 1 or 2 players that will be on the opening day roster that aren’t on the team yet. I think LC will be ok for the first month. Not convinced they will keep him once Holmes comes back.

23. By Upstate Bill on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Pennington and Coles came up together and remained bosom buddies. The bond between them was incredible, yet Chad urged Lavernius to take the multi-million Redskin offer, as Coles owed it to his family. This is just one act that demonstrated Chad Penningtonn’s class — indeed later he offered part of his own salary to bring Lavernius back. In my view, no Jet player ever left his body out on the field as did Coles. He would take such hits that we would wonder how he ever got up. Any poster who is critical of Lavernius Coles is a bufoon.

24. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Hey Upstate Bill, anyone who thinks Coles has that much left simply hasn’t been watching football lately, buffoon or not. Or do you think CIN redid their whole WR picture because they were so thrilled with what he did for them last year? Or that we made a mistake not paying him and paying Edwards and Holmes instead? And please give me a major break with the “owed it to his family” garbage. Coles isn’t going to have to worry about his family for centuries unless he’s a compulsive gambler with an eye for lame horses or something. What I also don’t get in your post is what Chad’s enormous class has to do with Coles’ minimal class. As for him “leaving his body out on the field,” I’ll side with Row on that one. If you don’t like big hits, try playing DB and making them instead of WR and taking them.

25. By Anne on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

LC has been one of my favorite players for years!! LC if you’re reading this I was the fan going back a few years that yelled “WELCOME BACK” a preseason game while you were on the side lines and you turned around and thanked me!!! Good Luck to you this year, I’m looking forward to see you making some great catches! You’re still #1 in my book!!

26. By GaryC on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I will always give coles slack because of the child abuse he went through as a child which was documented on the Oprah show.some things are more important than catching a touchdown.to survive that and thrive in the NFL deserves kudos.

27. By Ray on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

While I understand your feelings on Coles I have to disagree somewhat on whether to keep him or not, ’64 Tom. Yeah we can look back at all the stuff that really isn’t football related and say good riddance. But from a football standpoint, LC in my eyes offers more than the others. How many chances do we need to give Allison and Clowney before we say, you don’t have it and cut our ties? If these guys had what it takes we would have seen it by now, ESPECIALLY Clowney. People in here saying these guys haven’t been given a fair shot…BULL. You earn your shot by showing you can do it day in and day out in practice and obviously they don’t do something right. This ain’t politics, these coaches have too much on the line, they are going to play whoever gives them the best chance to win so they can keep their jobs. While you can question Coles decisions off the field, on the field he has been a pro’s pro. He blocks, he goes over the middle, he plays hurt, he doesn’t take plays off. From everything I’ve read, despite posts from others in here (not you), implying he’s a cancer and a bad teammate, he’s actually anything but….infact I get the impression he is actually quite a good teammate. But he wasn’t good with the media and irritated fans over the years so he gets this rap as a “bad guy”. So yeah I understand and even agree with some of what you say, but I would still take him over several of these guys who continually take up space on the sideline, but never seem to get in a game, or if they do the only way you know is you see their number in the huddle, cause they sure as hell don’t make any plays.

28. By Troy on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

We did get screwed with Coles on a couple of occasions, first leaving via FA ,I think the Jets offer matched the skins ,it was the outragous signing bonuses snyder was throwing around that was the difference ,and then we make another bad move giving them S.Moss for Coles back, via trade ,and we’ve lacked a deep threat for years until Braylon last came in lst season ,its just hard for me to continue to back a guy that whined for pretty much his whole Jet tenure just to twice leave when he didnt get what he wanted…

29. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Can’t really argue with anything you say about Coles and the other WRs, Ray, and I, too, gotta wonder why guys like Clowney haven’t gotten more time on the field. I’m more intrigued with Allison since this is really our only look at him and he looks okay on punts. But I’m also right there with Troy on Coles — how does this guy who was a leading whiner, as Troy points out, for the green and white suddenly achieve Chad/Chrebet status as some kind of majorly class guy? Sorry, I’m just not that sentimental, or that dishonest, and with this offensive unit that’s now scored about as much in three games as we need to score in one, it won’t kill me if Coles doesn’t make the squad or is cut after four games.

30. By Ray on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Troy your thinking of Chad Morton who also left that year along with I think Randy Thomas. We matched the offer from Morton but on the leagues advice didn’t match a bonus or something. It went to an arbitrator who ruled against us. The arbitrator was a REDSKINS season ticket holder!! But he didn’t think he should recuse himself from the case because he felt he could still be unbiased with his ruling…..yeah right, and his Skins also just happened to need a kick returner real bad.

31. By Tracy on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

LC will always be #87! You will be greatly missed.