• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 11:50 AM EST Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Herbie Teope of Chiefs Digest in Kansas City. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from Arrowhead Stadium.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Fri., Nov. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 08, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 10, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

Wides Out: Coles, Henry, Allison Released

Posted by Eric Allen on August 29, 2010 – 1:21 pm

When the Jets signed Laveranues Coles, there were no guarantees. And on Sunday, just two days after their third preseason game, the Green & White released Coles and waived three others players: WRs Marcus Henry and Aundrae Allison and DE Rodrique Wright.

The 5’11”, 200-pound Coles caught four balls for 19 yards in summer action. Last week he told reporters he was hopeful of playing a lot in the preseason finale at Philadelphia on Thursday, but he said “the clock is ticking” on his playing career.

“It’s pretty much here. Unless somebody makes me an offer I can’t refuse, which I doubt will happen, this is it,” Coles said. “Once the buck stops here, I’m done. I started here and that’s what I’m thankful for. I’ll be here in some capacity in the future. It might not be playing ball here, but I will be around the building so that’s one of the positive things about it.”

Head coach Rex Ryan, on a conference call with reporters this afternoon, wasn’t ruling out a return by Coles in the weeks ahead once the season starts.

“That’s definitely a possibility,” Ryan said. “Laveranues did an outstanding job for us. He’s a leader. I know he knows the system, he’s tougher than nails, a great teammate. I think that’s a real possibility.”

A third-round pick of the Jets back in 2000, he ranks fourth in franchise annals in receptions (459), fifth in receiving yards (5,941) and tied for fifth in touchdown catches (37). Last season, LC played with the Cincinnati Bengals and finished with 43 receptions for 514 yards and five TDs.

Henry, a sixth-round pick of the Jets out of Kansas in 2008, didn’t catch a ball this preseason after spending time on the practice squad in ’09. Allison, who possesses very good speed, had three receptions vs. the Giants to open the preseason but didn’t post any stats the past two games. He played 26 games and had 18 receptions for the Vikings in 2007-08, and his 104-yard kickoff return vs. Detroit on Dec. 2, 2007, established the mark for longest play in team history.

After DE Ropati Pitoitua went down with an Achilles’ injury against Carolina, “Hard Knocks” cameras got footage of Ryan asking Wright if he wanted to make the team. Wright may not now have that chance. He signed with New York’s AFC representative in March after starting nine games for the Dolphins in 2007, recording 37 tackles, 1.5 sacks and one fumble recovery.

The Jets roster now stands at 75 players, complying with the NFL’s Tuesday roster deadline. In the two o’clock hour, Coach Ryan will address the media on a conference call. We’ll have more details on that call later this afternoon.

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 27 Comments »

27 Responses to “Wides Out: Coles, Henry, Allison Released”

1. By kimosabe on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

…I would of waived Brunnel!…He looks like he has NO clue….

2. By frsnk on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

please cut mark brunell and make clemens the backup.

3. By GaryC on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

first came coles then came allison and next will be the Clown, as I said.By the way does shotty believe when you institute a screen play it takes off pressure for a line that is trying to work in younger talent.the opposing team won’t rush as hard knowing that they have to watch the screen.Slauson and Ducasse might vote for a screen every now and then.

4. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Jets thinking reminds me of someone suffering from alzheimer’s and I believe is another reason we look so lethargic on both sides of the ball …we bring in Coles a proven reciever play him one preseason game and cut him WHY!!!! even make that move doesn’t make any sence I understand cutting R-Wright A-Allison and M-Henry needing to get down to 53 but if I had my way I’d bring some1 from a team loaded with talent having no choice but to unload players with potential for that very reason instead of wasting moves like picking up Coles and letting him go this time is the most critcal part of setting your team up for success or failure be4 starting the season ..just like the very good points made by some about letting A-Fanica go now wasn’t the time T-J and Leon we can live with

5. By Alex.G on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Guess there freeing up the Xtra Cash for D.R

6. By Rob Z on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I dont get why we didnt keep coles, he isnt much anymore but he can still make an impact as a 4th receiver and in the slot

7. By jet80 on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Vikes will have Allison in record time!he really didnt get much of a chance this year,coaches must know alot more then we do.I agree with you guys, as much as ive been hoping for a vet back up for MS Brunnel looks Charles Barkley TERRRRBLE! CUT HIM SOON.

8. By scjoe on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I can understand the Coles move, but Allison was never, EVER, given a fair chance, similar to that of Clowney, C. Washington (who I believe will be included in the next round of cut’s, barring injury) and of course Henry, who had two chances-SLIM and NONE. You didn’t have to be an insider to figure that one out.

9. By Jimmer on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

We’re keeping 2FB’s, we’re gonna have to make that up elsewhere on offense. B.Smith and Clowney are sticking around since they are on Westoffs ST’s. Clowney is practically begging for the gunners job, and doing well at it. Smith does too many things to get cut. Look for Coles to come back after week 1, due to that entire salary rule for vets. Probably gone after week 4 though. That leaves the RB’s with an extra guy for the first week, then to the PS. Gholston seems to play way better at end and will cover some of the DE void. Outside LB is a concern with Pace out though.

10. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Like I said a week or two ago, J-Co, Holmes, Edwards, Smith, and Clowney with Taylor on the practice squad isn’t a bad way to go. I think it’s hard for us to know why Allison didn’t make it, maybe his punt returns didn’t give him the edge against Taylor, who’s also doing that. AA’s much better shot was last year, before we had Holmes or Edwards, but unfortunately he got hurt. If you guys are expecting me to dance on Coles’ grave, no, I won’t do that, but I do feel somewhat vindicated that Rex and the Jets aren’t as sentimental as some of us fans. When you can’t score practically any points through three pre-season games, you don’t really have the luxury of keeping guys just for old times’ sake. GaryC, was it you who asked how many years Clowney’s going to be “promising”? Maybe this is the year he actually plays a bit and we find out how good he is. I refuse to believe that lining him up with J-Co and Edwards now and then through the first four games will lead to the apocalypse.

11. By Gregg from CA on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

PLEASE tell me you didn’t lose my last post on this thread – it was a monster, but I thought I made some good points, but then the web site went all wonky right after I submitted it. I saw it in the “Awaiting Moderation” status, but now it’s not showing at all… *pout*

12. By al weiss on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

WE NEED REVIS NOW WE NEED REVIS NOW WOODYS AND REX HAVE NO CHOICE PAY HIM NOW THATS THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE UP FOR THE LOSE OF PACE AND POUHA

13. By RafMan on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I have to agree, Brunnel look awful, he made Clemens look like a starter.As far as coles i still have hope they bring him back i don’t know how many times i had to get his jersey out of my basement. Is it posible to bring back Chad Pennington as a back up, that would be good.

14. By Perk93 on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I hate to see Coles going. Jets should rethink this one.

15. By JP on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

So Rex says that Coles is a leader and he did an outstanding job…So they cut him.

huh???

16. By commentman on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

they should have cut brunell 1st, he was the one that made Coles look bad, just because he has a ring on his finger dosent mean he has enough for this team!! Clemens shows much more for me.

17. By TONY GARCIA on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

i agree brunell should be let go,did’nt like him in his prime no even less clemens hasbeen in the system over 4 yrs. i like ainge best hopefully jets will not dissapoint i’ve sufferd so many ups & downs its like a yoyo.plus our talent stacks up well against our divission.3-2 first five games were gold.

18. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Ouch Bad news Pace out at least 6 weeks he’s our best pass rusher with Thomas a close second unless Big jenks is at 100% keeping fingers crossed Harris Taylor and barking with Bart will have to pick up the slack they’ll get it done .. sorry to see Coles go the guy is a football player …Hope I’m wrong ..but you guys believing V-G will miraculously hit and take a hit become that guy all of sudden that’s a problem what happened he’s been MIA last 3seasons.. Oh right we used him at linebacker I forgot he’s a DE sorry V-G our mistake .in my opinion any1 truly believing a statement like that might be better served proof reading it 1st be4 shipping it in …Imagine any1 of us using that as an excuse for not performing on the Job we’d be pounding the pavement in no time flat

19. By Vincent on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Not sure who was cut, but I hope Larry Taylor wasn’t. I reckon this kid can be a great returner with some game time under his belt.

20. By Samson on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

After last year the Jets made alot of moves and made a huge effort to upgrade an already strong team. However this preseason has been an absolute nightmare and leaves me concerned with what kind of season this will be. This has all the trappings of a possible nightmare which is one of the reasons I wish Rex ryan would learn to keep his trap shut. The Offense has been pitiful all preseason with a few exceptions, Sanchez concerns me, Faneca’s replacements concern me, the loss of the leadership of TJ will be felt even if LT will be better, the Revis debacle (which I’m convinced if he’s not playing this year, it’s a waste season for us), Mark Brunell (who is horrible and never should have been signed), the lack of depth at Safety (Leonhard and or Poole get injured and we are done) and I could go on. Are there bright spots? A few but not many. I can see this team imploding since Ryan was busy painting a bullseye on our back. Remember his Daddy was a great D co-ordinator but was a mediocre at best head coach. I think the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree. Now Pace is out the first 4 games at least. Nothing seems to be going right and thats what happens when you run your mouth like Ryan has, you get humbled. I’ve been a fan of the organization since Namath and have suffered alot of dissapointments but have hung in there but this season could be the perfect train wreck and after the optimism I had after last year it will be hard to not say “same ol Jets”. I hope they are playing possum and open up on Monday by whipping the Ravens but I got a bad feeling. Am I alone? or do others feel the same?

21. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I suppose in the current climate in which injuries are somehow seen as not part of football, Rex’s decision to rest the starters against the Eagles is predictable. Nevertheless, I think this is Rex as Allie Sherman, not Vince Lombardi. I’d play the starters, especially the O, for the entire first half. The offense hasn’t even come close to functioning and for all the talk about Sanchez working with the receivers so much in camp, him and Holmes look like they haven’t even been introduced. Actually, I think next year I’m going to stop reading these stories about who looks so great in camp, or at least put much less stock in them. Most of what I’ve read on this site has been about how great Sanchez and Brunell look in practice, how great the receivers look, how great some of the new DBs look…and then the games come and none of these folks, with a few exceptions (Cromartie, Wilson, LT and Greene, of course, Slauson) look all that great.

22. By Vincent on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

@Samson. I agree with many of your sentiments. If we were losing preseason games because we were playing our 2nd’s, fine. But we are playing pretty poor when our 1st’s are up against the opponent’s 2nd’s. I think the loss of Faneca is proving to be immense; not only are they giving Sanchez less time to think/throw, but they are getting to him and closing the RB lanes that were there last year. The OLine just seems out of sync. Thanks goodness LT seems to have a lot left in the tank at this stage; let’s hope he stays healthy and energized. Folk continues to worry me as does the inexperience of Wilson, who will be a great (yes, great!) CB in time. I think a few truths will be known after Wk1 vs the Ravens. Let’s wait and see. JETS FOREVER.

23. By Brian on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

You people are forgetting why we brought Brunell in. He was brought in to mentor Sanchez. WE needed a veteran QB to do this. Clemens has been on the team for 4 years now and has done nothing but hold a clip board. He, out of anyone should be the starter. Clemens wont get cut because he’s a viable 2/3 QB. Plus, no team out there will take him.

24. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Clemens might get cut to save some money, Brian, Brunell was signed to be the playing back-up and O’Connell can be the 3rd Inactive QB with Smith behind them in an emergency. Though Clemens did some holding on kicks last year, which is a point in his favor over O’Connell. Except KC would be rightly offended if he was made the Inactive QB and I’m not sure it’s a good idea to use up three active roster spots on Sanchez, Brunell, and KC. You’re sure right about one thing, though, which is that nobody seems to want KC.

25. By Brian on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

’64 – You have a point, it will save them some money. I forgot about Smith. He will definitly be used as the safety.

26. By Jimmyjet on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Coles always a producer for us. Should have kept him atleast until Holmes is allowed to play. Thanks for the all the hi-lights Mr. Coles.

27. By SteveM on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Jets running game looks solid and that’s the core of the team! if they can keep that going the passing will start to work as the unit builds more timing and that’s what pre-season is for. Sanchez looks like he is thinking a bit much but isn’t that expected, lets not over react here guys…with a solid running game and defense we are ahead of most teams in the league at this point.

GOOO JETS