• Wed., Oct. 01, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Wed., Oct. 01, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets special teams coordinator Thomas McGaughey, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 9:30 PM - 10:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Fri., Oct. 03, 2014 12:40 PM - 12:55 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Oct. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Mon., Oct. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Mon., Oct. 06, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 07, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Every Tuesday throughout the season, Jets fans can tune into Jets Extra Point, a weekly show that dissects the previous week's game with detailed analysis. The show will also feature exclusive interviews with Jets players and coaches. Host Brian Custer is joined by Ray Lucas, Tony Richardson, and a rotating panel of Jets on SNY analysts.

Rex: Clemens May Well Be Sticking Around

Posted by Randy Lange on August 30, 2010 – 4:03 pm

The question posed to Rex Ryan this afternoon was if, heading into the final preseason game at Philadelphia on Thursday night, Kellen Clemens is on the bubble.

Said Rex: “I would say he’s got a pretty strong chance of making this team.”

Said Kellen: “Score! It’s a heck of a lot better than it could’ve been.”

Many who’ve tried to handicap the Jets’ quarterback depth chart behind starter Mark Sanchez thought Clemens would be moving on, if only  because, as the fifth-year man acknowledged, “I think I’m a little more expensive than Kevin [O'Connell] is.”

KC channeled Yogi Berra on whether he’ll be on the Jets’ 53-man roster this season. “It certainly isn’t over till it’s over,” he said. “I think history has proven that.”

But he’s rolled with the punches and come off the deck in the first week up at Cortland to make a case that he still should be wearing the green and white.

“My approach has been pretty consistent. I didn’t get a chance to compete for the No. 2 job,” he said. “That’s one of those areas I was a little frustrated by earlier in camp. You’ve got to put your head down and push through it.”

He knows he hasn’t put up any big numbers in his preseason opportunities. He didn’t play against Washington and in the first two games his six drives resulted in three field goal attempts, two punts and a Joe McKnight lost fumble at Carolina. But he also knows what the practice grades say.

“Statistically, I haven’t blown anything away. My percentage is good, yards aren’t real high, I haven’t thrown a touchdown,” he said. “But from how I’ve graded out with the coaches, it’s been my best preseason ever”

Clemens will get to show a little more of his progress from that frustration at learning Mark Brunell, signed the week before camp started, was the No. 2. As Ryan said about his quarterback rotation for the Eagles game:

“Mark [Sanchez] will be the only one who doesn’t play. I anticipate us playing the other three, Brunell, Clemens and O’Connell.” In that order? “Probably … OK, since I mentioned them that way, let’s do it that way.”

Is this a critical game for Clemens then to survive final cuts, likely to be announced Saturday?

“I wouldn’t put it in the critical stage,” Ryan said, adding of others on the now 75-man roster, “Some of them are on life support.”

Rex Cetera

Ryan said of Brunell, who is thus in line to get the start against the Jets, “This is his best week so far in practice. I think he’s catching up to the playbook. He’s throwing it well this week.” But Rex added about the second offense, “I think we’d all feel a little better if we moved the ball.” Brunell’s eight series have ended in six punts (five three-and-outs) and two lost fumbles.

The coach had no updates on any Jets interest in free agent LB Adalius Thomas. “We need to play this game and find out exactly how we have the roster set up,” he said. “Really, we need to give these guys a good look, a good, hard look.”

Calvin Pace, who broke his foot when it appeared that Redskins RT Stephon Heyer landed on it during a third-quarter pass rush Friday night, is scheduled to have surgery on the foot in Charlotte, N.C., at 5 p.m. today.

Ryan gave an injury report, even though his first injury report of the season isn’t required by the league until next Wednesday. Did not practice: T Damien Woody (lower back), S Brodney Pool (ankle), LB Kenwin Cummings (shoulder), G Charlie Tanner (knee) and S Donovan Warren (head). DE Shaun Ellis and LB Josh Mauga were limited.

Tags: , , ,

26 Responses to “Rex: Clemens May Well Be Sticking Around”

1. By scjoe on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

There was a time not to long ago when I thought that Clemens would not even make it through training camp, but after witnessing the play of all of the QBs on this roster during the first three preseason games I say why not Clemens? Sanchez has been shaky at best, Brunell looks just awful, and O’ Connell looks totally lost! How can you sign a 39 year old QB, new to the system and proclaim him the #2 guy?? I never thought a whole lot of Clemens ability, but my God, look at the alternative. I hope I am wrong, but I think that this position is going to be the downfall for this team if there is one. Of course that is just on the basis of what we have seen so far in preseason, but what else do we have to base it on? At this point I truly wonder if the back up QB is even on this roster yet.

2. By Bear on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Yep. And after Thursday, Sanchez, Clemens, Brunell. Until those Sanchez knees start acting up again…

3. By IRA on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Randy,
    Kellen is a class guy and I really hope he plays well this week vs the Eagles. I just hope they aren’t showcasing him for a trade and pumping him up through the press. They said the same about Kerry and he was gone a few days later. Bottom line if they want to carry 3 QB’s Kellen needs to be on this team. Brunell can help both Kellen and Sanchez. Lets hope Kellen and or Brunell only get reps in mop up duty at the end of some big Jets wins.
    GO JETS!!!!!

4. By Frank on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

A Thomas will be signed after the first week so the team will not be on the hook for the vet minimum the entire season. The same is true for Coles if neither is signed by then. I really am not worried about the D even minus Pace and Revis. I am really worried about the O and Sanchez as well as the kicking game those will be much bigger issues.

5. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

The guy just won’t go away! Just kidding, KC’s a good guy but I don’t think he’s ever going to be that good a QB, certainly not for the Jets. Of course, I would’ve been just fine with keeping him as the backup instead of going hog-wild over Brunell, who’s shown nothing in the games. Schotty’s thing in that Q&A on this site about how it’ll be good to have a vet QB to talk to Sanchez on the sidelines when Schotty’s too furious to talk to him was pretty funny. I would think somebody, the OC or the QB coach, could control their temper enough to have a word with the $50 million bonus baby after a bad play or series. Anyway, if I was KC I’d say no, I don’t want to be the third QB, if I’m not second let me go. Though I know it’s easier to say that when some team has shown some interest in you…

6. By preston on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

first off please sign this man revis , do what ever and how ever you gotta do it. and i would love if we gave adalius thomas a chance to play for us being cp is out for a while . and i really think mr sanchize should be playing in this next game as well he didnt prove ANYTHING THUS FAR but still throwing great passes to the other team. im soooooooo tired of watching mark drop back wondering if hes gonna throw another int, he should give back some of his earnings so like vernon gholston did until he earns it .

7. By commentman on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

they better let Clemens show what he has, he is a great back up but no one recognizes it

8. By dougmc on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I’ve hung on believing Gholston will catch on and be reallly good and now the time is here with Pace going down.I think if anything ever happens to Sanchez that Clemmons woulld be good enough for awhile.Give Adalious Achance and see what happens after week one.I know Kellen has looked shaky in the pocket but, he’s no better or worse than any other QB coming thru Hofstra or Floram Pk. except for Namath and hopefully Sanchez as well.They are all over Clowney…He’s either cut or going to be awesome.SignRevis and let’s go get the Ravens!!!J-E-T-S…JetsJetsJets!!!

9. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Guys That Some Said We Should Pick Up That I’m Glad We Didn’t: Denver cuts Justin Fargas, who averaged 3.8 last year with 491 yards, after his knee surgery in March, his failed physical for the Raiders, and his 10 carries for 17 yards for the Broncos. I’d much rather see what McKnight, Washington, and Conner can do carrying the ball this year than keep picking up guys like this.

10. By Ray on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Ok I saw Mike Mc was back with a couple comments, where you been? Now how about Spicer? For that matter what ever happened to Drew or Cedric? Man,it would be good to hear from some of the OBG’s in here….

11. By Patrick4Jets4ever on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

This is the first year I’ve been comfortable with Clemens. I have to say I’ve not been a fan of his. I’m sorry but Mark Brunnel scares me this year. I have been a fan of his but the rust hasn’t shakin off. Kellen makes the team because Erik Ainge isn’t here, yet. I have been impressed by Ainges improvements over the years. O’Connell has not impressed me either don’t see him staying over Kellen unless for money and they know Ainge is coming back. Where’s Erik ?

12. By Mr.Green on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

This is the coaching side of Rex I don’t like. Instead of saying something complimentary about some players he uses negatives or put downs. Like making Brunnelle the # 2 when he signed and practically saying KG will be gone. His boys are his boys. Everyone else is just fill-in. He doesn’t think before he says things. Like last year when he didn’t even know the team was still alive in the playoffs.

13. By Alex.G on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Crunch Time at Camp Jets. LETS GO GUYS GET IT TOGETHER AND MOVE FORWARD. and sign Revis Already looks like we need all the help we can get.

14. By IRA on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

scjoe, Thats why the Ravens were smart in investing $ in Bulger. Grossman was also available but the Jets chose to go in another direction.

15. By russ on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

3 & 3 is a goal of any competitive team in first six games….after bye week the season begins for real…..

16. By Row on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Rex naming Brunell the #2 in ridiculous. He needs to be released. I can’t believe we released Allison after IR’ing him last year. McKnight was a victim of circumstance, Allison would have ran that back. Mcknight was on the ground after that run like Jerome Bettis when he’s having an athsma attack, just unprofessional. I can’t believe this guy still isn’t in shape! The Pace loss makes VG a starter. I’ll take it. I see us using a lot more nickel then 3-4 this year. Holmes fumbling shows he isn’t in the games. Players are already showing their frustration with Sanchez. We should name LT #1.

17. By Ed in Tucson on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Don’t forget Brad Smith, he’s our Ace in the hole.

18. By scjoe on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Ira, you are exactly right about the Ravens signing of Bulger, you have no idea how much I wished the Jets would have made that deal, especially in an uncapped year. I hope it doesn’t come back to bite them. They made some great moves in the off season, then again they made a few very questionable ones.

19. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Green and Row, I agree with most of your points. In fact, Row, I agree with more of your points than I think I ever have. Why spend the money on Brunell when he looks this bad? If we’re going to save $ by cutting Coles, I’d do the same with Brunell. KC can be the backup holder for kicks just as well or better than Brunell, having done it in games last year. I can also see naming LT the starter but using Greene a lot from the very first game, not like last year after Leon went down. Don’t agree about Holmes fumbling, though, especially when he’s had so shockingly few reps with the first team. The point I agree with most, though, is yours, Mr Green, about Rex not thinking. One of the things that’s “on the bubble” for me this year is him. That doesn’t mean I don’t want to give him four or five years to make his mark, but it’s clear he has some very strange weaknesses. He didn’t think when he swelled Revis’ head to the size of the unisphere (old reference for real New Yorkers), didn’t think when he started this constant emphasis on the Super Bowl, and he doesn’t think before making some of these flippant remarks about his own players. There’s a lot of things about him that I like, most of all that the players love him. What I don’t like about him is that he really seems not to have that much good input into the offense and that he doesn’t know when to stop talking and think. He seems to believe that anything but shooting from the hip, whether what he’s saying is smart or not, equals “not being who he is.” Well, there’s an unproductive aspect of narcissism in that, too. I’m not that concerned about Rex not getting to be who he is every minute of the day, I’m concerned about building a winning team that’ll stand up for a whole lotta days.

20. By GaryC on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I think jets need to go back to the kelly green jerseys of the sixties and seventies. Maybe some Boston Celtic mystique will rub off.Speaking of bringing in some veterans have jets though about putting a call into Patrick Kerney who retired this year.He had a bum shoulder but who knows. He might be getting the itch to come back. Jets do need depth along defensive line and he is younger than Taylor.

21. By Richard Balzer on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

With all the pre-season hype, It’s looks like its going to be the same old Jets, because of the bad decisions made on who is going and who is staying.

22. By JetsRexKILL on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

lets be HONEST: SANCHEZ IS THE WEAK LINK……team is built to win sanchez is only year 2 and showing last years poor tendencies early so far…..brunell is aweful and looks every bit of 40years……KC has never been given a chance…i believe its his overly laid back attitude that coaching staffs dislike……i think at the end of the year KC WIL BE GIVEN HIS CHANCE……the pressure on RR is gonna be overwhelming if sanchez puts this team in the hole early this season.

23. By SquirrelMaster on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I was against the revis signing as much as anyone but looks like we have no choice. with Pace out we are gonna need Revis for those funky blitz packages because our pass rush is just awful. Sanchez and the paasing offense need to step it up big time. Ball control is the name of the game and we need to ground and pound, but with no legitmate passing threat teams will catch on quickly and stack the box Keep our D off the field so that when they are in there they are 100%. Injuries are starting to look like a concern already. Pitouia, Pace, and you know there is gonna be someone else in there (Jenkins is always a possibility).

24. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

SquirrelMaster, it’s not just a matter of saying oh well, we can’t be afford to be mad at Revis, let’s meet his outrageous demands. We might actually NOT HAVE THE MONEY — duh, unlike the U.S. Treasury we can’t just print the stuff — to give him exactly what he wants. We certainly don’t seem to want to give him exactly what he wants, not when we have other problems on both O and D. If Revis could somehow get by with, say, 7 years at $10 mil with $5 million guaranteed — and it’s absurd to suggest that any sane person would turn up his nose at that — we’d have a lot more money to spend on other players. And not just new guys but also David Harris, who’s patiently doing his job and waiting for a new deal rather than making a nuisance of himself and hurting the team.

25. By Mike Hennessy on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

It’s good they picked Clemens. He’s young, he knows the offense and he’s been improving steadily. His passes have zip and are accurate. Give him protection and good receivers and he could do well. If Sanchez goes down or doesn’t get it done, I’m comfortable with KC.

26. By Downtown on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

clemans has ot been given a chance