• Mon., Oct. 20, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Mon., Oct. 20, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 21, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

Amidst the Pack of ‘Backers, Satele Believes

Posted by Randy Lange on September 1, 2010 – 2:57 pm

Today was a quiet day at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. The players were off to the annual Kickoff Luncheon at Cipriani Wall Street today, and then after some team-building activities it was on by bus to Center City, Philadelphia, tonight.

Then comes a long day’s journey into night as many of the Jets on the back end of the 75-player roster will be playing Thursday night against the Eagles at the Linc for a roster spot this season and maybe for their pro careers. It can be a time of nervous introspection or even fear of the unknown.

Unless you’re Brashton Satele. If the free agent rookie linebacker’s got butterflies heading into this important game for him, he’s netted them up and mounted them in his collection book.

“Never. It’s never going to be the end,” Satele said plainly when I asked him if he contemplated if football would be over for him if he’s waived by Saturday morning. “I’m going to try my best to get where I want to be. I believe you become what you believe. Whatever you want to be, you just have to believe it and you become it. Nothing in life comes easy, so you just have to keep fighting for what you want.”

Such quiet, unshakable belief has always fascinated me as I’ve covered the NFL for more decades than I care to admit. Where did Brashton’s conviction come from?

“From my church, Pastor Art Sepulveda,” he said. “He’s the owner of Word of Life Academy in Hawaii. He installed that into me a long time ago. I took that going from high school to college and from college to here.”

Satele’s in an odd position because while every free agent has a story for why he wasn’t drafted, the University of Hawaii product has an especially painful tale. Head coach Rex Ryan said up at SUNY Cortland that Brashton’s “one of those under-the-radar guys who showed up and is doing a great job for us.”

But on an edition of “Hard Knocks,” the defensive coaches were overheard saying “the kid’s hurt all the time.” Satele heard that observation and he just wants to remind that there have been two injuries he’s had to fight through.

One was the torn shoulder muscle at Hawaii. He played with it all junior season but didn’t get it surgically repaired until he retore it last summer before his senior season. So he went from a lower-round draft pick off of 32 value boards.

Then came day 3 of camp, when he left practice with an ankle injury.

“I’m still waiting for it to get 100 percent so I can show my full ability,” he said. “It’s frustrating because it’s kind of aching and sore but there’s nothing I can do about it. No one in footballs 100 percent. I just have to push through it.”

Despite having that stacked against him, he went out for the entire fourth quarter of the Redskins preseason game and made a pair of solo tackles on defense.

“That was my first game since December ’08,” he said with a smile. “So it was exciting. It was good to finally get out there and go full-speed.”

Because of the injuries to Satele, Josh Mauga and Calvin Pace, the Jets have brought in a passel of ‘backers recently, such as Boris Lee, Tim Knicky and Tuesday’s waiver pickup of Ricky Foley, a 12-sack man in the CFL last year. Add in guys with experience like Lance Laury and Kenwin Cummings and Cory Reamer and the depth chart is looking like a bus station at the moment. Some are more suited for outside than inside work, but all want jobs and most are not guaranteed anything other than an opportunity some time Thursday night in the south section of the City of Brotherly Love.

That’s all Satele wants.

“I’m just ready to go out there,” he said, “to do my best and show the coaches what they want to see. I just want to be explosive, physical. I want to be myself out there.”

Tags: , , , ,

16 Responses to “Amidst the Pack of ‘Backers, Satele Believes”

1. By Vincent on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

With an attitude like that, I want him to succeed. Go bro!

2. By Clarke W. Griswald on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

what’s up with cory reamer?

3. By scjoe on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

Satele is caught up in a numbers game along with Mauga, Foley,Lee, and Kinicky. I guess it will come down to who can play both ILB and OLB and who Westhoff likes the most, that is where I think Laury has an advantage over the rest of these guys. It is to bad Satele had to fight through the injuries, I would have loved to see what he had, maybe he can do just that in the final preseason game.

4. By IRA on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

I ma not happy that the coaches are concerned about the locker room and the players having no fire in them. There has to be a sense of urgency. It’s too early to tell yet but it sure seems that just maybe they made too many moves this offseason getting rid of some leaders in that room. They will never admit it but you can bet they wish they had Faneca back right now.
    Aso Dockett signs a 4 yr deal for 48 mill with 30 guaranteed. Its time the Jets give Revis his guaranteed money otherwise he will miss games.
    Enjoy the game tonight and lets hope Washington and some others play real well.
    GO JETS!!!!!

5. By SquirrelMaster on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Randy/EA … my comments never get posted. Why is that?

6. By Randy Lange on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

SquirrelMaster, this is the fourth comment I’ve received from you since Aug. 1. Three were posted as soon as I got to them, one was not posted. If you’ve sent more, I have not received them.

7. By scjoe on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Nice story about Woodhead. It will be interesting to see if either he or Larry Taylor make the roster. Taylor at least has a chance to make the practice squad if he don’t make the final roster, Woodhead, to my knowledge does not. I find it hard to believe that a #2 or #3 can make the roster solely on what he does in the final preseason game against the oppositions 2s and 3s. They have to consider the whole body of work and the number game at each position. As Mr T and Rex both said on Hard Knocks, there are going to be some very difficult decisions on the bottom part of the roster. I would not only like to see one of the two make the roster but make an impact on KO and PRs. Taylor in particular has the dynamics to be a special return man with consistent reps.

8. By GaryC on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

the jets need a guy like this who flys around like polomalu does with steelers. He brings that anything goes theory.If he is Somoan he has to be a rock.

9. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Ira, I think you’re micro-managing and overreacting. If you put the “Hard Knocks” cameras inside every NFL locker room, you’d learn some interesting things about pro athletes, that’s for sure. (I think you can learn some interesting things about them just from the Tweets on this site.) As for too many changes, so far TJ and Leon have shown ZERO in the pre-season aside from being able to still put on a uniform, so where’s your concern about those changes vs. picking up LT, McKnight, Conner, and playing Greene more? And as for Dockett re Revis, that’s an absurd amount of guaranteed money to give him, he’s not nearly that good, Revis has a much better case even if I’m against paying out large amounts of guaranteed bucks. But at the end of the day Revis will miss games because he’s okay with missing games, not because we’re driving him into homelessness. Frankly, I’m a lot more concerned with the escalating rates of crime and poverty on your native Staten Island than I am with Revis buying Monaco or whatever he plans to do with $160 million. The long and the short of it is that everyone who’s complaining about PSLs, ticket prices, concession prices, parking prices, etc. had better wake up to the fact that it’s not Monopoly money we pay the players with, it’s OUR money. As for Faneca, neither Slauson nor Ducasse nor anyone else is likely to do worse on pass protection than he did last year, I was consistently surprised at the pressure coming in from the left side and how no one wanted to talk about it, as if it was taboo to criticize our twelve-time all-Pro LG who couldn’t pass block anymore.

10. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

And while you’re at it, Ira, please give me your take on how the Jets should deal not only with Sean Gilbert but with his mother, Revis’ grandmother, who weighed in on the issue of her grandson’s holdout today (see ESPN piece). I’m sure she’s a very nice lady but this whole thing is turning into a first-class satire of what’s wrong with pro sports today. (Who will we hear from next, Sarah Palin? Michelle Obama? Lindsey Lohan?) If I was an owner or GM, I’d set a few boundaries politely but firmly in situations like this — as the Chargers have done with Jackson and as I hope the Jets will keep doing with Revis — and then get back to building a winning football team, one that’s made up of players who give a damn about a little more than their own already staggering wealth.

11. By scjoe on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

64Tom, I agree with the bulk of your comments, but the one I do disagree with is the fact that Slauson, and especially Ducasse are both better pass blockers at this point in time then Faneca is/was. I am not disputing the fact that Faneca did not excel at pass blocking, just the fact that the other two are in any way better. At this point in time it is fair to say Sanchez is far from a franchise QB, but it also fair to say he is our best option, with that being said, it scares the heck out of me when Ducasse especially, is in there on passing downs. That is not to downplay his ability in any way, just that he is a rookie, from a small school, and playing out of position from where he played in college anyway. He needs more time to develop and the thought of him being in there full time, should anything happen to Slauson any time soon, scares me.

12. By GaryC on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

It is time to take the first over under of the season.when will we see the jets first screen pass of year and first pass over 20 yards to keller.over or under the first 5 games.

13. By rudizzille22 on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

I watched Brashton play when he was healthy in Hawaii. He is what every coach wants in linebacker, tough, physical, a real banger!! Not sure if he makes this squad but his want to will land him on a roster somewhere. If they have patience the jets will end up with a hell of a linebacker!

14. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

I hear ya, scjoe, but you also have to factor in the possibility that Faneca, a year older when he’s already pretty old, might’ve been even worse at pass blocking this year. And that Slauson, like all rookies who work out okay, could get a lot better between now and December. Sanchez and Greene sure did in ’09. As for for what happens if Slauson goes down, well, we weren’t gonna be able to keep Faneca on the practice squad in case of something like that. I’m sure we’d search the waiver wire or dial up the Ty Law of LG’s if that happened, unless somebody who’s already on the roster now was looking really good to Rex and Callahan.

15. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

I do and still like A-Fanica one of the very best to play the position that said Slauson will be just fine he’s not the problem .. what Fanica Fans here need to understand its more about Sanchez being daze and confused not executing our offence not the protection.. Ira I certainly agree with your statement about Leaders in the locker room and losing them also about Docket he doesn’t deserve that money but you can’t be serious about your last statement on Revis he in my opinion is one main reasons this team looks so lethargic on both sides of the ball that and hard knocks your prediction about him coming in by Sept 13 may or maybe agian my opinion I for one don’t want him back blackmail is for thugs not football players how bout this let him honor his word then talk after 2011 other then that let him Sean Gilbert his agent or whoever sit and play cards and leave football to the pros

16. By Doug on Sep 3, 2010 | Reply

I’m disgusted that revis cares so little about his team and their goals to win a superbowl!!!!!!! Revis FIRE ur agents take a fair amount of $ and go win a damn superbowl what the hell is wrong with you?are you gonna hold out the season be locked out next year and go down like this……..