• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show co-hosted by Jeane Coakley and Brian Custer with analysts Ray Lucas and Erik Coleman, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 15, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

CHREBET: Thoughts on Opening Day

Posted by Wayne Chrebet on September 9, 2010 – 9:01 am

Here is Wayne Chrebet’s first blog of the season for newyorkjets.com:

Welcome to my weekly blog. I’ll be here every Thursday with my take on Jets football. Writing is not my forte (my wife gave me that word), so try and take it easy on me for the first few weeks.

Now, my topic for the day. Opening Day, what does it mean to me? I had 11 opening days. Eleven clean slates with hopes of winning the Super Bowl. Eight months of dreams and hopes, from the last game of the previous season till the new season’s first game.

I can’t lie. We had some years where we had better chances than others. But we always had a chance.

For me, the Parcells era was my first taste of obtaining our dream. Bill’s first season, our first game, my third opener, we beat the Seahawks in Seattle, 41-3. We didn’t make the playoffs that year, but there was an excitement in the air after some bad seasons.

My first two years we were 3-13 and 1-15. You think you were miserable watching it? Try playing for the team. Forget about the fans — when your family and friends start making fun of you, you know it’s bad.

The phrase “let’s just eat in” was a frequent comment in our house. Eating in public was hard to do sometimes after a bad loss. Didn’t matter if I was with my kids or not, people weren’t afraid of saying what was on their minds. Luckily, people appreciated what I was doing on the field, so they didn’t bust me too bad about that. But I still caught some of it. Certainly not as bad as others. Some fans are brutal.

But I know how they feel. I grew up going to the Stadium and scalping tickets once or twice a year with my father. So I heard the boos. I am ashamed to say that I booed, too. Not for the Jets, of course, just the Giants. I’m lying, but who cares at this point?

OK. The 1998 season, Bill’s second, was a lot like this season. Which FINALLY brings me to my point. That season, expectations were high. A lot like this year. Bill changed the whole persona of the team and the franchise. We had a good team and people knew it. And we knew it.

If you are a Jets fan, you know what happened. We had a great season but lost in the AFC Championship Game up in Denver. After that, we didn’t get close again.

There are a lot of similarities between the ’98 team and this one. We had an older team. We played with a tremendous amount of confidence. We knew we could win every game. So does the 2010 team. So do the fans.

Here’s the difference. This team has swagger. People can say they’re cocky, say we haven’t won anything since 1968. All that doesn’t matter. We had teams when I played that we didn’t look forward to playing. We knew we could win, but we knew we had a tough day in store for us.

The 2010 Jets are that team. Rex laid the foundation last year. A foundation that said this isn’t the same old Jets. We can play and beat any team on any given day. And we are going to hit you in the mouth play after play for 60 minutes while we’re doing it. Other teams will say, “Oh yeah, we will do the same to you”. Some might. But watch a replay of any game last year and you’ll see who did and didn’t.

Now, I am pro Jets all the way. No one will doubt that. But the film doesn’t lie. I watch the games. I go down in my basement and watch them by myself every Sunday. I am a one-person tailgate. Sad, but that’s how I watch the game. And yes, I miss it that much.

I don’t make predictions. Haven’t made one since I guaranteed that 1996 would be better than 1995, and that’s when we went 1-15. What I do see is that this is a team that has the talent and the coaching to win, and that’s all you can ask for. GO JETS.

Tags:
Posted in Special Contributor | 116 Comments »

116 Responses to “CHREBET: Thoughts on Opening Day”

1. By Tom B on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

hey Wayne great job one of my favorite jets of all time. Hero of one of my favorite games of all time the Flashlight game.

2. By JetsVille51 on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Chrebet,

You’ll always be my favorite Jet. I wore your jersey the day of your retirement and almost every stranger I walked into had something really nice to say about you. For a day living in the city, It felt like I lived in a small tight-nit and warm community.

It was cool to get your insight and thoughts from the inside of a players perspective that we don’t get to see.

3. By SteveC on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Well said, Wayne you are my all time favorite Jet because you were tough as nails and was as clutch as they come. .Greats hands and you werent afraid to play with the big boys & take a hit. For all the little guys out their who love sports do yourself a favor and try and emulate this guy…… First class all the way. look forward to reading your weekly comments. A fan forever. Steve C

4. By Lou on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,

I remember those years!!! But one constant all JETS fans knew was you were going to play your heart out!! We always noticed that. I am looking forward to your blogs this year. I can’t wait for Monday night and get this season started, last year was a great season and teams seems so much better.

Thank you for all the great memories.

5. By TJ Decker on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you Wayne. This team has all the talent in the world. They just need to put the pieces together. I have always been a big time fan of you. You were an outstanding receiver. If we had to get a first down, throw it to Chrebet. He’ll get it. JETS ALL THE WAY!

6. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wow, Chrebet writes really well! He should write a book, or at least replace some of those hacks on the NFL website.

7. By billy lamachine hayes on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

FORTE????? AMY, PLEASEEEEEE STOP GIVING HIM SUCH BIG WORDS. I GOTTA GO LOOK IT UP TO SEE WHAT IT MEANS

8. By Fish Hunters on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

You know you are one of the most beloved Jets of all time! Very glad you are being a part of the franchise! Great to hear from you and look forward to it EVERY week! Hey Wayne. Why don’t you go into coaching? You’d be a great receivers coach!

9. By jzito on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,

I will never forget you, you played your heart out every game, no matter the record of the team, no matter how bad we were, there you were giving it all, thank you for being a great example of what it means not to give up, but to overcome, if we win it this year, i hope you get to be a big part of it because you deserve it, I look forward to your blogs this year….. God bless Wayne

10. By Stacie on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne….
    You are the reason I started watching football. You are and always will be MY FAV!!! Ever since 97 I have been an avid Jets fan! I was so sad to see you go! I look forward to your weekly blogs!
    Thanks for making me LOVE the game!
    Stacie

11. By geo102@aol.com on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne I followed you throughout your great carrear with the Jets. Some games were great and some not so great. But one thing I could say is you always came to play. Gloved the way youwould play the slot, it would be third down and I new the ball was coming to you. You would make that highlight catch knowing you were going to get hit hard. Thanks for those days man. You would make a great coach showing those books how it is done. Thanks again.

12. By R, Mateus on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Hey Wayne I think it’s great to see you blogging on this site. I agree the Jets have that spark again…the spark you guys had in the Parcell days thanks for your opinions and most of all the great plays and excitement you gave us fans for 11 seasons. I’m going to look forward to reading your blog every week. One other thing, ever consider a comeback? Thanx Wayne

13. By Taso on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

beautifully said.

One of the best Jets of all time and not on the ring of honor, what a disgrace. Nobody played with more honor and class.

14. By Joe on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Hey Wayne nice to see you are on here! You are one of my all time favorite Jets! Loved the way you played the game and your whole attitude about football. Old school!!!! Plus being a jersey guy, my age and size I just thought you showed the world what a small guys from Jersey can do in the NFL!!! Looking forward to reading your blog and telling us how it is!
    I do agree that these Jets are like the 1998 Jets and honestly that was the best year for me to be a Jets fan. I just hope we can get back there again and this time win it!!! Rex is a great coach and I love what he has done to this team! IF he gets this team back to what they been saying he will go down as the BEST jets coach in history and be a hero! GO JETS!!!!!!

15. By magicmarker on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

No man since Joe Willie better represented our team than Wayne. Funny, seeing as how different he is than Broadway Joe. Can’t wait to hear his thoughts throughout the season.

16. By Castro on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne “the Pain” Chrebet

Like Most people said your one of my favorite Jets of all time.

Great blog man looking forward to your blogs, Side note Danny Woodhead reminds me of the way you played.

17. By Kyle on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,

You have always been my favorite player and probably always will be. I have your jersey hangin up in my “man room”. I’m happy to hear you will be contributing every thursday. You are were and always will be a true JET. Cheers on some good words!

18. By RobertE on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

You’re a story teller from the heart. Your writing style is just perfect for the blog. Loved your grit and dedication as a player.

19. By Bob on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne , if they all play with the intensity you brought to every game that you played in they will be very successful.The talent is obvious hope they can keep the focus and the intensity.
    Truly enjoyed watching you play for both the Jets and at Hofstra

20. By William on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Hey Wayne, Big fan here..you missing it only reinforces how much passion you played with. If only half of the guys in the NFL played as hard as you did the game would be even better to watch. I have your football card up in my office still. Enjoy the season! ITS GO TIME>>>

21. By Nancy D on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,
    You are my favorite Jet of all times, along with Vinny. I can’t wait to read your blog every week.

Thank you for the beautiful memories and for your hard work. It was always appreciated.

22. By Pete on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,

You are by far my favorite Jet of all time. I have been going to games since your rookie year and no one brought more toughness and heart to the game. Great insight and wish you could be out there still getting those clutch 3rd down conversions

23. By Sean on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Hey not bad at all Wayne, I will looking foward to reading this each thursday. I still wear your jersey only each game day and each time i must have three or four people come up to me in refrence to the jersey and say ” i love that guy”
    thanks for the memories

24. By Scott section 104 on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, you have the insiders view of how things are from an inside the locker room standpoint. It’s different from outside. I think your right when you say the foundation was laid last year. The question will be whether Sanchez from a 2nd year standpoint holds ground or takes a step back. I’ve heard and can see from the practices that Sanchez is making strides but is it enough. I think from what I’ve seen that the team is better, except at left guard where there is a question mark. But that’s why you play the games. Paper champ means nothing. More hope than I can remember since 98

25. By Mike on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Hey Wayne, I’m the same way when it comes to watching the Jets…if i’m not at the game i sit at home by myself (wearing my #80 jersey of course). I get pretty passionate and scare others away so my wife and daughter often leave me be on Sundays

26. By MiamiJet on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

What’s up Wayne, Thank you so much for all those years you gave us. It is nice to see you come back and still be involved with the organization. I have been a long time fan of yours since 1995. You are the one and only reason that I became a JETS FAN and living in Miami it has not been easy. However I still stand strong and remember how you almost single handed beat the Dolphins in that Monday NIght Miracle in 2000. Hope to continue checking out the blogs.

Thank you.

27. By BGB on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, thanks for the positive words. BTW I named my cat after you and he grew up to be a beast just like you.

28. By bklynjet on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, Thanks for the blog, keep it coming. I’m very optimistic about this years team. I’m curious about how well all these new personalities will jell. I’m sure Schott and Rex have it under control. I think the biggest question is, the improvement of Mark Sanchez. If he has any degree of improvment that may be enough to put them over the top. Go Jets!!

29. By Jim on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,
    I have an authentic jersey of yours that you personalized for my sons and it serves as a reminder of what a great person, not just football player, you are! You sponsored a fundraiser in the late 90’s and I jumped right on that opportunity to help in return. I know there are some cereal boxes around with your face on them! I hope you make it to the Circle of Honor some day!

30. By 37 year fan on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne , I have got to ask about The Miracle At The Meadowlands Game . That was The Greatest Game ever . …Legendry . Is it true you and Vinny were drawing up plays in the dirt ? … 235 yards in the fourth quarter Alone . Jumbo catching that last catch . Miami Dolphins fans absolutely sick . I remember it like yesterday .

31. By coat on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

hey Wayne thanks for this and everything else you did for the Jets my son just turned three in may while he has alot of jets stuff the only repeat things he has are your Jersey you know they grow fast and you and your Jersey are timeless in my opinion and I’ll be teling him about you and the incredible things you did for as long as I’m alive—–Thank you

32. By 37 year fan on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

That ’98 season was beautiful ……. Man , when Terrell ran down the sideline in that championship game it broke my heart …. We were so close to a Championship that year. ….It felt like we had it . It was so close you could taste it .

33. By 37 year fan on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Back in the middle 90s My Dad used to call me ” The Closet Jets Fan ” because there were some years in there where you couldn’t even come out in public as a fan … We would hide and watch the games ….It was great when you got there and things started turning around .

34. By george on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

i agree ring of honor for sure. if not you than who

35. By Giovanni , Toronto Canada on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

You’re the best Wayne…I saw you and vinny connect on Mon night football agaisnt the Dolphins 5 or yrs ago and that night I became a JETS fan….you can catch just about anything and your heart showd on the field…. true Jet…peace brother

36. By john lepre on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

your the total package dear Wayne….Class and more class….
    you have the street cred and the love of the fan base……………………

I hope you part of the new jets until Rex asks you to catch a few for old time sakes….

Bless you and all those you love Wayne…Long live number 80!!!!

john from toledo

37. By Mary A in NJ on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Hi Wayne! What a FANTASTIC addition to the Jets website! I am so happy to see your blog! I have been a Jets fan since 1981 and I have to say that you truly embody the heart and spirit of being a Jet. I always appreciated your efforts, whether the game was won or lost! A true hero on the field and in life! I’m also glad you’re a fellow New Jerseyan! My parents were in Garfield a few years back and took a picture of the sign bearing your name…glad to see your hometown appreciates you too! Thanks for sharing your thoughts as the 2010 season is finally starting! I’ll look forward to reading your thoughts in the weeks to come! I am cautiously optimistic about the season…it comes from 29 years of ups and downs!! GO JETS!!!

38. By larry kroplin on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Chrebet. You played the game with guts and a ton of heart. Players like you are what makes football so great to watch. Thanks!

39. By joe li/fla on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

hey wayne,who said you can’t write?-what insight from a player! i can relate to the down years-i was laughed at for being a jet fan! i remember the days of practice at hofstra. you were the first(if not anyone else) that came out to sign autographs for the fans. it must have paid-off-those kids are still wearing that # 80 jersey (young adults) all over this country. thanks for being the player you been and the person you are. good luck with this new “gig”.

40. By HAMMER on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

You are a class act, Wayne. Hope you are healthy and happy and life is treating you well. Loved the blog, looking forward to reading the next one.

41. By stillwayne1 on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, this was a great post. I’ve been a Jets fan for a little over 40 years. Its always awesome getting the perspective of someone who was in the trenches and played the game. You not only played the game but you excelled and I’m sure you’ve been told you OVERACHIEVED! Me and my young son are your biggest fan and proudly wore your jersey. This team does look alot like the 98 team. Lots of parallels. We both got to the AFC championship game and led at halftime only to lose the game. As you know lots of things can happen in a 16 game season. No team can plan for Injuries so hopefully we will have a relattiely healthy year. The anticipation of this season is more than its been probably since 1998. Looking forward to an awesome season. Oh and the Miracle at the Meadowlands against Miami was one of my favorite Jets game and you were incredible in that game.. Thanks for the memories!!

42. By Kayla on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne- I like to say I was a “Jets fan from birth” and watched you while growing up. Your dedication, poise and love for the game were an inspiration for me. Great blog and I look forward to reading it every week! And for the record…it’s your jersey I’ve been wearing for the opener for years and it’ll be your jersey I’ll be wearing Monday! Go Jets!

43. By Tim O, Rochester, NY on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

wayne you are the reason i became a jets fan too. you and barry sanders are my two favorite players ever. im 29 for the record. it was a pleasure and thrill to watch you play. still love wearing your jersey out to the bar on sunday!

44. By Mike on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Great Job Wayne!!!

Always loved watching you play for us. A class act. As I watch this kid Woodhead I constantly find myself thinking of you and how he has that same panache you gave us for so many years. You will always be missed.

45. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

As I read through all this love for Wayne which I share with you all BTY .. reminds me why I love the game of football I kind of lost my way there for a while with all this greed and selfishness lately, thanks Wayne I love you man.. of all our moves the last few months having Wayne on board and involved ranks right up there at the top ..how many times you played injured how many clutch 1st downs how many blocks you threw for your mates how many times you took one for the team and never a holdout never a peep about $$$ or contract negotiations ..when ever I watch you play I felt like a proud poppa ..Welcome aboard looking forward to all your insight about yours our beloved Jets .. RAVENS are going down GO JETS JETS JETS

46. By Mike Burke on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,
    Congratulations on the blog, although im not a big football fan, im proud to be your friend.

47. By Mike on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

#80 will forever be in our hearts and mind…..

48. By Gary on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,

I can say just seeing you writing about the Jets put me in a great mood great to be able to listen to your insight about them. First off want to say that I’m a HUGE fan of yours I’m currently 21 years old and still wear my Chrebet jersey to every game that I got when I was 6 six years (have pictures wearing it where the sleaves are longer then my arms). I also still own two boxes of Chrebet Crunch one opened one not just because I thought it was the coolest thing ever when it came out.

But aside from all that really liked the article its always good to hear ex-players thoughts about teams thats aren’t involved in mainstream media to get a different look and I really liked your comparison. Hopefully this team will do better then that 98 team (very similar game as last years championship with extreme highs 98 team blocking broncos punt to start and last year with the bomb and starting game up but losing both) and finally win it all.

LETS GO JETS

49. By Mike(#59) always on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

#80 will always be in our hearts….we just had twins and Lani and Michael are already wearing the BIG 80!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Wayne….

50. By Carmella on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Great blog! Chloe and I both enjoyed reading. Looking forward to next weeks. Love ya!

51. By Steve on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Great article, Wayne!

The only jersey I own to this day is Chrebet #80. It’s got some pink discolorations on it from dried blood. When the Jets went up 10-0 in that AFC Championship against dinner, I ran upstairs to give my wife an update (who was feeding our newborn), and ran back down stairs. Well, I decided to jump the last 3 steps, hit my head on some duct work, and bled like a stuck pig. Ah, memories…

Last year, the morning of the AFC Championship, me and the family were wearing our Jets green to church (we are known as the Jets family at church) and an old-timer came up to me and said “I’ve been meaning to ask you for years, why Chrebet?” I told him Chrebet is and always will be my #1 Jet. The perpetual underdog that showed the most heart and left it all on the field, game in and game out. There will never be another Wayne Chrebet.

52. By Gregg from CA on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Don’t know how to say it any better than the dozens of posters before me have already done – so I’ll simply say “Thanks”, and enjoy your current contributions as I’ve enjoyed all of the past ones.

Glad to see you participating with the team again!

53. By ddh on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

well everything I was going to say has been said, many times over !m looking foreward to your input, great to have you back on the team. advise? get spell check on your tool bar. (hey, no one needs to know) BEST OF LUCK TO YOU !!!!

54. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Hey Wayne, I see folks are writing directly to you though you’re not answering yet. Just in case you’re reading all of these great comments, I’ll add that aside from your incredible smarts and skills on the field, you’d make an all-time, all-class NFL team with ease. I look forward to all these columns of yours throughout the year and hopefully after!

55. By Chris Stalzer on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, this was a great read! I’d like to agree with everyone on you being my favorite jet of all time. I remember meeting you when I was around 8 or 9 years old @ the Seaford Broncos football dinner. Man, the stories you told us, I remember my parents tried getting my attention, and I wouldnt leave my spot! Still got your autographs in the booklet, as well as 2 of those Frosted Cheerio boxes!
    Looking forward to next weeks article. GO JETS

56. By Nora on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Brought back many memories. Great job on the blog. Looking forward to reading them throughout the season. #80 will always be a favorite.
    Let’s Go Jets!

57. By kent vesce on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

wayne c u are the reason why i love this team so much!!!!!! i would have loved 2 see you play 4 rex & what you would hv done in the slot with a qb that has a arm !!!!! please keep up the good job looking foward 2 seeing ur blog each weak go jets!!!!!!!!

58. By KENT V on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

ALSO CAN YOU TELL EVERYONE HOW MUCH BETTER YOU WERE THEN KESHAWN LOL JUST KIDDING ALSO WAS VERY GOOD BUT NOT FALLING 4 HIS HYPE !!! WHERE DO U THINK U WOULD STACK UP ON THIS TEAM???

59. By GaryC on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

chrebet is the anti keyshawn johnson, that says it all.

60. By Anthony on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, Awesome writing. You did great. Keep it up. I like your take on the game and your stories. very interesting. You are my favorite Jet to ever play. And always will be. You are the best Jet player to ever play for the Jets.I watch games the same way all alone, so I can see it all, and not miss anything.

61. By joeyjets12fla on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Hey Wayne looking forward to reading your blog every week. My favorite JET. I still wear your jersey and man it gets a reaction down here in S. Fla. By the way Happy Belated Birthday. Same day as me Aug 14, except i have a few years on you. The best to you and your family.

62. By Jimmy L. on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

As I read all these posts from Jet fans all around the country, I felt compelled to write one myself. I’ve had the privilege of watching you light up the field, playing with all your heart and soul and now I have the privilege of working beside you. I just want all Jet fans to know that the dedication and passion Wayne brought onto that field was not a sometimes thing or even a game time thing. It’s an all the time thing that he continues to bring each and every day off the field. Proud to be a fan and proud to call you friend!

63. By Mentessi on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

wow good to hear from such an inspiring dedicated true hero of the game—maybe u can teach some of these undeserving players of today what its like to really really put on that jersey and play with every bit of passion and love for this franchise and all those that played before you–thanks for all the memories–none of them come close to having the heart and fearlessness u showed going over the middle driving for that extra inch or yard a true competitor-thanks again nice blog

64. By Bobette in IL on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Well said, Wayne. You will always be my favorite Jet. I admire everything you’ve done in your career. You’ve been a great role model. I have your action figure in my 2nd grade classroom. (I’m the teacher, not a student.) I look forward to reading your future blogs. Go Jets!!

65. By Cindy S on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Great start to the weekly blog! Looking forward to hearing from my all-time favorite Jet. I cherish my “80″ Jets jersey that you signed at a Women’s 101/201 Hofstra camp! Go Jets and Go Chrebet….Now and Always!

66. By RichW on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, now that you saw Hard Knocks, can you compare/contrast the way Parcells ran camp and practice versus the way Rex does? I see a bit of the ol’ Tuna in Rex. The wit, the humor, the toughness, the demanding nature. Thanks man! You were an inspiration on the field.

67. By Mare on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne-great blog & I’m really looking forward to reading them each week. I’ve ALWAYS been a JETS fan since I was a kid going to the games with my Dad in the 60′s. Joe Namath was always my favorite player till I saw the fight, intensity & passion YOU brought to the field in each game. I’m so glad to see you’re still with the team & I think you would be a GREAT receivers coach….. Really looking forward to this exciting season!!! J-E-T-S Jets,Jets,Jets!!!!

68. By Johhnny JET on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne = YOU DA MAN !
    Still wear your jersey to everygame Bro. !
    GOOD HEALTH

69. By Mark on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

I have only one Jets jersey #80 Wayne Chrebet. It’s in my closet but it comes out next Monday night.

70. By Maureen R. on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Well said Wayne!! You are and always will be my #1 Jets player!! Living in FL I get a lot of heat for having your number as part of my personalized license plate…. funny but they all know who NY Jet #80 is no matter what the comment!! You are an example (and there aren’t many like you) of a true franchise player… these guys seem to play for the money and not for “their team” these days…. Been a fan of the JETS since ’88 when I went to my first pro game… Jets vs Giants and the Jets won…. knocking the Giants out of any playoff hopes!! Looking forward to reading your blogs every week! Thanks for all the memories…..
    P.S. Thanks for signing the JETS hardhat for my brother-in-law at Graingers a couple months back…. What a great birthday gift that was!!

71. By Scotty D on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Great read. Great piece. Always glad to see you on TV as well. Dude, you were the reason I watched every single minute of every game that 1-15 year. Can’t wait till they finally retire your jersey. You are a true class act. As a fan, let me say Thank You!

72. By paul on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne…a very good read and I look to see what you have to say each week going ahead…if you want company I’ll watch the games with you….I watch each game a couple of times to see who makes good plays and what I missed watching real time…don’t worry about the spelling or big words…Real JET fans don’t care about that stuff…Thanks for being a great JET and an even better Jersey Boy done good..

Paul (Howell)

73. By Scooby Doo on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Great job Wayne. You are one of the best Jets of all time. You would have fit right in with Rex’s Jets and been one of the Offense leaders they need.

74. By JetsFanDi on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Great blog Wayne! I’ve been a fan for 45 years and loved watching you play and know I’ll love reading your blog. Jets all the way!!

75. By AceDeuel on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,
    I’m an old time displaced Jets Fan. Been around for a few years and now live in Wyoming. I was alive and in NY when Willie Joe won the big one so you get the idea. I agree with you about the ‘swagger’ this team has. The one element they miss, in my humble opinion, is a Wayne Chrebet. I was always amazed at what you did over the middle and on the wings. If this team had or develops a WR like you were, there would be no stopping them. I think they stand a good chance of making it to the big dance this year, but it would be a guarantee, much like Joe made, if they had Wayne Chrebet playing for them.
    I look forward to your blogs this year, and always be yourself and honest with what you see and feel, much as you were on the field. #80 is in my closet along with #24 and it just depends on who they play as to who I wear.
    Stay Hard..Stay Strong and say it like it is.

76. By JOE C. on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, great to have you on the website! I loved watching you play, making those impossible catches and always giving it all you had. I’ve been a Jets fan since the beginning, and I’ve seen them all. Some great, some not so great but still New York Jets so still all beloved. After Joe Willie, you are my alltime favorite. God bless you and your family, #80, and thanks for all the memories!

77. By Pierre D. on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

“Wayne”, “number 80″, “Chrebet”, however I cheered you on then, you were and still are my favorite Jets of all time. I do like Laveranues Cole too for many of the same reasons, but there can be only a number one in my heart and you are it. You had the talent, the courage and an uncommon level of class. If only I could have a vote on the RIng of Honor ! I was sorry to see you retire, but relieved that you were smart enough to think about the rest of your life and your family. And finally, don’t you worry about your writing, it’s just great, it feels real and I will look forward to your blogs every week.
    P.S. Forte is a great word!

78. By Tom H on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Hey Wayne,

Really nice article!

I had the privilege to grow up watching you play football and I am very thankful for the lessons you have taught me over the years. Your selfless, intense, hardworking attitude was always visible to me. It’s that attitude that I try to apply not only on the sports field but to life.

Thanks again, and I’m looking forward to reading your future articles!

79. By Fish Hunters on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

See what happens when a guy works hard and leaves it all out on the field everytime?! He/she endears himself to the fans eternally!

80. By Mike G in CT on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Wayne – I have been a Jets fan since 1964 and you are
    certainly one of my favorite Jets
    It’s great that you are doing a weekly blog on
    the Jets and I look forward to reading your comments
    every week
    I think the Jets have the talent to go all the way
    but I know it won’t be easy
    I agree you should be in the ring of honor and I
    believe you will be there soon.
    LETS GO JETS!!!!

81. By Richard G on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,
    You are tenacity and integrity personified. I have your jersey and where it now in Singapore, as do my two boys. My family has been going to Jet games since the early Shea Stadium days, and continues to this day. We have a team and coaching staff that believes they can win. We will be superbowl bound if they approach every game with the professionalism and perseverence that you did. Looking forward to your blogs.
    #80 forever,
    Richard

82. By Joe on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

You’re the best Wayne! I miss watching you play. I hope all is well with you and yours.

83. By Brent on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Just imagine if Wayne was on the team now, how powerfull our offense would be in the passing gae having a type WR like him. WOW WOULD BE AMAZING!!!!

84. By Steve Kusch on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Hey Wayne,

what do you think of Woodhead? Is he a new incarnation of what you were. He really has a great heart and gets everything out of what he was given by God. I have hopes he has a chance to add a quick hit out of the backfield for us this year. Have you talked with him yet? Hope all is well and I look forward to reading your takes every week. Tell your wife your column is great and brings up great points and memories.

85. By LynnG on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Great Blog! I

If the team plays with half the heart you played with. We are in for a great season. I will wear #80 with your name on it forever. I wish they would retire your number.You are truly one of the good guys. As a seson ticket holder I’m so looking forward to cheering for the Green & White. Go JETS

86. By Dawn Ramos on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Nice Blog. #80 Also will always be my favorite Jersey. I am becoming a fan of Woodhead because he reminds me of the heart you showed when you played.

87. By DENISE M on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

HI WAYNE,

YOU WERE ONE OF MY FAVORITE PLAYERS FOR THE JETS. MY DAD AND I TALKED A LOT TO YOUR DAD DURING THE GAMES ESPECIALLY THE JET AND DOLPHIN GAMES IN MIAMI. MY DAD HAS ONE OF YOUR JERSEYS THAT HE BOUGHT FROM YOUR DAD AND ALSO YOUR ROOKIE CARDS. YOU WILL ALWAYS BE OUR #1 PLAYER. #80 WILL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED. GOOD LUCK TO YOU WAYNE.

88. By Theresa on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Wayne Chrebet – I will be wearing your jersey on opening day as always. I first started watching football when you started playing. My brother-in-law wa a die hard Jets fan and he was taking a lot of abuse for it. I started watching with him, learning the game, watching for the plays. You were my first favorite player and still my favorite former player. Thanks for all of those great plays and for making me a football and Jets fan! Love the blog – can’t wait for the next installment after the Jets beat the Ravens!

89. By Peter M on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,

Most important question – When do they release “The Wayne Chrebet Story?”
    I will make sure that I am first on line for that opening day.

90. By Sue Fern Bourdin on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Wayne!
    First off I have to say YOU are the reason I became such a HUGE Jets fan! I love your spirit, your drive and your integrity…being as cute as you are didn’t hurt, either! :) I even collect your memorabilia. I have worn your Jersey to every game (I have season tix and missed only 2 games till I had my daughter) I even bought a small jersey for my daughter off of ebay! I attended the best game, in my opinion, the Jets ever played…the Monday Night Miracle game. What a feeling that had to be as a player, to be part of that game. It was a great night to be a JETS fan! WHOA! I was at the 2000 Tampa game where “meshawn” called you a flashlight…imagine the beating I took going into RJS! But you showed him who was the star! I’ll never forget that game…he caught 1 pass for 1 yard…and you caught the game winning TD from Curtis Martin! You’re the man, Wayne…and you have no idea how happy I am that you are back as part of the team…even if it’s off the field. You are my all time favorite player…as a matter of fact when you retired there were questions as to whether or not I was actually a Jets fan or a Wayne fan! Well I’ll be there Monday night…so I’m still a Jets fan…but will forever be a Wayne fan!

91. By ALEX on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

WAYNE YOUR THE RUDY OF THE NFL…..

92. By Chris York on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

To Wayne who was as hard as nails,you should be and will be in the “Ring of Honor” soon.

93. By Lou G on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Hey Wayne
    Wow Luke sure grew up fast. Seems like yesterday you were telling everyone about his birth. We share 2 things in common.1 Garfield High Alum (class of 78) and 2 Coach K (Kotwica) He coached our undefeated 1974 freshman football team. Sad to hear about what happened to him. I have a question for you. On the jets current coaching staff there is a strength and conditioning coach named Kotwica. Is he related . I hope to see you at the game Monday night. I’ll be on the sideline taking pictures with a camera I won in a contest on the Jets website.

94. By Darrell on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Wayne!! You Rock!!

Nice writing, bud. You’ll do fine.

95. By Tony D on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Wayne I’ve been a Jets fan since the beginning of the Jets..I have many
    favorites (too many to name) who played their hearts out for the team but
    alas, no super bowl ring..I’vealways admired the way you gave 110 % and your name has been added to my list..Thanks for all you have done for the Jets
    and in so doing raised my hope during your playing years.

96. By GioD on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Wayne my men Chrebet!!! Thank you for your blog and good luck with it. In all my years of suffering with the Jets, while playing, you were the focus of excitement went watching the games; my first Jets jersey: #80 which is the only one I have kept since. It is my trophy! you gave it all on the field and it is highly appreciate. Thank you.

97. By Dee on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

First of all, any fan that comes up to you while you are eating dinner with your wife and kids is an idiot!!!! That being said, I have been a fan since I have met my husband in 1998. He bleeds green. I feel an excitement in the air (and from him) that I have never felt before. As with every season, he has hope, but this time, it’s different. There is a bit of confidence behind his, as you put it, swagger! Your awesome. Every football player on that team should have as much heart as you did. Glad to see you are still involved. Look forward to hearing your take on the season. Great post! Thanks!

98. By Mike on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Great job Wayne. Always a big fan, hope all is well with the family and healthwise. GO JETS!!

99. By Mimi on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Reading all these coments made we want to cry..You were the best of the best..I am so glad the Jets organization has you on here.. They need to do alot of good things for the fans , cause as of lately seems like they really do not give a damn about US LOYAL fans…God love you and the memories..I have been a Jet fan since 1964, not sure anyone played with as much heart as you…Keep up the good work, loved your post….

100. By Cherisse on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Hi Wayne,

I’ve always been a BIG fan–you’ve always gave it your all with such heart in all of your plays! I truly miss watching you on the field and always looked forward to it. Number 80 will never be the same! Great writing! I can now look forward to your blogs–thank you! GO JETS!!

101. By Joe on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, you’re the only good thing that Rich Kotite ever did!

Keep your head on!

102. By Garnie on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Wow…Put on my #80 shirt this morning…checking email and here you are with a blog!! Now how cool is this?? As a 56-yr-Jets fan, I gotta say you’ve nailed your “forte” :)…excellent blog! Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts !!
    GO JETS!!!

103. By MattyG on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, You were the original RUDY… Guys like WES WELKER are compared to you . And I know Keyshawn wishes he never picked up a crayon to write.. I do love him but You will go down as the BEST J E T IN MY BOOK!!!!

104. By Kaiser on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,

I saw every home game in your career from Section 140, including your last catch coming down to me. You were the consumate professional, and I am glad you are back and giving us your inside knowledge. Looking forward to a great season. GO JETS!!!

105. By Kevin J. Degnan on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Chrebet,

Thank you for your passionate insights.

You are my favorite Jets player of all times. My oldest son Ryan, the same. It is wonderful to hear from you. Keep the blog going.

Thank you for your great play for 11 years. You always left it on the field!

v/r

Kevin

106. By Chas on Sep 11, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,
    Great blog! I see the similiarities between the 98 team and this team.
    These guys are more brash than your 98 team. I don’t mind Rex making comments.
    He’s only saying what his goals are. What I do worry about is new guys like Cromartie saying we’re the Miami Heat! And LT saying he knows he’ll win a championship with the Jets. Most of the team doesn’t say stuff like that.

107. By JOEYBJETSFAN on Sep 11, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,
    Don’t know if you will actually read this but I always wanted to tell you this story. It was the first Sat. of training camp your rookie season. I used to make the ride every year from Wayne, N.J. to Hofstra to watch practice. It was my official kick-off of the season. This was before there were aluminum bleachers & Jets Fest. just two sets of 8’0 long wooden bleachers that you would see at your local rec. field. I watched you during the morning practice and was so impressed how you played, every chance you got you ran routes like you were playing on Sunday. I think Otis Smith was trying to cover you.
    I came back to work (Union Sheet Metal Worker) and told everyone about you, of coarse mispronouning your name. You came over during your break and I was sitting with my 4 year old son with his green number 7 Boomer jersey on, next to your Father and your girlfriend/wife?
    You were so humble and seemed to be such a nice person. It worked out pretty well. You played with your heart you reprented Jersey,hard working blue collar guys like myself and yourself very well and I thank you.
    JoeB Jetfan since “1967″

108. By Tim Kelly on Sep 11, 2010 | Reply

Enjoyed reading your blog.

I am a Jets fan who lives in the midwest state of Iowa. Loved the Bill Parcels era and haven’t been able to get too excited about the team since he left. I really lost interest after your retirement but I understand. Your health and family is the most important thing. My fire has been rekindled with the arrival of Rex Ryan. There are only 2 jerseys in our house one is #28, Curtis Martin and the other is #80. I am hoping the 2010 team will give us a reason to shop for a new jersey.

109. By Joe S. on Sep 11, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,

Great 1st Blog #80 keep that style going. Compare your Jet experiences with this Jets 2010 team.

Thanks for the memories Wayne there were fantastic.

Joe S.

110. By Mark on Sep 11, 2010 | Reply

Without a doubt one of the All-Time Jets, and happy to see you back with this blog. Will return every Thursday just because. GO JETS!!!!

111. By Al on Sep 11, 2010 | Reply

Wayne; Glad to see you’re becoming more visible with the Jets. Saw you at Hofstra and was hoping you would sign autographs for the crowd. Clearly you’re one of my all-time favorites and I hope you’re in the 2nd “Ring of Honor” class. You deserve it as one of the all-time great Jets. I look forward to reading your insights every week. Hope to see you at the New Stadium.

112. By charliejet on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Hey Wayne for a Christmas present my 1st wife bought me a Jets Jersey – a Kewshawn Johnson you could imagine how I felt about that. But her heart was in the right place – what could I say. Needles to say she got it(the Jersey) back at the divorce!

Miss your play buddy – you had that quiet under that radar work ethic. Nice job on your opening blog. Ring of honor will follow soon enough.

J.E.T.S. JETS! JETS!! JETS!!!

113. By charliejet on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Hey Wayne ya know what – I remember that opening game day. Seattle had a revamped offensive. They spent a ton of money (for those days) on the line. It was like watch out hear comes Seattle. Then you guys just blew ‘em out of the water. Seattle never recovered from that 1st game and the season was already lost for them. Hard to believe Joey Galloway is still around.

Any way …………. GO JETS !!!!!!!

114. By Bleeds green and white on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Great to see you on here, Wayne. You did well with your blog post – keep ‘em coming.

I’ve been a Jets fan since the early 70′s, and you’re definitely one of my favorite Jets of all time. I don’t know anyone that’s ever played with more heart than you did. You could always be counted on to come through in clutch. When we needed a first down I was always screaming “Throw it to Chrebet!!” at my TV. And they would. And you’d invariably make an amazing catch. The Miracle at the Meadowlands is my favorite game Jets game ever (maybe because I’m too young to remember Super Bowl III, but so be it). You and Vinny were an unbeatable pair.

Actually, one thing I kept thinking when reading your article is that this team, going into opening day, feels more like the 1999 season than 1998 to me. We had come off a year where we were in the AFC Championship game, just like this year, and everyone thought we were naturals to win it after going 12-4 the previous year. Instead we lost Vinny to injury early on (Game 1, wasn’t it?). I watched the rest of the season, and remember that after the QB switch we went 6-2 (to finish 8-8) and that during the last half of the season our defense played so well that normally high-powered offenses that everyone usually feared looked like a Pop Warner team. Everyone was literally afraid to play us. I’ve not seen any defense that good or dominating since, except maybe the 2002 Bucs. I’m convinced to this day that we would have won it all that year if Vinny had stayed healthy. But you’re definitely right about one thing. I’m as confident in this team this year as I was then. There isn’t a team out there that we can’t beat. GO JETS!!

115. By Colleen_Island on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,
    Great first blog =) Needless to say, you have and will always be my favorite football player of all time. If you need company watching football games in your basement, I’ll bring the beer and wings =)

116. By Charlie on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

To prevent the type of incident that happened The Jets should band all women from the locker room. Especially ones that dresses in such a way to provoke the type of action that this reporter did. A team or players should not have to change. Where does it stop that everyone else has to change, just to accommodate one person to sets up the out come and then cries wolf.