Three Familiar Faces Back at Their Lockers

Posted by Randy Lange on September 15, 2010 – 7:32 pm

It was old home week in the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center locker room this afternoon.

David Clowney was back after a week and a half away, Howard Green after an offseason away.

Calvin Pace, well, he never really left but he hadn’t been schmoozing s-p-o-r-t-s with reporters like he used to since breaking a bone in his foot against the Redskins in the preseason.

“It was great getting off of those crutches,” Pace told me, his leg looking only a little the worse for wear with some bandages. He’s listed out again for the Patriots but he looks like he’s walking OK.

Clowney’s looking much the same as he did before he was released, ready to come out flying when called on.

“I’m happy to be here, happy to be back and help my team win,” said the Clown.

Green had the furthest trip to find his way back to Florham Park. “Big Hah’rd,” as Rex Ryan calls him, became a free agent after last season, signed with the Redskins (and made three tackles against the Jets at NMS in the third preseason game), was cut, went back home to Louisiana, then got the call not long after Kris Jenkins went down Monday night.

“You never know what’s going to happen around this league,” said Green, who got his old No. 95 back in the bargain. “Anything may happen, but when one door closes, another opens and you walk right into it. Me having been here before makes it easier.”

That’s one thing to keep in mind about roster moves at this time of year, at any time on the football calendar. One may disapprove of a particular move or exchange of moves, such as waiving Danny Woodhead and bringing back Clowney. But there are always reasons, some stated, some unstated, for why teams do what they do. And today’s players, as human as they are, have learned to roll with the punches and to know that as quickly as they depart, they could return.

“Mike T let me know it was not goodbye but more see you later,” Clowney said. “I was surprised I didn’t get claimed but I was cut after the final cuts to 53. I had a couple of workouts, but I just kept praying about it and I’m back here a week later.”

And all three of the aforementioned players found themselves watching the Jets-Ravens Monday-nighter, even though two of the three at that time were not Jets.

“I was watching the game, yelling like I was still on the team, still on the sideline,” Clowney said.

“I watched every minute of the game from home,” Green said. “When Kris went down, I felt bad for him. I really didn’t think about myself when that happened. I was thinking about him more than anything. He’s a good guy, a great guy.”

As for Calvin, he cheered, too, although his situation was and is a bit different.

“I’m not a fan of sitting in a box and watching,” he said, adding about his defensive mates, “The guys played great. They had some things that can be worked on but I think they had a great game on defense. I would’ve loved to be out there for it. It’s kind of a helpless feeling, sitting up and watching the guys go to war and you can’t do too much except cheer.”

Helplessness hits a lot of guys this time of year, for different reasons. But the great thing about these three is that they all want to be here, wanted to be contributing before they left the action. And now that two of the three are back on the roster and Pace is close to returning, they all want to have a hand in helping the Jets get back on the winning road toward their ultimate goal.

“I felt good today. I played some offense and did some scout team work,” said Clowney, who added that Larry Taylor at 5’6″ and not Clowney at 6’0″ impersonated elusive WR 5’9″ Wes Welker for the defense.

“I’m going to continue to be myself, continue to go at 100 miles an hour, continue to root on my teammates if for whatever reason I’m not in the game,” he said. “I would love to be here for the remainder of my career. I would love to play for the New York Jets for the next 10 years. I’ve been a Jet since Week 5 of my rookie year. I just want to keep it consistent. I’ve made plays in the preseason and I’ve made plays in the regular season. I want to continue to play and I want to continue to do it here in New York if possible.”

For now for Clowney and Green, and soon enough for Pace, it’s possible. And all contributions to victory are welcome.

Rex Cetera

Rex Ryan and Bill Belichick exchanged compliments today. Rex at his afternoon news conference said, “I know I respect him and I think he respects me. At least he respects the kind of commitment I have to football, the way we play, period. … But you know the kind of respect I have for Belichick doesn’t mean I’m not going to go out and try to beat him. That’s my job, and I’m going to try like crazy to beat him.”

Belichick, on his conference call with Jets reporters, confirmed: “I have a lot of respect for Rex. I always have. My relationship with that family goes back quite a ways with Buddy [Ryan] in Philadelphia and Arizona, when we were both coordinators or head coaches in the league. His brother Rob coached here for four years. Rex has done a terrific job. I think our styles are a little different, but I don’t think that really matters. I have a lot of respect for what he does and the way that his teams play. They’re a tough opponent.”

Shonn Greene wasn’t backing away from ownership of his lost fumble at the Ravens 24 late in the first half. “That was a key moment in the game, that fumble, and then it turned into a touchdown for Baltimore. I put that pretty much on my shoulders.” Does Greene think the Patriots defenders will be trying to pry the ball from the second-year back’s grip Sunday? “They’ll be prepared for it,” he said, “and I’ll be prepared as well.”

Jenkins was officially placed on injured reserve to make room for Green. … Only Pace and S Brodney Pool (ankle, limited) are on the Jets’ injury list. The Patriots listed five players. T Nick Kaczur (back) and CB Terrence Wheatley (foot) didn’t practice, RB Fred Taylor (toe) and WR Julian Edelman (foot) were limited in team drills, and QB Tom Brady (right shoulder) was listed as a full participant.

Tags: , , , , ,

26 Responses to “Three Familiar Faces Back at Their Lockers”

1. By scjoe on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

If used right Clowney can pay dividends right away. If nothing else he can help open up the field with a few long routes, and who knows, maybe Sanchez may even throw one deep to him where there is always the chance of that pass interference call, you know, like all those we gave up Monday night over and over again. I think Green was a good signing, I believe the roster should stay put at least until the Pats game.

2. By davetharave on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Gotta let Mark play .. a QB’s gotta have the confidence of his coaches to go out and make plays. We can’t play scared.

3. By dougmc on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

0-2 cannot happen.Home game divisional lose cannot happen. Score touchdowns and slam Tom Brady into the ground a few times and win this game one way or another. So the undefeated season is over, so what. We need to get this ship sailing straight and dominate all opponents whether Rex says we will win superbowl or not. Defense and specials were awesome in week one. Keep the faith and march on to playoffs and beyond, whether Rex says so or not…Let’s Go “O”… J-E-T-S…JetsJetsJets…

4. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

If they had to bring someone back at WR, better it’s Clowney or Allison than Coles, as the first two may have some kind of future with the team. Of course, none of that will matter if you don’t let the QB throw the ball.

5. By Smoke on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Howard Green made a difference for us last year under similar circumstances. With Big Jenks out for the year, everybody is going t have to step their game up again. Glad to see a familiar face that produced for us, instead of a virtual unknown bandaid. Good job Mr. T, we’ll see if history repeats itself.

6. By S. Rice on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Fumbles, penalties, and a prevent offense will not win games. Defense is awsome. I think you know what we gotta do to win.

7. By IRA on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Green was a solid signing. Wished for KJ this hadn’t happened. Green gave them good depth last year and will do the same again. Sure Green will play behind Pouha and Kroul will not get much time. If anybody noticed Ellis played some NT last week like he did last year too.
    Clowney even if he doesn’t catch a pass or they don’t even throw to him will at least make the Pats cover him down field which in should open the middle of the field for Keller and J-Co. Thats something the Ravens completely took away was the middle of the field and that was a big problem which nobody has given the Ravens credit for.
    We will see a different offense this week.
    GO JETS!!!!

8. By GaryC on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Edwards needs to shave the beard, Sanchez can’t locate him anymore, give it to schotty who might need to travel incognito if the offense puts up another performance like last week.Have we had any sightings of Jim Fassel yet. a guy who can develope a quarterback. we already missed out on Martz.

9. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Glad green is back Clowney move is ridiculous he’s been here 3 seasons without B-Edwards and S-H at one point or another and wasn’t given a chance to contribute whats changed oh right a roster spot or in the Jets case another sideline ornament.. I believe Clowney will be gone when S-H gets back so let me offer another useless Idea ( that is if it gets posted ) lets use any open spots for a player that may actually help the team WE DON”T NEED RECIEVERS WE NEED QB”AND DE and is why in my opinion the left hand doesn’t know what the right is doing and may be one of many reasons we’re the lowest scoring team in the last 2 seasons .. This team can’t afford one wasted move after another yet it continues ..I’ve been supporting Schotty these last 2 seasons time has come if Sanchez has another game like his last Schotty becomes the problem not for play calls for not pulling him if he won’t time for someone who will no guts no glory period .. Excuses are over hes not a rookie anymore some may disagree but in football facts and performance should outweigh excuses …eventually

10. By Alex D on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Coaches need to let mark loose. He has a cannon of an arm and can make those throws if coaches had confidence in him and show it. What happend to play action pass. In ravens game you had a few passes apportunities and coaches made mark throw to the closest guy but if you check the field other players were open like cotchery and edwards. Edwards new gun in the WR department his name wasnt called ones in ravens game I dnt know what happend and chromarte has to calm down and not commit those stupid penalties.
    Diffence keep up the great work. I love seeing those crazy blitzes GOOD GOING COACH RYAN.
    Jets over Patriots.

11. By Frank on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Ho Hum…as will every single game this year it will all boil down to Sanchize(not) and Folk. Clearly this team was not prepared mentally to play last weeks game and you can thank Rex for that so this week they better be prepared because 0-2 is very real.

So far 0-3 at the swamp so much for home field.

2-4 in the division last year that has to change.

12. By Coops on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Randy,

Interesting transaction I noted at NFL.com:

9/15 Kevin O’Connell (QB) Taken off IR (torn right labrum).

– Can you tell us what this means? I thought KO was just placed on IR last week, so why would he be taken off this week? Has he been given an injury settlement and released again?

13. By Randy Lange on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Coops, we’ve received no information regarding Kevin O’Connell from media relations or the front office. We’ll let you know as soon as we get anything.

14. By Coops on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Thanks, Randy. It just looked a little odd on the NFL transactions page. Any info much appreciated!

15. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Frank, I admire your clear-eyed remark. Points on the board is all that matters and the Rex/Schotty/Sanchez team gets an F for that so far going back to last year. I also agree that Rex bit off way more than he could chew with all his talk and with “Hard Knocks.” A little charisma is one thing, acting like a fool is another. Watch how often Shanahan wastes any time or energy on the kind of puffed-up nonsense that Rex seems to value as much as anything else. This team looked bad in pre-season and looks worse now, totally unprepared, nothing like the team that almost won the AFC championship. That’s no accident.

16. By RyGuy on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

I wish the Jets would resign Laverneus, we could use a veteran wide receiver that also is a leader and can actually catch balls that are thrown at him, the Jets need to be smarter, and have to open up the passing game and allow sanchez to get better, offensive line needs to do better too especially, open up those holes!

17. By GaryC on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Jet Fan tom, you read my mind, you think a coach like shanahan puts up with nonsense.he will jump for joy when Haynesworth is traded.he doesn’t need those characters,for some reason I think Rex needs to thrive with these types.the lombardis and parcells of the world never bragged about players, they knew then what Rex doesn’t know now that once you pass on all those accolades you are now dealing from weakness, and the players know that..

18. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Well, GaryC, now you’re reading my mind talking about Lombardi, that’s what I meant about where I come from men don’t talk they act, what I mean about the Tao Te Ching says, “The Master doesn’t talk, he acts.” I would never tell a player he’s the best at his position until he’s at the P. Manning level, there are many other ways to get results out of players. And right now for all Rex’s talk, most of our guys are playing under their potential, or at least I hope they are. Meanwhile, Shanahan beats the Cowboys first time out with a team that doesn’t have half the talent on paper that we have (except for McNabb).

19. By Sam on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

How come there is no article about what the Jets are doing to correct the pitiful play of Cromartie and Wilson? We cannot have all the flags again and we can’t afford for them to blow coverages against the Pat’s rec’s. We all know that Revis will take away Moss but who is getting Welker? that guy kills us and even when he was out last year we could’nt stop Edelman either. Who’s got the rookie rec? If we play the way we played against NE like we did against the Ravens, expect a blowout. Brady is far better than Flacco and we will have to pressure him for all 4 quarters. At first we had good pressure on Flacco but their were times it seemed like he had plenty of time, again, if we do that with Brady expect a blowout.

20. By sloppyD on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Danny Woodhead should be on this roster – plain and simple.

21. By jzito on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

We lost 10 to 9, big deal, we should have won the game, all we have to do is score, and we can beat anybody…..anybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Throw the damn ball and stops the stupid penalties…Go JETS

22. By jzito on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Who cares about how Cro got beat at times, and how Wilson got beat at times, we only gave up 10 points, i mean really

23. By Joe on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Would prefer if Lavernaeus Coles made the team. He had some productive years and was a dedicated player. I still believe that without Thomas Jones we have less of a running game than we had in 2009. Too conservative a offernsive game plan the Jets strategized against the Ravens. The Jets will need to throw the ball downfield alot more this season in order to score points. They also will need to do alot better in the red zone. I realize the running game is their main focus but championship teams are those that can throw the ball deep downfield and score points quickly.

24. By joe c69 on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Everyone seems like they are panicking over one game and one point. The corrections will be made by the coaches that are necessary. I think you should let Sanchez call his own plays. If i remember correctly, out of the few drives he called plays for in the pre-season finale against the eagles, his play calling resulted in 2 td’s. He has a feel for the game, he is on the field so he can feel whats going to work better. Why do you think Manning does so good, he calls his own plays most of the time. Let the kid grow up and throw the ball, but when he does drop back, the line has to protect him better and make sure he has the time to throw. In the Ravens game he was never comfortable in the pocket because of the pass rush. Protect Sanchez and he will make plays and everything will be fine.

Jets over Pats 31-13

25. By mod on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

just want to say congratulations to david clowney’s re-signing. i think he plays a big role on the offense, as long as sanchez can get him da ball. i can wait to see the plays down field involving clowney. he has great hands, and speed that cant be matched. i’m putting my money where my mouth is… lol… lets go jets.

26. By Liz on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

The Jets have done allot of things that I don’t agree with (Leon Washington) but I don’t think I will forgive getting rid of Danny Woodhead. And how many three year olds does Cromartie have, I lost track when he was counting them.