• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Mon., Sep. 08, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

CHREBET: One Down, 15 To Go

Posted by Wayne Chrebet on September 16, 2010 – 10:10 am

Here is Wayne Chrebet’s second blog of the season for newyorkjets.com:

It was a tough loss Monday night. The whole country was watching and waiting to see the 2010 Jets. And I think everyone was rooting against us except true Jets fans, just Like Rex said. The fact that everyone is talking about the Jets lets us know that we have a good team. True, if you think about it.

I went to the game. For anyone that wasn’t there, I can tell you that the place was rocking. All the anticipation and buildup came through when they announced the starting lineup of the defense. It is pretty uncommon for a defense to be cheered that much more than an offense. Nothing against the offense at all. I was obviously on the offensive unit. We had a whole different system and philosophy back then. Most years we had nowhere near the defense that they have right now.

I’d be lying if I said that I didn’t get goosebumps when Revis stood in the tunnel to be announced last, the smoke and fog machines blowing on him. It sounds cheesy, but the reaction from the crowd let everyone that was in attendance know that we were going to have some fun that night. OK. The fans were great, the players were fired up, the coaches were pacing back and forth just waiting for the whistle to blow. The stage was set.

I’m not going to rehash the whole game but the first defensive play of the game, that sack and fumble, set the tone. The problem was that as good as the defense played, we just couldn’t capitalize. Maybe I should say “they” instead of “we” but I still bleed green so I still consider myself part of the team. Whatever, not the point.

I don’t know what people were expecting. If you know anything about these two teams, you would know that points were going to be hard to come by. You can’t win a game throwing for 74 yards. Part of it was lack of execution, maybe players trying to do too much. That is part of the game. For receivers, I can tell you that it is very hard to keep your head in the game when you don’t have the ball thrown to you through a couple quarters.

All in all, the Ravens defense is Top 5 in the league, maybe Top 3. But I think the players in the Jets huddle would be the first to tell you that their performance was just not good enough. There is no position on our offense that has any weakness but for some reason they just didn’t have any rhythm. Whatever it is, it is. The papers are all over Sanchez. Yes, it was nowhere near his best performance, it’s a fact. But cut the guy some slack. It’s not like he threw 3 picks.

One down, 15 to go. It’s one game. You don’t win or lose the Super Bowl the first game of the year. Special teams were phenomenal (downing 2 punts on the 1-yard line). Offense struggled (1-for-11 on third down). Ravens rushing 49 yards on 35 carries — outstanding. Bad penalties at very bad times.

I wouldn’t be doing this blog justice if I didn’t mention the penalties. We had twice as many penalty yards as passing yards. Cromartie had a couple. Some were justifiable, but as a receiver, I’ve had so much more done to me without getting a flag thrown against the defender. It almost seemed like they were throwing it up there when the receiver was well covered to try and draw a flag. Especially on third down.

He is a very good player, that’s why the Jets brought him in. That interception and return shows what he is capable of. And you can’t do anything about the catches that Heap had. Either way, you can’t have a 5-yard holding penalty on a 3rd-and-28. Rookie mistake. They’re going to happen. I had my share. Chalk it up as a learning experience. Better now than in the playoffs.

That’s it. It’s done. There is no sense even dwelling on it anymore. But I know the fans will. I don’t blame you. You put a lot of stock in the team. But from player to fan, so you know, we use that as motivation. You’ll know who does and who doesn’t by watching the game this Sunday.

Against my better judgment, I watched the Patriots game Sunday afternoon. It was either that or watching Ace of Cakes on the Food Network. Would have watched that, but sad to say I had already seen that episode. So I like watching novelty cakes being made. Does that make me less of a man? Whatever.

So I watched the game. If you saw the boxscore Monday morning you saw the final score, which didn’t look so bad. Quite the contrary, the Pats destroyed the Bengals in every facet of the game. They didn’t show it last year against us, but I think the Bengals have a decent offense. They couldn’t move the ball on Sunday. Even if you’re a football fan, try naming more than two guys on their starting defense. As was the case with the Ravens. But the Patriots are technically sound and it looks like they play the scheme very well. The Bengals figured them out towards the end of the game, but it was too late. Hopefully we can duplicate the success that they had at that point.

In my opinion, for the defense, this will be the toughest test of the year. Scary to think that it looks like Brady is back to the quarterback that made him the best in the league. Moss is Moss. He’s on Revis Island. Welker is the key. I don’t think one guy can stop him. Fact. I haven’t seen anybody do it. They’re going to have to be creative to get pressure on Brady. He doesn’t hold the ball very long. They’re big on 3- and 5-step drops. Their playcalling is very good when it comes to the timing of a deep play-action pass. But their thing is working down the field efficiently and in a very methodical way. It’s impressive to watch.

But our defense showed it’s kind of a bend-but-don’t-break philosophy. Maybe the other team makes some plays, but not the big one. Eventually they’ll make a mistake. A penalty or trying to get greedy and hit the home run.

The long and the short of it is that the only way to stop the Patriots offense is to keep them on the sideline. Last week the Ravens had the ball for 40 minutes to the Jets 20. Tough to win that way.

I have no crystal ball. I really have no clue what is going to happen, what the tempo of the game will be, who’s going to throw the first punch. It’s true. If you knock the you-know-what out of a guy on the first play, he’s like, “Ah, crap (or any other four letter word), this is going to be a long day.” If we come out swinging and the crowd gets into it like they did Monday night, in our house, we’re going to be very tough to beat.

Tags: ,
Posted in Special Contributor | 45 Comments »

45 Responses to “CHREBET: One Down, 15 To Go”

1. By John on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Love your blog!!!
    Bottom line is Rex has to realize that he is the coach of the whole team, not just the defense. Schotty’s play calling was shotty at best. If we are going to stick with 5 yard passes then let’s bring Pennington back because no one is better at 5 yard passes then #10. We bring back Clowney and that is fine but we can’t send him on the same “go” play all the time – the other teams know it.

2. By Steve on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Hmmmmm…Well Sanchez had no picks becuaase he really didn’t throw the ball. You can always keep your INT’s down if you don’t throw. Please, Schottie has got to let him throw a few times, even with INT’s from time to time.
    Yes, ground and pound is the major rule for this team, but you do need to mix it up and quit protecting the QB with a short passing game. GO FOR IT ALREADY!!

3. By Darrell on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, you go ahead and say “we” any time you like, as opposed to “they”.

You’ve earned it.

4. By billy lamachine hayes on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

ACE OF CAKES??????? AMY GET THE REMOTE AWAY FROM HIM!!! did he realize there was a rerun of the movie PAULIE on sunday during the pats game. Id much rather watch a JAY MOHR rerun than any patriots game any day!!! GO JETS

5. By Larry on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Nothing will change until Shotty’s gone. Play calling was horrible last year and this year (so far). He seems to always go to a trick play when we need yards the most. There best best is to roll Sanchez out more often and use Keller and LT to get the passing game going.

6. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Great stuff, Wayne, including mentioning the bad officiating. Thanks also for the insights on playing from a WR’s point of view. And Steve, I agree with you. The fact is that the teams with the offenses that are feared, the teams that are winning — the Saints, Colts, probably this year’s Pats — are not playing any stupid dink-and-dunk “West Coast offense” anymore, they’re throwing the ball downfield with much more authority. As John says, Rex doesn’t seem too tuned in to any of this. Allow me to be the first to say that this “ground and pound” junk has become a joke, it hasn’t put enough points on the board, it takes up too much time and then leaves us at risk because we can’t score in quick strikes, and we don’t even stick with it at the trenches, like at the goal line. We need a solid mixture of running and passing like every other good team in the league or we’re gonna by playing for draft choices by Thanksgiving.

7. By PHILLY_ORAPELLO on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

CHREBET I HOPE U READ THIS… U ARE MY IDOL ALWAYS HAVE BEEN, IVE LOOKED UP TO U SINCE THE SEVENTH GRADE UR SUCH AN ISPIRATION FOR ME.. MY RESPECT FOR U HAS ALWAYS BEEN ALOT AFTER THIS ARTICLE IT IS MORE THAN GREAT. THANK YOU FOR BEING A JET U WERE ALWAYS MY FAVORITE JET!!!!! IF UR ON TWITTER FOLLOW ME @PHILLY_ORAPELLO. U ONCE AUTOGRAPHED A CARD AND MAILED IT TO ME THAT WAS MY EIGHT GRADE YEAR… THAT WAS THE FIRST DAY I EVER TRAINED FOR FOOTBALL FOR WR WHEN I GOT THAT LETTER…. U ARE THE GREATEST!

8. By Anthony on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Definitely agree with Darrell, You earned the right to say “We” as Jet. One of my favorite all time Jets . Great Blog. Keep it going. Maybe you can say something to Sanchez or these Recievers to put some Pep in their step.

9. By best jets on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

come on wayne you can do a lot better than this you more than anyone should use we i as a fan do stop being hesitant and name names and call people out and bring a players insight into the blog i don’t needanother lame reporters take on what everyone all ready knows besides how can you write this if you didn’t see the new england game styop writing as scared as sanchex plays

10. By IRA on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, Good stuff and insight on the game. You are right its going to be very hard to get pressure on Brady. The Jets are going to have to hold the ball like the Ravens did to the Jets.
    Remember the bounce back game your team had after that Bears loss back in 02 when you went up and beat the Pats on Sunday Night? Thats the type of game they need to play this week.

11. By ddh on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

When your right your right and you are right, over zealous refs, a D with too many “deserved” penalties, an O unable to get in lock step and play calling that didnt help to establish any sort of a rhythm, and didnt exploit their Ds’ weakness, their secondary, too much talent to be using a T spoon, time to break out the shovel and use it till it works, YES run the rock but spread that D out, so by 4th qtr their gasping air just to stand up.

12. By scjoe on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Nice stuff Wayne, I agree on most points, but, if you watched that game unfold you would have noticed the Ravens adjustments in the second half, especially on pass protection. Adjustments often times win football games, we had what seemed to be 0 adjustments at the half. The game plan, especially on offense was the same on the last play of the game as it was on the first, you can put some blame on Keller for not getting the extra yard for the first down on that last play, but that was where the pass was thrown, had the pass been thrown “at least” five yards beyond the first down marker the drive would have continued. All of us here are Jet fans, we are a different breed, history has a lot to do with that, we tend to be much more impatient then most other fans, we dwell on the negatives more then we do on the positives most times, but the bottom line is we all want Ws. That offensive performance Monday night gave us no chance to win. Now, big question is, will it be addressed, or is that the offensive game plan we go with throughout the season? It “kind of” worked last year, but remember the term I used early in this post “adjustments” Have other teams made them to prepare for us this season??

13. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Welcome back Wayne I like so many others here am your greatest fan with that said, I have to agree with best Jets comment ..We don’t need another beat writer to blow smoke up our slacks and dresses we need someone to take the underachievers to task not pat them on the back and give them a pass ..I know you wrote with teeth clenched I believe most would want you to write with the same vigor fire and tenacity you displayed on the field or hang the pen up strap them up and get back to the yard and show them how its done

14. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Like your stuff as always, scjoe, but it’s not dwelling on the negative to complain about last year’s and this year’s O, the negative is staring us in the face. And it’s Rex who’s impatient for a Super Bowl win, not me. I’ll be happy with a team that’s competitive in the post-season on the way to the Super Bowl for the next few years, one that plays all three phases of the game.

15. By Richard Balzer on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Jets can talk the talk but cant walk the walk.
    Cromarti, useless
    Jenkins Trade Him
    Make Brunel #1 QB and use Sanchez as back up

Do this and maybe the will win a few games

16. By coat on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Wayne –that pats O-line seems to give Brady alot of time sometimes it seemed like he held the ball for ten seconds as a jets fan it’s very frustrating watching that guy (Brady) play he seems to always have an open reciever and makes it look really easy it gives me fits I can only imagine what it does to a defense–I love football and very rarely dislike a player because you never know when they might be wearing a jets uniform ie Jason Taylor (who by the way had a great game for us) but Tom Brady is very…. well I don’t think I like that guy very much but he is really good at what he does—–hopefully he’ll have to complete passes looking through his earhole—–let’s take care of business

17. By Dean on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,
    Please get together with Danny Woodhead and give him some pointers and advice on the things that you did that made you so GREAT. The bottom line is that even with the defensive penalties we still held them to 10 points….FIELD GOALS DON’T WIN GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We put up with this crap play calling all last year and it looks the same this year, and yes adjustments, or should I say lack of adjustments at half time are a perfect example of what a horrible offensive coordinator shotty is….He has to go…

18. By PHILLY_ORAPELLO on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

RICHARD BALZER…. WOW…. U WOULD MAKE AN EXCELLENT GM MAYBE EVEN A HEAD COACH… I MEAN WOW U WOULD B THE FIRST H/C -G/M TO WEAR A BLIND FOLD THE WHOLE GAME.. I CAN NOT EVEN BELIEVE WHAT U WROTE AND NONE THE LESS ON THIS POST… WHY THE NYJETS HAVE FANS LIKE U IS THE SAME REASON WHY UR LOOKED AT AS THE SAME OLD FAN… PRETTY PATHETIC TO MAKE A COMMENT AND NOT EVEN KNOW A THING OR TWO ABOUT THE GAME, JENKINS INJURY WAS A FREAK ACCIDENT INSTEAD OF SAYING TRADE HIM WISH HIM WELL, CROMARTIE IS UNREAL THE ATHLETIC ABILITY IS SURREAL HOW U CANT SEE THAT I MEAN WOW… NEWS FLASH BRUNELL IS A MENTOR HATE TO BREAK IT TO U. IM NOT ONE TO GO BACK AND FORTH BUT I JUST CANT BELIEVE THIS POST.

19. By GioD on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Yes Sir! keep on saying “we”, you earned it. I am not a football expert, but in my opinion, you can not win games in this league if you play only not to loose the game. That’s the same style of play that I can remember from the days of Herm and Mangini and look where they are. If they don’t trust Sanchez to trow the ball, then he should be in the bench until he’s ready. How he’s going to learn if he’s only handling the ball to the running back? How are the JETS planning to win with an offense that it is so predictable. It is like playing with our receivers on the sideline. Good luck this Sunday!

20. By Fish Hunters on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Lets put Revis on Welker and Cro on Moss with safety help. Welker is the killer. He moves the ball and gets the bulk of the throws. Moss is just a homerun hitter. With double coverage you can control Moss. Lets keep the ball out of Welkers hand and force them to run the ball.

So Wayne, have ya thought about going into coaching?

21. By Dave Reiner on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

We really missed Mr. 3rd down this past weekend. Maybe u can come out of retirement for our Super Bowl run? Please??? Welker is definately the key to this game. I was thinkin’ maybe put Revis on him and double cover Moss, or put Revis on Moss and double cover Welker. I think we need to hold Welker on the line of scrimmage to allow the blitz to get there and throw off the timing. Welker is almost always there when Brady needs him. That has to be taken away!

22. By scjoe on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

64tom, as always, point well taken, but, I have to admit, being competitive and getting to the post season is fine, that is what we all expect, but for me, after 50 years of following this team I want more!! Call it selfish, Rex is not the only one who is impatient for that world championship, I am much, much, much, more impatient then he can ever be. We came close in 98, we came close last season, problem is this ain’t horseshoes! Close is nice, it is good, a lot of teams don’t even get close, but the bottom line is, all but 2 teams go home and watch that championship game on TV. Before my time is up, I want to be there in the flesh and see this team bring home that trophy. Then my friend, I can go in peace! (;-)

23. By George on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

We can blame the refs, sanchez, wide receivers, schotty, or even rex. The problem I saw was the offense played tight. They forgot they are playing a game they love and millions of people were wishing they were in their position. There was no excitement from anyone on offense (except for “5:27:12 PM”). Nobody was jumping in excitment or energy. Last drive they WALKED into the huddle with no excitment. Remember JETS, play the game with the same excitement and enthusiasm that got you to this level! Play like Wayne, LT, our Defense or Jets from the past. Have FUN!!!!

24. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

I can’t argue with any of that, scjoe, it’s just that “you can’t get there from here,” as they used to say. I mean, you have a have a QB in the Manning/Brady/Warner category, dominate a lot of teams during the season, and get to the playoffs year after year — and even then it’s hard to actually WIN the Super Bowl. Obviously, we’re quite a long way from any of that. At this point, I’ll be happy just to see us start scoring, say, three TDs per game on O, win or lose. Ya gotta start somewhere, and right now we’re nowhere!

25. By Scott on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Wayne-The ability to overcome mistakes was not evident in the Ravens game. Now that many penalties might be hard for anyone to overcome. It was too formula oriented. Although Flacco played poorly he still went vertical. Had another quarterback like Brees been in there it would not have been 10-9. Much worse! Now we have to move on. Brady and company next.

26. By Jimmy G on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, it was sick watching us self distruct. I have been a season ticket holder for 24 years and I can’t remember 100 yards in penalits in the first half and only 85 offensive yards. Sanchez has to get in a different mind set and have confidence. Run the ball against the Ravens when they are hurting in the secondary. Wow what nonsense. I know you watched the tape and you saw our receivers were open and he only looked at Keller. He did this all day. He has to see the field better and spread the ball around. He better get used to spreading the ball because when Holmes come back the whole offense will change. I pray SANCHEZ gets his act together if not it will be a long year.

27. By Jerryt on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

I agree with FISH HUNTERS: “Put Revis on Welker and Cro on Moss. Welker is the killer. He moves the ball and gets the bulk of the throws. Moss is just a homerun hitter. With double coverage you can control Moss.”

Also, I don’t think anyone has mentioned how close we were to actually winning! One less penalty from the secondary could have been a whole different outcome- likely a Jets win. And the media would have swung a whole different way.

I’m Enjoying your contribution Wayne!

28. By jet fan since birth on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

I am a huge fan of Chrebet loved your book every down every distance

I think the play calling needs to get better, period. Let sanchez throw the ball down feild, be more creative and dont abandon the run. I really hope greene can play better as the season goes on. but for now i think the major problem on offense in the play calling. we got these big name recivers lets use them

29. By Transplanted Jet fan. on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Fish Hunters – you must be watching Inside the NFL. They said the same thing about Welker. It sounds like a good plan and maybe all the talk about Revis on Moss is a diversion.

Mr. Chrebet, it’s a pleasure to read what you have to say. You have brought many many moments of joy into our home. We love your style. You’re an inspiration! Thank you for always being such a great personality and treating us, the fans, so well.

30. By Dave&Scott on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Amazing that the jets having kept Danny Woodhead, that they haven’t used him the way they could. The little guy with lightning speed, good hands and tons of heart could clearly be” Welkeresque” in his evolution, given the chance…It would be nothing short of remarkable to watch big tall Cromartie type DB’s who are infinately more adapt at chasing down Moss type wideouts, stumble and bumble while being tied up in knots by Woodhead. Go Rex, Go Jets!!!!!

31. By GreenLantern69 on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Great insight Wayne – bottom line: keep the faith Gang Green – it’s a long season. I think we can all agree things may be different if # 80 was still patrolling over the middle!

32. By JP on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Wayne!

Execution is key.

One thing I did not like when I heard Sanchez post-game was how he didn’t turn the ball over in the air. What the heck is that!

Is that what is being instilled in him? He should focus on making accurate throws down the field, not “avoiding” interceptions.

33. By SteveC on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Hey Wayne,

Great insight again I watched the game with my buddies and said “please dont through a pass and be yard short”….How does Dustin Keller not reach out for the first down marker and kept the drive alive- You at least had field awareness. We wont win many football games if they dont start playing smarter -way too many pentalties…..I prefer watching the food channel but good bad or ugly I always watch the jets when they play….Every Done Every Distance…Kudos Wayne for another fine analysis of our beloved Jets…..

34. By john on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

The reason we have a wes welker reciever in the slot today in the NFL.Is because of you WAYNE CHREBET. A db alone cannot cover him you need a tandem of db,s or a collapsing pocket around the Qb. the screen plays ne runs is the best in the nfl right now.we need to hurry brady and treat him like FARVE IN THE NFC GAME.YOU WERE MY FAVORITE PLAYER ALL TIME. NOW MY FAVORITE BLOGGER! YOU ARE DOING A GOOD JOB .

35. By AZ Jet Fan on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

Mr Wayne Chrebet,
    I must say having you do this blog maybe the best thing about this site. I look forward to reading it each week. Like so many others, I also have you as one of my all time favorite Jets. You were kind enough to autograph and pose for a picture with my friends and I out side the great SUN DEVIL stadium after a Cards/Jets game. Thanks again.

36. By AJ on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

How many times did the Jets challenge the deep safety’s ? I think it was ZERO. Is that not telling ? Sure if Mark is limited to 3 seconds with the ball that’s gonna kill the deep game but geeze ….4 empty qtrs for a team known for deep threats? I personally think that the coaching staff had to review the game and see something that was just flat out wrong with the O Line….or play structure…IT can’t be that they were just that bad..something else had to be wrong…if not…this may be the longest season they will ever face…

37. By Sfwight on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

Welker is the Wayne Chrebet of the Patriots.

38. By charliejet on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

Wayne – I don’t agree with you on this one “One down 15 to go” is almost an
    affirmation of sorts………… “Lost one game – 15 to Go !”

I think “One game at a time would have been better”.

Wayne we can sure use you today not just for talents – but I think you would have been a great leader for the team – one who leads by example – perhaps the best type of leader.

39. By annelene on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

Wayne you will always be my favorite Jet. I love that you’re doing this. Will look forward to your next blog…hopefully it’s bout how the Jets won the game againts the Patriots.

40. By Kim Pomeroy on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

I too was appauled at the penalties called thought it was very one sided,lots of missed opportunities. Wayne you were one of my favorite Jets ( Besides Joe Willy of course! ) once a jet allways a JET .I agree.. we need to let Sanchez fly or fail but DO IT ALREADY! Let him do what we signed him to do. Our defense is the BEST!! we need the offense to step up and give these guys a break let them stay off the field for a little to rest , a Jets fan for 45 years I still say “this will be our year”, ……every year, bleeding Green always lets squash Belechek.. OH, I mean the Patriots!

41. By charliejet on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

So Danny Woodhead is now a patriot……………………..

42. By Emil Sudol on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

Hi Mush,
    I hope you & family are doing ok,I miss going out to
    Hofstra, with Huff & the boys to watch you practice
    & going to Hooters afterwards for wings,with your mom & dad.If you are ever around on a friday night stopby
    Garfield Fire Co#4 to say hello, we still have cold beer on tap.
    Emil Sudol

43. By Rusty on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

Great job, Wayne!
    You are the original “Tough as Nails” Jet, watch all the cake-baking shows you want!

Watching the game Monday, I wasn’t too impressed with the Ravens.
    Lewis had FOUR TACKLES?
    34 carries for barely 50 yards?
    Todd Heap was their best player

The Jets have THE #1 defense and specials in the league. Lionheart with a great return too.

If the Jets cut the penalties in half, and the offense (MOSTLY coaching) actually plays 1-AA level football, they beat the Ravens, and will beat the Pats this week.
    Rusty

44. By ChristyP. on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Wayne!!!
    I am so excited to be reading this blog!!! You are one of the reason’s I became a NY Jets fan!!! I even wrote a book report on you back in high school! haha….Anyways, great to read your blog- keep it coming!!!!!! Nothing like an insightful write up from a previous JET!!!!

45. By Stephenie Rigby on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

I like your sports commentating! My vote is to have you on TV (SNY Jets Nation maybe).

Wayne….by far my favorite all heart player! I have had soft spot for you ever simce your debut. I met you the week before your last hit. I still wear your jersey in pride and always will for as long as I am a Jet fan….LOL…which will never change.

So, now I have to just try to teach that same out look to my soon to be 11 year old son, who is a stand out football player, baseball player and wrestling.

Well, just know that your a Jet and will always bleed green and will always be love by us true Jet fans.

One of your biggest fans,
    Stephenie