• Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 9:30 PM - 10:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 11:30 PM - 11:59 PM EDT Jets Post Game: Bears at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Thu., Sep. 25, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Fri., Sep. 26, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

Simms: Jets Need to Avoid ‘Tough Road’ of 0-2

Posted by Eric Allen on September 17, 2010 – 4:04 pm

As is the customary practice in the NFL, the television broadcast team that will call the weekend’s game stops by for production meetings at the home team’s headquarters on Friday. CBS had their No. 1 crew — Jim Nantz and Phil Simms — at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center today and we had the opportunity to catch up with Simms to discuss the Jets-Patriots clash.

“I hate to say it, but it’s big,” he said of the game’s magnitude for the Jets. (Click here to view the Jets TV interview with Phil.) “The NFL is so rough and it’s so hard. To go 0-2, your margin of error goes down and it just makes it harder. The way the league usually works, you’re going to lose one or two games during the year that you should have won, that you just dominate everything and somehow you lose. That happens, so to go 0-2, it’s a tough road.”

The Jets couldn’t get too much of anything going offensively against the Ravens, but Simms was more complimentary of the opponent’s defense than he was critical of the Jets’ offense.

“Alex Rodriguez doesn’t bat .400 against the best pitchers in baseball. I remember playing against the Philadelphia Eagles, who had a tremendous defense, and thinking, ‘Wow, if I can go 10-for-25, it would be great day.’ That’s kind of how I look at it,” he said during our on-camera interview. “The Jets hung in there. It didn’t quite work out, but it’s a long year and I think they have a lot of talent so it’s going to be fine.”

The Mark Sanchez skeptics were out in full force this week, but Simms remains high on the Green & White’s second-year passer.

“He’s still mobile, he still has a tremendous personality and he can make all the throws. Nothing’s changed and I say that right now,” Simms said. “I think the biggest thing for Mark Sanchez is getting more into the flow of the game and that’s the coaching. The coaches have to help him do that and I’m sure they will. The biggest point is he isn’t facing the Baltimore Ravens defense every week.”

In a defensive battle, Simms knew the Jets had held up their end of the bargain as well. But when he reviewed the game video, he determined that the Green & White had “physically dominated” on the defensive side. Last year in Week 2, New York’s AFC representative rattled Tom Brady and held the Patriots to just three field goals in an upset win.

“The New England Patriots had all offseason to look at all those blitzes and to think of a new way to attack the Jets defense,” he said. “Everybody has a lot of answers on the chalkboard, but do they work on the field? And that’s what we’ll find out. But I know we’ll see some different stuff from the Patriots than we did last year.”

Tags: , ,
Posted in Eric Allen, Uncategorized | 42 Comments »

42 Responses to “Simms: Jets Need to Avoid ‘Tough Road’ of 0-2”

1. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

I guess you can count on a proven winner, a Super Bowl champion QB, to tell it like it is. I was impressed, if a bit shocked, by the way the announcers on Monday night were excoriating the Jets’ failure to come up with a single workable offensive play by the third or fourth quarter. You can’t fix something if you don’t take ownership of it, so it’ll be interesting to see what Rex and Schotty plan against the Pats. Funny, I suppose I’m in the moderate group since I don’t advocate benching Sanchez and Wilson, cutting McKnight and Gholston, trading Revis and Jenkins, don’t consider Cromartie “useless,” don’t see cutting Woodhead as disastrous, etc. And I’ll give Schotty the rest of the year to show he deserves his job…but the rest of the year starts Sunday.

2. By Russell on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

This Sunday, the Jets need to run the ball effectively, mixing in some play action passes and keep the Patriots offense off the field. Shonn Greene, hang onto the football. Mark Sanchez, take a shot and throw the ball downfield. Defensively, I look forward to seeing the Jets pressuring Brady, create some turnovers and keep Welker under wraps. Properly recognize and defend both the WR screen play and that crossing pattern play with Welker. Don’t give up any big plays on special teams. I can’t see them losing two straight at home in the new stadium.

3. By Christopher on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Call me crazy, but if teams are going to totally move away from Revis and not throw his way, don’t you think we could catch a team off guard by blitzing Revis? Since we seem to have to blitz every down to get any pressure, why not throw something at them they have not seen before. In the right situation it could work.

4. By Christopher on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

And everyone talks about Wilson covering Welker, I know that is Wilson’s position, but why not match him on Cromartie. He obviously has a size advantage, and with those long arms maybe he knocks down some of those passes Brady has to thread in to him.

And for those critizing Wilson, if he had proper safety help it wouldn’t have seemed so bad. You can’t leave a rookie to cover Boldin 1 on 1 without help (or to me it seemed like help was always too late). With Rhodes gone and Pool hurt there has been a drop off. Leonhard is a good safety, but a little suspect in coverage.

5. By AJ on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

well, as they always say, if mark and the rest of the green team can complete a few +/- 20 yarders early it will make this a game they can flirt with right to a win…we really need to establish some “fear” right out of the gate…

6. By GaryC on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

what is the problem of having the pass open up the run instead of the other way around, you spread the offense with three wides and tomlinson,it opens up the run for Greene.the problem would be if sanchez can’t read his hots.,when team decides to blitz.alot of teams are opening up their games with three wides, give defenses something to think about .they brought Clowney back.make him the third wide until holmes comes back and sit richardson.

7. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

All good points heres another With players like L-T B-E J-Co T-Rich Keller S-Green without the fumbles whats the problem running on passing downs and passing on running downs or is that what we’re doing I’m confused whats the worst that could happen 74 yards passing and 6 1st downs …I’m calling for B-Smith to take at least 3- 4 snaps a game the kid always get positive yardage always MEMO hopefully so will Jets coaches …

8. By TONY GARCIA on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

i agree with everyones comment to early to panic will find our way our schedule starts with a rough stretch.no time to panic its a long season. go jets
    fan since 1968.

9. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

From your post to God’s ear, GaryC. I expect (well, hope) to see a lot of 3-WR formations when Holmes gets back and rather than wait for his return, it would be smart to ramp Sanchez up on that by doing it with J-Co, Edwards, and Clowney now. That would also give Clowney a real chance to earn his roster spot by way of what originally excited us about him, his speed and field-stretching potential at WR, rather than ST, which seemed like just a way to keep him on the team. If all we need Clowney for is the gunner’s job we shoulda kept Wright, who was terrific at it. Certainly you could do worse than to have J-Co, SH, BE, and Clowney in the game every week on O and on the stat sheet — assuming you value throwing the ball to them once in awhile, that is.

10. By ddh on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Phil, I can agree with you, the D did play a physical game and if it wasnt for a few key penalties I doubt the ravens would have seen the end zone. I see Sundays’ game coming down to the jet O, the D will get the job done for their part, however the O (and Shotty) must find a way to stay on the field, let alone put points on the board, as time of possession is always key, if not turn overs, they can ill afford to leave anything, either, on the field, or from the playbook undone. AND PLEASE PLAY TO THEIR WEAKNESSES, AND EXPLOIT IT!!!

11. By scjoe on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

Remember when most defenses didn’t respect the long pass with Chad? Well it’s deja vu all over again! I think it is essential that Sanchez throws the ball down field early and often in this game, if he hits on a few that is great, if he don’t, he will at least make NE respect the down field passing game and not load up the box. I don’t know, to me that plan just seems so logical, but it will come down to Shotty and Rex. Maybe they can come up with something better. Do you think??

12. By wayne on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

It would make sense that the Jets do everything to see that this kid, Sanchez succeed considering the bold move they made to get him and the financial commitment they’ve made to him. IF YOU DON’T BELIEVE YOUR QB CAN WIN THE GAME FOR YOU, THEN YOU DON’T HAVE ONE….It’s obvious now that he’s going to have to prove something to the league. The box will be stacked….THE ONUS IS ON THE COACHING STAFF TO COME UP WITH SOLUTIONS, NOT SOME 24YR OLD…..GET IT DONE REX!, GET IT DONE SCHOTTENHEIMER!….Let’s find out if this team has a QB or a GQ pinup.

13. By Alex G on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

Lets get every one off the back of Sanche.z the hater’s , the press , and us. and let the kid throw the football. he’s a football player last I checked, so let the guy play stop thinking to much and let him stretch the field!!!! tired of seeing him frustrated by play calls from the conservitive style play of the Jets. we need a big win Sunday and Sanchez needs to know he is the Leader, nothing worse then being a pretend leader. and he feels it from everywhere!!

14. By GaryC on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

Just remember jet fans, Brees became a very good quarterback when he left Marty Schottenheimer for Sean Payton.Now we have the younger Schotty again having problems developing a quarterback,It could be the genes pool.

15. By TMac on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

I heard Tony Kornheiser (ESPN )defend Sanchez by saying,”Do you know how many twitter followers he has? Do you know how many jerseys he’s sold?”
    The News gal from Mexico, NFLLatino.com, et al. We’re not talking about a QB; we’re talking about a “Mark”eting machine created by Woody and the NFL to develop a wider audience…the fact that he’s just not very good is irrelevant!

16. By GaryC on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

their are teams in the nfl if you blindfolded their quarterback they would complete passes, then their are the others if the whole defense was off the field they might complete fifty percent. It is the misfortune of jet fans that the jets might fall into the latter category.c’mon man.

17. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

Good points, wayne and Alex. Did you read the part of Rex’s press conference about his contribution to the offensive planning? It was apparently another example of Rex’s humorous, self-deprecating style that the reporters seem to love so much, but I have to say the laughs stuck in my throat a bit. When I read him saying yeah, I circle a few plays I like, then I leave it to them, I couldn’t help having a hard time picturing Cowher, Shanahan, or some of the other premier coaches that folks wanted the Jets to hire taking such a casual, minimal approach to the O. Oh well, a few more offensive performances like Monday and we won’t be the only ones concerned, like you say about the heat on Sanchez, Alex G. In fact, then the pendulum will probably swing in the other direction, with more calls for Brunell or KC to start (like that’s the answer). At least I say we gotta give it the whole season, much as I know that could be hard to do. Blowing the games to NO, ATL, and JAX last year ’cause we couldn’t score was hard enough.

18. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

Alex I respect what your saying here’s the problem everyone IS ON THE SAME PAGE in knowing our offence isn’t good enough to average 14 points a game in 2 seasons so stop with the hater comments truth hurts what can I say .. what your saying was said last season by all .We let him throw he average I believe 5 turnovers a game sorry if I don’t care if hes frustrated he Got a $50million contract and cost us some very good players to preform for this team I don’t know about you but I’m still waiting …what about fan frustration don’t hear anyone feeling bad for them .. he hasn’t proved he can lead yet .. As a result Rex Schottky had to dumbed down the offence to settle him in and the rest of our team has eat it until he does .. Lets not blame the victims Blame the culprits

19. By JOHN AVVENTO on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

TERRIBLE! JUST FLAT OUR HORRIBLE JOB BY SCHOTTY! SANCHEZ THROWS A GORGEOUS 35YRDR DOWN THE SEEM 2 KEELER IN DOUBLE COVERAGE, ITS DOWN ON THE ONE AND LO AND BEHOLD, IT’S CALLED BACK BECAUSE OF ANOTHER DUMB BRAYLON EDWARDS PENALTY. YET, U WOULD THINK THE COACHES WOULD TAKE NOTICE OF THE ABILITY SANCHEZ HAS AND ATTACK A SUSPECT RAVENS SECONDARY BETTER??? RIDICULOUS! THAT GAME WAS ALL ON THE COACHING STAFF. HORRIBLE!

20. By JOHN AVVENTO on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

PLEASE FOR GOD SAKES… I HAVE GIVEN MY HEART AND SOUL TO THIS TEAM FOR 35YRS. PLEASE CAN I JUST ENJOY ONE REAL SEASON?? ONE SEASON WHERE PEOPLE EXPECT THIS TEAM TO BE GOOD AND THEY ARE. ONE REAL SEASON WHERE THEY BULLY OTHER TEAMS INSTEAD OF GETTING BULLIED?? JUST ONE? THE QB IS A NO1 DRAFT PICK THAT YOU TRADED UP 2 NUMBER 5 TO GET. HE HAS ABILITY AND U NEED TO LET THIS KID PLAY. HANDCUFFING HIM LAST WEEK IN HIS SECOND YEAR WAS A DISGRACE!

21. By Clarke W. Griswald on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

“Let my people throw…”

22. By Mr.Green on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

IF THE JETS CAN’T CONTROL THE BALL ON THE GROUND THEY WILL BE IN A WORLD OF TROUBLE. BRADY WILL USE BOTH WELKER AND EDELMAN ALONG WITH MOSS, GRONOWSKI AND HIS OTHER WRs & TEs. HE JUST HAS TOO MANY WEAPONS. SANCHEZ MUST STEP UP. IT’S TIME TO TAKE THE KID GLOVES OFF. HOWEVER HE DOESN’T HAVE HALF THE WEAPONS BRADY HAS. EDWARDS, COTCH AND KELLER WON’T OFFSET NE PASSING ATTACK. CLOWNEY HAS TO STEP UP BIG TIME OR THE JETS WILL FINALLY REALIZE THIS GUY JUST DOESN’T HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO PLAY AT THIS LEVEL. BUFFALO LOOKS LIKE THE ONLY EASY GAME IN THE FIRST 9. BUT THAN AGAIN BUFFALO IS RARELY EASY FOR THE JETS. IT SEEMS WHENEVER WE HAVE A GOOD YEAR WE FOLLOW IT WITH A REAL STINKER. GO JETS ?????????

23. By Luis from olathe KS on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

If we had run the ball to the outside of the formation more often we should had more first downs against the Ravens, I hope to see them against the Patriots it will help spread the defense and they will be more tired. Also B Smith should get more opportunities as QB.

24. By Clarke W. Griswald on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

and Woodhead is a patriot…

25. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

Funniest post of the day, Clarke, especially coming on Yom Kippur! John Avvento, I think you’re in the record books for posts with CAPS but I agree with you on Sanchez and the O. You can’t help getting the feeling that Rex and Schotty think we can win without an explosive offense, which is just nonsense in today’s NFL. And as MJV says, $50 mil and some good players (wouldn’t mind having Trusnick back and Stuckey’s good, though we no longer need him) for less than 14 points a game at this point in a second season is a pretty weak return.

26. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

I had a feeling the Pats would sign Woodhead as soon as they traded Maroney, they have no one like him in the backfield and lack speed there. Still, you can’t keep everybody. Our problem isn’t Sanchez completing short routes to Woodhead four times a season, it’s completing a variety of passes to J-Co, Holmes, Edwards, and Keller in every game. If that doesn’t happen this year, neither will we.

27. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

Can’t wait to hear all the reasons and excuses why Revis won’t be 100% and might lose time this week and beyond .. Rex and Mike -T should have egg all over their faces trying to explain that one away .. stay tuned

28. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

Jets think tank never seizes to amaze me I’m certainly no scholar never claimed to have hobnobbed with any genius if you can believe that HA anyway I’m thinking Wouldn’t it have been just slightly better letting Woodhead go after the patriot game or HEY how about this just UPS a playbook straight to the Pats facility unless it was a ploy to totally confuse Bill Belichick with our sophisticated offensive schemes .. B-E stop and go red car– J-co button hook stop sign– Keller go long light pole ..set and go on 3

29. By GaryC on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

Hoping Rexy isn’t throwing Sanchez under the bus when he makes comments like we will beat the patriots despite myself and our quarterback.Rex needs to remember he put the staff together and that includes shotty. Hope Sanchez has tough skin because with Shotty and Rex they look like their doing a tag team on him.

30. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

GaryC, I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that if we don’t score a good amount of points by mid-season and look good for the playoffs, a mid-season firing of Schotty is a possibility. Rex has shown that the happy talk stops when the results aren’t good enough and if we’re out of the playoffs eight games in, it would send a major signal to get rid of Schotty and his low-scoring ways. Hopefully we just open it up today and start scoring but that would be new for Sanchez as a Jet. For $50 million and a number 5 pick, though, we have the right to ask for it.

31. By charliejet on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

Call me crazy … I know we live and die by the blitz and I’m sure patriots are expecting us to blitz but what if we played it a little conservative (a little less blitzing) and double up on welker, confuse brady with flooding i.e dropping back linebackers – playing the flat, watch welker coming over the middle – double teaming welker. Oddly enough Moss doesn’t worry me welker does – as with most fans. Our offense get aggressive – very aggressive. To put it simply reverse our offense/defense on field objectives and as someone said let Revis blitz on an occasion or 2. Like I said – call me crazy.

32. By matt on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

It would be nice if Schotty actually gives the Jets a chance to win. If he only lets Sanchez throw on 3rd and long, the Jets will lose.

Sanchez has to throw long once a quarter because that’s what he does best. If Schotty calls another game like Monday-fire him on the spot. Rex never hired him anyway.

33. By Castro on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

you know i hope the first play of the game is four wide and they let Mark take a five step drop and just launch the ball as far as he can even if he doesn’t complete it. That way hopefully many of you haters……what am i talking about haters won’t shut up they hate because they can’t do.

all these arm chair QB’s and Coaches have no clue what is going on inside the locker room,team meetings, coaches meetings, etc. what you think you watch what six episodes of hard knocks and you understand the in’s and out’s of the Jets.

34. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

Castro, all I need to understand is that except for a brief time when Favre aired it out like very few QBs can, and apparently sometimes over Schotty’s objections, Schotty has never proven that he can get the Jets to put the kind of points on the board that you need today to win in the NFL.

35. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

I just came to a very sobering conclusion as I’m kicking back this weekend listening to all these sports analysis about the Jets you know the usual suspects NFL today– Fox sports– ESPN –NFL network whats upsetting is I didn’t hear anything I don’t already know and believe subconsciously I’m still in denial about like so many others Rex and Ira to name a few .. I listened to 2 super bowl and 1 SB runner up QB’s say the same about Sanchez they being S-Young Phil Sims and Dan Marino all not good or encouraging I won’t bore you with details .. Next Warren Sapp on our Defence saying what I’ve been saying for 2 seasons with all their blitzing without a ((((premier pass rusher)))) and no offence to speak of 1 or 2 descent plays down field is all it may take to beat the Jets ..So if we add into the equation the QB’s and teams we’re facing this year well I said enough I’ll let you do the math .. I pray our Defence is up to the task

36. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

Castro ..let me just say about your arm chair not knowing the goings on behind closed doors coaches meeting locker room etc comment .This is very true but what ever it is their doing hope it chances fast be4 we go 0-2 with no chance to make the playoffs let alone win a division or Super bowl hope that helps clear up any misunderstanding you may have about some of fan comments which BTW me included watching this team long be4 most our coaches and players were born

37. By GioD on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

JETS need to come out and fight swinging! Don’t play like “you don’t want to loose the game”. Play like a Jet and play to win the game. Let Sanchez to get loose and let him trow the ball down field. GO JETS!

38. By Mr Green on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

JUST WANT TO SAY THANKS TO DARRELLE REVIS, HE OF THE HAMSTRING INJURY, FOR RUINING THE START OF OUR SEASON WITH HIS GREED

39. By charliejet on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

I can’t wait to read some of these tomorrow……………..

40. By Mr.Green on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

I love eating crow. Didn’t think the Jets had a chance. THANKS for proving me wrong.

41. By charliejet on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

I’M NO EXPERT BUT THIS IS WHAT I CALLED FOR A GAME PLAN – LOOK FAMILIAR FOR A GAME PLAN – CHECK OUT THE POST DATE. EASING UP ON THE BLITZ AND GETTING MORE AGGRESSIVE ON DEFENSE.

By charliejet on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

42. By charliejet on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Sometimes I’m So smart I even amaze myself !…………… or as Joe Namath said in his biography..
    “I Can’t Wait Until Tomorrow Because I Get Better Looking Every Day”

Charliejet :)