• Sun., Apr. 20, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Fri., May. 09, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sat., May. 10, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., May. 18, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 01, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

CHREBET: And Away We Go

Posted by Wayne Chrebet on September 23, 2010 – 9:02 am

Here is Wayne Chrebet’s third blog of the season for newyorkjets.com:

Big win. I think the look on Tom Brady’s face sitting on the bench late in the game Sunday afternoon says it all. It told the story of how he felt knowing it was a loss that shouldn’t have been. How they got shut down the second half of the game. The Jets defense completely took him out of the game. Everyone knows how explosive the Pats offense can be. Well on Sunday, they met their match. You can bet that Brady and his crew will be fired up the next time that they play.

It’s always great to beat the Pats. Most important, it’s a division win. When it comes down to who makes the playoffs when the teams are deadlocked, the head-to-head wins are the ones that make the difference.

Nice to see them loosen the reins on Sanchez. I think it was his best overall performance in a game. He really managed the game well, made some big plays when they needed them. The difference that I saw from Game 1 to last week’s game is that he bought himself a lot of time stepping up in the pocket, rolling out and giving the receivers more time to get open. If he plays like that and the defense plays to their capability, they’ll win 11 out of 10 times.

I guess I have to talk about the elephant in the room. Everyone knows that Braylon Edwards got a DUI Monday night. I don’t like focusing on one player too much, especially if it involves a negative thing, but I feel I have to. Not everyone will care what I think, but this is my blog and I do it to give my opinion about Jets-related events. So here it goes.

I hear a lot of people saying that the Jets knew that he was that kind of guy when they signed him. He had some previous negative incidents. He was also known as a very good young player. So you know, I have never had a conversation with the man but I have heard from players and coaches that he’s a good guy. On the other hand you have people coming out and saying that they’re not surprised by his behavior. Bottom line is that he had a choice and it ended up being a poor one. It’s unfortunate for the team. It’s unfortunate for him. You just hope that he learns from it.

Next time he should use the PlayerProtect program (a 24-hour car service available to the players for instances like this). I know people who have lost loved ones in alcohol-related accidents. This is why this bothers me so much, why I’m passionate about it. I think I speak for everyone when I say that I’m glad no one, including Braylon, was hurt.

If he gets suspended this season, someone’s going to have to step up. With Santonio suspended for two more games, some of these young guys are going to have to earn their stripes. No player wants to move up the depth chart because of something like this. But it is what it is.

The good thing about the offense is that they have a balanced attack so no team can focus on the run or the pass. The best thing about this is that when you lose a player, you still have a chance to have a really good offense. As the Jets do. I know the fans were very impressed Sunday with the offense, but you have to remember that an important piece of the puzzle hasn’t even stepped on the field yet. That’s Santonio Holmes. Having played against him for years, I know that he is a game changer. You line up Cotchery, Holmes, Edwards and Keller out there, put LT in the backfield or spread him out, who are you going to cover? In my opinion, Keller has the potential to be a special player.

And what more can I say about LT? He was supposed to have had his best games behind him. But he’s not showing it. And after every play he lets you know it. I never really liked players going crazy after every play (hand up, I am guilty of doing this occasionally) but he deserves it. He does it for the same reason that I did. Just living in the moment, feeding off the crowd. It’s contagious. It gets everyone fired up. I love it. Still gives me goosebumps.

This is the first game on the road for the Jets. A Sunday night game with the whole country watching again. You can’t beat that. The crowd’s going to be hostile. They’re excited, they’re 2-0 coming off a big win in Minnesota. Not an easy place to win. Expectations are high right now in Miami. They have a very good young team. A stout defense, which limited the Favre-led offense to 10 points. There are probably not a lot of guys that you can name on their defense. A lot of unknowns with great motors. And they come to play.

The Jets are going to get booed. Loudly. I always loved being booed. Obviously it’s exciting to come out of the tunnel at home. The intensity of the crowd just hits you in the face. On the road it’s still a high, just a different type. It’s like 50 brothers locking arms and walking into someone’s house to put a beating on them.

The first thing to do is get the crowd out of the game. Make them doubt their team, maybe even get them to boo a little. If you go right down the field and score on your first possession, it completely deflates the other team and its fans. Obviously the game isn’t close to being over, but it really changes the dynamic of the game. The best feeling in the world is watching the other team’s fans leaving before the game’s over. It’s the ultimate insult. They worked hard all week, watched the film, lifted the weights, practiced hard. And before they know it, they’re losing and the fans have given up. Not a good feeling. That’s what the Jets need to accomplish.

From experience, I can tell you that a bad loss like the one that the Jets had the first week psychologically takes a toll on you. Even the most confident team might have a tiny bit of doubt. Even if it’s a blur of a thought saying “Are we as good as we think we are?” It happens.

But the team reacted exactly how a winning team does. It’s only one win, but it’s a big one, vs. a very good team. I don’t think that there was any doubt that the Pats thought they were unbeatable. The AFC East is now officially up for grabs. And it all starts this Sunday night in Miami. Rex will have them fired up. You can count on that.

Tags: , , , , , ,
Posted in Special Contributor | 50 Comments »

50 Responses to “CHREBET: And Away We Go”

1. By IRA on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, Its going to be crazy down there. Who knows better than you. And this is also the Fish’s home opener and they follow this game with a MNF game next week vs the Pats. The first sign of trouble and the Dolphin fans will turn on their team. Plus 20-25% of the crowd will be Jets fans if not more. This won’t be easy but the Jets are the better team and should win if they play up to their potential.
    GO JETS!!!!

2. By Lisa on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Well, sadly they did not suspend Edwards. And they should have. What kind of message are the Jets sending in general? Not starting him isn’t even a slap on the wrist. It should cost him in his wallet because next time it might cost someone else’s life. Soooooooooo tired of these professional athletes having such disregard for everyone but themself. The Jets are sending a really bad message on this one and should bite the bullet and not allow Edwards to play until after his hearing.

3. By Tom Spicer on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Lisa he doesnt have court until November 9th than that will get pushed back until after the year. So should we sit him for the entire season? Yes I think they should done more than not start him but at the same time I dont think we should get rid off him for the year.

4. By wayne on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

The Jets did what I expected them to do….JUST WIN BABY…..With all that’s gone on so far, this game will set the tone for a good part of the season, until the next off the field screwup….The headcoach has to show that he can behave like a grownup if he truly wants the children to behave…

5. By ddh on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Another fine post, thanks Wayne, Yes a huge difference between week one and two, game plan being the most obvious change, got to let the talent out.
    I kind of view the BE situtation as I might if it were a family matter, we all know its bad and shouldnt have happened due to resources they have available to avoid it,but as in a family we dont need to beat a dead horse to death, pay the fine, learn,and then move on.
    Ac played lights out, he must have really taken week one to heart, as well as Wilson, Im sure we all gave a great sigh of relief with their play.

6. By Go Jets ?? on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

I just don’t know what Jets team is going to show up at Miami. week one are week two. Miamis D is looking great. The Pats do not have the same D as Miami. if Miami wins this one its over for us! Go Jets ???

7. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

I think it’s pretty funny that some fans cave to players’ extravagant salary demands in a hot second but the minute a player gets into some kind of trouble, they want the entire NFLPA rulebook thrown out and the player banned for life. Like they say, the only two crazy things you can do are under-react and over-react…

8. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Nice work, Wayne, I look forward to your column as soon as our game for the week is over!

9. By bill hughes on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

I just don’t understand two things: 1. The attraction for the players to stay out until 5am partying; and why neither Brick nor Vernon Gholston told Braylon Edwards to call the car service. We could have lost, if there was an accident, three valuable players permanently. 2. Why someone making $6 million for playing a game can’t mature sufficiently to handle his fame/fortune for the short time that football players make their career. I truly hope he shapes up, because he apparently has gotten over dropping the ball and has grown to be a valuable weapon for the teram. Go JETS.

10. By 37 year fan on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Wayne is right Absolutely should score early and take the air out of the tires …We must out tough them …. Beat them on the line of scrimmage ..

11. By 37 year fan on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Hey Wayne , any chance you could make a comeback and give us another reciever ? …I’m guessing You could still probably play . …I am not even kidding .

12. By revisfan24 on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, you were my favorite player back in the day. Its a shame you had to leave. Like 37 year fan said, is there any chance you could come back to the game. even if it is just for a year…. see if you still have any in the tank…that would be great…great post…look forward to seeing more as soon as jets win sunday.

13. By Gmany3k on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Edwards is only 27 yrs old he is not quite as wise as you Bill . what were you people doing in your youth think about it . if you weren’t you were in the minority.
    want to punish Edwards than put him in central park and lock him up in the old style hands head and feet for 24 hrs. Do you think that the Justice system to include lawyers are operating under the Law which keeps them in business.?
    Mans Law looks to punish it doesn’t look to cultivate love thy neighbor as thy self.
    Judge not lest ye be Judged . the point is don’t look for Fascists to improve moral character but look to each other for support. Just like Wayne is doing in this post.
    I would expect Wayne to visit the young Edwards and share his experience and show his support . I hope Edwards score 2 TD this weekend.who will step up and give him a ride?

14. By billy lamachine hayes on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

wayne. once again,you did a FANTASTIC job.writing is your forte.i cant stand the patriots.when the jets beat pats sunday(AND THEY BEAT THEM GOOD) i was elated to say the least.it made my night to see that look on brady’s face.the next day,news comes out that braylon edwards got arrested for DWI.my joy was turned to sadness. i usually have something funny to reply to you but theres nothing funny about drinking and driving.as you said,we lost loved ones to drunk drivers.yoou also mentioned preventive ways to keep from driving when you drink.sometimes we make bad choices because our egos tell us,it wont happen to me. loved your positive and supportive attitude wayne and your right,LETS HOPE THIS DOES’NT HAPPEN AGAIN.GREAT JOB WAYNE. lets hope we have some laughs next week after we FRY SOME FISH!!!!!!!! J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS YOU THE MAN WAYNE

15. By Colleen_Island on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Wayneeee…come back and play for the JETS pleaseeeeeeee

16. By Gmany3k on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

There is a solution to the Drinking and Driving but it is not what we have in place today. Pilots do it why can’t automobiles do it. its called auto pilot . this type of thinking serves all people except those who profit from the present system , they would not in this solution.Have a nice day.

17. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Wayne again very insightful lucid piece just on your player protection program alone but surely you understand or maybe not because I believe you have more since.. Whats really disturbing B-E Brick and V-G were more willing to take their chances in hurting themselves or worst some innocent bystanders then using that service in knowing when Rex the public and company found out they broke curfew even though the punishment and or consequences would have been far less weren’t willing to take heat as a result showing how truly immature they really are..I have a question for B-E wondering if anyone else thinks is (strange) whats with that beard I mean many people in all walks of life have beards but hey your a Millionaire why aren’t you at least trimming that thing whats up with that hope it isn’t some other deep rooted problems going on in his head

18. By AJ on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

The Edwards thing, I’m torn both directions. IF I’m driving a company car and get a DUI, I’m done, but if I’m on my own in my car, I don’t gt fired…but I also don’t drink..had to throw that in there..Edwards, a bad decision, does he have history of DUI’s ??? or is this the first ? Maybe a first incident can result in a warning, Maybe being too severe is too much for a 1st time..not my call..I don’t like it but if he can control it and understand he was really wrong maybe one time thing can be a life long lesson…There will be legal issues once he goes in front of a Judge so who knows ..I hate it…

I hope last weeks Jets show up in Miami…against a 2-0 team., last weeks Jets need to get off the plane !

AJ..

19. By russ on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Did you know that only 1 in a hundred are caught driving under the influence? the law is a good law and should be enforced but to rant on and on by many in the media and to belittle the team is more than I can take….Due process will take care of this “traffic violation”… Coach Ryan, Mike T, and Woody have built a fine organization and I am proud to be a Jet fan nothing has happened to change that…and litlle men behind microphones on radio can pontificate till hell freezes over the New York Jets are and remain a first class organization….

20. By Troy on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

I love wayne’s enthusiasm , but I cant be the only one that is worried about going down there with 3 all-pro defenders watching from home ,and not knowing the psyce of this team right now with the Edwards incident,they’ve admitted its impossible to get to not have lingering in the BLDG this week,really not the way you wanted to go down and get revenge from last season ,they (Fins) are playing tough physical football,and are healthy except for the Rook Odrick,we need to inturn have our O-Line beat on them thier a little undersized on the D-line ,pound on with Greene & LTD…that will be what demoralizes them,looking at thier Minnesota game it looks like they are overly agressive in getting into their running lanes A.P exposed this with alot of cut backs ,it should be there for us as well…Go get em guys …

21. By Tammy on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for taking the time to write out you thoughts. You have been there, and done that….and I really enjoy your blog!! Thrilled with what I saw on Sunday, that is the team I know the JETS can be!!! Looking forward to Sunday night!! GO JETS!!

22. By dependabill2112 on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Very insightful, Wayne. I thank you for your knowledge and for your ability to put you thoughts into posts that we understand. Good job. we miss you.

23. By Jennifer on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Wow, want Wayne to come back to the game?? He was the most amazing receiver there ever was but he endured a lot of injuries and his body has taken enough beating. Let’s just remember him for the fantastic catches and runs he made, and most of all, for the HEART he had and still has!! Sure it would be great to watch Number 80 on that field again, but the cost is way too high!!! He is a legend and legends are just to be remembered and loved forever!! Thanks for the awesome memories. It was a great ride!!!

24. By Tom Spicer on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

The Jets have to win these next 2 games the division games are like 1 1/2 games & if we are to be considered REAL title contenders we have to beat the teams like the Dolphins & the Bills who I do not consider the elite teams of the NFL.

25. By Vegas Video Dude on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Great job.Very insightful writing. Wish you could still be out there for the JETS! Still my favorite JET player of all time. I wear your jersey proudly every game day!

26. By Adrienne P on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, my all-time favorite JET. I love the blog. So excited to see you sticking around the JETS and keeping up your relationship with them. I LOVE IT! Great blog and I feel the same way you do about Braylon. Hang in there B. Everyone makes mistakes. Just learn from it and move on. God Bless and take care. We miss you #80!!!

J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

27. By Ray on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

@ Lisa and some others, if what I read is correct, the Jets and the NFL are not allowed to suspend him at this point. So sitting him is their only option at this point. Any fines or suspensions will come after he has his day in court.

28. By TONY GARCIA on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

I REC. A DUI its treated as a criminal offense first then driving offense 2 nd
    first time offender will not be treated to harshly. they did not give him a field sobriety test just a breath test. sounds crazy he may have passed field sobriety test yet failed the breath test. i learned my lesson a very expensive one.hopefully jets show up and play hard. no if we loose its not the end of the season. i have said 2-2 after first 4 games were ok. its a marathon not a sprint.
    you were a great rec. good luck

29. By Casey on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Im a born and raised Florida girl. but NY Jets fan for life. ( my dad raised me right) A #80 jersey hangs in my dorm room all the way out here in Vancouver, Canada. I proudly wear it around school on game days. I love reading what you have to say, you’ve got it all on point, keep it up! J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

30. By Joe B on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Great piece, great insight. But Wayne never played with Santonio Holmes. Just saying..

31. By Joe B on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

or against.

32. By dihard3 on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

I too was very dissapointed in BT and the others poor judgement HOPEFULLY they will learn from their mistake, working in drug and alcohol you would be very surprised at how many actually do drive drunk and do not get caught for years and keep on doing it even after being caught over and over again…very talented young athletes can make mistakes as well as us mere mortals..thankfully noone was hurt..I too have been and still am VERY PROUD of my JETS this doesnot change that…walking a few feet off the ground after Sundays Pats game.. OHHH Poor Mr Brady lost to the gang green AGAIN!!!!! The fish better quiver in their fishbowl there’s gonna be a fish fry…go GANG GREEN!!!!!!!!!

33. By GaryC on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Here is something to think about. You think Rex has informed Shotty how much time he will be playing edwards.Hope shotty has a backup plan in case his go to guy in this game is not on the field much.we will really find out how good of a coordinator shotty is.

34. By Gmany3k on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Gotta love Casey’s post.

35. By Gmany3k on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Russ lets pull the mic.

36. By brody on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Big deal dolphins are 2-0 !! they barely beat the bills who have no QB,RB, well basically they stink! They only put up 14 points when they had 4 turnovers and the defense scored a touchdown for them vs minnesota!! ITHEY SHOULD HAVE GAVE THE GAMEBALL TO FAVRE FOR GIVING THEM THE GAME! The dolphins talk about Henne and Marshall as if they were Montana and Rice ! has marshall even had a td yet or 100 yd game???? i dont think so!!THE DOLPHINS ARE DONE WHEN PARCELL LEAVES AFTER THIS YEAR!!!

37. By big vinny on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

nice win for the jets
    its big vinny form bootcamp

38. By Fish Hunters on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Great article Wayne!

39. By Pono3 on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Glad to see shotty take the reins off sanchez, that is the biggest difference between game 1and 2. If Sanchez can be that good anywhere near it,,,, watch out.. This team will me hard to beat.

40. By NYisontop on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

I’m confident in the team’s match-up this week. Both defenses are incredibly talented – I think the Jets have been more tested against the Patriots and Ravens than the Phins were against hapless Buffalo and the imploding Vikings but they still have a formidable defense. In looking at how the two offenses line up against both defenses, I can’t find a favorable outcome for the Dolphins on either side of the ball. Keller, Smith and Cotchery can all come up with plays – Brad Smith will need to establish himself with a few catches. Add Tomlinson to the mix on some passing plays, Greene and LT can churn rushing yards as well as any of them – and I don’t see how the Dolphins’ defense will notice if Braylon is in the game or not – they have a lot on their plate to cover and Sanchez is showing more poise than Henne under pressure. The Dolphins could Wildcat themselves to death as they did last November to grind out a come-back win, but we’ve seen what this Jets defense can do against the run. We keep comparing the Jets with their performance in Week 1, but Schottenheimer has seen his offense in action, Sanchez can escape a pass-rush on occasion, and Wilson and Lowery are settling in. This team is for real, and the Dolphins undefeated hopes are about to run into a wall.

Thanks for the insight Wayne, we all appreciate your blog and all you’ve done and do for the team and its fans.

41. By AJ on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

I guess we can say the Dolphins are 2-0 and 2-0 is not that big of a deal. But the fact of the matter is they are still 2-0 ! On any given Sunday any team can beat any other team, to expect that we will have the better team because we won big last week is a mistake…a win is a win, good bad or ugly.. just ask the Ravens ! 10 to 9, 40 to 39..50 to zero..it’s all the same , a win! When a team can win the games where they are playing really poor, that’s what makes the winning season. Go Jets..Dump the Dolphins ! That’s all I have to say !
    aj

42. By Steve on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, I just wanted to thank you for all that you do. I still have your replica jersey in my closet. I remember being at the Jets-Phins game in Dec. of 1998 when you guys beat them in the 4th when Marino fumbled and Cascadden returned it like 85 yards for a TD. That game was a Sunday night ESPN game too. There were so many Jets fans there and the Phins fans were deflated. It was a great feeling and you guys almost made it all the way that season (thanks Denver). You were my favorite player then and you’re still my all-time favorite Jet. I usually don’t have favorite players, because they come and go (it is a business after all), but you are without a doubt my favorite Jet of all time. Now let’s go phishing! J E T S Jets Jets Jets!!

43. By George on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Wayne Chrebet for President!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44. By John on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Great job as usual Wayne, I’m starting to look forward to this every week. Great Jets win,especially coming after a big loss in week one. Seeing the offence explode like that, and the defence get past a the loss of Revis in the second half was a big relief.
    Go Jets

45. By Marcus Simmons on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Great writing Wayne. Really enjoyed your takes on the JETS, both positive and negative. The crisp writing style makes it a bit regrettable the article has to end at some point. Keep up the good work.

46. By ajn37 on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Edwards must sit this game out. I don’t care whose name is on the back of the jersey, they must sit. The Jets have an opportunity to tell America this behavior is not tolerated. This is no longer just about Edwards, the NY Jets, or the NFL for that matter. This is about life itself. Allowing him to play, but not start, places winning above everything. I don’t want to win that way. The new mantra is Play Like a Jet…how about Acting Like a Jet too. Like Curtis Martin, Wayne Chrebet, Chad Pennington, etc. I do appreciate Braylon owning up to his mistake and willing to accept his fate (playing or not) without appealing. I’ll root harder for you Braylon, after the Miami game.

Sanchez, who I was all over after the Raven’s game, humbled me last week. I felt he was lost, had no confidence, was not an NFL starting QB, etc. I didnt think his teammaes had confidence in him either, regardless of what you read in the papers. I felt our defense had a better chance of scoring than our offence. I don’t know what happened but he looked like a different player against NE. He led them to victory. He looked confident and too control of the offense. I didn’t see any of that last year, even through the playoffs. I still can’t believe that was Sanchez. You played well Mark.

47. By Darleen on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Loved the write up Wayne… thanks for setting people straight! I too vote for your come back and I can pull out my “CHREBET JERSEY !!!!! Go J-E-T-S

48. By Row on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

This just in Danny Woodhead rushes for his first NFL TD! Go DW and the Patriots!This really irks me.

49. By Row on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

No burst for Leon Washington, he only had 2 kickoff returns for TD’s. Urggh!

50. By tommyohio on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

love you Wayne miss you Martin and Vinnie keep us up to speed on the inside track make a come back jordan did it!