• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Replay Jets Open Mic on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Mon., Sep. 08, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Tue., Sep. 09, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Wed., Sep. 10, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

Coleman in the CB Starting Mix with Wilson

Posted by Randy Lange on September 29, 2010 – 5:02 pm

You can kind of tell where Drew Coleman’s coming from by how he treats the big-play football he comes up from time to time.

“I left a lot of plays out on the field Sunday night,” the fifth-year corner said after today’s practice, but he couldn’t deny that he took one very big play away from the Dolphins to preserve the Jets’ lead and win with his last-minute interception. “I kept that ball and actually sent it back home to my dad. That was the third ball I’ve sent back to him in my pro career.”

Pressed on the occasions for his other trophy case pigskins, the softspoken man from Henderson, Texas, swore he didn’t remember what one of the others was for.

“But I actually did keep a ball a few years back against New England for an interception,” he said. “The play was called back, but I kept it because it was against Tom.”

Jets fans will probably remember that pick in Coleman’s rookie season at Foxboro, which he lost due to a borderline roughing-the-passer call on Victor Hobson. But the Jets pulled out that win anyway, and Coleman, in his fourth pro start that season, had seven tackles and also forced a fumble.

The reason for this trip down memory lane with Coleman is that he’s been around the Jets for a while now, and he’s held onto his spot by being good and by being ready to contribute wherever and whenever called on.

Such as he may be called on Sunday at Buffalo. Head coach Rex Ryan said today that he and coordinator Mike Pettine are giving Coleman and first-round rookie Kyle Wilson reps with the first defense this week in the event that Darrelle Revis and his sore hamstring are not ready to return to action vs. the Bills.

“I think Kyle’s struggled a little bit,” said Ryan of Wilson, who’s started the last two games. “This guy quite honestly has been much better than I thought at picking things up. It’s the communication part of the defense, not a physical thing but more of a technical issue. Maybe it’s just tightening things up a little bit more and I think he’s going to be just fine.”

But, Ryan said, “I think Drew’s earned it. We put him in and he stood up. We think as coaches that he deserves a shot.”

Coleman has survived each year because he’s stayed humble and has been ready when that shot is presented to him.

“It’s definitely satisfying getting an opportunity with Darrelle out,” he said. “It’s an opportunity to help this team by going in and giving my best shot. With Rex, you’ve got to be ready. Everybody’s in the rotation. It’s something that we’ve stressed is going to happen during the season. Don’t be not studying, don’t be just messing around. Be ready when your number’s called.”

In other words, the phrase “Next man up” doesn’t just apply to the D-line post-Kris Jenkins. And whether Coleman starts or it’s Wilson again, you should figure that number 30 will be called sometime Sunday at “the Ralph.”

Kellen’s Replacement? Not

It was revealed today that the Jets put in a waiver claim for Trent Edwards, the Buffalo quarterback who suddenly became expendable and was cut. The Jaguars also put in a claim and were awarded Edwards, but the question that some will ask is what if the Jets got Edwards? Would that have been it for Kellen Clemens in green?

Both Ryan and Clemens said trenchantly said that was not the case.

“The obvious thing would be we were going to pick his brain — absolutely that’s true,” Ryan said. “But the other thing is that I think the young man can play, I think he’s a good quarterback. We always look at every opportunity to make our team better.

“Now before I did this, I brought Kellen in and said, ‘Kellen, you OK with this? I won’t even claim him if you’re not OK with this.’ He said, ‘Hey, Rex, I want to win as bad as you do. Absolutely, claim him.’ And that’s what we did.”

Clemens hasn’t always found it easy being in green, but he said later in the locker room he was never worried about what such a move meant for him.

“I knew it was coming,” he said. “He was willing to come to me first and give me the heads-up on the situation. As far as putting a claim in, I don’t care. That move had nothing to do with replacing me.”

Clemens is well aware that that’s what teams do in the NFL, especially teams in the same division as other teams. Using New England purely hypothetically and not because they picked up Danny Woodhead in a similar manner (not through waivers but by signing him after the Jets cut him), KC said:

“If you’re the Patriots and you’re looking at two guys with similar skill sets and one played for Miami and one played for Seattle, which one are you going to like?” he said.

Left unsaid was what the Jets would’ve done with four QBs on the roster again (and a fifth in Kevin O’Connell, who was cut, re-signed and is now on IR). But unstated or not, there was a plan. And Clemens said he’s feeling more like a part of the plan, whoever else is on the QB depth chart.

“I think the relationship between Rex and myself and Mike [Tannenbaum] and myself really continues to get better every day,” he said. “It wasn’t bad, but I feel I’m one of Rex’s guys.”

Injury Watch

Ryan and his training staff aren’t categorizing anyone as out of the Buffalo game but today’s injury report did list Revis (hamstring), LB Calvin Pace (foot), OL Wayne Hunter (shin) and LB Jamaal Westerman (ankle) as not participating in today’s 11-on-11 drills. T Damien Woody (personal) also was a DNP.

The Jets list seven players, the Bills, four, all starters — DE Marcus Stroud (ankle), LB Andra Davis (shoulder) and TE Jonathan Stupar (foot), all DNPs, and LB Paul Posluszny (knee, limited).

Tags: , , , ,

33 Responses to “Coleman in the CB Starting Mix with Wilson”

1. By GaryC on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

this wasn’t brought up by anyone but on that last play where coleman intercepted it looked like Harris or Ellis head butted one of the dolphin offensive lineman at end of play. good thing officials did not see that one and give the dolphins another play to possibly tie game.Hope this discipline issue with this team doesn’t cost them game in future.

2. By gfv25 on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

I am still unclear what happened to QB Eric Ainge. He had a fantastic preseason last year, better than last year’s version of Kellen Clemens, then he is no where to be found at camp this year. I saw him on the did not report roster listing with Darrelle and never saw him cut. Anyone know what his story is?

3. By MrJetGreen on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Randy,

For the record, MrJetGreen did NOT approve the waiving of Danny Woodhead.

MrJetGreen

4. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Rex as a coach your the man far as judging talent leave that to the pros K-Wilson did better then exspected is what you said NOT! ..I Like the Idea of starting Coleman and Pool maybe give Diggs and Coles some reps they can’t do any worst then Cro and Wilson we do have the talent back there just need to use it correctly time to change up the secondary get that straight (PASS RUSHER PLEASEEEEEEEEE) GO JETS

5. By scjoe on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know about D Coleman in the starting lineup. Sure, that was a game saving INT at the end of the Miami game, but don’t you think we should be looking at the grand scheme of things? Coleman is a scrappy little guy, key word being “little” we all saw how that worked out for NE in that game last week. I think he is best suited in the dime package, let Wilson go through the growing pains now! It will pay dividends later on. As for Clemens, somehow I find it hard to believe he would have still been in green and white had we signed Edwards. I think Edwards would have been a great signing, and I’m talking about a #2 NOT a #3 or God forbid, a #4

6. By AA`78 on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

To respond to gfv25, Erik Ainge entered into drug rehab around the beginning of camp. He’s currently on the DNR list because of that.

7. By KenEB on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

I believe Erik Ainge has an alchohol or substance abuse issue. I know I heard or read about this a few months ago.

8. By GoTime on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

gfv25,

I think Ainge failed another drug test. Strike two if I remember correctly. I got to look into that though.

GoTime

9. By dave on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Ainge was waived due to a substance abuse issue.

Coleman gave up most of the yardage in last year’s playoff loss to indy. Him and Lowrey. Let’s hope wilson is a fast learner, or we will lose to collie and garcon again.

10. By 37 year fan on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

gfv25 Eric Ainge is in Rehab , substance abuse . Maybe Randy or Eric can do an update on him ….Great , Great QB hopefully he’s doing well ……Hopefully Calvin Pace is back for The Vikings game .

11. By Seth on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

In response to gfv25, Ainge had a drug problem, far beyond performance enhancing drugs. Very unfortunate for I also think he was coming along and had a bright future.

12. By frank on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

y is cromatie not looking to locate the football in d air to make an interception. he plays scared and falls down alot. CB position requires confedence and focus. he lacks both.

13. By frank on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

eric ainge is in rehab for drugs and i root for woodhead for pro bowl nod.

14. By jets42fan on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

I dont have any idea why this was about drew coleman and you guys are talking about players who never showed up such as ainge and Woodhead in which i agree shouldnt have been cut hopefully hes a jet once again but this was about Coleman. The kids been on the team for a long time now and really never gets spoken of. Ive had the oppurtunity to meet him when he shipped his car threw our company in new jersey and he was extremely cool relaxed and humble as said. Im ecstatic the kids getting a real deal shot at this position and hopefully he can take over kyle wilsons position in which he shouldnt had without question before the season even started. If you have watched his play for the years hes performed and focussed on the big plays he has made opposed to the stupid ones he didnt you would realize this was fourth coming. Congrats to him

15. By IRA on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Randy, Glad you gave some love to Drew. I feel Drew is over looked by many. Yeah that forced fumble in Foxboro was key. I believe a big play was happening after a catch and Drew came from behind and poked the ball out. The pats would’ve scored for sure on that drive.
    More important was the key tackle he made on Brown last week and he kept him in bounds as the clock ticked.
    While i think Kyle will be fine and a very good player in time. Seems like he has too much on his plate right now. I would just stick him in at nickel [which is basically a starter anyway] and let Drew handle Parrish or Johnson.
    Pats caught a break by signing Woodhead and then Faulk goes down.
    I would not play Pace this week. Let him rest 1 more week. No reason to take a chance especially on a wet field this week if the forecast is correct. They can beat the Bills without him.
    GO JETS!!!!

16. By Munstoppable on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Don’t quote me on this but from what I saw a few months back Ainge was out for personal reasons. He went to rehab.

17. By NYJChrisinNC on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

I beleive Ainge went to rehab for recreational drug use.
    As far as Coleman moving up to the starting mix, I kept thinking during Sunday nights game that Coleman and/or Lowery could not do any worse than Wilson. Except for the pass interference penalty he had against Fasano at the 1, evertime his receiver was targeted all you saw was his back. No ball awareness at all.

I hope this isn’t a trend that because they drafted him they are trying to make it work. Sort of like McKnight, who they only seem to keep because they drafted him in the 4th round.

18. By 37 year fan on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Rex ,…. Kyle sure is lookin’ like a ROOKIE out there sometimes …. Turn your head around sometimes ….

19. By 37 year fan on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Vikings next week ,…..Adrian Peterson has the tendency to lose some fumbles with chop blocking …. They have a Bye this week ….I would suggest we get some rest after the Buffalo Game . ….We need our Defense fresh , to pound on Favre and The Vikes ….We are going to have Multiple Picks against Favre ….

20. By Brian on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

@GFV25: Ainge entered drug rehab prior to the season and did not return to the team.

21. By IRA on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

NYChris,
    Wilson coming out of the draft was rated as maybe the best man to man cover guy in the draft. The ability is there. Its just going to take time. maybe the communication probelms that were mentioned after the Fish game is due to the lack of experience Wilson has. Lowery has to step up his game too.
    Dave,
    Lets hope if we get that rematch with the Colts Revis would’ve been back for the last 8 games or so. I really don’t expect him back until after the bye. He has to be 100% or he will be in and out of the lineup all season.
    Question here is if the Steelers beat the Ravens and get to 4-0 would you start Big Ben in game 5 or continue with the hot hand and chemistry of Batch?

22. By russ on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Kyle is not studying film, his pass coverage is that of a chicken with head cut off dont see him as a type to last more than a year

23. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

We wouldn’t even be talking about most of this if Revis had just shown up and gotten himself in shape to play this year.

24. By Bleed Green on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

hey Randy, do you think Coleman has the ability to become a starting CB? Wilson hasn’t been looking for the ball what so ever and I watch Coleman and see him do much better in the open field. I trust Coleman to make play’s as a starter. I think Wilson should sit on the bench until he can make a play.

25. By JETS fan in NE on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

@ 37 year fan
    Glad somebody else saw what I was seeing. Wilson only seems to know how to run after receivers after they pass him. Has he even been close to a pick this season? I haven’t seen any!

26. By Pranit on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

good move…Kyle wilson is struggling big time….hopefully he’ll get better…

27. By TooKool on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

I would not start Kyle on our local high school team. He has been awful. Not sure why Rex is hanging with him. Constantly being beaten, and does not possess catch up speed. Drew has to be better, undersized or not.

28. By tampajet on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

from what i am seeing he is getting beat on int calls back shoulder throws and jump balls he is not getting burned deep and not blowing coverages.i think in time he will be good,this season.but i would like to see how coleman fairs starting.

29. By Jared on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Some of you are ridiculous. Take it easy on Wilson, hes a rookie going into his 4th pro game. Has he made mistakes? Absolutely….but thats what rookies do. Baptism by fire, let him adjust to the pro game which we all know is far more advanced than the college game. Over time hell adjust and be solid. The coaches believe that and im pretty sure they know much more than all of us. Do you know any other rookie CB’s lighting the world on fire right now? So quick to right him off when he was forced into a difficult spot with Revis’s injury. The kid will learn and get better, these things dont happen over night. I like that Coleman is getting a shot, he deserves it but Wilson has shown flashes of being a solid corner, just give him time to perfect his craft, well be fine. Im sure none of you were all stars at your job right away.

30. By TONY GARCIA on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

wilson was not gioing to be a starter circumstances have changed the plan. as for revis rest until he is100%. we need to play more zone until secomdary plays better.also more preasure on QB. would not hurt. to bad for ainge thought he was going to be our no.2 hopefully he can clean his act up. we also need to control the clock more. teams our throwing on us at will. go jets
    fan since 1968.

31. By 37 year fan on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

While I was working hard this afternoon , ..The Jets front Office was working hard too …..We Just signed TREVOR PRYCE …TERRIFYING . …Tom Brady is really gonna hate this !!!

32. By jetsfannmo on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Kyle Wilson will be just fine. Hes a rookie from boise st. The nfl is a whole new level for him, he will get there remember he is being thrown into the best defense in football. As far as the buffalo game, as long as we contain spiller on spec teams and dont let fitzpatrick get any lucky scrambles WE WILL WIN THIS GAME! We should be able to run on them all day, hopefully Sanchez plays with a chip on his shoulder due to last years 6 INT, anyway IM A LONGTIME DIEHARD JETS FAN and this is my 1st post!

33. By Christopher on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

I think the critism toward Wilson stems from Revis, he came in and started as a rookie and was failrly effective, so now every rookie must do the same. Leon Washington was another rookie that came in and made an impact right away, so everynoe jumps on McKnight. Although I find it hard to believe that McKnight cannot even make the active roster and contribute on special teams.

Considering McKnight has cost us Woodhead and C. Washington (and Leon Washington) I really hope he is worth it, one thing is for sure, all of those guys could have contributed this year, right now it doesn’t look like McKinght will see the active roster this year, pretty sad for a 4th round pick.

As far as Coleman, he’ll do fine, but he will need safety help (which in my opinion hasn’t been that great aside from a few plays Pool has made).