• Tue., Oct. 21, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the meda following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets Coordinators Thomas McGaughey, Marty Mornhinweg, Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

CHREBET: Jumping out of the Gate

Posted by Wayne Chrebet on October 7, 2010 – 8:51 am

Was there any doubt after the offensive’s first drive at Buffalo? Sanchez led them right down the field like he did in Miami last week. And just like in Miami, the crowd got quiet, The Bills fans with their faces painted barely got a chance to sit down and it was the beginning of the end. It was a heavy dose of LT (still great) and some precise passing by Mark.

While they were the shining stars, the offensive linemen were the unsung heroes. All day they were. When both your running backs rush for over 100 yards and your QB barely gets touched, that means that they played their butts off. And most importantly, no turnovers, you’re going to win a lot of ballgames.

I haven’t mentioned it yet in previous blogs, but Sanchez’s game has really matured a lot since last year. Think about it. He’s thrown 8 TDs vs. 0 interceptions. He’s only been sacked 5 times. I knew that he was playing very well but when I Googled his stats I got to wondering who has been as efficient as he has been the past 3 games.

The first game he looked like he was checking the ball down too soon to his safety valve. That could’ve been the gameplan. Who knows? Now, he’s reading the whole field, staying in the pocket longer. Some quarterbacks, especially young ones, get happy feet back there and take off before they need to. And I don’t know if you noticed it, but he has really gotten good at play action passing. He hides the ball very well.

OK. I don’t know if he’s the second coming, but for what it’s worth I’m really impressed by him.

Here’s the other side of the coin. Guess who’s coming to town? None other than Brett Favre. I have so much to say about him that I don’t know where to start. Now I’m friendly with him. I played in his charity golf outing in Mississippi a couple of times and with him in a flag football game in Florida. I like him a lot and certainly respect his play. You’d be crazy to not think he is one of the best to play the game.

It doesn’t matter what I think of him. What matters is how his former teammates do. That will tell you what kind of man and player that they think he is. From what I heard, he wasn’t the most liked in the locker room. I think it’s kind of the way it was with Vinny. He was an older guy, old enough to be my Dad. He has played in more games and experienced far more than any other player in the locker room. His taste in music is different and he probably didn’t understand the lingo that we used.

But Vinny was right in the middle of it. Laughing, probably more at us than with us. Ask anybody who ever played with Vinny and it would be unanimous that everyone thought that he was a great guy. Now with Brett being in the same situation, I was told that he pretty much segregated himself from the team. So it seems like he left a bad taste in some of the players’ mouths. Well, for those players on the defensive side of the ball, it’s their chance to let him know how they feel.

If you’ve ever gotten a chance to go to training camp and watched the team practice, you’ll know that the QBs wear red jerseys. Yellow jerseys mean take it easy. Seems prissy, but I wore it sometimes to keep from getting my head beat in. I saved my best concussions for the field. Not funny but who cares at this point? Anyway. The QBs wear RED. Which means DO NOT TOUCH!!! Occasionally it happens by accident. And man, if it’s a young guy who does it, they’re going to hear about it.

Point of the story — Monday night, Brett’s wearing purple. He might as well be wearing green because these guys are going to be coming at him full speed with every thing they’ve got. And he knows what he’s up against. He knows the defense and the defense knows him. The Jets know how he plays the game. Heck, they know his cadence. His way to draw the defense offsides.

And most importantly, they know that if they pressure him there’s a chance that he might throw some picks. He always tries to get a pass off. Off balance, going down, over the shoulder, shuffle pass. Jets fans witnessed that. I don’t know how his shoulder is healed but he is dead accurate when he’s on. But you make him throw the ball 25-30 times, you might get one.

Now there’s only two ways to get him to attempt so many passes and that is to either be ahead later in the game or if you stop Adrian Peterson. Easier said than done.

If you’ve never had a chance to watch Adrian play, you’re in for a treat. This will be the toughest test that the defense will have all year. Seriously, this guy is an animal. He is a straight north-south runner. He’s got great moves but he hits the hole hard. And he only needs a crease. He’s run for 87, 145 and 180 yards. He went for 80 yards last week. Straight up the gut, a nasty stiff-arm on the safety and he was gone. Just like that. I don’t think one guy can tackle him straight up. The Jets need to put as many helmets on him as they can when he gets the ball. I know I’m really pumping him up, but he is that good.

The receivers make a lot of plays for them. Hopefully Revis is back. Since that first game, Cromartie has really stepped up his game. Ask Lee Evans.

Last topic. The bye week. The Vikings are coming off their bye week. Really early in the season for a bye, but after a 1-2 start they might have needed it. Some teams come off the bye better and some not. The bye week is great. You get some time off. Time with your family, some light practices. You come back with a fresh outlook, a fresh attitude. But sometimes it’s hard to get back in sync when the next game first starts.

The Jets have jumped out of the gate in these last games. And they need to continue this this week. Get the crowd into it. Important, most important, stop them on third down. Put them in a third-and-long. I compare third down to two strikes in a baseball game. There’s two strikes, the crowd comes alive and they go nuts when they call that third strike.

Same in football. Third down. The crowd gets louder. You stop them, thunderous applause. They get the first down, the crowd sits down.

This is what happened in the Ravens game. The fans got quiet more than getting loud. Last week the Bills were blanked on third down. The defense repeats that performance and the O plays how it has … Say Goodnight … 4-1.

Tags: , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 41 Comments »

41 Responses to “CHREBET: Jumping out of the Gate”

1. By jetta on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

im confused just at the end…are you predicting we are going to be 4-1 ?or you are saying goodnight it will not happen?i have a great feeling about this game just as i did for all the others and we did great.i cant wait for Monday night it should be interesting.great article though…GO JETS!!!

2. By Sam Weiss on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,

You were the best. Thanks for everything you gave us…

3. By billy lamachine hayes on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

great job AGAIN wayne!!! you hit every point on the head. im gllad you gave the O line the credit they deserve.its a THANKLESS job.when they do a great job,the quarterback gets the credit,when they do a bad job,they will hear about it. favre is gonna wish he had that kind of protection come monday night!he should be announcing his retirement tuesday morning!!! J-E-T-S!!!! speaking on concussions,the jets have 2 numbers missing from their ring of honor. 80 chrebet 80 and 40 tillman 40 when i hear the word honor in the NFL, you and tillman come to mind.if the jets ever get a RING OF LOYALY or a RING OF COURAGE-80 CHREBET Should be in both of them also. in my 40 years as a jet fan and NFL fan, i never seen someone with guts like you. you made your bones going over the middle.every year,year in, year out, you were ALWAYS going over the middle.your a special person! both on and off the field.you bleed green and the JETS missed the boat by not HONORING you in 1st ring of HONOR. as for PAT TILLMAN, that man made the ultimate sacrafice for his country!!! the NFL should retire number 40 from every NFL team. THAT WOULD THE ULTIMATE HONOR!! YOU DA MAN WAYNE!!! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!!!!

4. By Wayne S on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Once again, great post Wayne. Great insite and very descriptive. Did you ever think of writing a book? I would defintely buy it. My opinion on Favre today is not what it used to be years ago, Yes he’s older but he doesn’t seem to have the same passion he used to. I thought he should of hung it up several years ago, even before he came to the Jets. Seems he doesn’t want to let go of the glory days and go out gracefully. It would be a shame to see him have a miserable year after the one he put together last year although I wouldn’t mind him getting sacked a few times and throwing several picks this week! I’m afraid he is going to have an aweful year and his legacy will be slightly tarnished. Having said that, he’s still a first ballot hall of famer but in my opinion, its time to move on Brett.

5. By Tyler on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, I wear your Jersey every Sunday and I love your strong commitment with the Jets. Hope all has been well.

LETS GO JETS!

6. By RIc on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Great perspective from a great reciever…. still wearing my #80 with pride…

7. By Charles Scheck on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,
    Not that I need to tell you, but you are one of the most revered Jets to have ever played. Not to mention as to having arguably some of the best hands ever! I watched 99% of your games and can never thank you enough for how much you sacrificed your body for your team and fans.

8. By OldRogue on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

“..are you predicting we are going to be 4-1 ?or you are saying goodnight it will not happen?”

Seriously? The Vikings are 1-2, so a win Monday would put them at 2-2, thus Wayne couldn’t be talking about them. And this IS Wayne Chrebet speaking. Did you really think he might be predicting a Vikings win?

9. By Dan O. on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Hey Wayne,

First off, great points. I think the key to this game is controlling Adrian Petersen. If we can limit his productivity, the DBs should be able to handle Moss, Harvin, and co.

Second, really glad to hear you’re healthy and not having any problems from the concussions. I come from a family of long-time Jets fans and you were one of our all-time favorites. So much so that when you decided to hang ‘em up our first thought was “good decision.” We just didn’t want to see you get hurt anymore, even though we loved watching you play. Just too many horror stories from ex-players, you know? We didn’t want to see that happen to you.

Anyway, great article. Looking forward to the next installment!

10. By mike echevarria on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Wayne great article. And thanks for everything, you should be in the ring of honor, no doubt!!

11. By wayne on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

What is it with Revis with all this YAPPING!? Shut up, play the game. You got burned last time you played Moss. Give your teammate some credit for shutting him down……I know everybody is already chalking up a W, but Jets have not faced RB like Peterson in a long time…..If he busts out this will not be a W. Especially with a charged up Moss……Obviously Moss and T.O. have gotten under Revis’ skin and he’s not handling well….Shut up and play the game!

12. By TEJ on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,
    I agree with the maturity of Sanchez; but let’s not forget the resurgence of LT. This guy has changed the whole dynamics of the offense. I know it’s not much to go on but as the BILLS. Also, if the Jets can control the ball on the ground we’ll be able to wear out those big tackles. Also, Santonio Holmes is back. I am really not that concerned with Randy Moss. I would be if Sidney Rice was playing. Can’t wait for Monday night!!!!!!

13. By jetta on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

OK so yes i know it is Wayne writing this and no i didn’t think he would be predicting a win for the vikes but i had to ask cause that’s what it kind of sounded like.i am however a huge chrebet fan and always will be…..GO JETS!!!

14. By scjoe on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Interesting point by Wayne about starting fast as we did in both the Miami and the Buffalo game, which leads me to this question… Why do the Jets, when they win the coin toss always defer and choose to play the D rather then the O to open a game. In doing that (especially at home) you run the risk of what happened to Buffalo, and even Miami for that matter in the past two games. I know it is a “Rex” thing, but just look at recent history. The way the offense is playing now I think you put them on the field as early and as often as possible. Matter of fact I believe that just may happen sooner rather then later.

15. By Ivan on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Great perspective, Wayne. I too, wear your jersey every Sunday. You’re the reason I became a Jet fan. Thanks for all the great years you gave us!

16. By Kenny P on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

No confusion here Wayne…4 and 1 it will be. Keep Farve on his rear end and that’s the end of the story. and…You’re right, Peterson is a beast but so are our linebackers. As far as a motivated Moss returning, I hear the Jets also have a new player making his debut….some guy named Santonio Holmes. Jets 31 Vikes 17

17. By Troy on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Its time to put a complete game together against someone that s not named Buffalo,If we have what it takes to win a superbowl this is one of those games to show it.Other than the Buff.game we havent been strong in all 3 phases for full 60 min. Balt.game was just bad,N.E. it was a 2nd half performance,Miami the Offense and Sp.tms shined while the D struggled.We cant let there record fool us ,this team should of been playing in the S.B. last year and really outplayed the Saints in N.O. opening night,really should of blew out the Fins much less just win ,beat a very competitive Lions team.Peterson will be the best back we face this year and the coming off a bye week where there O-Line has been getting ridiculed I would expect them to be at thier best ,Oh and lets not forget the shot the arm there getting from the Moss acquistion,This could very well be one if not of the toughest games of the year for us.I think we need to jump on them early like at Miami ,Buff. and turn them into a play from behind have to throw on 1st and 2nd offense,if its close late they a number of guys that can win the game for them.Hit Favre often and hard and he’ll give us a few INTS in return …Hopefully Revis can go ….

18. By Sean on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Wayne , great article … Do you remember when the whole Keyshawn thing was going on with the Jets and he made a comment about you being a flashlight ? I had the best promotional idea for the year after that he was let go or traded or whatever happened. I sent the idea into the Jets office , They should of had a Wayne Chrebet Flashlight give away night , how great would that of been . Keyshawn comes back to NY and you have your own night it would of been perfect.

19. By Q on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

adrian is a great rusher but i believe we have the D to contain him for under 85yds total..gang-green football

20. By wvJETSfan on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

great Job Wayne,
    one thing you forgot to mention is Favre’s only lost like 2 games after a bye week he has been sick he’s also only thrown 2 ints in those games and he has had a lot of bye weeks. I hope we get 10 sacks on him monday (HAHA) i can’t wait i think its going to be a great test for the team on all 3 sides of the football. should be a great game! go JETS!!!!!!! Men on a Mission.

21. By davetharave on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

I’ve said it before . . I’ll say it again. Wayne Chrebet will be in the Ring of Honor someday, and as far as I’m concerned it should be now. Wayne, you made all the really tough plays, going over the middle for that first down catch and getting it every time. You were one of the most dependable receivers I’ll ever see and yet you were always humble and did your job quietly. Today’s players could learn a lot watching how you played.

I’ve been telling everyone that Cromartie is a much better matchup on Moss than Revis, because he matches him size for size. Cromartie has shown he has a problem staying with a smaller guy, so he should always match up with an opponents’ taller bigger guy, even if he is their #1 receiver. It’s just a better use of resources. Revis can then shut down the #2 guy. Do you agree ? I hope the Jet coaches agree. Go JETS !!

22. By davetharave on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Keyshawn had a name for everyone, he called O’Donnell the ‘stiff puppet’ but his treatment of Wayne was shameful when both were Jets. He was jealous of Wayne because he knew Wayne was tougher and a better receiver then he would ever be.

23. By Gmany3k on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Wayne its nice you do this once a week giving us great perspective as a player and a Fan and knowing its hard to do this just once a week but maybe you could recruit say Curtis Martin and a few other guys so we can have more enjoyment everyday. I think our confidence is soaring and rightfully so and with the example that you gave about how well we know Brett is going to be a big factor that Brett will have to be concerned about . If Revis’s Hamstring is 100% it could get ugly.

24. By ddh on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

maybe someone can confirm this, but it seems when the jets score first they tend to win the game(just a thought). good post wayne I look forward to your weekly input. you know, with some key players returning on both sides of the ball, and the level at which mark is playing, as well as players stepping up, I really dont worry about match ups as much as in the past. there’s a balance forming a self leveling balance, bend but dont break, and a definite increase of confidence, swagger, a more mature less erratic performance on the field, seems play calling has gone from reaction to purposeful action, perhaps doing the little things right does lead to better things. the run game while maybe not showing in yards, has improved vastly in versatility, I think now the potential threat of this O alone, is enough to spread out a D. no I dont worry about who their playing or where, or which jet team is gonna show up, Im just comfortably, comfortable..

25. By oakesbar on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

I wonder if # 80 really reads these replies
    if so I would like to hear what he thinks of Danny Woodhead.
    it’s unfortunate that we lost him
    especially to the Pats,
    Danny always reminds me of Wayne
    small guy, small school, huge player
    i know the jets are pretty set at running back, receiver & returner
    and Danny could be all of those
    the guy is special, I wish there was a way to have kept him.
    but thats water under the bridge at this point
    GO JETS !!

26. By rrod43067 on Oct 7, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, along with Curtis Martin were the heart & soul of the Jets. It was a great pleasure watching the both of you leave it all on the field. I’m always for an underdog, but you was my favorite. Thanks for the memories.

27. By 37 year fan on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

10th Anniversary of The Monday Night Miracle ….That night was like Yesterday….. Thanks for the memories … and we will crush The Vikings on Monday night . As long as we stop Peterson for most of the night .

28. By Lance J on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Wayne

it was a pleasure watching you play for the Jets and it is now a pleasure reading your weekly column. Great perspective from someone who has been in the trenches.

Peterson is the key to winning this game. Keep him below 75 yards and we protect the football will win going away.

Favre and Moss will not be able to do anything against our defense. If Brett needs to throw 40 times – it will be a W.

29. By Conroy D on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,

You were the first Jets jersey I ever got when i was in like fifth grade. Ever since then, i was a jets fan and enjoyed watching you play and make that difficult third down catch to move the sticks. You were one of the best third down converts on the team and in the NFL.

Now for this game, i see it going the Jets way because of being home, and having top ranked D. With Revis coming back, and Cromarttie on the otherside, blittzing Brett will be much more effective than having the young Wilson left alone man to man. So as long as the Jets offense is just as productive and it should be with Holmes coming back, and the D being tough with Revis and Pace back on board, it should be a good game for the Jets.

Also, how good of Deffenses has the Vikings played? The LIons?Saints?Dolphins? Really, none of those teams have a great run deffense, especially the LIons were Adrian broke off huge runs. So let them think they can come and run all over the Jets, but I see Adrian having 20 rushes for 70 yards or less at the end of the game, and Moss with three receptions for 60 yards. The only one with yards will be the Vikings TE.

Jets win this game 35-14

30. By Greenbaydam on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, I too played in the Favre charity tournament…I won longest drive, beat you by about 10 yards.

31. By Rob in NH on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Hey Wayne,
    Hope all is well with you. Still miss you out on the field and I am still wearing your jersey. Moved to NH (Patriot Country) about 4 years ago and am always proud to tell em all I’m a JETS fan, especially right after the JETS kick some Patriot butt. That makes my trips to the kids bus stop much more fun the next morning. Loved the article, wish Brett had a better season when he was hear, nothing but respect for the man. I look forward to every game but am really waiting for the Dec.6 Monday night game against the Pats again.

32. By Jeff on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

You know I still think the part about concussions was a little to soon. But your right, We’ll be coming at Farve, with everything.

4-1!

I still wear your jersey on gamedays.

#80 for HOF

33. By Greenbaydan on Oct 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, are you playing Testaverdes’ tournament in Elmontt? Scrappy and I would love to enter. Maybe a foursome? Who can we come up with?

34. By Joe W. on Oct 10, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, i grew up watching you and curtis martin playing football. I can honestly say you are and always have been my favorite player in the NFL, I still have my jersey hanging up to remember the good times with some of the more respectful, and more loyal Jets

35. By Shout out from China on Oct 10, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, you made some good points. Most of all, you’re right about starting out hot. If we catch them flatfooted, they’ll never get back in it. Jets 28-10. Go Jets!

36. By pizanne667 on Oct 10, 2010 | Reply

#80 for HOF i agree and have been blasting this in all yahoo blogs….stats tell the tale….most underrated slot receiver ever

37. By Sully on Oct 10, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,

You are the gutsiest player in the history of the JETS. You ABSOLUTELY will be in the Ring of Honor, the JETS messed up by not honoring you already. As Sam Weiss previously posted – Thank you for everything you gave us Jets fans – YOU ARE THE MAN – no question.

P.S. Good post – you are correct on every point.

38. By kesh on Oct 10, 2010 | Reply

Wayne , you were the best ! i wish we had kept Danny Woodhead – he could have become another Chrebet.
    wish you the best

39. By VT on Oct 10, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, Big props to you for mentioning Vinny.

Gone(Retired) but not forgotten. He was a TRUE NY JET when he played QB.

40. By Walt on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Great insight to this team from you Wayne- Still wear number 80 myself- I’m sure you’d want to play for Ryan and this team- Your toughness and work ethic seems to be part of his philosophy. As a fan from the Namath days I appreciate what you did in you career- hope you’re feeling well these days- keep up the great column!

41. By CLO on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

Jets played a good game, but it got close for a minute. A win is a win and now we are 4-1. This is awsome. LT again made a difference. We got some tough teams to play again. Hope we can over come and go all the WAY. We should not get to cocky or celebrate to soon and play hard, and smart til the clock hits 00:00 at the 4th quarter.