• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show co-hosted by Jeane Coakley and Brian Custer with analysts Ray Lucas and Erik Coleman, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EST Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 3:30 PM EST Live Coordinators Press Conference Jets Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey, Offensive Coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and Defensive Coordinator Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 15, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 22, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

CHREBET: Monday Night Lightning Strikes

Posted by Wayne Chrebet on October 14, 2010 – 10:25 am

Here is Wayne Chrebet’s sixth blog of the season for newyorkjets.com:

Everybody has asked me what I thought about the game Monday night. I wasn’t sure what to say. It was a weird night to begin with. Torrential rain, thunder and lightning that lit up the sky. For me it started with sitting on the road behind the IZOD center with my truck in park for an hour trying to get to my parking section. Hungry as can be. Even though they weren’t with me, my boys came up big. They left a pack of Mentos in my glove compartment. I was ten seconds from walking in the rain to a random tailgate party to grab a sausage and peppers sandwich. And thanks to the delay, after two hours getting from one side of the parking lot to the other, we got in. I feel for anybody who was sitting in that mess, too. To the game.

The crowd was definitely into it. Vikings’ first series started with two false-start penalties. No doubt because of the noise and the Jets defensive players moving all around. I watched a lot of film over the course of my career and I like to think that I know defenses pretty well. But when I watch our defense, I have got to tell you, I have no clue sometimes who’s blitzing and who’s dropping into coverage. They’re really good at disguising it. Gives opposing QBs fits. Even a veteran like Favre. For most of the night they got some form of pressure on him. The problem late in the game was that there were holes that Peterson was getting through that he wasn’t in the first half. You could only hope to contain him all game. A very tall task for even a good defense like ours.

Little bit of information: Adrian averages a whole yard better in the fourth quarter than the first three. He gets stronger as the game goes on. And when he gets going, the passing game gets better. They have three good receivers and an above-average tight end. As good as the defense played in the first half, I think almost everyone in the stadium knew that their offense would get going at some point. All it took was one big play and, just like that, they were back in the game. From total domination to a 12-7 game.

You cannot win a game kicking field goals. When you beat a team up like the Jets did, you have to bury them. The offense made some very good plays but couldn’t get in the end zone in the first half. LT was the spark once again. Love the first play to Braylon. Great play action. Well-drawn-up play.

Braylon looks very comfortable out there. It was good to see Santonio out there. He made a heck of a catch on a slant for a first down in the first half and really stretched the defense on some plays. He and Braylon both did. It would be great if they completed one of them, but it served a purpose, showed they’ll go deep. That opens all the intermediate routes. Denver’s DBs are watching film right now knowing that our offense is not as predictable as it had been in some earlier games in the season.

One thing they can count on is a heavy dose of LT and Greene. I am very happy to see Shonn make such a big play in a crucial part of the game. It’s easy to look around in the huddle and see who wants to make the play. It’s another to raise your hand and say “I got it.” He has stepped into the backup role and hasn’t made a fuss. Not an easy thing to do. They have a great 1-2 punch.

How about the drive for the Vikings that sealed their fate? Rex has so much confidence in the defense that he brought everybody. They were in Cover-1, man-to-man across the board. That’s a ridiculous amount of pressure for the DBs . There is no second line of defense. So we blitzed, Favre felt the pressure and he did it — that pick that everybody was waiting for.

In his defense, Lowery made a heck of a play. It wasn’t the worst throw, just a little late. Lowery read the route and jumped it. He had faith that the blitzers would get there fast enough and that the receiver couldn’t do a double move. Thing of beauty. Team effort, but superb individual effort by Dwight. Again, late in the game, someone steps up. Great thing about it is that I believe anybody at any position on the team is capable of being the guy that makes that play. Go through the roster, who’s going to make it? Good problem to have.

Whatever answer I gave to people who asked me about the game, they all ended with “It doesn’t matter, they’re 4-1.” They could’ve really sent a message to the league if they put them away. So they didn’t. Big deal. They’re not all going to be easy wins like Buffalo. Teams aren’t going to lay down for us. But anybody who has seen every Jet game this year knows that this team is getting stronger every week. Very scary. On to Denver.

Denver is 2-3. You only need to know two things about them. Kyle Orton has thrown for 295, 307, 476, 341 and 314 yards in the first five games of the year. They are the first team to have three players with 29-plus catches and 300-plus yards through the first five games of a season. Receivers Gaffney, Lloyd and Royal are not household names but capable receivers. So they’re going to throw and throw some more.

Other thing is the running game. Last week in a game in which their head coach said that they were “out-toughed,” the Broncos ran for just 39 yards and the Ravens ran for 233 yards. Running the ball is our bread and butter and we’re certainly as tough as Baltimore if not tougher. Pounding the ball down the field should not only generate some points but also keep Orton off the field. Unlike last week, if the Jets can throw some early TDs in there with those field goals they have a great chance of coming home 5-1. They need to jump out of the gate again. But whether the ,Jets are up or not, Denver will be out there throwing the ball all over the place. You can count on that.

To end I just wanted to thank the fans that were at the game Monday night. For those of you who weren’t there, at halftime they honored the 2000 team for the Monday Night Miracle’s 10-year anniversary. Ten years went by fast. About 20 of us came back for it. Some local guys and some from across the country. Some of the players you know about and some you might not remember as well.

Even though it was coming down in sheets, lots of the fans stayed in their seats to applaud. And although a lot of people went for cover, we heard you as well. I think I speak for the group when I say you really made us feel special. For some of us, that’s the best memory that we have. There were guys there that only played a year or two and that’s something that they hold onto. They might not have had as decorated a career as some of us but they can always say that they played in the best Monday night game ever.

And we are truly thankful that you remember what we did that Monday night and we were really happy we could share that with you. J-E-T-S JETS, JETS, JETS.

Tags: , , , , , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 33 Comments »

33 Responses to “CHREBET: Monday Night Lightning Strikes”

1. By IRA on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, A very well deserved honor Monday Night for you and some of your teamates from that game.
    Agree they got away with one Monday. You can’t settle for FG’s esecially after Revis FR and Mizzou’s KO return. Even the possession before the half should’ve been a TD. If they play like that in Denver they will lose.
    And i think you must remember 95 i believe it was Colts game when lightning hit the top of the Meadowlands and delayed the game.
    This week is real simple. Run the ball down their throats and keep Orton off the field.

2. By George on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Excellent blog again Wayne. I think i speak for all Jets fans when i say we appreciate everything you did on the field and everything you now do off the field for OUR team! For all the fans reading this that werent at the game, as the players from that Monday night game were introduced, Wayne deservedly got the loudest ovation by far. We love you Wayne!

3. By Andy on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Yet another great read Wayne. I look forward to your blog each week almost as much as I look forward to Jets games. Vinnie, Curtis, and yourself made me a lifelong Jets fan back in the 90’s. I love your insight and analysis, looking back as well as ahead. I coundn’t help but worry when Brett got the ball in hand at 22-20, needing only to get in FG range. Next thing you know, Dwight comes up with a huge play, game over. Going to play in Denver won’t be easy, but this D is the truth. Here’s hoping Gang Green makes a statement on the road and come home for a bye week at 5 &1.

4. By VA Anzalone on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, love you man and your blog. I have worn your jersey for every Jets game for at least the last five years. It also has not been washed in that period. You were a great player and its cool that you are now doing this blog.

5. By BeenWaiting42Years on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Wayne as a fan for 42 years I look forward to your perspective every week. As a season ticket holder, I am glad someone of prominence finally made a comment about the brutal egress both into and out of the new stadium that us loyal fans are facing. After spending more than a billion dollars and adding an improved rail option, one would think that the process of getting in, and getting out, would be drastically improved. Anyone who has been to a game this season knows that it has gotten much worse… While we can’t live without our JETS, I hope JETS Sr. Management, Stadium Management and State and Local officials take note, because two hours to get into the facility and two hours to get out, is something we can all live without!

6. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

As great a player as you were, Wayne, I think you may be just as good a football writer! Really great, honest, insightful stuff.

7. By Wayne S on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Wasn’t at the game but I was there in spirit. Watched every second at home in Florida. Gotta say, was a little nervouse at the end when Favre started to move his team up and down the field. I had visions of them kicking a field goal to beat us.

Thank god he lived up to his reputation of throwing a key interception just when we needed it. Yes, he is the utltimate gun slinger. I wonder if he isn’t tarnishing his reputation by sticking around too long.

8. By Colleen_Island on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!

9. By Ryan on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Guy,
    you should have crashed the tailgate…you would have made someone’s year.

Great writeup again.

10. By billy lamachine hayes on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

GREAT STUFF WAYNE!!! i too was stuck in that traffic nightmare and was staving also. i wish i found mentos or raided someone’s tailgate for sausage and pepper.instead i opted for whatever i could find under the seat.i found a burger from a famous fast food place and ate that.problem was, i dont remember last time i was at that burger joint.i just made believe the traffic was the line at the drive thru and the burger was fresh.it made it go down a little easier. so many times we have seen the jets lose games like this one. let teams hang around and then 4th quarter disaster.NOT ON THIS NIGHT!NOT THESE JETS!thanks for the memories wayne.wow 10 years went fast.YOU DA MAN WAYNE!!!!THANK YOU BROTHER!!!!

11. By BLEEDGRN&WHITE70 on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

GREAT GAME NOW THAT WE HAVE SANTONIO BACK THE O WILL GET ON TRACK. TEAM IS STARTING TO GEL WATCH OUT NOW.

12. By Lance J on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Wayne
    Another great column. It is great to hear your insight on a weekly basis.
    I remember the Monday Night Miracle like it was yesterday. Like you said – cant beleive that was 10 years ago. I was one of the lucky fans to be at that game and also stayed to witness the miracle. Unbeleivable is all I can say. Game ended at 1:30 in the morning.
    Denver – usually a dangerous place to visit based on their prior dominance and Home Field Advantage. But this Broncos team is not scaring anyone. We are #1 in running the football and Denver is dead last in the NFL in running the football which is why orton’s #’s are so high. As the Ravens did – I see us winning the game in similar fashion – 31 to 17 with both Greene and LT running for 125.

13. By dihard3 on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, saw you many times @ Shea, respect your opinion, I know you said that you weren’t sure watching the D what they were doing ,, on purpose Yes? trying to dazzle the offence with the fancy footwork …. do you think we can go? Been waiing for sooooo long. Bro was @ Namath camp myself many years@ Shea….. end of December to the very last minute of the game”””” snow sleet no matter how far we were down, never left …… on the field at the last game against NE…bringing home turf ..can we go this this year??? your word means alot say it to the football gods !!!! J E T S Hoorah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. By charles manos on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,
    I agree, it looks like we ae getting stronger everygame. I am waiting for sanchez to throw a pick just to get it out of his sytem. Just hope it happens when the game is out of reach. it was players like yourself that kept me in my seat for the whole game that monday night 10 years ago. As always there were many miami fans in the satnds crowing early, but you know what they say about those who laugh last. look forward to the next blog…georges dad.

15. By Daniel on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Wayne-i was at the game. I especially enjoyed the 1/2 time speech that Vinny gave. That to me was the best game i’ve ever watched. I remember thinking while we were getting slaughtered, damn-“why do i always keep watching these guys?!!!” After watching that game-i knew the answer. That year, although we didn’t make playoffs, was special because of all the come backs ya’ll made-Against the Pats-teh Packers and the Bucs {you really showed Keyshawn-Hells yeah!}
    Anyways-thanks for the memories.
    Go Jets!

16. By Row on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Nice points guys, but the pass defense is more then suspect. Orton has grown to be one of the best pure passers in the league right now. I definitely think we can run on them, but stopping the big play is going to be huge. Eddie Royal is the man that worries me.
    The safety play is going to be exploited. I will not mention the safety we let go that is playing like a defensive POY because I want this to be posted, but the problem needs fixed.
    Lowery came up big in the clutch. Props.
    I think we can win if we control the clock with LT and SG. Turnovers are going to be huge.
    Go Jets!

17. By Gmany3k on Oct 15, 2010 | Reply

Do you yourself a favor and leave a note bring food and umbrella one day you may work in the Booth you know the drill a walk on.

18. By J.Z. on Oct 15, 2010 | Reply

wanyne chrebet one of the truely great jets!

19. By Dave on Oct 15, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, lol, it’s ok to say “we” when referring to todays team, you are a jet, of course….funny how in your writing you avoid saying “we”, but later use “us”…..you, us, we are all in this together, right boys?

20. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 15, 2010 | Reply

Row, what’s this obsession with talking up guys we got rid of? What, you can’t make any kinda case for TJ anymore and Slauson’s playing great so you start making up stuff about Rhodes? He’s playing okay, making what looks like a lot of tackles because the last few years for us he barely made any. He has one interception — a guy who had, what, six for us in his rookie year? — and returned a fumble for a TD. I don’t hear you saying Cromartie, who’s done better with much tougher assignments, is a POY candidate. Besides, you’re gonna make a few tackles at safety when…YOUR TEAM HAS GIVEN UP THE MOST POINTS IN THE LEAGUE!

21. By davetharave on Oct 15, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, good writing and great insights ! I too am enjoying your weekly column. Those people would have said ‘ OMG it’s Wayne Chrebet, get him a plate and a beer right away !!’ Key to beating Denver is keep Orton and Co. off the field. Simple. Run Run Run and a few well timed passes. 40+ minutes of possession time. We’re getting better every week, Cromartie spells Revis if he can’t go , Coleman, Wilson, Lowery are there, I’ll take our secondary any day. See you next week, 5-1, J-E-T-S !!

22. By tommy Jco on Oct 15, 2010 | Reply

wayne chrebet , you are truley a beloved jet for life!!!!!!! and your writing skills and insight of the game dont surprise me or anyone / please keep blogging its my favorite read after games

23. By Tammy on Oct 15, 2010 | Reply

Great blog Wayne!! I have a GREAT memory of that game…. It was my birthday and I was 8 1/2 months pregnant….. I had a party, yet by the end of the 3rd quarter, folks were heading out, telling me they were sorry that the JETS let me down on my birthday……. THEN came the 4th quarter!!!! My husband is pretty sure that my wonderful daugter is as crazy as she is, because of what she must have gone thru that night!!! Everytime I jumped up and down, hooting and hollering…he just prayed that I would stay pregnant! I did… Though what a fun story that would have been!! Thanks for being a part of that “Monday Night Miricle” game…… And thanks for staying a part of the team!!

Tammy ( JetSpaz)

24. By Mental Mike on Oct 16, 2010 | Reply

Wayne great blog. This team is one of the best Jets team I have ever seen. You hit it on the head when you said they look better every week. That is pretty scary.The only thing they are missing is Wayne Chrebet.Great job again & play like a Jet!

25. By Walt on Oct 16, 2010 | Reply

That Monday night game was unreal- I can’t believe I stayed awake for it! My friends and I left the sports bar in the third quarter- but Jets- Dolphins games are always interesting (I was at the 1986 51-45 game)- So I hung in there when I got home -great game.

As far as Denver I’d like your take on the altitude next week and how it may affect the Jets. I know you’ved played there and there is no way to train for that. If the Jersey guy Moreno plays it may make the game tougher for the Jets- he’s very good. Orton is very underrated- he puts up great numbers so it won’t be easy.

26. By Greenbaydan on Oct 16, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, while I have to confess as to never having seen you at Shea, I believe Diehard3 is having a Woodstock experience. So far as I know you never played at Shea. Nontheless, you were dead on with your comments regarding the Monday night game. My question is: What would you call with 4th and 7 on your own 35? Draw plays always have the DE’s laying back. I think more aggresive play in mid season on such a play could be rewarding. Can’t wait for Vinny’s tournament, Scrappy and I will surley be there.

27. By Greenbaydan on Oct 16, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, by the way, #80 is definatley deserving of the ring of honor. Question: If they put fireman Ed in there with #42, what of Bruce Harper? Will the fans be comfused?

28. By billy lamachine hayes on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

greenbaydan, a drawplay on 4th and 7 on your own 35? did special teams miss the team flight or something? or are you also having a woodstock experience with diehard3? youre allowed to punt in the NFL. and you and your friend scrappy want chrebet to be in your foursome for vinnys charity golf outing in elmont? you better check your invite.not many charity golf outings in elmont in cold weather.maybe you and scrappy should find a golf outing in greenbay!!!! J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

29. By Bob (Scrappy) Muldoon on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

La machine: Greenbay was only suggesting to Wayne that a sneak draw on 4th and long would keep the DE’s honest. Even rudimentary football fans know that a Power Right Z 34 X Drive 4 has a success rate of 9 yards per draw. We are aware of the weather conditions in NY in winter, and GB only suggested we get together at the next tourny. I bet Wayne can attest to the success rate of the play. The Jets D should crush the Broncs to. With or without the draw play.

30. By NYisontop on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

This team is improving, very accurately portrayed as a top-tier team in a league filled with dangerous opponents where there’s a lot of parity this year. The Jets rise to the top no matter how you look at rankings. The offensive line is really a workhorse, and while I cringe at some dropped catches that looked certain, the receivers are resilient and our offense has produced victories. Not enough can be said for Shonn Greene and LT’s work, Sanchez’s effectiveness or his seamless handoffs that delay a defender – it’s beautiful clockwork to watch.

I have some concerns about the defense’s struggle with stopping teams on third and long and penalties – but these should improve. And if not, this team manufactures Wins. Go Jets!

31. By billy lamachine hayes on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

hmmm? mr.muldoon,that power right Z 34 X is very successful if slip mahoney is your RB, sach is your QB and louie dumbrowski is football coach.that is same play used in the television show THE BOWERY BOYS in the 60’s.and much the bowery boys routine 4, routine 7 and routine 9, it didnt work. also the D doesnt call draw plays. watch the JETS today and LEARN enjoy the game!!! GO JETS!!!!!!!!

32. By Bob (Scrappy) Muldoon on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

Interesting La Machine…Your knowledge of football is matched only by your grasp of history. The Bowery Boys were a product of the ’40’s….not the ’60’s. Wayne will tell you that I’m correct on my assessment regarding the draw play. So far as your knowledge: It’s 4th and 20 on your own 5.

33. By Sgt Franklin US Cavalry on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, man u said it what a Jets team,i been a fan for 24 years and this is very refreshing,shure wish u were out there ,that would be the iceing on the cake,we miss u.thanx for the kick ass blog,please keep it going….J-E-T-S Jets,Jets,Jets