• Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 15, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Johnson Contacts Cablevision and Fox

Posted by Randy Lange on October 27, 2010 – 6:30 pm

The impasse between Cablevision and Fox TV is now threatening to impact the New York Jets and their fans. We’ve received numerous phonecalls, emails and tweets this week inquiring about what’s been happening and what’s going to happen to the telecast of the Jets-Packers game on Sunday, which is set to air on Fox beginning at 1 p.m. ET.

Jets owner Woody Johnson has been in contact with both sides in an effort to enable Jets fans across the tri-state area to view this weekend’s game.

This afternoon Johnson said in a statement:

“Today I spoke with Cablevision and News Corporation about the importance of broadcasting our game this Sunday. Both companies acknowledged the passion of our fans and their desire to watch the game.  If a resolution cannot be reached, I hope that they can set aside their differences to air our game against the Packers.”

When negotiations reached a critical juncture on Friday, Oct. 15, Fox, owned by News Corp., at midnight pulled its programming from Cablevision and the signal has yet to resume. As a result, more than 3 million Cablevision subscribers across the region have missed 12 days of sports and entertainment, including the football Giants’ home game against the Lions two Sundays ago.

Tags: , , ,

55 Responses to “Johnson Contacts Cablevision and Fox”

1. By Joe Cardinale on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

I think Woody should just let cable show it our stream it on the website

2. By luis atiles on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

fix it plzzzz

3. By Bernard Mccaffrey on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

I have been a jet fan since 1967. i had season seats from 1974 till 1986. I gave them up when my son was born. He is 24 years old now and is a season ticket holder for the past two years. Sunday during football season is like a holiday, we all watch the jet game.
    we all look foward to this every week. I cant stand the idea of not seeing it. at least my son will see it because its a home game. Cablevision and fox are killing me. Can we watch this game on the internet?

4. By JOHN AVVENTO on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

I never thought a day would come where I would be on the side of cableision let alone railing against “FOX,” the true central command for the war on tierney, liberalism and and socialist OBAMA! BUT one cannot ignore the greed and the heartless actions of Fox news corp these days. I suspect Fox figures that a vast majority of cablevision customers were from Manhattan and manhattan produces liberal drones. Well FOX, you have to understand that Brooklyn is, in fact, a large borough and there are many Brooklynites who want these wiesel liberals out of our government! Give the customers back their proramming!

5. By Dennis on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

Get em Woody

6. By steve on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

I would just like to say im the biggest jets fan on the face of this earth and if cable vishion or any one messes up me watching sundays game or any game bye the jets heads are gunna roll. But any how is the game at 1pm or 4.15 pm i heard 4.15pm wasent shure. Now im scared that i may not be able to watch it period

7. By thomas marshall on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

good on ya woody i cant believe this is not resolved already. us jet fans are hoping and pray they air sundays game

8. By Matt on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

Woody get this done need to watch the game pleeese

9. By gail on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

thank you for trying.

10. By David on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

Enough is enough already!!! This crap has gone on long enough!!!! We, the fans are the ones that are suffering. Both sides need to come to an agreement and end this nonsense.

11. By dante on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

im a huge jets fan and i know that if jet fans cant make it to watch the game live we definatly will be on the coach watching the game so please get this game for us this is a big one! J! E! T! S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!!

12. By S. Rice on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

Personally I don’t care what cablevision does because this will be last week that I will be a customer

13. By oakesbar on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Woody
    Keep pushing, we need to see this game.
    I wonder why this is a problem for Cablevision but not Verizon.
    Is there something we are not being told ?
    Verizon Fios is not offered in my area or I would have changed
    providers long ago.
    This is not the first such incident concerning Cablevision.
    There have been several in the last few years (remember the
    food network)
    Sadly enough, Verizon is available to people I know living just a mile or so from my home but I am out of thier service area.. ..
    The NFL, all its teams, and all other sprots should look closely at this situation
    and think very carefully before agreeing to any further contracts with News corp.or Cablevision. Even if I cant see the game go Jets !!!!!!!

14. By jetsfan on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

fios here i come

15. By Dave Baum on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

Hey Randy, why doesn’t the Jets & the NFL do what MLB did for the tri-state area & offer an ONLINE connection on NFL Gameday for free with a rebate by Cablevision?

16. By Monica Butler on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I frankley don’t miss fox. I pay enough to watch tv and there are PLENTY of places to go to watch the game, I visit my daughter,go to a bar ,or just to a friend who has it. TRUST ME I will not miss the game or fox.

17. By Annie on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I am so upset. I have been a Jet fan for for over 40 yrs. I don’t think I’ve missed more than 5 games in all those years. It would be a shame to miss this game because of greed. I hope they show our game. We are loyal fans. I pray to God they do.
    Thank you!

18. By gueli on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

unfortunatly fox will not negotiate with cablevision in my opinion. untill the advertisers step up, complain and force news corp to do something, I doubt news corp will care. People from the NFL need to pressure the owners of fox 5 to do the right thing. The NFL should swap this game back to CBS so all JETS fans can watch

19. By Gustoon on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

As someone who lives outside the US looking in, this just strikes me as being totally absurd.
    When the FANS cannot get to see the game, the game being played on their behalf, then some-things terribly wrong.
    I understand that without the TV coverage monies coming in, the game would be hit hard. But what these huge corporations have to realise is that they, like the NFL are here for us, the fans, not the other way around.
    I hope the powers that be are big enough to do whats right, for the good of the game and the fans.

20. By Jimmy Cheese on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the jesture Woody. It’s really pathetic that both a cable company, and a broadcast company can hold the entire tri-state area hostage like this. All I want to do is be a fan to a sport, be it Baseball or Football, and because it’s supposed to be a ‘modern world’ I have cable instead of an old RF antenna. Tell the NFL to force Fox to give up the game and allow it to be broadcast on another channel like 2 or 4. It’s not about the Jets, or the NFL, it’s about these two mega-billion dollar companies being insanly greedy. Why should anyone else suffer over this. It was bad enough worrying that the game would be blacked out over poor sales, this is even worse.

21. By Kelly on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

OMG! Is there any way to watch this Sundays game? Can not change carrier at this time. We live in Hampton Bays LI. We are die hard jet fans. My husband even took sunday off to watch this game. After last weeks buy. I am having Jets withdrawal LOL
    Any chance the organization could air on another network or will it be available online? I am sure this is a dicouraging for you as well If you are in contract with fox that this must be aired on their network and they are in breach of contract can’t you show the game on another network or even like a hbo pay per view. PS loved hard knocks. thanks for listening. Hope to see you Sunday J-E-T-S

22. By Mad Dog on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Why is this game on Fox anyway? Aren’t all the Jet games on CBS. I don’t remember the last time I saw the Jets play on Fox!!!

23. By coat on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

get it done Woody but I think I’m still gonna switch to direct TV

24. By Clarke W. Griswald on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I love how cablevision accuses Fox of extorting them, so how come they aren’t “extorting” Verizon or Directv?

25. By cindy on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

i am a huge jet Fan i have not missed a game yet. And now on Sunday i cant watch because of there differnces. I really hope they get this resolved by Sunday. Or please air the game.

26. By Ron Lipuma on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

If i miss the Jets telecast Sunday the first call i make will be to Verizon Fios!

27. By Kim Green on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

YOu know, at this point I would agree to any dollar amount to get this crap over with. I don’t care if it will cost more per month. Just put the Jets on TV on Sunday.

28. By Nancy Rubino on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

It is really terrible to not be able to see our wonderful Jets especially this year when they are contenders, please, please Please settle

29. By Frank on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey Guys there is an alternative and its called Directv. Having had both I dropped cablevision who by the way is the worst cable company in the country. Get the Sunday ticket and enjoy your weekend.

30. By Steven Cosenza on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

WHY is the JETS game this Sunday even on Fox to begin with when we all know the JETS home station is Channel 2. I think that this is totally absurd just cause the Giants are on a bye week as our game should be moved to Channel 2 where it should be. Nuff said

31. By Ruben on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

My mom who is old fashioned, took advantage of two $40 coupons offered by the government a couple years ago for a converter box. I am borrowing one of the converter boxes and will watch from home on free over the air TV. By the way, the picture quality is pretty good.

32. By Allan on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

woody, keep on pushing them. Please also push the NFL to allow streaming video of the game.

If all else fails, I guess I will have a friend web cam the game to me at work.

33. By Greg on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Go to a bar that has the NFL ticket!!! I’m sure there are plenty of them no matter WHERE YOU LIVE

34. By scjoe on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I have just two things to say about this subject. 1-Verizon 2- Direct TV. You can’t tell me either of the two has that much higher a cost then cable.

35. By Ben on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I mean cablevision & News corp Jets no. 1

36. By Ray on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Clarke W., they do have issues with the other cable companies. These deals are all negotiated individually so, like players, the contracts come due at different times. The same type of battle went on with Time Warner a year or so ago. I doubt FOX will mess with Directv because they have the NFL Ticket which is an agreement with the NFL and FOX doesn’t want to get in a battle with the NFL.
    For those thinking they will “just go out and get the NFL Ticket” , I have it and it costs $399 (though they may prorate that for you). I would suggest going to a local sports bar, have something to eat and a drink and watch it on THEIR dime. I wouldn’t spend a bunch of extra money unless I was sure this was going to go on for an extended period.

37. By Leon on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I’m going to a sports bar – or to a buddy’s house to watch.

What Woody SHOULD do is pull all advertising off of Fox for a year. I’m pretty sure that Johnson & Johnson has a pretty big advertising budget.

38. By NIck on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I follow sports so I don’t have to deal with political nonsense! I hope Fox stays off the air past the elections, then gets yanked by verizon and dish network.

39. By Chart Reporter on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know who to hate more, Cablevision or Fox. I’ve always hated Cablevision for every year increasing rates so now I am paying well over $100 a month for what I used to pay $60 8 years ago.

Now this time they are making a case that Fox is demanding more than the other networks so I wonder who is really to blame this time. And they agreed to arbitration, but Fox didn’t.

Did you hear that Cablevision will pay for people to get an mlb.com subscription to watch the World Series?

But what about football?!

40. By Beth on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I’ve got Time Warner and so far Fox is still working. When I lived in Los Angeles (momentary lapse in judgement) I watched JETS games on line on channelsurfing.net. They usually had the games streaming. I am not a FOX fan, but when the JETS are on then it’s worth it. Here everyone was worried about not selling enough PSL’s and in the end FOX is the one messing it up for the fans.

41. By Chris on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I just checked out an indoor over-the-air HDTV antenna I had bought for some reason awhile ago. It gets Fox in beautiful HDTV really well.

42. By LAZARUS LOPEZ on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I THOUGHT CH 2 WAS “HOME OF THE NY JETS”, SO WHERE ARE THEY???

43. By JV on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I moved to PA years ago, but have remain a loyal fan since 78. I only get to see 7-8 games a year. Woody I would definately anti up for a webcast of the J-E-T-S games.

44. By Bonnie on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I’m on Cablevision’s side in this dispute. If Fox gets what they want (or even close) every other broadcaster will want the same and we will all eventually be paying huge increases. Having said that, can’t the Jets find a way to do pay-per-view this weekend? It’s just not the same on radio . . . please . . .

45. By Sal on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Terrible situation,although I do have a plan “B”, it really breaks my heart and disappointment me that I may not be able to watch the game in the comfort of my own home. I have had some offers from friends to go their house to watch it on Fios. When all is said and done, it’s “WE” the consumer who will lose in the end. I’m seriously looking to switch to a different provider in the future.

46. By Andrew on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Can someone please tell me why fox is even airing this game? is it not an afc home game, and doesnt cbs carry all afc home games?

47. By Randy Lange on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Andrew, the network for Sunday afternoon games is determined by the visiting team. If that team is from the AFC, the game is aired by CBS. If the visitor is from the NFC, the game is aired by Fox.

48. By ANGELO on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

i AM A CABLEVISION SUBSCRIBER AND FOR THE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME LAST YEAR AGAINST COLTS PURCHASED A HIGH DEFINITION ANTENNA AT BEST BUY AND HOOKED IT UP TO ONE TV AND GOT EXCELLENT RECEPTION. I WAS ABLE TO VIEW dENVER GAME, NATION LEAGE PLAYOFF SERIES AND 1ST TWO GAMES ON WORLD SERIES. I AM ALSO SAVING BOX AND REMOTE RENTAL OF &7.00 PER MONTH ON THIS TV. NETWORK SIGNALS ARE TRANSMITTED FREE AND EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE ONE TV WITH HIGH DEFINITION ANTENNA SO ALL OF THE NETWORKS AND CABLEVISION DON’T HOLD US HOSTAGE AT DIFFERENT TIMES.

49. By ANGELO on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

jimmy , go to best buy and purchase a high definition antenna. the hd reception is clearer that cable, verizion fios or satellite and you do not need to be a cablevision subscriber to receive HD signal that is broadcasrted free from networks.

50. By TY WOODY on Oct 30, 2010 | Reply

WELL THANKS FOR TRYING REALLY HOPE FOX LETS US WATCH THE GAME MR JOHNSON OWNS THE TEAM HE SHOULD B ABLE TO STREAM IT ON THIS SITE,,FOX WOULD SUE??I WOULD GO TO A BAR BUT AT 1PM TO EARLY FOR DRINKING LOL NOW THESE ANTENAS I LIVE IN SHIRLEY NEAR SMITH POINT DO U THINK I WOULD B ABLE TO PICK UP THE SIGNAL??I REALLY HOPE THIS GETS RESOLVED..MIGHT HAVE 2 GO OLDSCHOOL WITH A RADIO PROBABLY FILLED WITH DUST I ALSO HERD P2P IS THERE ANY LEGIT SITES? DONT NEED A VIRUS SOMEONE POST A SITE AND THE SOFTWARE U MIGHT NEED

51. By J.Z. on Oct 30, 2010 | Reply

35 year jet fan,the jets are more popular than ever !!!! this is crazy! woody Johnson is truly the smartest best owner in the NFL/I dont know all the circumstances? but it sounds like greed.

52. By andre on Oct 30, 2010 | Reply

woody is a great owner he cares about jet fans, please woody we all know u got the power to get that jets game on sunday, i had season tickets every year till this year i lost my job and have no money but i watch my jets every sunday no matter what and i dont want to miss the game , because of greedy companies like news corp. and cablevision,

53. By Drew on Oct 30, 2010 | Reply

Being democrat or republican has nothing to do with this. I am dropping cablevision this week. Go Jets!!!!!

54. By punchie on Oct 30, 2010 | Reply

i do not understand how the money making machine that is the nfl does not offer live streaming of games they could have a single game charge or a season charge that way even people who now live in other countries can watch the season unfold.there aint no cbs or cablevision in australia only fox and espn.

55. By george on Oct 31, 2010 | Reply

The worse is CBS for us fans that live in upstate NY even if buff isnt playing CBS doesnt air the game up here . it stinks. Hey we live in NY and should be able to watch all games on TV there are just as many jet fans as buff up here and even in cortland the games are hard to get up here. CBS only airs buff up here and even when they are playing at different time CBS dont give us the game I have complained for years about this,and know I am not alone on this. I have seen CBS air Ice skating or golf over a JET game come on CBS give us of upstate NY a brake and air the JETS . JETS JETS JETS