• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show co-hosted by Jeane Coakley and Brian Custer with analysts Ray Lucas and Erik Coleman, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 15, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

CHREBET: Back in the Saddle Again

Posted by Wayne Chrebet on October 28, 2010 – 10:15 am

This is former Jets receiving great Wayne Chrebet’s eighth blog this season for newyorkjets.com:

The question that I’ve been asked most often this week is whether the bye week would help or hurt the team. The byes come at different times for different teams. Some teams unfortunately have really early byes. Even though the Jets are riding a five-game win streak, I don’t think the week off will hurt them too much. Most important thing that the week off does is give the hurt players some time off their feet. A little extra time to heal. I know Revis and Pace will really benefit from this time off.

It will help the whole team in two different ways. The young and the old. The Jets have a good group of young talent that are getting some quality playing time. For the rookies, this will be all new for them. They’ve played 10 games including the preseason. For some guys right out of college that’s a whole season. With 10 to go, this will help them get mentally prepared for what will seem to them another full season.

I read a lot that the young guys go back to watch their college teams. I think that’s great. They stand on the sideline, get a great cheer from the fans, spend some time with their old teammates. I think that’s a thrill, to have made it into the NFL and come back and be celebrated for that. It doesn’t hurt that the Jets are in first place. The Jets are the talk of the NFL, I’m sure these kids are bombarded with the “What’s this like? What’s that like? What’s it feel like to do this? You think you guys can win it?” I love it. Certainly better than my first bye week in the league. The big question I was asked was “Are you guys going to win a game?” Still I felt on top of the world standing on the sideline of my alma mater.

The team also has its share of veterans, or old guys as the rookies would call us. It’s different. At this point in their careers they have a good idea of how to take care of their bodies. In my first couple of years I spent the bye weeks going out every night, hanging with friends, maybe celebrating too much. Into the middle of my career and towards the end, I figured out that lying on the couch and taking a little vacation to somewhere warm was the best remedy for the aches and pains from the first half of the season.

The key to the bye week is staying sharp. They played great football so far. Some tough, nail-biting games, but they came up with the victory. The time off really gives you a chance to assess the season, step back and see what you’ve accomplished, and more importantly what you hope to for the rest of the season. You ever have something to do and you stand there for a minute, take a deep breath, exhale and say, “OK, here we go”? That’s what it’s like. You step back into the training facility, take a big breath and you’re off.

The game against the Packers this week is at home and on Halloween. Are you kidding me? How great is that? You take 70,000 Jets fans and put them in costumes, sounds like a party to me. I will be going to the game. I think it would be pretty funny if I was walking through the stadium in full pads, number 80 on my back, eye black and all. Just a thought. Don’t know if I have the guts to do it.

The Packers don’t look like the Packers from last year but they’re still a good team. They are good on both sides of the ball. Defense has some all-stars. Woodson was the defensive player of the year last year and Clay Matthews Jr. looks like the real thing. Just to name a few. They have a very good offense that can put big numbers on the board. Offensive line played great this past week vs. the Vikings. Didn’t give up a sack. Even with that, Rodgers looked really out of sync with his receivers on some plays. Hopefully the Jets defense can get to him early and force him into some bad decisions. He has shown this year that he will throw some interceptions.

My feeling is that while it’s a great matchup, I think the Jets have a slight advantage in the game. They seem a lot hungrier. Not to look too far ahead, but after this game the next two, although on the road, are against Detroit and Cleveland. Two teams that they will have a great chance of beating. It all starts (again) this week.

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 38 Comments »

38 Responses to “CHREBET: Back in the Saddle Again”

1. By wayne on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Glad to see the HC taking the lowkey approach to the ‘See you in Dallas’ SB talk FINALLY. A lot of funny things can happen along the way…like Ben and Tom and Peyton….The best Passrusher on the team was rushed back and will not be well for rest of year.Revis being well again is yet to be determined. And without those two……….NO PASSRUSH, NO SUPERBOWL

2. By Mike G on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

How about activating Wayne for one series of downs and finally retiring #80 at the half!!

3. By Jack's Tattoos on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

seeing you come out in the old #80 and eye black! I still remember the ‘flashlight’ game and the finger-wave…the jets gotta retire #80…whoever wears it will forever be compared to chrebet

4. By Jeff on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,

You should be a commentator on any NFL show. I look forward to your blogs every week. Thanks

5. By scjoe on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I have to agree with most of the things Wayne says as far as when the bye week occurred. It almost certainly will help both Revis and Pace, and that is huge. One thing I will question is Wayne’s take on the next two games, Detroit and Cleveland. Detroit is, well, Detroit! Cleveland on the other hand is coming, write that down. Don’t think that will be an automatic W. I was a Mangini fan, I will admit that. I think he got a raw deal (thank you Brett) but I think he has Cleveland playing well, and they have some talent. At the same time I think he will get caught up in the politics of the game and be fired after this season, only to have Holmgren reap the benefits of what he has done there. That said, would I exchange Rex for Mangini? NO!

6. By Bill on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Wayne! You are the best on and off the field! My favorite memories of you are the flashlight to star game down in rainy Tampa and you hauled in the game winner from Curtis. I also loved the game where you Coles and Moss tore up Greenbay to win the division in the last game of the year. That one was a rare appearance from you in a long sleeve shirt and gloves. The Monday Night miracle was amazing and then there was that best-catch-I-have-ever-scene in the 34-17 loss to Baltimore at the end of that Al Groh Season that prevented a playoff birth, making 3 great memories from that one Al Groh Season. Anyways I wish you the best and I wish you great health for many years to come.

Your #80 fan!

7. By Charles DiComo on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,
    I’m a huge fan of your for many years. I lived in Garfield NJ on Orchard Street for 3 years and my son’s principle new you very well.
    I think you are the most popular Jet in recent history and a hero for all the fans. You were considered the greatest Jet of this era since the days of the Sack Exchange. Glad to see you are so involved with the organization. What we need id a “clone” of you on the field again. Jo Jets

8. By Troy on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Great post again Wayne, I just hope with this extra prep.time the team has had ,Schotty & Cavs,spent time getting Mark mentally back to the qb we saw in weeks 2-4,poised standing up to the rush making all his reads etc. those things have eluded him these past 2 games and he seems to be feeling pressure thats not there and panicking,why the regression who knows.I also think more down the seam routes need to be ran off the play-action(like the 1st play in the minn.game,opposing corners & safties seem to be ready to jump those square out patterns to the sideline,Mark could help his cause some by not staring down his reciever(like in Den.game 2nd int)we all know that our success in the end is on his shoulders if were going to get that superbowl

9. By Troy on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Continued from above…..Mark has everything a qb could ever want to be successful,the #1 running game ,a back in LTD who can catch and pass-protect,a recieving corp that as a group is 2nd to none in this NFL. And a O-line that is actually playing better than it did last season in both aspects of the Run-block-and pass protection,a punter and a Kicker who have been playing at pro-bowl levels,and finally a D,that at times shaky thus far I beleive is ready to become as dominant as we’ve ever seen in Jet history,I know he’s still young & growing and mistakes will happen ,but just make the opposing D earn it dont give it them ,if you stand in the pocket and make your reads like you have shown you can do,we cant lose..GO JETS

10. By Jaclyn on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I agree completely, retire Chrebet’s jersey….one of the most respected Jets of all time….I dont think any Jets fan could imagine anyone else wearing #80

11. By Troy on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I will add that I dont really think (or Rex will let them)have the well we get the Lions & Browns so we should just roll them (ask the Saints about the Browns)As good as I know we are Im finding myself for the 1st time in 25 yrs of not missing a game,looking at each week as a 1 game season,i dont know why,maybe its because the Pats are still neck & neck with us and Pittsburgh looks to be a team that ends with only 2-3 losses,and knowing we dont want to have to pull an 04′again with having to go in there 2x ,there tough to beat in Jan.as we all remember(thanx again D.Brien)we need to obtain a bye and have home-field,espcially if its the Colts we need them outdoors,and Pitt & NE away from home as well ,so every game is paramount,

12. By billy lamachine hayes on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

lol lol lol THAT IS GREATTTTTTTT!!!!!! DO IT!!!! walk thru that stadium in your uniform on HALLOWEEN!!! LOL LOL LOL dont do it outside the stadium. i was wayne chrebet for halloween 9 years ago.theres alots giant fans in this town. i got alota rocks when i went trick or treating and i got hit with alota tomatoes. i even went trick or treating to your house wayne.your wife amy put ROCKS IN MY CANDY BAG AND THREW TOMATOES AT ME!!!!! GO GANG GREEN!!!! BEAT THE PACK!!!! YOU DA MAN WAYNE!!!!!! GO 80!!! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!BE SAFE! HAVE FUN BEAT THE PACK

13. By Tom Fish on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, Thanks for giving us a player’s insight into the bye-week. Getting rest and healing are certainly advantages but staying sharp is key. I’m curious to see the actual numbers, that is, the win percentage of a team following a bye-week. It would certainly ground the bye week debat in fact. Hey, why not throw on the pads and uniform for Holloween? The fans (myself included) would eat it up! To make it more “costume-like” you can vlecro a football to your chest and spraypaint a crack on your helmut…Man, you made the most incredable catches, took huge hits and still hung on to the ball! That’s why the stands are still filled with Chrebet jerseys – you showed talent and guts. Thanks for everything Wayne. Retire number 80 for sure!

14. By billy lamachine hayes on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

and its sad sad wayne that you cant stand on the sidelines at your alma mater anymore. its a shame they dropped the football program. you put hofstra on the map!!! ITS SO SAD!!

15. By Joanna on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

wayne, you’ll always be a great and admired JET.

16. By Lance J on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Wayne
    Good to have you back after the bye week that seemed to drag on forever. Looking forward to more Jets Football. Based on the mounting injuruies that Green Bay has had to endure – The Jets have an advantage in this game that did not exist a month ago. Similar to Denver – GB does not have a running game right now and GB’s entire offense is Aaron Rodgers. A healthy Revis should be a tremendous boost to the defense. If Revis and Cro can handle Driver and Jennings in one on one matchups, we should hold GB to less than 14 pts. 2 weeks for Rex to prepare should equal another hard fought victory.

17. By Brad C on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Wayne- even better…go out in your Hofstra uniform on one side and jets on the other..at least the Jets are still around. What a crying shame as I attended Hofstra ten years ago and grew up in Garden City…life long Jet Fan……

18. By Freddie on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Hi Randy,
    I know this is not the place to post this but can you please make JETS fans in NYC / NJ know that those who have other cable outlets will not be affected. It took me plus a clerk from Radio Shack 30 minutes to convince a few people that areas served by Time Warner which is their area of service is NOT affected.
    We are all a part of the JETS family so just trying to help. Thanks.

19. By Daniel Rodgers on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,

I am 20 and have been a Jets fan forever. You were and will alway be my favorite Jet of all time and it is great to see you staying involved with the team in some way. I always thought you should be a receivers coach and teach these guys how to catch without gloves.

Keep the posts coming and I hope to see you at the game!

20. By Dominick on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Love hearing what Wayne has to say!!!!!

21. By Gmany3k on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Nice read plain and simple.

22. By tommy Jco on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

my man wayne,not only r u insightful on the game of football but youve got a great sense of humor also i folowed you through college and the pro level and either the n y jets are not thinking straight,to not have you coaching in their system and or network tv is crazy to not be knocking your door down , to do commentary !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe iam biased but i know u would be, well u know , enough said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! big jet fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. By sal cottone on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Speaking for most fans Iam sure, miss watching you play ball on Sunday!
    Dont know if players watch the network as much as us fans, But listening to opening comments for a segment how Green Bay will ground the Jets(even though half their team is hurt), does it help a team or hurt a team coming off a bye week w/bulletin board material like this?

24. By Randy Young on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Wayne You will always be part of the NY JETS Legacy.
    What an Outstanding player you were to the JETS.
    Perfection never performed so good.

25. By Walt on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Great advice for the young guys to chill during the bye week- not that they will do it. Young people think their invincible. Thankfully the players learned from Braylons mistake and kept a low profile. Too much time off is trouble sometimes. I think they will come off the bye week clicking on all cylinders.

Packers/Jets- I remember that last game in 2002 when the Jets clinched and steamrolled the Pack- That was a great scene. My buddy at work is a die hard Packer fan- he owns stock in the team. You can’t talk to him when they lose- hope that’s the case this week.

26. By G Wilz on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Doing a stadium walk-thru in uniform would go down as a “Classic.” What a great idea! (make sure some one does a video)

27. By Bob (Scrappy) Muldoon on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,

They’ll probably be more #80 jerseys than anything else. Although the Pack brings in its “psycho” defense, the Jets can counter with lead zone right wing. A play we used at State. Being it’s Halloween, I understand that they’ll be handing out paper face cutouts of Boomer Esaiason. Imagine the look on Clay Matthew’s face when he sees 70,000 Boomers? I’ll be there too. Maybe we can share a hot dog…see you there…God Bless…Scrappy.

28. By little big man on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

what was your true playing weight Wayne?
    not the gameday listed numbers…

thanks for the years and the effort.
    -sec 104

29. By @e_man on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Wayne – You need to get on Twitter! Love your insight! Thanks Erik – @e_man from JetsTwit.com

30. By Tom_23 on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

You should defintely dress as #80 for Halloween. You may be surprised that you will avoid some of the onslaught of fans. See

31. By Bob (Scrappy) Muldoon on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Is it true that Fireman Ed has the fliue? Maybe me and my brother Husk can take his place against on Sunday. Husk has huge shoulders to let me ride him…God bless, Scrappy.

32. By Bob (Scrappy) Muldoon on Oct 30, 2010 | Reply

Gearing up for tomorrows game. Me and Husk can”t wait. Husk reminded me of the time we went to a Jet Packer game and a very young Wayne Chrebet was stunned by a Lynn Dickey TD pass to James Lofton. Young Wayne spilled his soda and dropped his hot dog all over Husk. We replaced the dog and soda.

33. By Tony D on Oct 30, 2010 | Reply

Wayne hope you’re right and the Jets perform like a J-E-T-S can’t wait for the game..Thanks

34. By Row on Oct 30, 2010 | Reply

The Jets were really on a roll, I bet they can’t wait to hear that click clack when they step on the field. I always liked watching the ball kicked off and everyone on the return team holding till the catch, then the game starts. Throw that old jersey on, Wayne. It will be a madhouse come Sunday. Go Jets

35. By maura walton on Oct 31, 2010 | Reply

The number 80 is sacred in upstate ny. No JETS fan would ever let the franchise get away with another player running out on the field with that number. Miss you on Sundays……

36. By steven d on Oct 31, 2010 | Reply

The jets were outcoached and outplayed this weak. Love to see your team later in the year for another NY loss to the team i own part of.

37. By steven d on Oct 31, 2010 | Reply

I did enjoy wathing Wayne C. play

38. By Bob (Scrappy) Muldoon on Nov 1, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, tough loss yesterday. Me and Husk had a great time at the game. Thanks for posing for the pics and autographing the pic for my grandson, little Scrappy.