• Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 9:30 PM - 10:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 11:30 PM - 11:59 PM EDT Jets Post Game: Bears at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Thu., Sep. 25, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Fri., Sep. 26, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

Ryan Twins Prepare to Get It On This Weekend

Posted by Eric Allen on November 9, 2010 – 3:49 pm

Rex Ryan has drawn first blood on his twin brother, Rob, as the brothers get set to resume their sibling rivalry Sunday in Cleveland.

“Blow darts have hit a picture of Eric [Mangini], Colt [McCoy] and then I have about 14 of them on me,” said Rob Ryan, the Browns defensive coordinator. “I’m taking offense to it and we’re going to have some retaliatory reactions to it later in the week.”

Rex, the 47-year-old Jets head coach who is about five minutes older than Rob, might be having some fun targeting his upcoming opponent. But more often than not, the Ryan brothers have worked as a team. Asked today for his favorite story on the pair, Rob Ryan recalled a baseball game in Chicago when Rex was at the plate against a highly touted pitcher and needed some visionary help.

“He was only playing with one contact lens, so he said, ‘Rob, give me your left contact.’ So I give it to him, he plucks it in his eye and goes up and smashes a home run. I think the thing is still going — I think they found it in Cuba somewhere,” said Rob. “So he circles the bases and comes in with a big smile on his face. He goes, ‘You want that contact back?’ And I said, ‘Nah, you can keep it.’ ”

Rob liked the outcome of his matchup with Rex back in 1998 when he served as Oklahoma State’s defensive coordinator and the latter served as the Oklahoma Sooners’ defensive leader. The final was 41-26 as the homestanding Cowboys scored on six of their first seven second-half possessions against OU and captured their first home win over their rival since 1966.

“We know he’s going to get our best shot and we know we’re going to get his. It will be a great game and hopefully it’s not like one of those games when he was a defensive coordinator at Oklahoma and I was a defensive coordinator at Oklahoma State,” said the younger Ryan. “We ended up winning that game and tore down the goalposts, but by the end of it we were trying to convince everybody that we were the offensive coordinators, not the defensive coordinators.”

Later in the week the two will shut down their lines of communication as kickoff nears, but this will be a rare occurrence for Buddy Ryan’s twin sons.

“We talk all the time. We’re as close as you can be. I don’t think there is any pair of brothers closer than we are,” said Rob. “We had our own language when we were kids growing up. If you fought one of us, you had to be real tough because you fought both of us. I don’t think we ever lost any fights because hell, we were always 2-on-1 or whatever it was so we found a way to win.”

They both will come into this matchup riding high. Rex has his club 6-2 after appearing in the AFC Championship Game last year while Rob is coordinating a defense that just held Tom Brady to 224 yards passing and intercepted Drew Brees four times in back-to-back wins over the Patriots and the Saints.

“I think we’re starting to turn the corner with our team,” said Rob, who is helping former Jets boss Eric Mangini hold opposition to 19.5 points a game. “We beat New Orleans and we beat New England the last two weeks. I believe that makes us 7-5 over the last 12 games, but our team is definitely on the upswing. We’re looking to keep going and to do better things.”

The success Rex has experienced as a head coach figures to make Rob an attractive head coaching candidate himself.

“If you paint a picture of a head coach, you usually have some pretty boy nowadays,” Rob Ryan said, “I don’t think me or Rex, or my dad, for that matter, are male models by any stretch. But we’re damn good football coaches.”

Checking on Rankings

With the Steelers-Bengals Monday night game ending Week 9, we can now say officially that the Jets’ offense keeps rising. After finishing strong with 437 yards, not to mention the overtime win at Detroit, the Jets rank 12th in total yards gained per game, the highest ranking of the Mark Sanchez era with the exception of Week 1 of last season, when they were tied for third after gaining 462 yards in their opener at Houston.

The Jets passing offense also made a jump after Sanchez had the first 300-yard passing game of his pro career, 336 in all vs. the Lions. The 20th ranking is still modest, but it’s the highest ranking of the past 24 weeks and comes four weeks after the Jets were 32nd and last in net passing yards per game.

Three other rankings of note today: The overall defense is rated sixth, its highest of the season. The Jets’ yardage differential has risen to eighth, the highest of the season. But the team that once led the league in turnover margin, has fallen from plus-11 to plus-5 the last three games, dropping the Green & White to a ninth-place tie, their worst turnover margin ranking of the year.

Texans Game Stays Put

It’s the time of the season when the schedule gets flexed. But we can tell you today that the Jets’ return-home Nov. 21 game against the Houston Texans at New Meadowlands Stadium, originally scheduled for a 1 p.m. EST kickoff, will remain at 1 p.m.

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 26 Comments »

26 Responses to “Ryan Twins Prepare to Get It On This Weekend”

1. By Arte Old School on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

You know with all of this talk from the Wizard of Oz Lions victory and the upcoming Browns, I would like to think a little education should be taking place .. Can we learn from what Detroit did versus what we didn’t do.. Yes we fumbled, yes we were penalized, ya-da-ya-da.. Detroit’s offensive game plan was solid.. They pulled a boot-leg at the right time that faked the pants out of me, as well as our flex-but-don’t break Defense.. They were in rhythm all game.. We need to get in rhythm from the start of the game.. What scares me the most this week is Holmgren.. Yes the 4th Q comeback was awesome, BUT how about starting the 2 min O back when we were down by 10 w/ 8 minutes to go! We ran 3 times.. I was screaming “Come on!” 7-2 we go.. :-)

2. By IRA on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Ate,
    Good point the last time we played a team that Holmgren was working for was that disaster in Seattle in 08 and our HC was of course Mangini. Now we get to face them and they are on the same team. Talk about story lines. I don’t get caught up in that stuff. Each side knows the other very well and this will be a very good game.Question here is which Jets team will show up? The team that looked like world beaters the first month or the team that has struggled the past three games?

3. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

The Jets discovering the hurry-up O halfway through Sanchez’s second year is just more evidence that Rex doesn’t really have any particularly strong vision for or insight into the O, Arte. You know how much I dislike Schotty but like I’ve been saying this week, if he’s gonna be the one to shift the Jets into a post-1960s NFL offense, I’ll try to live with his failings. Hey, Cimini’s mid-season report card on ESPN is surprisingly fair and sane, I can actually recommend it.

4. By BigPapa on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

There’s nothing more dangerous than a football team that has nothing to lose and has just beaten the defending Super Bowl champs and a pretty good Pats squad. We had better come out on fire and keep it lit for 4 quarters.

5. By scjoe on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Some interesting stats in your story Randy, but here is the most important one, and it wont show up in any stat listings, Cleveland’s quality of play over the past 3-4 games has increased, the Jets on the other hand, I hate to say, has not! I wont go as far as saying that their quality of play has decreased, because they have won 3 out of those four, but I think everyone will get the point.

6. By dougmc on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Allright now, the bye week has come and gone and all the drops,fumbles and penalties should be a thing of the past. With all the players,coaches and brothers in common to both teams, this is the week to show what ya’ got.
    Revis is back. Sanchez has grown up. Holmes and Edwards are awesome. Enough is enough for being in these nail biters. Blow these guys up in their house and get ready for a bunch of tough games on short weeks. Thanksgiving then Monday night game with a couple of divisional games mixed in is a rough road. Stop Hillis and Mccoy and light up the scoreboard. How bout’ it now?
    J—E—T—S…JETS—JETS—JETS…!!!

7. By Doug aka BIGD on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

have faith in rex!

8. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Damn the concussions, Goodell’s out there today crowing about his efforts to cram an 18-game season down our — and the players’ — throats. Easily the worst idea in decades but of course Commissar Goodell isn’t happy unless he’s changing rules every year or doing something else to mess with the greatest sport ever. Best thing I can say about him is that he allows even the most savage comments about him, far worse than anything I’ve ever said, to go up on the NFL website. Now if only he’d let us have our green and white back for this site…

9. By Pranit on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Its time to start dominating bad teams…it better start this weekend….

10. By IRA on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Goodell is going to run this league into the ground and ruin it like they ruined the NBA.

11. By TEJ on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

It appears to me that Sanchez is more effective when he is in a flow. Stop the gimmick plays and begin using your weapons on a consistent basis. How about eliminating the penalties. I don’t remember too much of that last year. Rex needs get a little bit more stringent on the players lack of concentration. I don’t want to dwell on this but we need a complete game from all phases (special teams, offense and defense) When this happens everything will fall into place.
    GO J-E-T-S….

12. By Frank on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

If this team plays like it has over the last month they will get blown out in Cleveland. Shotty better have new wrinkles on O something that is severly lacking the last few weeks. The O needs to take what the D is giving Shotty and Rex through their stubborness refuse to alter game plans something that needs to be corrected.
    Sanchez needs to do better with his accuracy because I can guarantee Rob will be stacking the box and shutting down the middle of the field like the last 3 opponents and Sanchez needs to start making his throws outside the numbers. I really do hope they continue with the hurry up offense at different points in the game.

13. By Troy on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

With these 2 teams(somewhat going in the opposite directions as far as getting better as the year progresses)what looked a game that had a Jets better win and win convincingly outlook a month ago ,now looks like a game that could propell the Jets back into playing championship ball,and a win that would be considered one of the more telling this season,which if they can clean up there act,this should be a game in our favor,but if not we will lose,cause one thing Mangini teams always did well if not the best was NOT GETTING PENALIZED,and limit T.O.’s.so yo knoe thier not going to give us a thing,This is a chance for Rex & Shotty to outcoach the former regime,even Daboll..

14. By Troy on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

The Team needs to come out and play with a sense of urgency,Like at Miami when they jumped all over them 14-0 out the gate with a high tempo offense, it seems like(since the Den.game)they are just showing up with that Rex Mantra expecting to win everygame without putting forth the effort in Practice or game day(like edwards said a week ago Full of themselves)I agree.The focus has to shift back to hitting the other team in the mouth 1st ,get a lead, and then let the D dictate the rest of the game,thats where our Turnover’s & sacks on D are going to come around,and then salt away games with LTD & Greene..We’ve seen the ability to be explosive,LETS get back to it,there’s no excuse not to be..Starting this week.Lets wrap up that hillis hes load

15. By Troy on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

One last thing is ,I thinkits time for Rex to shut it up, no more weekly banter about who’s D is coming to town and how we dictate to no one ,which has been garbage for this most part of this season,were not adjusting well on the fly how many 3rd and longs are we going to give up for that staement to go away,get these guys to stop having so many penalties ,Coach Rex ,stop being buddy Buddy ,this team is way to comfortable and there is not accountability for the dreadful play,just get it fixed ,this is the year to take it with no clear team better than another ,be it we could be that team if we get this back on track…..

16. By scjoe on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

I have to agree with you guys on the 18 game schedule. It is so obvious it is just a money issue that it is not even funny. Aren’t there enough season ending injuries now with a 16 game schedule? What about evaluating rookies, especially the undrafted FAs. How do you do that with only 2 pre season games? I think Goodell is desperately trying to become the next Pete Rozelle.

17. By waldo on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

If we do get beat by the Browns it will be because we did not score enough. I have serious doubts that our defense will allow a rookie quarterback, to hang 20 more points on the board that we will post! REX! Turn the offense loose!

18. By Mike Jet Vet on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

While were on the subject of R-Goodell ..I have to watch my wording so let me try and make a valid point without getting in trouble .. has any one else noticed how R-Goodells new rules and regulations about player safety which BTY I agreed with to a certain point but it is football not foosball and how its played, come in the wake of his lobbying on a 18 game season I truly hope its more about player safety not league greed popularity and TV rights

19. By MJM on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

JF64… Oh Shotty is the one to “shift” the Jets into a post-60’s O… Then back out of it, then back into it, then shift to a… There is no time for all of Shotty’s gimicks in the 2 Min; hence, it works. I’m anticipating another late 4th quarter win this week.

20. By THUNDER LIPS on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

anyone notice how bad we were on punts and kickoffs last game. we gave up a whole lot of yards. this has to be addressed as well. we can’t have teams starting on their 40 plus on every series. we got saved by a penalty on or two i think but for the most part we have been giving the other team great field position.

Randy do you know if Al Harris was picked up on waivers or in free agency. any interest in the guy Miami dropped. I still do not think Coleman is the answer and wilson is too Green (no pun intended).

PASS RUSH???? PASS RUSH??? Even Pace said it is nonexistent on the WFAN yesterday. Blitz is ineffective and just leaves us vunerable to pass attack. One word to describe this team “PREDICTABLE”. Get it straight

21. By Randy Lange on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Thunder Lips, it’s been reported that CB Al Harris’ agent said Harris has signed with Miami.

22. By scjoe on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

I will agree with Troy on stopping the talk. I was always of the opinion that the talk has little or no bearing on the outcome of the game, now, lately, I am not so sure. To me, it looks as though even the officials are getting into it. I would also say, maybe it is time we stop deferring when winning the opening coin toss. Lets put the offense out there and at least try to start fast, you know, like the Lions did Sunday after we deferred. I think that is especially true on the road, try and take the crowd away early, not the opposite.

23. By scjoe on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Well, interesting news out of Miami, Chad Pennington has been declared the starter beginning this week. It is good to know that there are some coaches and coaching staffs out there who are willing to admit mistakes and actually ride with that old cliche “it gives us the best chance to win” politics, egos, and draft status aside, lest go with what gives us the best chance to win. Don’t read between the lines now, on this current Jets team there is not another QB on the roster “who gives us the best chance to win” in my opinion anyway. Chad Pennington would have been that guy!

24. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

I’ve sure noticed the rules on hits coming this year, MJV, and if Goodell really cared about the players he’d never propose 18 regular-season games. MJM, ya dance with who brung ya and right now all we’ve got is Schotty and Rex. So while I still don’t like Schotty for the Jets, I’ll take him over Rex’s 1940s “I’d just run the ball” stuff. I don’t think Rex would be raving about Holmes and Edwards like he is this week if Schotty hadn’t tried to turn those guys loose. scjoe, I’m down with Rex talking less and coaching more but I don’t quite see your point on Chad starting. If MIA’s really giving up on Henne that’s disastrous, Chad’s not their future and he’s not likely to throw to Marshall better than Henne can.

25. By Steve From Lindenhurst on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

To all Jets fans who know: The only thing we have gauranteed in the first half of this season is 6-10. As a Jet fan for 37 years, I know that this could all explode in our faces in a month. Very cute for Rex to poke fun at his brother…now can we go out and play to our potential please???

26. By Ray on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Steve from Lindenhurst I don’t care if you want to continue to be the fatalistic Jets fan, but at least get it right. They are GUARANTEED to be NO WORSE than 6-10. If we’re guaranteed to be 6-10 you are going on record here guaranteeing they are going to lose the rest of the games this year.