• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00PM - 8:30PM EDT Live JTL Schedule Special Complete analysis on the Jets 2014 schedule, including interviews with head coach Rex Ryan, wide receiver Eric Decker and ESPN national correspondent Sal Paolantonio.
  • Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

CHREBET: The Stars Were Aligned

Posted by Wayne Chrebet on November 11, 2010 – 9:22 am

Wayne Chrebet’s 10th blog of the season for newyorkjets.com:

Well, that was exciting. In that last quarter, I can’t lie, I was thinking to myself, “Do we have enough time to come back and win the game?” Well, we found out. The Jets played some serious football in the fourth quarter. Ugly game. When you can overcome five fumbles, an interception and 11 penalties for 99 yards, it’s a good win.

Like the stars were aligned, things just worked out. Everything that needed to happen, happened. Some clutch catches. LT being able to get out of bounds and drawing a 15-yard personal foul penalty. Seriously. I wasn’t on the field but you know LT has to go out of bounds. He’s not lowering his shoulder. Why hit him? Bad play. Very fortunate for the Jets. Sometimes you need things like that to happen. Like I said, the stars were aligned Sunday afternoon in Detroit.

Not that I believe in astrology. I don’t. Trust me. But I did check my horoscope today. To sum up: My professional life will be good and someone unusual will charm me. (Not sure what that means but the lady behind the counter at Dunkin Donuts did give me the eye.) It ends with, and I quote, “You will be tormented, melancholy, menaced, overwhelmed by an inexplicable dark feeling that something awful is going to happen”. Good Lord, I hope not! I don’t think many of you will be interested in my personal life. I just found it comical. To get back to the point I was trying to make, there is something special about this team. With the way that they have won some of these games, they have some great karma going on. Terrible paragraph this is, but I found it humorous. Don’t kill me in the responses, just trying to brighten your day with my potentially doomed future.

So 6-2. On to Cleveland. If the Lions were the best 2-5 team in the NFL going into last week’s game, then the Browns are the best 3-5 team that there is in the league. They are playing very good football right now against some pretty good teams. They’ve beaten the Saints (in New Orleans no less) and beat the Patriots by 20 last week in Cleveland. That’s a good old-fashioned beatdown.

I saw some highlights. This running back that they have, Peyton Hillis, is really impressive. This is his third year out of Arkansas. Can’t say that I’ve seen him play before. He ran for 184 yards this past week vs. the Patriots. He’s no one-hit wonder. He also ran for 144 yards at Baltimore earlier in the year. This kid runs hard, really hard. He’s a bull. One stat that I saw, though, was that he has fumbled four times and lost three of them. Hopefully we can get one of those.

All around they have a very solid group that plays smart. Rookie QB Colt McCoy is another big reason for the turnaround the last two weeks. I watched him a lot when he played last year at Texas. That kid is a winner. Not the biggest, but still can be a special QB in the league if he is put in the right situation. He has that right now. I don’t think he’ll throw for 300 yards, but he can beat you playing within himself and he is a very good runner. I’m looking forward to see how he fares against the Jets defense this week.

I think that it will be a great game. Tough place to play with a young, smart team that has really turned their season around and is playing like they have nothing to lose. Very dangerous, just like a lot of other teams that we’ve played. The Jets play their best and they’ll be coming home 7-2. Back in the Meadowlands. Right where they want to be.

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 40 Comments »

40 Responses to “CHREBET: The Stars Were Aligned”

1. By Joe Cosentino on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Wayne
    I enjoy your Blog and I was a great fan of yours.
    I really didn’t think we could pull this one out. My wife always tells me that I am too hard on our team. But, I ‘ve been a fan since the Jets were the Titans and I went to games at the Polo grounds. I also worked right next to Hofstra and would go to see Jets practice.
    Looking forward to your next insight.
    Ocala Joe

2. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

All very smart stuff, Wayne, I think especially the remarks on McCoy “playing within himself.” Most painful part of your column for me, though, is easily the reference to Dunkin Donuts, which for some reason we still don’t have in L.A. yet. Don’t have White Castle either, of course, but I’ve decided that’s a lost cause in this most politically correct part of what’s actually a rather traditional state. “Who Are the Food Police?,” to paraphrase the late, great, politically incorrect Frank Zappa. If I had Sanchez’s salary, I wouldn’t bring the receivers to L.A. next year, I’d just buy the Castle on Bell Boulevard in Bayside lock, stock, and barrel and move it to the San Fernando Valley.

3. By IRA on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,
    Thats right sometimes its just your day. Still those last three possessions were very good and hope they can build on them.
    Nobody knew of Hillis because he was #3 @ Arkansas behind McFadden and Jones. many of the Jets are well aware of him from that 08 game when he ran all over them for 22- 129 yds and a TD. Sure Harris will remind everybody. No lowering the shoulder and trying to knock him dowm. You must wrap him up and gang tackle him to bring him down. Glad he tore up the Pats and they saw him play that way on film. They better shadow him because he has 30 catches too.

4. By charliejet on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

word to the wise…………………….

ONE GAME AT A TIME.

Don’t take Cleveland too lightly -

GO JETS J.E.T.S. JETS JETS JETS.

5. By scjoe on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Problem is Wayne, the stars are not aligned every week! I hope Rex is not looking at the Browns as just a 3-5 team, because they are much better then that, I think they proved that over the last 2-3 weeks. Factor in the familiarity of the offense by Mangini, and this could be a long day for Sanchez and the offense. I think everybody knows by now that opposing teams are geared up to stop the run, it is time for both Rex and Shotty to show a different look, forget the phrase “we are a ground and pound team”, take a look at some of the WRs in this offense and then reevaluate that thought process.

6. By scjoe on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

64tom, I was a frequent customer at that White Castle on Bell and Northern Blvd in Bayside back in the day. We would go in there with five or six and buy them by the dozens, then hit the Bay Terrace theatre. Those was the good ol days!

7. By nytitan on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

After Denver and Detroit I don’t think Rex and his staff are taking anyone lightly. I think we will come out firing on all cylinders, score early and make the rookie qb try and beat us. IT’S TIME !

8. By billy lamachine hayes on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

the woman at dunkin donuts was hittin on you?was it the woman that looks like yogi berra wayne? HAPPY VETERANS DAY to WAYNE CHREBET SR. and to the rest of my brothers and sisters that served our great country.it was an honor to fight side by side with my army and marine brothers.and thanks air force for delivering our mail to middle east.its because of the U.S.military we can play n watch football.if it wasnt for our veterans,we would all be speaking german today.LET FREEDOM RING!!!GOD BLESS THE JETS! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!great job wayne!! we’ll get that yogi berra looking woman at DD some teeth this week and u’ll be all set.J E T S JETS JETS JETS

9. By Tank on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Wayne- Great Post. We caught alot of breaks last week including Schwartz throwing the ball on 3rd and 6 with the techincally 3rd String QB in the game. Also who could forgot putting Suh out there for Extra Point instead of having the Punter attempt it or at least go for 2. Listen we got the job done in the end but we have plenty to work on before Sunday. We all know they will play there butts off for Eric Mangini , Rob Ryan,and Brian Doball. I dont envision this game close though I really dont all we have to do is Stop Hillis and rattle the rookie. With that being said, Lets go Jets and I look foward to seeing your blog next week Wayne.

10. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

scjoe, I remember when burgers at that Castle were 7 cents. I remember going there in the summer of ’66 when I was a little kid, the Byrds’ “Mr. Spaceman” jingle-jangling in my head, and I had about 50 cents and was still able to get a few burgers, fries, and a drink. Is V.I.P. pizza still there on Bell? Te-Amo cigars on Northern, where we’d go to get the early sports edition of the Post? Didn’t the Bay Terrace become, like, eight theaters? Still remember the night I saw DELIVERANCE there as a teenager and everybody left the theater buzzing. Randy, if this is too much District 26 (Little Neck/Douglaston/Bayside) inside baseball, please feel free to forward it to scjoe privately or give him my email address or whatever you have to do.

11. By Ryan on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Hey Wayne. I am an huge fan of the blog. I check the site everyday in hopes you added a post.

The Jets really pulled one out on that sunday afternoon. I think you’re right about the stars being alined cause it seemed the Jets couldn’t lose that game if they tried (which is seemed like they were doing). I hope Rex has some tricks up his sleeve to beat that brother of his and the rising Browns.

Look forward to your next post, lets all hope is regarding the Jets win.

12. By michael deanzeris on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Wayne
    Enjoyed your comments. Also enjoyed watching you play. Season ticket holder for 45 years. Teams that win games like this shows that they have karma. Just like the year we met DEnver in the championship. You were a tough player, much like this team.

13. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Amen, Billy, and thanks a million for your service!

14. By Ed in Tucson on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

A friend just told me that Chad Pennington will be starting for the Phins on Sunday. Can that be true? My friend claims that the talking heads on ESPN were saying that CP is better at throwing the long ball & more mobile than Henne. How can anybody make that statement? The Jets let CP go precisely because he could NOT throw the long ball & was not very mobile. Is my friend pulling my leg?

15. By Arte Old School on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

You said it! KARMA RULES!! See YOU in Dallas :-) 13-3 baby!! Best Record EVER!!!

16. By Ray on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

This game comes down to two things and they are the most obvious. Stop Hillis and don’t let McCoy get outside the pocket and create. If we don’t let them run, they have no receivers to speak of that can do any damage like Burleson did and that was because he was the #3 receiver. Ben Watson is having a good year so if I double team anyone it would be him.
    On a side note, Miami naming Pennington the starter is a great move to try and save their season and I won’t be surprised if they don’t go on a bit of a streak. I think they would have done it last week but they know Baltimore owns him. But then what do they do after this year? I am so glad we didn’t draft Henne…

17. By Luke A. on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Wayne. great comments. You are one of my favorite players to play for the Jets. Loved your scrappy play, determination, and love for the game. They had me sweating last game but when they pulled that win off I was going crazy. The kids in my dorm heard me from down the hall. I feel like if the offense could continue playing like they did on the last two drives of the game, and the defense continues to be tough, we could get this win against Cleveland

18. By scjoe on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

yes 64tom, the Bay Terrace is now “at least” an eight movie theatre., that and the Meadows on 188th. st. were my two favorites back then. Not sure about VIP pizza, but the Safeway station directly across Northern from the White Castle has been long gone. As for our Jets this week? It is going to be tough, I do not have a good feeling about this game. Now, if the Jets were to come out on fire and play the way they are capable of playing it should be a nolo contendere! Go Jets!!!!!

19. By IRA on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Tom,
    Hey now i am going to sound like my father. But back in 67 or so i use to go to the old MSG and with my school GO Card you could get a ticket behind the basket for .50 thats right 50 cents. And of course Jets tixs were like 6.00 a piece. Man i miss the good old days.

20. By GaryC on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

jet fan tom and scjoe, you guys bringing back the memories of white castle brings me to the one on 43 and queens blvd in woodside.started going to that one in 66 with my grandpa and the girls would bring the food to the car.times change and not necessarily for the better.

21. By 37 year fan on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Best White Castle was definately off Queens Blvd across from queens center mall . I caught my aunt had devoured 12 white castles in the lobby of our building , the empty boxes evidence were there , I counted ‘em . As far as Cleveland ,…shut down their running game and they’re finished . Might keep a spy on that little scrappy QB , he has been bootlegging it .

22. By charliejet on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Gentlemen, gentlemen , (’64 tom, scjoe, IRA)

I’m a BAYSIDE man myself anybody remember the Bluebay Diner on FRANCIS LEWIS BLVD Just off the LIE. White castle – my father bought them home by the bag full. Lived on Francis Lewis Blvd not too far from the 64-65 World’s Fair
    Remember that 64′Tom, IRA, scjoe, is that Fresh Meadows movie theater saw my first James Bond Movie Goldfinger.

ANYWAY GO JETS!!! ONE GAME AT A TIME.

23. By scjoe on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Nothing like a bit of nostalgia and a few good old Jet fans!!! Right Tom, Ira, and GaryC? Ray, the Browns may not have top notch receivers, but watch out for Watson, especially matched up against our safeties.

24. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

As a kid I saw every Bond movie at the Meadows, scjoe, and then as a bigger kid every Woody Allen movie (and then when not a kid, LAST TANGO IN PARIS). Stood on that corner waiting for the 17A in freezing cold weather many times, too. I still have nightmares of getting stuck on Hillside and 169th in the snow when the buses couldn’t make it up the hill. Ira, I haven’t heard of GO cards in decades! I remember going to the NIT at MSG in the late ’60s for not much more than 50 cents. When my dad bought Jets seasons seats at Shea in ’64, orange section on the 50, they were $3.50. And Gary, that was a good Castle in Woodside, I used to stop there sometimes while walking to the LIRR. Can’t remember when they phased out the girls.

25. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

I’ll get onto the Browns WRs in a second, scjoe, but first charliejet, who could forget the Bluebay as in, “Let’s cut first period and go to the Bluebay for breakfast.” When I first started to notice girls as a very small boy, I remember being amazed that Francis Lewis Boulevard was said to be near…where the Shangri-Las grew up! (The Weiss sisters were the hotties, of course.) Your aunt’s a real New Yorker, 37, scarfing down Castles that way. On to the Browns:Tough on them to lose the promising Massaquoi and Browns fans tell me Robiskie’s their Gholston, but I’d watch out for Stuckey, who I still think may turn into a solid starter someday. McCoy hasn’t shown much in the way of throwing yet so I better not see him making any 3rd and 15′s.

26. By Bob (Scrappy) Muldoon on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, as usual great insight. Not a big believer in astronomy myself, but both Husk and I high fived a lot of brews in that fourth quarter. We both remembered a game against Waltoona when suddenly the clouds opened to a Harvest Moon. We came back big in the fourth too. Jets need to bring a zone wing defense against the Browns. Sanchez is looking good. Reminds me of Swivel Hips Joe Maguire from the original State team…God Bless…Scrappy.

27. By 37 year fan on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

64 Tom , Yeah , good people . My Aunts’ claim was she hadn’t eaten anything all day , and she was travelling back home to NY for the holidays. And waiting for us in the lobby . It looked like several trips to White Castle to me ?

28. By HUSK SPITOON on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

WAYNE, Remember when you and Al Toon made plays like Holmes & Edwards
    did. Without the great hands they had late in the game we might be 5 &3.
    My two favorite wide receivers Chrebetoon and Al Toon.
    You guys could be my cousins, GET IT SPITOON.
    Go JETS JETS JETS>

29. By Tom Stapleton on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

Wayne your the best man I’m sure you heard it a billion times but every time I need to get pumped or inspired I read your book your a walking inspiration and every one that steps on that football field should play the way u did!!!! J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!!

30. By Megan on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

Well said Wayne! I really enjoy reading your blog and opinions each week. It’s great that you still support your team and that you are still considered family at the Meadowlands.

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!

31. By Lance J on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

Wayne
    Good commentary and always enjoy your insight. The concern I have right now is the Jets have not played a complete game in over a month. Great that they pulled out victories over Denver and Detroit but this type of play with the penalties, fumbles and undisciplined play is going to hurt the team down the road. Road games in Pitt and NE and home games vs desperate teams in Houston, Miami and Cincinnati that will need to save their seasons. We are in great shape but I would hate the team to lose games that they should win based on our talent level. Cleveland will not be easy as they are playing with confidence right now. I feel a hard fought 27-17 victory for the Jets though. 7-2 and it will prepare them for the stretch run.

32. By scjoe on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

charliejet, 64tom, yea, I remember the Blue Bay well, but my favorite was the Northern Cross on Francis Lewis and Northern, (now the Northern diner) we would meet up there on Fridays at midnight for burgers and home fries, great memories. A few other Bayside/Flushing establishments…RKO theatre, Lums on Northern Blvd, and of course the Villa Bianca also on Northern.

33. By Eddie Thomas Santillan on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

3rd and Chrebet….favorite Jet of all time!

34. By Gmany3k on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

Pennington would do well with our current Roster. He will do well on Sunday also.

35. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

Northern Cross was awesome, scjoe, lots of hot chicks late at night on weekends and who can forget the RKO? Lums, wow, haven’t been there since, like, ’62, what is it now, a Panda Express? Villa Bianca on Northern was cool, too, but that reminds me of…Freedomland! Okay, this must be boring non-five boroughs folks, so I’ll say that I like Rex sounding better about Wilson and I really like hearing the players say they’re tired of dogging it for three quarters. We gotta start getting out ahead of teams if we’re gonna beat PIT, NE, and MIA and go somewhere in the playoffs.

36. By tommy Jco on Nov 13, 2010 | Reply

my man there’s a job in the booth . into it? to much talent and insight whats it gonna be coaching or talking head! the choice is yours always your and jets bigest fanatic tommy/j-co

37. By Bob (Scrappy) Muldoon on Nov 13, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,
    We can’t pay attention to the Akies from Akron this week. Those fedusia’s can scream all they want, but me and Husk will be there to shout them down. Even with Husk’s herniated ankle, I’ll be on his shoulders. We’ll also remind the city that the JETS never pulled a midnight move to another city. It;s not American to do that…kinda like a dine and dash if you will. My cousin Fred “The Big Trap” Muldoon is a priest on Dublin and has his parish rooting every week for the JETS! …we need #80…God bless…Scrappy.

38. By Bleeds green and white on Nov 13, 2010 | Reply

Great post, Wayne. Your comments are always insightful and entertaining.

I have to say that I’m sorely disappointed in the Jets fans at the Packers game. True it was an ugly and uninspiring game, but it was so quiet in the stadium that you could hear a pin drop, and we were only behind 3-0 most of the game. We had no 12th man. By contrast, I watched the Giants at Seattle game, and even though they were down 35-0 they were making a ton of noise. We need to do better and follow their example.

I always felt Pennington got a bum rap about his arm. I’ve seen him throw plenty of long balls when he played with us – for completions, no less. He was a great QB for us, and he’s going to do fine on Sunday for the Phins.

39. By billy lamachine hayes on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

to ’64 tom THANK YOU TOM THANK YOU

40. By Tom Stapleton on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

With cotchery out the Jets should resign coles! He would be a a great 3rd down type WR the guy can still play!!!