• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show co-hosted by Jeane Coakley and Brian Custer with analysts Ray Lucas and Erik Coleman, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 15, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Turner Made the Rounds in Win over Browns

Posted by Eric Allen on November 16, 2010 – 7:51 am

Rob Turner was used all over the field against the Browns. He filled in for Matt Slauson when the LG went down with a knee injury in the second half, he continues to have a big role on special teams, and he even got snaps on goal-line defense.

“I played on offense, special teams and defense yesterday. I know what to do when they put me in a situation and they know I’m going to go 100 miles an hour to get there,” Turner said Monday. “I may not always win. I may not be the best athlete or person per se at one position, but they know I am going to do everything I can to play like a Jet and get the job done and help us win.”

Turner, listed at 6’4” and 308 pounds, saw a lot of Browns NT Shaun Rogers when he replaced Slauson. There aren’t many players in the league bigger than Rogers, listed at 6’4″ and 350, so it was quite the challenge.

“I’m not used to giving up 100 pounds to a guy. He’s a strong guy. I played well,” said the versatile Turner, who also backs up Nick Mangold at center. “Obviously there is stuff I want to improve on, stuff I’m not necessarily satisfied with. But I didn’t give up a sack, he didn’t make a tackle. He grabbed a hold of Mark once and I was able to knock him off and Mark stepped up. I would say it’s a win but obviously there is stuff I want to improve on.”

A feisty competitor, Turner has at times been inserted into the Jets’ goal-line defense along with OL Wayne Hunter. He loves the trench action, but unfortunately he got a shot in on a teammate at one point.

“They dumped the ball off in the flat and we had one or two guys miss a tackle. Everybody rallied to the ball and Wayne and I got in on the play, but there were about six white jerseys and the one guy with the ball,” he said. “I decleated Jim Leonhard trying to knock the pile off, so friendly fire happens sometimes.”

The 26-year-old Turner, an undrafted free agent out of New Mexico who originally signed with the Jets back on May 16, 2007, played some defense during his college days.

“I played a little bit of goal-line defense in college. It was the same kind of deal, go in the A-gap, penetrate it, hold up. If a direct run comes at you, obviously you want to tackle the ballcarrier or strip out or something like that,” he said. “It’s really to penetrate and manipulate guys and hold them off so your playmakers can make plays. That’s why they brought Bart [Scott] in, that’s why Dave [Harris] is one of the best linebackers in the league — because they make plays.”

Tags: , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 28 Comments »

28 Responses to “Turner Made the Rounds in Win over Browns”

1. By Pranit on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Rob turner is a nice to have player…he is solid and a keeper…

2. By IRA on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

EA, Yes Turner had his hands full with Rogers and held his own. Hunter and Turner also got a few plays in on D in Detroit. I can’t think of a player in recent times besides maybe Hester who might have got reps on all the units like Turner has. Do you know of any?

3. By Tom Spicer on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

For anyone that has NFL network tonight at 9 pm eastern time they are replaying the Jet game vs the Browns. If you happen to watch it again I want you to see that at least a half a dozen times either a blizter or just a D lineman gets pressure on Mark & he scrambles away from it. At least 3 of those 6 times he gets hit & either spins out of the tackle or brushes the guy off & makes something out of nothing. Marks scrambling ability is a weapon that must be accounted for I think he (next to Mike Vick) the 2nd most agile QB in the NFL at worst the 4th. His ability to throw on the run reminds me of a young Jeff Garcia or a young Mark Brunell

4. By scjoe on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

I think every team should have a Turner type on the roster. A guy who gives his all anywhere the coaching staff lines him up, a guy who can back up at multiple positions and is selfless. It’s good to mention guys like this in your posts Randy. As for locking up with Rogers, a lot of players around the league have their hands full with him. Spicer, no sarcasm meant, but while you watch the replay tonight note how far under thrown that pass was to Edwards that was intercepted, a more accurate pass is a sure TD.

5. By GaryC on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Tom Spicer, will be watching the replay seeing that I cancelled my football ticket this year.I believe the football network only shows about an hour and a half of the game.probably will pay more attention to the defensive side of the ball.

6. By Tom Spicer on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

GARY C, If you watch it you will be able to watch the whole game they take it & remove alot the the breaks & show every play in a hour & a half

7. By Ray on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Spicer please…. your man crush on Sanchez is bordering on embarrassing…. While Sanchez showed great escapability in that game, putting him in the same league as Vick is bordering on LaLa land. If he’s the 2nd most agile qb in the NFL that doesn’t speak highly of the agility of the qb’s in the NFL right now.

8. By Christopher on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

GaryC, I too cancelled my football ticket this year (Direct TV monoploy), but I’ve been able to watch every game live on the web. I’m afraid if I try to post the link I use to watch games my post would not get through. Another option, although you have to pay for it (right now it is $25), but the NFL Game Rewind is excellent. It shows every second of the game without the commercial breaks, I highly recommend it. You also get access to previous year’s games too. I use my laptop with a cable to my TV, full screen, great picture.

9. By Christopher on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

I should mention that the NFL Game Rewind is not live, you can only access it after the games are over.

10. By dave on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

eric, by my rough estimate- jets have 16 or 17 1st round draft choices on the roster- i am curious how many the pats, steelers, dolphins, ravens have, (but the rob turners of the world are the glue that cements the team)

11. By scjoe on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Gary, the NFL network usually shows the whole game, less some of the commercials, but you wont see all the camera angles on every play.

12. By BLINKA posts, no one heeds on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Everyone on the radio with an opinion calls the Jets pass rush terrible. I been writing this here since ol’ 54 hung it up. But no one heeds, cares or responds.

No team should be conserned with the Jets D-line.
    Randy? anybody? Not even Ira responds.
    Jeesh, what’s this blog becoming!

13. By Christopher on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

scjoe, that is where nfl game replay differs, it shows the entire broadcast. I tried to post the link to the other site I use to watch the game live, but it was axed.

14. By GaryC on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

to all the posts, thanks for the suggestions, being ex new yorker living out here in hoosierland can be exasperating, you can only look at peyton manning for so long on every commercial and they mention eli alot to because he is peytons brother.

15. By Tom Spicer on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Ray, I was not comparing him to Vick I was comparing him to the other QB’s in the NFL besides Vick. Yes there arent really any scrambling QB’S in the NFL currently the only other guys I could think of were Young & Garrard. But if you remember Mark’s touchdown run during the Brown game or his touchdown run last year when he ran over the DB from the Titans on the goal line. There are mabye 5 QB’S in the NFL that can make that play. Also try to bring something football wise to the table instead of just trying to insult people. You make yourself look bad.

16. By 37 year fan on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

I completely agree with Tom Spicer , I have noticed similarities between Sanchez and Vick in their scrambling …I Tivoed the whole game ,…as I always do , every game …. I’m a freak …. Tivo is great for the Jets because I can stop and replay live action and see who is missing blocks . Who is blowing people up , every detail .

17. By 37 year fan on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Turners’ ” The Bomb ” when is he going to come out and start kicking our field goals ?

18. By 37 year fan on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

I take back everything I said about ” The Brick ” ….He was playing great … I was just watching the replay , I don’t know what I was seeing Sunday ,it seemed like he was tired , but aftert watching the game again I can see why , He was workin’ his butt off .

19. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Turner’s been huge this year. And as for those who want to cut McKnight because he hasn’t been active much or don’t think Wilson has shown enough yet, we had a rookie last year who was mostly inactive. He didn’t show that much, either. His name was Matt Slauson.

20. By nyjetsholdupsbtrophyin2010 on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

It’s time to start building some confidence in playing in the New Bldg ,It is a formidable asset to be so good on the road ,but getting someone like Indy or NE,away from home in the playoffs is what its going to take to get to the Bowl..but outside of the 2nd half Vs NE ,and the 1st half Vs Minn,we’ve stunk up the new joint,I dont know why but it needs to start this week ,Houston is a bad Road team ,but they are playing for there playoff lifes ,lets not get outworked and outfocused like we did Vs GB or they will kick our tails, they can move they ball,just cant stop it,so we should have big day out of our QB in the passing game,we’ve learned how to win on the road ,now lets beat down teams we should beat down at Home,make it a true ADVTG

21. By GaryC on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

saw the replay of game last night. sanchez needs to check his ancestoral tree,he might somehow be related to Harry Houdini.a couple of times when shaun rogers was coming toward him it had the makings of Haystacks Calhoun giving the splash to sky lo lo. wrestling fans will get my drift.I believe the best pass considering sanchez’s development when he hit Greene,just before he ran in for touchdown.He never looked at Greene until last minute and it gave greene an extra five yards of running space.

22. By Too Kool on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

GaryC- great point about Mark, but I liked the throw to JCo where he hurt his groin even better 3rd and 8 I believe, Mark runs left and throws right, fitting it in past the d-back to a diving JCo. Also, to scjoe, that ball was not underthrown, Mark stated in a presser that Schotty told him beforehand if he had nothing, to push it down there like a punt, and it was perfectly executed. They were hoping for Edwards to win a jump ball or get interfernece penalty. Throwing deep to Edwards wasn’t in the cards as Browns were not allowing Edwards anything over the top all day.

23. By Ray on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Spicer I bring football related stuff to the table all the time, it just happens to be even handed. You on the other hand have a problem bringing anything but kudos on here for Sanchez. So when it gets out of hand I point out that you are going overboard. Most of the time I agree with your posts, but you don’t have an even keel when it comes to the golden boy. I think last week when you said he had accuracy problems was the first time I ever read you say anything resembling a criticism.
    BTW our franchise qb lowering his head at the goal line like he did against Tenn. might have looked good, but it was hardly an “athletic” maneuver (I can think of severl qbs with the size and skill to do the same thing), and stupid on top of that.

24. By Mike Jet Vet on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Blinka your kidding right I’ve be going on about our lack of pass rush almost evey other post in hopes of someone of substance and pull would hear me,, your not alone.. Tom 64 comparing slauson situation to this years rookies McKnight and Wilson are like comparing apples and oranges Slauson earned his spot they haven’t I swear I believe some1 kidnaped the real Tom 64 and slipped you in his place whats up with you man ? have you been cloned

25. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

MJV, the point was nobody gave Slauson, a 6th-round pick, a chance to do anything last year and he’s doing pretty good this year. Let’s see what Wilson and McKnight, a 1st and a 4th-round pick, do next year before panicking. Agree with you about the pass rush, though, I’d pick two DLs next year.

26. By scjoe on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

64tom/MJV I agree and have mentioned about the pass rush, or lack there of, often. I think in reality, the defense is down a notch from last season, and so far, the offense is up a notch from last season, and as I have said before, this is a “good” team, not a great one. I think it is just human nature to complain now and then (ok, maybe we all go over board just a little:-) but a lot of teams out there would love to be in our position. By the way tom, I think a great safety in the middle of the field would go a long way in not exposing the lack of a pass rush. So I would say DE/Safety 1&2 in either order for 2011.

27. By Mike Jet Vet on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

Tom64 I have to agree to disagree if you go back to one of my very 1st posts during traning camp when everyone was upset about the loss of A-Fanaca I said not a problem Slauson and Turner filled in very well the season be4 and one will step right in and take over with Slauson having the edge .. Same as the point I made to you about maybe we can get our $$$ worth from McKnight in giving him some snaps and see what he’s got but as usual it went on deaf ears till Ira brought it up last week GO JETS

28. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Personally, I agree with you about seeing what McKnight can do, MJV, but Rex and Schotty don’t seem to. In fact, sometimes I don’t think they even want to see Greene on the field that much. I definitely think we’re working LT too hard too early. scjoe, I can see us taking two of each at DL and S if things don’t tighten up on D. I read what Rex said about missed assignments among the DBs but I’m really starting to wonder if Leonhard wouldn’t be better in only certain packages instead of struggling with these bigger guys week after week.