• Sun., Apr. 20, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

CHREBET: Browns, Texans, Military Appreciation

Posted by Wayne Chrebet on November 18, 2010 – 9:06 am

Wayne Chrebet’s 11th blog of the season for newyorkjets.com:

Another game. Another nail-biting victory. A game with some of the Jets’ best plays of the year.

Before I get into that — Sunday is the 11th annual Military Appreciation Day at the stadium. It’s to salute the men and women who serve our country. This is a day that I will not miss. I am proud to say that my father was in the Army and fought in the Vietnam War. He’ll be there right beside me. When I’m out with my family and we see a soldier, my kids like to go up to them and say “Thank you for serving our country.” Makes me proud that they like to do that. My boys are 6 and 8 and they already understand the significance of our Armed Forces.

Now my favorite part of the day. Out of all the things that I experienced in my NFL career, this is what got me the most fired up before a game. The flyover. Sunday an F-16 will fly by the stadium and the Army Knights will parachute down to the field. It’s worth getting to the stadium a little early to check it out. When those planes go over, I used to get chills up my spine. As a matter of fact, when the team honored me two years ago, they knew how I felt about this and presented me with a blown-up picture of three military choppers hovering over the stadium. Very thankful for that.

This past week’s game wasn’t the prettiest game to watch. Definitely edge-of-your-seat exciting. Here’s the important fact — they won the game. They dug deep and made the plays that needed to be made at the right times. I’m sure everyone would like to see a blowout win very week but games like this will only serve them better going forward.

Here’s a statistic: The Jets offense ran 97 plays. I’ve never heard of that before. Yes, there wasn’t a lot of scoring from the offense, but they moved the ball up and down the field. Tough situation kicking a field goal in that stadium, but if you’re going to go deep in the playoffs, they need to be made. Especially the chip shots.

Jerricho Cotchery. He did something that I haven’t seen before. He made the catch of the year in this game. When I saw it live I was like “Wow, what a great catch.” Then I saw the replay. The guy tears his groin, hops on one foot, then dives for a ball and makes the catch. Take it from me, the toughest catch is the one when the ball has already passed your body. Even harder is tucking the ball into your body before you hit the ground. Sick catch.

It was all made possible by Sanchez being able to get away from the Cleveland defenders and buying the receivers more time. He’s really getting good with his escapability. I’m pretty sure that’s a word. Santonio obviously made an outstanding catch. He really is a great addition to the offense.

The Houston Texans are coming to town this week. Here’s the breakdown. Defensively, they gave up almost 500 yards to the Jaguars this past week. They’re 32nd in yards given up per game, 31st in points allowed. Not very good. Actually pretty terrible. I can say that because I don’t have to go on the field this Sunday. On the offense, they can put up some points. They’re 10th in points per game scored with 24. Best player? Receiver Andre Johnson. Top-tier receiver, big guy. Great matchup with Revis. Will be fun to watch. This could be a shootout.

Either way, the Jets are the better team and playing with a lot of confidence. And it’s good to be home.

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 19 Comments »

19 Responses to “CHREBET: Browns, Texans, Military Appreciation”

1. By Gmany3k on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

You would think based on Houston’s poor defensive stat s the we should score 100 points and based on our defense they should get a big fat Zero .tht would be true if we brought our A game , we know they will bring theirs.

2. By billy lamachine hayes on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

THANK YOU WAYNE!!youre always so humble and grateful,as is your dad, in a world filled with selfishness and greed.the military is the backbone of our freedom.its nice to see the jets honor the military on sunday.not only did you and amy make the best looking kids,they are well mannered and great kids!!direct result from great parents.back to football.lets make the texans look like they got hit f-16.beat in the trenches.beat with air strikes.hit em with everything.J-E-T-S. and what kind of name is cleveland browns? does browns mean LOSERRRR!!!! YOU DA MAN WAYNE!!!

3. By Wayne S on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Hey Wayne. Thanks again for your insight into the game. Cotchery catch was simply amazing. I have to say that I’ve seen you make a bunch of those catches throughout your Jet career. I reason why you are me and my son’s favorite all- time Jet. You were “tough as nails” and played the game with a “never say die” approach.

As for the game, once again we made it alot more difficult than we needed to after a total domination. I didn;t know the play count until after the game, only that we had the ball for 25 out of 30 minutes in the second half. Nick Folk, who’s been awesome had to at least make the 25 yarder but we all know that kickers can be streaky and obviously, conditions aside, should have made that chippy

Sanchez fell one

4. By Wayne S on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

cont’d

yard short of his 2nd consecutiver 300 yard game and is playing with poise and leadership. Awesome to see him coming together in the clutch and not with a moment to spare. Santionio made a great catch and run and is displaying the reason why we picked him up. PLEASE SIGN HIM AND BRAYLON TO AND EXTENSION.

5. By Steve on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

I always like reading Wayne’s articles, but I think there is something he missed about this weekends game. The Texans are coming off a huge loss, losing on a last second Hail Mary. That game put them at 4-5, I want to see how fired up they are. A lot of teams might be down after a tough loss like that, hopefully the Jets take advantage of that.

6. By nyjetsholdupsbtrophyin2010 on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

With them coming off that demoralizing (Hail Mary) Loss to JAX ,if we can get up early they should fold up pretty quick being that there confidence is shattered ,BUT ,if we make mistakes and keep them in the game that missing confidence will surely comeback and we’ll be in trouble ,there’s every opportunity to blow this one open early and put our foot on their throats..

7. By jeff on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

I completely agree with everything wayne said. I am an active duty Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune NC. It never gets old when people young and old thank you for your service. To be honest it is a privelege to serve our country. I am so happy to hear that one of my favorite Jets of all time is so humble and appriciative of military service. Semper Fidelis and Go Jets!!!

8. By HUSK SPITOON on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

WOW , 2 JET games in 5 days. I am ready for some BIg time OFFENSE and BIG D, this week. But Wayne did u know that Bob “Scrappy Muldoon”is no longer with us. whooosh.And who is this Billy La Machine guy anyway.
    Watch for him he knows too much!!!!! He must be a stalker or something!!!
    Go JETS JETS JETS!!!

9. By David on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Wayne I am a soldier in the US Army and it means a lot from a guy like you. As for the game im sure the boys are gonna bring it. I am stationed in Texas and we dont get many games on TV so i am happy to sit at my house instead of going out to watch this one! I hope they make it a good one!

10. By Mike C on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Wayne… If you see these comments, please know…
    I heartily enjoy reading your blogs… your insight regarding the games is priceless and I love hearing about your personal experiences. Glad to hear that you are a proud supporter of our military… all of us Americans owe so much to the military personnel and their families.
    I re-located to Alabama (from the Jersey Shore) several years ago… so it’s not as easy to get the full JETS experience… please keep on blogging.
    I still wear your No. 80 jersey out and about … down here in the Heart of Dixie.

11. By Steve K on Nov 18, 2010 | Reply

Great blog again Wayne, we’re huge fans of yours. I think you touched on this in a past blog, but the Jets offense hasn’t really clicked yet. They’ve had some good bursts of momentum, but haven’t had a whole game yet. If it happens this week they could put some points up against a Texans D with some problems.

12. By Hans on Nov 19, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, your articles never cease to amaze me with your insight. Makes me wish you were still playing. :( But oh well.

One thing to remember: Revis and Andre Johnson have matched up before and it didn’t end well for the speedy WR. I can easily see a repeat of that or even seeing him get lost within the maze known as AL-CRO-TRAZ. Great thing about having AC, Revis isn’t the only one covering big threats. Now let’s hope our guys get it done.

13. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 19, 2010 | Reply

Great stuff on all counts, Wayne, keep up the good work. And here’s a fitting post for a legendary WR’s column: Okay, MIA’s hurtin’ at QB (though Thigpen came on strong in the second half with KC in 2008, so you never know — he still throws better than Chad) and Marshall seems to be playing hurt. But as I predicted, he’s averaging a whopping 11.9 a catch — only a yard more than J-Co, our slot guy — while Holmes is at 16 and Edwards almost at 18. Like I said, we got the guys we needed, the deep-threat guys. MIA can have the guy who gets 200 yards on 21 receptions, which might be Chad’s dream of heaven but is my nightmare of hell.

14. By Bob (Scrappy) Muldoon on Nov 19, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, again, great insight. As a vet from the Korean war at the battle of Wanshoo Province I beleve that our defense back then resembles the Jets’ defense today. Our special teams are coming around like we did at State. With Thanksgiving around the corner, I’s like to wish everyone a great day. Husk and I can’t make the game because little Scrappy is having his large toe on his right foot operated on due to what they call balsta chronic malfunction. He should be alright….God Bless…Scrappy.

15. By Bob (Scrappy) Muldoon on Nov 19, 2010 | Reply

It appears that the fake Husk is back on the hootch. Must be drinking rubbing alcohol to defame a page like Wayne’s To think that I had Patty “Skyscraper” Gafarbowitz on my shoulders in Korea after he lost his foot to a land mine to protect and serve the likes of this phoney is amazing. We fought so he could be a free man, look at what he writes…no respect. To him I say…have another drink and respect the vets…you fraud.

16. By Jeff on Nov 19, 2010 | Reply

Hi Wayne,

Vietnam was a tough war not just only on the war front but also on the home front. Please thank your dad, for me, for his service to our country: The United States of America

17. By Walt on Nov 20, 2010 | Reply

I’m with you Wayne on the importance of the Military. My grandson joined the Coast Guard and he wants to make a career out of it. The CG doesn’t get the publicity the other armed forced do but they are important- They helped the people in Haiti and after Katrina they rescued thousands of stranded people. As far as ther Jets go- I don’t know if I agree with you that it’s good to be home. They have been winning all their road games- it started last year with he playoff run- These close games are hard to watch- but as long as they pull them out it is worth it. Lots of highs and lows with this team- thankfully more highs. I hope they score early and often to take some pressure off the defense.

18. By Kevin Swayne on Nov 20, 2010 | Reply

Wayne (Q),

This is your old teammate and friend Kevin Swayne. A friend of mine sent this blog to me as an email attachemt. I can’t believe I never knew Wayne Sr. was a purple heart recipient and served in Vietnaam. That tells me a lot about how you played the game. Much respect!

You may not know this, but in 2008, I accepted a commission as an Officer in the United States Air Force, and I just finished my second year of Active duty service. Currently, I am a First Lieutenant who has the privilidge of leading young Airmen everyday, who live for something greater than themselves. Without the sacrafices your Dad and those before him made, yours and my NFL dream would have never been possible. Thanks Wayne Sr…I salute you!

19. By Bob "Scrappy" Muldoon on Nov 21, 2010 | Reply

Kevin Swayne…you are a true American! Not many people would enlist when they didn’t have to. Husk and I joined up in ’51 to fight the red menace. We served proudly too at W State. Big reunion coming up for us from the war (thise who are still with us) at the Clocktower Hotel on Rockford Ill. You ahve an open invite. Arlene Dahl will be the guest speaker…God Bless, Scrappy.