• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00PM - 8:30PM EDT Live JTL Schedule Special Complete analysis on the Jets 2014 schedule, including interviews with head coach Rex Ryan, wide receiver Eric Decker and ESPN national correspondent Sal Paolantonio.
  • Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

CHREBET: No Doubt They’re Contenders

Posted by Wayne Chrebet on November 25, 2010 – 11:25 am

Wayne Chrebet’s 12th blog of the season for newyorkjets.com:

“Do you like apples? The Jets are 8-2. How do ya like them apples?” This is how the conversation with some naysayers has gone since the comeback win against the Texans this past Sunday. How is it possible that people still don’t believe that the Jets are one of the teams to beat? The knock is that they’re barely pulling these past few games out. That the comebacks are against subpar teams. They say that the team’s luck will end. I believe that luck is when preparation meets opportunity. And the Jets are always prepared for whatever has been thrown their way.

To be completely honest with you, I have had doubts at the end of some of these close games. It’s tough to get a good feel for the game when I’m not at the game. Fortunately I was at the game last week. Completely different story. As I mentioned in last week’s blog, I went to the game with my father because it was Military Appreciation Day. I decided to bring my two sons, Luke and Cade, too. I wanted them to experience a live game this year. For many reasons, it was a perfect day to take them.

It started by taking them on the field pregame to see what it was like for me when I played. They’re spoiled so our tickets were in an indoor/outdoor suite. Like I said last week, my favorite part of the day is the National Anthem followed by the F-16 flyover. Three jets side by side. It was deafening. Except for what I missed by getting up to get my youngest cookies (fun fun) the Jets were looking good. Good until Greene’s fumble. Up 13 with the ball and the clock running. All momentum was lost. In a blink of an eye they have the ball and first play they score a long touchdown. In that situation, there’s no excuse for that to happen.

It’s true. I’m not being hard on the guy. At that point in the game, you take the air out of the ball. Pound it down their throat, throw some high-percentage passes and keep the clock running. I wasn’t surprised at the first play the Texans called. We called it “sudden change.” Right after a turnover you take a shot for a big play. They called the right play against the right defense. The stadium got quiet real quick. Then they scored again with little time left. My son looked at me and asked me if they were going to lose. Why lie? I said that they might. Shame on me for having any doubt but realistically and statistically it wasn’t likely that they would recover from the change of events.

That’s why they’re a big contender to represent the AFC for the Super Bowl. They did it. For the people who left early, they missed one hell of a drive. Best word to describe Sanchez on that last drive — poised. No one panicked. Methodically they went down the field. The play that did it was the deep sideline pass to Braylon. Perfect throw, right in the dead zone between the cornerback and the safety. Great catch. Man, the place got loud in a hurry.

You know the rest. Santonio made a great catch, keeping his feet in bounds for the touchdown. Not sure if you saw the routes of the receivers. Schottenheimer made a great call to run that play. Jets win.

Santonio Holmes. He has made a huge impact for the team since after his four-game suspension was over. The fact that they traded for him knowing that he had to sit out the first four games will let you know how highly they regarded him. He was worth the wait.

Woody Johnson, Tannenbaum, Rex and the rest of the staff have made all the right moves in the past two offseasons to make this team what it is right now. Woody spent the money to bring in the right kind of players to the team. Trades up for Sanchez. Brings in Pace, Scott, Jenkins, Cromartie, Leonhard, Woody, Richardson, Braylon and a couple more. That and they kept the core together from the previous season. I know the fans give Woody a hard time, but I think it’s time to realize what a huge role he has had in making this team a serious contender this year and going forward.

Short week this week. Only five days between games. Tough, especially this time of year. This week, time was spent more in the classroom than on the field. What can I say about the Bengals? They’re 2-8, having lost seven in a row. They have as many reality stars as wins. Scary thought. I haven’t seen them play this year. It really looks like they are struggling on both sides of the ball. Really good chance of getting to 9-2 heading to New England to play for first place next week.

Happy Thanksgiving to everybody.

Tags: , , , , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 16 Comments »

16 Responses to “CHREBET: No Doubt They’re Contenders”

1. By dick nellis on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

I was also at the game with my daughter.Beind a JET fan for 45 years this has been an unbelievable season so far.The team has heart,they dont quit,and they have a coach they will go to the trenches with game after game.by the way i had my Chrebet jersey on.Just believe and watch this is the year.

2. By Mike Jet Vet on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Wayne looking forward to seeing both your boys in Jet uniforms one day ..I remember when I took my sons to games I sure do miss it they were good days indeed ..saddens me deeply how much has changed since, well at least I still have the memories, anyway enough of down memory lane, I feel the same way as you about the direction the team is headed flashes of greatness and then it happens poor clock management Sanchez over or under throwing wide open receivers for TD’s Folk missing 20 yard FG’s opposing QBs throwing all over our secondary like its 7on 7s or their receivers are wearing red shirts and even though I believe in them I’m going to hold up on the SB talk right now GO JETS

3. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Great stuff as usual, Wayne, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! Hey, the Pats are struggling to beat the Lions, 31-24 with a whole quarter to go. Looks like either the Lions we beat in OT are better than people think or NE ain’t all that, probably a little of both. Yeah, yeah, Ira, everybody’s gonna talk about Woodhead getting a new deal from the Pats, though I notice it wasn’t for much $ at all, but I still want somebody better than him as 3rd RB. And I don’t want anyone who can be brought down that easily. (Sorry to get you goin’ again, Ira and MJV.)

4. By Mike Jet Vet on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Off topic but here it is if ever there were a perfect motivation for this game tonight let’s have, no better yet( make )our Defence watch an episode of Tocho show as punishment for their horrible display of football last few weeks can 2 players be more full of turkey stuffing then these 2 clowns makes me want to suit up GO GET EM JETS

5. By scjoe on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Good points Wayne, but I still am of the opinion that you don’t pull those type games out against the elite teams in the league, of the 4 “pull outs” NONE came against good teams let alone elite teams. Hope it goes much better tonight so we can finally put that story to rest. It looks like the Lions team that came out in the first half were that same team that showed up for the Jet game, but I don’t know who that Lion team was that showed up in the 2nd half. Which proves two things, 1- you MUST play 60 min. 2- you can’t get away with those bonehead mistakes against the elite teams. Tonight, Jets 34 Bungles 10

6. By scjoe on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

64tom, just can’t agree with you re: Woodhead, he should have been a keeper, all he does now with the Pats is make plays. Why?? Because he was given the chance to. Fact is, he does it so well the Pats gave him an extension. He could have been that “non starter” who returns kicks, punts, and comes in to spell the 2 RBs we have now. Not to mention that guy we may need to play in the slot next year. Just not to many arguments against him still being here. It was not a question of either him or LT, SG, or even McKnight.

7. By Christopher on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

The problem with Woodhead that I have, is we release him and let the Patriots get him, that was the mistake. Sure he would not have hit the field much this year, if at all, but letting him go to a division opponent was a bad move. McKnight is finally making plays on ST and even saw Gholston making some plays, wow. Good win tonight, Defense finally got some picks, finally get a score from ST, and a safety. The missed FG was concerning, along with the lack of depth on kickoffs. Is Folk hurt? Would like to see the Jets put the game away, like the Pats did in the 4th qtr, we need to do that. We need TD’s when we get in the red zone, instead, especially early on, we are settling for FG attempts, it is going to cost us a game if that continues.

8. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

I wasn’t crazy about reactivating Clowney at Woodhead’s expense, scjoe, though Ira had a good point at the time about Clown being much more of a force at WR, as that was coming off the awful-on-O BAL game. As he showed tonight, Smith is the non-starter you’re talking about and as I said last year, I’d try him at RB before I’d let anyone else sign him. Anyway, we continue to show no interest in giving the ball to any 3rd RB and are still cautious on punts with just Leonhard and sometimes Wilson, so it adds up to no place this year for Woodhead. Once you’re into next year, it’s McKnight, another draft pick, or even another trade for someone like LT. And we’ll get a faster slot guy than Woodhead if J-Co isn’t back, which sure I hope he is.

9. By billy lamachine hayes on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

YES WAYNE!!i love apples.i love apple pie.i love homemade cinnamon ice cream.cheesecake,turkey,potatos,etc.couldnt stop eating,chef amy is GREATTTTT!!!!she can COOK!!!!!!HAPPY THANKSGIVING!what a day.great friends,food and football.I AM THE LUCKIEST MAN IN THE WORLD!TRULY BLESSED!i didnt thk jets would comeback,55 secs,no timeouts and needing a TD.didnt look good!sanchez was POISED and got it done.in week1,i thought the defense would be carrying this team.more than halfway through this season,its sanchez,holmes and offense thats carrying this team.i cant wait till the defense starts running on all cyliders!J-E-T-S.YOU DA MAN WAYNE!!!! THANK YOU!!HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! put 80 IN THE RING OF HONOR!!!!!!

10. By TEJ on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Wayne great points. However, did you catch the comments of Joe Theissmann last night. He was so anti-Jets that it became pathetic at one point. So much I turned the volume down. Who made him the greatest mind in football. The guy was so against the JETS that Matt Millen had to come in on the conversation and say the JETS were 8-2 for a reason. Theismann was all over Sanchez last night. He needs to realize this is his 2nd year and skies are the limit for Sanchez. Correct me if I’m wrong didn’t he start out in the Canadien Football League. I personally think that he is arrogant and upset he not in the HOF.

11. By PNB on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

That was a great comment about the bengals having as many reality stars as wins, I’m still cracking up. I completely agree that the Jets are responding very well to our coaching staff, especially because Rex puts himself on the line for each player on the team. If you have a coach willing to stick his neck out for you, you’re going to want to play each game with as much effort as him. I just love the chemistry we continue to show this season. I wish I could have been at the Thanksgiving Day game last night. My neighbors called with two tickets and a parking pass, but the family shot that down pretty quickly. I’m not too worried though, hopefully it won’t be long until I’m back at the stadium.

12. By Courtney C on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

That is so true. It is not the same old jets. and btw Jim Leonhard’s name has an “h” in it. Just saying :P

13. By James on Nov 27, 2010 | Reply

he only thing missing from the 2010 Jets is #80 Wayne Chrebet. Still my favorite Jet of all time!

14. By Walt on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

I need to up my blood pressure medication watching this team. Thankfully they are pulling these games out. You can’t leave early. I was leaving a game in 1986 against the Dolphins and the Jets started rallying- went back and sat in someone elses seats at the 50 yard line and watched a great 51-45 overtime game. Like you say-poised is the word. It will help in the playoffs.
    Since you wrote a good win against Cincy- that team is a mess. 9-2 going up to NE- The hype usually is better than the game-both teams have 11 days to prepare so there are no excuses. It should be fun.

15. By bestjets on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

thanks. great reporting. like you say, you had to be there, unlike so much of the second hand hearsay that goes on in nfl journalism.

16. By Gmany3k on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

Wayne I think we would like to hear your thoughts on Curtis Martin and his chances as a 1st ballot HOF’er . 4th has to count for something right?