• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 11:50 AM EST Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Herbie Teope of Chiefs Digest in Kansas City. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from Arrowhead Stadium.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Fri., Nov. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 08, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 10, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

CHREBET: The Game of the Year

Posted by Wayne Chrebet on December 2, 2010 – 10:12 am

Wayne Chrebet’s 13th blog of the season for newyorkjets.com:

What a great way to end Thanksgiving. Some pumpkin pie and a Jets win. At halftime of the Lions and Patriots game I thought that there was a chance that Detroit could pull it out. Obviously they didn’t. The Pats were scary good in the second half. That’s how you put a team away.

As the Pats showed in this game, when they’re on, they can score in bunches. They lead the league with 334 points. It’s amazing how year in and year out they have a great offense. Different offensive coordinator, different receivers, different running backs. But one thing stays the same. Tom Brady. He turns good players into very good players. Look what’s he’s done with Welker since he got there.

And now with Danny Woodhead. It’s a shame he didn’t get an opportunity with the Jets. Sometimes it’s a numbers game. I know the Jets would have loved to keep him but I’m glad that he has gotten a chance to play in New England. And he has made the most of it. One thing I do know is that when players play against the team that they were cut from or left, they get a couple more plays where they are the main target. If I was the coach, I would get the ball in his hands often. Not just to put it in the Jets face, but because he is a playmaker.

Deion Branch is back on the Pats. He replaced Randy Moss. Branch is very dangerous when he gets his hands on the ball in the open field. He reminds me of Santonio. Both can score on any given play. Definitely someone that they need to pay close attention to.

This Monday night at New England has to be one of the most important games in recent history for the Jets. This is the game of the year so far in the NFL and it is in front of a national crowd. Yes, there are four more games after this one, but the winner of this game has the inside track for the No. 1 seed, a first-round bye and home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. That first-round bye is huge. In 1998 we had it. Win two and you’re in the big dance. That extra week off really helps, too.

Like I’ve said before, the Jets need to throw the first punch. And it can’t be a jab. It has to be the real thing. One thing about a team like the Pats, they’re going to hit back. This isn’t the kind of team that you can easily break their spirit. But you hit someone in the mouth early and often, you have a chance to.

That stadium is going to be rockin’. Very loud and very hostile. I remember playing up there in Parcells’ first year with us. As we drove through the parking lot with our police escort, there was like half a dozen guys hanging on the fence with their pants down mooning us. Sick puppies. They love their football up there.

I know I didn’t really touch on the Bengals game because it was a win. The Jets were expected to win and they did. They won the way that they are supposed to when you play a team that is struggling the way they are.

One thing that I wanted to point out was the performance by Brad Smith. He broke the game open. He catches a 23-yard pass up the seam, takes a reverse 53 yards for a score and returns a kickoff 89 yards for a touchdown with one shoe on. One of the best performances that I have seen in a while. He is a true team player and a great asset to the team. I met Brad at an event at the stadium during his first year. We talked for a minute and he is as nice a person as you’ll find. Very respectful. A guy that I would have loved to play with.

The Patriots are the team that people love to see lose in recent years. People always get that way about a team that consistently wins, has a coach like they do, the whole Spygate thing, and are cocky. Even though they deserve to feel that way. I somehow feel that the Jets are looked at as that team now. That is just more incentive to prove people wrong.

Rex made a prediction in training camp they were the team to beat. Forget the first 11 games. This is going to feel like a playoff game. The Jets win this one they’re on their way to the promised land. It all starts now.

Tags: , , , , , , ,
Posted in Special Contributor | 36 Comments »

36 Responses to “CHREBET: The Game of the Year”

1. By mathees on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

i cant wait. it’s gonna be a long weekend

2. By billy lamachine hayes on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

good stuff wayne!jets stuffed the 2 reality turkeys on thanksgiving.now its time to play.one of the greatest lines in sports came from mike tyson,”everyone has a game plan until you get hit”.the what the jets are gonna do.hit brady!then hit brady again and again.hopefully by end of the game he will need a knee replacement along with his hair replacement.J-E-T-S!i just read your book wayne,EVERY DOWN,EVERY DISTANCE.best book i ever read.any chrebet,any sports fan or anyone that was ever told THEY CANT DO IT should read this book.the difference between CHREBET’S story and rocky,rudy or invincible is CHREBET’S story is TRUE! WAYNE<YOU ARE A TRUE INSPIRATION TO ALL!!! THANK YOU WAYNE!! YOU DA MAN!!!!! GO JETS

3. By 37 year fan on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

1st and 2nd down will be critical …..We must screw Brady up there , ..so he’s forced into long 3rd down situations ….Attack where unexpected ….appear where unpreparred …..Make Brady’s day absolutely miserable ……

4. By 37 year fan on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Make no mistake ,…..We are on our way to ” The Promised Land ” .

5. By Lance J on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Wayne….great column as usual. Game of the year is an understatement, This game could vault the franchise into a level they have never experienced. The Pats have a dominant home record with Brady at QB. As the Ravens proved in the WC game last year – a good defense can break Brady’s rythm and spirit and force him into mistakes. We did a great job of that aganst him in week 2. Turnovers will obiously be key in this game. Sanchez cant force the issue on plays-throw the ball away if necessary. LT and Greene need to control the ground game and Sanchez can hit keller and the wr’s on play action fakes. Tough playoff type atmosphere-doesnt get much better. It will be a classic. I have faith in the Jets 8-0 road record & huge win.

6. By Gmany3k on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

I doubt we will go after Brady from the opening bell . Brady will be keeping us on our heels . We have to absorb Brady and his attack offense score our own points and beat them in all phases of the game.

7. By Erik Manassy on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Wayne – I agree, this is a make or break game to show the rest of the NFL world what the Jets are about!! Time to start the trek to the “Promised Land”!!

8. By billk7454 on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

This is the game we have all been waiting for, when our jets put offense, defense and special teams together in the same game. This team can’t be beat if we do that and if we start here it will cary us to the super bowl.

9. By 37 year fan on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

The pads are going to be crackin’ …..Hopefully, no one gets hurt …. except for hurt N.E. feelings ……

10. By Bob "Scrappy" Muldoon on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Waynem as usual, great insight.
    Sorry I haven’t been able to post lately, but I was in Hawaiii wuth Husk and my grandson Dexter. Kind of a reunion with the guys from State. Big Mallory says hi. BM was one heck of a tight end too. My grandson Dex had a great time too. Always wore his #80 jersey at the old Y Ki KI….glad to have taken him. His mom recently contacted Lupus and passed suddenly…he’s a scrapper though and will get by. New England falls again! God Bless…Scrappy

11. By scjoe on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

I know we all have been asking the question who will cover Welker, who will cover Hernandez, who will cover Branch, who will cover Woodhead etc. Well, I have a question that is equally important…who will cover Holmes, who will cover Edwards, who will cover Keller, who will cover Cotchery out of the slot, who will cover LT out of the backfield? There’s more, who will cover Brad Smith on KOs and end arounds, who will stop Greene and LT in the run game? Point is, I think they have as many unanswered questions as we do.

12. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Great stuff as always, Wayne. But while my opinion on football will never be worth a damn next to yours, I beg to differ on calling Woodhead “a playmaker.” More like he’s playing well. Playmakers, if I may cite three of our own guys, are Holmes, Edwards, and Tomlinson, guys who can change the outcome of a game at any moment with a single play. Greene came close to that status for us at the end of last year and Sanchez is coming close this year. The Pats’ playmakers at the moment are Brady, Welker, and Branch. It’s a little early to put Danny Woodhead in that category quite yet. When he draws the kind of coverage Holmes does, maybe.

13. By Peter on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Wayne where can I get your jersey

14. By Steve O on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Jets have to score early. It is almost impossible to play catch up with Brady. The only thing that history tells us is the Patriots normally bring out the best in the Jets.

15. By WickedDynasty on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

As a Patriots fan, it’s “refreshing” to read Mr. Chrebet’s “hint” of respect toward the Pats. You were always a feisty, scrappy (sometimes hated) adversary..so, I’m glad you give the Pats “their due”..they have earned it, in my opinion. The Jets have been a good team this season (and last) ..I wish they didn’t pull out a few of those last minute wins recently..but they did, and that’s to their credit. I hope both teams play to the best of their abilities, and as Belichick may say..I hope the Pats “make a few more key plays than the Jets”. Interesting taking a peek into the “enemy camp” before this big game. May the best team win.

16. By paul o on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

THANKS WAYNE! INSITE FROM ONE OF THE MOST SELFLESS TEAM 1ST GUYS THAT EVER PLAYED THE GAME! CANT BEAT IT! TO ME, YOU BELONG IN THE RING OF HONER! ONE OF THE GREATEST JETS OF ALL TIME! I LOVED WOODHEAD WHEN HE WAS WEARING GREEN AND WHITE, NOW HE’S A NEW ENGLAND PATRIOT….NOW HE IS DEAD TO ME! THATS HOW IT IS FOR ME. IF YOU HAD EVER PLAYED FOR THEM AFTER PLAYING FOR US IT WOOD HAVE BEEN THE SAME WAY! I AM A ( FAN) ATIC! I LOVE MY TEAM – GO JETS!! – I HATE THE PATSIES ( THE ENEMY)! AND ANYONE THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THAT EVIL EMPIRE!

17. By Big At on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

I can say on behalf of all of us Jet fans this is a huge game. This is all or nothing this Monday, I don’t care if its only a regular season game. This game is about Pride, Heart, and who wants it more. This is about a rivalry that us Jet fans need a win over the Patriots more then anything in Give them hell on Monday …J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets.

18. By Steve K on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Great Blog as always Wayne, We’re huge fans of yours. I can’t believe I won’t see this game. I’m headed to the Netherlands for work and the game starts at 12:30am. My girlfriend is more of a fanatic than I am, she’s going to be flipping out watching it alone. Let’s see if the pat’s fans are scared enough to pull another 4:00am fire alarm. I don’t know why the Jets wouldn’t spend the night at home for a close night game? It’s going to be a great game.

19. By Mike Jet Vet on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Sure you right Wayne.. I know its gonna be another repete of what I said last year acually in 2008 I believe it was right after that sunday night game and Farve’s 1st contest against the Paties playing QB for our Jets .I stated this is the begining of our run against them I think were 3-1 since 4-1 after monday night so it will be safe to say from here on in everyone in the AFC east needs to go though NY to win the division.. hoping to see that sad look on Little bills face after the game and listen to Brady on how they stunk and couldn’t get anything done against Rex and the mean green machine once again GO JETS

20. By Gmany3k on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Red Zone Offense inside the 10 Holmes under center Brad Smith in the slot right
    Holmes sweeps to the flag post smith seals the block Holmes scores untouched.
    Shotty in restroom on the play.

21. By Kenyatta on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

I been a jets fan since 1988 and this perhaps the biggest game that I have gotten ready for since the 1998 AFC Championship Game.My heart is already racing and I am ready and I hope the Jets are to and I think they will be. Homefield advantage is on the line something the Jets haven’t had since there Super Bowl win in 1968. With a win on Monday Night the Jets will be 2-0 vs.NE and will be 4-0 in the division plus have the AFC’s best record.Plus we are in Pittsburgh in 3 weeks so this is a huge game.GO JETS.

22. By oakesbar on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

In response to Wicked Dynasty
    Classy post in my opinion
    You had a chance to rip all Jets fans as most Pats fans would
    but you didn’t. you stuck to the facts and I appreciate that.
    My hats off to you
    (by the way Paul, this is how you spell “would”)
    With that said, its time for a change.
    The Pats have been on top for way too long.
    Yes, they have been in many games of this magnitude and we have not
    but the time has come.
    I have been a Jets fan since Richard Todd was QB
    thats a long time
    I was 6 when they won the Super bowl
    98 was great, – should have won that one in Denver
    last year was an unexpected run
    but this year it just feels right
    GO JETS !!

23. By Kevin on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, you were a great Jet.

Can not wait for Monday.

24. By Jeff on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Do we want a bye week? Look what happened the last time and look how well we’re playing on the road and that includes last years play-offs…Just saying.

25. By Lisa on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, Miss you playing.. You will always be my Favorite Jets…I miss having Chrebet on my nails for the season…

26. By Bob "Scrappy" Muldoon on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, as usual again yiou hit i t right. Wooidhead IS a playmaker…That’s a real foortball name too. Not like some of the other names like Ocho Cinqo..or T O..Woodhead has a real name. Like at State, we had Otto Blafinsky and Bob BM Mallory…Husk and I are going to the game with Dexter to cheer on the win. Dexter was let loose from the State squad earler on due to his Tourets syndrom, but he’s a trooper and will tough it out. Hope to see you at the game…God Bless…Scrappy.

27. By charlie manos on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, another great article. True football fans live for games like these.It reminds me of a good mma fight, you give it everything you have and want to kill the guy but when it is over nothing but respect for your opponent. This win could catapult us to the next level of elite teams and make everyone believers.my opinion is sanchs hair is nicer then bradys. jets win 38-28…all the best and enjoy the ice skating party…

28. By HUSK SPITOON on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

LAMACHINE, U R right I got to get that book.Its crunch time,we got to show we”ve GOT THE POWER !!! ITS GETTIN IT GETTIN ITS GETTIN KIND OF HECTEC!!
    MONDAY NIGHT AT ITS BEST!!! Great season for us fans,it has been really fun so far.By the way what happened to SCrappy!!!

29. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

Hey Scrappy, I’m sure you didn’t mean all that much by it but whatever name any NFL player (or any athlete) wants to use as long as it isn’t obscene or illegal should be fine with the rest of us. I can remember when some football fans didn’t think Hagood Clarke, Elbert Dubenion, Jan Stenerud, Mike Stromberg, or Abdul Salaam were “real football names” either, and I’m glad those days are gone. I’m sure I’m not alone in that sentiment. Besides, what would pro football be without the occasional weird name like, say, Fair Hooker? And by the way, Woodhead’s gonna need more than a traditional American name before anyone outside of a bunch of disgruntled Jets fans calls him a playmaker in this league.

30. By jrh4 on Dec 3, 2010 | Reply

#80 belongs in the ring of honor!

31. By Longtimecoming on Dec 4, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,
    Great read. Way to beat the Pats is keep Brady off the field. Jets need long drives (5min) or more. Need at least 14 points, then defense can let loose and have a party. Danger area is the flats, We (NYJ) are weak there and those 5-8 yard dunks can wear you out & move the chains.Should be a great game. Having been a ticket holder since 88, biggest game yet. Too bad its away, but I have the feeling we will see NE again in the Post Season.

Be well

32. By Bob "Scrappy" Muldoon on Dec 4, 2010 | Reply

Hey Jet Fan since 64…who in tarnation said anything about Jan Stenerud or Mike Stromberg etc…? What kind of analogy is that? Looks as if you’ve been drinking the hootch since 64 to make a statement like that. Ocho Cinqo doesn’t even translate to 85..it translates to 8-5. He’s his own promotion company. Husk is reeling over your statement. Did you EVER play the game? We played hard at State and show reverence to the game, you sound like a dunderhead who couln’t carry towels for the State team. Turn in your playbook…you sound like a mean little man that throws out acusations and runs behind mommy’s apron. God Bless…Scrappy.

33. By Walt on Dec 4, 2010 | Reply

Not too many big games like this late in the season for a Jets fan-should be fun- I don’t mind they’re on the road- they are undefeated on the road. A shame they lose Jim Leonhard: He is an excellent player and makes big plays in big games (SD in the playoffs last year). Smith,Poole and everyone needs to pick up their game.
    I agree about Woodhead- too bad the Jets drafted McNight and felt they had to keep him- I think they made a mistake- If Thomlinson doesn’t come back Woodhead would look good in green and white- he has to be watched this game.
    Brady is so tough- they have to find a way to get him dirty or he will pick the secondary apart. Prediction: 31-27 Jets!! Special teams and Brad Smith make the difference.

34. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Hey “Scrappy”, it’s a good thing Randy wouldn’t print what I’d have to say about who YOU obviously are, because has-been, never-was football player though you may be, you wouldn’t be left standing. But just to stick to the main point, why do you think anyone cares what you think of their name? Who made you judge of what’s “a real football name” or not? Why are you so concerned with that aspect of other people’s lives? And why do you respond to others with nothing but childish insults? That’s big-time loser talk, dude, on the field and off. And yeah, I played football, but unlike you I use this site to talk about players on the Jets. I guess the less you accomplish, the more you have to talk about it, eh?

35. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

And by the way, “Scrappy,” there was nothing mean in my message to you, if anything I was very friendly about it. But I do take pity on people who don’t know American history, which usually goes hand-in-hand with ignorance of their own personal history, so let me clue you into something. About 150 years ago, when plenty Americans hated the Pope, the Catholic Church, the Irish, and any immigrant name that smacked of any of that, YOUR last name was a dangerous one to admit to. We’ve come a long way since then and though I’m no fan of Ocho-whatever on the field or off, it’s his right to call himself any stupid name he wants. Part of what made this country great, and I’ll buy you a beer at a Jet game anytime to celebrate that.

36. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

And one more thing, “Scrappy,” so you know you’re not the only one on this site who “reveres the game”: I think the loss of Don Meredith, one of the toughest and classiest guys ever to play in the NFL, is the kind of thing we should be talking about, not who the heck calls himself whatever. Don coulda criticized a lot of other people for falling short of winning the big one and he never came close to doing it, and that’s the kind of NFL character that I grew up with and “revere.”