• Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the meda following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets Coordinators Thomas McGaughey, Marty Mornhinweg, Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

Jets Have 3 Ways to Clinch Playoff Berth Sunday

Posted by Eric Allen on December 8, 2010 – 12:37 pm

After becoming the final team to secure a playoff berth in the NFL’s 2009 season, the New York Jets can clinch a berth this weekend and still have three more games to play.

There are three scenarios in which the Green & White can stamp a return trip to the postseason by Sunday night.

Scenario 1

Jets (9-3) win over the Dolphins (6-6)

Chargers (6-6) lose/tie against the Chiefs (8-4)

Jaguars (7-5) lose/tie against the Raiders (6-6)

Scenario 2

Jets (9-3) win over the Dolphins (6-6)

Chargers lose/tie against the Chiefs (8-4)

Colts (6-6) lose/tie at the Titans (5-7) on Thursday night

Scenario 3

Jets (9-3) and Dolphins (6-6) tie

Raiders lose/tie at the Jaguars (7-5)

Chargers (6-6) lose to the Chiefs (8-4)

Colts (6-6) lose at the Titans (5-7) on Thursday night

The Jets currently sit one full game behind the Patriots in the AFC East as both teams are 3-1 in the division after splitting the season series. In conference games, the Pats are 8-2 and the Jets are 7-2. Sunday’s game against the Dolphins is a huge contest because it counts both in the division and the conference, and the Green & White will embark on a tough two-game road swing in Weeks 15 and 16 against teams with a combined 18-6 record.

Jets’ Final Quarter

vs. MIA (6-6), @ PIT (9-3), @ CHI (9-3), vs. BUF (2-10)

Patriots’ Final Quarter

@ CHI (9-3), vs. GB (8-4), @ BUF (2-10), vs. MIA (6-6)

If head coach Rex Ryan’s Jets earn a spot in the postseason, it will mark their first back-to-back dance invitations since 2001 and ’02 under Herm Edwards.

Tags: , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 46 Comments »

46 Responses to “Jets Have 3 Ways to Clinch Playoff Berth Sunday”

1. By buckz on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Bottom line Rex has more heart and passion then his most of his players I see a team that on more than one occassion comes out flat because of lack of heart and thats what football about leaving it all on the field. Sorry Rex these guys aren’t your B-more guys they dont have that passion you could have gotten yours fan to play better than that!!!! it was just one game, but it was a hump game to get past the Pats would have shown the world that the Jets have arrived. hopefully you’ll build through the draft because to have these vets on a team and produce a stinker might as well do it with rookies because that how they played.

2. By IRA on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

EA, Yeah it would be great to clinch a playoff spot this week. And while the division title is still up for grabs. Heading into this season anything less than a division title and another AFC Title Game to me would be a big disappointment. They gave up having destiny in their own hands with that debacle Monday Night. And as a 50 yr Jets fan i havebn’t seen too many of those chances. I thought this year would be different. Now they NEED to bounce back and hope for the Pats to lose 2 games.
    First thing is to BEAT THE FISH!

3. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Forget these back-in scenarios, I want to see a good team effort or five before I even think of the Jets as playoff contenders. But I notice Cummings just got claimed by the Cowboys, still another player that Rex talked up but ultimately showed little interest in putting on the field. I’ll give you Woodhead loyalists this much, Rex seems to have a curious habit of gushing about some guys on the basis of limited on-the-field evidence and/or some kind of bizarre mancrush — Woodhead, Cummings, Reamer, even Wilson — then forgetting all about them. It seems a bit loony to me, but then Rex’s entire approach re “Hard Knocks,” telling us he’s “man enough” for this or that (but not man enough to shut up and perform), etc. seems beyond loony.

4. By Pranit on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Best way to get in: win the remaining four games !!!!

5. By LosJets on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

What if the Jets Win over Miami…And the Pats lose to the Bears….
    Wouldn’t that put both team with a tie……..we have the best division record so does that means we get a bye week??????????????? I mean all we need is for us to either win all four games and the pats to lose at least 1………..

6. By scjoe on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Even with a complete collapse, say losing 3 of 4, I still see the Jets in the tournament, hey, the way the rest of the AFC is looking, losing 4 of 4 still gives them an outside chance of getting in. But it is December and the season is winding down and it is never to early to start talking 2011 personal moves (if there is a season) It’s a no brainer we have to get younger, especially along the D line and at LB. Maybe it is time to take a page out of the BB guide to winning football, and start to acquire as many draft picks as possible. We don;t know at this point which FAs will be retained, I just hope they start with David Harris, then work there way through Cro, Holmes, BE,BS. If you have to, franchise one and then try to acquire a pick.

7. By Brian on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

When will Rex finally pull the plug on Folk? How many crucial kicks must be missed before the light bulb comes on – “hey, we need to replace this guy, as he’s a potentially season ending liability.” He’s been given a chance, and he is not up to snuff.

8. By uncle joe on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Not too upset over the Pats loss because it brought us back down to earth,put us against the world again and plus I didn’t want a first round bye, we NEVER do good with extra time, it seems the less time we have the better we do! Gotta thank the Giants for ticking us off even more, letting a Division Rival use your facility to practice against us! The Jets might win by 21 points this weekend.

9. By scjoe on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

I read the story about Kieth Fitzhugh, the Safety who was on the roster in training camp and the Jets tried to bring him in. Well, he turned them down because he didn’t want to jeopardize his position as a transit, or railroad conductor. He felt it made no sense giving up his position which is secure (if their is such a thing these days) to go out and play for a couple of weeks in the NFL. VERY noble of him from my perspective, not many would look at it in such a light, so my hats off to him. What I was wondering though, why wouldn’t his employers go ahead and give him a leave with the promise of getting his job back? Then again, do I know all the details of what has transpired there? Best of luck to you sir.

10. By scjoe on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Ray, remember when I asked the question “who would be the next Woodhead?” Would it be Turner, Cumberland, Westermen? Well, it turned out to be Kenwin Cummings, signed off the Jets practice squad by Dallas. I always thought this guy showed a lot of promise, a hard worker, gave 110%, but never really given the chance, yes, he was caught up in the numbers, like Woodhead, but I for one will be keeping an eye on his progress with the Cowboys and see where it goes. Wouldn’t it be maddening should this guy turn out to be another “steal” courtesy of the NY Jets?

11. By GaryC on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

jets need to trade a player where there strength lies and that lies with the receivers.they can live without Edwards if they can acquire a couple of high picks,especially if turner works out.also has anyone thought about the canadian league about depth at safety. their season ended a while ago and maybe they can find someone there who can play. cannot get much worse.

12. By THUNDER LIPS on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

can I just say that all the emotional lovey dovey nonsense has got to stop. Great they buried a game ball from the Pats game. whats next team meditation with someone singing Koombiya in the background. how bout you just get ready to play an entire game. does rex still think he is on hard knocks. no one cares about that garbage. i’m sick of the entertainment celebrity attitude mixed in with coaching. this is a professional sport not a reality tv show. practice, watch film, get healthy, get a safety, and play to win the game (Thanks Herm). LET’S GO!!!!

AND just a side note … is it coincidence that every time we go to New England they seem to know everyone of our defensive plays and when we will call that play.

13. By MARIO on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

IF ANYONE CAN GET IN TOUCH WITH REX JUST GIVE HIM THIS ADVICE, THE NEXT TIME YOU PLAY THE BLUE SMURF GET SOME HELP FROM PEOPLE WHO ARE IN THE ARENA FOOTBALL, BECAUSE THE PATRIOTS PLAYED THAT STYLE AGAINST THE JETS ON MONDAY NIGHT. SERIOUS GETS SOMEONE WHO KNOWS ARENA FOOTBALL DEFENCE. GOOD LUCK

14. By Mike Jet Vet on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

I never have agreed with any 1 post like Ira’s last about Jet playoff senario..please EA Randy whom ever don’t go there I beg of you only sernario Jets fans should be enduring at this moment Pats being in our shoes and them ours nothing less..white noise is what that remark amounts to.. Who cares if Miami wins loses Kc wins or loses Raiders Ravens steelers I don’t and we or the Jet fans alike by what Rex lead us to believe he built us for Dec and Jan shouldn’t have had to care one way or the other .Tom64 I will agee about Rex hes doing it again with Cummings ..the man is out there where I don’t know

15. By Tom Spicer on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

If the Jets win out & are 13 & 3 & the Pats lose to either the Bears or the Packers then win out. We will both be 13 & 3, both be 5 & 1 in the division & both be 10 & 2 in the conference. Who wins the division at that point & why? Randy any thoughts?

16. By Randy Lange on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Tom, under your scenario, regardless of which NFC North team the Patriots were to lose to, the Jets and Pats would wind up tied in head-to-head, division, common opponents and conference. Tiebreaker No. 5 within a division is strength of victory. At the moment, the Patriots are ahead of the Jets in SOV. But each week SOV changes. That’s the best I can figure right now.

17. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

GaryC, in the 3 games we’ve lost this year — to 3 of the only good teams we’ve played — we’ve scored a total of 12 points. Any team that pathetic on O not only can’t afford to lose Edwards, it can’t afford to lose Turner, plus J-Co looks older, slow, and distracted this year. Actually, scjoe, what I was wondering about Fitzhugh — and MJV should like this — was why the Jets didn’t offer him a bonus to help him out with his family situation. This is the NFL, for God’s sake, not some FedEx where the kid has to worry about missing out on some hours. I like getting back Cook, who I liked in college, but the Jets had a chance to live up to the constant self-congratulatory ads during games about the league’s charitable intentions and blew it.

18. By Patjconn for Jets on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

All I know is the jets better not have any more breaks. We lost the opener against Baltimore after a long break to start the year. We lost after our bye week to Greenbay. Now we lost to the Pats after time off after Thanksgiving. Every break has cost us a game. I would prefer to not have a bye in the playoffs and play week after week. This week we played Monday night and have normal practice. We should beat Miami and continue through the rest of the teams because we are well practiced with no time off beyond normal. Go Jets, Monday was a wake up to inspire the team for what they really want.

19. By GaryC on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

jet fan tom, tell me who the jets are trading to acquire draft choices. it has to be edwards, pace, someone to can bring value and with shotty it doesnt matter who are the wideouts.

20. By Mike Jet Vet on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

WOW if I wasn’t puzzled be4 I sure am now if we have Jenks and Jim -L on IR ..Now Diggs Taylor Harris hurt or worse V-G and McKnight can’t get on the field Lowery and J-Co just coming back from injury. I know I’m not the smartest brightest sharpest guy around having to drop out of school to enlist and take care of sisters then wife and children but here it is the $64k Question shouldn’t we be adding players like Cumming Westerman Turner Woodhead not letting them get plucked from Jets natural resorce our bright young stars.please don’t get me started on the musical chairs we’re playing with Coles WHAT THE HECK DOES THIS ALL MEAN looks to me the right hand doesn’t know what the left is up to thats the way I see it

21. By Otis R. Needleman on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

The Jets need to shake Monday off, step it up and run the table, pure and simple.

22. By scjoe on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Gary, as you probably know, Edwards is an UFA, along with SH, Harris, Brad Smith and probably a few others, so the only way we get any compensation from any of them is either franchise then trade, (only one of them) or sign and trade (which I don’t see happening) so obtaining draft picks through any of those players is not very likely. They have to come from players with existing contracts (Cotchery,Keller,McKnight, Revis etc. Just throwing names out there, don’t write anything in to them. The mistake has already been made by trading away to many picks over the last few years. I do not think that is the proper way to go, thing is, you had better do your homework on the draft class and hope you find a jewel or two in the later rounds.

23. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

GaryC, I’d trade long Pace long before Edwards ’cause if you start BE and SH with J-Co playing a lot like we’re starting to do and one gets hurt, you haven’t really upgraded much over ’09. I know we don’t have much to trade but I didn’t say one draft will do it. The way CLE and NE have hoarded picks for years is what we’ll need to do to gradually replace the deadwood on this team now. I know lots of folks don’t wanna hear that ’cause they’d rather keep talking about 37-0 victories and “See you in Dallas,” but I’m a little more realistic at this point. We could probably get a good pick for B Smith, a good KR isn’t that hard to get and that’s mostly all he’s ever gonna be with us. But if I said that I might not live to see the sun rise…

24. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

And by the way, GaryC, I don’t know if it’s true that Schotty, much as I want to see the last of him, doesn’t care who the WRs are. Reports last summer were that he was “drooling” over the options on O with Holmes as a Jet. We’ll probably never know, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the dialogue in ’11 goes like this — REX: You’re fired for failing to put points on the board. SCHOTTY: Yeah, well, if you hadn’t insisted on screwing around with Smith and the Wildcat when I was supposed to be grooming Sanchez like I groomed Brees and Rivers… For all we know, that may well be a big part of what’s going on. One thing we do know, Sanchez is in danger of falling behind McCoy and Bradford on fundamentals, much less Freeman and Stafford…

25. By mark on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

I tought sanchez should have been benched in the second half! I think the whole team has lossed focus. It seems that it happens after long layoffs between games. After the bye week the offence couldn’t score, and now after the 10 days from their last win. Play-offs? I think Rex needs to refocus these guys…

26. By DarrylD on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Yeah I have to agree with time off; we look really bad when we have time off. Can’t quite understand that. As far as Edwards, does he seem to be a bit jealous of Holmes, he starts to give up on plays when he doesn’t get the ball. He doesn’t go all out in my opinion; they can do without him. Also how about changing the biz schemes; I see a lot that can be done in that area. Also the offensive coordinator should revamp the playbook as well; they seem to run the same plays. Man, what about their red zone play, PRETTY BAD! There’s no reason why we shouldn’t score each and everytime we get in the red zone; no excuse, too many trick plays that can be used in that area. Lastly, GET RID OF NICK FOLK; HE’S SORRY AS HELL!

27. By BLINKA posts, no one heeds on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Ira,
    If the Jets don’t make it far I won’t be disappointed at all.

Again, Monday night was NOT JUST ONE GAME. Except for Buffalo and the 2nd half of the first Pats game we have showed not to be a team worthy of the playoffs.
    But who needs to listen to the Blinkster, no one does anyway. The next three games will tell all.
    ” You can tell who’s swimming naked when the tide runs out”

Rex’s D does not have the players upfront to achieve his goal.

28. By gazza london uk on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

its looking grim the loss of jim leonard is emmence that d looks all at sea without his leadership and organization still not convinced about sanchez either maybe shotty should let him off the leash it all looks so predictable and obvious stayed up till 530 tues morning watching what a let down!

29. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Blinka, I don’t know what your deal is because I’m listening and I think you’re making a lot of sense. We’ve racked up a bunch of unimpressive wins against bad teams, what’s so great about that? Any team that can’t score with our personnel on O has a problem from above as well as within the roster, so I’m not up for too much championing of Rex or Schotty. And it’s even more painfully obvious that in about half the positions, we don’t have what we need on D. I can see Pace, Jenks, Taylor, Thomas, Pool, Scott (though I know Rex isn’t likely to let him go), and of course VG (and Folk) all gone within weeks of the season’s end. Am I not speaking the same language as you, or are you putting us all on with this “no one heeds” bit?

30. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

MJV, this thing about promising young players goes beyond just Woodhead and to what I’ve been saying for years is a larger problem on the Jets. This organization seems driven by ghosts from the past and terror in the present. A few INTs by Sanchez seems to recall games in which Joe threw five, DBs getting beat stirs up the bad old days of iffy corners like Beverly and Sample even in the SB year, McKnight fumbles a few times and he’s inactive for the whole season. I see this panic-driven thinking in posts on this site and I see it when almost every team but us survives playing its draft choices and young walk-ons. But somehow we’ve always got room and $ for some 10-year vet who hasn’t done a thing in 5 years. I absolutely don’t get it.

31. By BLINKA posts, no one heeds on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

’64

I’m not sure because #54’s background is defense, but assuming the Offensive line is not overated, I starting to think it is, then I must blame the offense inconsistency on the young QB.

32. By Allen 0"dane on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Eric,
    This my formula for getting in the playoffs.
    RUN X RUN X PLAY ACTION X RUN SOME MORE X DEFENSE = PLAYOFFS. We need to get back to who we are. A RUN first team and control the clock and play lights out on Defense. With the talent we have…no excuses. I say the Jets should want to play NE, they should not be afraid of anyone. If you want to be the BEST..you have BEAT the best. That way no one can question you. Let’s see what we are really made of now…

33. By Tony on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

You know for all the worrying there is a chance we can make it into the division.

It comes down to this Jets need at least one more win than the Pats, and the Pats need to lose to a division rival. That would give us the tie but we’d win head to head if we go 7-1 in the division and they go 6-2. This applies true in any rule of thumb. Matter fact, between the two it would work in that case if Jets went 1-3, and Pats went 0-4. I know that last part won’t happen but as long as Jets tie it up and Pats fall to Miami or Bills we’ll be in the division +bye.

34. By paul pgfig01 on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Can some on please start a fire Brian Scotty web site with votes from fans. How many bad O games do they need to see he is inept as an O coach. On third down he calls a wild cat give me a break every team knows what going to happen next. The Jets got served because of their predictability. Every single game I have been able to know what play they are going to run if I can do this what do you think coaches and players studying tape and they’re professionals. I am just a fan at home image what a pro coach can do with all the tools and smarts. You have Holmes,LT,Edwards,Smith,JCo,Greene,Richardson, Keller and more and cant come up with plays other than the wild cat pure amateur. The Jets will not become a dynasty until they fix this O problem

35. By davetharave on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

One or 2 solid wins and all the discourse in this post will be forgotten. They beter come out guns blazing against Miami, that’s all I gotta say. If this game is 10-7 (either way) in the middle of the third quarter it’s all over. It needs to be 28-3 Jets in the middle of the third quarter, at least !

36. By GaryC on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

jet fan tom, I meant not that shotty cared who wide receivers were, it was the way he uses them it might not matter, scjoe, I was thinking about the sign and trade with edwards and the jets are going to have to start drafting wisely, if not the dolphins and patriots will leave them in the dust.

37. By Row on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

My problem with Schotty isn’t the unpredictable play calling. It’s that he either blows up a team with a great game plan, or completely bombs it. What happened to “ground and pound.” I watched a lot of Rex’s NFL films from last year and he kept going to Schotty giving him daps and saying “ground and pound.” But now it’s dive on first down and pass pass for the next two. If you ask me, I would find the FB we drafted, use him as a TE, and run until they can stop us. It’s obvious #6 doesn’t have the arm to throw it deep to anyone. BE has a size and speed advantage over half the NFL corners, but it’s never exploited. All I see are under thrown balls for pics and a disgruntled WR. Even SH bails on some of the stuff thrown his way. Fix it Schotty

38. By Eileen on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Excuse me????? Why are you talking about trading, draft picks, etc. Let’s worry about the Jets today!! Not next season, if there is one. I like that Rex buried the ball. He’s telling the players that the Monday game is over and we need to get ready for the Fins. One game at a time. Stop looking ahead and lets not worry what the Pats or any other teams need to do. The Jets need to blitz and run the ball!!!!!! GRex always says “Play like a Jet” Well that’s what they need to do….the Jets are in your face “D” and ground n pound. So come Rex tell your assistants to get it together!

39. By PurpleFlash on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

My goodness…One real bad loss…and the sky is falling….Come on guys give it a rest.

40. By Ed on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Let’s hope the Pats just woke a sleeping giant and I don’t mean the other NY team. Hope they get it together against the fins, and plug in those holes all around. One things for sure, Schotty and the Jets miss Leon Washington. PurpleFlash is right, is just one loss, a pretty bad one and against our biggest foe, but the season is not over. This game against the Fins’ is huge for the Jets because we will see if the Jets were really exposed to the point where nothing can be done.

41. By Kevin on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

After all is said and done the Jets have given the fans some very exiciting games. Let’s hope that they can now put it all together and show us how they are capable of playing well against some good teams.

42. By Harry Kidis on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think Scenario 1 is correct! I Get why if SD loses, they are out, but don’t see why if Jags lose and go to 7-6 and Oak at 7-6 they are out? Jets would be 10-3 with 3 games left. Why do you think they JETS win tie breakers against Jags and Oak?
    Harry

43. By Randy Lange on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Harry, here’s why the Jaguars need to lose to the Raiders (along with a Jets win and a Chargers loss) for the Jets to clinch a playoff berth. If the Jags lose and then win their last three to get to 10-6, they would win the AFC South because one of those wins would be over Indianapolis, which then could finish no better than 9-7. That would leave only an AFC West team to bump the Jets. If the Raiders run the table, they’d be 10-6, but as a wild card they’d lose out to the Jets at 10-6 based on record vs. common opponents. And if Oakland catches Kansas City at 10-6, the Raiders would win the West based on a sweep of the Chiefs, and a 10-6 Jets team would edge the Chiefs for the last wild card berth based on better conference record.

44. By harry kidis on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

Randy:

Thanks, I got it!
    Harry

45. By Joe eastNY on Dec 12, 2010 | Reply

Remember, these are the JETS we are talking about. As a Jet fan I am used to it. They bring you up and then slam you down. Anybody that thinks this is the year hasn’t been watching. The team hasn’t played one full game. The O has been outa sync, all year. And the D can’t play pass defense. If they can’t get it together this week, they won’t win another game this year.

46. By warren lands on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

I have been a LOYAL Jets fan since 1966. To say that I am disappointed in their last few performances would be an understatement. I have endured the mediocre outputs over the last forty plus years and even though there have a been few bright spots here and there, I like countless other Jets fans want to see more. I am Louisiana-born and raised and I can celebrate the Jets even though the Saints are the “official” state team. BUT to have the SAINTS FANS laughing at our lack of playoff success?!?! Come on Jets, enough is enough!! We’ve got to win the games we should win and quit losing to less talented teams. And have we become so desperate that we have coaches on the sideline tripping the opposing players?!? What is going on?!?!