• Wed., Aug. 27, 2014 9:00 PM - 10:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Replay Jets Open Mic on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan 1401 A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan 1401 A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan 1401 A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan 1401 A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game

Lowery’s Right at Home Pitching In at Safety

Posted by Randy Lange on December 9, 2010 – 4:00 pm

It’s enjoyable talking football with Dwight Lowery. He’s friendly and intelligent, yet he burns with an intensity on and off the field. This afternoon in the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center locker room, his brow was slightly furrowed and his gaze looking ahead to Miami.

What was on D-Lo’s mind? Safety.

“It’s the most so far,” Lowery said about his practice snaps in the deep middle this week. “A lot of it has to do with what happened to Jim, what’s happening with James. You don’t want to see guys go down for it to happen. At the same time, I’m thankful for the opportunity because I feel like it’s something that comes natural to me.”

The two J-men Lowery referenced are Jim Leonhard, lost for the season a week ago tomorrow to a broken tibia, and James Ihedigbo, who did not participate in practice for a second straight day with his knee/high-ankle daily double. Safety has taken a hit, but Lowery is ready to step up Sunday against the Dolphins as often as the flow of the game dictates.

“I played safety for two years in junior college and that’s where everything really started for me,” he said. “I have a lot — a lot — of confidence that I can play the position.”

Lowery was showing he could play a lot of roles in the first half of this season. As a corner, nickelback and dimeback, he had perhaps his hottest four-game stretch as a Jet, from Buffalo through Green Bay, compiling three PDs, including the game-clinching pick of Brett Favre vs. Minnesota, a fumble recovery at Denver, and blitz sacks against the Bills and Packers.

Then he suffered a blow to the head at Cleveland and had been sidelined for two games with a concussion before returning to action against the Patriots.

“I’m feeling better now than I did last week and during the game,” he said. “As the game progressed, I started feeling a little bit more comfortable. Now I feel more comfortable than I did that night.”

And safety’s a big old comfy chair for the third-year man from Northern California.

“See the football,” he said, not ordering me to do some remote pigskin viewing but rather stating in the imperative what he likes most about the spot. “I feel like — I know — I’m a ballhawk. I will go to the football. I don’t know what it is, I don’t know where it comes from, but if the football’s around me, I’m going to try to go get it.

“The corner and dime kind of stuff, I can do it, but I don’t feel it’s my strong suit. That’s not to say I can’t go out there and do it, that’s not to say my mind changes any different from going out and executing whatever I need to execute. This is just how I feel as a player.”

I told Dwight many fans have said for a while that Lowery and safety would be a good fit. He smiled.

“I’m glad they’re optimistic. I appreciate it,” he said. “I feel the same way.”

Rex Cetera

Ryan read the final epitaph on the ball burial ceremony at today’s news conference. Told that he’s been accused of the ludicrous charge of stealing the motivational trick from Bill Belichick, the Jets head coach could only chuckle.

“I admit it, I steal from everybody,” he said with a smile. “The football deal is something that’s been done in this league, something I thought was definitely appropriate at the time. I’ve got to give my dad [Buddy] credit on that. He probably did those 100 years ago in high school. I talked with him after the game and he’s the one that gave the idea.

“It’s funny. I give Belichick more credit than anybody, and he did do that,” Rex said about the Patriots coach presiding over a pigskin dirt nap every once in a while. “My brother mentioned that as well. But he’s not who I stole it from. I stole it from my dad, who probably stole it from Pop Warner.”

Injury Reports

For the Jets, Ihedigbo and T Damien Woody (knee) remained as DNPs today, but RBs LaDainian Tomlinson and Tony Richardson, who sat out Wednesday’s activities for non-injury reasons, returned to full participation.

There are thus seven Jets listed as “full practice,” including T D’Brickashaw Ferguson, who jolted a shoulder at today’s practice.

“We got our scout team going hard, and he just kind of went to finish his block, fell and jammed his shoulder a little bit,” Ryan said. “But he practiced full. He’s going to be fine.”

The Dolphins’ I-report lists the same seven players as yesterday, with T Vernon Carey (knee) and WR Brian Hartline (finger) not practicing. Added to the list was S Sean Smith (ankle), who practiced full.

Tags: , , , , ,

34 Responses to “Lowery’s Right at Home Pitching In at Safety”

1. By Pranit on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

sorry, but Lowery is a back up player….He’s a liability as a corner…

2. By Row on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

I really like this guy. He came in and did what was needed to stay on the team. He’s got a knack for clutch picks. I really don’t care who’s back at Safety, I just want them to be physical while providing help deep. Drew Coleman could provide deep help just fine. Wilson is more physical than most of the Jet corners. Just get it done guys. I’m tired of seeing the renown Jet D be the least physical of the teams on the field. Harris has disappeared as of recent.. For some reason runs up the middle just tear us apart. I’m gonna go to another game soon, anyone have a good idea on which one? Where to sit? Go Jets

3. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Lowery’s Right at Home Pitching In at Safety — sure, sixteen games after he was supposed to, thanks to Revis. For those of us who advocated toughness on the Revis holdout, one of the reasons, at least for me, was because it was clear that we weren’t so great that we could afford that kind of nonsense. Weird as it sounds for a team that hasn’t done much in 42 years, there may be a strange sense of overconfidence settling in as a result of all Rex’s talk of how great we are. As far as I’m concerned, until we routinely put away MIA and BUF and hold our own in every game with NE, we’re far from great.

4. By Howie D on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Once again, objectively, Shotty is not the right OC for us. I’m not pinning the entire Monday night debacle on him, because we got thrashed in every area, but he’s average at best. Our Offense has not ranked in the Top 10, since he’s been here, not even close. We continue to struggle to score, even with big-time players. No TDs against the Ravens, Packers, Pats. Narrow escapes to weak teams, bad play-calling, on and on. This has been Shotty’s MO since he got here and there’s no improvement. When is the hierarchy going to face the facts and make the change? Maybe he’s a nice guy, nothing personal, but I’d make the change, in the best interest of the team, even if he was my blood relative.

5. By GaryC on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

And to all those who hate the draft and would rather have veterans, jimmy johnson resurrected the cowboys by trading Herschel Walker for draft choices and Ditka ruined the saints by trading his draft for ricky williams.

6. By Rick Rosselli on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

I agree with 64 Tom keep the talk to themselves and start walkin the walk

7. By TONY GARCIA on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

next 4 games will determine what kinda of team we are. one game at a time run ball first.and wrap up after tackles.i don’t think the jets will collapse.

8. By sal on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

I would like to see Dwight@ safety, great game to do it, If Kerry rhodes could do it then he can. Just make the tackle, the strips will come, and that goes for the secondary as a whole including, I can’t do no wrong Revis!

Some partners the Giant organization turned out to be, now I know where the fans get their class from

9. By 37 year fan on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

We have to remember how this feels right now ….. Take the pain with us into the playoffs ….and exact revenge on Brady , and Bellichek …..That is the only way to get closure here ….

10. By scjoe on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Lets be honest. Lowery is stop gap, he is not a starting safety, but injuries dictate many things in this game. Further, Smith, Pool and even Leonard all have their shortcomings as well. Aside from a legitimate pass rusher safety, both free and strong are priority’s for 2011. I think we will see Pool gone, Smith and Digs as backups and hopefully a couple of stud starting safety’s acquired. That, and the signing of at least one legit pass rusher would go a long way in turning this defense around.

11. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Just so you don’t think I’m a complete bomb-thrower, I watched Schotty’s entire press conference just now very carefully. He insists that Sanchez doesn’t “have too much on his plate” in the way of play calls, formations, and so on. I don’t see how this can be the case when the results are so poor and we seem to need to use timeouts in the first half regularly on O just to know what the heck is going on. But if Schotty says MS can handle all this and still put points on the board early and often, I guess we’ll just have to see how well we do that in these final games. Schotty certainly has a lot more riding on this than any of us.

12. By Mike Jet Vet on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Never was a Lowery fan up until that 4 game stretch Randy alluded to,he hasn’t shown enough talent for the position in my opinion the game that sticks in my mind was 2008 a Sunday night game against NE us winning 21-7 at half time single handedly he got touched for 2 TD’s and a 2 point conversion welker to help NE tie it up then again in Oakland – Seahawks that same year is why he hasn’t played much on a team desperately needing someone at the position .That said I do like the man I’m rooting he will step up and play a great 60 minute game not just being in the right place at the right time one play a game I believe coleman is the best of that bunch Coles the DB is he still with us hurt what? or another MIA’s on this team

13. By IRA on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

While Lowery had a great opening game his rookie year in Mia at CB and had two PD’s on a goaline stand, I thought and always will feel he is better suited for safety. Bottom line this kid is a ballhawk and has a nose for the ball. If he were playing safety he would have the ability to roam the field and make plays. Sure he is a nice b/u at CB but his true position should’ve been safety and lets hope with this chance now he shows them he can handle the position. In 25 games at SJ State he had 13 INTs in only 25 games.
    Wonder if this defense with all its problems from the beginning of the year covering the middle of the field is because they had to get rid of Rhodes? He sure is having a Pro Bowl season in Arizona.

14. By kk on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Sorry fellas you’re all looking at this all wrong. Losing Lowery to the safety position means Coleman is the main man on the dime.
    As I’ve said in previous posts I’m sure he’s a hard worker etc. but he can’t cover my grandmother. Watch him and every time the slot makes a cut he falls down he just isn’t any good.

But guess we have to play with the hand we’re dealt but the Defensive coaches have to find a way to stop that middle of the field nonsense!!! It’s killing us!!!

15. By Tony on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Firstly everyone discounting Lowery isn’t too smart. He is definitly a better cover corner then Eric Smith or Ihegdibo. He can acutlly cover people. He was burnt on short routes by Welker. And if you think about it he will be playing deep alot which can definitely help with his ability at playing corner. I think this is a good step. Getting rid of Kerry Rhodes hurt the Jets.

16. By Tom Spicer on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

I think Lowery would be a good free saftey he doesnt have the best cover skills as a corner but I think he can cover better than Pool, Smith & Ihedabo. He played the position in college & I could potential see Leonhard & Lowery starting at the saftey spots for us next year which would improve our coverage over the middle Pool & Smith cant cover my 2 year old son. I dont think we can afford to go big at saftey do to the fact it will taek major money to resign Holmes & Edwards. Plus our priority in the early rounds of the draft needs to be 1 pass rushing outside linebacker 2 D line. I would be ok with us taking a saftey late but ONLY LATE.

17. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Ira, I’ve seen almost every ARI game and I don’t get this talk from Row and now you about Rhodes’ “pro bowl season.” Their defense is so pathetic that there’s always a ton of tackles to be made, usually after guys have gained 30 yards. You know they’re 3-9 and have given up the most pts in the NFL, right? Anyway, he still doesn’t like to hit so he’s not a Rex-type D guy. scjoe, Eileen doesn’t like us talking about next year but I think we can be forgiven a little of that at a moment like this. I’d like to see a real thorough housecleaning, including a few coaches, and a new commitment to build through the draft. Isn’t Rex in the 2nd yr of a 5-yr deal? If he’s smart, he won’t waste them grabbing has-been and never-was guys.

18. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

MJV, I’m gonna do the Holmes/WR thing again but with a different spin. Gil Brandt has a good piece on the NFL site today on key match-ups and one of them is Vontae Davis/SH. He points out how important SH’s play has been for us and that we need more of it. So I’m gonna front load it for you guys and gals in advance of Sunday’s game and the other games for the rest of the year: If you’re lucky enough to have WRs like SH, BE, and J-Co and you can’t get ‘em the ball, something is sure wrong with your QB, your OC, your HC, your line, or all of the above ’cause those 3 guys are proven performers, to put it mildly — more like stars. For all the talk about Welker, J-Co’s right up there with him as a shorter-route guy and as clutch as anybody.

19. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Spicer, maybe I’m just hallucinating out of desperation but based on what I saw in the pre-season, I thought Cook had a shot of making the team and contributing. Any of you guys who went to Cortlandt, tell me what you saw of him. Heck, at least he made a big play in an exhib game and considering how few big plays our DBs have made in the regular season, that stands as something of a highlight. And I think just about ALL of our draft will be D next year, Spicer, which is another reason nobody’s gonna cut McKnight or Connor, next year they’ll be asked to actually carry the ball, especially if LT loses another step. ‘Course, the draft won’t help much if we have only 3 or 4 picks as usual and we probably need a new kicker, too.

20. By IRA on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Tom, Agree Ari does stink and Kerry did not fit into Rex’s style of play. He was way too soft. But his #’s are excellent with 70 tackles-3 INT’s -1 sack- and 10 PD’s with 4 games to go. He should finish with close to 100 tackles and mayeb a few more picks.
    I expect Cook to play ST’s this week and watch out because this guy was a big hitter at SC while in college.
    GO JETS!!!!

21. By fitzofury on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Lowery is like Mickens used to be for us…I like him and he is a good nickle back that isn’t going to be big enough, fast enough or strong enough to be a starting corner. Our safeties are tinny that’s why TE’s are lighting us up and we are losing the short yardage 3 down battles with the other teams offense

22. By MJM on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

It’s not that MS has too much on his plate re: play calls… Just that calls are no good. I think the problem is, and this isn’t unique to the Jets’ OC, that Schotty is playing too much agaist the DC on the otherside of the field and not designing plays that favor his players or take advantage of players on the other team. Coordinators don’t play football!

Lowery at safety is a good thing. I think there should have been packages for him at safety all year. But… I am surprised how many comments there are stating Lowery has great coverage and ball skills. When you hear about the great throw/catch into what seemed like great coverage you can be sure that Lowery was the CB with that “great coverage”. He just wasn’t playing the ball.

23. By MJM on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Case in point, Randy Moss wasn’t even targeted last night and CJs touches are way down this year (not last night though). Are you kidding me? You have Randy Moss and Chris Johnson on your team and you don’t use them. Moss has issues sure, but he also has the ability to make a finger tip catch against our favorite CB — Revis. Schotty hasn’t gone this far, he knows who his WRs are, but he forgets about his TE.

24. By scjoe on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Sorry Eileen, but the fact is it is never to early about talking next season, in fact, this front office better be talking about it as we speak! 64tom and I and quite a few others agree that the way to build a championship team is “mostly” through the draft (see the NE Patriots, the Pittsburgh Steelers) sure you can sprinkle in a few FAs, especially those in their prime, so by the time they are entirely familiar with the system they still have some rubber left on the tires. I have been a Jet fan for 50 years now and I will be till the day I die, so I wouldn’t have minded waiting a couple of more years till we built the way we should have, through the draft. If anyone has doubts just take a good look at what NE has done and is still doing.

25. By Mike Jet Vet on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Tom64 I don’t think you realize I’m on your side with S-H he’s a good receiver I like his play, problem is your to bias where he’s concerned and to much blame on coaching when I see the these plays start to develop in front of my eyes them being wide open will big yardage written all over them then Sanchez over or under throws the play and is why I’m not so ready to blame Schotty just yet I say when Sanchez finally gets it and everone is on the same page D-O lines and secondary I’ll make you a promiss you’ll be happy he’s still with us and not somewhere else DEAL

26. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

I’ll never deny that we have other problems on O aside from Schotty, MJV. Me and Arte (lately known as The Boy Who Cried) just spent an hour on the phone about Sanchez missing short passes, throwing behind guys, and so on. But Arte also made a good point about how whereas Belichick is all about keeping his mouth shut and studying the game, Rex is spending too much time talking and playing to the crowd, and I agree. It’s simply incredible to me that he can be winging it on O and not coming down hard on Schotty in the face of these pitiful point totals. Maybe he’s not as tough as he thinks he is. If I was Rex, I’d be freaked that two years into my deal we can’t score many points even after Mr. T. has gone out and gotten some real playmakers.

27. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Ira, I can’t deny Rhodes’ numbers are very good but if you watch that team, all their tackles are after huge gains, they give up yardage and points in huge chunks, and they play this way even against teams with lousy offenses. Again, I’ll be in the doghouse for saying it but I notice one of the reasons Leonhard has a lot of tackles for us is because yeah, he’s a sure tackler, all right, and never more so than when he’s just gotten beat by a receiver who towers over him. I’ve never been much for celebrating guys with stats on lousy D’s to begin with, like with Rhodes it’s often mop-up work while getting run over by opponents. At any rate, we need more draft choices, not more guys like Rhodes.

28. By davetharave on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Just come out flying Sunday, take the game over early and don’t let up. Quite honestly if this game is 10-7 in the middle of the third quarter (either way) the season is over, just as surely as it was over in October in those years when we were awful. Anybody who doesn’t come out Sunday and lay it all on the line, every play, is a loser. Excuse time is way past over. Just shut up and play. Then on to the next game, and the next one.

29. By BLINKA posts, no one heeds on Dec 10, 2010 | Reply

Not a Monday mourning QB like so many of you lovely chaps, i try to be general in my opinion, other than my relentless comments about the defensive line, because I’ve been away from the field for a long time. Having said that, I am not going to speculate as to why we’re paying poorly in terms of Xs &Os, but I think the bottom line is the we have a young QB and we have a talent deficiency on defense. So, to make it through the next three games, Rex must outcoach the opponent.
    What are your thoughts? Please share with me

30. By Rich on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Can You Put a Team AWAY this season I wanna see a total domination of Defense, Offense and Special Teams By the JETS. Enough of this conservative Offense Shotty open it up or ship out.
    Rex Wheres our nasty D? Barts been a puppy this year

31. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Blinka, the brevity of your analysis is impressive, but we can elaborate on it a bit. We have a young QB who’s taking longer to learn than we’d hoped, not as long as Leinart for sure but noticeably longer than Freeman. We also have an OC who seems to put up the same old O and the same old results yr after yr thru 4 QBs. This yr we have both a talent deficiency and injuries on D and an HC who isn’t a good bet to out-coach more than half the coaches in the NFL. Most unfortunately, our main divisional rival has a brilliant coach, one of the best QBs in football, and 2 #1’s, 2 #2’s, and 2#3’s in next year’s draft. It’s pretty obvious that we’re not going to get that far by just hoping to out-coach the other side.

32. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

By the way, Blinka, you vanished from the site for a good long while so I never got to tell you this. But I assume you know that some of us know very well who you are, or who we’re pretty sure that you are, back from the days when you proudly and skillfully wore the Green and White. So I for one am always very interested in what you have to say, even if we’re sometimes not worthy of the wisdom of He Who Refers to Himself in the Third Person. (Then again, a lot of NFL players like doing that, don’t they?)

33. By scjoe on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

Well Mr Blinka, THEE Blinka or that Blinka, the fact is we have a decent defense, not a great one and not a very poor one, a good one! On the other hand, for what ever reason, we have a very underachieving offense. I believe there is just a little bit to much talent throughout this offense then the numbers dictate. I don’t agree 100% with those who would blame it entirely on the OC. I would put most on the QB, followed by the OC then by the rest of the unit. Shotty sends the plays in, yes, sometime the plays are head scratching, but they are never plays that had not been practiced over and over again, so they should be executed properly, if they were, no one would be blaming the OC Any real Jet fan knows where the deficiencies are.

34. By Rick on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

I completly agree with this…..