• Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 11:30 PM - 11:59 PM EDT Jets Post Game: Bears at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 11:45 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Postgame Join Jets Insiders for LIVE player reactions following the Bears matchup at MetLife Stadium. Listen in on Rex Ryan's press conference with an analysis from Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad. Tweet your questions to @eallenjets and/or @nyjets.
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Thu., Sep. 25, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Fri., Sep. 26, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 28, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Post Game: Lions at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game

Sanchez Limited but ‘I’ll Be Ready’ for Bears

Posted by Randy Lange on December 22, 2010 – 4:03 pm

The biggest football story today at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center was the Green & White’s injury report. Six players did not practice, including late entry WR Santonio Holmes with a turf toe suffered Sunday at Pittsburgh.

And QB Mark Sanchez, even though he worked with his sore right shoulder on a limited basis during team drills at today’s outdoor practice, tops the list of concerns.

But head coach Rex Ryan was optimistic about both Sanchez’s and Holmes’ availability for Sunday’s possible playoff-clinching game at Chicago.

“Mark was moving around good but was limited with the amount of throws he took,” Ryan said after practice this afternoon. “I think if we had to play a game today, he’d play right now. Again, he’s sore so we’re being cautious there, letting him heal, getting him ready to go on Sunday.”

“I’ll be ready to play,” Sanchez said a few minutes later in front of his locker. “I’m in there. I’m playing, that’s all there is to it, and I have to be on the field. That’s what I’m here for and that’s what I’m going to do.”

Ryan said his quarterback did participate a bit today. He took all the prepractice walkthrough snaps — “albeit left-handed,” the coach said — and did a lot of the running-play snaps with the first offense before yielding to backups Mark Brunell and Kellen Clemens on the passing plays. Yet coordinator Brian Schottenheimer still had Sanchez call some of those pass plays to keep him preparing mentally for the Bears and their menacing front seven.

Asked if Sanchez has the experience to play Sunday without getting at least one day of full team drills, Ryan replied, “That’s not an ideal situation.” But he gave his prognosis for Sanchez and it sounded fairly positive.

“It’s just a sore shoulder, nothing that’s going to keep him from playing,” he said. “If he can’t go and he doesn’t feel like he can go, we’ll play Brunell and Kellen as our quarterbacks. But I think he’s going to be able to go. I feel 99 percent sure he’s going to be able to play Sunday.”

As for Holmes, Ryan said the toe got “turfed” during the Steelers win. Except for the amount of team drills, the coach’s description for his wideout sounded somewhat similar to that for his quarterback.

“I didn’t think we’d have to hold him out today, but it was bad enough to keep him out,” he said. “He was not comfortable today. I don’t think he’s out by any stretch of the imagination.”

The Other Aching Jets

The other Jets sitting out today’s practice included S James Ihedigbo (knee/ankle), S Eric Smith (concussion — “He jogged today and seemed to be doing better”), T Damien Woody (knee), and RB LaDainian Tomlinson and FB Tony Richardson (both non-injury-related).

Limited besides Sanchez: CB Darrelle Revis (hamstring) and DT Trevor Pryce (hip). Full-gos: CBs Antonio Cromartie (groin) and Drew Coleman (groin), C Nick Mangold (shoulder) and WR/KR Brad Smith (hand).

Update, 4:40 p.m.: At the top of the Bears injury report is WR Earl Bennett (45 receptions, 547 yards, 3 TDs), who did not participate in team drills today with an ankle injury. Three players were limited: LB Lance Briggs (shoulder), CB Charles Tillman (knee) and LB Pisa Tinoisamoa (knee). Four practiced full: CBs Zackary Bowman (foot) and Corey Graham (calf) and safeties Craig Steltz (ankle) and Major Wright (ankle).

Wednesday Ryan Story

At his news conference, Ryan declined to answer questions regarding a personal story about him reported by a number of media outlets this morning.

General manager Mike Tannenbaum issued a statement this afternoon saying that he and Jets owner Woody Johnson met with their head coach on the story. “It’s a private matter,” Tannenbaum said, “and Rex has our support.”

Jets in the Pro Bowl Fan Balloting

LaDainian Tomlinson finished with the most online fan votes and Nick Mangold and Darrelle Revis had the highest rankings at their positions in the Pro Bowl balloting that ended Monday night at midnight.

Tomlinson gathered almost 460,000 votes, but he’ll need the Jets not to be playing in the Super Bowl and two backs ahead of him to bow out of the game if he is to play in Honolulu on Jan. 30 in his sixth all-star game in his 10th NFL season.

Meanwhile, Mangold, second among AFC centers behind the Colts’ Jeff Saturday, and Revis and Antonio Cromartie, 2-3 among corners behind the Raiders’ Nnamdi Asomugha, are in position to return to the annual AFC-NFC battle, which for the second year will be played the week before the Super Bowl.

D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Tony Richardson and Shaun Ellis are the other Jets who finished in the top fives at their positions. Fan balloting comprises one-third of the total Pro Bowl balloting, with the other thirds going to the players’ and coaches’ votes. Coaches and players will cast their votes by Thursday and the Pro Bowl rosters will be announced in an NFL Network special next Tuesday at 7 p.m. ET.

Here are the Jets’ top-five finishers, with ranking at their position and number of votes in parentheses:

Running Back — LaDainian Tomlinson (5th, 458,966)

Fullback — Tony Richardson (5th, 140,285)

Tackle — D’Brickashaw Ferguson (4th, 225,193)

Center — Nick Mangold (2nd, 272,548)

Defensive Tackle — Shaun Ellis (5th, 149,360)

Cornerback — Darrelle Revis (2nd, 320,847), Antonio Cromartie (3rd, 236,990)

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to “Sanchez Limited but ‘I’ll Be Ready’ for Bears”

1. By GaryC on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Randy, has Rex mentioned anything about suiting up Jarron Gilbert who was drafted by bears and might have enough incentive against them to put forth a strong effort if playing, He has more athletic ability than anyone on line.

2. By Randy Lange on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

GaryC, good question about Jarron Gilbert. Rex Ryan was not asked about him today and I have no inside information, but it wouldn’t be a surprise if he is in the mix for Sunday in the Windy City.

3. By GaryC on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

See Ira, the concerns with the shoulder are already starting.Jets could be down playing this injury.time will tell.

4. By scjoe on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Anyone who knows my posts knows that I am as much a critic of Sanchez then almost anyone else. Just pointing out the obvious, that said, and I have said this before, Rex was right when he stated that Sanchez “gives us the best chance to win” of course he does, just take a good look at who is behind him on the depth chart. This is not Manning or Brady we are talking about who just might miss this game, but should he miss it I think it will be a long day for the Jets offense, and that is putting it about as discreetly as I can.

5. By Jets Fan Tom for a Long Time on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

This is a bad year for injuries in the NFL and on balance, we’ve had less than other teams, some of which have seen their entire season destroyed by them. So unless these injuries are actually much more serious, these guys are going to have to go out there and perform from here on out.

6. By Kenny P on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

I’m sure the Jets will put their best foot forward…..

7. By Christopher on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Gary, my guess, is it may require off season surgery, again. Then you have to start wondering if we got another CP. Like you said time will tell.

8. By Troy(nyjetsholdSBtrophyin2010 on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

I was so impressed with the turnout of Jets fans in Pitt.for the game,it made my time out and about in the city a hell of lot better than I thought it was going to be,with that said Steeler fans were pretty classy for the most part leading up to the last play,then it started to get a little ugly.I thought the Offense (not stat wise)played its best game of the year,Mark was tremendous as was our Backs and Braylon,what can you say about B.Smith..I was shocked to see Rex open up the umbrella D that we got so used to with mangini luckily it worked in the end,the miami loss is really looming large right now cause we would have clinched and would still be only 1 pats loss away from the div.can you imagine this effort vs Mia.we would have won by20

9. By Tom Spicer on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Gary C, I agree this guys raw talent is off the charts I saw a video of him where he broad jumped out of a pool. Yes I said it right not into the pool but out of it. I dont know what happened when he was with the Bears but I wanted the Jets to draft him when he came out. His father was a pro player & the Jets cut Pat Turner & resigned him to the practice squad because someone was trying to sign Gilbert off of our practice squad. So other teams have interest as well. I think the Jets should give him a shot & let him play this week he cant be worse than Gholston.

10. By Tom Spicer on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Correct me if I am wrong but didnt Mark hurt his shoulder when he ran & the cheap shot king James Harrison hit him when he was already down? But of course there was no flag on the play.

11. By IRA on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Gary,
    Yeah it sure sounds a lot like when Chad got hurt in 04 and he played through it. At that time if i recall they did say a strain of the rotator cuff. Lets hope its not the same. Big thing is what happens if he takes some hits to it or lands on it again? I really would love to see him rest vs the Bills after they wrap it up this week.

12. By GaryC on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

this is a thought outside the box, but why don’t the jets rest sanchez’s shoulder this week and go with brunell or clemens, if they win they can rest it also against buffalo and he will be rested for playoffs.bears are not an offensive juggernaunt and jets might win with defense and strong run game.

13. By Paul on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Someone mentioned Chad Pennington! I’m beginning to wonder myself, last yr his knees, this yr his throwing shoulder and knee brace. I’m not a Mark Sanchez fan to begin with, but the injuries are becoming a concern along with his shortcomings in the fundamentals. Brunell isn’t the guy you would dream of being out there, but he does bring a high completion rate to the table, plus veteran smarts. If Sanchez is hurting, bench him, the Jets need this game too badly!

14. By Paul on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

@ TomSpicer. I couldn’t agree more Gilbert is an animal. Rex and the jets have seen it, thus signed him to protect their interest. Gholston should be traded if we can find a taker, better than letting him walk in free agency and getting nothing in return. He has shown some growth this year, but not enough for the jets to offer him the money he will surely be looking for. Gilbert is the total athlete Gholston was supposed to be!

15. By GaryC on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

too many memories of favre throwing in the snow in seatlle with his bum arm. snow forecasted here for midwest this weekend.do I see a trend here. get brunell or clemens ready.

16. By Pranit on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Sanchize has to learn to slide…

17. By john ski on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Yup, knew it… brought it up here once or twice and on talk radio. Tough call on who to play but if you sit him now, win or lose, it helps us out….Sanchez gets a rest and the backups get work. If we lose to Chicago, play and lose Sanchez we have a crap shoot with backups that come in cold in Buffalo (no pun intended!). And by the way, I can’t stand the way talk radio is saying you can’t say anything bad about Shotty after the Steeler’s game….especially Bob Wischusen. Bob, I like you but that’s garbage…every dog has his day and Shotty got it right in Pitt. But the true fans have been critical of him for years and we deserve to be able to call him out.

18. By ArtSoCal on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

I predicted weeks ago that if you didn’t protect MS, he would be damaged goods before the end of the season. Finesse teams like NE give their QB greater protection. It doesn’t matter who your FAVORITE QB is next season, if you don’t protect him, he ends up injured or reinjured. Perhaps the QB position will have to become a revolving door before the fans start to get it. What a waste of potential talent.