CHREBET: Time to Make Some Noise

Posted by Wayne Chrebet on December 30, 2010 – 9:20 am

Wayne Chrebet’s 17th blog of the season for newyorkjets.com:

Who knew that it would be a shootout? It’s one of those games where whoever has the ball last wins the game. Unfortunately it didn’t work out for the Jets.

It started off bad. It was 10-0 before you knew it. I can’t lie. I was nervous. But the offense methodically went right down the field for a touchdown to bring it to 10-7. Mark Sanchez had a heck of a day. He really had some zip on the ball. I know they said that his throwing shoulder was injured but he didn’t show it. I was really impressed. I though it was one of his best throwing games. He had a 65% completion percentage vs. a very good defense. He showed great presence out there. Had great control of the game. Getting the running game going really got the offense going.

I would have to say that the reason why the offense played so well is because they put themselves in good situations. When you’re getting 6-8 yards on first down, that opens up the playbook a little more.

If you looked at the stats the next day, you might have thought that the Jets won. While the Bears didn’t run a lot of plays, they made the big ones count. To have TD passes of 40, 25, and 26 yards all in one quarter really hurts. You can’t have that. One of those a game is too much. It’s going to happen, there are some good offenses out there, but in one quarter, you can’t win that way.

The way the Jets offense is playing these last two weeks, they can score against anybody. Those were two really good defenses that they faced in Pitt. And Chicago. And in their house. If they can get the defense back to how they were playing in some of the earlier games, then they can make some noise in the playoffs. If not, it’ll be tough.

It’s strange, they’re just not getting to the quarterback. Not like they did last year. Tough when the teams you play watch hours of film on your tendencies and plays in certain situations. I don’t know, I’m not a defensive guy like Rex, he’s the guru. He’ll have them ready come that first playoff game.

As of right now, it’s up in the air about who we’re playing. We do know that it will be on the road. No worries. The Jets are road warriors. They’ve shown that this year. Tough to play on the road in January but real easy to get fired up for it. I have to admit, sometimes playing on the road would get me more fired up. There’s something about going into someone else’s house and putting a whooping on them.

Either way, it’s exciting. They’ve reached their first goal. Just make the playoffs. Homefield advantage and byes are nice but you’re in the playoffs and that’s all that matters. Nothing has ever been easy playing or rooting for the Jets. Why would this be any different?

Buffalo this week. Simple plan. Get the win and keep everybody healthy. No, this is not like a preseason game. You want to go into the playoffs off a win. I think that they have a really good chance of doing that.

Happy New Year.

Posted in Uncategorized | 29 Comments »

29 Responses to “CHREBET: Time to Make Some Noise”

1. By charliejet on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Sanchez does need some reps for the Buffalo game. But Mark please as competitive as you are…don’t go after fumbles (if there are any) don’t try to make any tackles (if there should be a turn over) STAY AWAY! Don’t get hurt! Stay out of harm’s way man! Coaches I hope you are telling this to this kid. GO JETS

True fans will NEVER give up. Play offs a whole new animal! GO JETS! ! !

2. By sonthonax on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I like your analysis. I think you’re spot on Wayne. I will have my Chrebet jersey on for Sunday’s game and every game in the playoffs as a symbol of heart. You and Curtis Martin always give it your all out there, so you two are my favorite Jets.

In regards to the pass rush, it’s horrible. I know people will be quick to blame Cromartie and the others in the secondary for getting beat on plays, but you can’t fault these guys because the opposing qb has all day to throw the ball. We need to get to the QB. I watched the Vikings vs. Eagles game the other night and despite the fact the Vikings were 14 pt underdogs they were able to prevail and disrupt the seemingly invincible Michael Vick. WE NEED TO RUSH THE PASSER…No ifs and or butts! JETS!

3. By Frankie on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Chrebet your the man!!!!! Go JETS!!!!

4. By IRA on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Wayne, Agree get to 11-5 something this franchise has done only twice in 68 and 85. Have a Happy and Healthy New Year!

5. By Allen 0"dane on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Hey Wayne..Happy New Year to you and yours.. The Jets offense showed what it can do but there’s one thing that bothers me. Why let LT start first?..Shonn should be getting the rock wearing the “D” down and then bring in LT for that change of pace. Now the “D”. We cleary miss Jenks in the middle and Leonhard is a huge loss for the secondary. I understand the fans want to see sacks but ryan’s “D” is meant to apply pressure & get QB’s off their timing. But teams are picking up the blitz packages and the 3rd wideout and tightends are the ones that are killing us. Kyle Wilson was drafted for this very reason, but let’s be real, he is just a rookie. Coleman & Lowery have to step up and I say play “Dig” against the tightends. GO JETS!

6. By craig on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

i think mark needs to grow up more and keep his head up more getting in guys faces more and being A leader like peyton and tom .i know there are only one peyton and tom but he has to lead more.HE IS THE KEY TO THE CAR. ALSO WE NEED TO CLOSE OUT GAMES WHEN WE AR EUP WE HAVE TO KEEP THE PETAL TO THE METAL NOT LAY BACK AND FELL SORRY FOR THE OTHER TEAM.

7. By Walt on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

It’s a nailbiter every game with this team- except for the NE and first Buffalo game every game goes down to the wire. That will help in the playoffs that they can stay in games. A shame the offense has a good game and the D can’t get it done. They were working with a short field on a few of those drives. I wish they didn’t kick it to Hester- that did not help field position. I like our chances to go far- it should be exciting – Have a Happy New Year- Can’t wait for the playoffs to start!

8. By craig on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

mark has to be more of a leader. and when we are beating a team we have to stay on the petal and dont let off. make team work for it for 60min.we have to get to the quaterback more or should i say hit the qb more. heavy does of green and hit them with lt late and go deep to edwards if he can catch it . so of these new jets need to play like old jets like curtis or wayne and mo lewis .rex might talk like a jet be we havent played like any jets .once we get back to playing like jets we will be fine.

9. By Gmany3k on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Your article is much like meeting someone in the grocery store isle and making talking points on the team with friendly fans .If only Mark would have thrown that last pass over the top of the WR instead of on a rope we’d have won in spite of the 3 TD’s in one Qtr.Question is will mark ever get in a “zone”?

10. By Jets Fan Tom for a Long Time on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Great stuff, Wayne, wish we had you for the playoffs!

11. By jerseyjet80 on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

There would be so much less talk about Mark if his recievers would stop DROPPING key passes. Dustin, Holmes and Braylon have all had a few over passed four games. And I’m sorry, but I gave up on how many Cotchery has dropped- Love him, but he is killing us. I wouldn’t be oppossed to seeing playmaker Brad Smith take more of Cotchery reps…Either way CATCH the ball and it will build Mark’s confidence. The rest will flow from that.

12. By Bob "Scrappy" Muldoon on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Wayne,

As usual great insight. Wish me and Husk could be at the game, but it’s the State reunion. Covers everyone from the 50′s till now. We should have a great time. Johnny Maestro is the entertainment. Good guy. He comes up to Utica every year. Bet they’ll be more than a few TVs on though. Like Husk says: Never let the ball hit the knee without a battle…God bless…Scrappy.

13. By garrett fla jetfan on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

wayne you should come back as a offense of cord. you could teach these new guys a thing or 2 about jet football, wish you were still playin though , id like to see you get that ring

14. By Lance J on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Wayne….Happy New year to you and as always – great insight. Definitely agree that they need to win the game. The defense has to play all 4 quarters as they have been inconsistent. The safeties and LB’s need better control of the field as all teams they face in Buffalo and our playoff opponents will attack that area that has been weak the past few games – the middle of the field. Sanchez and the offense should play a half but if they go up by more than 14 – they should be pulled and bring in the 2nd team as much as you can. Brunell can manage the game fine and mcKnight and conner can get some carries. Lets stay healthy and get prepared for postseason. Jets 31 – Bills 13.

15. By CNY51yearJETSfan on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

For my 74th b-day,(Sunday) I would like a win!! Beat the Bills, my2nd favorite team to dislike,!!please!!!. I will be wearing my #10 jersey also ( Wayne, you have always been one of my favorites….along with Vinny) I will be coming home thru Buffalo….will probably miss the game but my heart is with my Jets!!
    Go Jets!!

16. By Mike Jet Vet on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

GET A PASS RUSHER I’ve been saying it since last year and will continue to say it till we do..WE need to stop giving these QBs all the time they need in hitting receivers its killing us in so many ways, Its demoralizing to our defence- keeping them out there to long -not to mention the injuries it has cost our DB’s last year and this from cutting every which way these recievers are running its to much pressure ..All do to lack of a viable pass rush.. Lets see what Dixon and Gilbert have play them NOW REX NOW

17. By Jets Fan Tom for a Long Time on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I expect to get slammed for this, jerseyjet80, but I think J-Co is possible trade bait in 2011. He’s one of the only good players we have who’s worth something significant, like a good draft choice, and he plays a position at which the emphasis will be on keeping the two guys ahead of him. If we hold onto Holmes and Edwards we can afford to lose J-Co and get other younger, faster guys off waiver lists, as walk-ons, or maybe one late-round pick in the draft to go with Smith as WR back-ups.

18. By CNY51yearJETSfan on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

sorry Wayne….meant my #80 jersey……getting older????? not fun!!

19. By TexasJetsfan on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Right on Wayne. You’ve been hitting the nail on the head every week. To this day, you are still my favorite all-time Jet and I have been a Jet fan since they were Titans. I run the Central Texas New Your Jets Group and as you can see on my site, http://www.meetup.com/Austin-Jets-Fans, your Jersey is the one I wear! Keep up the good work and thanks!

20. By Jets Fan Tom for a Long Time on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Wow, TexasJetsfan, I know a bunch of folks down there that I gotta send that link to, if they don’t know about it already! Hopefully some of the folks who post on this site will see you soon in Dallas!

21. By Jeff on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

You are correct. If The Jets can get their defense back to the way they were playing ealier in the season we will make a lot of noise in the play-offs. The thing of it is we need the offense and defense to both make noise (a lot of it), because when one side plays well the other plays poorly.

Happy New Year Wayne to you and your family and to all the Jets (coaches, players, owners, staff, etc…) and the Jet fans

22. By Passaicjoe on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

You are still the man Wayne! Go JETS!
    I agree with your take on the recent games. I would like to see them sit Tomlinson to save him for the playoffs and give the ball to Shonn Greene, 20 times or so. They need a few sacks in the first half from the D as well as TOs

23. By johnjet on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Love your articles Wayne. Garrett is right, you should come back as a coach so you can get the ring you deserve. You are an always be one of my favorites.

24. By Matt on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Rex needs to stop rolling the dice. Going for it on fourth down in the Green Bay game and against the Bears (even though it was well executed but dropped by Smith) is what cost the Jets the Game. Perhaps Rex needs a wristband telling him when it’s ok to take risks and when to play it safe.

25. By Ben Spierenburg on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Wayne – I have to disagree with you on one point:

“Nothing has ever been easy playing or rooting for the Jets.”

Not true. Rooting for you and Curtis Martin was always easy. We knew you guys had heart and would always give your absolute best.

Matt – have to agree with you there,. That 4th down and 3 at our own 40 was a critical mistake that swung the momentum to the Bears, who scored on the very next play. I don’t understand how Rex could have thought that was smart.

However, if the Jets D can get back to their attacking ways, and the Jets offense can keep up the good work, and the special teams can keep it up, and Rex doesn’t make any more mistakes….we could be peaking at exactly the right time.

Happy New Year!

26. By scott on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

I must disagree with one thing that wayne said about byes being great, this season every time we’ve had a long week or a bye we’ve gotten beaten. NE, GB are the prime examples where the offense and Defense in the NE game did not seem to show up. So I’m actually more relived about the wild card game because hopefully they can keep in rhythm and go further into the playoffs by not having that time off which hasn’t worked in our favor this season.

27. By Jason on Jan 1, 2011 | Reply

Its great that youve been writing these blog type things, reminding everybody that te Jets were your ONLY team and it still shows. Go Jets.

28. By Bob "Scrappy" Muldoon on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Wayne,

Great game today. Watched it on the tube. Great reunion with the State fellows. Big Mallory says hello. BM and Husk sang a song with Johnny Maestro. Lord almighty, they couldn’t hold a note in a shopping bag. This could be our year though, since the big D has shown up. Like Husk says, “To win the war, you need boots, not sneakers.” …God bless…Scrappy.

29. By YoungJon on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Wayne,

I’m not sure if you read these comments, and I know many have told you the same, but I really appreciate reading your weekely blogs. I honestly think you should get into announcing for the NFL in some form or fashion. Even though I’m a die hard Jets fan with two of your jerseys (wore one to the Buffalo game), I think that your insight coupled with the kind of player you were in the league would definitely be something that everyday fans of other teams would be interested in hearing. I believe the Jets have a great defense, but we get picked apart by the best passers in the league. Do the Jets change their game plan or are teams coming out to beat us?