Rex on Why It’s Personal Against Peyton

Posted by Randy Lange on January 3, 2011 – 12:23 pm

Two things jumped out from Rex Ryan’s day-after/week-before news conference at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center this morning.

One is the personal nature of the Jets-Peyton Manning Colts rivalry. Ryan put it in first-person terms, and that may rub some fans outside Jet Nation the wrong way. But Rex explained it perfectly.

“That’s the way everybody is” in the NFL, he said. “It’s not just me taking it personally. It’s every time you lose, head coach, assistant coach, all the players, everybody in the organization. You take it personally. And as a fan, you take it personally.

“With Peyton Manning, that’s how it is. I’m going to beat him. I don’t know when, but I’m going to beat him and I want it to be Saturday. Is it personal? Yes. Him and Reggie Wayne and all those guys? Freeney, Mathis and all those other dudes? Yes. You want to win. That’s why I’m here. That’s why I say they’re going to get my best shot, they’re going to get our team’s best shot. They’re a good football team. We’re going to see if they’re good enough to handle this.”

For the record here’s how Ryan’s teams have stacked up against Manning’s clubs:

2001 — Ravens 39, Colts 27

2002 — Colts 22, Ravens 20

2004 — Colts 20, Ravens 10

2005 — Colts 24, Ravens 7

2006 AFC Divisional Round — Colts 15, Ravens 6

2007 — Colts 44, Ravens 20

2008 — Colts 31, Ravens 3

2009 — Jets 29, Colts 15

2009 AFC Championship Game — Colts 30, Jets 17

Ryan was Baltimore’s D-line coach from 1999-04 and the Ravens’ D-coordinator from 2005-08. In all games his teams are 2-7 vs. Manning’s Colts, and as a coordinator or head coach, he’s 1-5.

And in those six games, Manning’s passing numbers are through the roof: 108-for-171, 1,513 yards, 12 TDs, 2 INTs (and just five sacks), all for a 110.1 passer rating. No wonder it’s personal for Rex.

Ryan showed the depth of his involvement when he reviewed this year’s expectations of the Jets compared to last season’s, which weren’t quite as high outside the team, until the Green & White ventured all the way to Lucas Oil Stadium in January.

“We got to the AFC Championship Game and we got beat by Indianapolis — I know, you can’t mention Indianapolis without mentioning Peyton Manning,” Ryan said. “I know he’s there, I know he’s there. I’ve seen him many years at the Pro Bowl and thinking, ‘Man, I respect the heck out of this guy, but I want to beat him one day.’ I just hope it’s this Saturday.”

Which brings me to the second thing that jumped out from Rex’s newser today, and that is how the Jets worked last week’s preparation, not just for how they would play the Bills on Sunday but beyond.

“We were working, even with the veteran guys, preparing — whether they knew it or not — to go into the playoffs, whether it was Kansas City or Indianapolis,” he said. “Our coaching staff was trying to get ready for both, get our team sharp, and that’s what we did. Our backup players, who we knew we were going to extend for the Bills, maybe they ran some plays that Indianapolis runs or Kansas City runs.

“The fact that our coaches took all last week getting ready not only to prepare for Buffalo but for everybody, we feel we’re ahead of the game. I think that gives us an advantage. Indianapolis had to win that game, they had to put everything they had into preparing to play Tennessee. We were able to sit back a little bit and spend some more time on Indianapolis and Kansas City as well as Buffalo. We divided it a little more equally. We feel we’re ahead now.”

Many other factors will go into how the Jets will fare this time around against the Colts. We’ll explore all those in stories this week. Then whatever happens in the game will validate or invalidate the Green & White approach. If Manning and Co. prevail, the Jets’ approach was flawed. If Rex’s team advances, the Jets’ approach was brilliant. And that’s OK. That’s a part of the game, especially at this time of year.

But also a part of the game is how Ryan and the Jets feel today. They won 11 regular-season games for only the fourth time in franchise history, they’re in the playoffs for only the 14th time and they’re ready to let it roll. Rex expressed a feeling that he and we and all Jets fans should feel this week:

“I can’t express how excited I am about this opportunity because there are a lot of good football teams at home that won’t get this chance. Do I recognize we’re playing an excellent team and one of the greatest quarterbacks in the game? Of course I recognize that. But we’re not going there to lose. We’re going there to win. That’s my mentality, always will be. Again, I’m not apologizing for feeling this way. I believe in our football team. I know that’s an excellent team we’re playing, but they’re getting our best shot. It’s as simple as that.”

Tags: , , ,

65 Responses to “Rex on Why It’s Personal Against Peyton”

1. By bamajetguru on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

That best shot better include amazing coverage of their tight ends and slot rcvrs., or Peyton will feast. Rex must and will have the D hungry, ready to play w/ an edge. Can’t wait for Sat. night.

2. By russ on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Rex you are the one…I like your optimism more people should have it…bu unless you pressure Manning he will win pure and simple…And yesterday Colts were viscious against the run so plan accordingly………….More Brad Smith might be the cure……….

3. By MARKG on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

I JUST WANT TO SEE THE JETS PLAY THE COLTS THE SAME WAY THEY DID THE BILLS. BLITZ THE QB WITH NO RESPECT WHO HE IS FORGET HIS NAME HIT AGAIN AND AGAIN. IF THEY GIVE HIM TOO MUCH TIME HE WILL BURN THEM. POUND AND POUND THEM ON OFFENCE. KEEP BLITZING IF HE BURNS YOU A LEAST WE GO DOWN SWINGING.

PREVENT D-FENCE = LOSING HIT M AGAIN AND AGAIN.

4. By GaryC on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

looking at some of the quotes here in Indy they are not that confident that the colts can beat jets.some are saying they will be happy if they can beat jets, and that will satisfy them.this is just from the fans.

5. By IRA on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

I am not sure what Rex has thrown at Manning during those 6 games. I am sure he has tried different plans and looks. He has to dial up something Manning has not seen yet from Rex. They have to be very physical at the line with their WR’s just like the Titans were yesterday. They also can’t completely sell out on the running game. The Colts did run 25 times for 101 yds yesterday.
    One good thing is AC had 5 picks in 3 games vs Manning in the 07 season including 3 in one game.
    I understand how Rex takes this personal. I take it personal too. I respect him but don’t like him for a few reasons. So its time for payback.
    GO REX and Our Jets!!!!!!

6. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

I agree with MARKG not only about the D but also about how to attack the Colts in general. Few seem to remember it but Feely missed a key FG last yr and I don’t even wanna see us trying any FGs over 40 yds Saturday. For one thing, Manning can go from his 40 to pay dirt in about 2 plays no problem. For another, we’re not gonna beat IND, NE, and PIT by going for FGs. Blame it on Rex or Schotty’s planning or Sanchez’s inconsistent execution, but this team better be ready to put TDs on the board from here on out. Considering we have 2 of the best WRs in the game and a ton of other talent on O, I don’t think it’s too much to ask for a real assault on O. And I don’t wanna see any fake punts that give IND the ball on our side of the field, either!

7. By scjoe on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

I agree with the point that Rex is trying to make re: Peyton and the Colts, what I don’t agree with is going public and telling anyone who listens, to what you intend to do, or at least try to do. Keep it in the locker room, not in the press, that should be enough to get the job done. Beat them on the field not in the papers. The reason being, it stings that much more should you not back it up, of course that is strictly from a fan perspective, I don’t know if the players, the coach’s and the owner would necessarily agree.

8. By scjoe on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Ira, I don’t think there is anything you can through at Peyton that will be very effective short of consistent pressure and tight coverage, especially on those TEs, no matter who they are, and those things come from personal and execution, not schemes. Forget the blitz packages, at least for the most part, because he will eat those up and spit them out. Revis should take Wayne away, but lets be honest, aside from him there has not been anyone else who has been consistent, flashes yes, consistent no! Problem is, that secondary becomes even more critical, and vulnerable, when there is no pressure to speak of. To win this game it will take near perfect execution on defense. Not new looks.

9. By Troy(nyjetsholdSBtrophyin2010 on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Its going to take something we,ve only caught glimpses of at certain spots here and there throughout the year,an offense that is sharp and keeps the chains moving (like at Chicago)but unlike last season’s Title game its the D that worries me not the O ,as long as we catch the ball we will be fine on O, watching alot of indy this year #18 really struggled when teams were able to get in his face and force the short throws to his back up TE and Slot guy that are no where near on the level of Clark & Collie,in the open field,but our lack of pressure is what has me very worried considering they will max-protect with the RB’s.Probably my biggest concern will be how ticky tack the officials are going to be with are DB’s and there WR’s,if they are.

10. By Troy(nyjetsholdSBtrophyin2010 on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

cont,calling the game very tight with the DB’s we stand no chance.There were some very iffy phantom P.I. calls on the titans yesterday so that again is my biggest concern him & Brady are the best at making sure they get those calls.I do think we can run on them if we can get a play or 2 on the outside to Holmes or Edwards and that will keep thier Safetys back,they were loading the box v Titans daring Collins to beat them not C.J. and Tenn did have some success in 1 on 1 vs indy DB’s ,hopefully A-cro will be up to task and doesnt let Garcon get behind him ,cause im confident Revis will limit Wayne ,so Blair White and J.Tamme are the ones we will need to get figured out ,i thnk Cole should be the Nickel on the slot he has played great .

11. By kk on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

This isn’t rocket science folks, the formula is old, tried and true, run, run than run some more. Let the O-Line punish them eat up the clock and score TD’s. This will and should be the formula for the Playoffs due to the QB’s they are facing. We need the D to step up to be honest they scare me, I just haven’t seen anything out of them that scares any of these opponents.
    Rex and Pettine better have something else up their sleeves because what they’ve done this year won’t get it done.
    I love the Jets but the D this year has not been able to pressure anybody!!! So strap ‘em up and get after it!!!

Go Jets!!!!

12. By GaryC on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

It is time for a defensive game plan that clogs the middle of the field and forces Peyton to throw outside the hashmarks and see if revis and cromartie are who we think they are.also another big matchup will be brandon moore against antonio johnson who has helped their run defense.

13. By Alex.G on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

get the ground game going don’t look back the Colts have had struggles with good run teams we are ranked #2 I believe and have some good backs healthy backs Greene can pound the rock L.T is the finesse guy, we run it hard and long enough it can open some pass play to the beast receiver’s we have B.E and S.H not to mention Cotchery and Keller.. the line needs to do a good job keeping Freeney and Mathis at bay and away from Sanchez. they had the Colts last year till, the corner went down with Greene going as well. we can beat them..

14. By frank on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

pound greene! pound greene! pound greene! punish this defense by pounding the rock then play action. only way to keep manning off the field n protect our defense. any other formula were one n done. our oline should dominate this team i dont want to hear how all of a sudden there a run stopping defense. pound pound pound

15. By scjoe on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

To counter the theory that running the ball against the Colts is the recipe to beat them. Remember the game they had against Miami where the Dolphins ran the ball down the Colts throat, held the ball for more then 45 minutes (yes FORTY FIVE MINUTES) well, guess who won that game? The way to beat the Colts is to stop Peyton Manning, or, slow him down to the point where your offense can at least keep up. He is that good, lets not forget that. To outscore a team with a very good running game, and a pretty decent defense, while having only 15 minutes of possession, tells you all you need to know.

16. By GeePee on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

The jets are going to get ate up. Everyone’s worried about the offence. you better worry about that defence. The jets aint got enough offence for the COLTS!!!!

17. By Andy on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

I will be there Saturday night! I am driving up from Cincinnati, OH and we will get this win. Go JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. By GeePee on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

No disrestect to the jets.

19. By IRA on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

frank,
    Agree about Greene but Mathis and Freeney are both great players and will be challenege for the Jets. I do think the Jets can run on the Colts and also hurt them with their passing game. SH,BE,J-Co and Keller will be open all day especially early when the Colts put 8 in the box and dare the Jets to run.

20. By Allen 0"dane on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

The best way to beat Peyton is by keeping him on the sidelines. Ball control. Control the clock and score. 3 and outs for the colts don’t let Manning set the pace. The Jets might have to play more nickel & dime packages but as long as the keep bigger safety’s up front to support the run the Jets could pull this off. Pressure is the key, Peyton has seen it all. The only thing you can do is to have good coverage schemes. And if the LB’s can get some pressure we can force Manning into some INT’s.

21. By Frank on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Rex how about keeping your mouth shut for once. If you try to blitz Manning like you did last year and you did all the other times he ate your lunch you will lose again. 4 man front with Pace and Taylor on the ends with an occasional LB blitz and play cover 2. The key is the pass rush you need to get Pace and Taylor on the side and tell them to dig deep and get their mojo for this game. I better not see Pace on third down chasing Tamme in the backfield.
    Shotty you need to create new player packages and alignments now that McKnight is added to the mix and create confusion for the Colts D and keep them off balance. Quick passes just like the Bears and Steelers game. The success of Brady is the game to game change in player pkgs and alignmts.

22. By Mike Jet Vet on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

What you pound and ground guys don’t seem tp grasp for some strange reason is this ..this is the playoffs no team can win don’t care who they are pounding it in there over and over they team will stack it up and makes us one dimensional …Don’t know what NfL logic your using but if anyone believes we’re going to ground and pound our way 1st through Indy then Pats then steelers or Ravens needs a serious reality check.. M-S needs to have 3 games like he did at Bears then Defence needs to play like they did at Bills …If we don’t smash Manning square in the mouth we lose Period

23. By Tom Spicer on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

I really think the key to this game is going to be the D. I think we can run on them & I think with another year under his belt & a better WR in Holmes we will be able to throw the ball as well. If the D shows up we have a good shot to win this game.

24. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Agree with you completely on the ground and pound delusion, MJV. Sure we gotta run the ball some and sure it would be nice to keep Manning off the field for some long stretches. The problem is taking 8 minutes to go 70 yds mostly by running, then start throwing on 3rd and goal at the 4 as Schotty likes to do, then kick a FG is no way to beat IND, NE, or PIT. The QBs on those teams will just go 80 yds in 3 plays for a TD and leave you with less time to score yourself. We need a good balance of running and passing but most of all we need SH, BE, J-Co, and DK all in the game, gaining yds and scoring points. As we saw last yr, we’re not gonna 10-7 our way to the SB and if anything, the NFL, especially the AFC, is even more pass-happy this yr.

25. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Pardon my typo, I meant to write “…then start throwing on 1ST and goal at the 4 as Schotty likes to do,” etc. It was a Freudian slip on my part in that throwing on 3RD and goal at the 4 is understandable, but Schotty has this weird thing whereby the closer we get to the goal line, the less he believes in the running game. Only excuse I ever heard him offer was a couple times last year when he said he didn’t want to be “too predictable.” Well, we were predictably awful in the red zone this yr, so he’d better re-think that jive. Agree with you totally on O strategy for this game otherwise, MJV, I know ya don’t like me beating too much on Schotty but ya can’t deny he has this strange red zone weakness.

26. By Tom Spicer on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Randy, Is it true the Jets finished # 3 in defense & # 2 in rushing?

27. By Randy Lange on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Tom, the Jets finished the regular season with the No. 3 overall defense (No. 3 also in run defense) and No. 4 in rushing offense.

28. By kimosabe on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

I just hope the pass interference against calls don’t go up next week…

29. By frank on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

scjoe N mikejetvet…. that game ur speaking of was against the fish which is enough said but also manning had all his weapons in that particular matchup, this is not the same quick strike colts. i agree we will have to score thru the air i mentioned play action. im not saying we run 50 out of 60 plays im saying the way u nuetralize their edge rushers is we must run the ball sucessfully or ms will get pummelled.If were true to ourselves n play ‘JETS FOOTBALL’ we should utilize our strenth which is our oline vs their weakness their D. i realize we will score points with passing game but i believe jets ball is grnd n pnd first n not to get in shootouts. win t.o.p. say 35 25 keeping peyton on sidelines GO JETS

30. By frank on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

futhermore im of the opinion if greene didnt get hurt in this game last yr we very well could of won it, tj simply ran out of steam last yr greene had his way with this team. this in my opinion (if we play to our strength) is how we beat the colts i realize its a different gameplan against pitt n ne

31. By Vulcan-Man on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Listen up, even tho i’m still recovering from the NE game, I believe. You wanna know why? Because the game of football is played on emotion and talent, and when the Jets take the field on Saturday, they’re gonna smash the colts with their superior emotion and superior roster talent. Manning aside, look at our roster, it’s stacked! I

f their is a higher power in the universe, and that higher power has any sense of justice, we will then return the favor to Manning for last year and then Brady and Belichik for the last eleven! Time to hurt some QB’s boys! Go get em!

32. By Mike Jet Vet on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Frank what I believe Rex is doing with all his talk he taking the pressure off the players and putting it on his shoulders so they can concentrate on executing in games instead of dealing with the negativity from the likes of the Mike Francesa of the world we’re 11-5 and in the playoffs 2 years in a row if we were 5-11 I’d agree with you get off the mans back he’s doing a great job unless you want to go back to 40 years of mediocrity GO JETS

33. By Pranit on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

If the Jets can’t beat this beaten up Colts team, then they can never beat them…with Dallas Clark, Collie, Bob Sanders etc missing…

go Jets !

34. By Mike Jet Vet on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Cont. and on your post re Brady’s game to game change packages every game is the same plan ((protect T-B)) throw slants screens and slot up the middle to Walker woodhead outs to Fernandez Branch deep with and run thrown in here that’s the game plan week in and week out they do it to perfection no one can stop it unless you hit Brady over and over or get much pressure our chances of winning become greater colts or Pats ..WE NEED TO Rough up the receivers off the line get 5 D-lineman 2 linebackers with Revis Cro Cole — alternating Coleman Cook and Lowery

35. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

I gotta put this in the record for those who said we should’ve gone after Brandon Marshall instead of Holmes or Edwards: I just read in a Miami paper that BM shot off his mouth yesterday about how some folks on O there (meaning Henne and Henning) “aren’t on the same page,” code words for I’m right and they’re wrong. The same article says when Henne threw that pick to McCourty (I saw it, great play) on a pass intended for BM and then underthrew BM on the next pass, BM simply walked off the field and sat down “in frustration.” I want somebody to tell me what kind of noise they think the New York press (not to mention Jets fans) would do if SH or BE ever pulled a stunt like that! P.S. The Great BM racked up his usual 11.8 per catch this yr.

36. By 10and6jets on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

We need to play like Jets, with that mentality and intensity we will win. One game at a time! Go Jets

37. By Fish Hunters on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Get a grip Rex. EVERYTHING is “personal”. This is a childs game played by grown men for ENTERTAINMENT. You’ve embarrased the organization enough. It’s getting to the point the Commish needs to step in and make a change in ownership.

38. By Fish Hunters on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Oh, that’s right it’s the Commish who gave Farve a slap on the wrist in the first place.

39. By Ed in Tucson on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

I like the trend of more touches for BS that we saw v Bills. I’d like to see him throw some short passes off a rollout, dinking & dunking high percentage throws over defenders who are rushing to tackle him. (He’d be smart to pump fake while running around end.) SH, LT & the rest know how to make short passes into long gains. McKnight’s fresh legs will be a welcome addition to the stable. What we’ll soon find out is whether our O is getting it together or the Bills made us look good. If the O is for real they can be our best D. Keep Peyton pacing the sideline while our O gets 7 in 7 5 or 6 times, that’s the formula for getting to Dallas against 3 elite QBs.
    Cole’s emergence makes me more confident about our depth in the D back position.

40. By IRA on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

In last years title game Collie and garcon combined for 18 -274 -2TD’s. Clark even thoug he had a TD and Wayne were held in check for a combined 7 for 90 yds. And remember the Jets benched Lito and started Lowery at CB and after Strickland went down they stopped blitzing as much. harris and Scott got in there early before Strickland left. My major concern is Addai and Brown. Last year Addai had 16-80 for a 5.0 avg and Brown 6-18. Combined 22-98 yds. Can’t have that this year. If the Colts can get any type of running game going the Jets will be in big trouble unless they just outscore them. Which is very possible. The Jets should be able to put up 30 pts or more if they have to. I think 23 is the # they have to hold the Colts to.

41. By IRA on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Sanchez should be able to exploit the cover 2 the Colts play just like he had his way with the Bears. And again after watching the Bills game Taylor played 30 or so snaps and with him and Pace on the field not only in passing situations it made it easier for Pace to get to the QB. Taylor must be used the same way this week.
    Also the Jets have to be carefull of Addai and Brown catching the ball out of the backfield.
    GO JETS!!!!

42. By GaryC on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

remember jet fan tom, edwards and holmes are on a winning team and Marshall isn’t. that does mask a lot of frustration. who knows how edwards and holmes would act in a losing situation.remember holmes has only been with teams that have only won and that includes ohio state.

43. By Frank on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Bottom line in this game is Sanchez needs to make plays. If he does not step up and complete at least 65% of his passes and throws for a couple of scores we will not win the game. We can’t have 7 or 8 minute dirves and end up with FG’s. Shotty must install a new scheme with new player packages and alignments and skip the pre shift nonsense which he has done a good job with the last few weeks. Rex should not hesitate to use his bench if guys aren’t getting it done.

44. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Hey GeePee, you must be one heck of a football fan, spelling offense and defense the British way like you did. Stick to rugger, okay? And Fish Hunters, while Rex’s mouth bothers me sometimes, that’s nothing compared to Goodell’s octopus-like power grabs and his frantic, wrong-headed efforts to change something about the NFL every other week. Which reminds me, Randy, I know you have to print it but we don’t have to like it — Goodell can take his message to the fans and his 18-game fiasco and stick it you-know-where.

45. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

That’s debatable about Marshall, GaryC, a pro does his job and lets the chips fall like Asomugha on OAK, he’s been the best at his position for yrs on the worst team and never a complaint out of him. Frank, I said the same thing about no long drives for FGs from here on out, that’s not gonna work vs. the teams we gotta beat. Schotty shoulda dumped all the shifts about 12 games ago, of course, so I don’t hold out much hope on that front. But the bull’s eye is certainly on his back from now till the end of the yr ’cause scoring points in the first quarter, the last quarter, and every quarter is what we need to do to keep from being one and done. P.S. to Nick: Nice piece on McKnight, nicer to read he might be a post-season factor.

46. By GaryC on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

spread the offense, when colts blitz hit the slants and when they drop, the draw to McKnight who represents the speed in the backfield.simple, right.Shotty are you listening.on defense put pace and taylor on the same side and put taylor on outside shoulder of tackle and that frees up pace with a one on one with running back to get to manning.

47. By Frank on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Tommy 64 honestly enough of the Shotty nonsense. The offense finished 11th this year which is pretty good considering Sanchez is the QB. Here is the bottom line for all of you Sanchez apologists. He was dead last in completion percentage something that has plagued him during college and now the pros. You can’t “manage” a game by completing 54% percent of your passes. He was dead last in QB rating for all starting QB’s who played the entire season. He is holding the offense back period end of story. He is the worst yound QB in the league and he is doing this with the most talented team in the league. So stop blaming Shotty. It’s time for Sanchez to step it up and at least be a middle of the pack QB and if he does we can win.

48. By Ed in Tucson on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Rex is sounding a bit like Capt. Ahab, making Peyton Manning into his personal Moby Dick. When I made that observation to my friend Mike he said that in this case Ahab is the one who looks like a whale. Sorry Rex, you’re actually looking svelte these days, Sexy Rexy ;)
    What the Rex haters are failing to take into account is how much pressure he’s keeping off his players by drawing so much attention to himself. Why was it OK for Herm Edwards to say “You play to win the game” but it’s not OK for Rex to say he’s going to Indianapolis to win?
    Go Rex! Go Jets!

49. By john ski on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

The keys to this game will be time of possession, keeping Sanchez out of the shot gun so that it looks like the run could be an option, and Schottenheimer not getting bored with his own game plan. I agree with the comment about Rex not saying what we’re gonna do in the papers…once that happens we seem to lose handle on our strengths and try to suprise the other team and it doesn’t work. Our defense is good, but Manning will score points no matter what. Keeping the ball longer gets us past them!

50. By Ed in Tucson on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

What a pleasure it is to read transcripts of Rex’s entertaining news conferences after 3 years of Mangini’s tediously non-specific mumblings. It’s refreshing to see someone who’s not afraid to let his passion show & inspires his players to play with the passion that’s necessary to win in football.
    I liked the joke he made about firing Schotty if he let MS throw any passes during that first drive in Buffalo. I also loved that he values having fun while seriously wanting to win:
    “First thing, I went over to Sanchez, I said, “Hey, let’s make sure we give Schotty a little shot here. Let’s line up in empty and then shift back.” That’s what we did the first play [laughing]. We wanted to get Schottenheimer’s blood going a little bit.” LOL :)

51. By Peter on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

A few REMINDERS for JETS success.

1. OFFENSE is about ***(BLOCKING, BLOCKING,BLOCKING)***. The OL, TEs, WRs all staying on their BLOCKS!

2. MARK SANCHEZ has to keep (TWO) hands on the football.
    When SANCHEZ was NOT throwing the football accurately during the 3 game losing streak, it seem like there was something wrong with SANCHEZ throwing motion or his foot work. And SANCHEZ seem to throw the football much more ACCURATELY when SANCHEZ keep *(TWO)* hands on the football.

3. JETS DEFENSE need to PRESSURE PEYTON MANNING.

4. Jets DEFENSE need to **(STRIP)** the football.

52. By Mike Jet Vet on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

CONT. Fish hunters change the commish as you call him is the one that needs to go and fast be4 he changes American football into soccer or foosball are you european on/ ? or amer I can take a chill pill and enjoy the ride

53. By GaryC on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

here is a thought for the commissioner to think about.maybe to prevent more helmet to helmet contacts why don’t you bring back the clothesline tackle.give the defense a way to tackle where in wouldn’t involve the head to head contact.I don’t know what the statistics were in the 50′s and 60′s with that kind of tackling, I know what bednarik did to gifford, but would it be better than the concussions you see today.

54. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Criticizing Schotty doesn’t mean you can’t be honest about Sanchez, Frank. I’m upset with MS’s inaccuracy and inconsistency, too, but I’m not sure the move is to dump the $50 million-QB before you at least give him a shot with a different OC. The OC we’ve got hasn’t been able to put points on the board or passing yds in the books through a bunch of QBs over 4 or 5 yrs. So I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that if we are out of the playoffs quickly because we can’t score points against IND or NE, it’s time to consider changing OC’s. Then if MS doesn’t show marked improvement next yr, well, maybe it’s time to think about a change at QB, too. Ed, I totally agree about Rex’s ability to have fun as HC, that’s my favorite thing about him.

55. By Tom Spicer on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Frank, You cleary have no idea what you are talking about. QB rating means nothing its a stat based mostly off of completion percentage & it does no factor in fumbles lost & rushing TD’S for a QB. Your boy Cutler has less yards than Mark in 1 more game. only 3 more TD’S & 6 more turnovers yet he is ranked 12 spots higher. Henne, Alex Smith, Jason Campbell are ranked higer than him ALEX SMITH ! IF THAT DOES NOT TELL YOU that it is screwed up nothing will.. Next year Alex Smith will be working in shop rite! Mark has 3,300 yards & 20 TD’S with only 13 turnovers sorry that is a good year. The most talented team in the league really than why are we underdogs every team has better odds to win the superbowl over us but the Seahawks.

56. By Frank on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Thats right Spicer the odds are low because Sanchez is the QB if we had a decent QB they would be much higher. Secondly, you are the clueless one Cutler has thrown over 52 TD passes the last 2 years with a lousy offensive line and no name receivers while Sanchez has thrown 29 TD passes with a signifcantly better offense including receivers and RB’s and running game. You my friend are dilusional.

57. By Arte Old School Section 327 on Jan 4, 2011 | Reply

Guess what JetNation?? We are peaking right now!! Two weeks ago, Rex tweaked Sanchez and the Offense going back to basics..Without LT & SG! Last week the Defense was given a mini-camp for fundamentals and we saw our best game yet (without TP, DR, AC, SE) Something tells me this team is ready to walk the walk.. It’s ALL about MOMENTUM!! We should have another complete game this Saturday.. Revenge will be sweet!! TOM, stay tuned.. I think we’re going to pummel Indy.. I see a final score of 34-20.. It could even be more lopsided!! We are ready.. We are peaking right now!! Dare I say see you in Dallas???? Stay tuned (anything can happen.. one “upset” on the road at a time :-)

58. By Tom Spicer on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Frank, You forgot to add Cutlers 47 turnovers in the last two years & his NFL leading 27 last year

59. By Tom Spicer on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Frank, The Bears have no name receivers only to someone who doesnt watch football. Greg Olsen stud tight end, Matt Forte & Chester Taylor 2 of the better pass catching backs in the NFL, Devin Hester & good WR & the best return man in the NFL & Johhny Knox a up & coming WR who absolutely tourched us. Are you serious really?

60. By Tom Spicer on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

Frank, 47 turnovers for Cutler to 37 for Mark over the last two years. NICE. The 5th year QB had more turnovers than Mark as a rookie & as in his 2nd year. Cutler has less passing yards than Mark in 1 less game LOL.

61. By rsanch on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

I know alot people especially in the media seem to cringe at the notion that a coach believes his team will win and he expects victory at every snap! I have absolutely no problem whatsoever in how Coach Rex approaches his team and places those expectations on them. When did it become a crime to have confidence in your team ? Modesty has it’s place but it’s never a shoe in for victory. Victory only comes when one performs better than the other and takes advantage of oportunities when given to them. I have seen just as many modest individuals get thier butts kicked as I’ve seen from the big mouths, if u will! Ali proved both sides of my theory during his stellar boxing career. The Jets are lucky to have Rex!

62. By rsanch on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

I agree Old School. I think we will handle Indy. I hope the score will be like you said, because if you know anything about Indy and Manning is that you have to score and score often! And keep pressure on Manning constantly. Even if he has some success against your “D” you have to keep it coming becasue sooner or later something will happen and I believe we have the personal to execute that. Remember! when we lost 2 key players in last years playoffs? We went south and never recovered. Hopefully that won’t happen sat. nite!

63. By charliejet on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

My 2 cents worth…….all these recipes for the jets to win as stated on this blog is true and for the most part if any team were to do these things in most cases will win. But the trick is CONSISTENCY and poise. Jets need to play from opening second to the final gun every play every down. BIG D – please don’t put Manning in a 3rd and 22 and then he gets a first down -or more devastating a 1st down because of a pass interference or by some “stupid comedy of errors”. After years of frustration you just start thinking or expect some heart breaking moment to occur. There is one way to get rid of that WIN! and keep winning. Sorry fellow fans don’t mean to sound so down. WIN! WIN! WIN! TOM 64′ – good to see you back !

64. By ROCKIN317 on Jan 8, 2011 | Reply

All I can say is GO COLTS!! Let’s send the Jets back to the “Core” battered and bruised. Being from Indianapolis I was and to an ex-stint am still a Jets fan.
    GO COLTS..GO COLTS..GO COLTS!!!

65. By Patriot on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

Hey Rex !

How many superbowl games have you won ???? NONE…Shut up and earn the right to talk about how bad you are when you get to being bad. What a loud mouth coach. He has never won anything and he thinks he is as good a another coach that has done more in 4 years than Rex has done is his life time. The Patriots will show you who they are and they will show you what kind of coach you are and then maybe you will learn to speak when you have done something . Go Patriots