• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Road Skill: Rex, Jets Set Record Going Away

Posted by Randy Lange on January 17, 2011 – 6:25 pm

The second-biggest game in franchise history? Rex Ryan admitted today that he actually didn’t mean to say that about the Jets’ 28-21 conquest of the Patriots on Sunday.

“I think that’s what I was trying to get at. I left a word out — ‘win.,’ ” Ryan said at his news conference back at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center this afternoon. “I always said I wasn’t born with a silver tongue. I don’t articulate things very well. I was hoping somebody picked up on that.”

So what the second-year head coach meant to say was that if the Jets beat the Patriots, it would have been the second-biggest win in franchise history. In other words, instead of the second-biggest game ahead in the affirmative sense, it would be the second-biggest victory in the conditional sense.

Never mind. Things worked out quite well and the triumph over the Patriots indeed moves right up there into the pantheon of Jets triumphs, somewhere close behind Super Bowl III.

Another thing that victory in the AFC Divisional Round did was to separate the Jets from the crowd in terms of a lesser known NFL postseason record.

The Jets have become the first team in league history to win four road playoff games in consecutive seasons.

With the successes at Cincinnati and San Diego last season and Indianapolis and New England this year, the Green & White can lay claim to being pro football’s ultimate road warriors — and can put daylight between themselves and all other road contenders with one more away win on Sunday at Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship Game.

How many of the six other teams with three road playoff wins in back-to-back seasons can you name. I’ll plug in the answer below.

Make that five other teams because one of the six was Ryan’s 2008 Ravens, making him the master of the NFL road as a winning head coach or coordinator for six road playoff games in the past three years

“You definitely would prefer to take a different route. I would’ve loved for teams to come into our place, our brand new stadium, with our fans behind them,” Ryan said. “I’ll be honest. I wasn’t wanting Indy to be in there. ‘Oh, great, now we’ve got to go play at Indy. OK, we’ll go face ‘em and see what happens.’ Then Tom Brady at New England, then Ben Roethlisberger at Pittsburgh. I don’t know how many Super Bowls they’ve got, but they’ve got a bunch of ‘em.”

And now the home teams have to have the same worries about Rex, Mark Sanchez, Darrelle Revis, David Harris, Bart Scott, Shaun Ellis, et al., coming to visit them.

“I think we’ve learned a great deal from being in the playoffs last year and traveling on the road for three games. That helps us, gives our guys confidence. I don’t know if it tightens your focus more,” he said. “We want to be AFC champions to start with. That’s the thing we want to start with this week. It’d be a great step for us. Then we’ll worry about the next week after we get there. But there’s a long road to go before we get there.”

And no better team in NFL history, according to the record just set, to attempt to traverse that road all the way to Dallas in three weeks.

Rex and Bill

No doubt some think Ryan is somehow being cagey or sarcastic when he praises Bill Belichick, but that’s not the case. Ryan was asked again today about winning that personal battle that he set out for himself against the Patriots head coach (and, dare we forget, former Jets head coach for a day in 2000).

“I never outcoached Belichick — there’s no way,” he said. “I’m just saying that: Our players outplayed their players. That’s really what it came down to. There was nothing schematically that I did to win that game. Our guys were prepared to play and that’s my job and all that. But to say I outcoached Belichick, I would not agree with that. That’s almost a joke.”

And who will Ryan make it personal with this week as the Steelers preparations begin? He also clearly expressed his admiration for Pittsburgh boss Mike Tomlin.

“I’ve got a great deal of respect for Mike. He’s one of my favorite coaches,” Ryan said. “Give me somebody to call out. I guess it’s Hines Ward and Casey Hampton.”

Rex was joking, we think.

Those Other Road Warriors

The 1978-79 Houston Oilers were the first NFL team to win three playoff games (not counting the Super Bowl) in two consecutive seasons. They were followed by the 1985 Patriots, the 2000-01 Ravens (Rex was also on that staff), the ’05 Steelers, the ’07 Giants and the ’08-09 Ravens before the Jets passed them all up the past two seasons.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

42 Responses to “Road Skill: Rex, Jets Set Record Going Away”

1. By jet80 on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

This season is really starting to look like destiny for the jets.Yeah im scared with everyone of these elite teams we keep drawing but it seems like its meant to be with each one and it makes it that much better when we win.The COLTS,knocked us out last year and this time we pay them back.the PATS,always in our way and in their shadow,we make a statement knock the unstopple #1 seed out and might just be the sweetest victory ive felt.The STEELERS,Payback for taking us out in 2004(still hurt on that one).what a story,its meant to be.

2. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Let’s get something straight right now, for guts and class ON the field, Ben R leaves Brady in the dust. (Okay, Brady leaves Ben R. in the dust for off-the-field behavior, but that’s got nothing to do with Sunday.) But we have a lot to feel good about going into this game. Sanchez is getting better and better in the cold weather and has already won in PIT. This was his best-ever game for working in all 3 WRs and for those who are upset about Keller not catching more passes, you should be happy that nobody complains about his blocking anymore. LT seems to have more left than in any post-season of his career and SG is looking more like the post-season beast he was last yr. And that’s just on O, I’ll let somebody else celebrate our awesome D.

3. By jerryt on Jan 17, 2011 | Reply

Why do sports reporters ask the stupidest, most inane questions possible? Are there no more reporters who can ask a well thought out question that actually procures information that’s not obvious to even an idiot??

4. By Tim in So Cal on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

> Randy, Was anyone on the out side privy to the Dennis Byrd experiance with the team ? Did any one record it and will we some time in the near future be privy to it? That was deffinetly an apointment with desitony!!!!! Please let us know. Thanks Tim in So Cal. J E T S JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!!!!!

5. By Randy Lange on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Tim, that was a team-only event, no audio, video or reporters like me on hand. So we have to go by what the Jets have told us about Dennis’ message that night.

6. By VIinnie on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I was up in New England Sunday Night it was a blast. Probally not going to Pitt to far a drive plus have work monday. I was wondering Eric or Randy if the team might open the stadium on sunday night and show the game on the big screen. I think that would be fun a lot of people would go. Hope to win and then see you guys and the Jets in Dallas.

7. By IRA on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Randy, I said way back in March when Mr. T was making all the changes that this was going to be a SB or Bust season and they are right at the foot steps of getting there.
    Everybody knows they play better on the road so i am not shocked at all about those facts you wrote they could accomplish. I expect them to and beat Pitt. It won’t be easy. Their o-line is a mess but having TP back is HUGE. Plus Big Ben has one of his favorite targets back in Miller. he will not drop balls like Spaeth did last month.
    This game has a whole different feel than last months did and whats at stake. They can’t let Ben make plays with his feet and they have to stop Mendenhall and Moore this time around. Key to this game is to protect the ball.

8. By IRA on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

As we all saw in the Balt game the Steelers won because they caused turnovers and it created a shorter field for Pitt. As long as the Jets don’t turn over the ball they will win this game.
    Jets 23- Steelers 20
    BTW Big Ben has lost his last two game vs the Jets.
    GO JETS!!!!
    Hope to see all in Dallas!!!!

9. By Walt on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Sometimes people can be a little slow The Jets play the Colts Yep AFC champions An onside kick away from being super bowl champions. A hall of fame Quarterback in his prime.Can the jets win everyone says no way.Guess what the jets win.The patriots best record in the NFL.They beat everybody by thirty points.Can the Jets win Everyone says no way. Guess what the Jets win.You would think by now everyone would realize that no one is going to derail the Jet Express.No one not the Colts Patriots Steelers or Packers are going to keep the Jets from becoming NFL champions.As long as they bring there A game no one can beat them.Go Rex road warriors.Go Jets.

10. By carl on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Coach Ryan, Thank You!! Mr. Johnson, Thank you!! Jets Nation is strong again!!!Lets make Dallas”The Home of The JETS”!!Go Jets!!!!

11. By Jetnut81 on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

The Jets ARE a team of destiny. Too many things have gone right for the team this year for them to lose now. If the jets can continue to run the ball so well, and especially the defensive schemes Ryan’s been putting out there to confuse not one, but 2 superbowl qb’s, NOBODY IS STOPPIN THE JETS!!

12. By BLINKA posts, no one heeds on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

’64

I would go after Big Ben. Put the game on Cromartie and Revis and send the house. If their O-line is a weakness, then exploit it. I would also not be affraid to run the ball on them. Weather may be bad so we may have no choice. This will be a real he-man game.

But who cares what I think,
    Stan Blinka #54

13. By GaryC on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

this is the game the jets are really going to have to be physical.Pats and colts are more finesse, pittsburgh is more physical, even big ben over brady and manning.If the jets get a shot at ben they better go low because he will shrug them off if they go above the waist, also the defensive backs better stay with receivers until whistle blows because ben can keep the play alive, he will not go down like manning and brady.

14. By Frank on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I like the teams tact this week praising the Steelers and Tomlin. They already beat them just a few weeks back so there is no reason to incite them. Second the Steelers are a lot more physical than the Pats there is no reason to give Harrison more fuel to head hunt Sanchez or our receivers.
    While all these playoff wins have been great football and have extended the season it is by the way a meaningless record. This team hasn’t won anything including a divisional or conference championship something all the aforementioned teams accomplished. Rex you can toot your horn about your road wins once you win the Superbowl as you have guaranteed. You were given the talent to do it so git r done!

15. By alex on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Another rally needed!!

16. By scjoe on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I like the match up in Pit. I think it is a better one then they had in NE, simply because Pit don’t have the offensive weapons that NE has, if Revis can control Wallace that would eliminate a big part of their offense. I know that Heath Miller didn’t play in the last game and I believe Ben will try to make him a big part of the offense, but I still believe it is advantage Jets. One concern? That would be Folk kicking in Heinz Field. Sure hope it don’t come down to a late FG again. Deja vue all over again. Oh yea, lets not forget Polamula who didn’t play that last game either. Go Jets!!!!!!!

17. By DarrylD on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Jets your defense was superb until the last 4:00 minutes of the game. Made it pretty scary for me…One more time Jets and we’re in…Let’s leave everything out on Heinz field…Let’s show the none believers we are here because we beat the elite teams of the AFC…One more win guys and we are there…Play inspired and you will get there…GO JETS!!!!!!!

18. By GaryC on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

where is the animal from the wrestling road warriors,Laurinitis needs to get in touch with his dad, so he can be on the jet sideline in his wrestling garb.that would really freak out the steelers.

19. By Frank on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Ira if they win I will see you in Dallas…a short drive for me by the way. If Sanchez plays well we win the game its as simple as that. Troy was a non factor last week and is clearly hurting. I watched the replay of the Steelers win last night. Rex has to play defense the same way they did the last 2 weeks and let our DB’s cover guys and rush 4 guys. Ben is much better than Brady in moving out of the pocket and the Steelers receivers are much better deep threats than the Pats.

20. By scjoe on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Frank about how Rex is handling it so far. Really no need to incite a guy like Harrison, I think he is capable of anything. If you look at the teams that are left in the tournament, maybe with GB being the exception (in the running game), all have strong ground games and top 5 defenses. Make no mistake about it, defense STILL wins championships.

21. By 37 year fan on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I am most proud of the fact that we have turned ” Same old Jets ” into a positive statement ….Woody is THE Best owner in football . The week we buried the ball , was probably the lowest point we have ever faced …To return from that point … WE NEEDED THIS WIN .. and we took it …it wasn’t handed to us . Now we need to smash Palomalu early …And Heinz Ward , and put the same pressure on the ‘ berger , that we put on Brady . STAY HUNGRY ….

22. By 37 year fan on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Send John Conner on some smash blocks on Palomalu

23. By 37 year fan on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Ellis , you are beautiful man

24. By IRA on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Frank,
    Totally agree. You do not want to fire up that D in Pitt that already is the top D and plays a hard hitting nasty game. Keep the confidence going but proceed with caution while talking about them. Plus just my own personal thoughts about Pitt. It is the best NFL city in the league, the fans are usually very very polite and the organization is one of the tops.

25. By GaryC on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

they call pittsburgh a great football franchise, but where were they before the 70’s. you don’t hear them call the browns a great football franchise and look what they did in the 40’s and 50’s.No one remembers what happened yesterday let a lone 60 years ago.

26. By Frank on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

That’s right Ira 15 AFC championship games in 40 years that is remarkable. I was a big Steeler fan as a kid loved Franco Harris was my nickname since I was a RB in the pee wee leagues then and Jack Lambert was my favorite Defensive player. The Jets weren’t very good those days and sitting in all those games at Shea there wasn’t much to cheer about. There is no doubt the Steelers are the best organization in football.
    Having said all that since Woody bought the team and Parcells showed up we have been lucky to have so many years of good football and has been a great time to be a Jet fan. Let’s hope we get it done this year!

27. By GaryC on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

look, the original road warriors were hope and crosby but neither one could block a lick.

28. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Well, of course, GaryC, some of us remember when the Steelers were the biggest joke in the league, the Detroit Lions of their day — oh wait, the Lions were a joke then, too, but not now. The Browns fans I know are some of the best football fans on Earth but aren’t you forgetting that Modell really killed the franchise when he took it to BAL? This is really a different Browns franchise. Blinka, thanks for the D ideas, wish you were still out there on the field! Ira, I agree about the guys we got but as you know, I don’t agree that we’ll let any of the key ones get away. And I think the respect for Ben, Tomlin, and the Steelers has mostly to do with the fact that on a personal level they deserve it much more than Brady, Bill, and the Pats.

29. By Too Kool on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Wasn’t sure I’d live to see this day. I am 52 years old, meaning I was 10 in ’69, and I believe the miracle of the Jets finally returning is in sight. In those 42 years, I always wore my Jet gear proudly, even in the Kotite years. Never believed last year because of the Colts dominance, but this year, truly feel we can beat Steelers, now that Pats are in rear view. My 80 year old Dad is hoping he’ll see it as well, given his advancing age. Thanks Rex and boys, we long sufferers finally have hope that the light at the end of tunnel is the shine of the Lombardi trophy, and not the same old Jets locomotive.

30. By GaryC on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

yes jet fan tom I am aware it is a different franchise but also remember the lions did beat the browns in two of those championships with bobby layne so even the lion franchise had more to cheer about back then.I wonder how many steeler fans remember ben mcgee, paul martha.

31. By Mike V on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

I am also 52 years old and just 10 when the Jets won the Super Bowl in ’69. Those of us who were around then know that we were “AFL Champions” and “World Champions” but have never been NFL Champions. That is about to change. The best part of the last decade is that my 12 year old son – who is also a rabid Jets fan – has never known them as SOJ’s. He wears his Jets tie to school, his Jets jerseys with his buddies, has Jets stuff all over his room, and everyone is in awe of Rex’s Jets. I went from 5th grade until grad school without the Jets making the playoffs – even once! Now my son thinks it is automatic; the Jets go every year. Thank God for Woody, Rex (and his dad), and Mike T! (Credit Parcells plus Herm and Mangini too.) VIVA REX!

32. By GaryC on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

jets on the brink of super bowl conjurs up names of announcers associated with jet teams of the past, merle harmon, sam deluca, gowdy, derogatis, kyle rote, spencer ross,charlie jones, jim simpson,If we could have one of those voices for the super bowl.

33. By GaryC on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

we need to give kotite some credit, they say you need to hit rock bottom before you can move up,so, since he left the jets have made playoffs pretty regularly

34. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Believe me, GaryC, my diehard Browns fans remember it ALL. As for folks remembering the old Steelers, probably not so much but I’m glad they’ve never tried to move the team. That’s really great about your son, Mike V, if that’s his mindset I’ll bet HE’S not moping around about how we’re gonna lose either Holmes or Edwards. I really think some Jet fans, perhaps not surprisingly, can’t conceive a Jets universe in which things actually work out okay for more than a game or two. Someday I hope to tell your son about the sunny blue skies and wicked winds at Shea, the little green jet driving around on the sideline, the hot dogs sitting in lukewarm water for so long that eating one would destroy your stomach, but you kept eating ‘em anyway…

35. By scjoe on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

GaryC I can hear Curt Gowdy and Al DeRogatis right now doing SB lll all over again, just as I remember Ray Scott doing those GB Packer games. I will never forget that distinctive voice, “Starr sends Dale to the left Dowler to the right Pitts lined up in the I behind Taylor. Those were the days my friend. Before the Jets came in to play, I was a big Packer fan, simply because of Lombardi. Still have a place in my heart for them (except when they play the Jets)

36. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

Gowdy and Derogatis have to be my favorites on that list, GaryC. I had a friend who used to do a brilliant comic bit, really worthy of a skilled stand-up guy, on Derogatis saying, “I can’t help but feel…” after every other play. As for hitting rock bottom, that’s another reason I think you’ll see aggressive signings by the Jets, not only of guys we got but new guys, maybe another LT/JT-like signing or two. Rolle and Phillips can’t even wait for the season to be over to switch sides! Sad to say there will also be some aggressive cuts, I’ll be surprised if VG is active again this yr. and I’m sure there will be no shortage of kickers ready to go up against Folk next summer. We still need more draft picks but that’s for after Sunday…

37. By akil on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

This is going to be a good game. we did it before so it can be done agian…you can say who didn’t play amd who did but one player shouldn’t change how your team plays. WE GOT THIS!!!

38. By Mike Jet Vet on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

So Frank make me understand something no one else running the Jets or any coach ever maybe 1 other gets 2 AFC Champ games back to back him being HC 2 years QB and RB 4-1 in playoffs wins 2 years on the road no less in your eyes he hasen’t won anything yet . Let me know when you come close to acheving anything near it ok

39. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

By the way, GaryC, by “for after Sunday” I don’t mean we’re gonna lose, I mean I’m not thinking seriously of anything regarding the post-season, this Sunday comes before EVERYTHING else. As for Ray Scott, my favorite, of course, is, “Travis Williams…GONE!” That’s not as funny as it used to be, though, after the sad end that Williams came to. Forget about that stupid 18-game season, Goodell, let’s make sure NFL players can move on and retire with dignity. I’m actually pretty shocked that with all these guys go through, they only get medical benefits for five yrs after retiring. After playing a game like this, they should get ‘em for life.

40. By joe li/fla on Jan 18, 2011 | Reply

hi ! gary c, sc joe,& tom’64! my favoite announcers were merle harmon & otto graham! i lived in nassau co- couldn’t to games-too young. i had to lesson on the radio. we had games on sat night! this is befor we could “sell out” games. but tom that kid “little green jet” (who was a son of coach) on his go cart-with jet airplane is one of the reasons the mets got us evicted. i was at the game, he was going too fast to make the turn and wiped out their first base seat boxes. he wasn’t hurt, so it was ok. anyway “time out for a 60 second jet brake” i can stll hear it.! anyway, i’m so tired of fans saying-“i’ve never seen a super bowl” i hope we can give them one again-it’s too long1

41. By GaryC on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

joe li/florida, merle harmon was great especially when he said Sauer split to the left, Maynard flanked out wide.yes before the blackouts were lifted he did bring the games into the living rooms.I always wondered watching packer games why ray scott always did them,found out later he was their announcer. like lindsey nelson doing the cotton bowl.

42. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 19, 2011 | Reply

Ah yes, joe li/fla and GaryC, those were the days, when Glickman announced for the GIANTS! I never quite got used to him on the Jet games. Plus he pioneered one of the phrases that unfortunately got burned into the Jet mindset, to the detriment of both the franchise and the NFL as a whole — “No flags!”