• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 11:50 AM EST Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Herbie Teope of Chiefs Digest in Kansas City. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from Arrowhead Stadium.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Fri., Nov. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 08, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

Mr. T Asked: Will They Stay or Will They Go?

Posted by Eric Allen on January 28, 2011 – 3:30 pm

The utter heartbreak in the Jets’ locker room last Sunday in Pittsburgh was the result of many factors. After the Green & White’s championship dreams were shattered at Heinz Field, many players lamented that the team would never be the same again.

This afternoon the team’s savvy architect held a season-ending conference call with reporters to address the state of his team. It was no surprise that personnel questions dominated the conversation as the NFL looks to be headed toward a spring of uncertainty.

Labeling both RB LaDainian Tomlinson and OLB Jason Taylor as “similar situations,” Mr. T. said he expected both veterans would return. But he left the door open on changing his mind.

“Unexpected things can happen from contracts to other acquisitions you may make, but we expect LaDainian back and I expect him to contribute for another year in 2011,” said Tannenbaum.

Tomlinson led the Jets in regular-season play with 914 yards on the ground and six rush TDs. And LT, who averaged 4.0 yards a carry in the postseason and led the club in its three-game run with three TDs, also had 52 receptions.

“He ran the ball well, but he was a also great complement to Shonn [Greene] relative to the passing game, pass protection, and brought a lot of leadership to the team as well,” said Mr. T.

Taylor, who is the NFL’s active leader with 132.5 sacks, added five sacks to his total plus a safety at Pittsburgh in the regular season. The 36-year-old, a former Jets tormenter with 14 pro seasons under his belt, also took on a leadership role in his first season with New York’s AFC representative.

“We expect him back. Obviously once we get closer to the season and other players are here, things can always change,” Tannenbaum said. “But one thing I can say about Jason is he did so many good things for us from an intangible leadership standpoint, his effect on other players — Bryan Thomas and Jamaal Westerman in particular. He’s a pro’s pro. We’re lucky to have him. People like LaDainian, Tony Richardson and Jason Taylor, their leadership is really hard to quantify sometimes.”

Decisions will also have to be made on an interesting additional trio of vets in T-Rich, RT Damien Woody and NT Kris Jenkins. In regard to Richardson and Woody, they both could have competition for their jobs in FB John Conner, the fifth-round pick from Kentucky last April, and Vladimir Ducasse, the second-round selection from Massachusetts in 2010. It should be noted that Wayne Hunter, who played so well for the Jets when Woody went down with a pair of injuries late in the season, is also a UFA.

“Those are two guys we’re going to take a long look at,” Tannenbaum said of Richardson and Woody. “They’ve both done a great job for us, both are great leaders in their own right. No decision has been made on either guy and we’ll see how it goes, but I can say we would not have had the success we’ve had without those two players.”

Meanwhile, Jenkins, who has been limited to just seven games in the Rex Ryan era due to two ACL tears in his left knee, hopes to make a comeback. Whether that attempt takes place in Florham Park, N.J., remains to be seen.

“We haven’t made a decision. It would be very intriguing to see what he could do over a 16-game season playing under Rex,” said Mr. T. “Unfortunately, that hasn’t happened yet, but we’ll take a long look at his situation as well.”

After three seasons with the Jets and a number of long looks, Vernon Gholston could be looking for a new home. The Ohio State product, selected No. 6 overall in 2008, hasn’t had a pro sack after amassing 22.5 on the collegiate level.

“He’s been given his fair share of opportunities and it could be time to move on,” Tannenbaum said, “but we’re not ready to say that yet.”

Two young players to keep an eye on are CB Kyle Wilson and DL Marcus Dixon. While the Jets hope to re-sign Antonio Cromartie, they have high hopes for Wilson

“Kyle’s future is one of our paramount objectives for the offseason in terms of his development. He has a great work ethic, he loves the game, and I expect that he’s going to be a contributor for us for years to come,” said Tannenbaum. “I’m glad that he’s here and we’ll need him to play at a higher, more consistent level next year.”

After being awarded off waivers from Dallas last September, the 6’4”, 295-pound Dixon got some valuable reps down the stretch.

“It could be a guy like Marcus Dixon who has to play a lot more next year and I see no reason why Dixon can’t be a big contributor for us.”

Tags: , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 38 Comments »

38 Responses to “Mr. T Asked: Will They Stay or Will They Go?”

1. By IRA on Jan 28, 2011 | Reply

I would really like to see LT back but Greene has to be the featured RB. Its hard to replace all that LT gave them esecially those 52 catches. I had him at 50 before the season started and that was the biggest reason they signed him over TJ. If McKnight can take the next step i would love to see him and LT used as change of pace RB’s.
    Interesting stat here. The Jets had 46 plays inside the 10 yd line of their opponents. They passed 27 times and ran only 19 times. 58% of the time they passed which goes against them being a ground and pound team. They did rush for 8 TD’s and passed for 6 Td’s inside the 10.

2. By steven on Jan 28, 2011 | Reply

I would like to see Cullen and Kris play together

3. By GaryC on Jan 28, 2011 | Reply

jet fan tom, here is another draft tidbit, remember last year I did not want to hear about Golden Tate as a jet draft pick, this year I do not want to hear cameron heyward of ohio state as our pick.after gholston I do not want to hear about any other ohio state DEFENSIVE LINEMAN.

4. By GaryC on Jan 28, 2011 | Reply

if the jets are so high on dixon then why did they dress tevaseua for the steeler game.

5. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 28, 2011 | Reply

That’s more than an interesting statistic, Ira, it’s evidence of Schotty’s failure, especially when you add that we were 30th, I think, in the red zone. It’s also evidence that Rex’s hands-off approach on O isn’t working. If he wasn’t Rex, what would you say about a HC who bloviates about “ground and pound” but doesn’t do it where it counts most, in the red zone? You’d say he’s inept and ask if I’m quoting somebody like Cable or Mangini. As for Mr.T, for my money he gave all the right answers in this interview, even if you have to try to read into subtleties as if he’s a government official. Based on who he got last yr, I’ll bet he’ll do okay this yr. I hope he’s right about last yr’s picks, though, and that this yr he gets more picks.

6. By Gary on Jan 28, 2011 | Reply

If the Jets are willing to offer Cromartie a contract, why not pay an extra few dollars to see if Nnamdi Asomugha would come here.

7. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 28, 2011 | Reply

Gary and GaryC, TOTALLY agree with you on both Ohio State D guys (I know you’re partly joking) and the Aso/Cro $ shakeout. I don’t wanna see any D lineman under 300 lbs picked, no more of this nonsense of a 265-lb lineman who’s supposed to suddenly learn how to play LB. By the way, if — yes, I’ll say it — if we can’t keep both SH and BE, 2 guys I like a lot are Jackson and Floyd. Of course, what I really like over there is Rivers’ ability to turn anyone into a good WR, as he so amazingly did in that HOU game. Sanchez is not gonna have that kind of magic wand for some time if ever, so those who think a team that only scores 64 pts in three playoff games can afford to relax about WRs or any other skill position on O had better think twice.

8. By Joe D. on Jan 28, 2011 | Reply

We know there are going to be changed made there has to be we need to be the dominating force not a team that squeeks into the playoffs 2 years in a row. We need to find another promissing receiver as well as the next back that is willing to step up I think Joe mcknight can do that but most of all we need that leading pass rusher with out that the jets are just another plain team looking to get to the promise land without having all the right pieces.
    These key players need to return Ellis, Taylor, Tomlinson, Holmes and Edwards need to to be resigned letting anyone of them go would be a major mistake and these palyers should not be greedy either as they should realize how promissing of a team the Jets really are.

9. By westrocker on Jan 28, 2011 | Reply

I dont know everything there is to know about football but what I can tell you is I loved the way both Greene and L.T. were used and I hope to see that same scheme used again. it takes the focus off one player and the whole team work thing really comes into play.As far as Jason Taylor goes…I didn’t see him do so much this season that I would say if he didn’t return we would miss him.

10. By Ridge34 on Jan 28, 2011 | Reply

We definatley need to give a long term contract to Braylon Edwards, he is a phenomenal preimeter blocker, who has proved this year has good hands (with only 2 unofficial recorded drops). He is a big bodied, Jumping, playmaker that we need for years to come. Santonio Holmes is also an extreme talent, I would love to see a dealk structured to keep him as well. I personally believe that Antonio Cromartie had a good season,and that he was targeted alot due to QBs fearing Revis, which caused him too always be responsible for breaking up a play. I personally would like to see us part ways with David Harris though, he is simply too slow to make the amount of tackles that many other inside linebackers are capable of making, and hes pricy to resign

11. By scjoe on Jan 29, 2011 | Reply

I listened to Mr Ts conference call and he said just about what I had expected, NOTHING! He gave no commitments, no promises, no nothing. We will all have to stay tuned. 64tom, I will say this about acquiring defensive players, especially those through the draft, I agree, no more experiments with 265lb 4-3 college DEs and “trying” to convert them to pro 3-4 OLBs. You have to get really lucky. I would go after the 6’5″ 295 lb DEs and the 6’4″ 245 lb prototypical college OLBs. At least in the top of the draft, and lets not forget those 6’3″ 340-350 lb DTs either, because we need one sooner rather then later.At the bottom of the draft and in free agency all bets off, it is not quite as painful if you miss there.

12. By scjoe on Jan 29, 2011 | Reply

As much as I understand the need to go defense in round #1 (DE, OLB, safety etc.) Should we not be able to sign both BE and SH, I think that kid out of Pit, Baldwin at 6’5″ 225 4.40 40 would be awfully tempting should he still be sitting there.That would probably mean that stud pass rusher DE or OLB would have to come via free agency. Should the CBA work itself out and all systems are go, and we do get that pass rusher in free agency, watch for that #1 to be a WR, again, assuming we do not sign both BE and SH.

13. By jetrooney on Jan 29, 2011 | Reply

David harris was the MVP of our team this year so you cant part with a guy like that. Getting both edwards and holmes back is very important to our team especially in the way edwards stepped up and eliminated the drop and how santonio won us a few games. I think we dont need taylor but it would be nice to have him back. I would also love to have tomlinson for one more year. cromartie played well but i dont see him coming back. Brad smith is also a priority but due to the amount of wildcat used in the championship game he is replaceable.

14. By Otis R. Needleman on Jan 29, 2011 | Reply

Gholston’s gotta go.

15. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 29, 2011 | Reply

Eric and Randy, can you comment on this: Eric Smith gets fined 10K for a hit that was practically unavoidable. Yet Harrison helmet-to-helmets Greene so hard that people comment on the paint chips flying from SG’s helmet. Have you ever seen anything like this kind of imbalance in officiating? And what kind of results do teams get when they make inquiries along these lines to the NFL? Joe D., I agree with you about the need to get more dominant during the season, and I guess you and I are the only guys posting on this site who think that some guys, like LT last yr, might actually be excited about playing on the Jets, maybe even enough so to take a little less $. If that’s not the case, what’s all this talk of guys wanting to play for Rex?

16. By IS on Jan 29, 2011 | Reply

If next CBA has cap rules similar to current CBA, Jets are in a world of trouble unless players like Sanchez are willing to do serious restructuring of their contracts or veterans are willing to take less than top dollar to play for the Jets. Assuming conventional wisdom is correct and the Jets target Harris and Cromartie as must signs, then Jets don’t have enough money to bring back most of the following:
    Edwards or Holmes: no way there appears to be enough money to sign both
    Jenkins
    Woody
    Ellis
    Thomas
    Tomilson
    Taylor
    Pool, Leonard, Smith, Coleman, Ihedigobo (They can afford 2 or at most 3)
    Hunter or Hartsock

Others likely gone:
    Gholston, though he will be a huge dead money hit
    Brunell and Ainge
    Richardson
    Pryce
    Clemens, although for the price, he may be their best choice

17. By GaryC on Jan 29, 2011 | Reply

here’s is my take on super bowl. packers will take advantage of steelers weak offensive line. Big Ben won’t escape matthews and the boys like he did the jets and Rodgers will use his 4 wides and put pressure on steelers secondary which is very overrated polamalu included.Mendenhall won’t run against raji and jenkins like he did against jets.GREEN AND GOLD DEFEATS BLACK AND GOLD.and steelers will not get all calls this time because they are playing a team with just as much history as them.this is not seahawks and cardinals.

18. By Michael T on Jan 29, 2011 | Reply

Heres what I feel will happen throughout the off season. Were losing Harris for sure, he’s great with stopping the N and S runner’s but is terrible on the perimeter. He’s too SLOW, and he is going to want to get payed, so he can be replaced. Remember Victor Hobson? Say good bye to B Thomas, and Kris Jenkins. I think well go after Haloti Naghta, to replace Jenkins, We’ll keep Taylor and Draft a nice LB. There’s also a good # of FA LB’s to select from too. I don’t see Edwards coming back, although I’d hate to see him go. He was clutch this year except in the championship game when he lost sight of his position on the field, and stepped out of bounds to cause a punt. We will sign Holmes. We need to draft a P a K, S, LB,DT and a WR.

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 29, 2011 | Reply

Quite frankly, IS, after Holmes and Edwards almost none of the guys you list are must-haves. No one we have at S, for example, is all that great, not that you’re gonna replace ‘em all at once. scjoe, you’ve heard me say a million times I wanna keep SH, BE, and J-Co but yeah, things have a funny way of working out when you’re in Mr. T’s seat. I can see spending the money on a free agent DL guy who doesn’t want to rob us and letting Edwards go if he does want to rob us and we can get Baldwin. But while Mr. T didn’t make any promises yesterday (corporate people never do), I think it’s clear he’ll try to hold onto the guys that really matter and deal aggressively for new guys. That’s certainly what he did last yr.

20. By scjoe on Jan 29, 2011 | Reply

64tom, c’mon man, you know as well as I do that NO player is going to take any kind of significant loss in salary to stay and play for Rex. With all things being equal, for “most” players, especially those who have already played for him, I would expect them to stay, but for a significant amount less? No, no way! Because that is the greed that is the NFL today, that is why the new CBA talks are what they are today, and I do not foresee any changes in that behavior from either side any time soon. I did read recently that some teams froze ticket prices for next season, a couple even lowered them, but that is only because they do not consistently sell out, nothing more.

21. By Row on Jan 29, 2011 | Reply

Clemens has to stay. Brunell was a dumb move for mentoring. Find Conner for the FB. T-Rich is gone. Sign a new punter, Weatherford was terrible in the clutch. Brad Smith is the big deal. I still see him as KR/QB. He played some good WR at Pitt. McNight needs to dress. We saw absolutely nothing of him except against a makeshift coached team. I would like to see Taylor stay. I also would like to see what Mcknight has in the tank. Edwards out played all WR’s, if he doesn’t stay, it’s absolutely ridiculous. I am wandering why no one had a problem with the officiating in the steelers game… Go Jets

22. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 29, 2011 | Reply

We’d have to define more clearly a few terms in your post, scjoe, like “significant” and “greed.” I don’t have the numbers, so I don’t know how much less Edwards or anyone else might be willing to take from us. Does Holmes count as a guy “who’s already played” for Rex, or do you mean just big Rex boosters like Scott, LT, and Cro? As for greed, I’ve never been for players asking for the moon but the greediest thing I’ve ever seen is the push for an 18-game season, and that’s coming straight from Goodell. So we’ll have to see what happens but I’ll put my money on Mr. T to keep going in the right direction. He’s the least “Same Old Jets” thing about the team now by way of his willingness to wheel, deal, and make changes on a yr-round basis.

23. By TONY GARCIA on Jan 29, 2011 | Reply

we need some speed on D line,play mcknight more lt can return and create a three headed monster.no more ohio state products please, JETS need to look at the SEC. for speed and talent.

24. By Brian on Jan 29, 2011 | Reply

Mr. T is the best GM i think in sports right now, right next to brian cashman of corse. Im a big Jets fan – Drove from Long island all the way to indianpolis last year in the AFC championship game. Sat 9 rows up above braylon edwards parents haha (great expirence). I have so much trust in Mike T after what he did the past 2 years. I hope they sign David Harris back lead the team in tackles in the last 2 seasons. Tonio Holmes is a big playmaker, Braylon Edwards, At lat years AFc championship game caught a wide open bomb from sanchez for a touchdown. I swear me and his parents went crazy for a good 30 seconds hah. – felt so good doing that in front of all blue jerseys. Jason Taylor hopefully stays, many people forget the little things hesdne

25. By Jimmer on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

Just read another story with stats. BE had the highest per catch total with 50 catches min. since 68! 1 Drop all season. This guy simply outsizes and outmuscles guys for the ball. Yeah, SH can and will have a great play or two, BE is more reliable for the long ball. BE and JC should be the starters in 2011. SH threw Shotty under the bus in that PG interview as well. Rex protects players, yeah, but a player throwing coaches under the bus can’t sit well with him. Rex loves SH, but to what extent? BE made a huge mistake with the DUI, he’ll probably sign with the JETS for less. He was much more important to getting to the AFC championship than SH was.

26. By carl on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

THE OFFSEASON,once again we reach the championship game! That really is pretty dam good!But what is gonna get us over the hump? A linebacker that can cover a tightend or running back out of the backfield. A safety for run support.Passrushing linbacker, We need a beast comin off the edge!!!Hey Rex, take a chance on Plaxico!If Chad Pennington retires, offer him a coaching job ! Hey Jets Nation, we are goin back again to win this thing once and for all !!!!!Go JETS!!!!

27. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

Jimmer, you obviously didn’t watch the clip of Holmes at his locker, he in no way “threw Schotty under the bus” — not that Schotty doesn’t deserve it. He was asked why he sat the first five plays and he just said you’ll have to ask Coach Schottenheimer about that, I just had to go with the game plan. Greene said the exact same thing when he was asked why he wasn’t there to rescue us from what I see is being called “The Goal Line Debacle” of 2011. Just say no to anti-Jets hype! And tell Rex’s dad about how unimportant Holmes was to getting to the championship game, winning 4 games or so with a single play. He also had the best plays vs. PIT in both games.

28. By BoBbY g on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

we need to keep all 3 receivers together. We need that stability for sanchez to continue to grow. How is he ever going to get chemistry if he has new receivers each year? BE is a must. He is a great blocker and doesnt get enough credit for that. Get rid of cromartie. any average back can do what he did this year.

29. By steve on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

jets must get a new ofensive coach bad call palying jets have the best receivers they need to keep these guys they let go of feneca bad move unless they keep there receivers back to step one

30. By steve on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

we need another good safety and lots of help in center stop drafting guys lke kyle wilson he gets burn all the time he to small for the job

31. By Row on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

Here is the truth about Mr. T:
    In previous years he has went for the one or two guys in free agency and/or the draft to sell tickets. Gholston was the guy everyone wanted, Mr. T got him. Same thing with Keller, Sanchez and Revis. He’s known to throw the injured guy away, he did that with TJ, Vilma, and others. But as of recent, he’s taken some of the best “washed up” players and put them together to make a serious team. In a younger driven league, he’s given a lot of HOF type vets a chance at greatness with success. Our DL wouldn’t start on half of the NFL teams. I hope he becomes more open minded as well as the coaches to come together and give those undrafted FA’s a chance too.

32. By Tom Spicer on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

Wow this may be the first time since a year before we drafted Gholston that I agree with Row.

33. By THUNDER LIPS on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

I have a prediction … we are gonna lose either BE or SH … and we are gonna sign either t.o. or plaxico burress on the cheap. i could see us going after hgata at Nose Tackle too

34. By MattyF on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

I can’t believe there are David Harris haters on the NYJ site. He’s probably the most underrated player in the NFL! He’s as valuable to the team as Revis and must be the #1 offseason priority.

Here is what I think the Jets should do this offseason (in order of importance):
    1) Sign Harris to a long (6 years min.) deal
    2) Sign FA DT/NT or S (I think they’ll sign Ngata)
    3) Resign Edwards, Cro, B.Smith, Ellis (1-year deal)
    4) Is Greene really a long-term solution at RB? I’m not convinced yet. If not, we better find one.
    5) Is Leonard a FA? I wasn’t aware of this. He will be a priority.
    6) Resign Digs, Thomas, Jenkins (at a discount), Hunter, possibly Pool and E.Smith & other support

Woody, JT, T-Rich, Gholston are gone. Not sure about Holmes

35. By MattyF on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

Leonard is not a FA. Not sure where IS got this information.

I forgot to include D.Coleman in line 6

36. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Row only to a point, Spicer. TJ was let go because he was arrogant, asking for too much, washed up, and not nearly as good a receiver as LT. His mediocre season at KC proves all that and he faded just as badly late in the yr. Vilma was famously let go because Mangini decided he “didn’t fit the system.” I say when a player is that good, fix the system to keep him. Mr. T must’ve have more on his mind than just what fans wanted in getting Sanchez, Keller, and Revis and he also deserves credit for trading up for Greene and listening to Callahan on Slauson. Probably next yr this time we’ll be saying that Wilson, Ducasse, McKnight, and Conner were all brilliant picks.

37. By Tom Spicer on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

Tom 64, Wilson yes I agree. Conner & McKnight I am not so sure I dont see either of there impacts being big unless LT & T Rich are not back. Ducasse I do not see him having any impact next year he looks more like a long term project. Even if Woody does not come back Hunter will be the starting right tackle with Turner being the number 1 back up at the guard & center spots. Unless they move Ducasse to tackle were he will be the number 1 backup at that spot. I think he will be the backup to the backup at guard.

38. By Rob Bas "BIG PAPPY" on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

I think part of the problem with the ground and pound this year was the OL. Watching every single play what I noticed was the OL didn’t hold there blocks which directly affected our running game. I would like to see how they actually grade out! As for the free agents I do believe most are replaceable, I would like to see them keep BE & SH, what I would concentrate on is the DL, if possible they should go after Cullen Jenkins & Haloti Ngata, with these guys on your line putting pressure on the QB you can sacrafice in other areas of your DEF!!!