Darrelle, Brick Ready for the Pro Bowl

Posted by Randy Lange on January 30, 2011 – 11:50 am

We’re not there to document it for you this year, but from all accounts Darrelle Revis and D’Brickashaw Ferguson, the Jets’ two Pro Bowl players this year, are enjoying themselves in Hawaii.

Revis and Brick (Nick Mangold stayed home with a hamstring pull) wrapped up their week of practices and fun in the sun Saturday and both will be starting for the AFC squad in tonight’s annual Pro Bowl, back at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu after a one-year hiatus.

That year was spent in South Florida last year, when Revis made his second trip to the all-star game and Brick stepped in for injured Dolphin Jake Long for his first Pro Bowl appearance.

Now there is just a touch of irony in that Ferguson will start at tackle next to guard Logan Mankins of New England while Revis split practice time with Patriots rookie Devin McCourty in the secondary. Jason Kaneshiro of the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported this past week for ESPNBoston.com on the relaxed AFC East rivalry.

And Revis chatted with Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald about the “copycat NFL” that may be all over the way the Jets defended against Tom Brady and the Patriots offense in the AFC Divisional Round Game just two short weeks ago.

“We felt confident in what we wanted to do,” Revis told Guregian. “We just wanted to make those guys uncomfortable. If you look at the Indianapolis game before that, Peyton [Manning] wasn’t himself. He was a little jittery back there. That’s what our coverage did. Tom was confident, but we just got to him, and got sacks and made him turn over the ball.”

We have a couple of photos courtesy of The Associated Press that will accompany this blog, one showing Revis during a break in the action from Saturday’s practice at Kapolei High School on the southwestern side of Oahu. In the other, Ferguson is about to be presented with a lei on Friday at the sumptuous Ko Olina Resort, with Mankins and Colts DE Robert Mathis (98) in line behind Brick.

Tonight’s game will kick off around 7 p.m. EST on Fox, one week before the Steelers and Packers meet in Super Bowl XLV at Cowboy Stadium.

For the second consecutive year, the Pro Bowl will be played the week before the Super Bowl. The 2010 Pro Bowl on ESPN was watched by an average of 12.3 million viewers, the most for a Pro Bowl since 2000 (13.2 million) and a 40 percent increase from the 2009 game (8.8 million). The 12.3 million viewers also marked the largest viewership for an All-Star game in any sport on cable television.

For those who keep track of such things, tonight’s game is the 41st between the AFC and the NFC. The AFC evened the series at 20-20 with last year’s 41-34 triumph.

We’ll have a report for you on how Revis and Ferguson fared and other points of interest after the game.

Tweet Stuff

Thank you to all our old and new Tweetahs (Dustin Keller term) who are now following us at twitter.com/nyjets. We just cleared 100,000 followers on Friday and are No. 1 in Twitter followers in the NFL. Quite a climb from the 74 followers we had when we started posting Jets news on the social networking site beginning with the 2009 veteran minicamp.

Tags: , , , , , ,

19 Responses to “Darrelle, Brick Ready for the Pro Bowl”

1. By scjoe on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

64tom, from previous post. I think you hit it on the head when you said recently “if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it IS a duck” greed is greed is greed, and it runs rampid not only in sports, but in business, in entrainment, and yes, also in politics. So I pretty much mean ALL FAs. I did say if they have already played for Rex, and yes, that would include Holmes, they may give a slight discount to stay, by slight, and I am talking about NFL type money, I would say 1 mil or less per year. That is just generally speaking. Point is, if team A offers ANY FA lets say 5.5 mil and the Jets offer is 4- 4.5 mil where do you think they will go? But don’t take my word for it, lets just watch it play out.

2. By scjoe on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

In a perfect world, one in which we do not live, I would love to see the same alignment we will be seeing today in the pro bowl, that is Brick lining up at LT and Mankins lining up right next to him at LG for the Jets in 2011 Let Slauson and Ducasse fight it out for the RT position replacing Woody. Also, the time has come to start thinking younger, time to cut ties with the LTs, JTs, Brunells, T Rich, Woody, Ellis etc. The core here is still very young and they will continue to be competitive without any of the above mentioned, some replacements are already on the roster. Please, no more 2nd or 3rd round picks for either long tooth’s, or those in the last year of their contracts.

3. By IRA on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

scjoe,
    Sorry i would bring LT back as long as they REALLY make Greene the featured RB. LT can still play and if held to 10-12 touches a game he would be pefect for next year. He cam mentor McNight to take over his role just like T- Rich did for Connor this year.

4. By scjoe on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

Ira, LT faded down the stretch, just as TJ did last year, that is to be expected I suppose, do we really need that for a third straight year? Any mentoring of McKnight, or even Greene for that matter, should have, and probably already did occur this year. McKnight showed what he is capable of in that last Buffalo game, I know it was Buffalo, but they are pros too. Injuries not withstanding, I would much rather see a combination of those two younger guys down the stretch and into the playoffs for 2011. I truly believe that is the way to go, along with a late round pick or an undrafted FA.

5. By scjoe on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

64tom, re: your on going debate with GaryC on Clowney. I never thought he was given a fair chance here for what ever reason, then he is cut and signs with Carolina who has a much more clouded picture at QB then most teams, so he still didn’t receive any kind of a fair deal there either, so, if we were to lose one or even two of the starters at that position why not bring back Clowney, he knows the system and he has the wheels, and he probably will come cheap. I am not talking about a #2 or #3 but beyond. Don’t rule it out under that scenario.

6. By punchie from OZ on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

All i can say is that nobody blocks outwide like breylon except HW of the steelers

7. By Ray on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

As painful as it was to do I watched the NFL Replay of the game on the NFL Network, mainly because they show alot of different angles and usually have guys wired which makes for a good watch. Surprisingly they didn’t really have much from the guys wired up. I really wanted to hear how Rex was during the series that Schotty screwed up at the goal line. But I had forgotten the pick that Revis should have had, it was the same catch he made against Oakland last year. Just one more thing I can think back on now and say “if only”….

8. By Ray on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

LT isn’t going to break the bank he is well worth keeping. They will franchise either SH of BE if they can’t get at least one of them signed. Harris will be signed, luckily for them he didn’t have a monster year, it is dangerous to wait for the end of the year to extend these guys. It leaves open the opportunity for some other team to swoop in with some ridiculous offer that we can’t or won’t match. B Smith won’t be back unless he’s realistic about his asking price. There is no way Rex drops Leonhard. And for those griping about Cro, if we didn’t have him the first six weeks of the season we wouldn’t have even been in the playoffs. If he’s not back they better have a plan (save it ’64 Tom, we can’t afford him…).

9. By Row on Jan 30, 2011 | Reply

Once again you guys must not watch the games or take a look at the stats. (scjoe) LT had identical carries and stats almost all season with the exception of the blowout vs Buffalo. He had a better ypc (4.2). He out gained Greene in rushing and receiving the entire season. He also outperformed Greene in the Indy game with less carries. He did not wear down. Mcknight needs to be the spell back. LT needs to be the feature. They gotta stop using Greene for the pitch plays.
    Away from the point. I think it’s completely ridiculous that Smith got fined for that pull up hit on Sanders.. Woody should pitch in and give him the money. Go Jets!

10. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

Yup, scjoe, there’s only so much speculating you can do especially, as you say, when it comes down to the NFL’s version of pennies, a million here, a million there, whatever. Mr. T’s may have made a few iffy moves here and there, but on the whole I feel in very good hands with him.

11. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

By the way, scjoe, I didn’t know Clowney went to CAR — and then got cut? I though only Wright signed with them and stayed the whole season. And I agree, I can see Clowney or Allison back as a #4 if we lose Smith but not as one of the main 3.

12. By IRA on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

scjoe, They over worked LT early on. Do you really trust McKnight to p/u a blitz? LT is a good option for a b/u unless they find somebody better or younger. If he wants to come back with a smaller role and less money its a no brainer. And while i like McKnight’s potential [he blew the tackle of Brown on the 17yd line with 3:09 to go in Pitt} he did play against the Bills JV.
    Good article about Curtis by Gary Myers today. I really hope he gets in this week. He has earned it.
    GO Curtis!!!!!

13. By IRA on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

punchie, Thats right Edwards is a great blocker and you could see right from camp he was really focused and thats why to me he was probably the most consistent player on the team besdies Harris, Mangold and Brick. I didn’t put Revis in there because he wasn’t himself until half way through the season. In my book Edwards was the most improved player on the team. They have to bring him back.

14. By GaryC on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

here is something for jet fans to mull over, people said harris did not have as great a year as others and I believe that true. could it be seeing he wasn’t signed he was protecting himself and preventing injury so he can cash in as free agent, and maybe he is a liitle piqued that jets did not sign him during year or before.

15. By wayne on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

When I hear people evangelize about money and greed, it always involves other people’s money…The guys who want these guys all to stay with the Jets aren’t concerned about the state our culture. You’re concerned about your own interests as well….You want your team to continue winning.So do I. But I will side with these guys who are putting their lives on the line,LITERALLY, in playing this game. You guys don’t remember them after they’re gone unless they did something great enough to hold a place in your memory….Their lives will be shortened for having played the game and it will be riddled with pain and discomfort. Yes they chose to play…..WHY SHOULDN’T THEY TRY TO GET AS MUCH AS THEY CAN FOR IT?

16. By Tom Spicer on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

I also watched the NFL network replays of the game 2 times & there was something that I noticed & it was this. We had 3 picks that hit our guys in the chest & we dropped all 3 of them 1 to Revis, 1 to Harris & 1 to Wilson. If we get 2 of these mabye even 1 of them we win the game..

17. By scjoe on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

Ira, I think you make a good point about McKnight picking up the blitz, however, I would think that was part of the mentoring and the learning process in general that took place this season, also, I am looking at the whole body of work. I would think that if Rex/Shotty don’t trust him in that capacity they will make the necessary adjustments. Row, I do look at the stats, but they don’t always tell you everything you need to know. I KNOW, that LT has had a great career, with the key word there being HAD! If he would come back for the veteran minimum and be used as the third back, that may work, otherwise it has to be Greene/McKnight.By the way row, LT got more receptions then Green by design.

18. By scjoe on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

Wayne, which part of greed in this country that I posted above do you dispute? In sports? In the entertainment field? Maybe in business? How about politics? And contrary to what you may believe I AM interested in “our” state, and “our” culture, not only about my own interests. I did OK in my career, no one handed me anything, I worked hard for it and it payed off. I am not saying I earned during my career what Peyton Manning will earn in just one year, but I am satisfied. What did you see in my above post for you to draw those conclusions?

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jan 31, 2011 | Reply

Ira, I wouldn’t have picked Revis to have ever become as good as he has based on his rookie yr, so give McKnight a break on blocking. GaryC, I think that would be a very risky decision on Harris’ part to play at less than 100% for a whole yr. Wayne, there’s a difference between asking for you think you’re worth and gouging, as scjoe seems to be saying about his career. It’s like the Revis insanity last summer, with people acting like less than $1 mil per game was some kind of insult to the guy. Any guy who gets a contract that pays millions and is able to hold onto it for even a couple of yrs should never have to work again, so he’s got nothing to complain about. Health benefits should be better for all, I agree with that.