• Wed., Aug. 20, 2014 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Wed., Aug. 20, 2014 2:25 PM - 2:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following Training Camp practice.
  • Thu., Aug. 21, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Sun., Aug. 24, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Mon., Aug. 25, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Wed., Aug. 27, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Wed., Aug. 27, 2014 9:00 PM - 10:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Ray Lucas Still Believes in Jets’ Destiny

Posted by Nick Gallo on February 1, 2011 – 8:50 am

On Radio Row at the Super Bowl Media Center in Dallas, it’s a feeding frenzy for former and current football players who stop by to chat with the media. During his whirlwind tour of the nearly 100 radio stations that are covering the big game this week, former Jets quarterback Ray Lucas reflected on the fact that the Green & White were just one defensive stop and one touchdown away from being one of the teams in North Texas.

“It’s not right, it’s just not right,” Lucas said. “It’s bittersweet. This place would be rocking and rolling if the Jets were here. I did believe that they were a team of destiny. I still do believe that they’re a team of destiny. I still think that we’re going to be here next year, wherever the Super Bowl may be. But I think Rex Ryan has the ship going in the right direction.”

According to Lucas, however, even if Ryan is the navigator, he has a lot of work to do before next season begins. With many high-profile players eligible for free agency this offseason, Ryan and general manager Mike Tannenbaum will have to be judicious and creative in continuing to build the nucleus of the team through free agency and the draft.

“It’s going to be interesting though to see how many guys we get to keep this year,” Lucas said. “As far as the draft goes, we need somebody to rush the passer — hands down, one guy that comes in especially to get the quarterback on his back.”

Two of the most intriguing pair of potential free agents are wide receivers Braylon Edwards (53 catches, 904 yards, 7 TDs) and Santonio Holmes (52-746-6). The duo, who form part of  the  “Flight Boys,” were a fantastic complement to one another throughout the year, as the 6’3” Edwards was able to physically dominate cornerbacks and Holmes made game-deciding catches in nearly half a dozen contests.

“I do think it’s going to be interesting to see what happens with Braylon and Santonio,” Lucas said. “I think that you go after Holmes first. I do think we might luck out and get one more year out of Braylon Edwards, but I do think eventually somebody is going to pay that kid, but for a quiet season, he was spectacular.”

Both were helped by the improving play of second-year QB Mark Sanchez. The Southern Cal product threw for 3,291 yards and 17 touchdowns during the regular season in leading the Jets to their second consecutive AFC Championship Game appearance.

“I was one of his harshest critics his rookie year,” Lucas said. “The way he played in the postseason his rookie year blew me away. This season he’s done things to make himself better where he’s not losing games, he’s not taking chances. He’s playing really smart football. I think [coordinator] Brian Schottenheimer had a lot to do with him and how he played this year as well with the game plan with getting him in rhythm early and then him throwing the ball downfield.”

Schottenheimer utilized his two dangerous wideouts along with Jets stalwart Jerricho Cotchery and two more favorite targets, Dustin Keller and LaDainian Tomlinson — all five had at least 41 regular-season receptions — and did his best work in the playoffs, where he now has four road wins in his short career.

“He’s growing up before our eyes,” Lucas said. “I wasn’t sure if he was a franchise quarterback a year ago, but I’m definitely positive that he’s a franchise quarterback now. If you look at what Matt Ryan did in his third year, the sky is definitely the limit for the Jets. The Sanchize — Mike Tannenbaum did the right thing.”

Tags: , , , , , , ,
Posted in Nick Gallo | 57 Comments »

57 Responses to “Ray Lucas Still Believes in Jets’ Destiny”

1. By IRA on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

Nick, We can only think of what might have been had they beat Pitt. I am sure those players who return will have that burning feeling inside that i and many other Jets fans have had since 1969.

2. By car on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

Hey Randy, We gonna have football next year or what? Or do i have to watch the womens lingere league! (which I don’t mind!)Hey Coach Ryan, Your The Best Head CoachThe Ny Jets Have Had In Long Time !!Jets Nation loves You!!! Go Jets!!!!!

3. By Alex.G on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

I hope the Jets make it their business to keep Braylon and Holmes ,as I also agree that Braylon has found himself and is a great asset to the JETS and to anyone he plays for if the JETS choose to allow him to slip away. they (Holmes Edwards) have complimented Sanchez and were able to make him the Quaterback he is becoming, these 3 are clicking and with J-CO as the 3rd we are strong were we were always weak.. get them signed….

4. By Pranit on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

We also need a play making safety …and a james harrison type LB….the LB’s we have on the roster all average at best, occasionally making a play…We need a suggs or harrison type guy…

Randy, what are the jets drafts picks this year? I know Cromartie’s trade will come to bite us…thanks Randy.

5. By Randy Lange on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

Pranit, we don’t have the picks from the front office yet. As soon as we get them, we’ll let you all know, but something tells me other sources will have their unofficial lists out there soon.

6. By Tom Spicer on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Ray Lucas the 3rd year is where a QB “gets it” QB is the spot where it takes a couple of years to see what you have. Its not like a RB where if you are good you can just dominate right out of the gate. I think if the Jets bring back Braylon & Holmes the sky is the limit for Mark worst case next year I think 3,700 yards 25 TD’S.

7. By russ on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

A Better first half game plan might have given the talent a chance …….see ya next year………..

8. By wayne on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

They need a pass rusher in a bad way, but just as with Peyton in Indy, you can win without a topflight D. Gotta take care of your QB, especially a young one.That means making sure he has weapons. How they keep these 2 WRs? That’s the big Q…Not enough draft picks, no much cap space, too many FAs……This off season will cement Mr. Tannenbaums reputation…..Don’t want to hear bout what he’s done already…..Players are judge by what they’ve done lately. Why should the GM be judged differently? You dealt the cards “Mr. T” Let’s see how you play em. It will be very interesting.

9. By IRA on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

Pranit,
    Why will the Cro trade come back to bite us? Sure they now have to give up a 2nd rd pick for him and if he is here for just 1 year [i think thats what goes down] it is what it is. We came up short by 30 min again. That doesn’t mean Trader Mike won’t swing some deals to get back a pick or two.
    Randy, Can’t believe we are talking about draft stuff already. I am still stinging from the Pitt game. Though this week is easier than last.
    I think the Packers will win this game 30-17. I don’t trust the Steelers secondary.
    GO JETS!!!!

10. By Alex on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

I’m excited for next year! Sign Braylon and Holmes. Can’t wait to see Joe “the Jet” McKnight take over at tailback. I would like to see Jenkins stay healthy. His presence alone does so many things for the defense. Go GET EM JETS!!!! Viva Sanchez!

11. By fred on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

I like your score Ira, I just hope at some point it is 27-10 because I am a sore loser. This first week of non Jets activity is just brutal & its harder than last year because Peyton torched the Jets where as this year the Jets beat the Jets as lest in the first half. As i am typing this the NFL network boys are gushing over Hines Ward – As wfan’s Joe B. says ” Oh the Pain!!!”

12. By andre on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

I hope jets win soon this lost was a huge blow to the gut to say the least im down. go jets

13. By Row on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

Ray, I think you really want to write or do some work for the Jets because I really don’t know how anyone who’s seen Mark’s blunders say he’s a franchise QB. His rating is amongst the worst in the league. (27th out of 32) Anyone who watched the Indy game saw him miss receivers by 5 yards or more. He still throws high. He still throws behind on the slant. (watch the film) Schotty had Sanchez throw more times than Brady last year. There was no reason for the loss in Pittsburg. No reason for the fumble TD. No reason for any of it. You have to score points to win in the NFL. Everyone says look at his stats the first 8 games. 1st game 0TD, 2 picks. 5th game 0TD, 0INT. 6TH game 1TD, 2INT. 7th game 0TD, 2INT. 8th game 1TD, 1INT. #6=No franchise QB

14. By Birdman on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

we’re gonna get’em next year JETS !!!! We need two pass rusher, A hard hitting safety and some linebackers for Defense… CAN’T WAIT !!!!! Rex Ryan you did a hella of darn good coaching job…. I don’t mind the players talk trash about the other guy on the other team, Just backup what you say or shutup and playball… I wish everyone on our JETS team can all come back next year, but I know we might lose some of our men on free agency…The coming up NFL Draft we should use it all on Defense picks…. JETS NATION are counting on you Mark Sanchez to get back were we belong in every SUPER BOWL… Each and one of you are champs, I know next year were gonna be the SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS…… To our NEW YORK JETS and JETS NATION GOD BLESS BSAFE

15. By IRA on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

fred,
    Thats right the Jets did beat themselves. Good article on Howard Green today. Still think they could’ve kept him especially since he came back to burn the jets back in Oct. Good solid role player who has played well for the Packers.

16. By kk on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Just read the article in the news about Ray Lucas, it just goes to show you what thewse guys go through to play football. He is a class guy and I always love watching him on SNY with his insight on the Jets and the QB position.
    Now Ray needs to try and work to get his life back which painkillers has taken from him.
    I wish him the best of success in this fight for the sake of himself and his family.

Randy, Please tell Ray we’ll keep him in our payers and thoughts, he’s a good man and deserves his happiness. Personally I look forward to listening to him again next season!!

17. By Randy Lange on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

kk, I spoke with Ray in the summer and again before the ceremony to honor the players in the “Monday Night Miracle” game back in October. He’s doing well and he appreciates all the well wishes from Jets fans everywhere.

18. By Tom Spicer on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Row, Mark at 23 years old & a 2nd year QB was 14th in passing yards with 3,291 yards , 11th in total TD’S with 20 (17 passing & 3 rushing) & 6th in total turnovers with only 13 picks all of this was done in just 15 games. Now if Brunell & Kellen Clemens had 3 combined TD’S vs the Bills in the final game I have to think that Mark would have had at least that & had 23 total TD’S on the year. If he had his normal game average vs the Bills he would have had 3,500 yards & I think he would have put 300 up on the Bills & had 3,600 yards. That would have made him 10th in total yards & 10th in total TD’S.

19. By Tom Spicer on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Row, I am not sure where you got your stats from you said Mark had 2 picks in the first game when he had zero. In your run down of the first 8 games you just happen to select all of the bad stats & not the good ones you put the 1st game but you happened to forget the 2nd, 3rd & 4th games. Game 2 where we beat the Pats & Mark was 21 of 30 with a 124 QB rating, 3 TD’S & 0 picks. Game 3 where we beat Miami on the road he was 15 of 28 for a 120 rating with, 256 passing yards, 3 TD’S & 0 picks. Game 4 where we beat the Bills on the road he was 14 of 24 with a 106 rating, 2 TD’S & 0 picks. Game 7 he had 256 yards & the 2 picks he had our WR’S had the ball & it was ripped from there grasp while they where on the ground BOTH of them should not

20. By Tom Spicer on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

been called picks cause there werent. Game 8 you said he had 1 TD & 1 pick but you forgot to add he had 336 passing yards & lead us down the field to a overtime victory over the Lions. The 1st 5 games we were 5 & 1 & he had 8 TD’S & 0 picks. Games 7, 8, 9 & 10 he averaged 300 passing yards & 2 TD’S we went 3 & 1 & he lead us to 2 overtime victorys & 1 miracle win throwing the winning score with seconds left. Mark had 5 4th quarter comebacks this year, 24 wins in 2 years, 4 road playoff wins vs Palmer, Rivers, Brady & Peyton, back to back AFC championship games, more playoff win than any Jet QB ever & most of all the kid is not afraid of the big stage at a 14 & 2 Pats team 127 rating, 16 of 25, 3 TD’S & 0 picks & at a 12 & 4 Steeler team

21. By Tom Spicer on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

in minus 5 degrees 102 rating, 20 of 30, 233 yards, 2 TD’S & 0 picks. This kid is a future franchise QB PERIOD END OF STORY!

22. By Roger Muller on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

I think Santonio Holmes is the better of the two wide receivers so the Jets should make a bid to keep him. If they can manage to work out a deal with Braylon Edwards so much the better. They ‘ve got to get rid of Chris Jenkins. He is useless. I also think they should trade Kellen Clemmins. He is too good to be a non factor all these years. The Jets definately need a pass rusher. They also need another running back. Ladanian Tomlinson is past his prime. I’m not saying get rid of him because he is still a valuable commodity. He can also teach a younger player the ropes.

23. By Pranit on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Ira,

A second round pick is worth obtaining a starter at rookie wage for at least 5 years — we can’t throw away draft picks for a player like cromartie who will be a UFA after playing only just one year with the Jets. And i don’t even want Cromartie back — he’s an average corner with very poor tackling skills. And he’s a non-physical player; shy’s away from tackles. Instead they could have (hypothecially) drafted a CB in the second round who would still be a jet for the next 4 yrs. So a second-rd pick wasted — unless we’d have won the SB.

Now we have so many needs — and am afraid not a lot of draft picks. I think this is where Mr. T is not doing a good job. Can’t accumulate old washed up players who will slow down in the playoffs…

24. By russ on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Holmes vs Edwards Thrill vs skill….Edwards plays the run Holmes doesnt…me me me…something to ponder………

25. By wayne on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Tom Spicer, I totally agree about Sanchez. I was very skeptical about this kid with the way he came in, but I’m now completely on board. He’s nails tough. He’s put the cold weather thing to bed. He has enough arm strength. My biggest question was whether he had the right work ethics to be good(can’t say great….). His biggest challenge will be settling down and starting effectively at the beginning of games…..He’s too jacked up at the beginning of games. That will diminish with more seasoning……….The only jury still out on this kid is, will he hold up physically?

26. By Eric K on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Hey Randy, i know i’m just a fan but i hope the GM and Coach Ryan can read this, it’s always good to get any fan’s opinion of things :D. I don’t like the fact that we have so many Unrestricted Free agents, but it is what it is. I think the Jet’s top 10 priorities would be signing back *Santonio Holmes, *Braylon Edwards, *Brad Smith, *David Harris, *Rob Turner, *Wayne Hunter, *Drew Coleman, *Eric Smith, *James Ihedigbo, *Tony Richardson. I think those first 4 are top top priorities though. We also have other great free agents that would be great to have back like the veterans ellis, cro and definetly weatherford. I think a new kicker should be signed. Def need a pass rush, Defensive lineman, hopefully Kris J. stays. Hope they all return. :)

27. By IRA on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

After 3/3 there are going to be 495 FA’s. The Jets can go in so many different directions according to what they think the CBA just might be. I am sure they will have a couple of different plans on who to keep and who to let go and who to go after. Good thing is this franchise is in the best hands its ever been in and i expect them to make the right decisions to keep the team at the level that they have been playing.
    GO JETS!!!!

28. By Mike on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

The offense is still terrible. Be it the offensive coordinator or the offense in general, it needs to be fixed.

29. By GaryC on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

look I don’t want to hear the jets beat themselves, mendenhall running through them,the offense not getting anything going, rex with his decision of kicking off after winning the toss.when you say that you beat yourself that is like saying we should never lose unless it is because of us.there are more reasons that the jets lost other then themselves. that is loser’s lament.

30. By IRA on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Pranit, Relax bro just like i just wrote. They are in good shape and will be fine. And as long as they can stay healthy they will be a leading contender again next year for the SB. Maybe they learn from what happened to them the past 2 yrs and finally get over the hump.
    There are plenty of CB’s who will be FA’s. First and biggest need and the whole world knows what it is. Get a pass rusher that teams have to gameplan for.

31. By davetharave on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

We missed the Super Bowl this year due to a few critical failures in the Pittsburgh game. We failed to punch it in from one yard out despite having 4 attempts, wasting 2 on stupid, ill advised passes. We failed to stop Pittsburgh from making 2 crucial first downs with 3 minutes to go in the game. We failed to avoid a couple of critical penalties (none worse than Cromartie’s third down illegal contact on Pitt’s first drive, keeping that drive alive, to a TD). Some of it was the players, some of it was bad coaching. These need to be corrected.

32. By scjoe on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Great point Ira re: the 495 FAs that will become available. Where is it written that the top priority is to resign OUR FAs first? The top priority is to improve the team. Example-Wouldn’t signing Asomauga (whatever) as opposed to REsigning Cro be an immediate upgrade? I say we keep trusting T/Rex in what they have been doing. No one knows for sure what the new CBA will bring, so at this point here is my “fantasy” signings that can hopefully become a reality, in this order, Harris, Asomauga, BE, Nagta, (Balt) Woodley, (Pit) SH, B Smith, E.Smith. Subject to change of course. Impossible? Not really, Improbable? Yes. But that is the direction we must go, sign the best players available, not necessarily your own.

33. By GaryC on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

sorry, asomugha will sign with a west coast team,49ers or chargers,maybe broncos. so far this year we will have ngata woodley mankins asomugha,david harris, braylon edwards, santonio holmes.How many more players can we name to the New York Galaxies.

34. By Neil on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Please keep Braylon and Holmes long term and grab a pass rusher. I swer if we lose one of them, we will be saying “man, the Jets were just one tall wr or one playmaker wr away from it all” . Mike- Please keep them both and get someone to create conventional sacks. also Shott give the ball to Greene more consistently and get rid of folk. Do those things Jets and I’ll be happy. Do all that and swap Asoumwha or however you spell it for Cromartie. If the Jets have to get rid of someone without a choice in the matter I can move on from the brad smith wildcat and keep it in Sanchez hands. Also I can handle Tomlinson out and give Mcnight a chance as the #2. But Ill also be happy if u keep all and add major pass rusher- someone who won’t come flat

35. By oneday on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Row, Mike, I agree. No one seems to be talking about the inept offense of the Jets. Wasn’t there defense one of the top rated in the NFL. If you can’t put put points up, you can’t win games. And considering our defense won 9 of the 11 wins for the Jets, I don’t think defense is a problem. We need to draft lots of offensive potential this year. Even the Lions offense put up more points then us per game this year. With a backup. What does that tell you.

36. By Vulcan-man on Feb 2, 2011 | Reply

Hey guys, am I the only one that thinks Braylon is better than Holmes? I know, I know-spectacular game winning catches, right? Well, here’s what I’m saying: Between Holmes’ small frame and his little nagging injuries here and there, (mind you he only played 12 games and there are likely 18 on the horizon) I just like Braylons big durable body over the long haul. Oh yeah, buy the way, he mauls people in the run game. Its not his fault our offensive and defensive lines let us down against the Steelers! They didn’t even throw to him during the entire first half of the game!

37. By Tom Spicer on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

oneday, Our D did not win 9 out of 11 games in our 11 wins we scored in order 28, 31, 38, 29, 24, 23, 26, 30, 26, 22, 38 so in only 2 of our 11 wins did we not score alot. the 23 & 22 game which still is not bad. We also scored 34 in a loss.

38. By Tom Spicer on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

If we have a championship caliber D like Rex always says we do anytime we score 24 or more we should win PERIOD END OF STORY.

39. By scjoe on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

who said we would “definitely” sign Asomugha, Ngata, Woodly, Harris, BE SH and Mankins and rename our self the NY Galaxies? Until WE know exactly what the new CBA is all about WE speculate, anything wrong with that? I would say no, because we see it from EVERYBODY who posts here.

40. By joe on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

i completely agree about what you said about the jets. they are definately going in the right direction and are definately favorites for the superbowl next year. the only thing i have a problem with is when you said one of the keys to sanchez’s sucsess is brian shottenheimer. i beleive hes just bringing mark down and not letting him show his true colors. he almost never lets him throw down feild ( which he has shown he can do many times before) and his playcalling is terrible calling little 2 yard outs on third and long. if he just let sanchez throw down the feild, like in the afc championship game where he didnt throw deep, they probably would have been in texas right now instead of sitting home. the steelers secondary isnt that good

41. By Charles DiComo on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

HI RANDY,

WHAT ARE OUR DRAFT PICS THIS YEAR. I THINK WE HAVE 6 PICS 1,3,4,5,6,7? PLEASE LET ME KNOW. YOU DO AN AWESOME JOB! MY SON AND I WENT TO THE FACILITY BEFORE THE AFC TITLE GAME AND WERE LUCKY ENOUGH TO “HIGH FIVE” SANCHEZ AND A FEW OTHER GUYS. GO JETS. THANKS, CHARLES D

42. By troy(nyjetsholdupsbtrophyin2010 on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

There’s no way around the fact that we were all-in this season, knowing the amount of talent that would be UFA’s will leave gaping holes in the roster and with only a handfull of draft picks,it’s just not likely for this team to get back to AFC-T game or being even close to passing the Pats for the Div.The brass knew a SB trophy or even an appearence would have satisfied the Jet masses enough to by a year or 2 of roster rebulding through draft picks and the (not anymore)possibilty of shotty leaving & having to install a new offense,i guess the new cba will really tell our fortune how cap space is going to be laid out,missing on gholston & possibly Wilson is really going to be hard to overcome,hopefully we can get Eric Smith to sign back,…

43. By troy(nyjetsholdupsbtrophyin2010 on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

cont…just dont know how they keep holmes & edwards & Brad Smith,get Ellis back on a 1yr vet Min.Maybe try and move Pace for picks to clear up some $$ with Jenkins,try and keep D.Coleman since we dont know what were going to get from Deer in the headlights Wilson.Let Hunter take over for Woody Since Ducasse was not NFL ready either..Its nice to know that alot guys want to play for Rex the problem they want to get paid a ton as well money will always trump …

44. By Hans on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Row, you’re just being a troll. Where were you during all the games that Sanchez played well in? Oh that’s right, you weren’t here. You were probably sulking because the Sanchize wasn’t living up to your expectations. Face the music dude. He went from having a 2,400 yard, 12 TD, 20 INT season to almost 3,300 yards, 17 TDs and 13 INTs AND he caused one less fumble than last year and lost 2 less. Does he have improvements he needs to make? Sure! I would be naive to doubt that. But you’re naive if you think you can just bash him over the head because you feel entitled to without looking at ALL the stats, not just the ones you like. Spicer, way to put him in his place.

45. By Jimmer on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Vulcan, I agree that BE is a more complete/durable wr than SH. Will come much cheaper as well after the dui thing, some teams will never even look at him.
    To those ripping Cro, anyone starting opposite Revis will hace a bullseye on him. A 2nd round pick for a 1yr starter won’t happen, that would make MT look bad. Cro will be back. I could see a sign and trade with the Skins though. SH for Haynesworth. He wants out, and they don’t want him. Imagine him and KJ as ends with Pouha at nose. Or even SE if he re-signs. That 3 man line alone would scare most teams.

46. By Westcoast GangGreen on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Tom Spicer well put, in defending Mark Sanchez in regards to where Row gets his stats…The JETS finally have their QB..!!!! PERIOD END OF STORY

47. By GaryC on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

as much as jet fans say they love the draft, but let the nfl say they will raise the salary cap and jet fans in a heartbeat will say lets be the yankees and sign every big name we can get.there is only one thing wrong with that thinking,the jets do not have the yankee history with superstars and more players will go to the steelers, cowboys, packers, giants.so be careful what you wish for because you might become the royals, pirates, orioles instead of a super bowl team you want to be.boosting salary caps help the more established franchises, not the ones who are trying to become champions.

48. By Row on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Spice, I watched the Lions game too. The only reason he had 300 yards was a pass BE took a short slant 74 yards at the end of the first half, than we went to overtime and Holmes took a 3 yard pass I could have thrown 52 yards. The Jets O also went 11 1/2 quarters without a TD. Ya, I missed the stats for the first game. He had 2 SACKS. Either way, he didn’t throw a TD. You said it yourself, against non-winning teams and teams with terrible secondaries, Sanchez seems to light it up. (NE, Buffalo) Actually he was 16th in passing yards, Henne and Bradford are ahead of him. There are 11 non starters behind him (counting Big Ben’s suspension) I’m not trashing Sanchez. This offense is continuously relying on a guy that can’t hit the 3rd look

49. By Row on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

b/c the guy is on the other side of the field. A guy that tries to throw through Steeler defenders on a quick hit. How many screen passes have you seen that weren’t even close? So he threw up 3 TD’s on Buffalo and Miami in the first meetings. Those teams struggle to win 4 games. Although the O stunk it up to lose week 13 45-3 (NE) and 10-6 in the Miami game. In the Pittsburg game the Jets won, Sanchez had no TD’s. B. Smith ran back that kick.. With a top 5 running game every year and a line that has allowed (I believe) the least sacks of any line, Sanchez’ has yet to begin being a franchise QB. BE is a top 10 receiver and Holmes is also, how much more do you think he needs to succeed, Spice? Hans, the difference between 2400 and 3300 is SH!

50. By Westcoast GangGreen on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Row, what,s up with the hate on Mark Sanchez. You answer yourself. The one position QB, gets to much blame and to much credit than any other. A good recceiver suppose to get you good yards after catch, BE in the lion game. And, games are always won/lost in the line of scrimage, so he has a good offensive line. B Smith runback in the Pitt game, special teams again big part of football, MS did score on that bootleg in the Pitt game. Anyway, true Jet fans can care less about what Henne and Bradford do in a game thats not against our Jets. Listen all im saying, is that It’s not the Mark Sanchez Jets, it’s THE NEW YORK JETS, win as a team and lose as a team. If you have to micro pick play 18 in game # 4 ect ect ect to make a point …cont

51. By Westcoast GangGreen on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

cont…. it makes your argument weak. you’ll go back and forth all off season he did this he did that..blah blah blah Sanchez is here to stay for a long time , get use to it, you act like he took your lunch money in high school. In Rex short two years he’s brought us long suffering Jets fans alot of football fun, and it’s only going to get better, so,instead of micro picking after the fact, enjoy the ride when they finally kick that damm super-bowl door in … your going to love it just like every true JET FAN like yourself….. It’s coming very soon!!!!!!

52. By Tom Spicer on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Row, I think he was much better in year 2 than in year 1 & I think he will be much better in year 3 than he was in year 2. I also think he will improve in year 4 over year 3. I do not think he needs anything more than what he has now to be a franchise QB. The Jets just have to bring back Braylon & Holmes

53. By Row on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Spice, you hit it on the nose. I’m sure you guys know that I love em all. It just tears me apart living in STL and seeing Bradford light it up (with nothing). The Jets gave basically their entire draft for Sanchez and Greene. Greene didn’t even win the yard per carry battle with 31 year old LT. I really lean toward the vets every time. I miss the real ground and pound. It seems the Jets actually scored less points this year with the 500 passing attempts. Randy I’d like to see the comparison in an article if you get a chance. I really appreciate this site. It’s something I look forward to when I have time. Bring back LT and Braylon before SH. It will send a message. DL draft T. Everyone have fun watching the Superbowl.. Go Jets

54. By Tom Spicer on Feb 5, 2011 | Reply

Row, I know Bradford is amazing but the thing I try to tell guys on this site is Bradford is not the norm the last rookie QB to play like him was Dan Marino & that was 27 years ago in 1984 you never see rookie QBS play like that. Mark was bad last year, average this year & he has to get much better in the next 2 years.

55. By scjoe on Feb 5, 2011 | Reply

Tom, what about Flacco and Ryan in their rookie years? They did pretty well from what I saw.

56. By Tom Spicer on Feb 6, 2011 | Reply

SCJOE, Flacco & Ryan did do well in there rookie years as QB’S but not like Bradford. Flacco & Ryan had great running games, weapons in the passing game & good D’s. Bradford is throwing to guys nobody ever heard of.

57. By JOHN AVVENTO on Feb 8, 2011 | Reply

Can anyone advise why the Jets owe San Diego a number two pick now, when it has been reported they traded Cromartie to the Jets for a third round pick. In fact, their have been numerous mock drafts with the Jets having a second round selection until the last couple of days. Was it a conditional pick and his production/playing time escalated it to a number two? Or is it, in fact, a number three?