• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Revis Drops In on Super Bowl, Makes His Pick

Posted by Nick Gallo on February 3, 2011 – 6:01 pm

Today at Radio Row at the Super Bowl media center in Dallas, Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis stopped by and chatted with various news outlets about the big game on Sunday and this upcoming offseason. With labor talks the hot topic of conversation, Revis told media members about his plan over the next few weeks as the NFL and NFLPA attempt to come to an accord on a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

“I’m just going to sit back and wait,” Revis said. “I just think that’s the only thing you can do, get information from the agents and the team and just go from there.”

While the three-time Pro Bowler signed his latest contract last summer, many of his teammates can become free agents. Wide receivers Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes come to mind, but in Revis’ eyes it’s his partner on the other side of the defense who is also an important piece of the puzzle. Cornerback Antonio Cromartie had three interceptions and led the Green & White in passes defensed this season.

“It would be very important,” Revis said of having “Cro” back. “We need him. He’s made a lot of plays for us. But we’ll see. I don’t know the situation. I know he’s free but I hope we re-sign him because he’s a great corner.”

Cromartie and Revis helped contain both the Packers and Steelers’ potent offenses this season, but Revis knows just how dangerous both Super Bowl teams’ quarterbacks, Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger, can be, both in the pocket and when they scramble and make plays with their feet.

“Aaron can scramble as well,” Revis said, “but he’s a very smart quarterback and he picks and chooses to throw it deep or throw it short. I just think to defend Rodgers you have to put pressure on him. But Ben Roethlisberger and their offense, I think they have the edge because they extend plays and they have routes off of their regular routes when he scrambles and that can mess a secondary up if you don’t latch onto the guy for the whole down.”

With the fast track at Cowboys Stadium, Super Bowl viewers may be in for a game that sees a lot of deep passes and Houdini-like escapes by both Rodgers and Roethlisberger. The Green & White have a quarterback of their own in Mark Sanchez who is adept at moving his feet in order to make a big play, and Revis noted that any quarterback that can escape pressure can be effective.

“I think if any quarterback scrambles it’s rough on the secondary,” Revis said. “If there’s really no pressure on him and he looks downfield, he can hurt you. I mean, guys break their routes off, especially the Steelers, they break their routes off. Some guys might be doing an out route and do an out-and-up when they see him scrambling. So they have rules in their offense. I think any quarterback is dangerous when they scramble.”

During the regular season, the Jets and Revis lost at home to Green Bay but beat Pittsburgh on the road, then fell to the Steelers in the AFC Championship Game. That last game clearly impacted No. 24’s pick to win Super Bowl XLV.

“I think I’m going with the Steelers just because they have the experience,” Revis said. “They’ve been there, done that. They’ve won two and the whole team has experience in being in the Super Bowl. I just think overall the experience of their team, you can see it. They go to the playoffs every year, they’re always close to the AFC Championship Game or going to the Super Bowl.”

Sanchez Says No Shoulder Surgery

QB Mark Sanchez is also at the Super Bowl venue now and he told some Jets beat writers this evening that he won’t require surgery on his right shoulder. Sanchez is expected to have a busy Friday on Radio Row and we’ll report on what he tells the nation’s sports talkers, starting with ESPN’s Mike & Mike in the Morning.

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Nick Gallo | 21 Comments »

21 Responses to “Revis Drops In on Super Bowl, Makes His Pick”

1. By carl on Feb 3, 2011 | Reply

Yo Revis , Make sure you train during the strike !! No pulled hammies in 2012!! Some more picks in 2012 !!! Watch Charles Woodson get a pick in the Superbowl!!! Go Jets!!!!

2. By DustyCanuck on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Off topic but how bout this for an offseason move(s):

Cut Gholston and Damian Woody to make room to sign Holmes, Edwards and Cro.

Then in first round draft OT Gabe Carimi to take over for Woody.

I think we’d have enough money after getting rid of Woody and Gholston, if not we could cut Jason Taylor and T-Rich as well.

Thoughts???

3. By IRA on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

No reason to worry abut Revis. You can train all you want until you get into football shape all bets are off.
    See that LT wants an answer and i can’t blame him. By now the Jets have their plans mapped out and he does deserve some answers. Really hope they decide to keep him for 1 more year. I think they ask him to take a pay cut and then we will see if he wants to play or not. My bet is its not about the money at all. He wants another shot at the SB and hope he gets it.
    As for Cro sure i would love to have him back. And while Rex loves his CB’s i think Cro would be easier to replace than Edwards who became a leader and one of Mark’s crunch time go to guys.

4. By carl on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Hey Jet Fans, the more I here about strike the more the word “GREED” comes into my mind!When I became a seson ticket holder in eary 90’s tickets were 20 bucks !!! Both sides of this GREED TRIP are gonna kill the game of football!!!!Hey Randy you know who suffers after this, is the fans !!!With this said, I am on strike no season tickets for me this year!!! No paying 8 bucks for a beer or 4.50 for a bottle of water, Still a fan, from my hd tv!!! Go Jets in 2012!!!

5. By raykim on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

man revis you da best in the league demand a trade to steelers in the off season

6. By GaryC on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

If woody cares for the jet fan, why doesn’t he and all the other owners get together and each hold a raffle for all season ticket holders for their team and whoever name is drawn gets free tickets for that seasons home games.I am sure that wouldn’t put to much dent in owners and players pockets.

7. By dandre on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

YOU ARE THE BEST CORNER IN LEAGUE IN MY OPINION AND YOU SHOULD PLAY IN A GREAT ESTABLISHMENT NOT SAYING THAT THE JETS ARE NOT BUT IF YOU DEMAND A TRADE TO THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS AND PLAY ON ONE OF THE BEST DEFENSES IN THE LEAGUE JUST IMAGINE REVIS ON THE SAME DEFENSE WITH TROY POLAMALU JAMES HARRISON LAMAR WOODLEY ZIGGY HOOD JAMES FARRIOR IKE TAYLOR AND RYAN CLARK

8. By Tom on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Gotta resign three players CRO, EDWARDS, HOLMES the WR’s are the biggest there is no way you can possibly do that to Sanchez and screw up the thing he’s got going on with those guys its special and could stay together for along time! love J-co for all he has done but he can be replaced! B-Smith needs to come back as well make this happen T-BOMB!!!

9. By scjoe on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

watch what you say about GREED carl, both in the NFL, in sports, and in life in general, there are some who read these posts who will try to turn that word right back at you in your personal life, I know from experience. that said, I would agree with your assessment of it in the NFL today.but I would also take it a step further,

10. By scjoe on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Randy, how would any type of lockout effect players who would still be under contract? (e.g. Mark Sanchez) would they still be held accountable for language in their contracts prohibiting them from doing certain things during the off season?

11. By Randy Lange on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

scjoe, I don’t know the answer to that.

12. By alex on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

This just annoys me….

13. By Hans on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Dusty, I definitely agree with you on cutting Gholston, but I think D-Wood is still valuable for at least one or two more seasons. Big Kris I’m a little hesitant to say the same about however, considering its been 3 years since he lasted a full season. I think we should draft someone to learn from him and also someone to get tutored in the fine art of DE by big man Shaun Ellis, who is gettin up there himself. Bottom line, next year the pass rush MUST be more effective. In 09, the D was able to carry the O. This year, the O carried a little more. Next season, I would like to see an O and a D that can play equal to each other. And considering Sanchez won’t need surgery, he can spend the whole off-season getting better.

14. By carl on Feb 5, 2011 | Reply

Hey scjoe, greed is greed any way you slice it !!! You have Milionares argueing with Bilionares? Are you in that catagory? God bless if you are ? What hurts the most is that I love the game of football. Do you think they would play the game if the FANS didnt show up in the stands? Come on now! We make this game roll, its as simple as that! I still love my Jets!! Hey NFL Fan you contol what goes on! If you dont pay $8.00 bucks a beer, $100.00 for ticket ! We wont have this greed ! I say let them have a lock out !! Both the owners and players will feel it the hardest. Hey We still have college,high school, peewee!

15. By Play like a JET on Feb 5, 2011 | Reply

I think the chemistry between Sanchez and Edwards could improve to its potential. One thing you cannot deny is how solid Braylon has become. He hustles from whistle to whistle and he has BIG play making ability which he showcased all season long. As for Holmes, he looks great opposite Braylon with a different style of BIG GAME PLAY. Tanny must find a way to keep those guys & BSmith on the team. I would like to see Cro be more physical at the line of scrimmage more often. What a year and what a team from ownership & coaching through the guys who stepped up & played when their number was called. Let’s see it through next year! Thank you!

16. By scjoe on Feb 5, 2011 | Reply

Carl, I think you misinterpreted what I said. I am with you on the subject of greed in sports man, I posted about that subject just a few days ago and got blasted for it, someone saying something to the effect that there may be greed in MY life, not in the NFL. Of course that is absurd, that is why I replied to your original post as I did.

17. By mrdells on Feb 6, 2011 | Reply

I think resigning Edwards and Holmes is a must. While I like Cro I think if we can get Nambi off the market for a few dollars over what cro would cost would definetly be a step up. The big problem is the pass rush we need help there. We should try to do that with the draft. Bring LT back for next year. If he rotates with McKnight and Green it would be a learning exp for McKnight as well as help LT make it through the season.
    A big problem needs to be resolved with the play calling on offense. There seems to be a problem with time management and when to use the run vs pass. Fix those things and suoer bowl here we come

18. By McQueen on Feb 6, 2011 | Reply

Fans complaining about how the fans are hurt by a work stoppage are absurd. It’s no God-given right to go to a game for 20 bucks. If you can’t afford it, don’t go. If no one can afford it then the prices will fall.

19. By Row on Feb 6, 2011 | Reply

Goodell lied to everyone when he made his address. He just wants to turn the fans from the players.. He has done nothing but make the game less fun to watch. He also has changed the game to the point where if a player shows any emotion or dances in the end zone, it changes the entire game with field position flags. QB’s will get bigger like Ben because even though he’s 250, you can’t hit him like every position on the field, it’s ridiculous. LT outplayed all the running backs on the team, there is no reason he should have to play second fiddle to a guy like Mcknight who throws up after running 60 yards.. And to all you TJ haters, he had more yards than Greene, more TD’s, and his long was 70 whereas Greene’s was 23. Go Jets.. Enjoy the SB!

20. By BLINKA POSTS NO ONE HEEDS on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Alex my son,
    Pay no mind. Just a bitter and jealous Giant fan. Laugh knowing that.

21. By Gmany3k on Feb 7, 2011 | Reply

Its Funny that Revis was clueless about who was going to win the superbowl
    it was always the better team.the Steelers got lucky with us 2 weeks ago that was there superbowl because they didn’t bring it yesterday.Greed when you look at the sports logo’s notice that most have only the 1 all seeing eye ,some have devils this is Freemasonry and they are the true owners and they always win.