• Sun., Apr. 20, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Fri., May. 09, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sat., May. 10, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., May. 18, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 01, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Report: Bob Sanders Visiting Green & White

Posted by Nick Gallo on March 2, 2011 – 11:43 am

Former Colts safety Bob Sanders is visiting with the Jets today, according to ESPN 1050 New York.

The recently released Sanders (5’8″, 206) has visited the Jaguars and Bills as well this offseason. Sanders, an Iowa product, was named the AP’s NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2007 but has played in only nine games the past three seasons while battling injuries.

In all the 30-year-old Sanders has played in 48 games in his seven-year career and has compiled six interceptions, 373 tackles, 3.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. He has never played 16 games in a season, but in the two seasons that he played in more than six games for the Colts, he was a Pro Bowler, in 2005 and ’07.

Two More Transactions

The Jets announced two more player departures late this afternoon when they waived DE Vernon Gholston, the sixth overall pick of the ’08 draft, and terminated the contract of veteran tight end Ben Hartsock.

JT: Let’s Do It Again

Jason Taylor, another former Defensive Player of the Year, released by the Jets on Tuesday, told The Associated Press today he would like to play another season with the Green & White.

“I want to play in New York for sure,” Taylor told AP before the Honda Classic pro-am golf tournament. “I told Rex yesterday, if I’m going to play, I want to play with the Jets. If they’ll have me, I think I would enjoy doing it again.”

The 6’6”, 250-pound pass rusher played for the Dolphins for 12 seasons and the Redskins for one before coming to the Jets last offseason.

Taylor filled in while OLB Calvin Pace rehabbed his broken foot and played in the OLB rotation all season, making a few game-changing plays. His late strip sack of Tom Brady secured the Jets’ Week 2 victory over the Patriots, and his safety helped the Jets defeat the Steelers in Week 15 at Heinz Field in Taylor’s hometown of Pittsburgh.

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Nick Gallo | 27 Comments »

27 Responses to “Report: Bob Sanders Visiting Green & White”

1. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

Sanders sounds like this yr’s Brodney Pool. I don’t like the 5′ 8″ but I like better the 206, but it’s still questionable whether he’ll ever return to his peak form. That said, I like that we’re already showing aggressiveness at the S position, because I don’t think any of the guys we have there right now are really all that great. I also don’t think we can assume that Leonhard will come off his injury perfectly, either but then I thought he was overrated when healthy anyway. Tough, smart, talented but just too small to start and play most of the snaps at that position in an NFL with such tall WRs and TEs.

2. By Pranit on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

sign the guy…he’s good when healthy….

3. By wayne on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

Great to hear about the owners’ HUGE loss. The playing field is still not level, but lots better than it usually is. These fatcats are so use to holding all the cards, it would be great to see how they’d handle not having the upper hand….But then we already know how they’d handle it……Isn’t that why they have a salary cap in the first place? Because of their in ability to control themselves. WE EXPECT SO MUCH MORE FROM THE PLAYERS THAN WE DO THE PEOPLE WHO OWN THESE TEAMS……..WHY IS THAT?…………………….There’s no reason not to give Bob Sanders a shot if he wants one. If he’s anywhere near what he was, that’s a major upgrade.

4. By dougmc on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

If Sanders is healthy, he would be a nice piece to the puzzle…

5. By wayne on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

We’re talking about this player and that player…..Isn”t this all just conjecture boys? I know in your hearts you’d like this labor thing to just go away. I know you might not want to hear this but, the light at the end of the tunnel…………IT…..MIGHT……NOT……BE…..WHAT……YOU……THINK…….IT IS (or should I say want it to be). Personally, I always like to see a good fight. And not just on Sunday.

6. By Kleckofan on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

JFS’64- Amen to that, couldn’t agree more. watching bits and pieces of the combine, it looks like there will be a healthy offering of good defensive linemen and safeties, our biggest needs IMO. A bit worried about losing Brad Smith on a second round tender…I know he’s not an elite anything, except maybe kick returner, but when you add up all he does for us he’s very valuable and saves us one or two roster spots.I believe a second round tender is what we did w Leon Washington, who just signed a 4 yr extension for leading the league in KO TD’s.

7. By 38 year fan on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

Glad to see we are not going to waste a pick on a safety…Mark Herzlich (Linebacker ) looks good for The Jets …And Casey Mathews ..We definately need more speed and youth at pass rush..We were looking slow in The Championship game.

8. By 38 year fan on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

Robert Quinn D.E. looks good too …Sure would help to have a pass rush ….

9. By 38 year fan on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

I am counting on Jim Leonhard coming back STRONG ….HE IS SMART, and he’s got heart….. I’ll take that any day of the week .

10. By Tom Spicer on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

If the guy is healthy sign him to a incentive laden deal based of of games played & I heard he is healthy he passed a physical for the Jaguars.

11. By IRA on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

Wayne,
    Thank You. Its great to talk and speculate about who to get rid of and who to bring in. But like you said its all moot talk until the two sides agree on a deal.
    Anyway Sanders can’t stay on the field so like i said if the price was right i guess it would be ok but they better have more depth and not expect him to give you 16 games. Hope i am wrong.

12. By 38 year fan on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

It would be nice to look out for another tight end too…Someone to compliment Dustin Keller…So we can improve our Goal line plays..When we get5 in the red zone we gotta score . No compromise ..

13. By scjoe on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

As much as I like B Smith, and considering all he can do (#4WR, KR, STs, occasional wild cat, etc.) it would be a no brainer to jump all over that #2, or even a #3, considering the lack of draft picks we have and the depth at DO/OLB in this draft. Now, depending on what the new CBA brings, should no other teams make offers to Smith, Smith, Coleman, Digs, etc. How do we pay them all, considering the tenders offered, and attempt to resign BE SH AC at the same time? Not to mention any other FAs Rex may be interested in? It is going to be a wild ride people.

14. By Rocco on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

Bob Sanders will and should be considered. On a incentive based pay only. Safty is of impotance to us and he cant really hurt us. And for all the draft talk I think a pass rusher should be tops, Ayers and honestly Casey Matthews would be great fits.

15. By Anita on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

NO NO & NO again for Sanders… we do best with young hungry players trying to MAKE a name. Leonhard is our guy… check the records yourselves. Lets focus on keeping productive players & drafting good protection for Sanchez… I agree with ’38 year fan’ who wrote we need a compliment to Dustin Keller… another good tight end to give a 1-2 punch as well in the RB spots.

16. By John on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

I would Pass on Sanders Jim Leonhard will be back next season rather have Jets drafts a Safety maybe like S, Rahim Moore.

17. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

Weatherford, who didn’t exactly shine in the later and post-season and of course made that fake punt mistake, not getting tendered is very similar to Feely being let go after missing the FG before halftime against the Colts in ’09. Along with Rhodes leaving after missing coverages vs. the Colts, this is more evidence that Rex and Mr. T aren’t so forgiving of mistakes in the clutch. As for Hartsock not getting tendered, this at least somewhat explains the lunacy of carrying 4 TEs last season, as maybe the other two non-starters were closer to winning a bigger role than it looked. Also validates what a lot of you are saying about the need for new thinking by the Jets at that position.

18. By Mr.Green on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

He only played in 9 games the last 3 seasons. We don’t need another Kris Jenkins.

19. By Scott 40 yr fan on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

Sanders sounds nice but I prefer not rolling the dice with him. What’s with all the Casey Mathews talk? He is not his brother and didn’t show much against Auburn or any all star game. I would grab Colin McCarthy way ahead of him. Had a real good Senior Bowl and a great combine and is much more physical. We need a big wide body at nose, an 8-10 sack guy either DE or LB and an upgrade at safety

20. By frank on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

I think just Sanders presence would push the other guys to learn to play aggressive. Sanders should not be overly counted to carry the defense like the colts did. If the other safeties play up to par, Sanders injuries would be greatly reduced and if their is an effective pass rush both the corners and the safeties would not have to do much to make a simple play.

21. By Rickie New York on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

Saw on TV tonight that in the event of a work stopage – Org OLB CASEY MATHEWS is going to follow the workout routine of his brother SB Champ OLB Clay Mathews….. just another reason for the Jets to draft him. Tho rookies cant work out with their teams – this kid will be getting trained by one of the most dynamic pass rushers in the league. His brother Clays sucess has made Mathews a houseold name and in NY he would be an instant star. Wed have to get him with our 2nd pick tho – maybe trading up. First pick JJ Watts – lets build a pass rush – our biggest area of need! Wish we could trade up and get Julio Jones to pair with Santonio. Thatd be amzing to have those two.

22. By IRA on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

Surprised about Hartstock. I thought he was a real solid blocker. It probably had to be a money issue and maybe they re-sign him at a later date. If not then for now Cumberland will get his chance and Mulligan too. Who knows when that chance might be? It sure won’t be in the spring as it looks at this moment. Wouldn’t be surprised if they want to sign Sanders and will use some of the money they had paid Hartstock with.

23. By wayne on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

Ira, I guess there’s nothing wrong with a little wishin’ and hopin’….As for Sanders, who’s to say a guy, a prideful man I’m sure, that he can’t come in with a little extra incentive, wanting to prove he can still play and with a chance at another SB and have the kind of impact that Lott did when he came to the Jets. It’s possible……………………….I have to add that my prospective on this sport is not what it once was. I find myself now wondering what guys like Sanders will have to deal with when this is all done…..Not saying I was anywhere near these guys’ level, but there was a time in high school when I realized that this game would not be good for my health. With each passing yr I realize how wise a decision that was.

24. By Chicago Bob on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

Smith did a nice job however if the Jets can get a high enough #2 for him, they would be crazy not to seriously consider it – eventually Smith may come to the conclusion where he is looking to be more than a kickoff return specialist/wildcat QB and then you lose him to free agency and get nothing. Supposedly this draft is heavy with d-linemen and safeties – positions we need to defeat NE, INDY, BALT & PITT. Not sure if they signed the kid (Owens) out of the CFL however he may be the answer to their kickoff return needs. As Sanchez grows along with his receivers, the wildcat will be used less and less and as a result, Smith will basically be used as a kickoff return specialist – can’t afford to put a lot of money into a situational player

25. By GaryC on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

when the time comes the jets will sign Zach Miller like I stated because raiders won’t resign him, he will line up with keller in two tightend set and off set the loss of edwards

26. By Jimmer on Mar 4, 2011 | Reply

The Smurfs as our starting safeties? Oh please no. We have enough trouble with TE’s who are usually 6-7 inches taller than this guy with one short safety. And we’re considering bringing in another short guy? I don’t care about past numbers, this would be a disaster in waiting. Our LB’s can’t cover an average TE. I need a drink.

27. By Refayel on Mar 13, 2011 | Reply

Didn’t Sanders sign with Jax? I hope so because there’s no need for someone so injury prone to be signed. Anyway the Jets move up to draft Patrick Peterson & make him our Ed Reed?