• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

Sports Business Award Nominees: Jets, NMS

Posted by Randy Lange on March 14, 2011 – 10:08 am

This new week begins with the nominations of a team and a stadium near and dear to our hearts for the prestigious Sports Business Awards show to be held in two months.

SportsBusiness Journal/Daily this morning unveiled the nominees for this year’s 15 awards to honor excellence in sports business, and among the candidates are the New York Jets as Professional Sports Team of the Year and New Meadowlands Stadium as Sports Facility of the Year.

“I think we have the most innovative, hard-working staff in sports, and I’m really pleased to see their work recognized,” said Matt Higgins, executive vice president of business operations. “We really appreciate the SBJ for noticing the transformation that has taken place at the Jets over the years.”

New Meadowlands Stadium opened for business in 2010 and enjoyed a successful first year of operation as the home field of the Jets and Giants as well as venue for many other athletic events and concerts.

“We’re excited about the nomination,” said Thad Sheely, executive vice president of finance and stadium development. “It recognizes the tremendous achievement developing and opening the new stadium, which is the proud home of the Jets.”

Besides the Jets, here are the four other organizations up for Professional Sports Team:

■ Ganassi Racing

■ Orlando Magic

■ Pittsburgh Penguins

■ San Francisco Giants

And here are the five other nominations besides NMS for top sports facility:

■ Amway Center (Orlando)

■ Arrowhead Stadium (Kansas City)

■ Consol Energy Center (Pittsburgh)

■ Red Bull Arena (Harrison, N.J.)

■ Target Field (Minneapolis)

An outside panel of judges will select the winners, who will be presented with their awards on May 18 during ceremonies at the Marriott Marquis in New York.

Dick Steinberg Honor Ahead

Another honor will be presented to a member of the Jets’ family posthumously when Dick Steinberg is inducted into the National Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Museum later this month.

Steinberg was the general manager of the Jets for six seasons before his death at age 60 in 1995. He was a respected talent scout who helped build the Rams and Patriots and was praised for his knowledge of the game, his work ethic and his self-effacing nature. He also was a friend of the Hall, which after his passing created the Dick Steinberg Good Guy Award.

The 19th annual induction ceremony has a football feel as other inductees besides Steinberg will be 49ers offensive tackle Harris Barton, Wisconsin tackle Gabe Carimi, and Long Island high school DE Niv Sultan.

The Hall of Fame induction ceremony will be held at The Suffolk Y JCC at 74 Hauppauge Road in Commack, N.Y., starting at 10:30 a.m. on Sunday, March 27, and the event is open to the public. For more information, call Scott at (631) 462-9800, ext. 126. or go to www.jewishsports.org.

Tags: , , , , , ,

22 Responses to “Sports Business Award Nominees: Jets, NMS”

1. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

Pardon me for taking no joy in the Jets getting nominated for this award, it sounds like something out of MAD magazine in the ’60s. Honoring teams for how well they do as a business entity instead of how well they do on the field, what a joke. Especially when the teams, the league, and the players can’t seem to behave like adults and figure out how to split $9 billion while most of the folks I know are trying to figure out how to split the tab at the sports bars where they watch the games. (Sorry MJV, I tried my best but I can’t think of any way to tie this rant into one about Schotty or Brad Smith.)

2. By uncle joe on Mar 15, 2011 | Reply

And finally I see the first Mock Draft-WalterFootball.Com-with the Jets taking Brooks Reed. Now if we can somehow(trade Keller)get into the second round and get safety Quinten Carter,3rd DT Kenrick Ellis,4th TE Zach Pianalto. JUST PUT ME IN THE WAR ROOM.

3. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 15, 2011 | Reply

Ira, you might wanna read Peter King’s MMQB piece on the SI site. He says, among other things, that the fact that Goodell and the NFL backed away from the 18-game season, which the players always hated, in their offer shows it’s dead in the water for good. I’m not quite that confident but I’ll bet he’s proven right. uncle joe, I’m surprised to see you join in this odd Keller-bashing that’s sprung up lately. I’m content to wait and see what DK, SH, BE, and J-Co can do with a HC who doesn’t want to “just run the ball,” a OC who seems not to toss a coin for his play calls at the goal line, and a QB who can throw consistently accurately from 2 to 50 yds. Until we have all that, it’s hard to blame the guys whose job is just to catch the ball.

4. By IRA on Mar 15, 2011 | Reply

Tom, The only reason they might have backed off the 18 game schedule for now is that they don’t want to increase the rosters which would cost the owners more $. I hope they stay at 16 but some time in the near future i still feel they will go to 18 games.
    uncle joe,
    You must get over the trading Keller deal. The kid is a Pro Bowl type TE and will make it in 2011.

5. By uncle joe on Mar 15, 2011 | Reply

64 Tom I think I’m the one who started the Keller bashing! Marshall Faulk(who I happen to think is as Great an Anylist as he was a Football player)was saying last night on NFL NETWORK that he feels the Jets most important Free Agent is Cromartie. I couldn’t agree more! Edwards is a close second and I would tender Holmes for as many years as I can.

6. By uncle joe on Mar 15, 2011 | Reply

And since I am commenting like an ANIMAL to make up for lost time, I would like to thank Randy and your Team for your awesomeness in allowing us to sound off during these tough times.You Guys Are GREAT!

7. By GaryC on Mar 15, 2011 | Reply

to the posts who continue to back the players saying not all of them make millions until their second or third contracts,oh well,I guess they have to do good on their jobs just like every other poor slob out there who is looking to get raises but we don’t have bosses raising us millions.

8. By Tom Spicer on Mar 15, 2011 | Reply

This is 100% on the owners 1 The owners are asking for more money the players are not. 2 The owners locked out the players the players are not on strike 3 The owners are trying to make the players have a longer season without paying them anymore (What would you say if your boss said you have to work 12% longer than you do now with no extra pay) 4 The owners are claiming to be losing money which is a lie they are making money hand over fist the NFL is a cash machine 5 People are saying the players want the owners to open there books THATS NOT THE CASE the players are saying if YOU are losing money like you say than prove it to us by opening your books 6 The players have said they are willing to take a pay cut if the owners prove they are

9. By Tom Spicer on Mar 15, 2011 | Reply

losing money well the owners are not willing to open there books to prove they are losing money because they are not 7 The owners opted out of the current deal to get more money the players where fine with the current deal 8 These teams could play in empty stadiums & sell ZERO apparel just off of the money from the TV deals the teams have they are profitable 9 Some people think all football players are rich that is not the case unless a guy has played well & earned that money thru a 2nd or 3rd contract or they are a 1st round draft pick they are not making millions. Also the average career span for a NFL player s 3 or 4 years 10 Most of these players make a few hundred thousand dollars are out of the league in the blink of an eye & are working 9 to 5 jobs just like everyone else before you know it. The billioner owners just want more money & more money & MORE MONEY. WHEN DOES IT END

10. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 15, 2011 | Reply

Tom Spicer ..I try to respect everyone’s opinion yes even yours .But 100%on owners even in fabricating a 400 page explanation you couldn’t justify a statement as incoherent as that…. when I and most of us here make a statement that controversial usually we add some viable facts, Add your valid facts not gibberish so we can go along with you.. These players don’t work they play a game & overpaid who foots the bill (us) when the stadiums go empty were will the players blood money come from.. owners deserve a profit on their investment players and greedy agents( I know you 4got about agents millions I didn’t hear about it in your rant) players or agents have no business to open any books period.

11. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 15, 2011 | Reply

CONT. next that other statement about football players average span in the league is 3-4 years only make a few hundred thousand if your talking about players who haven skill enough or those who do and don’t want it can’t cut it in the NFL or situations like V-G and that QB from Raiders it doesn’t count sorry bud … So now I’ll ask facts my friend facts and like to see where that stat came I’m very interested if that’s true ?

12. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 15, 2011 | Reply

Your ten points of argument are extremely impressive, Spicer, and they illustrate my problems with the owners as well. Still, it looks like the owners offered a pretty good deal the other day, much better than I’d expected this soon, so I don’t understand why the players bought into this nonsense from Smith about decertifying the union instead of taking the deal.

13. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 15, 2011 | Reply

I hope you’re wrong about the 18-game season, Ira, but I suspect you could be right. uncle joe, what, you’re taking pride in starting the anti-Keller crusade? I don’t get this, do you really think some 4th-round draft choice can instantly do what DK’s done for us so far? What cracks me up is when folks on this site blame Holmes for taking catches away from DK, Edwards from taking catches away from SH, LT for taking catches away from BE. The problem is we’ve got a HC who doesn’t know how to use the O weapons he’s got, a OC who wants to be the smartest kid in the class instead of the one with the most points on the board, and a QB who’s a tossup as to future greatness. Tinkering, much less condemning, future All-Pros like DK doesn’t cut it.

14. By Tom Spicer on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

Mike Jet Vet, I have said my reasons why I think the players are right. Please put down your reasons why the players are wrong. The only thing you bring up is Vernon Gholston & Jamarcus Russell making tons of money for nothing. Which is the 1 thing you say I agree with. BUT the players are willing to have a rooie salary cap which would have fixed that. Please give me 1 valid point on the side of the owners besides rookie salarys?

15. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

I gave you many let me try one more time ..(1st) they shell out the money (second) they own and pay to build and rebuild stadiums fans park their butts (three) its their businesses and family wealth that has greased the wheel from the very beginnings of the the NFL (four) they deserve to earn a profit for all they’ve risked to build what you see in front of you today they just came along for the ride Players and greedy agents and been taking never giving ever since ..if these 4 reasons aren’t enough let me know I’ll explain the other 50 OK Spicer

16. By Tom Spicer on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

Mike Jet Vet, The shell out the money OKAY? Are the players supposed to play for free? Do the players not have camps, OTA’s, minicamps & training camps & public apprecncens that they have to go to? Sorry I dont know who told you they pay for the stadiums you are sadly mistaken Jet fans who pay $30,000 PSL’S pay for the stadium. If you have a 4 tickets for you & your family its $120,000 before you even pay for the tickets. Than at $750 per ticket times 4 its $3,000 per game 10 home games thats $30,000 per year. The owners get money from the state & the TAX PAYERS pay for these stadiums! The outragious ticket prices pay for the stadiums. The appraell money pays for the stadiums & the TV deals pay for the stadiums. The owners pay for SQUAT!

17. By Tom Spicer on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

The owners give so much but it cost $150,000 for me, my wife & my 2 kids to go to the Jet games. PLEASE THIS IS 100 % ON THE OWNERS PERIOD END OF STORY!

18. By GaryC on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

with this administrations spreading the wealth theory why does it never filter down to the fans.it runs smoothly between owners and players but kind of clogs between players and fans.

19. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

Tom Spicer with every statement you make it reminds me of open mouth insert foot ..Do we expect players to play for nothing what do you think, do you know of any who have in the 70 someodds years since the beginning of the NFL ..Reason why this idiotic senerio is even going on is because these players are out of hand between the $$ and perksyet never happy..Problem I have and reality is this, Doesn’t matter if owners have trillions its not players unions or agents business they get paid very well all of them .. I owned a business for 30years I made 5-6 times what my employees made thats the reward for the risk you take in business any1 of them asked me to open my books they would be shown the door

20. By Jet Fan Tom Since '64 on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

5-6 times what your employees made is an admirable ratio, MJV, even heroic! But CEO’s have gone from making 10 times what their average employees made in the early 1970s to making 1,000 times it today, so it’s hard to really pity NFL owners much when the least valuable team in the NFL, the Raiders, is worth more than the Lakers. But the ratio I’m really interested in is what owners make compared to fans, without whom their little toy store wouldn’t be worth squat. Of course, the unit cost of a hot dog or a beer compared to what they charge in NFL stadiums for those items would probably be good for a few laughs, too…

21. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

Tom64 that’s net not gross my friend …Gross added up to 30 times…thing is after expenditures overhead overruns mishaps well you gt the picture , I was happy to come out 5-6 times up believe me

22. By Jet Fan Tom Since '64 on Mar 17, 2011 | Reply

I hear ya, MJV, net is what counts, gross just factors in all the money you hadda spend to keep the place open and people working in the first place. The figures I’m citing about CEO’s are net as well in most cases. What’s more, a majority of CEO’s today don’t have a damn thing to do with the founding and financing of their companies, whereas I’ll bet every cent you ever put into your business came from stuff like the G.I. Bill, friends, family members, etc. I’m sure you’d do a better job owning an NFL franchise than some of the clowns we got doing it these days.