• Sun., Apr. 20, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Fri., May. 09, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sat., May. 10, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., May. 18, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 01, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Sanchez in the Middle of March Madden-ness

Posted by Eric Allen on March 21, 2011 – 4:33 pm

Mark Sanchez is involved in some tourney madness of his own.

As one of 32 players being considered by ESPN Sportsnation for the cover of EA Sports’ Madden ’12 Game, the Jets’ franchise quarterback is already in the middle of a “Round 1 matchup” with Dolphins T Jake Long. Fans can vote here in the opening round until Sunday, March 27.

Sanchez, a No. 5 seed in the “tournament,” should be a prohibitive favorite over the 12th-seeded Long. But if the talented passer advances to Round 2 next week, it figures that Saints QB Drew Brees will be waiting there for him. Take nothing away from Buccaneers QB Josh Freeman, a No. 13 seed, but the No. 4-seeded Brees is one of the NFL’s most popular players, a five-time Pro Bowler and a Super Bowl MVP.

Both No. 1 seeds are quarterbacks as Philip Rivers is on Sanchez’s side of the bracket while Packers QB Aaron Rodgers sits atop the opposite ledger. Sanchez also has Eagles dual threat Michael Vick (No. 3) on his side while former Jet/current Pat Danny Woodhead got a surprising No. 4 seed across the way. Other eyebrow raisers included Broncos QB Tim Tebow getting in with an 11 seed and the Seahawks getting their “12th Man” respected as a 10-seed.

Jets Nation, a skeptical bunch by nature, might be scared off by the “Madden Curse.” Vick broke his leg the preseason after he donned the 2004 cover. And Brett Favre appeared on the cover of the ’09 game as a Packer before being traded to New York’s AFC representative (downloads allowed you to get Favre in a Jets jersey later on), played well early after the move, but then the team lost four of its final five as No. 4 threw just two TDs against nine interceptions. Since 1999, other players affected by the curse have included Ray Lewis and Donovan McNabb.

So will Sanchez be a “Legend Killer”? That’s the nickname Brian Mulligan, our gameday and special events director, has labeled the Sanchize after he helped the Green & White dispose of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady back in January. He already had playoff postseason wins over Rivers and Carson Palmer on his résumé, so we’ll see if he can add to that in this clever move by EA Sports and ESPN.

Well Wishes to Steve Sabol

Our hearts dropped a bit this weekend when we heard that NFL Films president Steve Sabol had been diagnosed with a brain tumor. Not only a visionary and a legend, Sabol is a classy gentleman who we are rooting for hard here at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center.

Last March, we were honored to have Sabol in our facility to discuss the Jets’ upcoming appearance on HBO’s “Hard Knocks.” But now a year later, doctors are going to attempt to shrink his tumor through both chemotherapy and radiation. CNNSI’s Peter King provided both Sabol’s email (Sabol.NFLFilms@NFL.com) and also an address where folks can send cards: 1 NFL Films Plaza, Mount Laurel, NJ 08054.

And to borrow a line from King in his Monday Morning Quarterback column, Sabol “loves hearing from you. I know he does. And I know how much so many of you love what Sabol has done over the years. For so many, he’s been a lifeline to a love of football. Well, that lifeline needs you now. Drop him a note if you can. Thanks.”

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 20 Comments »

20 Responses to “Sanchez in the Middle of March Madden-ness”

1. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

I am a big Steve sabol fan he’s a giant and pioneer in his field God speed my good man and god bless.. Sanchez on the cover of madden I could care less what we gave up for him I rather he concentrate on winning a SB..Guess what Another brilliant rule change coming our way folks moving kickoffs from 30 to 35 and touch backs from 20 to 25 .. reason being (god I hope I can write this with a straight face) they’re willing to sacrifice excitement for what makes the game more appealing to fans for less injuries REALLY!!! wow I can’t wait for yet one more idiotic rule change..Gee Roger with all new rule changes you’ve imposed on the league I’ve seen oh so many fewer injuries..will it even end will he ever get fired

2. By Danny Mastrodonato on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

HOPE SANCHEZ WINS! WOULD LOVE TO SEE HIM ON THE COVER.

3. By carl on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Hey Randy Please let Mr Sabol know that Jets Nation is pullin for him to make a speedy recovery.God Bless. Thank You for your vision of the game.

4. By Dug on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

If we could get several of N.E.’s picks for Revis, got my vote

5. By IRA on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

May Good Bless and give Sabol the strength to fight this battle he has. I guess this really puts things in
    perspective.

6. By Pranit on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

Randy,

When does the draft coverge begin?

thanks

7. By Tom Spicer on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

No Madden cover for Mark please the “Madden Curse” is real.

8. By Randy Lange on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

Pranit, Eric Allen will write the first of our draft position previews, on the defensive line, which will be posted later today.

9. By Tom Spicer on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

Mark with playoff wins on the road vs Carson Palmer, on the road vs a 13 & 3 Bolts team with Phil Rivers, on the road vs Manning & on the road vs a 14 & 2 Pats team with Brady THE KID IS A WINNER! Unless he has a major injury I have no doubt he is going to be a good NFL QB. I also love the name Mark “The Legend Killer” Sanchez. This years AFC championship game down 24 to 0 on the road in PITT most teams would have quit. For him to lead us back & throw 2 touchdown passes in minus 5 degrees to get us on the goal line late in the 4th quater with a chane to tie the game I still say & will always say until the day I die. If Schotty knew what he was doing we punch it in & tie the game then go on to win it. We are in good hands in the QB position.

10. By GaryC on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

look, this was my point in previous post about getting patriots picks for revis,jets will not get a dominating front seven player where they pick.,patriots pick 16th I believe,jets get that pick plus a 2 and 3 from pats and jets can gett watt or kerrigan and keep those guys away from pats.if jets play draft right they can get watt, rahim moore and brooks reed in this draft. you have your end, safety and rush linebacker in one draft and we find out how good a player Kyle Wilson is.if jets do not make trade pats will have wilfork,ty warren and jj watt or kerrigan as there front three.

11. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

MJV, what’d ya do, break into my computer? Both of your main points today, the Madden nonsense with Sanchez when what matters is what he does in the real game and Goodell’s latest idiotic rules changes, are exactly what I wanted to write but I figured folks might be tired of hearing it from me, or that Randy wouldn’t print it. But then you go and write it for me. Between this post today and the one yesterday about affordable games, concessions, and parking, you’re making my job a lot easier.

12. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

Oh yeah, MJV, and of course we all wish the great Steve Sabol the best. I knew I wouldn’t be the only one to write that!

13. By GaryC on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

this is to jet fan tom,remember my quote last year saying jets will save the best for first speaking of javid best.this year if they move up in draft and select JJ Watt and the college players don’t attend the draft,will goodell say at the podium when jets select,WATTS UP, where is he.

14. By IRA on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

Back in the 60′s there was a Saturday morning show that had the highlites of all the NFL games from the previous week. I don’t remember was that an NFL Films show or not by the Sabol family?

15. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

GaryC..I hear that I said the same about Patsies and their picks they will move all over just to position themselves in and around our guys ..With that said and some carefull thought they can only play 11 on O 11 on D at a time like everyone else..Spicer Right the Madden curse Ha I forgot about your man crush on Sanchez which is pretty scary I might add, now I understand why your backing players maybe Sanchez will own a team someday, I’m sure he’ll make enough over the years thanks to fans like you .. Tom64 glad to be of service my friend

16. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 22, 2011 | Reply

Ira, I think you’re referring to “AFL Highlights,” “NFL Highlights,” and “The Game of the Week” for each league, but I don’t remember any of them being on Saturday mornings. I recall the AFL edition and maybe The Games of the Week being on at about 4:30 PM Saturday and then Saturday nights at about 11:30 PM. I think maybe one of the highlights shows was on Friday night and the other on Saturday night, this being in the New York City area. Keep up the good work, MJV, and GaryC, I hope you’re close again this year. I still say next year at this time — if there’s a season, of course — we’ll be talking about your pick Ducasse like we’re talking about Slauson now.

17. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

And P.S., Ira, all those NFL and AFL highlight shows were Sabol productions, if I remember right.

18. By Rick on Mar 23, 2011 | Reply

Madden Curse. No ty, Mark Sanchez please run from this.

19. By Westcoast GangGreen on Mar 24, 2011 | Reply

On behalf of all JET NATION!!!! WE WISH STEVE SABOL A SPEEDY AND HEALTHY RECOVERY … It’s was and still the Sabol”s “father and son” vision and eye for the camera that gives all football fans goosebumps watching those awesome highlights.. Get well…!!!

20. By SOCALJETFAN on Mar 28, 2011 | Reply

GOOD LUCK SANCHEZ,HOPE TO SEE YOU IN THE COVER.