• Sat., Nov. 22, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show co-hosted by Jeane Coakley and Brian Custer with analysts Ray Lucas and Erik Coleman, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Taylor, Wilkerson Head Prospect Visits Today

Posted by Eric Allen on April 11, 2011 – 9:49 am

The Jets will open their doors for college prospects visits this week and it promises to get off to a big start today. That’s because a pair of highly rated defensive linemen — Baylor DT Phil Taylor (Video Highlights), a 6’3”, 334-pounder, and Temple DL Muhammad Wilkerson (Video Highlights), a 6’4”, 315-pounder — will be at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center.

All NFL teams are permitted to transport and host 30 prospects, but a stipulation allows players who either attend college or live in a club’s metropolitan area to count as free visits. Wilkerson, who played football and basketball at Linden HS, is among three visitors today who will be counted as local.

The safety pair of Jaiquawn Jarrett, another Temple product who played every game of his collegiate career after starring at Fort Hamilton HS in Brooklyn, N.Y., and Joe Lefeged, who averaged 26.7 yards per kickoff return during his Rutgers career, also won’t count against the 30 limit.

Along with Taylor, there will be a trifecta of offensive line out-of-metro visitors: Ray Dominguez, OL, Arkansas, Brandon Fusco, C, Slippery Rock, and Jah Reid, T, Central Florida.

Last season, Dominguez helped the Razorbacks offense produce a 3,000-yard passer and a 1,000-yard rusher together for the first time in Hogs history. He lined up predominantly at RT during his collegiate career, but some believe he’ll be suited better at guard on the next level.

Fusco (6’4”, 306) won the Gene Upshaw Division II Lineman of the Year award this year and the Division II Rimington award as the nation’s best center. He also was the first player from Slippery Rock to ever earn a Senior Bowl invitation.

The 6’7”, 321-pound Reid has great size and actually got his weight down from the 370 pounds at which he entered school before starting 41 games at RT.

Taylor’s stock seemingly continues to rise by the day. With so many teams playing 3-4 fronts now in the NFL, he has the look of a prototypical nose tackle and he’s going to draw double-team attention. Last season he amassed 62 tackles, seven stops behind the line and two sacks.

Wilkerson, even though he’s listed as a DT, would most likely shift to end and 5-technique in a 3-4 front. He wasn’t contained much at Temple the past two seasons, following up a productive sophomore campaign (61 tackles, 10.5 stops behind the line, seven sacks) with 70 tackles, 13 tackles for loss and 9.5 sacks as a junior.

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 31 Comments »

31 Responses to “Taylor, Wilkerson Head Prospect Visits Today”

1. By IRA on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Fusco is never going to last to the 4th rd. But if somehow they can land Taylor, Fusco and either Jarrett or Lefeged i would call it a good start to 2011. Wilkerson would be no slouch either. Just don’t think he is dropping past 22 or so. Its starting to look like the Jets might have to move up to land Taylor or Wilkerson.
    GO JETS!!!!

2. By uncle joe on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Santonio Holmes lost me as a fan when he took himself off punt returns during the season because the Punter was booming the ball and he couldn’t return them(forgot which game it was).Now he shoots his mouth off about not signing his tender. He just came off a 4 game suspension and was going to be cut by Steelers if the Jets didn’t trade for him. Jets restructured his contract so he wouldn’t lose money during his suspension.

3. By uncle joe on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

I understand if Holmes wants a multi year deal,but NO reason to threaten not to sign it now! Just not making himself look good, he will have to sit the whole season because no one is gonna give a 1 & a 3 for a me first WR who can be suspended for the season at anytime. Plus he has dropped balls this year and I see fumbling as an issue too!

4. By uncle joe on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

All the more reason Jets could go TE in the first round. With no WRs worthy at 30 the Jets could get the 6’6″ redzone threat who could block.And Edwards,the 6’3″ WR who is a great blocker gets the contract as does Antonio”My Man”Cromartie! Have fun sitting on your couch Holmes!

5. By GaryC on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

look, in this draft the patriots are even trying to trade down or out of first round, would definitely take wilkerson over taylor, look you don’t get along with Paterno you must have character flaws, oh where have I heard that before.

6. By BP on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Hey guys, given the teams track record for taking talent lately, i say we keep our picks this year and at #30 select 1 0f three guys in this order. WR Johnathan Baldwin, DE/LB Brett Reid, or CB Jimmy Smith. these three guys are elite talents that can help the Jets immediately. Baldwin is the closest thing ive seen plaxico B. Reid has a motor to be a nemesis. Smith looks like CRO but has better change in direct skills and hes more physical. I LOVE THESE THREE GUYS FOR THE JETS

7. By GaryC on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

here also is my final point on the holmes issue, with the pampered athlete of today never sign a free agent or make a deal for a player who has accomplished more than you have,example, holmes winning a title as opposed to the jets not winning one.when you have reached the pinnacle of success in the sports world you become very discontented if you achieve less.Example Holmes giving the jets grief.so keep the free agent signings to people who are looking to accomplish.winning a title.

8. By scjoe on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

I think Taylor would, and should be the pick if he is there, if not, the best option would be to trade down in to the top of the second where the talent level does not fall a whole lot in this draft, and pick up another pick or possibly two. I understand when you are allowed to bring in 30 or so prospects you have to do your due diligence and take a look at all positions, but the talk of actually taking a center or any O linemen high in this draft, at this time don’t make to much sense. The first three picks have to be defense, unless of course something out of the ordinary happens and someone who is projected a 1st or 2nd rounder drops significantly.

9. By Walt on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

I am not really excited about the draft this year as it applies to the new york jets.Looking at the jets roster I can not see a rookie making much if any contribution to the team this year,We seem to be really strong at every position.Look at Wilson our first round draft choice last year.He was basically a bench warmer most of the year.I guess you have to give a lot of credit to the scouts for being able to sign a lot of free agents with real potential.What worries me is the gohlston factor keeping an inferior player on the roster just because you drafted him..Belechuck will tell you that is not the way to go.Unfortunately I think the jets have done that too much in the past.

10. By Alex.G on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Can’t Blame Holmes for wanting a muti-year Contract with the Jets ,he is in his 6th year and 1 year is no deal!! I think the Jets will give him a multi-year Deal. Holmes is doing nothing wrong and has done well for us.Ink him to 4 years and move on!!!

11. By uncle joe on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know,this Marvin Austin from North Carolina looks like a BEAST. 6’2 or 3″ 305lbs,he is a DT but I wonder if he can play 3-4 End. Watch Robert Quinn highlights, this Austen #9 pops up all over the place. They are talking about him working his way into the first round.

12. By IRA on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

scjoe,
    OK we are getting close to the draft now. So its time to get down to business. While mocks are fun but ridiculous because nobody knows how things will play out here is my guess by position.
    NT, OLB, safety, WR, OL, CB or QB.

13. By scjoe on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Ira, I would say you nailed it, only thing I would change is the QB I would go TE if there is something special down there in place of a QB, only because I think there is more of a need for an experienced back up QB then a rookie to groom at this point. I know I have been pretty hard on MS, but I am a realist and I know he is not going anywhere any time soon.The other thing would be OLB/DE as # 2 option as opposed to strictly an OLB, but I am pretty sure that is what you meant as well. I like the kid out of Miami (Allen Bailey) if he is still there at 30. I also like the kid from Pit (Romeus) maybe in the 3rd. I know he is another tweener and he only played 2 games in 2010 but he had more then 20 sacks his previous 2 yrs

14. By scjoe on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Walt, I have to agree, to a point anyway, about a rookie making an impact this year, but if there were any single position that I would say has more of a chance to contribute immediately as a rook, on this team, it would have to be DE/OLB as far as their need positions anyway, even then it would take a little bit of luck to acquire the right guy, remember V Gholston? But for everyone of him there is a Woodley and of course a Wake, like down in Miami. The reason I say this is because rookies at that position tend to get by more with their physical ability then anything else early. That may be true with a RB as well, but we do not need one early.

15. By GaryC on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Talent wins out in the end so no way do I take the number 6 or 7 defensive end or tackle over the number one rated player at another position no matter if it is a need or not.when you keep reaching at a position you lose out in the end.

16. By John on Apr 11, 2011 | Reply

Would love to get DT/NT Phil Taylor the no# one guy if he there. Not crazy about Wilkerson rather take OLB Akeem Ayers or DE, Ryan Kerrigan over Wilkerson. I think the best option would be to trade out of the 1st rd if Taylor and one of the 2 players I name are gone. Then I would hope to take either OLB Akeem Ayers if he there and I would take if he still on the board S, Rahim Moore or take Moore with the 1st pick in the 2nd Rd and then I would take DE, Christan Ballard with the second Pick. later Rds I wouild take a RT or RG, WR or TE 5th Rd RB Six Rd. Jets needs are NT, DE, Safety, RT, WR, RB or a TE.

17. By uncle joe on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Love this Jaiquawn Jarrett safety from Temple, a Brooklyn kid. Never heard about him till this article. Watched some of his highlights,this kid can HIT! They say he could go in the 3rd round. I hope teams who need QBs call us to jump into the end of the 1st round. Also teams who need O linemen might call us to get in front of the Steelers or NE at the top of round 2.

18. By uncle joe on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Why is everyone in love with this Akeem Ayers? he looks SOFT to me. Jets might be tempted to move up a little if Houston comes within striking distance. Where there is SMOKE there ussually is FIRE, MOSS TO JETS talk is Heating Up,not sure how I feel about this!

19. By IRA on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

uncle joe,Jarrett is a player. Just needs to improve his coverage skills. Temple gave us Klecko in 1977 with the 144th pick in the 6th rd. Jarrett you will have to grab in rd #3. I doubt very much he lasts until rd #4.
    Gary, Excellent approach of drafting players in the early rds.
    scjoe,
    Any player we pick that can get pressure on the QB will make this team better and that includes Taylor or any other NT that will demand double teams and open up the lanes to get to the QB.
    Just don’t expect too much from any rookies unless they are a RB or kicker this year because of this labor nonsense. No OTA’s and no real camps this is basically a redshirt year for all rookies.
    Imagine being a team that drafst a QB high and wants him to start? Can’t

20. By GaryC on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

for the posters who want Ayers as the jet pick,you need physical linebackers for the 3 4.the giants in their glory days had taylor and banks.ayers is about speed and would be big as a weakside backer in 4 3.Here is also a note about sanchez, wasn’t thrilled with his theatrics when holmes would score a touchdown and he went into that jet plane dance, looked like he was following the lead of holmes.Holmes needs to follow Sanchez, not the other way around.

21. By scjoe on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Ira, you are exactly right about a team picking a QB high and wanting him to start in this years environment. Imagine Carolina picking #1 overall, selecting a QB,( a very good possibility) and having a brand new system in place as well! Looks to me like they may be selecting #1 overall once again in 2012. uncle joe, I would take Moss, at the right price, IF we can get a high pick for SH. We saw what Moss can do if motivated, I wouldn’t want him for more then one year, but that should be enough to groom a rook.

22. By IRA on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

I think getting Moss is a bad move. What has he won. If Brady and BB got sick of him do you think he will respect sanchez and others? I doubt it. Get the Edwards and Holmes things done instead. Why break up the chemistry they built last year and bring in Moss who only knows how to BREAK UP chemistry of teams. Don’t want to see Moss dogging it down the sidelines for the Jets.
    And don’t try to sell me they have to keep him from going back to the Pats. He has a losing record vs the Jets since Rex is here and the 08 game in Foxboro.
    Do not want Moss in Green and White!

23. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Sanchez has much bigger problems than his theatrics, GaryC — for example, his mechanics. The Moss talk isn’t serious, Ira, as proven by the fact that it surfaced just a day after Holmes made his awkward, ill-advised pronouncements. I’m sure as we speak Mr. T, Rex, and the others are figuring out exactly what to offer Holmes and Edwards and exactly which WR to take in the draft if they don’t or can’t play ball with us.

24. By scjoe on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

64tom, problem is the Jets CAN NOT figure out what to pay SH at this point and that probably will not change when the draft occurs, as for BE not only we can not negotiate with him at this point, we don’t even know if he will be available to start the season, so, where does that leave us on draft day re a WR? They are between a rock and a hard place, that said, do not rule out a Moss signing at least for 1 year. I have confidence Rex can make the best of the situation. With all, or most of their WRs in signing limbo, it is like a perfect storm, or in our case make that an imperfect storm.

25. By GaryC on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

all the more reason to draft rudolph and go to the double tightend set which most teams do not use on a regular basis.jets can’t afford the luxury of knowing what happens with holmes and edwards.jets will need to fortify the receiving corp and you know I am one who doesn’t believe in the loyalty of a holmes or edwards.

26. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

scjoe, the problem isn’t just the left-brain one of what to pay Holmes, it’s the right-brain one of whether paying a guy with his attitude anything on a long-term basis is a good move. He’s a great player but when you’re trying to build a team around a nucleus of young guys, you don’t need any Me Firsters. So I’d make the decision to pick a WR on the basis of whether we want SH at ANY price. The better move might be like when we picked Greene, i.e. get a young WR who won’t cost a fortune too quickly like the Giants did with Nicks. GaryC, there’s no longer any debate about SH’s loyalty to the Jets, he just said the other day that he doesn’t have any. It’s still mostly about building around Sanchez, Mangold, Brick, Revis, Greene, Keller, etc.

27. By scjoe on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

GaryC, I have to agree with the loyalty issue, or lack there of re: SH and BE, but the truth is, I really don’t care how loyal they are as long as they produce, if and when they are on the field. But I would say that a combination of J- Co, Moss, and either or BE & SH, maybe B Smith or a mid round rookie would be sufficient, for this year anyway.

28. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

I would pick up Moss only if we lose one of our big 4 S-H B-E J-CO and yes B- Smith we will lose more then a receiver if he go’s, so in my book he’s right there with these 3 ..I said early I would like to see the Jets pick up P-Taylor if he falls to #30..Or Wilkerson he looks like a gamer gets after the QB nice either will fit into Rex’s scheme in my opinion

29. By John on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

I really would like to get Phil Taylor and if taylor gone my second choice would be DE, Ryan Kerrigan I like both of these players over Muhammad Wilkerson. If the jets trade down or out of the 1st Rd and if Kerrigan and Quinn are both gone but Taylor still on the board I wouldn’t mind if the Jets trade down with Green Bay then GB, would take Taylor and I think the best thing for the Jets to do id take Safety Rahim Moore. Then I would try to trade up with the pick they got from GB, pick in the 2nd rd and hope to get DE, Christian Ballard, or OLB, Akeem Ayers, OLB, Justin Houston or just stay where there are and take DE, Ricky Elmore.

30. By Chicago Bob on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

I am not in favor of drafting more off. talent and seeing it wasted under Schotty – he has been given a quality OL, an outstanding WR corp, a TE that is not utilized properly, a solid backfield and a good QB and we still have trouble scoring TD’s. When you look at our starting D- linemen and compare it to the Ravens and the Steelers, it is amazing our defense can even compete with them – imagine how dominant our D can be by getting some DL that can actually collapse the pocket. Schotty has had enough toys to play with – there are plenty of teams in the NFL right now with less offensive talent that are doing better than the Jets – we need to take care of an aging DL and put some quality talent in the hands of coaches that know how to coach.

31. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Chicago Bob gets my Best Post of the Day Award. It won’t matter who we draft on O if we stick with Schotty and his insane play-calling much longer. That’s the real loyalty question, and Rex doesn’t have the guts to confront it, that’s already clear. He’d rather talk about running the ball all the time and predict Super Bowl victories before even making it to the game. MJV, of all the WRs discussed here, Smith is the only one who’s shown nothing at that position. Give it up already, he’s a kick returner, we need people who instill fear at WR. With SH acting stupid and BE’s status up in the air, the whole picture at WR changes drastically.