• Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conferences: Coordinators Dennis Thurman, Marty Mornhinweg and Thomas McGaughey will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 6:00 PM - 6:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 9:30 PM - 10:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 11:30 PM - 11:59 PM EDT Jets Post Game: Bears at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

Multiple Threat Cobb Among Today’s Visitors

Posted by Eric Allen on April 12, 2011 – 1:51 pm

The Jets are hosting college prospects again at their Atlantic Heath Training Center and today’s group includes the versatile Randall Cobb. A multidimensional performer at Kentucky, Cobb broke the SEC’s single-season record with 2,396 all-purpose yards last season.

In addition to Cobb’s arrival, the Jets also have brought in Abilene Christian WR Edmond “Clyde” Gates, Michigan TE Martell Webb and Hampton DT Kenrick Ellis for visits.

The only thing that slowed Gates recently was a hamstring injury during Senior Bowl week. He blazed to a 4.37 time in the 40-yard dash at the Indianapolis combine and was tremendously explosive as a senior with 66 catches, 1,182 yards and 13 receiving touchdowns. After attending Tyler JC, Gates made a successful transition to Abilene Christian and finished first in school annals in touchdown catches (27), second in receiving yards (2,885), third in catches (158) and fourth in scoring (194).

A four-year letterman at Michigan, the 6’4”, 256-pound Webb played in 38 career contests and made three starts at tight end. His career stats include nine receptions for 111 yards and two touchdowns. The Wolverines were a run-heavy offense under the since departed Rich Rodriguez.

After struggling with character issues at South Carolina, Ellis transferred to Hampton and took advantage of the lower-level competition. The 6’5”, 346-pounder totaled 94 tackles (34 solo), 15 tackles for loss and two sacks last season while earning All-MEAC first-team honors. He was also all-conference first-team in ’09 after he amassed 51 tackles, 15 for loss and 1.5 sacks.

“I had to look within myself and change a lot of things within myself and around me,” Ellis said at the combine. “And after I changed those things, it was pretty much easy after that. I had to realize that I had a problem, and I confronted it and overcame it.”

Cobb’s numbers were staggering last season when you consider he had 84 catches and seven receiving touchdowns, 424 yards on the ground and five scores, and another 955 yards returning punts and kicks. He has received comparisons to Hines Ward.

“I just want to be known as a football player,” Cobb said this year on ESPN.com. “I know I’m not the fastest guy. If you take me to the combine, I’m not going to have the best numbers across the board. But when you put me on the field, I think my talent would be at a level where I could overcome the speed and the strength of other guys.”

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 14 Comments »

14 Responses to “Multiple Threat Cobb Among Today’s Visitors”

1. By IRA on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

EA, Cobb would sure be a very interesting player to debate if he is on the board when they are getting ready to make a pick. I think he gets picked in the 3rd rd. Would love to hear the talks in the room when that could happen. I hate to say this but he could fill a spot they might possibly [i don't think so] lose in free agency when that opens up.

2. By scjoe on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Ellis is probably the only other feasible option at NT beside Taylor, but I doubt he will still be around in the 3rd rd. Not with the amount of teams going to the 3-4. I think that void in the 2nd round is going to be huge. Hopefully they trade down and obtain a #2 or a high #3. When all is said and done this draft is going to be one of the most critical we have had in a very long time, I hope T Rex is up to the challenge, because any misses in this draft will be disastrous.

3. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

Cobb’s self-confessed lack of speed makes me nervous, though, Ira. We saw what it was like having a real burner with Holmes this year and we need to keep going in that direction, not back to the bad old days.

4. By Tom Spicer on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

I would love to get Ellis with our 3rd round pick but I see him long gone by then. Having no 2nd round hurts it is really going to kill us if we do not resign Cromartie cause then we gace up 2 2nd round pick for a 1 year rental. Anyway this guy Ellis is a STUD.

5. By Jeff B. on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

If they can get this Cobb guy or that Ricardo Lockett guy I think either one would be a good pickup at 3rd round. Gonna have to draft a WR in the 3rd cause I got a feeling Jets will lose one or two to FA.

6. By uncle joe on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

scjoe,I could see Steelers grabbing Ellis at the end of round two as the furthest he could slip. Jets better not reach with this pick,just trade back. I think all teams should just bug the Steelers war room,they are one team that seems to never miss on talent!

7. By uncle joe on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Bruce Miller, Rick Elmore,,,,,late round sleepers at 3-4 OLB,PLEASE NO AKEEM AYERS, Watch his games on YOUTUBE,,soft,Soft,SOFT!!!

8. By uncle joe on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

With the 30th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft the New York Jets select,,,,Marvin Austin, Defensive Tackle, North Carolina.

9. By GaryC on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

to all you guys who have this Kendrick Ellis infatuation, why did he play at Hampton and not a major college.I will not be shocked if he gets past the second round.He played against morgan state, delaware state,north carolina A&T.Is that the tape we are looking at to say he will be a high draft pick.

10. By Tom Spicer on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Gary C, He was at a major college & had some problems so he had to leave. So he want to Hampton & dominated he had like 94 tackles for a DT which is a crazy number.

11. By GaryC on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

tom, remember Jacob Bender the offensive tackle out of Nicholls State,where is he now.

12. By scjoe on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

I can name you hundreds of guys over the years who played in small schools and went on to make it big in the NFL (where did Mark Gastineau play, how about Jason Taylor? Ducasse, Hunter, Purdam,Digs,DeVito etc. and that is just a few on the team we follow. Ellis has the size you need to play NT in the 3-4 and most teams today employ the 3-4, therefore he will not last through round 3. It is probably a moot point anyway, we will not take him in round 1 and he will not be there in round 3. The only other option I see is the kid out of Ol Mis, Powe, 6’2 340, but read his bio!

13. By GaryC on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

scjoe, taylor came from the mac conference like big ben,which are a lot bigger than the meac where ellis played,of course players from small conferences can make it. Look at the early afl, they got a lot of players from the black colleges, grambling, texas southern, jackson state.I am saying just because a guy is over 350 pounds isn’t going to make him the next ngata.

14. By scjoe on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

You are right Gary, there are no guarantees in the draft, it don’t really matter where a prospect played, what kind of numbers he put up in college, or where he is drafted, it is still a roll of the dice. But in the case of a NT in a 3-4 alignment a big body is the first prerequisite, he has to tie up two blockers on almost every snap, if he has unique athletic ability so much the better, but it can be done without unique athletic ability. I don’t know where a guy like Ellis will fit into that equation, but I think that if we had a #2 in this draft and he were still there, it would be a no brainer.