3,500 Rock On at Jets Draft Day Party

Posted by Randy Lange on April 28, 2011 – 10:19 pm

As the wild, unpredictable first round of the 2011 NFL Draft unfolds on the enormous videoboards in each corner of New Meadowlands Stadium, one thing can be said definitively: A good time is being had by all who are attending the Jets’ annual Draft Day Party.

The party continues for Green & White fans on the east side of their team’s one-year-old home, with a crowd of 3,500 coming out into the stands onto the turf where their heroes perform during the season on Sunday afternoons and, increasingly, on selected Sunday and Monday nights.

“This is great, what the Jets do for families here,” said Rich, a father from nearby Secaucus whose children took part in an “NFL Combine” featuring a 40-yard dash, broad jump and field goal kick among the Jets Fest inflatables. “My kids had a great time playing on the same field Darrelle Revis plays on.”

The North Jersey weather, which was as turbulent earlier in the day as the first round is tonight, has also been agreeable. After tornado warnings and heavy storms throughout the day, the clouds departed in time for the fans to enter the stadium. Tonight it’s been humid but winds have been helping to keep things enjoyable.

The party, presented by the New York Daily News, Pepsi Max, Toyota and Verizon, had several other attractions. Bob Wischusen, the radio voice of the Jets, hosted a predraft program live on ESPN 1050 from 7-8 p.m. on the Bud Light Stage with Greg Buttle. Buttle was joined by fellow Jets alumni Wesley Walker, Bruce Harper and Bobby Jackson, all of whom spent time with the partygoers, signing autographs and posing for photos.

Jets owner Woody Johnson also was on hand early to great the early arrivers before departing for the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center, where he joined GM Mike Tannenbaum, head coach before coming to the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center for the Jets’ pick, around 8:30, was at the stadium with fans at the party.

“The party was terrific,” said Wischusen. “The different experiences Jets fans were able to enjoy made it completely different than years past, and that’s what the stadium offers. In addition to eating, drinking and watching the draft, families can go on the field, play on the inflatables and go in the Jets locker room. There’s so much more to do. I think people really enjoyed it.”

Rex’s Book Signing Itinerary

Following are the dates, times and bookstores at which fans can have a copy of Rex Ryan’s new book, “Play Like You Mean It: Passion, Laughs, and Leadership in the World’s Most Beautiful Game,” signed by the Jets head coach next week:

Tuesday, May 3, noon-2 p.m.

Barnes & Noble, 555 Fifth Ave. at 46th St., New York, NY 10017. Phone: 212-697-3048

Wednesday, May 4, 7-9 p.m.

Book Revue, 313 New York Ave, Huntington, NY 11743. Phone: 631-271-1442

Thursday, May 5, 7-9 p.m.

Mendham Books, 84 East Main St., Mendham, NJ 07945. Phone: 973-543-4949

Tags: , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “3,500 Rock On at Jets Draft Day Party”

1. By GaryC on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

like I said the only guy I would take over rudolph would be wilkerson so this pick does make me happy, better than taylor,ayers,reed.cameron heyward.

2. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

My man Arte was vamping on the phone to me on Reed and we were also thinking about Houston, but overall we’re cool with Wilkerson. It’s been FOREVER since we picked a big DL guy who can move, stuff up the middle, and get behind the line and MW looks like he can do all that. Picking him also seems to mean we’re gonna quit dreaming about Jenkins coming back. I’m glad we didn’t take Heyward who, I don’t care what you say, Randy, sounds like he has a lot of the liabilities that VG had. I also like that MW is almost 30 lbs bigger than Jordan. We still have picks left for OLB and S. If free agency works the same, Mr. T can go all out to get SH (if he really wants to be a Jet), BE, and J-Co, then Ducasse, Wilson, McK, and Conner have to step up!

3. By Randy Lange on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Tom, I don’t recall saying anything about Heyward, other than on our Web show tonight saying he has great lineage considering his father, Craig “Ironhead” Heyward.

4. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I’m with you on Wilkerson for another reason, GaryC — I never liked this talk about Taylor’s foot problem. With the glaring needs the Jets have on D, they shouldn’t even be thinking about taking any guy who’s not 110% physically. We may have to trade up to get Reed but he’s not the only OLB worth taking and then there’s Moore and a few others at S. There are plenty of WRs with size and speed this yr so if we want to take a shot on one of those at #6 or #7 it won’t hurt us. But I like that we got the DT/NT question out of the way and now can make the most of our other picks. Still would like to get a #2 but not if it costs too much. Also still like Row’s idea of picking a K or P, or maybe 2011 is the yr Conley beats out Weatherford at last.

5. By scjoe on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

This one took me by surprise, I never thought Wilkerson would still be there at 30. It is a solid pick at a need position. Now, if Ellis or even Powe were to be there at the end of round three it would already be a very successful draft. If they are not, I hope they put a call out to Jenkins for one more shot at it, then go OLB or safety in the 3rd round. I think we will see Ayers or Austin go to NE to start rd 2 tomorrow, can’t rule out Paea out of Oregon State either.

6. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Sorry, Randy, maybe it was Eric or one of the other guys, or maybe it was in a mock from somewhere else that you reprinted. But I thought one of the pieces on the site recently included the line, “Don’t worry, Heyward isn’t another Vernon Gholston.” The very idea that such a thought would ever even cross anyone’s mind is enough to make me happy that we didn’t pick him.

7. By Randy Lange on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Tom, Real Football Services, our independent personnel contributors, selected Cameron Heyward for the Jets in their most recent mock draft.

8. By Arte Old School Section 327 on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I must say.. With Mohamad Wilkerson AND Marcus Dixon in the mix next year.. It certainly looks like the Jets Defense will be back on top as the #1 D in the league. LOVE IT!! Can’t wait to see what other gems we get with our next five picks.. Best player available.. Wilkerson is a load.. Bring it on Tom Brady.. You’re going down!!!