• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets Coordinators Thomas McGaughey, Marty Mornhinweg, Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

Jets Trade Up in Round 5, Take WR Kerley

Posted by Randy Lange on April 30, 2011 – 2:50 pm

Trader Mike Tannenbaum spent three of the Jets’ first four picks of this draft exactly where they fell. But he couldn’t resist making a move in the middle of Round 5. And so in a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles, the Jets moved up to the 22nd pick of the round and No. 153 overall and have just selected TCU wide receiver Jeremy Kerley.

NFL.com reports the trade involved the Jets and Eagles swapping fifth-round selections, the Birds picking up the Jets’ sixth-rounder (No. 194) and the Jets getting Philly’s seventh-rounder in a trade with Seattle. The Jets thus have two more picks left in this draft, both in Round 7, No. 208 from Arizona to complete the Kerry Rhodes trade to Arizona and No. 227 from the Seahawks via the Eagles.

The maneuvering on the Jets’ part was to snag Kerley (5’10”, 189), who has been described as a raw route runner and shifty receiver who has a knack for making defenders miss in the open field.

“It feels great. It’s a great weight lifted off my shoulders,” Kerley said of being drafted by the Jets. “I’m ready to be a student of the game and ready to just take whatever criticism they have to give me.”

Kerley said he showed some of his moves to offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who he said came to TCU to observe his pro day.

“I had a great workout for the Jets when they came down and worked me out,” he said. “Ever since then I’ve thought in the back of my mind, ‘Maybe, somewhere down that line, it could be.’ I’m just glad it was today.”

Kerley put up some nice receiving and all-purpose yardage numbers for the Horned Frogs. For his career he had 120 receptions, mainly out of the slot, for 1,299 yards and 12 touchdowns. He also carried 63 times for 306 yards and eight TDs, and added 1,299 yards with two TDs on 94 punt returns and 1,006 yards on 37 kickoff returns.

His return prowess enabled him to become the first non-kicker to earn Mountain West Conference Special Teams Player of the Year honors in 2009, an honor that he duplicated after last season.

“I’m definitely a special-teams guy,” Kerley said. “I know that my special-teams duty is definitely what makes me the player I am.”

A Pick That Has Made the Rounds

Interesting story about that 194th overall pick that the Jets traded to the Eagles. Philadelphia has just traded it to New England for the Patriots’ 193rd pick. Thus the Pats and Eagles extend their streak of trading at least one time to 12 consecutive drafts, since 2000. And the Patriots now have a pick that started out the day as the Jets’ pick.

Tags: , ,

39 Responses to “Jets Trade Up in Round 5, Take WR Kerley”

1. By Alex on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Jets have 2 seventh rounders left, the Eagles also traded their seventh

2. By matt on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Kerley is the guy I had the Jets taking in the 5th. Great returner and good slot receiver-very elusive.That could be it for B. Smith.

3. By GaryC on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I thought dwayne harris of east carolina,but kerley is same type of receiver, slot guy with quickness who also will return punts and be the jets wes welker. both kerley and welker came out of the big twelve, welker texas tech, kerley, tcu.so far only pick I question is ellis,needs to prove he has grown up.

4. By Kai on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Not sure about any of you guys… but so far, im satisfied with our draft picks this year. Thesepicks might not be able to help us right away, but they most definetly will down the road.

Wouldn’t mind getting a safety next though. :)

5. By IRA on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

oh that tricky Trader Mike. He couldn’t resist and maybe [i hate to say this] they found a replacement for Mizzou if they lose him in free agency. Looks like Kerley is a big time return man and special teams player. My gut says Westhoff had a lot to do with this pick.
    Also we all thought they would get a pass rusher. Well guess what they didn’t. So two things or both are probable. They will sign an OLB once free agency starts and or bring back J. Taylor.

6. By scionce on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

why pick a projected slot receiver who’s with a tendency to run sloppy routes? isn’t that almost oxymoronic? a sloppy route running slot receiver? this is counterproductive…

7. By jeremy on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

i think we should of kept jenkins, so we didnt have the need to draft hampton. and trade up to get rahim moore, to be our ed reed. Moore, Revis,Cromartie,Leonhard can cause damage.

8. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I understand the Brad Smith comparison but I see two other things going on with Kerley: One, him as the next slot guy if J-Co keeps getting injured or otherwise slows down. Two, Kerley sounds a lot like Percy Harvin with these all-purpose numbers on O and ST, and that’s something we could use too, especially if McKnight and Wilson are supposed to spend more of their time at their positions. That said, I don’t really get picking two O guys instead of an OLB and S. It irks me that Acho and Black were available so late and we didn’t get either of them. I don’t know that we’re so deep on D that we can afford this, although I suppose anything that reminds Rex and Schotty that you win games by scoring TDs can never be a bad thing.

9. By matt on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Steelers couldn’t let another round go by without taking a good pass-rushing OLB. There has to be more to the Carter story.

10. By Kevin on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I was hoping for Dwayne Harris in round 5 as well….hopefully, Kerley can bring the same talent. Look for Jets to take Deunta Williams in round 7.

11. By matt on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Kerley doesn’t run sloppy patterns. He does run shorter patterns, which is fine for the slot.

I’m in for Deunta Williams in the 7th. and I’ll take Herzlich too.

12. By Frankie on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I like all of our picks so far except the running back..nothing against him he seems like he will be a good fit but i don’t see the need of having 4 running backs and conner unless they keep the new guy on the practice squad..otherwise that takes a spot away on our roster…would have rather seen an OLB/safety. however we needed another receiver. i still hope/think we will keep Brad S. we need him but need another receiver too. when JCo got injured we had to pick up Coles..this way he have another guy.. we need at least 5 receivers on our roster..overall great job Jets

13. By dougmc on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Take Hertzlich if he’s there at 208 or move to get him or best Safety…

14. By Row on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

This guy was an insurance pick. Kerley isn’t a game changer or a playmaker. I guess the best guy available. I was looking for a linebacker here, a motivated high motor guy who maybe wasn’t ideal size.. We will see if he even makes the team. Go Jets

15. By chris on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I really hope the Jets get a linebacker in round 7. JT is a legend, but he’s not what he used to be. We need youth and agility on that front 7. Please Jets address this issue.

16. By matt on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Right, that’s why they flew 2 coaches to TCU to check him out.

17. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

My guess is you’re just upset that this could be the end of Smith as a Jet, Row, which might be okay if Kerley really has the Harvin-like qualities that I’m talking about. Might also mean the end of the Wildcat nonsense, of course, which shoulda been over and done with two yrs ago, i.e. when we got Sanchez. (Sorry, guys, had to say it.) Another thing, Row, is that we took Kerley over some other pretty well-rated WRs, so I wonder if this is more diamond-in-the-rough thinking a la Greene. And if this means we keep Holmes and Edwards and let McKnight, Wilson, and Cromartie stick to their positions and leave kick returns mostly to Kerley for his first few yrs, I can’t complain about that.

18. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Does not picking a S mean that we’re gonna move Cromartie to that position? That we’re gonna trade for one? That we think the problem isn’t really the DBs but the lack of pass rush and a few suspect LBs who aren’t helping out on pass coverage? That they’re higher on Westerman, who was basically out all of last yr, than we know? I have to admit these charges against Ellis are really hard to believe — not that he defended himself, but that he could get jail time. But it seems impossible that the Jets could even work out such a guy if they didn’t have a strong sense that the charges are going to be dropped.

19. By Tom Spicer on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I would have went pass rushing OLB in the 4th & then Saftey in the 5th. We have a bunch of backs & goo WR’S & return man. Does this mean LT is gone? Does this mean Braylon or Brad Smith are gone?

20. By Jimmer on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

2 picks left, please no more guys on offense! We need speed on defense!

21. By matt on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

7th round possibility-Utah center Zane Taylor (6-3, 310)

22. By scjoe on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

such a promising draft on day one and two turned out not so great after all. I know you really can’t rate a draft for at least a couple of years, but a 6’2″ QB with no arm strength early in rd #7?? a 5’9″ WR in rd 5 which we also gave up an extra pick for??? I would rather have seen the best available kicker or punter at those spots, at least there would have been a chance they make the roster at a position of need, not to mention any available OLBs or safety’s that could have competed.

23. By GaryC on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

just got the word jets drafted mcelroy from alabama,this is great, this guy is high character, just listen to him, he will make sanchez a better quarterback seeing that this guy will be looking to take his job. goodbye brunnell and clemens.the lineage continues, namath,todd, mcelroy.this is a little side speak.Dont be surprised if jets go after barrett ruud when free agency starts, believe he played for callahan at nebraska.

24. By Paul on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

sadly a poor draft for offensive lineman, but I expected the Jets to draft one middle rounds. First two picks impressed me, both met needs, but not quite meeting the pass rush situation. QB was a great pick, Jets get a long term backup for Sanchez! I was shocked at the RB pick, thought we were set there for a bit. Jets still need a safety, pass rusher, and linebacking speed. I hope they might be able to adress those needs through free agency or it may be a long season ahead. Overall I think a rather lack luster draft overall.

25. By Arte Old School Section 327 on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

The ONLY reason we didn’t beat Pittsburgh last year was because we couldn’t score. I blamed Schotty all year long for bad play calling but just realized “You know what??” Mark Sanchez had the rock in his hands. All of these draft picks benefit our team.. All of them Powell is a bowling ball that did not fumble once in his entire career!! McNight and Sanchez are old buddies.. And Kerley is a stud!! The historical pick in this draft was McElroy.. After Namath and Todd, this kid is going to retire a Jet.. Just watch. He’s a winner!! Unbelievable character and head. He’s had all the spot light pressure, he’s been to the dance and all he does is win! All in all I’m ecstatic once again.. Great job! I do believe the Same Old Jets are history!

26. By Arte Old School Section 327 on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

And just so all of you know.. Defense is not our problem.. We’ll be #1 in D this year.. We simply need to hold on to ball on offense and put points up on the board..
    Ground and Pound all day baby.. Let the clock tick.. Our defense is going to be historically good! Like legendary!! Don’t worry about anything, boys and girls.
    No one will want to play us.. As much as Rex is Rex, you gotta love this draft! And another thing.. how happy am I to know that New York is going to be lit up for years to come.. The Green Empire Strikes Back!! We’re on our way!! See ya in September.. Or whenever the light turns GREEN!! Confident Mr. T has all of his ducks in a row.. Have no fear JET NATION.. The Dynasty is here :-)

27. By Play like a JET on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

I’m very happy with the draft this year. I hope these to young big men can be disruptive enough that the ends, get to the QB ealry and often.

Love the quote from Wilkerson about being destructive in front of his friends and family.

Play like a JET!

28. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

scjoe, WATCH MCELROY’S HIGHLIGHT REEL! He throws so much better, stronger, deeper, and more accurately than Sanchez did in college it’s a joke! And he runs better and with no bum knee. This guy is no backup, folks, he’s the guy who takes over for MS in a couple yrs if the latter doesn’t pan out. Like Arte says, Rex and Schotty have to be freaked at the lack of pts on O. And like I say, it’s not a 5-yr-QB NFL anymore, more like 2 yrs. If MS doesn’t completely evolve into a guy who can score TDs in the 1ST qtr and half this yr., watch the Jets give McElroy a shot at the job in ’12. One thing we know about Rex, he doesn’t hold onto fan favorites just for old times’ sake, not TJ, Leon, or anyone else. More on that in a minute re why these WRs.

29. By Westcoast GangGreen on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Jet Nation the draft started strong , still wish they would have drafted a outside LB / Safety… Give the overall draft a solid B grade.. Still freeagency to come????? Still think our management team is no where near done… Randy were you at the RCMH? If so, how loud was the booing of Godell, his face on TV , he looked uncomfortable upset and very hurt..?

30. By Randy Lange on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

Westcoast, I did not go in to the city and to Radio City Music Hall. I was posted up at the AHJTC for the whole draft.

31. By Jimmer on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

ARTE, 2 points, and they are close to being 1.
    1st, Pitt beat us cause we couldn’t tackle in the 1st half, and Rex has stated such. Also, Sanchez is here for good.
    2nd, our LB’s are getting old and slow. We can’t cover a TE unless we put Revis or Cromartie on one, and we can’t stop the run when we do try and cover a TE.
    Is last season coming back yet?
    Our safeties are too short. Someone mentioned on another post about Cromartie to safety, LOL, LOL, LOL!!!! He doesn’t tackle.
    I pray tanny has something up his sleave for these issues, cause we ignored them in the draft.

32. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Apr 30, 2011 | Reply

One of the somebodies who’s mentioned Cro to S was me, Jimmer, and not only am I not the only one, I believe our esteemed colleague Ira is in that number. With too-small Leonhard coming off an injury, Poole and Smith iffy, and Lowery only starting to explore S, I have to conclude that the brass didn’t see a game-changer at S this yr and will look elsewhere for it. As for Sanchez being here for good, I think that’ll hold true as long as he keeps getting better, but he may have to step it up. 3 or 4 years at QB is as long as anybody gets to really shine and there’s no way he’ll be guaranteed the job in ’12 if he can’t start scoring more pts in the 1st half. That goes double if he loses a couple of the great WRs we have now.

33. By GaryC on May 1, 2011 | Reply

I am also a proponet of moving cromartie to safety which I have detailed before,the guys best trait is his ball skills and at free safety he can be far from line of scrimmage where his tackling leads a lot to be desired.depending on if it is poole or leonhard at strong safety cromartie needs to be at free and we get to see if wilson is a legit number one.

34. By russ on May 1, 2011 | Reply

He’ll be the gunner we need on Spec Teams good pick

35. By salvatore on May 1, 2011 | Reply

also to all jet fans….after the patriot stomping last year in THEIR STADIUM, the times have now CHANGED …FINALLY…..now , we don’t have to worry what belechik and the pats are doing on draft day THEY have to worry about what the JETS are doing on draft day…PERIOD!!!!!!

36. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 1, 2011 | Reply

Good points not only on Cro, GaryC, but also on the need to find out if Wilson can play. We didn’t pick him #1 to sort-of return punts. Spicer, LT is definitely on thin ice. I know Rex’s denial voice when I hear it and he was speaking in it about LT from about the 8th game on. This is the yr we find out if Greene can really become a 1,000-yd+ workhorse so getting McKnight and Powell into the mix at RB makes sense. Spicer, BE may or may not be suspended or gone and as I’ve been annoying Row and MJV with for yrs, Smith is a weak WR, they didn’t pick two WRs because they’re up for giving him more chances at the position. I’ve also been saying KRs aren’t that hard to get plus Kerley also returns punts, which Leonhard shouldn’t be doing anymore.

37. By TONY GARCIA on May 1, 2011 | Reply

liked our draft picks,was hoping for pass rushing linebacker maybe free agency.other than that good football players.

38. By Row on May 5, 2011 | Reply

First off, this guy basically ran a 4.6. NFL linebackers are that fast. Second, the difference between a first round wide receiver and the rest of the draft is HUGE. Just an insurance pick. As for McElroy, he was a situation pick, a steal in the seventh. No chance for competing, maybe a third QB. Sanchez has drastically underperformed for a first rounder and branches his success on the TEAMS wins. This is the year we will see he is way overpayed, unless Powell shows he’s the next AP like I think.

39. By Hutto Hippo fan on Oct 7, 2011 | Reply

I watched Jeremy Kerley all through his school years. What do you think of the tough Texan now?