• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 10:30 AM - 11:05 AM EST Live Jets Talk LIVE

Ring of Honor Inductee Wayne Chrebet will address the media in a Press Conference, immediately followed by Jets Talk LIVE. Former QB Chad Pennington and Adam Beasley from the Miami Herald will join us to talk about the Week 13 Monday Night matchup. Fans can call in at 855-909-5483 or tweet your questions to @eallenjets.

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:15 PM EST Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show co-hosted by Jeane Coakley and Brian Custer with analysts Ray Lucas and Erik Coleman, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EST Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 3:30 PM EST Live Coordinators Press Conference Jets Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey, Offensive Coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and Defensive Coordinator Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Casserly’s NFL Tour Drops In on the Jets

Posted by Randy Lange on May 20, 2011 – 9:31 am

If this is May, it may be time for the Charley Casserly spring tour. And in fact the NFL analyst for CBS, who also has been a contributor to NFL Network’s draft coverage, was at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center on Wednesday, doing what he does at this time of year, which is to visit the league’s current GMs, HCs and the teams they run.

I caught up with Charlie after he spent some quality time with Mike Tannenbaum, just to renew acquaintances with the courteous, professorial commentator (who, on a side note, was born in River Edge, N.J., not far from Bill Parcells’ high school stomping grounds, and used to deliver the Bergen County, N.J., daily newspaper that I once worked for long before I got there).

My main idea was to find out what he liked in the T/Rex operation. It turns out he likes the Jets a lot.

“When I look at this team, I think you see two very aggressive personalities in Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan, and I think that’s why they’ve been successful,” Casserly said. “Mike’s been aggressive going after players, whether it’s in the draft or free agency. Rex has the infectious enthusiasm and leadership, and he has a brilliant defensive mind, no question about it.

“Good teams have an identity, and this team’s identity is they want to run the ball and they want to be aggressive on defense. And they’re built that way.”

Charley sees a lot of other things to admire about the Green & White:

Mark Sanchez — “He’s done a good job for them here. If you’re the Jets, you’re happy with having Mark because every time he goes out there, you think you’ve got a chance to win. He only had one year in college as a starter so he had room to improve, he has improved and he’ll continue to improve.”

Top draft picks Muhammad Wilkerson and Kenrick Ellis — “They got the best player available in Round 1, which is the smart move. And they took two defensive linemen. You can’t have enough good, young defensive linemen because if you can stop the run, they’ll find a way to rush the passer here.”

Fourth-round RB Bilal Powell — “I thought he was the best fourth-round pick in the draft. I really like this guy — a lot.”

More Ryan — “I think he’s learned a few things along the way about being more judicious about certain things he says. But Rex is a smart guy. When he says something, there’s a plan there. This isn’t a shoot-off-the-mouth thing, which is sometimes portrayed in the media. This is a smart guy with a purpose to what he says.”

The Jets’ chances ahead — “I have confidence they’ll come out of this offseason in good shape for a couple of reasons. One, I don’t think anyone questions whether the Jets will spend. And I can’t imagine, as a player, why you wouldn’t want to play here. You’ve got a coach that you love playing for, and you’ve got a team that’s going to contend for the championship.”

The Jets stop was part of the spring tour for Casserly, the former Redskins and Texans GM, who since 2007 has visited all NFL teams, with 10 to 12 of his stops coming in the spring months. This year’s offseason schedule has been different for sure, but as Charley said before moving on to a visit with Schottenheimer in another part of the building, “I was a scout, so this is nothing. The difference between what I’m doing now and scouting is the thunderstorms.”

Tags: , , , , , , ,

70 Responses to “Casserly’s NFL Tour Drops In on the Jets”

1. By Tom Spicer on May 20, 2011 | Reply

I always liked Casserly he tells it like it is & he make the right choice not the popular one. The guy knows what he is talking about. I remember when he was the GM of the Texans he was under BIG TIME pressure to take Reggie Bush & he did what he thought was best for the team. He took Mario Williams & did not worry about what everyone else thought. He wound up to be right Mario Williams is a stud & Reggie Bush wound up to be no more than a change of pace back. I also love what he says above about Mark, Wilkerson, Ellis & Powell

2. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 20, 2011 | Reply

I wish this former GM had executive power over the Jets — and as such could pay a visit to Schotty’s office delivering the long-overdue pink slip that would remove him from the building entirely.

3. By 38 year fan on May 20, 2011 | Reply

Randy, I agree with Casserly ..I think this years draft was excellent for us …We got the help on defense we needed …I am feeling that this year , is the year , we finally get to the mountain top ……We got to find the way to keep our crew together ..Also on a side note Plaxico would be some great size out there on the fly routes ….

4. By wayne on May 20, 2011 | Reply

Totally disagree with the opinion that Rex always thought of the consequences before opening his trap. I’m sure he had a plan whenever he open his mouth, I question the thought process. I do agree he appears to have learned a few things along the way….There is more for him to learn. If bulletin board material is inconsequential, then a lota people in a lota industries have wasted a lota time on it….Hope he’s right on the Powell pick…….Not a MS fan, but I said it before and I’ll say it again, Jets can win a SB with this kid…..He needs to stop showing up late for work…Figure out why you start clicking in 2nd half of games, and FIX IT!!! Totally agree, can’t have enough good DLs they cover whole bunch of ills….same for the OL.

5. By IRA on May 20, 2011 | Reply

Randy, I think Casserly is one of the better football minds around. I wasn’t happy that he drafted M Williams but it showed he had the same smarts as Mr T to take the meat and potatoes type of player instead of going after the flashy Bush, Young and Leinhart. We all know how Brick and Williams have turned out. I have the same feel about Powell that he does. I think there is a lot of potential there. Did he make any comments on Kerley?

6. By Randy Lange on May 20, 2011 | Reply

Ira, I didn’t go through all the draft picks with Charley. He mentioned the top three only.

7. By IRA on May 20, 2011 | Reply

Also glad to read those remarks about Sanchez. Maybe now some of the Radar people will feel better about Mark. I still don’t understand how anybody can be down on him.
    GO JETS!!!!

8. By wayne on May 20, 2011 | Reply

The Jets got better this off season without a doubt. All the talk of drafting WRs and Safeties made absolutely no sense. Dominate the line of scrimmage…….With all their picks, Belichick has done what he’s always done, outside of his spygate years and when he was a coordinator, underachieved. Their draft is suspect…Mr. Casserly agrees with my expectation that Jets will get best of veteran and rookie FAs at positions of need. THOSE POSITIONS ARE NOT IN THE SECONDARY……………………This is the year the Jets take the division……….Wait a minute, whoa whoa whoa there cowboy. we’re jumping ahead a little bit. Is there going to be a season? The way everybody is whining for football, you’d think 4 games have already been lost.

9. By Tom Spicer on May 20, 2011 | Reply

Wayne, Mark showing up late for work? Not sure where you got that one everything that comes out of Jet camp says he is a gym rat & he is the 1st one to practice & the last one to leave practice?

10. By IRA on May 20, 2011 | Reply

wayne, What are you talking about? They drafted 2 WR’s and both are going to be on the roster with Kerley playing a big role in ST’s and probably the #4 WR. AS for safety i think Pool finished strong and will re-sign. Still think they sign Lefeged as a UDFA.
    I totally agree with you about the Pats draft and the Jets did get better and should win the division. They are the better all around team on both sides of the ball. Westerman is going to get his chance to show he can play. My only major concern is the RT spot as of today. I have a hunch that will change by opening day.
    GO JETS!!!!!

11. By Bob Kole on May 20, 2011 | Reply

Tom,

reference to late to work meaning he is better in the second half than the first half. I.E late to work.

12. By Arte Olde School Section 327 on May 20, 2011 | Reply

I love it Randy! I should have thought of that.. The T-REX Operation!! Yes! Have never been so excited for a season, and confidentially so, with no where to go :-( This season is in jeopardy folks.. Of course eventually we’ll get back to play, BUT WHEN? Am also sure we’ll be fine. Everyone is struggling.. Greed, money, and ego’s.. that’s all.. There’s enough to go around so let’s just eat it and move on. Check out the video on Powell and what he’s been through.. Can you say stud with heart!!! I remember on draft day they showed the Jet BrainTrust slapping high-fives very happy after drafting him.. Love what McKnight said as it applies to everyone on this team. “I’m ****ed off and motivated at the same time.” Go JETS!!

13. By the real t.o. on May 21, 2011 | Reply

i think what waynes sayin is that sanchez needs to start stronger then he has. we need to stop playing like jets after halftime BUT PLAY LIKE JETS FROM THE FIRST KICKOFF TO THE END OF THE GAME! no doubt sanchez outshined roethlisberger in the AFC game. everything else just collapsed when we forgot how to tackle…i feel wilkerson and ellis(if he stays out of jail) will be unbelievable beasts on d and powell looks like a great rb. our draft was very productive to say the least….kerleys the new BS and mcknight may be extra chemistry for sanchez. mcelroy looks like a far superior backup to clemens but I dont wanna lose brunell just yet tho. he helped sanchez grow alot! GO GANG GREEN!!! THIS IS OUR YEAR!

14. By Jimmer on May 21, 2011 | Reply

Wayne, forget F/A’s, we were in the final 4 again and we gotta lose one to sign one. Unless the rich vs. filthy rich thing goes away.
    64 Tom, ease up on Shotty already. When Sanchez is throwing ducks, it’s the qb’s fault.When he’s on his game, we light up the scoreboard. It’s too easy to point a finger at the OC. Shotty is also under the same constaints he had under Mangini. Being pass happy is just not allowed.

15. By Jimmer on May 21, 2011 | Reply

Ira, I said after last years draft that Vlad will replace Woody. I’m sticking to that. I have no concerns anywhere on the OL. RB and CB are the only other areas I have no concerns at. Lefeged, I completely agree, if and when we’re allowed to even speak with him.
    My biggest concern is at LB. Alot of people are talking up Westerman, and he has shown flashes. But, like the rest of the LB core, there is a lack of speed, and, in 1 on 1 coverage, can only cover a granny with a walker. Harris is the best of the bunch, but even he got run down by a guy much larger and older.
    Safety is a concern, but nothing like LB’s.

16. By Row on May 21, 2011 | Reply

The Jets found run stoppers and people movers so we can utilize the linebackers that were basically underachieving with LB’s at the end positions. There will still be trouble guarding TE’s and slot guys, but I think the pass rush will be better. Kerley is probably a guy that doesn’t dress much. I see him bunched in the log jam of WR’s that are trying to get on the Jets. Best case scenario with him is if Holmes is gone and Braylon misses time.. Good luck to all the draftees though. I can’t wait to see McElroy throw. Go Jets

17. By fred on May 21, 2011 | Reply

Tom, my guess is that Wayne wonders why it takes MS the 2nd half of most games to get going & not that he is late or lazy about studying the game plan ect. I would love to see this kid take a big step this yr by getting that comp % to 60 at least & score more red zone TD”s he does that we are going to have a special year.

18. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 21, 2011 | Reply

Beg to differ, Jimmer, but being pass-happy is how most teams are winning these days. Rex’s ground and pound talk is pure stone age and nobody’s winning with it, not even the Jets when it counts. ‘Course, that has to do with his NOT DOING IT when it counts, like at the goal line, but that gets back to Schotty. And getting back to Schotty gets back to his mediocre track record on pts scored, passing yds, and all that other stuff since 2006 that many folks have cited here. The fact is if the team wasn’t in New York and didn’t have Rex’s big mouth at its service, folks would merely be talking about an improved team, not making SB predictions. To win the SB you gotta score in the 1st half and that goes for the whole O — but Schotty runs the O.

19. By IRA on May 21, 2011 | Reply

Jimmer,
    I thought the same about Ducasse too before camp and the preseason last year. I just don’t see how he can be ready to play without getting in work this spring. Agree about the LB speed and coverage. I want to see Mauga and Westerman. While i want them to add some safety help i am not really too concerned as long as they can bring back Smith, Pool and Digs. And lets not forget about Cook who showed some promise on ST’s last year.

20. By wayne on May 21, 2011 | Reply

Ira, do you really believe that either one of these receivers are going to be able to step in and replace Edwards….REALLY? You’re not guaranteed nowadays that No. 1s can step in a do the job. You’re telling me you expect these late round kids are gonna walk in and replace Edwards?…….Not happening: Start considering Ochocinco, Plax or Moss. A big name vet.The New York football jets are not going out like that…..Jimmer you’re right………Fred that’s exactly what I mean.

21. By wayne on May 22, 2011 | Reply

Jimmer, that means nothing. That final 4 deal might mean something in a normal year. This is not a normal year. Add to that the Jets have more FAs than anyone else. They will not keep them all. They will have ample oppty to make pickups.Addtnlly, time frame is extremely compressed so FAs will go fast so where they would in a typical year have to wait for what’s left, that will not be the case this year. There will be no long drawn out event here. Jets say they want to keep them all, that’s a lie. They’ve covered themselves at wideout,where they expect loses, so the the area of greatest need is LB. If there are top guys available in this area, the NY football Jets will be the first destinations. Final 4 or not,can’t stand pat. Wink, wink Ira

22. By GaryC on May 22, 2011 | Reply

I made this comment one other time and got lambasted, if this strike continues do not be surprised if Slauson plays right tackle this year and Ducasse goes to left guard.Ducasse is not getting the reps with the ongoing strike,Slauson played tackle at Nebraska.at this stage cannot see Ducasse lining up against pass rushing defensive ends.

23. By matt on May 22, 2011 | Reply

Even with the great job Callahan has done with Ducasse, he is at least a year away from playing, IMO. Woody needs to be re-signed.

24. By fred on May 22, 2011 | Reply

I think this Kerley kid will absolutely be on the active roster as Brad Smith replacement whose money will most likely go to SH. Sanchez’s buddy McNight has practice squad written all over him – they will sign a veteran WR if they do not sign BE

25. By IRA on May 22, 2011 | Reply

Wayne,
    I said Kerley will have a role on ST’s and probably will be the #4 WR. He is a slot guy and can’t replace Edwards and all the talk about Plax, Moss, TO and Ocho it doesn’t matter. None of them can replace what Edwards did for the Jets last year. And please don’t just look at stats. Does anybody really think any those players can block the way Edwards did for the running game? They can’t and they will have a hard time finding one. And how about all those balls over the middle Edwards caught and took big hits? Except for Plax Moss,TO and Ocho are not going to want to takes those hits.

26. By Tom Spicer on May 22, 2011 | Reply

In a recent post I put up what I think Marks stats will be next year. I do not think I was making projections I am saying worst case this is what he is going to do or better next year. I just wanted to touch on some QBS & what they have done in year 3 the year QB’S are supposed to “GET IT” 1 Rivers completion % up 5 percent, yards up 900, TD’S up 13, picks down 4 & rating up 22% 2 Ryan completion % up 4 percent, yards up 800, TD’S up 6, picks down 5 & rating up 11% 3 Cassel completion % up 3 percent, yards up 200, TD’S up 11, picks down 9 & rating up 24% 4 Brees completion % up 8 percent, yards up 1000, TD’S up 16, picks down 8 & rating up 37 percent. Next year for Mark with me taking the low end of all of the above numbers he will have

27. By Tom Spicer on May 22, 2011 | Reply

57% percent completion up only 2%, 3,700 yards up 400 yards but he did not play in the final game he would have had at least 200 in that game so really only up 200. 25 TD’S & rating up 10% to 85%.

28. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 22, 2011 | Reply

I like your defense of Edwards, Ira, as it highlights that on SB-winning teams, or even SB-contending teams, it’s not unusual and in fact is almost obligatory to have at least 2 and sometimes 3 great WRs. Look at GB and PIT last yr, NO and IND the year before, and Warner’s ARI. Some Jet fans are so used to settling for overrated loudmouths like Keyshawn or underwhelming pairings like J-Co and an over-the-hill Coles that they seem to think a good TE is about all you need. Whether we can sign them or not, we need both Holmes and Edwards with Kerley adding more explosiveness across the board than Smith can and either Kerley or McKnight gradually taking over for J-Co, the oldest of our WRs. Anything less isn’t the stuff of an SB caliber squad.

29. By IRA on May 23, 2011 | Reply

Gary, Nice idea but why mess with two spots?They will leave the left side alone. Slauson really played well and got better week after week as the season went on. No reason to mess up that chemistry. Its easier to re-sign Woody or Hunter to plug in at RT then start playing musical chairs on the o-line. Last time they did that was back in 96 and they opened in Denver and O’Donnell was running for his life.

30. By GaryC on May 23, 2011 | Reply

to all of the edwards and holmes fans, guys will always put out a little more when they are seeking that megabuck contract.let us see how hard they block when they are on a losing team with nothing to play for.that seperates the men from the boys and the ones who get to canton against the ones who don’t

31. By wayne on May 23, 2011 | Reply

Ira, I NEVER LOOK AT STATS. If Edwards is gone, I think he will be, he cannot be replaced in any way shape fashion, by a rookie, no matter what his press clippings. He’ll be playing men. Edwards and guys mentioned have an affect on a D long before the play starts that late round rooks won’t. MS needs all the weapons he can get. If Edwards is gone and Smith gets big $$$ for his services, which I also expect, that Jets tender means nothing, Jets will be on the market. Jets don’t get to keep EVERYBODY. Maybe one day MS will fully begin to show he can actually utilize all the weapons he’s been given, but that time is not nigh and not yet……..THEY WILL BE ON THE MARKET FOR A NAME REPLACEMENT.

32. By Tom Spicer on May 23, 2011 | Reply

Next year Mark will have at least 25 TD’S last year Braylon had 7 TD’S this is a guy who had 16 one year with the Browns. He will have at least 8 next year. Holmes has had 8 TD’S in a year he had 6 last year in 12 games. Does anyone think he wont have at least 8 next year? In his 2nd year in the system & in a full 16 games. Keller had 5 TD’S last year he will have at least 6 this year. Mark has ran for 3 TD’S in both of his 2 years I will take 2 away & give him 1 for next year & Cotchery will have 3 TD’S. 8 for Braylon, 8 for Holmes, 6 for Keller, 3 for Cotchery & 1 run for Mark. 8 + 8 + 6 + 3 + 1 = 25 that is worst case. The D will be the same or better & so will the running game. So with Marks improvement what does this all add up to it

33. By Tom Spicer on May 23, 2011 | Reply

finally puts us over the top to win us a SUPER BOWL! We have had the D & the running game but this year we will have the QB to get it done anything short of making the SUPER BOWL is a failure.

34. By wayne on May 23, 2011 | Reply

Jimmer, throw out the final 4 idea. You have a different animal here. The Jets have more FAs than any other team in the Not For Long League. Time will be significantly compressed, so where there’d be some wait for the final 4, that changes here. Jets are going to lose guys. Some by choice, contrary to the propaganda by bro. T. Jets will have ample oppty to upgrade their greatest position of need, if players are available.Only question is, will teams just say, you know what, we might be better off keeping our own guys rather than trying to assimilate new players. Jets will still have first dibs on rookie FAs. And I expect that their focuc might lean a bit towards LBS where they’re in need of fresh legs.

35. By Tom Spicer on May 23, 2011 | Reply

On the up side I see Braylon with 10 TD’S, Holmes with 10 TD’S, Keller with 8 TD’S, Cotchery with 2 TD’S & Mark with 30 TD’S & 4,000 yards With the talent they have are the above numbers really out of reach? Not only are they not out of reach but there is a real chance of it happening next year & not in year 4 for Mark Braylon & Holmes have the talent to be 10 TD per year WRS & Keller has the talent to be a 8 TD per year TE. 10 + 10 + 8 = 28 putting Mark on the cusp of 30 TD’S per year every year going forward weather it be Cotchery getting the other 2 or it be him just running for 2 a year But 30 TD’S is what I am looking for next year with a worst case of 25 Also at least make the SUPER BOWL or win it all depending on how much he improves

36. By GaryC on May 23, 2011 | Reply

Ira, woody at this stage is past his prime and Hunter will probably get better offers to start.At this point I would rather have Slauson at tackle handling the top rushers than Ducasse.At guard you have help from tackle and center but when you are tackle if tightend does not chip you are on a island.to believe Ducasse is up to that task now without the reps do to the strike is taking a lot into account,Sanchez might feel better with Slauson at tackle to.

37. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 23, 2011 | Reply

Thanks, GaryC, for commenting on something I’ve said several times, which is that there’s definitely some appeal, even to big-ego guys like Holmes and Edwards, in playing for a team that’s been in the Top 4 two yrs in a row, is led by a coach that players around the league love and want to play for, has money to spend on big players, and is willing to spend it.

38. By GaryC on May 23, 2011 | Reply

It is funny about how fans are making predictions when really you don’t even know what players are on the team.maybe we have rice and ocho instead of edwards and holmes, just saying.when camp finally opens who knows what the team is going to look like.I am sure contracts are signed and teams know who they got.

39. By IRA on May 23, 2011 | Reply

Tom, Could you just see Edwards ending up in Foxboro with Brady and we end up with Moss? What a nightmare that would be.

40. By 38 year fan on May 23, 2011 | Reply

We need Edwards , Holmes ,and J Co, all three minimum . All 3 are Quintessential to a run at it all ..Our goal is a championship right ? In fact , it would be nice to have Plaxico thrown into the mix as well .

41. By 38 year fan on May 23, 2011 | Reply

Tom’s right about Schotty too ..Time to step up …It’s Go big or go home …It’s time to shake the Schottenheimer familly curse , and win it all …2nd place is not enough ..

42. By matt on May 23, 2011 | Reply

Agree with Gary C on being leery of stats put up in a players walk year. On the other hand, no WR ever made it to Canton for their blocking.

I don’t see why the Jets can’t re-sign both WRs. They cut their budget last year by $20-30-Million, didn’t they? And there was a lot more coming off this year I believe.

43. By 38 year fan on May 23, 2011 | Reply

We gotta get Keller more involved on Goal line . And we gotta run Goal line alot better ,As a Whole . We have to make that section of the playbook Routine ….

44. By 38 year fan on May 23, 2011 | Reply

As far as the Defense ,..we gotta attack off the Ends ,…we have no pass rush …Unacceptable..We cannot allow a slow Rothlesburger to escape …That is not going to do it ..Without a pass rush we are not going to win it all ..That is just a fact

45. By gmany3k on May 23, 2011 | Reply

I got your Back Shotty against all odds the best players are on defense unlike when we were younger . that is one reason for all the passing teams besides the owners want points on the board to get the butts in the seats. it wasn’t too long ago when we used to complain that you cann’t have two RB’s in the back field splitting carries , now we have 3 of them back there and none of them can break the game open for if they could we would have been champs. this is football not cherry picking horse race .

46. By Matt on May 23, 2011 | Reply

Sources say the jets are interested in Randy Moss, say it ain’t so! lol
    please guys, keep edwards for the vertical threat, the guys not selfish and arrogant like moss, and you must keep Santonio Holmes. I would hate to do it bu we jet fans are willing to let brad smith go. I would rather have cromartie go, not b. smith. But please do keep edwards and holmes, no MOSS!!!

47. By wayne on May 23, 2011 | Reply

Ira, when one of those wideouts arrive, remember I said it here first.

48. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 24, 2011 | Reply

I certainly agree, Ira, that Moss, no matter how great he once was, would be a step down from Edwards. Thanks, 38 year, for the props on both the need for world-class WRs and an OC who doesn’t tolerate more than one or two games in a row with no first quarter points. I really don’t understand the constant defense of Schotty by Jet fans who’ve been around for his whole tenure. Maybe it’s some weird indirect way of defending Rex on his minimal skill, knowledge, and command of the O. I must say, I’d like to see more of the tough questions that Rex faced on the ESPN site over here.

49. By IRA on May 24, 2011 | Reply

Gary, Thats right Hunter will get good money and thats why Woody will probably be back. Once agin trust me they don’t need to start shifting players around on their OL.
    Wayne, Since Feb i have been saying Plax will be a Jet if they lose Edwards. They most likely would’ve signed him in 09 if he didn’t go to jail.
    Look at it this way. It should cost them about 15-18 per year to keep both SH and BE. Is that too much money to invest in 2 WR’s? Probably but we are still dealing with a young QB who still has room to improve. Why mess the chemistry up?
    The other side of that was they won and Sanchez was sharp early last year except for the Balt game when they handcuffed Sanchez. And that was with SH out. Keller is really like having another WR.

50. By IRA on May 24, 2011 | Reply

So they decide to go that way and bring in an aging veteran for 1 year to complement Holmes. Keeep in mind they still have to sign Harris to a long term deal too after this year if the tag sticks. If it doesn’t then maybe they have to sign him now. So i understand they really can’t commit too much money to one position.
    After all this rambling on i suggest the owners and players fire all their attorneys and go to the Roscoe Diner and gets things done so we can have football on time.

51. By KW65Fan on May 24, 2011 | Reply

Oh my Lord….imagine that….Moss…or Ocho on the team….it would be a never ending who can talk the loudest….with Bart and Cro….bickering…blah..blah…blah. They would surely knock Rex from the headlines…maybe thats a good thing…LOL. Just read an article where with the players filing law-suits…anything being done at negotiating table is nil. Playing waiting game on where these suits bring to the owners…with nothing being done…and any decision not til mid or end of June. If any…then appeals…then more delays…I can see training camp starting Sept….league play starting October-Nov…and ending with SB in March…sickening….Maybe a good thing…Nothing on in feb and March….

52. By Tom Spicer on May 24, 2011 | Reply

No Moss, No Plax & No TO I do not want any of these guys. If we can not resign Braylon & Holmes or get someone else besides the above 3 I would rather go with Cotchery, Pat Turner, Brad Smith, Kerley & McKnight. The Jets can just run the ball 600 times for all I care. No cancer in the clubhouse!

53. By GaryC on May 24, 2011 | Reply

who wants Moss, guy does not go over middle, Patriots offense was better without him, sidney rice is better than moss, holmes and edwards, bring him in, he also does not have the diva mentality.

54. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 24, 2011 | Reply

Sanchez wasn’t too sharp in the Green Bay game, Ira, and until he simply does not have games as terrible as that one and vs. Baltimore, he’s far from one of the better QBs in the league. I agree that holding onto both Holmes and Edwards for the next few years would help him, though, and so it’s clearly worth spending the money to do that. And there’s an article today that has Harris saying he expects to sign a long-term contract with the Jets, so maybe that’s going in the right direction too.

55. By uncle joe on May 24, 2011 | Reply

NFL cancels rookie symposium, Nice move owners. Cancelling something scheduled for the end of June is a clear sign to the Players that unless they take a deal,THERE WILL BE NO PAYCHECKS. CHECKMATE! They know they will get the rule in their favor June 6th. Take these Players Down Town ChinaTown,Baby!

56. By wayne on May 24, 2011 | Reply

Tom Spicer, my comment was about what MS does in games. And there are no doubts about his 2nd half arrivals. That’s gotta get fixed.Ira, please with the late round WRs drafted to cover themselves in case…That’s not what I was talking about…..Reality check will take place the first time they actually have to navigate thru Belichick’s secondary. till then they’re just a couple of late round pickups. Buffalo and MIA are no slouches back there either.Tom Spicer….LOL, the Jets went “all in” lontime ago.Ring or bust. ..Best thing for the Jets would be to have Edwards give them a discount. Smith, can’t see him back. It’s time for him to get paid and an expanded role. He’s earned it. Won’t happen here. If one marquee WR goes one will come.

57. By wayne on May 24, 2011 | Reply

How do you guys know that the Jets aren’t thinking, “as soon as we give Edwards that big contract he wants, how do we know he’s not gonna get the dropsies again?’……………………..You guys will forget every complaint against Moss the first time he makes one of his one handed stabs for 80yds and a score. personally, I would prefer Ocho. This is all conjecture, but if Edwards goes, someone is coming. No if and or but. Holmes, Cotch and bunch of rooks won’t do……..Moss wants a ring. He might come even if stays……That would be a nightmare for the entire league.

58. By GaryC on May 24, 2011 | Reply

moss continues to spout his love for belichek and patriots and they don’t want him.we are not on hard knocks this year so we don’t need any supporting actor roles for ratings.the ship has passed mr. moss, please a continuation of bringing in guys passed their prime.Look as good as the jets drafting has been they still have come up with some stinkers,and that is why we have to continually hear names for guys who are done.green bay signs college free agents like frank zombo and sam shields who make contributions to their super bowl team.

59. By IRA on May 25, 2011 | Reply

wayne, Edwards from day one in camp last summer was one of the most consistent players they had all year. I know they can’t keep everybody but he is not going to be easy to replace. Whoever they bring in will not be able to do everything he could. The big thing is his ability to block in the running game which is so key. Let me ask everybody this question. Besides Plax who can make the catch Edwards did at the end of the Colts game?

60. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 25, 2011 | Reply

Holmes and J-Co can make that catch as far as the Jets goes, Ira, and for non-Jet FAs Vincent Jackson and Malcolm Floyd as well as James Jones and maybe Sidney Rice. Moss, TO, and Ocho make it on a good day but no one knows how many of those they have left or how many bad days their egos and attitudes will also produce.

61. By GaryC on May 25, 2011 | Reply

Sidney Rice, Ira.

62. By Tom Spicer on May 25, 2011 | Reply

Wayne, I dont think the Jets went all in a long time ago cause you do not go all in with a rookie QB. If they where going all in the would have done anything & everything to bring Favre back for a 2nd year. Mabye Rex’s mouth makes you think that the jets where all in but not with a rookie QB. Who thought the Jets where going to win the Super Bowl 2 years ago NO ONE!

63. By uncle joe on May 25, 2011 | Reply

Personally I think TO and Rex Ryan would go great together. I know TO is a pain,but he just wants to win. I think he is the most complete WR of the bunch.He had a very good season on a team that is in SHAMBLES. I think he would give you the most for your money and would jump at the oportunity to play in NEW YORK,win a Ring and go right to TV.

64. By uncle joe on May 25, 2011 | Reply

That said,I would still LOVE if the Jets got Stuckey back. Trunsnick and Elam are,I believe,free agents too!

65. By Tom Spicer on May 25, 2011 | Reply

The Jets need to make Braylon the priority over Holmes & this is why. If we lose Braylon we gave up a 3rd & a 5th round pick to rent a WR for a year & a half & we will get nothing back in return. Holmes is a restricted free agent we gave up a 5th round pick for him. The tender placed on him was a 1st & a 2nd or a 1st & a 3rd I dont remember. For arguments sake lets say its a 1st & a 3rd. If we resigned Braylon & went into next year with Braylon, Cotchery & Keller. I would be okay with that having 2 1st, a 2nd & 2 3rd round picks next year.

66. By wayne on May 25, 2011 | Reply

Tom Spicer,. Favre left because of Rhodes and employee #20.Jets wanted him back and Rex wanted him. I predicted Rhodes n Jones wouldnt be long for Jets. When all the experts said Favre would retire, I predicted he wouldn’t. Correct again. You think they wanted him to rebuild. They have a playoff ready team and went after a rookie QB because in their opinion, he was a franchise QB and their best option, an overreach in my opinion. Fact is they have a vet filled team and went out and picked up a bunch of risky players on one year deals. What do you think that was for exactly? The long haul maybe? They’re beginning now to adjust that approach again and this year is the start of that process. Your boy, MS lucked into playoff team.

67. By wayne on May 25, 2011 | Reply

Spicer, I know having Moss join your team would feel awful to you…..for a short while, but don’t try to rewrite the facts in hopes of rationalize why your team shouldn’t want him…..your headcoach has been guaranteeing championships for 2yrs now. What you think he’s building for? The future is now…..ALL IN NOW,YESTERDAY, YESTERYEAR……….How anyone would pick Edwards over Holmes, I do not understand. Last big contract Edwards got, he spit the bit….Holmes has done nothing but produce on the field. As far as the off the field stuff, that’S a wash between them….Look at their numbers, Holmes having played 4 fewer games………..Like it or not, SOMEBODY’S GOING, SOMEBODY IS COMING….Holmes is staying.

68. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on May 26, 2011 | Reply

wayne, thanks re TJ and Rhodes, whose careers multiplied by 20 don’t come close to Favre’s, shooting off their mouths in public about him. Had they not, we might’ve had Favre for another yr — the yr he was awesome on MIN — and tutoring Sanchez. Rhodes was a poser since about his 2nd season with us, but I never understood why all this talk about TJ as such a great leader continued for a moment after he opened his mouth about Favre. The only thing TJ has led in for the last couple of yrs is amount of 1- and 2-yd carries per game. I doubt he’ll be any factor on KC at all next yr, whereas LT still has enough left to contribute strongly and mentor our young RBs, and without blathering on like TJ about his awesome body (yeah, with dead legs).

69. By Tom Spicer on May 26, 2011 | Reply

Wayne, Holmes has a very slight edge over Braylon & if my choice is keep Holmes & lose Braylon & get nothing in return. Or keep Braylon & lose Holmes but get a 1st & a 3rd round pick for Holmes hands down & I think anyone in there right mind would agree BYE BYE HOLMES!

70. By wayne on May 26, 2011 | Reply

Tom 64, thank you. I Itotally agree. I predicted before that season Favre would not only come back but also have a great year and he did. The old man did that just to show everybody in NY what they coulda had. Imagine if he had that year for Rex. We’re still waitin on those guarantees Rex.