• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the meda following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets Coordinators Thomas McGaughey, Marty Mornhinweg, Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

John Dockery: ‘I’m a Jet at Heart’

Posted by Eric Allen on June 30, 2011 – 4:31 pm

John Dockery might have suited up for both the Jets and the Steelers during his playing days, but he was pulling for only one team in the AFC Championship Game last January.

“I’m a Jet at heart.  I have the Super Bowl ring here,” he told me this week at the 40th annual Namath/Dockery Football Camp.  “The Steelers have enough of them.  We want another one for the Jets.”

Dockery, a cornerback who started his career with the Jets from 1968-71 and then played two seasons with the Steelers, made an interesting comparison between a current Green & White cornerback and one of his former Steeler teammates.

“I played with a cornerback who is as good as Darrelle Revis — Mel Blount.  Spectacular.  Big guy, long arms and tough,” Dock said.  “Darrelle Revis is a little different, but he’s so quick and he allows Rex to come with the blitz and put pressure.”

The 6’3”, 205-pound Blount, a third-round pick of the Steelers in 1970, was a four-time All-Pro who played in five Pro Bowls and four Super Bowls.  He amassed 57 interceptions and picked off a pass in each of his first 14 seasons before retiring in 1983.

The 5’11”, 198-pound Revis, selected No. 14 overall by the Jets in 2007, already is a three-time Pro Bowl selection and two-time All-Pro.  But Revis’ interception total stayed at zero in 2010 because opposition quarterbacks rarely threw in his direction.

The Jets collected 12 interceptions last season, a number that tied them for 25th in football.  But Dockery would like to see more of a consistent push up front from a Green & White defensive outfit that amassed 40 sacks in regular-season action.

“I’d like to see more pass rush,” said the Brooklyn, N.Y., native.  “The corners are spectacular, a little help at safety wouldn’t hurt and for Rex Ryan to keep coming the way he’s been coming.”

Count Dockery as another in a long list of folks who have bought into Ryan’s refreshing approach.

“People say, ‘Oh, he talks too much.’  Hey, he’s taken pressure off the team and he believes,” he said.  “Why shouldn’t he talk?  And you know what?  He gets the best out of his players.

“If you’re running an organization like he’s running an organization, with high-octane athletes with egos as big as New York City, you better be able to manage them.  He’s been able to manage different kinds of people and get the most out of them.  I admire him.  He’s a great CEO of a corporation.”

After the Jets’ consecutive appearances in the conference championship game, Dockery believes they’re ready to be super.  Homefield advantage would be a plus next winter and there is no replacement for the experience the Jets have already gained.

“Having the home fans’ support can take you that one extra step, so I think it would be huge for them.  Also having been there twice now, these guys understand it a little bit no matter what they say,” Dock said.  “As you go along and you go to the next level in the playoffs, there’s lots of stuff going on all over the place.  But they’ve been there now and they’re ready for the next step into the Super Bowl.”

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 50 Comments »

50 Responses to “John Dockery: ‘I’m a Jet at Heart’”

1. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

Dockery was the Jim Leonhard of his day, we shoulda held onto him a lot longer…

2. By scjoe on Jun 30, 2011 | Reply

How bad has it gotten when we are relegated to talk about journeymen from 40 years ago? Thank God there is baseball and my Giants,with injuries galore, are still hanging around the top of the NL West.

3. By IRA on Jul 1, 2011 | Reply

Dockery was a solid player. I think he was doing some football radio work. EA is he still on the air and where?
    And while Blount was a great player sorry nobody covers and plays CB like Revis. Best i have ever watched play the game.

4. By matt on Jul 1, 2011 | Reply

If Revis was allowed to do to receivers what Blount was allowed to do, there would be no comparison between the two. Same goes for Mike Haynes, Lester Hayes, or any other CB you could name.

Revis is the best CB of any era. And in a passing league with all the rules favoring WRs, he is the ultimate Shut down corner. I still find it incredible that he held Manning and Reggie Wayne to one completion (behind the line of scrimmage!) in a playoff game played in perfect conditions of a dome.

5. By GaryC on Jul 1, 2011 | Reply

got to hand it to scjoe, yes there will be things to do if the arrogance of these football stars continues,we can watch ocho continue to make a fool of himself,which player will be next to get himself in trouble,let us vote for islanders to get their arena, a team that is building with youth,and not bringing in players that are to full of themselves.

6. By Jimmer on Jul 1, 2011 | Reply

Dockery’s point about Rex is pretty valid. Even I think Rex talks a little too much. But he really does put the bullseye on himself and off the players. When we hear about players from others teams speaking openly about wanting to play for him, it’s only the tip of the iceburg. Guys play their butts off for him cause he makes everything off the field easier for them. Holmes is an oddity, he said he wants to retire a Jet, but he only wants to retire rich. BE and Cro really do want to play for noone but Rex. They both realize Rex went out of normal front office theory for them personally and gave them clean slates.

7. By Play like a JET on Jul 2, 2011 | Reply

In any battle, the warriors have to believe in the man at the front of the charge. Rex Ryan is that guy, without any doubt or any question.

His short term success and that of this New York Jets team gets minimized at times by focus only on the greatest of football history, namely their AFC rivals.

However, this group is just getting started. To build from here and leave a consistent mark and legacy is what is expected of these Jets. They are oh so close to making and taking that reputation. Keep fighting men, keep winning. It’s yours if you want it bad enough.

As a fan who wears emotions on his sleeve very much like the philosophy of Rex and this NY Jets team, I cannot put in words the appreciation and gratitude I have.

8. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 2, 2011 | Reply

I saw all those other CBs you name and many others play many times, matt, and while there’s no denying DBs had some advantages in Blount’s days and before, I don’t think it only works one way with respect to comparisons to Revis. For one thing, no one could’ve dreamed back then of the kind of exotic blitz packages that guys like Rex run these days, which helps out CBs a lot (even with the Jets’ iffy pass rush). But much more importantly, the game was infinitely more wide open in terms of passing from about 1965 until at least the late ’70s. While DR is certainly ONE of the best CBs I’ve ever seen, there’s no way of ever knowing how he’d do outside of a league in which a “great” WR like Welker averages less than ten yards a catch.

9. By IRA on Jul 3, 2011 | Reply

From what i see the Raiders biggest need is a # 1 WR. Bey is a bust who they drafted out of Maryland and i believe Crazy Uncle Al is going to go after Holmes or Edwards and throw them real crazy money. I wouldn’t be shocked to see one of them there. I would guess and say it will be Edwards.
    IRA

10. By GaryC on Jul 3, 2011 | Reply

as time passes on, memories fade of players who were great,Blount can cover and tackle as good as anybody ths side of ronnie lott.the steel curtain and linebackers got all the accolades but Blount and Mean Joe, and Lambert gave them their physicallity.

11. By GaryC on Jul 3, 2011 | Reply

see ira, this is what revis gets for calling randy moss a slouch, I said when this countdown got started it was a joke.it was only fill time because of the lockout. so ray lewis now is a better player than andre johnson, revis,fitzgerald, ware.the only good thing about this is maybe revis won’t renegotiate seeing he did not fall in top five.

12. By IRA on Jul 3, 2011 | Reply

Gary, I haven’t really watched it and i just turned it on and saw that the top 4 are offensive players. I did see the L. Jordan halfback option pass vs the Ravens from 04. Still shake my head why they called that play.It completely turned that game around.
    Anyway i don’t care or pay much attention to what these players say about other players,coaches or tweet comments about each other. Its all nonsense that the media and fans follow now. Once again it just shows am old school. All i care about is the effort and how our team plays when they are on the field.
    Reed has had an incredible career and is one of the all-time greats. Once Revis gets a few more years in the books like he has the past two years he will be considered the best CB who

13. By IRA on Jul 3, 2011 | Reply

has ever played the game. I really don’t care how players vote. I have been lucky enough to watch this game for the past 50 so years. And his skills at his position are so special they will be hard to match.
    GO Revis!!!!!

14. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 4, 2011 | Reply

WOW WESLEY! Walker doesn’t mess around and just TOTALLY calls Schotty, Rex, and the Jets out about the lack of a serious deep threat since he left the team! When can we sign this guy up to coach? I don’t want him to take a job away from Ellard, who averaged 17 p/catch over his own terrific career, a number that Schotty’s moronic 2-yd WR screens won’t help anybody attain, but can we add Walker as some kind of adviser on O? Something like, “Former Jet Great in Charge of Getting WRs the Rock on Deep Patterns?” Who says nobody has the guts to stand up for what’s right anymore? I gotta watch that clip again just to make sure I didn’t dream it! Of course, I think Walker should be in the Jets’ Ring of Fame anyway, but what do I know…

15. By Jimmer on Jul 4, 2011 | Reply

Ira, I for one hope you’re wrong. Davis will go after both of them, but I think he’ll offer more money to holmes simply cause Davis loves speed too much. BE can outmuscle, outblock and outleap Holmes, making him more important to us than to Davis. Davis will withdraw his offer to BE if holmes signs the ridiculous contract.

16. By Jimmer on Jul 4, 2011 | Reply

Everyone on the Revis thing need to step back a bit. It’s too early to be calling him the greatest ever. One thing he has on his side heading forward, which you don’t see in this day and age is this, even Jerry Rice wouldn’t talk smack about Revis the year he had to play him. Everyone that has talked smack has been totally embarassed.
    The era thing means nothing, everyone is bigger, faster & stronger. There are guys over 320lbs running a sub 5 40. I’m not sure how any HOF’ers pre 1980 could survive in the current NFL.
    Darryl Green played into his 40’s, and nobody even mentioned him.

17. By GaryC on Jul 4, 2011 | Reply

what makes the players of yesteryear better was they needed to work hard at football everyday or they would be back in the coalmines,players who sign contracts today, one paycheck sets them up for life, if they know how to handle the riches, which most don’t.too much self gratification and it is all about me has made it more of a sideshow than the brass tacks of what the game should be about.

18. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 4, 2011 | Reply

JImmer, pre-1980 Hall of Famers would survive and thrive in the current NFL because they’d benefit from the same year-round training, coaching, equipment, routine (not to mention much bigger paychecks) that today’s players do, so they’d be bigger, faster, and stronger. I can hardly imagine what a 2011 version of Norm Van Brocklin, Jim Brown, Lance Alworth, Deacon Jones, Bobby Bell, Dick Butkus, Willie Brown, or Franco Harris would be like to encounter on the field. Not to mention that Joe might never have hobbled around so much if he’d had the kind of knee surgery that they can do today…

19. By IRA on Jul 4, 2011 | Reply

Jimmer,
    Holmes is going to get about 10 mill per. If Uncle Al throws him 12-14 mill combined salary and other bonus’ the Jets will let him go. I would be shocked if they give a WR that type of money. In 2009 Jennings made 16, White 12, R. Williams 13, Coles, L Evans and A. Bryant 9. So Holmes is probably looking for a HUGE pay day.
    This is going to be an interesting thing to watch. They are going to have to rework quite a few deals to be able to sign some of their top free agents.

20. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 5, 2011 | Reply

Ira, while I don’t pretend to be a whiz at these salary issues — because I don’t really care about them, salaries are already too ridiculously high for certain veterans — I think you’re on the right track about $, Holmes, and Davis. Uncle Al is just crazy enough to spend a fortune on one WR when he hasn’t even settled the QB issue and dump Heyward-Bey just like he had to dump Russell. Back in Florham Park where I hope cooler heads prevail, I’ll bet the Jets could get both Edwards and somebody like Floyd, Jones, or Jackson for 20 mil per or less. So if that’s what happens, I’m fine with it. In the same way I was against Revis holding up the team for $, I’m against WRs doing it as long as we sign a few and work in our newly-drafted WRs.

21. By IRA on Jul 5, 2011 | Reply

I think Kirwan is one of the better talent evaluators out there. I have to disagree with him on his analysis of Keller in his TE story. He has the group right for now but i can’t see how he thinks Keller will not continue to get better. Blocking is a gimmie. He has improved very much. He wrote that Keller was the 5th most targeted TE in the NFL. He was targeted 100 times and caught 55 passes. If he holds on to a few more and Sanchez becomes just a little more accurate there is no reason why he can’t catch another 10-15 passes this coming year.He is still only 26 yrs old and i think he is finally ready to take the next step and become a Pro Bowl player this year.

22. By IRA on Jul 5, 2011 | Reply

Tom,
    Agree on your list on potential WR if and when we lose one. I would say its safe to say they would want to keep their two top WR’s at a combined 15 mill or less. I can’t see them breaking the bank at the WR spots.While it appears Holmes is their top priority i wouldn’t mind if they kept Edwards and signed a player like Jones from GB. Going back to my previous post about Keller he is a fall back option with this whole WR deal. Just look back at how they used him in the first 4 games of last year.

23. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 6, 2011 | Reply

Ira, I like Keller as much as the next guy — unless the next guy is Uncle Joe, in which case I like him more than the next guy — but I don’t think a team that traded up to a #5 pick for a QB who’d barely played a season, that talks constantly about winning a SB, and that has as much $ as any other team in the league to spend will skimp on WRs. And along those lines, I’m not sure Holmes is the Jets’ top priority now. He’s taken awhile to talk like he really wants to be a Jet (Arte tells me he did in fact talk that way the other day) and if we’re gonna have a few weeks of wide-open free agency, one highly-paid WR is like another. I’ll take any 2 out of SH, Edwards, Floyd, Jackson, and Jones, and I’m sure Rex, Schotty, and Ellard will, too.

24. By IRA on Jul 7, 2011 | Reply

Tom,
    The avg salary for the top 10 paid WR’s in 09-10 came in at an avg of about 9.9 per which inclued salary and bonus money. The Packers gave Jennings and Driver a combined 22 mill highest total in the league. But the smarter way was the Pats that paid Moss and Welker a combined 9 and change. I would think the blue print in GM guides is to have your 1and 2 WR add up to 15 -18 tops. Holmes is going to be asking for 15 for sure if not more.
    You know i am on board with any of the combos you mentioned. Holmes is special and i believe they will make every effort to sign him to a long term deal.

25. By wayne on Jul 7, 2011 | Reply

Ira, now you’re just throwing a whole lot a goooo at the wall hoping something will stick….You want Edwards to stay so badly you’re hoping Uncle Al falls for your okedoke. The man was always ahead of his time and I give him much respect for what he did with his Raiders over the years. He did it his way, made mistakes, but who of these fat cat owners hasn’t made them? Saw more than 40yrs of it myself…Funny how people like to pile on when a man grows old, i.e. Jeter…..That said…THE NYJETS know that Holmes is a winner. He’s a bottomline player: Results when they most count, in the biggest moments. Every year for 4yrs. Not a end of his contract…DIFFERENCE MAKER. Severe blow if he’s not retained.

26. By wayne on Jul 7, 2011 | Reply

How quickly GaryC forgets that big overreach by his Islanders giving the one hit wonder that mega deal this summer…..Rangers have been quietly building farm system. Have better talent in their system, particularly on the back end than the Long Islanders……….This is the USA, a man has the right to make a fool of himself if he so pleases…..There are people getting paid a king’s ransom everyday on free tv for acting a fool………or so I’m told…….haven’t watched tv in yrs……….Wouldn’t it be something all this complaining about Chad, you all end up having to cheer for him this winter? Careful one of those WRs you all wanna keep end up in Boston……….GO RANGERS!!!!!…………………..GO JETER!!!!!

27. By wayne on Jul 7, 2011 | Reply

RIP Mr. John Mackey.

28. By IRA on Jul 7, 2011 | Reply

Wayne,
    Agree it would be a big blow. Browns, Lions, Broncos and Hou [BTW Edwards' catch set up that Hou TD catch for SH] he won all those games with HUGE plays. Even drawing the facemask call in Denver. Thats why i think he stays unless a team like the Raiders blow him away with some big money.
    And i am not only hoping Edwards will stay i want SH too.
    About Mr Davis i have loads of respect for him especially since he is a Brooklyn boy. But really he should’ve handed over the control to somebody else 10 years ago.

29. By IRA on Jul 7, 2011 | Reply

Wayne,
    One major point i left out is that look how they did last year the first month without Holmes. Keller was a major factor and they went 3-1 and should’ve been 4-0 if they had not handcuffed mark in the opener vs Balt. When Holmes came back he took them to another level. Thats the level i want to see them play this year and build on and even get better.

30. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 7, 2011 | Reply

Put that way, Ira, I must differ with wayne on the urgency of signing Holmes and, yeah, I can hear GaryC revving up to rib me about it again. If the Pack payed $22 mil for Jennings and Driver (What did they pay for Jones? Who’s relegating Driver to #3 in the same way SH and BE have done to J-Co, no?), I don’t think we’d be wise to pay more than about $18 mil for a #1 and #2 WR, assuming we can afford that. And so if SH wants $15 mil all by himself, let him go! I’ll bet Edwards and the other 3 guys I named, particularly the 2 disgruntled SD WRs, would be more than happy to take $7-$9 mil to play for the Jets, with Edwards getting the other half or a little more. P.S. Moss and Welker came cheap because Moss is done and Welker’s overrated.

31. By GaryC on Jul 8, 2011 | Reply

wayne, five straight times to the finals, the rangers could only dream that,and considering the resources the rangers had to work with one cup since 1940.I just hope we are not saying that about the jets.you should at least luck into one championship in 70 years unless your the cubs.

32. By Jimmer on Jul 9, 2011 | Reply

“64, you’re right about 1 thing, Players would be stronger/faster today, but it’s a theory, they might be the same coming out of HS/college, and wouldn’t get a shot in the current nfl as well. Franco and Deacon would get the shot, but the rest, I’m not so sure about. As for Namath, he’d still be on the IR recovering from surgery. The largest, fastest guys have always gone to the NFL. That’s our national sport, MLB be damned.

33. By Jimmer on Jul 9, 2011 | Reply

Ira, let holmes get his 10+ mil a yr. It’s all he cares about, the cash. I’ve been saying it for months now, see ya. BE wants to play for Rex, Holmes wants to play for cash. He has a ring to wear already, now it’s all about cash. I thought bringing him in was a mistake from the get go.
    Cotchery and Edwards are a very formidable pairing. With our TE’s do we need to go overboard? We still have LT in the backfield, who will they double cover? Cotchery will get single coverage and eat them alive.

34. By Jimmer on Jul 9, 2011 | Reply

The only way we get better than last year is simple. More speed on defense, more speed on offense! We can win the braun issue with most teams. But we lose the finesse issue with most teams.
    Speed at LB wasn’t covered in the draft. ST, hello, ST! Offense fallys is totally coaching, and I think we’ve addressed that.
    We still lack speed.

35. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 9, 2011 | Reply

Jimmer, I agree about our need for more speed, which is why LT alone won’t help J-Co, who’s no longer fast enough to get past DBs on his own anyway. Plus his back injury throws everything into further doubt. So I’ll keep Holmes if he really wants to be a Jet but if he doesn’t I’m up for grabbing any of those other guys. You must never have seen guys like Alworth, Bell, Butkus, and both Browns play to even hint they wouldn’t be monstrous with today’s training, conditioning, and salaries.They revolutionized their positions then and would do it all over again with today’s advantages, which have turned some very minor talents into stars. Ira, you got it right on Uncle Al across the board. He was great back in the day, but he’s run out of gas.

36. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 9, 2011 | Reply

And my vote for the most bizarre of your assessments, Jimmer, would be your doubt about Alworth, of all people. I suppose you’re unaware of how DBs were allowed to completely maul WRs back in his day. Playing WR under today’s touch-tackle rules of pass coverage, Alworth would catch as many passes as anyone threw his way and average 30 yards a catch in the face of triple coverage, making similarly quick, smallish WRs of today like Welker (and bigger, curiously containable WRs like Marshall) look like the hype jobs that they are. I also suggest that you do some serious reading up on and watching of the KC LB crew under Lanier, Bell, and Lynch, which changed the defensive game completely. There’d be no Rex Ryan without the KC D of that era.

37. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 9, 2011 | Reply

Finaly, Jimmer, while we can’t ever really know what anybody would be like if born again in the present, check out some high school football now and again, like I’ve done with my sportswriter friends out here in Southern Cal. The more extensive training and conditioning that I’m talking about seems to start in about 7th grade.

38. By GaryC on Jul 9, 2011 | Reply

jet fan tom, If this strike continues all the players might be sticking with their teams, their, I did not shock you and say a negative thing about holmes this time,but let’s be truthful, it is all about the money no matter what player we talk about,sorry I don’t think any of the players has a picture of rex over his bed.

39. By IRA on Jul 9, 2011 | Reply

Look back at Revis’ deal. He got about 12 mill per so lets get real are they going to give 12 to Holmes. I highly doubt it. Personally i hope these players get all they can because once they aren’t needed they are shown the door. Its a cruel business. So the players have to strike when the iron is hot.
    This is the going rate for the following players.
    Holmes 10-12, Edwards 6-8, Cro 6-8 and lets not forget Harris at some point they have to give a long term contract and it will take 6-8.
    Those numbers are why they must rework several deals into bonus money or whatever to free up cap space.
    There are about 4 players going into this year that take up about 47 mill of the cap which could come in at about 120 mill or so.

40. By IRA on Jul 9, 2011 | Reply

All i know is that GM’s around the league must have put in so much work trying to prepare for this upcoming world wind of a free agency period we will soon watch. Its going to be fast and wild and i think if the 4 years plan goes into effect then those 450 or so FA’s i feel safe to say about 75% sign within the first 5 days.

41. By GaryC on Jul 10, 2011 | Reply

look, the players today play faster because of turf and indoor stadiums, are you telling me willie lanier is not on a par with ray lewis,you don’t see as many mud bowls nowadays as you did in the 60’s,thank goodness, the player of today might strike if he had to play in less optimum conditions.the player of yesteryear was just worried about being a good footballer,he did not have free agency so where was he to go.let me see a player today do what gale sayers did against the 49ers in his rookie year. in mud scores 6 touchdowns.players today would call it a day after two.

42. By uncle joe on Jul 10, 2011 | Reply

I saw Brandon Moore at Sesame Place on Friday,,,Very Cool

43. By IRA on Jul 11, 2011 | Reply

Kirwan has an interesting article about the Jets needs. To me it seems like he would prefer the Jets to keep Edwards and of course Holmes because of the chemistry they have with Sanchez. That means Cro would be out of the mix and like i have said all offseason C. Carr, J. Wilson or J. Joseph would be the guys they nned to go after to repalce Cro. Cro is excellent but he does have too many inconsistent plays. Its either boom or bust with him. Very much like Otis Smith was but at a much more talented level. Once again i would try and keep Sanchez comfortable and let Rex fit in another CB if they choose to go in that direction.
    GO JETS!!!!

44. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 11, 2011 | Reply

GaryC, I stand unshocked regaring your restraint on Holmes. As for your point on Lanier, Sayers, and playing condtions and other factors in the old days, I couldn’t agree more. Lanier with a huge contract, indoor games, and defenses redialed every play would be a frightening thing to behold, especially since he was quite possibly the smartest MLB ever to play the game.

45. By GaryC on Jul 11, 2011 | Reply

jets continue to do their due diligence with players, that is why Ainge is no longer with team and Ellis court date is pushed back.who knows what happens with him.yes, the liberal society of today,no matter what you do we have room for you,that is another reason why yesteryear was better, you were held accountable for your actions, ask Horning and Alex Karras.

46. By wayne on Jul 11, 2011 | Reply

Once the owners lost their $4bil war chess, for all intents and purpose their backs were as up against the wall as were the players…They have no intention of losing any games, including preseason games. Closer it gets to where they might lose preseason games, the greater will be the urgency on the owners’ part to resolve this………Sound and fury

47. By GaryC on Jul 12, 2011 | Reply

jet fan tom, just to differ with you a little bit, concerning Alworth, taking note, also being an old Afl fan, with a lot of teams nowadays playing the cover two scheme it might be a little harder to say average 30 yards a reception nowadays.I am sure they blitz more nowadays which doesn’t allow the quarterback to stand back there that long anymore.It seems to me that the giants of the 50’s had one of the few quirky defenses back then and that was that umbrella defense which led them to division titles.

48. By Jimmer on Jul 12, 2011 | Reply

Jet Fan 64′, You have the experience on me, I’ve only been following the JETS since 91-92. But OL being 260 is really the point. OJ could play today cause he was really fast back then. But the point is this, coming out of college, guys in the 70’s were too small and too slow to compete with todays college players. They wouldn’t be drafted. The year round training is a moot point.

49. By GaryC on Jul 12, 2011 | Reply

another point about the guys being too small in the 60’s to play now. randall mcdaniel came out of college at 6’3 and around 280 and played most of his career in the 90’s and became hall of famer, another guy was stepnoski of dallas, it is all about leverage and not just girth.

50. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 12, 2011 | Reply

Ready to take a nap after working 2 days on a total of 6 hours sleep but said, “Check the site, somebody might have posted” — and there’s GaryC and Jimmer. I’ll concede points to both of you guys but only partly. GaryC, what you say re coverage, blitzes, etc. is certainly true but what’s also true is that pass interference, as we know it today, simply didn’t exist before at least 1972. You practically had to kill the WR to draw the flag, and guys like Alworth triumphed over that without being 225 lbs. Jimmer, I agree Warren McVea and Eddie Bell wouldn’t get drafted today but with today’s Friday night football mania, they might enter high school looking more like McKnight and Best, tipping the scale at 200 lbs of lightning-fast muscle.