• Sun., Apr. 20, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Fri., May. 09, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sat., May. 10, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., May. 18, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 01, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Condolences on the Passing of Bill Hampton Jr.

Posted by Randy Lange on July 15, 2011 – 12:17 pm

Updated Sunday, 7:55 a.m.

The Hampton family has lost one of its own, and they, along with the Jets family, are in mourning today.

Bill Hampton Jr., 51, the Jets’ assistant equipment manager from 1984-92, died of a heart attack Wednesday night en route to the airport following the ESPY Awards in Los Angeles.

“Billy left us way too early,” said Marty Lyons, the Jets radio analyst who knew Hampton well from Lyons’ playing days with the Jets. “He was just a very good person, a loyal friend, and he had a contagious personality. He could make you laugh, and he was always supportive.

“I guess the way I try to understand it is that the Good Lord needed to take a good friend for his own. That’s what Billy was to so many people. He was a good friend.”

Hampton, who worked for UnderArmour since 2006, came to the Jets as part of the Hampton family business. Father Bill Sr., the Jets’ longtime equipment manager, brought Bill Jr. to Weeb Ewbank Hall, the team’s Hofstra University headquarters, to assist him in the daily operation of the equipment room in 1984.

Billy also assisted with training camp operations and complex maintenance and was active in recruiting players for charity events. He became an executive with NFL Properties and then with Cleveland when the Browns returned to the field in 1999 before moving on to UnderArmour.

“The Hamptons have been a part of the Jets for a long time,” general manager Mike Tannenbaum said today. “Even though I arrived here after Bill left, I knew him and I was well aware of the great background that he came from. Our thoughts and prayers here at the Jets go out to the Hampton family for their tragic loss.”

Bill Sr. has a daughter, Beth Ann, and all five of his sons worked for the Jets in the early Nineties. Clay, in his 22nd season with the Jets, is the Green & White’s former equipment manager and currently their senior director of operations. Drew has been the Jacksonville Jaguars’ equipment manager since 1998. Brian and Derek also worked for the Jets at that time.

We extend our condolences to the Hampton family.

A tribute to Bill will take place at the Higgins and Bonner Echo Lake Funeral Home at 582 Springfield Ave., Westfield, N.J., on Tuesday, July 19, from 7-9 p.m., and Wednesday from 2-4¬† and 7-9 p.m. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held Thursday at 11 a.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Westfield. Interment will follow at Fairview Cemetery, also in Westfield.

The family requests that in lieu of flowers, memorial donations be made in Bill Hampton’s memory to the St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital, Memorial and Honors Program, 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis TN 38105, or online at www.stjude.org.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Condolences on the Passing of Bill Hampton Jr.”

1. By IRA on Jul 15, 2011 | Reply

Condolences to the entire Hampton family.

2. By wayne on Jul 15, 2011 | Reply

condolences to the Hampton family.

3. By carl on Jul 15, 2011 | Reply

my prayers go out to the Hampton family

4. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 15, 2011 | Reply

What a shame, so young and such a loyal part of the Jets nation. May his family be proud of him, as we are.

5. By Jimmer on Jul 15, 2011 | Reply

I love bacon and everything, but @51? I’m not so sure I like bacon so much. Very sad, and I will be looking at myself over this..

6. By Frank on Jul 16, 2011 | Reply

If the rumors are correct on free agency all of our top FA’s will be unrestricted you can forget about resigning all of them especially with a 120 million dollar cap. TanWoody will be severly challenged once the FA period starts.

7. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 16, 2011 | Reply

Everybody will be challenged by a $120 million cap, Frank, and TanWoody won’t just sit by idly. They’ll sign other free agents to replace the ones we lose. I might not say that if the Jets were ever to fully embrace building through the draft. But there’s no way if we lose both Holmes and Edwards that Rex will say okay, let’s just work with Kerley and McKnight for a few yrs. He’ll be after Mike T. to get him some proven star WRs just like he was only a few games into 2009 when he realized J-Co and Stuck weren’t going to be enough. As Arte told me yesterday, I can at least see the Jets trying 2011 with, say, Jackson, Moss, J-Co, the two WR picks, and Turner, since we all know Rex’s “This is our SB yr” talk will start as soon as camp opens.

8. By wayne on Jul 16, 2011 | Reply

No news. Frank I know you were hoping your owners were going to be able to impose 7yrs or more of restricted services, but that was never a possibility. Demaurice got his people their freedom. Those tender offers, as I predicted, Ira, meant nothing. That being said, it’s a fire drill for everyone. The Jets do have a slight advantage; players want to play for Rex. Under tight time constraints, what is that worth? Get ready for Moss( And don’t tell me, Ira, how you talked about that earlier this year). You were banking on those tender offers standing up. Get ready to OD on football boys. Tap those veins.

9. By Ferris on Jul 17, 2011 | Reply

A NY Jet legend. RIP Junior. You will be missed, my friend.

10. By Jam on Jul 17, 2011 | Reply

My condolences to all the Hampton family. R.I.P Junior.

11. By Jimmer on Jul 18, 2011 | Reply

Sione Pouha, ambassador of the Jets as well as the NFL has posted a new youtube-isode. Episode 4 is a family/kids version. Why is nobody else noticing Sione’s efforts to keep everyone’s blood pressure up?
    Good player, but awesome ambassador for the NFL in general.

12. By Sharon Hampton on Jul 18, 2011 | Reply

Bill Sr., my Dad Jimmy Hampton and my Aunt Chickie (Anita) are cousins. Although they didn’t keep in close contact after they started their families my Aunt Chickie always spoke very fondly of Bill Sr. My condolences and prayers go out to Bill Sr and all of the Hampton Family.

13. By uncle joe on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

My Condolences to the Hamptons

14. By uncle joe on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Well get ready,my Green Bleeding Peeps. Although I miss my football, I was OK with this Lockout because it gives teams less time to attack our roster. I am coming to grips with the fact that we might lose the majority of our FA being that teams have to spend the money and we can’t restrict anyone.Like Wayne said,having Rex is the tie breaker bidding against other teams,but to someone like Holmes who already won a Supe(and was MVP)he is probably just out to get as much money he can from ANY team & with the Redskins rumored to have him high on there list,he is as good as gone.

15. By uncle joe on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

The third year is the breakout year,and although I think Edwards is better than Holmes,could a guy like Patrick Turner,who has similar size to Edwards and experience with Sanchez from college,breakout and replace Braylon. It could be USC all over again with Sanchez,Joe McKnight,Turner and then throw in Mark’s best friend Mknight.

16. By uncle joe on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

The way I see it,if we lose Crow. we have Wilson who needs to step up & a hopefully revamped D-line to compensate.If we lose one of our 2 WRs,we still have J-Co(who is so underated it’s rediculous),2 rookie WRs( 1 of which probably knows the whole playbook from his best friend Sanchez)& Turner,on a run first ground and pound offense with arguably the best O-Line and a stacked stable of capable RBs(LT being GREAT out of the backfield).Oh yeah,a very good pass catching TE and hopefully TE Cumberland can do some things AND The TERMINATOR! I think we will be OK.Add in The Best Coach,Best GM and BEST Owner AND BEST WEBSITE,,,BRING ON FOOTBALL BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. By uncle joe on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

can’t see any players resigning with their teams in that window that they are talking about so I expect the Jets 1st move would be the signing of undrafted safety Lefeged. Would also love to see my two TEs come aboard,Zack Pianalto and Joe Torchia.

18. By uncle joe on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

Well from what I’m reading sounds like Tannenbaum has his work cut out for him. He did an AMAZING JOB last year with the REAL Core Four but,Cromartie now talking about teams he would play for if the Jets don’t pay him what he wants & Holmes on alot of teams’ wishlist. Lock down the Hitman( a REAL MAN) and Braylon,who clearly wants to stay and move on. Can’t wait for Revis to say he wants more money than Asumwhatever! Kyle Wilson better be in shape! Hey Randy,would we get complimentary picks if we lose Holmes and Crow?

19. By Randy Lange on Jul 19, 2011 | Reply

uncle joe, I don’t know the answer to that. As soon as we get details on the NFL landscape going forward, we’ll pass them on.

20. By hzr on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

“@ Frank, see what u started here….this is for condolences people, take ur concerns 2 other page, please….

21. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

uncle joe, I welcome your burst of ideas but I don’t see Rex and Mr. T relying overly on totally unproven guys, even if I’d rather do it that way and build a younger team slowly. If Mr. T can’t sign any of our FAs, he’ll just sign somebody else’s. J-Co has lost a step, was never a #1 WR, and has to recover from his back injury. Frankly — and this will stun GaryC — if this messed-up season is just going to be about FA madness, who care if we lose all 3 of Holmes, Edwards, and Cro as long as we sign guys on that level? I’m disgusted with SH and Cro’s ingratitude and it’s 50-50 whether BE ever stops screwing up off the field. Give me Jackson, Floyd, and Asomugha! (But I agree with GaryC that we need depth and not just expensive stars.)

22. By uncle joe on Jul 20, 2011 | Reply

Hey hzr,you’re right,sorry,my condolences again,,,see yall on the next Radar

23. By doug abercrombie on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

My condolences to Billy’s Jets family and all of the Hamptons. I was a childhood friend of Billy, Brian, Beth, the boys,in Bayshore. We had good times. Have very fond memories as do my brothers. What a great family. RIP Billy. -Doug in Charlotte

24. By Bob Borkowski on Oct 5, 2011 | Reply

RIP Junior from an oldtime friend, just heard yesterday 10-5. It ruined my day.

25. By Bobby Amore on Nov 13, 2011 | Reply

My condolences to the Hampton family. I knew Billy from SUNY. Brockport over 30 years ago. I was watching jets this evening and he came into my mind and was sadden to hear the news. I can say in the short time I knew him, he left a great impression on how he carried himself with his friends. It made me think of him enough to look him up 30 years later.Now that’s a special person.