• Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets special teams coordinator Thomas McGaughey, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 9:30 PM - 10:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Fri., Oct. 03, 2014 12:40 PM - 12:55 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Oct. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Mon., Oct. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Mon., Oct. 06, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 07, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Every Tuesday throughout the season, Jets fans can tune into Jets Extra Point, a weekly show that dissects the previous week's game with detailed analysis. The show will also feature exclusive interviews with Jets players and coaches. Host Brian Custer is joined by Ray Lucas, Tony Richardson, and a rotating panel of Jets on SNY analysts.
  • Wed., Oct. 08, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Thu., Oct. 09, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show hosted by Jeane Coakley with analysts Ray Lucas and Tony Richardson, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.

Hunter, Folk Fly Back East, Sign on Dotted Lines

Posted by Randy Lange on July 29, 2011 – 8:39 pm

The Jets did have a few free agent signings at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center tonight. No one was named Nnamdi, but two others made cross-country flights today to put their names to contracts and thus remain with the Green & White for the coming season.

Tackle Wayne Hunter and kicker Nick Folk were the two to sign today. Wide receiver Santonio Holmes, who was reported to have agreed to his new deal to stay with the Jets, was en route to the team facility to do the same.

Hunter, despite calling Washington State his home, said he and his family have really fallen in love with the New Jersey/New York area as their second home.

“There were a few teams interested,” Hunter told me and Eric Allen a short while ago. “But I told my agent to just focus on the Jets. The Jets are where I grew up as a player and especially as a man. And my family has really gotten used to this area. We were having a barbecue back in Washington when my agent called and tell me we had a deal. It was going to be a great barbecue anyway, but that just made it better.”

Hunter of course took over for the injured Damien Woody late in the season and into the playoffs and played strongly. He was asked if the RT job is now his to lose.

“I hope so,” he replied in classic football terms. “Nothing’s been set in stone. It’ll be a competition between me and Vlad [Ducasse]. I’ve got an opportunity and he’s got an opportunity and we’ll see who the best man is.”

Folk likewise will be competing for his job after the team brought in the well-traveled Nick Novak in February. Folk had his ups and downs last year but his ups were outstanding — a Jets-record-long 56-yard field goal plus five kickoff touchbacks in the Denver air, the game-tying and -winning kicks at Detroit, and the essential game-winner as time expired to beat the Colts in Indianapolis in the AFC Wild Card Game.

“I’d have to say the Indy kick was my best, jus because it kept us going, got us on a roll in the playoffs,” he said. “Now I’m ready to get back at it. The Jets are just a great organization, from Woody Johnson down to Mike Tannenbaum, Rex, Mike Westhoff, Ben Kotwica, and the guys in the locker room.”

Probably Folk’s closest friend in last year’s locker room won’t be around now because punter/holder Steve Weatherford agreed to a deal to join the Giants. But right there in the friendship category is snapper Tanner Purdum.

“I was out in California working out with John Carney and Steve — in fact, I caught a flight at 5 this morning and just got here at 5 this evening and signed the deal,” Folk said. “I haven’t got a new place back here yet and I don’t know when I could fit that in during camp, but Tanner told me I could stay with him as long as I want. He’s been great about the whole thing.”

More Transactions

Just now the Jets have announced some more transactions. Five are signings, including three draft choices — fourth-round RB Bilal Powell, seventh-round QB Greg McElroy and seventh-round WR Scotty McKnight. Also signed were two undrafted free agents, Missouri State OL Curtis Duron and Mississippi CB Jeremy McGee.

The team also announced the waiving of QBs Kevin O’Connell and Erik Ainge.

And in one more transaction just reported, former Jets DE Vernon Gholston signed with the Chicago Bears.

Tags: , , , , , ,

51 Responses to “Hunter, Folk Fly Back East, Sign on Dotted Lines”

1. By GaryC on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

so another draft pick wasted on oconnell, that is nothing new with this jet regime.

2. By IRA on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Wish VG the very best. Hated to see Drew leave i knew he would get a better offer from another team.
    Hunter was a solid signing and lets see what happens with Folk.
    Now on to the real story. I am happy Aso decided to sign elsewhere. I thought it would be real interesting to see how Rex would use him and Revis but it was a luxury that would’ve left holes in other spots on the team.
    Now please bring back Edwards and Cro or trade for Samuel like reports saying out there. Also would love to see them get their safety spots done.
    I always thought it would be wiser to invest in 2-4 players than to sign Aso.
    GO JETS!!!!

3. By scjoe on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Like the signing of Hunter, hate the resigning of Folk. There just has to be a better option then him. Don’t be to surprised to see Gholston have a break out year in Chicago as a 4/3 end where belongs. It was an expensive experiment that failed. Hope they learned by it and limit the “experiments” in the future.

4. By Hans on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Chi-town can keep Gholston in all of his bust glory. Hardly worth any penny we spent on him.

One good thing out of not getting Asomugha is that we can get BE back. Or maybe we’ll go after Plax or Moss. Who knows what’ll happen.

5. By kw65Fan on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

Now as the dust is settled, we will be hearing of a lot signings tomorrow (Sat) and hopefully a lot of our own players along with some that want to play for us. Our team will come to shape by Sunday…first day of camp. There will be a flurry of signings…and would not be suprised we wait and see what the Eagles will do now with there log-jam at CB. Samuels will be a very nice addition. or maybe we will get the other Cro…LOL

6. By Steven on Jul 29, 2011 | Reply

What a joke!
    We go and make players give up money, possibly make Cro and Braylon not want to come back, and what do we have to show for it? Resigning 3 players from last year, a bunch of nobody UDFAs, and squat!
    Do NOT let this be a Just End The Season year

7. By Clarke W. Griswald on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

We all know how the Gholston situation is gonna turn out, but i’m still gonna be monitoring that situation all season. If for nothing else then to laugh at Chicago fans who think it was a good pickup. I’m just a hater I guess.

8. By Clarke W. Griswald on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I was one who was definitely enamored with the Nnamdi acquisition, but now that it didn’t go through, i’m thinking it was all for the best. That’s alot of dough to shell out at one position and Aso isn’t even young like Revis. I wanted to see it done, but not at 12 mil a season.

9. By Clarke W. Griswald on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Wow I was just reading the Asomugha article on here and wow, we look like a bad fan base. People are giving up on the team, because we couldn’t sign some overpaid soon to be over the hill, cornerback. 12 mil a season isn’t worth it. Rex is a beast, have faith. IN REX I TRUST. -Clarke Griswald.

10. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

E Smith back for 3 yrs, Brunell signs for less $, Bryan and Conley to compete at P, Jets talking to Cro, Jones and Floyd (and Edwards) available (Jackson happy with SD tender), plenty of time to look for other DBs, LBs, even DL though Wilkerson and Ellis were supposed to handle that. So what’s the big deal about a few days chasing Aso? Mehta says Jets got tired of waiting for him and Coleman was made an offer but Jaguars outbid us. It’s only Friday so why panic? Given what an issue height is with our DBs, I’ll take 5’11” Lowery over 5’9′ Drew especially since the latter couldn’t cover. You wanna use a guy mostly on DB blitzes, I might be able to step in and get a sack or 2. And I’m cool with Floyd and Jones if no BE. I’ll stick with Mr. T!

11. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Happy to see Cimini agree with me, Arte, and others here that a rich 5-yr deal for a 30-yr-old CB is too much. I wouldn’t give any DB at that age 5 yrs, especially at that price. Mehta says Samuel is wrong for the Jets ’cause he can’t play man well enough and is better in zone but if there’s ever a coach who could bring out the best in that guy, it’s Rex. Smart for us to explore Jones (and Floyd) at the same time as talking to Edwards, I’m tired of worrying about BE’s next legal issue. I’m not as keen on Moss but if it’s a matter of money, it’s hard to argue with Holmes, Moss, and J-Co at WR for a yr or 2 before Kerley or B McKnight is ready to start. Still like to know what’s up with Akers, Folk could use more competition than just Novak.

12. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Finally V-G era is over tyvm Tanwoody …as usualy in typical Jets fashion no picks no compensation no compensatory notta pay though the nose for players lose good players .. ………(((.SIGN CRO AND B-E ))))what a slap in the face to fans Cro and B-E make me understand Mike -T please we have plenty to offer Nambi . but none to offer our guys Smith Cro and B-E?

13. By Tom Spicer on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Waiting around for Asomuhga we lost out on the best pass rusher in Ray Edwards going to the Falcons. We lost out in a great corner in John Joseph to the Texans & we lost out on a great WR in Sidney Rice to the Seahawks. DO NOT WAIT ANYMORE! Braylon is the best WR left on the board & Cromartie is the best corner left on the board sign them NOW. We are going to be significantly worse if we dont bring these guys back.

14. By Greg on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

SIGN BRAYLON!

15. By freddy santory on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

just a quick note to say good luck in philly mr n….seeems to me wasnt worth all that trouble and puts us behind the 8ball interms of gathering needed interest at the cb position…Mr. T just keep doing what your doing, still the best at what you do!

16. By Frank on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Glad this Asomugha folly is finally over he played TanWoody like a fiddle and it hurt us by wasting time. Letting Coleman go was a mistake glad they wasted no time resigning E. Smith another of my “we have to sign” guys. We should go hard after B. Edwards now he is the best WR out there….one thing everyone is overlooking is he is terrific in the run game and at this point a significantly better option than Moss. We also need to resign Pool I am not sure what they are thinking we are very thin at Safety and he clearly played great at the end of the season.

17. By GaryC on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

jet fan tom, not looking good if the jets have to go to the patriots hand me downs like asante samuel,for that matter the eagles hand me downs.jets and tanny were really caught with their pants down.best gm theory is out the window.

18. By Maurice Richard on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Hello Jets,
    I am a long time Jets fan, in fact the Jets are muy team since 1967. I have been desapointed many many times. I had joy, pride, shame, frustration…all the emotions and it never stoped me from being optimistic.
    But this year I am very disapointed and not too optimistic…I did not like at all all the fuss and frustration created by all this crap about a CB who is not as good as Revis.
    The Jets had a very good team last year, but they managed to make Edwards. Cromarti and Brad Smith very unhappy and now it looks like they are going to loose the 3 of them. Sad sad sad.
    Please don’t bring Moss in NY or you will loose me for the time he is going to be in NY. Anyway today I and a lot of my friends are sad for our team. Thanks.

19. By wayne on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Not hearing that name anymore feels almost as good as signing someone, anyone…..Been saying it all summer.BAD IDEA……Jets are leaking players. They’ve insulted a lot of guys….Don’t want to hear how these are grown men. People want to feel needed. This is their big oppty and if someone else is gonna show them some love, I’d tell the Jets see ya too…………………..Bye bye Drew….While Jets lose players, NE add to an already formidable team…….Spin however they want, this was AN unnecessary move………Go get a pass rusher and the obsession with lock down corners is alleviated. There were a couple out there, but other teams signed them……………..OOPS

20. By wayne on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Still say look into situation with Osi…………..Please with the 34 43 bull. He’s a pass rusher.

21. By wayne on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Now Cro and his agent, Asomugha’s agent, can run up the price on the wheeler dealers. One good turn deserves another…….This is a year where there is a decided advantage to keeping your core players and acquire veterans. Jets are doing the opposite. Everything from this point on is catch up. They’ll vets to fill spots, but they won’t be as good as their own guys or the guys they let saunter by……….AND BY THE WAY, DARRELLE REVIS HAS A NEW PRICE TARGET. YOU HELPED HIM GET IT. WITHOUT PLAYING ANOTHER DOWN. CONGRATS.

22. By Frank on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

For the life of me I don’t know what TanWoody is thinking. If they don’t resign Edwards, Cromartie and Pool this team will be in serious trouble considering we already lost Smith and Coleman. We went to the AFC Championship game with these guys and there is no one out there better and more importantly familiar with our system in this strike shortened season.
    TanWoody made a huge mistake letting Asomugha string them along all week and not getting this deal done is seriously setting this team back. I am sure all our FA’s feel slighted and will demand more money than what they could have been had for before this ill advised attempt. They should have given him one day to make a decision and then moved on now they have serious egg on their face

23. By kw65Fan on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

One down…more to come this Saturday…Eric Smith has signed on for 3 years.
    Braylon next…then Cro…OR the other Cro…Poole and Digs….strenghthen that secondary…don’t see anyone else bettet so bring back those that know the system and have played HARD for us and loyal. Do it Mr. T

24. By Tom Spicer on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Well now they are saying we are trying to get Cromartie back but we will not sign back Braylon. I dont know why he was a great player for us & he is the best WR left out there. I also heard they offered Moss a deal & he wanted to much money so now they are looking to sign Plax. I do not want Plax he is 34, has not played football in years, is not a team player, misses meetings or does not come to them period & is the clown who shot himself in a club with a illegal gun. This is what we have come to? We wont sign back a guy with a dwi but we will sign a guy who shoots himself with an illegal gun? Can someone explain this to me cause I dont get it? We have a game in 2 weeks are you telling me after years out of the game Plax is going to know

25. By Tom Spicer on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

the play book & be ready to play pro football in 2 weeks? Are we looking to win a championship or are we just interseted in signing the biggest name possible so we can sell tickets & psl’s?

26. By Frank on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Spicer you and I are on the same page for once.

27. By GaryC on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

seeing we don’t like draft choices, maybe we can trade a couple for Brad Smith, seriously,lets get serious, doubt the jets will find a pass rusher,what about ernie sims,a linebacker with speed who can cover, panthers traded for olsen, so they have him and shockey. other teams use double tightends, keller and zach miller would be great combo,both block and can get down the field.

28. By Walt on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I heard that we just signed donald strickland cornerback.He should be able to replace Drew. I do not know why we signed him for only one year.He has a tendacy to get hurt which should be allright as long as we only use him as a nickleback.If he can play the whole season we could have a knockout season in the secondary.

29. By Tim on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

*************(The JETS need a a TALL RECEIVER!!!!

Why not (BRAYLON EDWARDS)? EDWARDS knows the JETS OFFENSE. EDWARDS showed last year that he can (CATCH) the ball and (BLOCKS WELL)!!!!

Why not RESIGN BRAYLON EDWARDS)**************

30. By scjoe on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Looks like most of the things I didn’t want to happen are happening. Not signing Aso, not resigning BE, resigning Folk, resigning Brunell, So far the only good thing was resigning SH, and that only equals status quo. On paper it looks like we took a step back and NE took a step forward. Good thing football games are not played on paper!

31. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Typical New York fan crybaby nonsense: Spicer, you expect to go after Joseph and Aso at the same time? You seriously think Joseph is even in Aso’s league? And then you whine when we don’t get Aso? I’ll bet if we’d gone after Joseph, you’d say we should’ve gone after Aso. GaryC, if anything Samuel’s gotten better on PHI, he didn’t leave NE ’cause they didn’t want him, he left because PHI paid him more. And to several of you guys, all yr you said we can’t sign SH and BE, now you’re ready to riot if we don’t sign BE? Cimini says again today Jets are eyeing Jones, have none of you read that? And I read another report BE wants too much $. It’s childish to expect SH and BE to just take what we want them to take, it doesn’t work that way.

32. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

What’s with going on about Smith when we obviously didn’t want him back? Schotty scouted Kerley, less KRs with the rule change, Kerley’s a great WR and Smith’s a lousy one and Kerley also returns punts. BUF has listed Smith as a QB, HELLO, they’re going to try Wildcat junk while we’re finally gonna see if Sanchez can be elite or not, like we shoulda all along for $50 mil. And WHAT is this nonsense about “wanting to feel needed,” “show them some love”? MJV, is that really tough old you crying about “a slap in the face” to Cro, a player who tackles like he’s slapping somebody? Some of you guys are talking like we didn’t lock up everyone we wanted for what we wanted to pay in less than a week so the season’s over. That’s “Same Old Jets” FANS!

33. By nycmike on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

To Jet management, stop wasting time. You have already lost Brad Smith to a Division rival in pursuit of a cornerback that wasn’t really needed. Just go and resign Edwards and Cromartie. Why waste time talking to Moss or Buress. Edwards is a known commodity who already fits into the Jets game plan. Don’t mess up on this

34. By Ray on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Hi Randy, long time since I stopped in… I was holding my own personal lockout. Sorry I won’t get to see you or the Jets in Cortland this year. I would have to agree with the majority of these comments, Jest wasted alot of precious time trying to sign Namdi, lost out on several guys because of it. And we had too many other holes to fill to put all our eggs in that basket. Hate to see the Daily New saying we aren’t going after Edwards because we can’t fit him under the cap? Between not signing Namdi and if they get Harris signed to a long term deal they have plenty of cap space. I don’t trust the “Moss of old” talk, or that Burress can be effective anytime soon. Cro, Pool, Edwards… be done with it…

35. By Ray on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Just saw I wrote “Jest” I wonder if that was some subliminal fear of how this is going to turn out?!!

36. By Stikky on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Now that Nnamdi is in Philly, I’m glad the Jets play them this year. This is the plan: line up Wayne Hunter on offense as TE, with the sole intent of breaking Mr. Asomugha. Let’s see how much the Eagles like their broken $60million toy.

37. By johnny a on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Losing asomougha is not that big of a deal as long as we allocate the funds to cromartie anda big receiever. Why not the guy we know well who wants to come back??? theres no reason they cant resign edwards. theres no reason to brake up that tandem , actually trio, of holmes, edwards and cotchery. They got strickland who knows the system and whose injury killed them in the conference championship game against ind, to play nickeli. that final td doesnt happen with 20 seconds in the first half if strickland was in coverage rather than that spoonge who just took his 5’5′ frame to jaxsonville Good riddANCE. IF THEY DO NOT COME OUT OF THIS WITH CROMARTIE, BURRESS, or cro/ EDWARDS, Cro/fLOYD, THEN THEY HAD A DISASTER OF AN OFF SEASON

38. By Dug on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Clarke & Tom, it’s refreshing to read your positive posts. There’s so many things to be upset about or thankful for.We have been through alot of ups & downs the last 2 seasons & ended playing for the AFC championship IN BOTH..
    We’ve had very good leadership for the most part and it’s to bad we have all of this negative posting where some of us feel we know more than paid staff of The Jets.It’s really a good time to be a Jet’s fan.Remember those improbable
    road wins last year ? Again, thanks for the positive posts !

39. By kw65Fan on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I never seen a bunch of cry baby morons in all my life. There is still a bunch of free agents out there and many of ours still not signed. Mr. T will get it done. He has no intention of fielding a mediocre team for Rex. Don’t know how you put up with all the naysayers Tom64. I don’t think any of them have ever been in a 3 point stance unless there kissing there wives (gf’s) feet or ever have the feeling of blindsiding a QB making him lose his helmet and football. god, what a fealing. we’ll get the players and Rex will have them ready. So calm down all you Mickey D’s Ice tea drinkers so hyped up….management will get it done.

40. By Tom Spicer on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I do not understand what Mr.T & Woody are thinking we are on the cusp of winning a championship. Did you ever hear the saying if it aint broke than dont fix it? Championship teams keep there own. Also if we dont sign Cromartie we gave a 2nd round pick to rent him for 1 year & we gave a 3rd & a 5th round pick for Braylon for a year & 3/4. These are bad moves Mr. T if you are not going to keep these guys long term do not trade multiple high draft picks for these guys anymore PLEASE!

41. By kw65Fan on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Very strong feeling that reason why Braylon is still out there even though he is better than most receivers in the free agency craziness…is very good chance he will be suspended first 4 games of year for his DUI and also second incident against league rules…currently getting additional probation time for his incident in Cleveland. Would not be suprised if they are waiting to here what Goodell will be saying to all those that were bad little boys this off season or on items in limbo from last year (Braylons DUI) before informing them of any suspensions. Why do you think teams have shyed away from Benson in Cincy, he is going to get smacked hard.

42. By E Kass on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

All this Drew Coleman love is just hilarious. The guy was a decent, undersized dime back.

And BE is a good WR, but no better or worse than Malcolm Floyd. Also, while Plax has been out of football for a couple years, he has the perfect skill set to compliment Holmes.

Jets fans saying if we don’t sign Cro and BE than our season is over just don’t know very much about football. Simple as that. One player on either side of the ball will never make or break a season — especially considering that neither was #1 at their position. I really don’t get the fuss about Cro — he was oftentimes out of position and committed a lot of dumb penalties. Sure he is a freak athlete, but he doesn’t even tackle.

43. By kw65Fan on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

My Lord…make it sound like Brad Smith is this super All-Pro Superman. People, he worked very well in a system with ST. Look at all the other players that had success in the ST system before him. ITS THE SYSTEM and COACHING. Kerley will have the same success…even more so as a WR, in which /Smith was NOT. Just the ignorant ‘wildcat’…hopefully seen the last of that. With kickoffs shortened…returns will be less…and you would need mre speed at that position and quickness. Happy he got his money…def overpaid.

44. By SAL on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

rex for the love of god bring back wreb and cro

45. By GaryC on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

jet fan tom, I don’t know if you heard the rumor the other day that jets might look at ronnie brown so they can continue the wildcat,don’t have a heart attack.Also you find more guys to throw under the bus once they don’t sign as jets or they leave the jets.Aso was the greatest thing on turf until he spurned the jets.that is your rex and tanny not doing their due diligence.Asante Samuel is just a smaller version of cromartie,boom or bust, go for the interception or get burned and neither one can tackle a mannequin.

46. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

Thanks, Dug and kw65, back at you, welcome back Ray, and I’m with you, E Kass ‘cept Floyd, who I see the Jets now want, is better than BE. GaryC, I’ve read a lot of stuff but nothing on Jets keeping the Wildcat. Aso’s a tremendous player but I started to back off when they reworked other guys’ deals to get him and I NEVER dreamed they were talking 5 yrs, I woulda said 3 at most, PHI will get burned on that deal. Samuel’s been to the Pro Bowl more than Cro will ever go, tackles better, and he’s picked off more passes than any Jet since Bill Baird, so I’ll take a shot on him. Cimini says “a strong market hasn’t developed” for BE, says that BE “wants to be paid like a #1 WR.” I love BE but a #1 WR wins games by himself like Holmes did last yr.

47. By Ray on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I wasn’t as impressed with Floyd… I would rather have BE, he drops some balls but is a tough blocker and wants to be here. He isn’t a great #1 but he IS a great #2 receiver…

48. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 30, 2011 | Reply

I agree that Edwards is a great #2 and has skills that go beyond pass-catching, Ray. But he may have hit the wall with his off-the-field stuff, at least as far as the Jets’ brass is concerned, and I remember being surprised when he started criticizing fellow Jets and questioning their desire in the press only about 6 wks after he got here in 2009. That kind of thing may have caught up with him around the league. At any rate, I think Ira’s right on the Kerley signing story when he suggests that teams are wary of BE until they know whether he’s going to be suspended or not. In a yr as messed up as this yr, missing a starter for 4 games is a bigger deal than usual, which is why SF’s looking for a WR to replace Crabtree while he’s out injured.

49. By Tom Spicer on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Cullen Jenkins the best Packers lineman from last year a guy who played in a 3-4 & would have been a great addition for us just signed with the Eagles. Can someone wake up Mr.T & tell him free agency started.

50. By Tom Spicer on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Tom 64, I never said sign Aso & Joseph. i said we could have signed Joseph or Cromatie instead of waiting on Aso.

51. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Jul 31, 2011 | Reply

Of course you never said sign Aso and Joseph, Spicer, but you implied that by going after Aso we missed out on Joseph and I meant that by going after Joseph we woulda missed out on Aso, which is only common sense. I agree with Cimini that I don’t think the Jets are that thrilled with Cro, who didn’t seem to sufficiently become a Rex-type D guy, so I’m not surprised at the state of things today. As for Jenkins, that’s ANOTHER 30-yr-old D guy that PHI has given a 5-yr-deal. I say that’s too much and you’re better off drafting your own DL guys, like we did. Seems to me only a yr ago a lot of folks on this site were saying don’t pick up older FAs but build thru the draft. I don’t think we should lose sight of that goal just ’cause PHI has.