• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Replay Jets Open Mic on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences
  • Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game

More Change Ahead on Wideout Depth Chart?

Posted by Eric Allen on August 4, 2011 – 2:12 pm

The Jets’ picture at receiver may continue to change. Four days after signing Plaxico Burress, numerous media outlets have indicated the Jets have interest in inking free agent Derrick Mason to a contract.

Head coach Rex Ryan didn’t confirm anything regarding Mason but did say that he knows the competitive wideout well.

“I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen him launch his helmet in offense vs. defense deals,” Ryan said at today’s daily news briefing. “We had our share of rips at each other on the sidelines, all that kind stuff. I just know the kind of competitor he is. He’s a super intense guy, he’s a good person, and I know he wants to win more than anything.”

Mason, a wideout with 14 seasons on his résumé including his most recent stint with the Ravens from 2005-09, has been ultra-productive throughout his career and reached the 1,000-yard receiving mark eight of the past 10 years. The 37-year-old, a 5’10”, 197-pounder, is a Michigan State alum and actually played one season at MSU with Burress.

Moments after Ryan declared that WR Jerricho Cotchery was close to returning to action, J-Co echoed those thoughts but sounded as though his days may be coming to a close in green and white.

“Things happen. That’s life,” he said. “I’ve been here a long time, so I’ve seen some things take place where guys don’t get to finish their careers here. I thought Chad Pennington would have been here forever, but one night in the preseason he’s gone in the hotel. That’s the business of the NFL, that’s the way it works. Right now my focus is I’m ready to play football and I’m healthy.”

Cotchery, a fourth-round pick of the Jets in 2004, was slowed last season by a herniated disk and finished fifth on the club with 41 receptions. But he was the team’s leading pass catcher and reception yardage leader in 2009 (57-821), ’08 (71-858) and ’07 (82-1,130).

While it may take Burress some time to get back up to speed after a two-year absence from the NFL, the Jets are excited about the prospects of lining the 6’5”, 232-pounder across from the scintillating Santonio Holmes.

“He’s a fun dude to be around,” Cotchery said of Burress. “It seems like everything that comes out of his mouth is funny and he likes the mood around here. … He’s a pleasure to be around. I think he’ll be a big help to Mark.”

Cotchery had offseason back surgery and has started training camp on the PUP list. The only thing for certain right now is that he is close to playing again.

“I’m OK. I’ll be all right,” Cotchery told reporters. “I’m healthy right now.”

Tags: , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 123 Comments »

123 Responses to “More Change Ahead on Wideout Depth Chart?”

1. By sbj on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Is there anything official yet on how much cap space the Jets have left to work with?

2. By Randy Lange on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

sbj, salary cap information is not something that we post officially on newyorkjets.com. Maybe a Radar regular has some info on cap space?

3. By GaryC on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

especially with this season coming up the jets keep bring in mid 30’s players.the older the player the better chance he tweaks a hamstring or pulls a muscle. short training camp,older player signings,doesn’t mesh.thank goodness dolphins signed Jason Taylor,he might of been around the corner.

4. By wayne on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

I’m bettin there’ll be more changes. Plax has had ankle problems for more than a while now. Older guy going from zero to 60mhp after 2yr of zero. Older big guy carrying that weight. Ankle problems don’t get cured as you get older. Plax has never been a fast healer…………………………………………………………………………………M…

5. By wayne on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

The changes will take place in the season…………………………………..M…

6. By Jon M on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

I heard they have something like $7.6 million right now

7. By Eric on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Cap space is not the issue. I’m really upset about it, because it says the Jets have no loyalty to any player – at least not to the ones who die-hard, long-time fans like me care about most. But, maybe Cotchery wanted this to increase his playing time and try to be a starter again. Unless this was Cotchery’s idea, I’ve just gone from excited about my team to luke-warm about their team.

8. By Tom on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Letting go of Cotchery is a big mistake, a mistake as a longtime jet fan I really don’t want to see. Jericho was Mr.consistancy, a really solid homegrown dependable hard working reciever. He’s a really good person a class act, someone kids can look up to and try to emulate(which is a hard find on this recieving core) a voice in that lockerroom, and in many ways I see him more as the face of the jets then Sanchez, who is still becoming a leader. But sentimental reasons aside, it just doesn’t make sense to cut or trade him now. He is coming off an injury, but I still think he can be a safer bet -play and healthwise than a 37yr old. He knows the system, has chemistry with Sanchez. Money? They have to spend the money anyway!

9. By mark Pearl on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Now Brad Smith is easy to be replaced! Hogwash!
    He will be missed. And Kerley is about 3-4″ smaller than Smith.
    Jets made mistake on this one.
    And Westoff walks on water on this site. He has to be taken to task for some of last year’s ST gaffs. Is he behind the Steve Weatherfod cut?
    Jets finished 6th in ko ret. Not bad. But punt ret ave. was 9.6 yds. Only average. Best move he made was putting Cro on returns at end of yr.
    Westoff is an overrated coach the last 2 years who is going on reputation only.

10. By Chicago Bob on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

ESPN has reported that J-CO will be released – this is extremely depressing. He has been a loyal soldier for so long and now to have this happen really brings things down. With all of the money Mr T has been throwing around, I can’t believe he could not work those contracts a little harder to have enough money to keep Cotchery. Unless his injury is more serious than anyone is letting on, this does not make much sense. I see where Rex has said they would take back Braylon Edwards if he took less money – I would much rather have a team-first, class act like Cotchery than Edwards any day or a 37 year old receiver (Mason). If you want to cut someone, start with Brian Thomas – he has been nothing but a disappointment since we wasted a #1 on him

11. By JMURRAY on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

DON”T LET COTCHERY GO! HE”S A CLASSY AND CLUTCH PLAYER !

12. By Brian Cooper on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Cutting Cotchery would be a horrific mistake. Guy is a true Jet, a tough guy, a team player, a selfless worker and a Patriot killer.

I will be utterly disgusted if J-Co is let go by the Jets. We need more guys like him – team leaders who bleed for the team – we shouldn’t be casting them aside to save a few bucks.

13. By scjoe on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

sbj, last I heard they were about 6mil under the cap. But I do believe that was before the Pool resigning.

14. By carl on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Hey E.A. whats up with the Big Cat? Jet fans want him signed! Go Jets!!

15. By Frankie on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Very saddened by J-Co getting released. He has such a good character and I will never forget that catch he made against the Browns last year. One of my favorite Jets and I wish him the best of luck.

16. By Zig on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

So getting maybe rid of Cotchery for an old Derrick Mason? Really? Cotchery is still young has great hands and knows the playbook. With weird year of free agency there is little time to learn the playbook. And why are getting older players I guess this a run for the Bowl this year, next year we will be sitting the same stupid spot trying to sign 2 more receivers. Sanchez was comfortable with Holmes, Edwards and Cotchery. Now he needs to get comfortable with Burris (who hurt himself already) and maybe Mason. I see this stuff and it makes me start to say “Same old Jets”. Let’s hope not. Go Jets!

17. By SGM on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Dump VLAD keep Ihedigbo, what is there to think about. if he hasnt got the playbook down yet then get rid of him. I knew this last year.

18. By carl on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Where”s Chad Pennington? Is he playing? He would be a great coach! A good mentor for Mark?Go Jets!!!

19. By SGM on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

just post my last one Randy, it needs to be said

20. By rick on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

mason for J-co??? hes 38. j-co is clutch (especially vs Pats) while ive seen mason drop big passes over and over for b-more. Last year playoffs ring a bell?? not a good move if it happens.

21. By brett on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Cotchery will be missed if he is let go. He’s been my favorite Jet the past few years. He’s a dark horse player that can change games…guys got heart.

22. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Rex isn’t that interested in character or role models for kids or loyalty or charitable works, he’s interested in winning a SB. That’s probably more surprising for Jet fans to take than most, considering how long this franchise has had low expectatations for itself. As for J-Co, I see a lot of “was” in these posts. Right now he’s PUP and like I said a few days ago, they want to hit the ground running. Fact is Mason’s “off yr” of 2010 was close to J-Co’s best yr in many ways. Also seems clear the idea is to rotate these vet WRs, except for Holmes, in and out while grooming the young guys. Some of you keep saying you wanna see Turner, Kerley, etc. you’ll see ‘em faster than you think. Like it or not, this franchise is about winning big now.

23. By wayne on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Looking at Plax I see problems ahead healthwise. He looks stacked up top, but that was never his problem. His wheels were. As we get older, tendency is to compensate by getting bigger and more buff up top, when what we need to do is to work harder to maintain flexibility and strength in hips and legs…..His 2yr vacation might have allowed him to get buff, but I don’t think it helped his legs. I would be more encouraged if he lost some weight. Don’t believe those ankles will carry him well……………..Go to any gym and watch the old guys trying to keep ahead of their bellies by getting their arms and chest bigger, when all they really need to do is work on their legs, butt and stomach which are all benefited by the same exercises.

24. By tom on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

I don’t normally post anything about these types of issues becuase this is the business end of football, but I have to post this. Cotchery has been a solid wideout for the Jets since he has been on this team and I have enjoyed watching him. Do not let this guy go, try and restructure his deal, whatever it takes.

25. By Ferraro41 on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

SBJ and Randy….For information on cap space, check out http://www.nyjetscap.com. Jason does an awesome job of keeping track of those things

26. By GaryC on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

cotchery would be one of the few jets that you would be proud to wear his jersey,says a lot about the type of character this regime is looking to.Woodhead,Washington,Smith and now Cotchery let go.you are telling Sanchez now he has to get used to 2 new receivers.ridicuolous,If it is third down and I need a first down cotchery the one I’m looking too.

27. By Jerry Coffman on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Any news on T-Rich?S. Ellis?Ihedibo?And now possibly cutting Cotchery? I couldn’t disagree with this move more. In the NFL, championship teams are not signed on the dotted line. Sure they give you a shot with talent alone, but consistency is the name of the game. No one player on the Jets roster defines consistancy more the Cotchery. In clearly the most important season of Sanchez’s development we need to retain a guy like J-co. I know he is not the #1, or #2, but hell he could probably read you the playbook blindfolded. No doublt this would help Burress. Not sure how limited his surgery will make him, but his sure hands will be needed for punt returns (sounds like we will use a committee this season). I am a fan of change, but not this one

28. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

I’ll also reframe things for some younger Jet fans: For almost their entire history and certainly since the early ’70s, the rap on the Jets has been they lack killer instinct. They lacked it when they lost the KC playoff game, lacked it when Weeb got more and more conservative on O, lacked it when Todd didn’t measure up, and in my view really only gained some of it with Herm. (“Hello, you’re trying to win the game!”) Rex is only a few yrs younger than me and I guarantee you he remembers all this in a very painful and personal way, look at the way he talks about “the decal.” (I actually prefer the ’80s Jet logo.) Rex isn’t just a coach, he’s a man on a mission to change the culture of this team and he’s “getting after it,” to use his phrase.

29. By Tom Spicer on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Chicago Bob, I agree if you are going to cut someone cut Bryan Thomas a bust from day 1. Cotchery is a true Jet who gives everything he has got.

30. By Karan on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

This is a sad day for the jets organization. Really disappointed in the GM and the rest of the staff. Releasing a veteran like Cotchery who is as clutch and loyal as he was to the Jets is an insult. I love my team but I absolutely hate this move. Mason is like 37, I mean, wow, he is not going to be able to replace cotchery. BIg, ig mistake guys, it’s most likely going to come back to haunt us later. Best of luck to you, J-Co, I’ll miss the heck outta ya, you’re a Jet in my mind forever.

31. By Tom on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Keep J-Co. He’s one hell of a player and team mate. He will make a great compliment to Burress and Holmes. Who’s a better posession receiver than J-Co in the NFL? Mike and Rex you should keep J-Co on the roster.

32. By Brian Cooper on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Terrible decision. Simply terrible.

All the best to J-Co, a true Jet and a class act.

Disgusted with this decision.

33. By Jake on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think cutting hard working honest players is the way to follow up on a Superbowl guarantee.

34. By E Kass on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

BAD MOVE IN A SHORT OFFSEASON

35. By Chicago Bob on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Got a bad feeling about this one, I can see Belichick grabbingJ-Co as a way of sticking it to us.

36. By Charliejet on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

There may be more to J-Co’s back injury then we know…. hate to see him go. What game was that last year when he pulled his groin and made a catch? Class guy low key – steady player.

37. By G. Greene on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

hey-

I’ve been reading all the posts about the release of Jericho C. Getting beyond the dissapointment of the move, I can’t help but think that as many others have written, he’s injured to a point where he won’t be playing anytime soon.
    Think about it…He had back surgery six months ago to repair a herniated disk.
    I’m willing to bet that the guy can’t even jump up and down at this point w/out pain. One of my favoriate Jets and I wish him the best but I can’t help thinking this is a health issue. Back/spinal injuries are difficult to start with and he’s been on his own I would think trying to rehab…We have to get the whole story before judging the situation. Going to Mason just to save $$ makes to little sense to me.

38. By Perk93 on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Jets again make stupid mistakes…
    Letting Brad go, now he is with the Bills.
    Cotchery… a TRUE JET… I would not be suprised if Buffalo, Miami, or N.E don’t get hime to sigm.
    I DONT UNDERSATND SOME OF THE DECISIONS THE JETS MAKE.

39. By Jim on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Hey Randy, as you can see Jets fans are not happy with the release of J-Co. How about shedding some light on this? Why? No statement on this from the organization. The fans should be given an explanation. On the surface it makes no sense. J-Co was one of the most beloved Jets since Chrebet.

40. By BrianRNJ on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Cotchery and Shaun Ellis have put their blood, sweat and tears out on the field for the Jets and deserve better treatment than the team is giving them. Ellis can still play and bring along the new guys. Make Cotchery a receivers coach for a year while his back heals. Mr. Johnson, as a CEO, should know… you get what you pay for. Treat people like throwaway items and you will get the same loyalty (or lack thereof) in return. And the team will still be looking for a Super Bowl 10 years from now.

41. By rsterry on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Releasing Cotch makes no sense unless his back is really messed up! He made the catch that Rex showed everybody last year with a pulled groin….I am starting to question the receiver moves that Rex and Tannenbaum are making, we need to get younger not older!

42. By kk on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

This is to bad, we all want to keep a player like cotchery I’m not sure what Mason will bring to the table besides a smaller cap number. Cotchery was clutch played hurt and was a true professional. I wish him well and hope this won’t be another player that will come back to bite us. Maybe San Diego will pick him up so he can be back with his College QB. He deserves a happy ending!!

43. By Rob on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

I really hope these guys know what in the heck they are doing, cause it sure looks like they don’t. Braylon just signed for $3.5M in SF, yet we didnt have the money to sign him…. what a joke. I think Mike T is out-thinking himself.

44. By freddy santory on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Hey this is the nfl…and things happen, but before I get emotional that Cot is released I think about all that the team did for him as well….Bad back is a big chance and teams out there are getting deeper and faster at key posiitons…Think you should look up a solid receiver thats an upgrade, mason may not be, but if thats the best you can do, lets role the dice. the moves have made the jets better at key places, you can t risk going in on things that will take a long time to heal….Plex is a player, he will work out even if it takes time, bring in another big receiver for the slot, thats a major move

45. By WALT on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

I do not understand this move at all. You release a young vibrant and now healthy wide receiver like Jericho Cotchery and then sign the ancient one Derrick Mason.You would think with all the receivers the Jets have on the roster draftess free agents undrafted free agents etc. they could find a few that could play the game.The Jets need to develop some new talent not sign a receiver that is should retire.

46. By scjoe on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

64, I think you hit it on the head when you say that the only WR who is assured of being on the team at the start of the 2012 season would be Holmes. Therefore I believe the top targets in the draft or even free agency next year would be WR followed closely by safety. I would prefer they come out of the draft, but one way or another those should be and probably will be the top priorities. Yes, I know it is way to early to be talking about next season so there is no need for anyone to remind me of that.

47. By TONY GARCIA on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

season has not started jet fans already complaining.jet fan since 1969 been thru ups and downs were on the right track let things play out at least until game 4 of season.

48. By fred on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

I really thought the Jets were having a good off season until this J- Co one of my favorite all time Jets & talk about a team player -I know about the Parcells rule better a year to early than to late but we are talking about one of the toughest Jets ever. I think the locker room takes a hit with this move & don’t be surprised with T-Rich not comming back either

49. By chris on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

first brad smith now J.Co Big mistakes. I think this one will come back to haunt them. You can not replace what Cotchery was for that team. This is the worst move i have seen them make in years. I dont care who you get in his place

50. By scjoe on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Braylon Edwards signs a one year 3.5 mil contract with SF. WE, on the other hand sign Plaxico Burriss who spent the past two years in the slam to a one year 3.0 mil contract. Does anyone else besides me think there is something very wrong with that? I know BE may have some legal issues (we should all be used to that by now) but don’t Plax have some issues with the extended lay off as well? Based on the two contracts I don’t see why BE is not a NY Jet!

51. By ghareeb on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Is there any chance that we can sign joey porter we can use his pass rush ability we need him and randy moss.

52. By ghareeb on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

We need another safety can we sign Dashon Goldson

53. By GaryC on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

all I know is when the jets needed a punt returner when leonard got hurt it was cotchery, he did not go against the coaching staff like another prominent receiver on this team and say he wouldn’t do it. but that receiver has signed a big contract and jerricho is let go.that says a lot to the veterans who have been teammates of cotchery.and to some who says the jets are trying to change the culture,you can still change culture without being what the cincinnati bengals would do.Like I have said many times,you win with character, you lose with characters.

54. By Tommy on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

WOW huge mistake we need reliable guys like J. Co the Jets need to reconsider here. If not Mason can’t shine J. CO’s shoes!! Lets go guys bring him back now he is a true team player.

55. By Tom Setaro on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

THIS IS A CRIME! J-CO, was my favorite Jets player. He moved into the #1 spot at WR when the team needed him. He was a steady performer, clutch, played hurt (see Cleveland catch), and still reasonably young at 29. What bothers me more, is what is this organization telling their players. You get a guy like J-Co who is with the team his whole career, good and bad, … he’s a charity worker, respected in the locker room, leader, all around Good Good Guy and you release him? For what a 37 year old who has a brash mouth?
    Last year, another hard worker we saw on Hard Knocks, called Danny Woodhead was let go and we saw what he can do in a Patriots uniform. Now J-Co? Somebody better do a review on all MT’s trades. I am disgusted by this.

56. By wayne on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

This receiving corp gets any older, they’re gonna have to start handing out walkers. You know, the ones with the 2 wheels on the front, for extra maneuverability………………Know lot of you don’t like it but that move is gonna happen…..This whole thing is set up for a big letdown………………M..s………………………..If the running game sparkles early, they’ll be able to weather the early rust with Sanchez, Plax, Mason and the rest getting in sync. If the running is weak and this falls on Sanchez early………..I truly hope one day this kid shuts me up, but until then both he and Greens are question marks.

57. By Nutterz on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Very saddened to hear that J-Co is gone…He was very much a quiet leader on that team and deserves the utmost respect. I believe the injury is worse than anyone is letting on…#89 should not be worn by anyone, at least for a while…

I wish J-Co the best, I hope he lands with someone OUT OF THE AFC EAST and can prove to another team his worth, which is HUGE…

I will never forget your contributions to the Jets and especially the GROIN CATCH!

GO JETS

58. By Karan on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Wow, so apparently new news that Cotchery actually asked to be released. Rex and Sanchez tried their best to convince him to stay but he felt like it was time for a change. I don’t why Cotchery would ask for a release but I have a feeling it was because Plax got signed. Cotchery wanted his old spot back. Ehh, this is all to depressing. And also new word that the patsies have called in Shaun Ellis to practice. I have to say besides resigning Holmes, this is a really bad offseason for the jets. I don’t understand whats going on especially with the eagles hogging all the players.

59. By Jetsman on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

This is ridiculous. We let BE go for $3.5m, we get Plax for $3.017m. Don’t get me wrong, I love Plax, but I honestly would’ve liked to have BE back instead. Don’t be surprised if we get him back after this year though, when Burress’ deal runs out just like BE’s does. Braylon said he’d always love Jets Nation on Twitter, so maybe that means he’d like to come back if there’s a chance for him to do that. After getting throws from Alex Smith for a year, trust me, I think he’ll want to come back to the Big Apple.

As with Cotch, I was pretty angry when I heard he was released, but when I read he asked for a trade/release, it softened it. I guess he wants to be at least a #2 receiver. He has the talent for it, and he didn’t want to be #3 again.

60. By WALT on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Is anyone listening out there J Co is the one who asked to be released.I for one would have made him honor his contract.It may have been that the Jets did not want a disgruntled player on their roster.Who knows he may have wanted his contract renegotiated.The Jets are not saying anything other than J Co asked to be released.I do not agree that we should sign a 37 year old receiver but I have confidence we can replace J Co with either someone on the roster now or a trade or a free agent.We are solid at every other position.

61. By IRA on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

scjoe, Very good point about Edwards except there is no way this guy is not getting suspended by the NFL. He will miss 2 -4 games for sure.
    Once again very sad about J- Co i was one of his biggest supporters over the years. Just hope Mason can deliver if they sign him.
    On a better note Kerley was outstanding today. This kid is a lock to be a very good football player as long as he can stay healthy. Quick,excellent route runner and S. Moss type of hands.
    Cro had a few nice breakups and Revis was beat by Kerley on one play but Sanchewz was flushed out of the pocket and didn’t throw the ball.
    Finally a real practice.

62. By Matt on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Deion Sanders didnt even stay on the same team his whole career. I’m a big J-co fan but at the of the day he wanted to be released maybe he felt like he was at least a number 2 wr which is truth to some point and he probably didn’t like the trade rumors and Mason being brought in for a visit. So he probably felt disrespected and decided it was time to go at at least could choice what team he wanted to go 2. he’ll probably be a Giant by next week. But this org needs 2 start being loyal 2 players

63. By Troy on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

JUST A FLAT OUT BAD MOVE ..to let J-CO go..It wont take long for us Jet fans to see him again playing with the Patriots along side Big Cat Ellis…And someone explain how we couldnt retain Braylon on a 1yr 3.5 mill dollar deal,the guys play last year warranted that easily.In a year where your looking for Mark to make a huge leap your making it very hard on him with now having no chemstry with any of the WR’s outside of Holmes…Mason has been thinking of reitiring in each of the last 3 preseasons he still formidable but not on Cotch’s level.Only thing that would make this OK is if we can land the Floyd kid out of San Diego..For Rex & Tanny to say this team is better right now roster wise than in Jan. is a Joke. Step back in my eyes??

64. By Tom Spicer on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

We cut Cotchtery ARE YOU KIDDING ME BAD MOVE!

65. By JetsReality on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Good move letting Cotchery go. Let’s face it, he made some great plays but the 1st half of the year, he had 3 huge drops. No more lifetime Jets. Loyalty is for dog lovers.Rex knew when to get rid of “Hand Tackler” Rhodes & it is always better to rid yourself of dead weight 1 year early rather than 1 year late. No one mentions our LB’s. Worst pass covering bunch around. And with Pats offense being TE oriented, this is a problem. Strictland is good covering in the slot but we need that pass rush or we will be giving up alot of 3rd & 9 plays.How come I never see Bart Scott being asked to restructure his salary?No one has ever said so much and done so little. No impact plays from him.

66. By Tom Spicer on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Braylon signs for $3.5 mil for 1 year & Plax signs for 1 year for $3 mil. Something is not right hear are you telling me we couldnt pony up the extra $500,000 to get Braylon. Or better yet why sign Mason when for $6.5 mil we could have had Braylon & Plax. We could have had Holmes, Braylon & Plax. Are you telling me we did not have $6.5 mil to spend on Braylon & Plax?

67. By Tom Spicer on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

2009 Cotchery & Stuckey, 2010 Cotchery & braylon & 2011 Holmes & Plax. How do you expect the QB to get better if every single year he has a new set of WR’S? The best QB’S have the same WR’S for years. They have timeing down on there routes. These guys are not wide open from year after year of practice together the knwo exactly where the guy is going to be & he puts it in that spot. We can not switch WR’S every single year.

68. By Tom Spicer on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Also STOP with thsi Kerley GARBAGE the guy has not played a NFL down!

69. By Ed in Tucson on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

I just read on ESPN.com that Cotch asked to be traded or released. I still hate to see him go. I dug him since the first time I heard his name. I wish nothing but the best for him, & that he signs with an NFC west team, so we don’t have to play against him right away.

70. By Hans on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

I think some of you aren’t getting something….HE ASKED FOR HIS RELEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

71. By ramie78 on Aug 4, 2011 | Reply

Jerricho Cotchery!!! Mr JET himself? This is a mistake I hope doesn’t comeback to hurt the team. J-Co is a super clutch player that always got to his spot and made his assignment. This will be another Danny Woodhead case!!! I love the JETS but this year isn’t making me feel super confidence. From top to bottom have we really gotten any better??? Plax is a down grade from Edward and Smith is gone other then re-sign players what have we really done? Draft some DT but biggest problem with that is they’re ROOKIES! Loyalty should have been giving! I am disgusted and feel like its going to come back to bit us in the butt. WISH YOU ALL THE BEST J-CO!!!

72. By Jimmer on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

My gut tells me Cotchery is gonna haunt us this year.

73. By ModernDayJet on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

I understand you guys are disappointed by the release of Cochery, so am i!!! But i also see the same vision that the organization has, which is the jets are becoming more explosive on offense. J-CO is good but he is not a slot receiver and was limited at that position. We need receivers that can separate from defenders and thats what the Jets are getting in holmes, kerley, mason, and plex is the big body… Love Ya J-CO, good luck i think the Vikings is a good fit!!!

74. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Cimini says J-Co’s been asking for a trade SINCE THE SEASON ENDED, that he felt “disrespected.” So loyal J-Co didn’t say anything to the press, which is smart, but in fact he’s wanted out since after 1 yr as the #3. Rex says interest in Mason had nothing to do with J-Co going, which makes sense if J-Co wanted out for 6 months. He thinks he can start, we don’t think he should, so he leaves. But this is what me, scjoe, MJV and others mean when we say we don’t really know the full extent of what’s going on. I see posts here that read like Rorschach tests — front office bad, players good. I don’t know what that says about us that we all assume so easily that players wear white hats and management wears black ones, I just know it’s a fantasy.

75. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

We also need to get a little better with our detective work. I told all of you guys DURING last season that J-Co was one of the only guys we could afford to trade, if we could get something for him (which we can’t). Turns out he was thinking the same thing. Turns out we drafted Kerley and S McKnight, to many fans’ bafflement, because J-Co had ALREADY TOLD US he wanted out. As for Edwards and the $3.5 mil he took from SF but not us, don’t make me laugh. YESTERDAY he “downgraded” his demands to 5 yrs/$25 mil and you see how many folks took THAT seriously. As Cimini says, a guy who wanted the same deal as Holmes was no way gonna play for us for what Burress is getting. He also says Kerley is already lighting it up at WR.

76. By Joseph Pavidis on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Mike T. Please go find us some talent at wide receiver. A solid possesion guy in the mid to late 20’s that can be a consistent for several years. Stop signing these big name retreads. We don’t want rentals. We want a team to be proud of. With Holmes and Burress now, we have already earned the nickname “ConAir” for our passing attack. This has to stop. Losing Cotchery was another in a string of bad moves so far this FA. Our special teams and offense have gotten considerably worse than last year. Go get us some solid receivers please.

77. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

“Reliable guys like J-Co,” eh Tommy? He failed his physical yesterday, so here’s the real throughline:Despite the spin in ’10, he wasn’t okay with being demoted to #3, asked for a trade when the yr ended. We wanted him but as a #3. He has back surgery, calling his readiness into question and reducing his value in a trade. We sign Burress with the idea J-Co will be #3 again, he says no way and again asks for a trade. ONLY THEN do we start talking to Mason and while we’re doing that, no one wants to trade for J-Co. So when Mason leans toward signing (I read he’s firming it with his family), we release J-Co. If this entire story had been in the press all long, no one would be siding with either J-Co or management. MJV, what are your thoughts?

78. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

MJV, I’m asking for your thoughts because you can usually be counted on to lend a little perspective on behalf of management, just like others sometimes do that on behalf of the players. Walt, you need to wait for facts before going off. 29 is not young for a WR, J-Co is not healthy (failed his physical), and while I’m not a huge Mason fan, his stats last yr were as good as J-Co’s ever put up. Bigger picture, though, when Rex took over we had J-Co #1, Stuck #2. Now we’re looking at fast, smaller Holmes #1 and bigger, stronger Plax and Mason fighting it out for #2, with a faster, real WR named Kerley taking over for the slower, positionless Smith at #4. I don’t see how we don’t look more like a SB-caliber squad after changes like this.

79. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

And a few curiosities: I love J-Co but how can he say he wants to be the #2 when he fails his physical? I don’t expect the guy to tell the world he’s not ready to play, but what is he thinking, we’re gonna name him the #2 BEFORE we see how he can play post-surgery? Reminds me of Leon demanding a fortune before we saw him play on the repaired leg, though J-Co’s shown much more class than Leon did. And let’s stop with Sanchez, his timing with the WRs, etc. The guy’s in his 3rd yr, he should be able to handle the same stuff other QBs do. Tarvaris Jackson’s got a new team, new WRs, and was never handed the job at MIN the way MS was here and I don’t hear people fretting over him. Rex is handling MS right, asking him to step up a little each yr.

80. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

scjoe, you can’t be serious about Edwards. The guy wants to get paid like a #1 and we don’t wanna do it, we wanna pay him like a #2 to Holmes. His LOWERED demand was 5 yrs/$25 mil, so you can’t imagine what his OPENING demand was. Y’expect the Jets to say you’re no good, you’re a discipline problem, we don’t care how you played last yr? It’s not done that way, you wait and, in BE’s case, maybe let the guy hang himself or say okay, I’ll take a small deal to stay a Jet. He took a small deal to go to the 49ers, a team that doesn’t care if he’s suspended as opposed to us, who desperately want to go, like, 12-4, which is another reason we’re not waiting for J-Co to get healthy. What part of all this don’t you understand?

81. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

As for you, GaryC, it’s great that J-Co returned punts and did it well, several times I pointed to his key return against SD in the playoffs. But some players aren’t gonna be asked to do that after a certain point, like Holmes now. Heck, Kerley might not be asked to do that if he’s as good at WR as these early raves make it sound. As for the culture, that was just one part of what I thought was going on, in the absence of more facts on J-Co. Turns out he felt “disrespected” as the #3, didn’t want to do it again, has been waiting 6 months for a trade, and failed his physical. You expect this team, with Rex and his SB predictions, to wait around to see if he’s okay to play? With DAL, BAL, NE, MIA, and SD in our 1st 7 games? I don’t think so!

82. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

In summary for the moment, my friends, you live by the sword you die by the sword, you get what you pay for, watch out what you wish for, etc. Rex, Mr T, and Woody want to win the SB NOW and keep winning ‘em. You all know that if it was up to me, we’d build almost entirely through the draft but this team doesn’t seem to wanna do it that way. What’s more, I gotta wonder just how many teams DO wanna do it that way anymore, but especially in a yr like this with speed-free agency. As I’ve often said, I don’t have the Jets’ balance sheet so I don’t know all of what’s behind the urgency. But the days of 8-8 and rooting for a few favorite players are over, which is also why I say if MS doesn’t step up this yr and next, he’ll be the next to go.

83. By Austin on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Let me start by saying that people please stop crying about J-CO. He is everything you say he is . I will miss him to, but is he a super bowl MVP or something have we won a super bowl with or because of J-CO. PLease people this is a business. You know what lets just have a team of j-cos never make the big dance but have some great people on our team . be 10-6 hey maybe even 9-9 hey but we have some great people. PLEASE GO JETS.

84. By joe jardim on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Guys lets all relax here, I myself am a huge Cotchery fan and hate the fact that he has been released, but from what the facts that are being released it appears that he may have asked to be traded before the holdout began. Whatever the case may be we all complained last year when they cut Thomas Jones, and Alan Faneca but we ended up much better without them. Trader Mike knows what he is doing whether we want to believe it or not. Lets see how the season plays out before we begin to cry foul and remember that we have been to the last two AFC Championship games. We are only getting better and time will tell how far we go when the season starts.

85. By IRA on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Nobody talks about the punting situation but its a concern. Conley has been inconsistent early on. Bryan reminds me of Graham with his left footed punts and great hang time. This will be worth watching to see if either could win the job or they have to bring in another punter at the end of camp.
    Like i thought Powell is one tough son of a gun and shows lots of potential. looking forward to see how these young players do once the preseason games start.
    GO JETS!!!!

86. By Tom Spicer on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Shaun Ellis worked out for the Pats do we really want to go this route. One he can still play he sacked Brady 2 or 3 times in the playoff game vs them. 2 He is the longest tenured Jet 3 Do we really want to face a d line of Wilfork, Haynesworth & Ellis 4 he will tell the Pats everything about our D 5 What if he wins a title this year with the Pats?

87. By Tom Spicer on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

I pulled this off of a site I read “Free agent Jerricho Cotchery actually wanted out of the Jets organization, according to the team.
    ESPN is citing two sources that confirm the Jets’ claim. It turns out that Cotchery asked for a trade or to be released as he’s grown frustrated with the Jets constantly acquiring wideouts. The “final straw” was when Plaxico Burress signed. “He feels disrespected by the moves from the past two years, with the trades and being relegated to the third receiver,” a player close to Cotchery told ESPN.”

88. By GaryC on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

sounds fishy to me that cotchery would ask for his release now.sounds like someone whispered in his ear that we are cutting you but to save face that person asked jerricho to ask for release.Another Mangini guy is let go.Is Rex really that secure with having mangini guys on his roster.

89. By PurpleFlash on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

I really don’t like losing J-Co. this is not good at all. But it seems that it was he himself who wanted the release. Maybe because he a chance to start and Play more? I don’t get this. As for Braylon signing a 3.5 Mil 1 year contract with SF, the problem was that Braylon was looking for Much, much more and would not sign with the Jets for that much. He I think only signed for that much after he tested free agency and couldn’t get the numbers he wanted. I don’t like losing BE either.

90. By Patrick on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

disgusted by this move. What are Rex and Mr T thinking? Lets ruin all the chemistry we had on offense and now Mark basically has to start all over. And Rex has said the Cotchery move had nothing to do with Derrick Mason. When they bring in a 37 yr old WR that was the final straw for JCO and he wanted out. How much disrespect can a man take. I can see why now, wish him the best of luck.

91. By russ on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Holmes cannot block on run plays… Burris will not practice and doesnt play hard when ball is not thrown to him…not much hope here guys./…

92. By uncle joe on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Cotchery,,,SHAME ON YOU! He wanted out and Ryan looked like he wanted to cry even talking about it. And now Ellis is working out for the PATRIOTS! I hope Cotchery goes there too, so they can watch US go to the SuperBowl together.

93. By kw65Fan on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

SCJOE, get your facts straight. Up to his signing (BE) with SF, Braylon was asking almost 8 mil per year for 3 or more years. That is why we signed Plax. Now that he has another run in with the law in Mi….and on an extended probation by a kind judge…his value has dropped dramatically. Would not be suprised if Goodell suspends him 4 weeks for the DUI….and when final charges are brought out…he is suspended for the year. Good signing by SF…got him on the cheap…that is if he plays one down this year.
    Now that everyone has read the correct story…J-Co asked for his release…
    Wish you all the luck J-Co…You were a TRUE JET.

94. By DKM on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

is there anyway that a nfl team is be able to cut players who has done graet things for them without those whimpy fans whining about it. thanks J-CO but we got to move on even if its 1 year with a replacment or 2 until we find someone longterm. Someone mentiond the Parcells rule i totaly agree this is football not a sentimental gathering chatting aboutt good old times. could you imagine the Day Brady or Payton HIT the WALL and they start holding on to them cause of sentimental value ( uhhh bring back Farve he was the greatest ) none of these team would win another SB wich is the ultimate goal. congrats JETS for showing some backbone here and moving forward i don’t want this to be the same old jets

95. By uncle joe on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

If they new this was gonna happen then they REALLY should of got Zack Miller. I think TO would be Perfect here on a one year contract. He is big and a great blocker,that said I think it’s TurnerTime. I feel like he is gonna step it up and I also feel like this S.Mcknight is gonna be a real surprise.

96. By GaryC on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

need help from jet bloggers, I have a shirt that has a picture of super bowl team on front and picture of titans on back,talks about the history of jets and the score of the super bowl on sleeve,shirt is gray,says guaranteed victory on bottom.manufacturer is a company called long gone. does any other bloggers have this shirt.

97. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

GaryC, Cimini says J-Co not only asked for his release now, he asked for a trade as soon as the season ended. You think it’s fishy that he or any other player wants to start somewhere? Austin, joe jardim, kw65, DKM, spicer, thanks for the sanity on this. PIT released Holmes last yr, got Randle El back, now cut Randle El again but I don’t hear their fans crying — oh yeah, they made the SB, which has a way of helping you forget this stuff. russ, Mason’s a ferocious blocker and he’s had 1,000 yds 8 TIMES, J-Co’s done it once. If Plax dogs it, Mason will grab #2 for this yr. Ira, thanks for the reports on practice and for your comment on Powell and the young players — real fans like exhibition games! And tell us more about Conley vs. Bryan.

98. By wayne on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Jets couldn’t take the gamble and give Braylon a long term deal. He’s a bigger risk than Fat Albert. Once again he’s involved in another incident in a night club…..BEFORE HE EVEN GOT A CONTRACT…….When did it become the end of the world if Jets don’t have a receiver that can block? Sanchez is gonna need guys that can separate. He don’t need no stinkin blocking receiver.

99. By Matty K on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Cottchery will be missed but this isnt Fantasy Football. Contracts, injuries play big pieces of why people get signed and released. We have done really good things since Mr. T has come in and I put my trust in Him and Rex. When I get confused about recent moves, I just think back to the hurting years and my team makes me smile again. I saw someone post about Brad Smith and a mistake letting him go. You cant pay a player that doesnt play half the offensive snaps that much $$$. Same thing about Leon Washington. Great Jets but you cant pay these players big cash. Glad they got their $$$ though.

100. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

By the way, I’m fine with Mason if we can’t get Floyd, but my favorite scenario isn’t Plax getting pushed by one of those two vets but by Kerley, McKnight, and Turner. All kinds of pitiful teams draft rookie WRs, play them, and watch them do well — CIN with Shipley, OAK with Murphy, a 4th-round choice who’s outplayed #1 pick Heyward-Bey and put up good numbers on a team with weak, rotating QBs. But on the Jets, we gush over Clowney at WR or Woodhead in the slot, never give them a chance, then let them go. Ira, please let us know what you see from those 3 young WRs of ours. It would be a kind of karmic payback, and very instructive to Rex and the Jets, if they just played so well that we had to get them onto the field, especially Kerley.

101. By sbj on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

scjoe, Ferraro41 – thanks for the cap info.

I’m surprised and not sure what to think about all the rumors around Cotch. I would have liked us to keep BS but no way were we going to pay as much as the Bills. It was also very clear BE was asking for much more than he actually got. I originally thought he’d be a good boy and play the full season but now I’m not so sure.

So all in all, a disappointing start to training camp but we can’t exactly throw the blame at management this time.

102. By Troy on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Im coming around about the J-CO situaition now that the shock and personal anger has res,ided,problem still is that Mason has not signed yet ,and we could have a major hole if he doesn’t …Its too bad we couldn’t land Heap ,he would have a been another weapon down the middle of the field since we dont seem to want to use Keller outside of the short intermediate throws..All in all we need Rex and Schotty to coach alot better than before ,if so we will be fine ,if its status quo,then we will not be has successfull and looking at 8-9 win season no wild card…

103. By IRA on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

I would really like to see S. Ellis return and mentor Wilkerson and split reps with him. If not then i would reach out to T. Pryce and see if he would come in and play the same role. Ellis has more left in the tank than Pryce does but Pryce would be a great mentor also.
    Tom,
    I am all for bringing in Floyd if Mason doesn’t sign. Especially with seeing kerley looks like he can handle a slot spot with no problem.
    Gary, Like i wrote Bryan’s hang time has been real good. But its only a few practices. Lets see how it plays out and how he punts in the preseason games. Lets hope we aren’t punting too much but we need to see them both get reps in live games. Not sure yet if Bryan can directional punt yet.
    I have really been impressed with Landor.

104. By scjoe on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

kwfan? the facts ARE exactly what they are/. Plax one year 3.0mil. BE one year 3.5 mil. Exactly what is it you don’t understand about that?? We are not talking about what BE “once” asked for, at least I am not. I am talking about what he ultimately signed for and what Plax ultimately signed for. So please, don’t tell me to get the facts straight!

105. By scjoe on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Ira, correction. I have always talked about the punting situation along with the PK situation. I have been doing that for the past two seasons at least. The fact is we have substandard punters and PKs and the problem for what ever reason just does not get addressed. Either one of these positions can cost a game or two during the course of the season, and has for that matter, but still we choose to go with who ever comes cheap.

106. By GaryC on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

jet fan tom, who was gushing about Clowney at wide receiver,Nuff Said.

107. By scjoe on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

64, ditto to what I just told kw. It don’t matter what BE “once” asked for. You know as well as I that this is a bottom line business and the bottom line is that we signed a WR who has been incarcerated the past two years, know on knows what he will bring to the table. BE ultimately signed for 500,000 more and we do know what he can bring to the table because he has already brought it. I believe if they had waited they could have signed BE to a multi year deal (based on what he signed for with SF) Whether or not he gets suspended once again is not really my point.

108. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Rex was gushing about Clowney, GaryC, as in “I’m the biggest David Clowney fan — who can cover the Clown?” and “David Clowney did everything we asked him to do” (said after the first MIA loss in ’09). I couldn’t fit half Rex’s raves about Woodhead here. scjoe, by the time BE signed for $500,000 more than Plax (a) We’d signed Plax instead of him (b) BE had upped his odds for a suspension this yr, which is the BIGGEST point, and (c) BE had moved off his demand for Holmes-like numbers to his “lower” demand of 5 yrs/$25 mil. Sorry, but for all his talk about “wanting to retire as a Jet,” when push came to shove he didn’t give a damn enough about this team to work out a deal OR rein in his foolish behavior, which is why I’m crying no tears.

109. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Ira, Floyd would be a tremendous pickup and obviously a pricier one than Mason. Rex says today that as “a man of his word” he didn’t want J-Co’s release held up by negotiations with Mason, and I’m sure that’s part of the story. The other part is that no one wants an injured player who asked for a trade 6 months ago on the roster any longer than strictly necessary. Actually I find great drama in the WR situation, with the Jets’ recent habit of picking up older free-agents running smack dab into their recent success with their own smarter draft picks. It’s a battle that should be very instructive for Woody, Mr T, and Rex no matter how it turns out. My money’s on Kerley to surprise everybody and get almost as many catches as Plax this yr.

110. By Rob Bas on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

J-Co was a solid Jets player but this is the nature of the business, thank you for your services and I wish you the very best of luck but now it is time to move on and hopefully get better! What I am still wondering is when are we going to address our DL and LB situation? We were totally exposed in the playoff game against Pitt and all year long with our pass rush and LB is pass coverage. The way I am looking at our Def right now is that we have not improved at all!!! Mr T you need to make some moves we need DL and LB help ASAP!!!!!

111. By sbj on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

scjoe – the suspension possibility might be why he Jets didn’t sign him even at the lower amount.

112. By Jetsman on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

I just read on NFL.com Braylon’s contract is actually for only ONE MILLION DOLLARS!! ONE MILLION! That 3.5M is if he has 90 catches or goes to the Pro Bowl. If he starts the full season, no suspension, only 2 million. WHAT THE HECK. So instead of getting Braylon for potentially CHEAPER than Burress, we sign a more expensive receiver and ruin continuity? As I said before, I love Burress, he’s huge, but Braylon had 2 years with Mark, and could stick around long-term. We better get Braylon back next offseason…

113. By kw65Fan on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

Like I said…get your facts straight scjoe and look at the time table….

114. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

That story on Edwards just shows how far his stock has fallen in the last few days, Jetsman, it’s not any indication of what we coulda gotten him for. From us he wanted $10 mil a yr for several yrs…

115. By richard on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

k to all you guys do you not understand that j-Co asked to be released at the end of last season for the simple fact that he wants to have a chance to be a number 1 wide reciever…and im glad we didnt sign braylon back bc 2 days ago he was already involvd in a bar fight where 2 people got stabbed….so he will prob be in jail pretty soon…and i dnt agree wit bringin in mason but i def think that we can find someone to replace j-Co . Now dont get me wrong i am very upset that Mr. Consistency is gone but he wanted to go,and when someone wants to go and u dnt give them what they want they aren’t gonna play their hardest and that goes for even the classiest guys like J-Co.He wants a chance to make big bucks and be the number 1 guy that he

116. By richard on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

should be…that just shows how much respect mike and rex have for cotch, they could have kept him and made him play out his contract but that would have done nothin but cause problems down the road.They gave him what he wanted and now that always leaves the possibility for a return,later on down the road which i for one would love to see.I also think that we have a few young guys who will be able to replace him and possibly even do better.I’m really liking kerley and turner those are 2 guys who is givin the oppurtunity can make a game changing play,kerley especially i think is going to be a great slot reciever his route running is great his cuts are phenomenal,and his acceleration and top speed are just as good, give the kid sometime

117. By richard on Aug 5, 2011 | Reply

We alson need Big Katt back to get this young line some great mentoring.with some good mentoring this young line we have is gonna go a long way.Im very pleased with rex and co the past 2 years they are changing the face of this orginization which used to be an oh god the jets are playing and omg the jets didnt make the play offs….well rex changed all that and there is alot more change to come and i think all the change is for the better

118. By Rick Roucoulet on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Is anyone getting nervous like me? NO additions to the recieving core, ONLY losses. NOTHING, I mean nothing has been done to improve this offense. It’s only being picked apart. I thought the loss to Woodhead last season was sickening but this is worse. I want to stay possitive but if you stand on the outside & look in or go back to just before FA started & if someone told you all our losses & all our lack of gains, I’m sure it would frighten any of you. I highly consider them to find the most elite WR left in FA & even a TE. Throw 2 TEs @ teams like the pats did, run the ball, run the ball & run the ball & pray what is there for WR can gel…. Mr. T. has begun to think he is the FA king & i think it has backfired. he has gambled & lost.

119. By Rick Roucoulet on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

although i hear WR KERLEY is looking like a stud in camp – I have my fingers crossed

120. By Rick Roucoulet on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

With all this said about the offense, I think the D has me shaking even more – No Pass Rush last season & no additions to that this year. Can someone give me something to get me out of this NEGATIVE state PLEEEEAAAASE

121. By Robert on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Rick I totally agree we have not upgraded on defense at all, we need a pass rush!!! I would love to know what the game plan is?

122. By Lance Cook on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Some of these comments blow me away… Sure I love JCO and he is nothing but a class act but football is business and there can be no hurt feelings.. When rex ryan arrived he had JCO and Chansi Stuckey as his starting wideouts and now fast forward a few years and we have Plax and Holmes… I dont want to hear anything negative about Tannenbaum and his efforts.. I have been a jets fan for decades and can recall countless offseasons where we did nothing and had a terrible season as a result.. Stop being so negative and support this management staff and their efforts…….I WANT MR. ELLIS IN CAMP, LOVE THE BIG KATT!!!!!!!

123. By Row on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

All these WR’s and no QB. I think it’s funny how blind the management is here. He barely threw for 3000 yards with some of the best receivers in the game and a top 5 running game. No one knows who the backup is and #6 has missed a game or two every year. Mason for J-Co, I’ll take that every single day. He’ll be the #2, just watch. Burress will create mismatches in the slot. Lotta pressure for the Sanchize..