• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Replay Jets Open Mic on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences
  • Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game

Mason on Way In; S.Ellis Has Left the Building

Posted by Randy Lange on August 7, 2011 – 1:36 pm

Update, 2:35 p.m. ET

There’s been a net movement of 26 years of NFL experience over the past 24 hours. Fifteen years of wideout wisdom has arrived in the form of free agent WR Derrick Mason (who physically may not arrive on the Jets’ training camp field until Monday).

And 11 years of devotion to the Green & White’s defensive line was reported this morning to be departing with word that DE Shaun Ellis agreed to a one-year deal with the New England Patriots.

Mason first. Even though the former Titans and Ravens standout was not expected to practice today, the first effect of his arrival has been seen here with the switch of rookie Jeremy Kerley from uniform number 85 to 11.

“D-Mace has got to do all the paperwork and stuff — it’s like buying a house,” said head coach Rex Ryan, who was still beaming that the new No. 85, a former Ravens acquaintance of his, will soon be out on the field with the Jets’ rebuilt WR corps.

“That was obviously some exciting news for us, getting that kind of receiver,” Ryan said. “I almost look at it like we have three starters. That three-wide package is going to be something when you can have Derrick, Santonio Holmes, obviously Plaxico Burress, and Dustin [Keller]. That’s going to be tough on anybody. That’s going to be fun to watch, that’s for sure. His role is not to come in here as the No. 3 receiver, it’s to come in and build with what we already have with those two guys.”

Mason has already turned 37 this year, but he’s one of those players to whom age is just a number. He’s gone 11 consecutive seasons with at least 60 receptions and 750 yards. He needs 76 more receptions to join the NFL’s 1,000-reception club, which currently has only eight members. And he has gone eight straight seasons playing in all 16 regular-season games and has never played in fewer than 13 games in his 15 years.

We’ll hear more from Mason once he arrives here in Florham Park, N.J.. We may not hear from Shaun Ellis if the word from the northeast is accurate. The Big Katt’s teammates for the last couple of years were sorry to hear the rumors.

“I respect Shaun more than as a football player,” said nose Sione Pouha. “I respect him as a father and as a former teammate of mine. He was here when I first got here, so he had such a huge influence on me. He deserves the respect to make that decision.”

“When I came in, Shaun was a big brother to me,” said Ropati Pitoitua, who’s playing at Ellis’ spot on the D-line. “He’s a great leader and mentor. I learned a lot from him. We all know it’s a business. It is what it is. I wish him the best.”

And Marcus Dixon, who’s gotten a head of steam going on the inside this camp, seemed genuinely moved when I became the first to tell him that Shaun was gone.

“Shaun is definitely a Jet,” Dixon said after shaking his head. “He took me under his wing, taught me how to play up here. Not having him here, it’s sad, but we’ve got to move on. The Patriots are fortunate to be getting a guy like that.”

Ryan, after coaching Ellis (who rose to 72.5 career sacks, third-most in franchise history, last season) for two years, knows the Big Katt will be ready to pounce on the Jets and the Green & Whtie on him.

“I have a great deal of respect for Shaun. He made the Pro Bowl my first year here, and the biggest game he played last year, we all remember, was against New England,” Ryan remembered. “He is a tough guy and he’s going to be missed.”

But Ryan reminded, there’s only so much “pie” to go around each year, “and we’re pretty much right down to it. Bringing in Derrick, it’s hard for me to see that we’ll be bringing in too many more players, if any. I’m happy with the team we have. This, in my opinion, is an outstanding football team. Now obviously we’ve got to stay healthy and all that, work every day, but I think this is a great football team.”

Rex Cetera

Speaking of Plaxico, Burress is out at practice now and in pads for the first time as a Jet, but he’s only going to work individual drills. “I really want to go slow,” the coach said. “If you have him go through this and there’s a setback, it may cost you two weeks. If you go at the individual things, we feel like we’ll be able to get through that and progress that way.” But, Rex added, Burress “seems to be really grasping the offense.”

The coach on last year’s No. 1 pick, CB Kyle Wilson: “He’s a different guy, a different guy. His confidence is there, he’s stronger, and that only adds to his confidence. I think he’s going to have more of an impact on special teams, and I also see him obviously being our nickel. He’s stepping up. I see him over there working on his blitzing and stuff. He’s carrying himself differently than he did.”

Ryan on RT Wayne Hunter: “If you were to pick one guy you were going to take with you, I have a lot of candidates I feel really good about having my back, but Wayne would be the first I’d choose.”

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

51 Responses to “Mason on Way In; S.Ellis Has Left the Building”

1. By James Lynch on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

WHhooooooooooooooooo GO J E T S , man Mark Sanchez is going to have so many options , i feel bad for the defense we play against,hopefully well see the jets really fly this year

2. By Jetsman on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Really? Ellis doesn’t get re-signed either… I felt this coming. When a player has an offer to come back out there for that long of a time, he’s not coming back. We’re missing a great player, but I’m really confident Muhammad Wilkerson will step up. I was hoping we could have Ellis, Pouha, and Wilkerson as our starters, but DeVito isn’t that bad and hopefully we get him and our huge 6’8 Samoan Ropati to step up this year. I mean, when has a Samoan ever been bad in the NFL?

3. By Tom on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

does anyone know the pay difference Ellis took vs Jets veteran minimum offer? I am curious to see how much more to have kept him (or what he left for – financially speaking, not emotionally)?

4. By WALT on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

I am completely disgusted that ellis signed with new england.I think this is a real slap in the face to the jets and more importantly their fans.I can not see any reason why he would be bitter towards the jets.They made him at one time one of the highest paid defensive linemen in the league.I am very sure he could have signed with any number of teams in the NFL who would want his services.This is truely disgusting.

5. By Jimmer on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

I just knew that NE was gonna sign Ellis. This was as much to help them as it was to hurt us. Ellis has been a thorn in NE’s side for years. I think it’s shameful he had to sign with them. I’m embarrassed to be a jets fan today.

6. By lenny kott on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

J Kerley is going to be a big time player for many years to come, hopefully all with the Jets. His attitude and the way he carries himself are impressive. Voluntarily giving up his jersey number for D Mason may not seem like a big thing to many people but it is great to see younger players have respect for proven NFL vets. He also has three great receivers to learn from. Hopefully we’ll see some bombs this year, does anybody even throw the bomb anymore??

7. By kk on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

This is really sad and a little ridiculous that we let a guy like this go and especially to the Pats. They’ve really let alot of the true Jet leaders go this year and while they keep saying they’re excited for the team there are alot of big holes to fill.
    While Ellis was getting up there in age he always came up big when we needed him and hopefully this doesn’t come back to bite us like Woodhead last year. Oh well let’s keep our fingrers crossed and good luck to not only Ellis but Cotchery as well two class acts that will be very difficult to replace!!

8. By MarkP@JetsReality on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Hold off on “Ellis” panic. For every Woodhead BB signs, there is also a Victor Hobson that doesn’t work out. Ellis was a very good Jet (last from Tuna’s draft) but his best days are behind him. Yes he made some great plays & sacks in PO but his age at his position works against him more than Mason. This was a good move. If Ropati is 100% this helps tons. Wilkerson looks good but hold off until he plays another team. DeVito is getting better every year. The Ellis & Cotchery cuts were good moves. The bad move so far is being stood up at the alter by Asomugha costing us B. Smith. The big issue no one talks about is LB’s. We need to replace Thomas & Scott ASAP. No impact plays from either one or pass coverage.

9. By ramie78 on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Really ellis??? What a JOKE!! NO self respect!! Going to a team that you hated for so many years!!! I can’t even wish him the best.

10. By Troy on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Come on now guys ,Ellis though really good back in his 4-3 years under Herm and a true Jet giving it his all always , his production in the 3-4 has been mediocre at best ,2 years ago i would have been like what the H$$L with him going over to NE , but we watched a 10 year Jet hater come play for us last season in J.Taylor..SO there is no loyalty especially if Cat chose NE…We will be faster and more athletic at end now with Wilkerson and Devito Pitouia , and wouldnt be surprised to see Trevor Pryce back either , The Kid K.Ellis hopefully will be formidable too , at NT with Pouha , I was never worried about our front 7 , it was making sure the back end got back ,and with A-Cro back and smith and Pool ,Wishing DIGBO back, and Jimmy Leonard!

11. By scjoe on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

I can’t believe that some are accepting Mason as if he were the second coming of Wesley Walker. He is a 37 year old WR people. It was two years ago when we heard the rumbling about him retiring. Don’t get me wrong, I wish I was 37 years old again, but for a WR in the NFL, you are old!! As for Ellis? two things, where is the Rex factor? Where are all those UFAs who were supposed to be tripping over each other to get to play for him? Secondly, for Ellis, it just tells you a little about loyalty in sports. There is none, in either direction. The only place you will find it is in the fans.You have to wonder where sports would be with out that.

12. By scjoe on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

There is a lot of potential along the D-line with Wilkerson-Ellis-Pitoitua followed by Pouha-DeVito-Dixon and a lot of young depth behind them. What we have to find out is how long does it take for that potential to translate into great line play. Barring any serious injury we are set along the D-line for the next 3-5 years. Next order of business is the LB corp. Aside from Harris this current group of starters don’t have that 3-5 year window, nor do the safety’s. I think if you had to choose an area of the team that will start slow it would be both the D-line and the WRs. Just a wild guess.

13. By 38 year fan on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Ellis will be missed ….He was great …This is yet another bitter pill to swallow ….

14. By 38 year fan on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

I surely hope Calvin Pace is 100 % ….We need a PASS RUSH …

15. By 38 year fan on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

I hate to say it but ,…We are going to need some rookies , and not very experienced guys to really step up this year on Defense ,..Where is the pressure to the QB going to come from ? I am somewhat concerned ..

16. By Actinlikeicare on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Been a Jet fan for the past 15+ years.. It is getting hard to root for this team with Rex at the helm.. A players loyalty is too the union that represents him, not an organization, and we see why when a guy like Cotchery gets pushed out the door, and you can’t come to an agreement with Shaun Ellis. A player is free to sign wherever he wants and the HEAD COACH of a team says that he’s not gonna wish a 11 year veteran well. This guy tells everyone how much better and more talented his team is then everyone else, every single day,but yet he cant wish a player well? Thats classless .. Even though he went to the Pats, you wish him well, because according to you, you have the best team in football, so what would it matter where he signed?

17. By Actinlikeicare on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

After Cotchery got released on the TEAM website on the front page it said ” Cotchery asks for release, he gets it “.. CLASSLESS MOVE by the Jets… Sick of trying to sign every big name free agent, sick of all the arrogance.. just go out and win football games.. and help Sanchez complete a pass during the regular season… That would be nice….

18. By ghareeb on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Ellis and j co is a traitors,can we sign joey porter now?

19. By Howie D on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

I give T’baum a “D” with these FA moves. This was handled poorly. All we needed was a pass rusher, keep the guys we had and replace Shotty. Look at who we lost and who got in return. I’m not excited like Rex. We’re definitely weaker than 2010. It’s also strange that Ellis and Cotch opted out. They probably felt slighted. FINS and PATS now have insiders who know our playbook. It’s a shame. The only thing that will make all of this right and prove me wrong is to win the Superbowl. Anything less will be a failure.

20. By CNY51yearJETSfan on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Sean Ellis should have been a Jet till he no longer plays…….and of all the teams to go to!!!!!

21. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

scjoe, it’s not just about the number. Mason has practically never missed a game, let’s see how many J-Co plays or misses this yr. As for Ellis, like Tom, Walt, Troy and others are saying, how much more than what we offered could the Pats have given him? He’s still a good enough player to have his moments but like Troy points out, he’s one of the older guys who kept getting blown out last yr when the middle of the field looked like swiss cheese, we need much younger and faster guys on the front 7. I wish we had some more of that at LB but again I’d rather take a shot on Westerman and some of the UDFA’s than pray for Taylor to play any better than he did last yr. Speed on both sides of the ball is something we’ve really needed for yrs.

22. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Howie D, PIT is bringing in J-Co today. He’d be a #5 behind Wallace, Ward, Sanders, and Brown and by the way, the Steelers are also getting a good camp out of none other than Wes Lyons, the 6’8″ WR from West Virginia that we tried out last yr. On the Jets J-Co would’ve certainly been a #3 if he was healthy and we wouldn’t have gone after Mason. I don’t understand why some people just automatically chalk these changes up to management’s coldness, cheapness, or whatever. Like Leon on SEA, who has a good chance of rarely carrying the ball at RB again in his career, J-Co will rue the day he left the Jets if he ends up a #5 on PIT. Actin, S Ellis is the one who lacks class, not Rex. Go root for the Pats if it bothers you that much.

23. By Matt on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Rex and Mr.T have actually have been rebuilding a team and been keeping them competitive at the same time the team has gotten young at receiver after all Holmes is 26 and they drafted two WRs also Turner from last year is still on the team and was a third round pick the veterans guys Plax and Mason are winners and those type of signing last like 1-2yrs tops but it gives the younger guys knowledge which I see nothing wrong with. RBs younger Dline younger two cover CBs under 30 oline young except Moore but 1 or 2 vets are always good on the line now all the team needs is to get younger at Linebackers and another safety wouldnt hurt. J-co wanted to leave and Ellis could have came back plus Rex didnt hand pick these dudes at the end of the day

24. By Matt on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Dag JETS fans are so whiny I was apart of that club but I’ve changed my outlook the JETS players from prior regiments are signed and are on the teams REX is the coach not you or me from what see is they have been doing a pretty good job of rebuilding right before are eyes and keeping them very competitive at the same time we’ve have gotten younger in a lot of position these guys they bring in aren’t signed to mega contracts 1-2yrs top for those players who left I wish them the best.Look at it people we just need 2 get younger Linebacker and maybe safety. We got WRs Turner Holmes and 2 draftees RBs Greene Mcknight Powell Dline Oldest is pouha 2 cover corners under 30 the team is good shape overall so stop WHINING

25. By Mystery on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

We lost a lot of good players and it may look like this team is weaker than it was last year, but there is nothing the Jets can do. We have to cut players to pay for Santonio and Cro’s contract. We were right at the salary cap limit to start the season. A lot of fans dont understand the business side of this sport. Im sure if there was no cap that the Jets can easily absorb all the players that they want like the Yankees do in baseball.

26. By freddy santory on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

wow…was feeling good about mason…but losing ellis is bad karma….i was hoping it wouldnt come down to ne, but all i can say when someone is with you that long, you find a way, and this is going to come back to hurt us somewhere down the line….im a big jet fan, but karma is something as a player and coach i dont touch, and this is bad karma

27. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Can we also stop this nonsense about getting guys from the Pats, the Fins, etc. “so we can study their playbook”? To look at just us and the Pats, both teams have been doing that intensely now since at least O’Connell/Izzo/Woodhead/now Ellis and if by now they don’t know each other’s playbooks backwards and forwards I don’t know when they ever will. Matt, your posts are my favorites today with your brilliant main point about getting younger and staying competitive at the same time. And Mystery, not only are you right about the cap but the cap is less than it was before the uncapped yr, so I don’t know what people expect.

28. By Jack on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

I had a feeling that Shaun Ellis would be cut or go else where I also kinda thought that DE, Bryan Thomas would be cut as well. I hope that Wikerson can get the start at DE, I wasn’t so happy with this pick I was hoping to get DT Phillip Taylor. I really would had like have gotten DE, Christian Ballard he sound it like the right player for the Jets. I really hope see the Jets second Rd pick get the start this year i really like what I seen from him. And if Wikerson not ready to get the starting job would like to see Calvin Pace replace Ellis at DE.

29. By lou on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

We are still 9 mill under the cap i believe, is there somebody we can sign that will produce a pass rush? I think the Jets should really be worried about this. Q.B.’s having too much time to throw against us will kill us this year. Other teams are starting to pick up our blitzes.Please reply about this.

30. By russ on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Wish Ellis had more class than going to NE but then again it’s all about the money….with release of the waste of Ghoulston maybe linebackers can be more aggressive and help the D with its rush…

31. By jetsfannmo on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

Big Katt wish you well, thanks for the memories. Hard to see him and J-Co go. As for this season um……..not looking forward to it gonna be a bad one in jets country this year. Plax signing still baffles me, yeah hes tall and good in the redzone but hes 34 and been away from the game for 2 years BIG gamble! BRAD SMITH im from missouri and will miss you SOOOO much loved seeing you in green and white. I do like d-mace and the kerley kid, although im really worried about mr bill having SE insight into our defense. Rex you have ALOT on your plate this year, your a big man hopefully the plate is clear at the end of the year!

32. By Pete from the north on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

RANDY…….Any news insider or otherwise on whether Jets have looked at the Giants and the Osi situation

33. By DREW on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

NE signing ellis is bad news. I see this coming back to haunt us. We traded BB to NE and got SE. NE got 3 SB’s out of it. Now they get SE and will prob get another . How ironic…

34. By Budd on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

We all knew we couldn’t hold onto everyone from last year. Would you rather we lost Santonio? Cromartie? or didn’t sign Harris to a longterm deal? Then we’d really hear people complain. The Jets did well with what they had to work with $-wise.

We lost Edwards, who might be suspended for part of theis year, and wanted insane $ from us. Plaxico will be a nice replacement. Lost Brad Smith, great kick-returner, but not a starter. We lost J-Co, who we all love, but he just had back surgery and we can’t hold on to everyone!! Mason is a nice replacement. And finally we lost Ellis – he was a true Jet, yes, but he had only one great game last year and is gettin’ old. We drafted a couple big guys to step in. I think Mike T did fine!

35. By AZ Jet Fan on Aug 7, 2011 | Reply

I’m starting to get irked. First we let Woodhead go to the Pats, then J-Co wants out? Now Ellis is a Pat? What is going on? Did the Jets not handle the situation right or is Ellis being a traitor? We may never know, but I have been sick about this all day.

36. By Karan on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

In Ellis’s case, money talks. Also, you can add a little emotion. I wish him nothing well in NE, he is a traitor. If he went to any other team (excluding steelers and dolphins), I honestly don’t think any Jet fan would have minded because I do understand the Jets kind of slapped him in the face with a minimum salary. I think that’s insulting of our organization, however, the fact that he went to Belichiks house is even more disgusting. I almost cried when I heard this, really disappointing. I approve of change but I think this team has changed a little too much this season. God, I miss Cotchery, best of luck to him, wish j-co never left.

37. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

jetsfannmo, all I can do to make you feel better is to remind you of all the predictions of disaster of the last 2 yrs going all the way back to folks who thought Clemens should start over Sanchez. (Where you at, Row? We need your input on all these recent moves.) Yet we came very close to the SB both yrs. I’ll believe it when I see it with McKnight and Wilson (and Cro), but this yr’s reports are that they’re looking much more aggressive and impressive in camp. Far too early to start unambiguously saying it’s gonna be a bad yr for the Jets. At least wait for the second half of the Cowboys game.

38. By Chicago Bob on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

It is too bad Ellis has decided to leave however it is not the end of the world – he is not the second coming of Deacon Jones. Ellis was a solid player however his fit was never really a 3-4 end. People obviously remember the game he had against New England in the playoffs however those efforts were far and few between. Rex is not stupid and would not let Ellis walk unless he felt he was clearly on the downside and had little left to offer. We lost a locker room presence however it is time some of the younger players step up and take more of a leadership role if we are going to be competitive for a while.They still have some money to do things whether it be on current players available or waiting until the final cut and pick somebody up.

39. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for your great post, Budd. Cimini said the same thing as you the other day, that he’d rather have Holmes and Cro than Edwards and Aso and I agree. I was as big on signing both SH and BE as anybody but I couldn’t have predicted this ridiculous free agency situation and how it would affect both players and teams. What would’ve bothered me is if we’d lost guys and not replaced them, like the Giants, or not even tried to get them, like the Browns. Under the circumstances I think we did pretty good and like I keep saying, if losing some vets makes us depend more on draft picks and other young guys more, I’m all for that. Would be nice to see a Jet Rookie of the Year one of these yrs, but you gotta play ‘em for them to earn that award.

40. By MARKG on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

ELLIS IS NOT THE BIG CAT HE IS THE BIG DOG FOR GOING TO THE ENEMY.
    ALL THE REX HATERS ARE CHOPING UP REX’S WORDS.
    I’M NOT GONNA WISH HIM GOOD LUCK. LIKE ITS SOUR GRAPES. THEY LEAVE OUT BUT I DO WISH HIM GOOD HEALTH. PLAY THE TAPE. I hope brick hands ELLIS IS LUNCH

41. By carl on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

I wish the best for the Big Kat! But, not on the field against us! Go Jets!!!!

42. By PurpleFlash on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Ellis reportedly signed a $4 Million Dollar 1yr deal with NE plus $1 Mil in incentives. Lessee… 4 mil versos $910,000…hmnn… Its about the Money, nothing more.

43. By Howie D on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Jet Fan Since ’64 Tom: Low blow there, telling me to root for the Pats. We’re all passionate about our JETS, and just like you I’ve been waiting decades for a ticker-tape parade, so I hope you’ll respect my opinion the way I respect yours. We can all argue pro and con about any player and any move. I didn’t say we’re not going to win, I’m simply saying that it’ll be more difficult. That’s my opinion, and I’m sticking to it.

44. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

I’m just joking around, Howie D, but I suppose telling someone on this site to root for the Pats IS the ultimate insult. Still, your post was filled with despair that just about every move management has made is wrong, and that stuff usually gets me typing quickly. I usually think Jet Fan Defeatism goes back to the Namath years, when we lived in fear of knee injuries and late-thrown pass interference flags. Sometimes I wonder if it’s more than that, something rooted in the New York City culture of the post-World War I-Depression-World War II years, in which catastrophe was always lurking in the minds of American immigrants. Anyway, back to football, no, we didn’t make the wrong moves with J-Co or Ellis and I look forward to the new guys.

45. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Correction: What we lived in even more fear of during the Namath years, aside from further damage to Joe’s knees, was late-thrown HOLDING flags, before the zebras figured out that you could probably call holding on just about every NFL down if you really wanted to.

46. By Howie D on Aug 8, 2011 | Reply

Jet Fan Since ’64 Tom: We all want the best for our JETS and that’s what matters. High five to you!

47. By Jazz-bo on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Remember, we miss the guys we know when they leave, before we get to know the guys who replace them. Talk to me about missing Ellis when Wilkerson starts piling up the sacks.

I’m just grateful Mike T. seems to be awake at the wheel and know what he’s doing. This year’s draft class might turn out to be one of the great ones.

48. By Rick Roucoulet on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Looks like Bill Belichick has gotten the best of both worlds w/ELLIS. Another decent, big veteran for depth to add to his new 4/3 D. & someone who is VERY familiar w/the JETS D. Did Belichick grap up Ellis mainly for the depth or mainly to have an insider that knows the JETS D? (Giving Belichicks history & integrity, i’d pick my 2nd guess). All this & the JETS has lost ELLIS & not a single pass rusher to replace him. Yes, they did pick up in the draft but where’s the experience?

49. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Back at ya, Howie D! Jazz-bo, thanks for the cool insight on the way it really works! We heard all kinds of wailing and doomsaying on this site when TJ and Leon were let go. You almost never hear it now. Funny, I had a similar hope/premonition/fantasy of Wilkerson getting two or three sacks in a game and some announcer pointing out that’s more than Ellis got all last yr. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it happen, given the way Rex is not just talking about Wilkerson and K Elllis but actually counting on them to perform. He must know something and by the way, it was good to see him admit yesterday that we were a little hesitant to use Wilson at DB last yr. I’d say more than a little hesitant, but point taken…

50. By davetharave on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

When we start the season rapping DALLAS right on the nose by a score of 35-14 a lot of what has already been said in this thread will be thoroughly and completely forgotten.

51. By Rick Roucoulet on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

@ Davetherave, I sure hope so. I love nothing more than to be wrong when it comes to being negative w/a JETS situation