• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 11:50 AM EST Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Herbie Teope of Chiefs Digest in Kansas City. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from Arrowhead Stadium.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Fri., Nov. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 08, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

McIntyre Journey Takes Him to Next Opportunity

Posted by Randy Lange on August 9, 2011 – 2:17 pm

Summertime and the living is queasy. If you’re a new NFL player on the training camp bubble, that is.

Everyone’s got a great story of determination, toughness and character. But not everyone’s dreams will be realized, due to the nature of the beast, mostly due to the relentlessly grinding nature of summer competition.

But some players have a little better chance of survival than others. Jets linebacker Garrett McIntyre may well be one of those guys.

McIntyre’s got the mindset. “When opportunities arise in this game,” he told me this week, ‘you have to take advantage of them if you want to keep going forward. If you don’t do that, you won’t keep going and you’ll have to find a real job.”

He’s got the decals on his luggage that bear testimony to how that philosophy was forged: Fresno State to NFL visits with Seattle, Arizona and Tennessee, then on to San Jose for two years of Arena League ball, then to Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, for two more years in the CFL.

And now he’s got the coaches’ eyes. McIntyre, signed by the Jets to a reserve/future contract in February, is now lining up on the outside of the Jets’ second defense and applying some much-welcome pass-rush pressure during the first week of training camp practices.

He’s caught Rex Ryan’s attention, for instance. Back on Aug. 2, the second day of camp, Ryan said:

“We have this young guy, I don’t want to build him up too much, the Canadian kid we got. Number 50. He’s a relentless guy. He’s one of those guys who is a pain to block.

Then Monday, the head coach could put a name to that number:

“McIntyre, from Canada through Fresno — he’s been a guy who has jumped out as well.”

“Yeah, it is a good feeling to hear that,” McIntyre said. “It makes me want to come in and work harder, actually. When I spoke to him on the phone early in the offseason, he said, ‘If you come in here in shape and ready to go, you’re going to get an opportunity.’ He kept his word.”

McIntyre’s progress with his opportunities has been as relentless as his pressure. The 6’3″, 255-pounder walked on at Fresno, played as a 17-year-old true freshman due to injuries and got a sack in his third game. “After that game the coach said, ‘Yeah, I think we’re going to put you on scholarship.’ ” Four years later, he was the WAC’s Defensive Player of the Year.

In his Arena stay, he played with the SaberCats and won the last AFL title before the league suspended operations for two years. In his Canadian incarnation, he had a strong 2010 season in which he tied for fifth in the CFL with eight sacks and tied for first with four forced fumbles.

“I didn’t get any love for that,” McIntyre chuckled about the FFs. “I felt maybe I should’ve gotten an all-star bid, but we had a lot of good pass rushers in the East, so it was hard for me to make that team. But I rushed from every position. I’d like to think I’m a universal pass rusher.”

And now he thanks the Jets for giving him “another shot down here” in the U.S. And Jets fans should get a chance to see McIntyre take advantage of his latest football opportunity perhaps as soon as Monday night in the preseason opener in Houston.

Rex Cetera

Ryan said RB Joe McKnight has a slight ankle injury and “I don’t think he’ll be going through ‘team’ today.” … Rex also said CB Donald Strickland “got kicked in the calf yesterday and got stepped on. It’s probably something to him, but nah, that’s nothing. … And Ryan said of G Brandon Moore, who started camp on PUP due to hip rehab, “I would expect him to be out there soon.”

But not today due to the rain that’s already falling on the North Jersey area around Jets camp. As stated on the Radar earlier, practice is closed to the public today. Punters, kickers and snappers are outside on the turf field right now but the rest of the team is in the fieldhouse.

Brad Smith’s not around to run the Seminole/Wildcat anymore, but that doesn’t mean the package of plays is going away. Ryan cited three players who can run it this year. “I think LT [LaDainian Tomlinson], he’s thrown TDs — all you’ve got to do is ask my brother because he threw a bunch against him. Joe [McKnight] is an explosive athlete like Brad and I think he’d be good in that role. And [rookie Jeremy] Kerley’s done it in college.” Rex did not say how often we’d see any of those waiting for the shotgun snap from Nick Mangold.

Rob Ryan, now Dallas’ coordinator, was Oakland’s DC when Tomlinson threw one TD for the Chargers in ’05 and another in ’06. In all LT has an impeccable passing record: 8-for-12 for 143 yards, 7 TDs, 0 INTs, one sack for 1 yard, and a 146.9 passer rating.

Depth Chart Live

We know fans love a complete depth chart, but as usual we didn’t have a DC to post until this week, the week leading up the Texans game. Now that depth chart is live and you can find it here. The depth chart is also included in the game notes package that the media relations department distributes to reporters and that we make available on our site. That package should be available soon in the Game Center area of newyorkjets.com.

Tags: , , ,

27 Responses to “McIntyre Journey Takes Him to Next Opportunity”

1. By IRA on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I think McIntyre or Bellore will make the team. Who ever can contribute on ST’s more will have the edge. Who knows maybe they both make it. They always bring in a few from the CFL every summer. Sooner or later they will hit a homerun with one.
    As for the WC like i wrote earlier. I can see LT or Kerley getting their number called in games. McKnight would be great with his athletic ability to run in the open field. He still hasn’t convinced me he can hold on to the ball on a consistent level yet. Hope he does during the preseason.

2. By Jimmer on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I hope this guy works out well. It looks like he’s had to work for everything he’s got. Blue collar lunch pail guys, I buy those jerseys. Prima-donnas, not so much.

3. By Hans on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I like the new layout of the depth chart Randy. It just looks a lot more readable and user-friendly.

4. By Jimmer on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Ira, ask folks up in BUffalo if McKnight can hold onto the ball. I think it was that game anyway. He was white-hot that day. But he still wants to play CB for some reason.

5. By kw65Fan on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Give this guy a chance, McIntyre, and he can be a beast like that guy with the fin’s-Wake. Watched Mac last season in Canadian and he was all over the field..just like Wake. I know..its Canadian Football…but that is where Wake came from too 2 years ago. Would not be suprised if he is biggest suprise in camp and pushes Thomas out of a starting position…or out the door.
    Where is Digs….has anyone sign him. Come on Mr. T…get this mad dog of a ST player and safety back. He was an all around Jet for last 2 years with Rex. We need his fire and passion.

6. By GaryC on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

this guy Bellore I am waiting to see, he sounds like another guy who came out of the MAC conference many years ago and played very well,his name was John Offerdahl, who many jet fans remember and certainly Dolphin fans.

7. By 10and6jets on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Kerley is the guy for the WC. He is a smart kid and seems more dependable than McKnight to make good decisions. He’s also quicker and faster than LT, so he can avoid pressure and create space in traffic easier. I think McIntyre and Bellore will make it. Belllore is from the same school as Bart so I think it only makes sense to back him up. He’s been scouted and touted since the draft and we even thought about drafting him. McIntyre or Jones will probably get the 4th OLB spot. We cut Cody Brown before we even signed Eddie Jones so I think that McIntyre and Westerman will be the backups. For once during training camp, I really think we have some breakout talent on the back third of the soon-to-be roster.

8. By GaryC on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I believe McIntyre was a teammate of that draft pick Alan Harper from Fresno state who the jets selected who never made it.

9. By uncle joe on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Forget the WildCat people,good Offenses don’t need that nonsense. Hey Randy,any word on Lowery? Coleman was my man but since he is Gone,Lowery moves into my “pulling for the guy”slot. With Digs gone-who I really think should be brought back-is Lowery getting any Safety Reps?

10. By Randy Lange on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

uncle joe, Dwight Lowery is listed at safety behind Jim Leonhard on the depth chart, just posted today on newyorkjets.com. He made a nice breakup on a short Sanchez slant during today’s practice in the fieldhouse, but other than that I haven’t watched No. 26 a lot.

11. By wayne on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I’m curious, if Jets are strapped for cash after signing Cromartie, where would they have been had their pipe dream for that CB come true. I know some of you want to revise history and make this that the Jets let Ellis go, but that was not the case. THEY WANTED HIM AT THEIR PRICE. MOST LIKELY ALL THEY COULD AFFORD…So now it’s time to start the new kids. Youth movement….WHERE? This is the NFL, ain’t no 29th pick just gonna walk in and dominate…You better hope Haynesworth isn’t a beast again, cause he makes everyone around him better..Jets will not be able to just walk thru the middle of that defense again..That’s a Bill Belichick defense. Dream that he’s not going to come up with something to fix it. DREAM.

12. By uncle joe on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I’m also expecting BIG things from Westerman. Rex put Jamal’s lack of reps on the JT signing but the truth is Gholston not only set our Team Back,but it severly hampered Westerman(a REAL FOOTBALL PLAYER)’s progress

13. By matt on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

My money’s been on Bellore and Taylor making the team as UDFA’s since they were signed.

14. By wayne on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Last I’ll say about the Ellis thing………I am not crying because Ellis is gone. He’s at the end of his career. Don’t take a rocket scientist to know that. Not sure Jets should have even attempted to retain him. But to say good riddance to a man who has given so much to Jets and gave them more than a year to make him an offer…………not a lot a class there………..His presence would have been beneficial to the rookies lighting it up against FAs in camp……..Team has lost lot of players who made big plays in tight games. Those tight games often go the other way the next year……I’ll wait till kid from Temple starts making plays in a regular season game before I go gaga.

15. By Jimmer on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I hope the UDFA’s are an improvement. We do so well it hurts the draft, duh. It’s all we get that’s even-steven. Final 4 2 yrs running is a hurtful thing without victories. If we could just get 1 title, i’t might seem better.

16. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, depth chart looks great, Randy. uncle joe, you’re right about the Wildcat but at least these guys Rex is talking about have a position, unlike Smith. A TD pass from LT now and then wouldn’t hurt. Anyway, you don’t hear Rex saying anything definite and with both Schotty and Moore to convince, I don’t think you will. wayne, no way of knowing if we offered Ellis what we could afford or what we think he’s worth. But the Jets’ front 7 has been so old and slow for so long that I’d support what they’re doing this yr even if Ellis wanted to play for free. And again, Jet Fan Fear of Draft Picks: How do you figure that a 29th pick is chopped liver? Ask Miles Austin, who we brought in a few yrs ago, where he was picked and how that worked out.

17. By TONY GARCIA on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

i like what the jets our doing were younger on d-line and bigger. also last years rookies will contribute. NEW ENGLAND is making desperate moves.do not forget its a long season.

18. By scjoe on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

This story sounds awfully familiar, I do believe I heard it before, only the name has changed, last time it was Kenwin Cummings. Anyone remember?

19. By scjoe on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

Say what you want about the wildcat people because Shotty will use it again, and I don’t blame him either. He will not wear it out like the fins have done but he will mix it up and use it in spots, what is so wrong with that? Whether or not it will be effective remains to be seen with out the likes of B Smith and Leon, but I think we will se some version of it during the year.

20. By kw65Fan on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

LOLOL…just read an article where Fat Albert hasn’t practiced in 4 days and Ellis still on PUP list. Patsies signed another DL…that makes it 19 defensive linemen in their camp…really scraping around to find players. We’re going to run right thru them…bunch of old and slow linemen. Where is Digs…sounds like the Waldo factor. Come on Mr. T…find some room for this ferocius ST andhard hitting safety…I am sure at this point you can get him on the cheap.

21. By Clarke W. Griswald on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

The Pats didn’t want to pay the big bucks for Seymour, now that didn’t work out so they pay 5 mil for a 34 year old Shaun Ellis. Haynesworthless and ocho stinko don’t worry me. Let’s see how it turns out before we start accusing the FO of being incompetent people. IN REX I TRUST!
    -Clarke Griswald.

22. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Career 7 TD-man LT throwing out of the Wildcat once in awhile might not be such a bad thing, scjoe, especially if we’re ahead. And especially since he has a full-time function on the roster anyway. If we can’t score any TDs in the first half again, though, I doubt Schotty or anyone else will see the lack of its use as one of our bigger problems.

23. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

scjoe, I notice other teams keep picking up vet LBs but not us. So I gotta wonder if this yr, unlike with Cummings, Rex is really going to play Westerman and keep Bellore, McIntyre, and maybe even another young LB. Hey, I see there’s already ten Achilles tendon injuries this yr in the league and quite a few ankle problems just on the Jets alone. For all their concern about the players, I guess Goodell, the owners, Smith, and the players themselves thought they were invincible and could just start up fine in August. Not quite…

24. By GaryC on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

see jet fan tom, that is why I stated all of the season ticket holders will get a inferior product on the field this year still at stratospheric prices,that is the one statement from Goodell I just don’t understand, and you know I back him most of the time.but when he says where making it better for the fan I say how.

25. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

“Inferior product” is your phrase that came to my mind, GaryC, as I was running on the treadmill at the gym, trying to keep my eyes off the 20-something hotties stretching out on the floor who’ll never give me the time of day, and watching the SportsCenter piece on the Achilles’ injuries. But speaking of timing, we’re paying a price for the time the players missed in camp this yr and if I was a ticket holder, I’d be furious. Even I wouldn’t blame Goodell exclusively for this one. I have as much disdain for Smith and his destructive and ultimately failed strategy of decertifying the union in the hope that the courts, of all things, would make everything right. Typical egotistical, overly left-brain lawyer wreaking havoc out in the real world.

26. By GaryC on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

yeah jet fan tom, once you get past 50 inferior product is in the eye of the beholder,one women who looks past the inferior product is all you need.

27. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

Ha! That’s a great way to look at it, GaryC, literally and figuratively!