• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show co-hosted by Jeane Coakley and Brian Custer with analysts Ray Lucas and Erik Coleman, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 15, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Two Jets Fighting for Jobs, Striving for the Stars

Posted by Randy Lange on August 22, 2011 – 4:22 pm

Updated 5:25 p.m. ET

It was a telling little four-play chapter in the story of the Jets’ 27-7 Sunday night triumph over Cincinnati. And for the bookend players on the drive, they both produced personal firsts that, despite the insistence of some, were definitely very meaningful preseason plays.

Linebacker Brashton Satele is the Hawaiian islander who’s been looking for a football opening for a while. He lost his ’09 season at UH due to a summer shoulder injury, then spent last summer with the Jets, was a final cut in September and a practice-squad addition in December. The numbers game could threaten the inside ‘backer’s roster spot again this season.

Today they may be threatening a little less after Satele turned in his little number with a minute left in the third quarter — his first pro interception.

“I couldn’t believe it,” Brashton beamed as he left the New Meadowlands Stadium locker room after the game. “I thought I was going to score. I thought I was moving but I guess I’m not that fast. They caught me. Everybody on the sideline was giving it to me, saying I should’ve dove in.”

He jumped Bruce Gradkowski’s throw for rookie wideout Andrew Hawkins and took off for the goal line just 36 yards away. Despite the ribbing from his mates, it was a tough sprint. As athletic as Satele is, he was ankle-tackled by Hawkins, who has 4.35 speed, at the Bengals 4.

I asked Brashton what his first pro pick felt like, what he’d compare it to outside of football. Food? I suggested. Drink? Romance?

“No,” he said with a laugh. “Maybe like catching a wave on a longboard back home. I really miss doing that.”

If anyone missed the connection to his home isles, he was wearing a T-shirt with the legend Hawaii’s Finest. I asked him about that.

“That’s my boy’s company. His name is Paulele,” Satele said. “Hawaii’s Finest is coming up.”

The clothing company the past few years has gone from “the humble beginnings of Molokai and Oahu” to “striving for the stars.” One of the tabs on its Website is “Ohana” or extended family. Indeed, the HI Finest family extends to the East Coast, as a photo of Pacific natives Brashton, Sione Pouha and Wayne Hunter in front of a large green logo here at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center will attest.

So Satele’s runback was significant but it didn’t do anything on the scoreboard, which still read Jets 20, Bengals 7 as the fourth quarter began.

Surfing that board would be up to Joe McKnight.

It may surprise some that before Sunday, McKnight had a 67-yard preseason punt return and a 158-yard rushing performance that concluded his first NFL regular season. But in his first 24 games of all kinds as a pro, he had not yet scored a touchdown.

“It means a lot to me,” McKnight told me a little reluctantly about speeding out of the tailback spot to catch Greg McElroy’s flat pass and beat rookie S Robert Sands to the pylon for his first TD to make it 27-7 on the first play of the last period. “But I don’t want it to mean everything to me. I just want to keep consistent. That was one of my big questions last year.”

I promised to keep his piece of preseason paydirt in perspective, but one of McKnight’s concerns as an NFL player is to “make everybody happy” with his play, and it would be a shame to let this event pass without talking with him about his current state of mind.

“I felt a lot of weight come off my shoulders when I scored, just a lot of weight,” he said. “I was happy. I was excited. … But I can’t dwell on it. I’ve got to move forward. I want to stay consistent.”

So no more dwelling on these single successful plays. Satele’s interception, McKnight’s TD, both will slip beneath the waves of preseason history soon enough. But maybe some personal striving for the stars achieved some liftoff in the Meadowlands the night before.

Day-After Notes

It’s still early, but after two NFL preseason weeks, but McElroy, a mere seventh-rounder, has the most passing attempts (48), completions (29) and TD passes (2), is tied for the most passing yardage (267) and has the highest rating (89.5) among this year’s well-populated rookie class of passers. … Nick Folk’s third-quarter 50-yard field goal was the Jets’ longest FG since John Hall bombed his 59-yarder — believed to be the franchise distance record in all games — at Philadelphia to close the 2001 preseason.

Namath-Era Jet Remembered

We’ve been informed today that Ray Abruzzese, 73, a starting safety on Joe Namath’s first two Jets teams in 1965′ and ’66, passed away.

Abruzzese, in fact, is part of Jets and Joe Willie lore. He and Namath roomed together for a short time at Alabama before Abruzzese entered the 1962 AFL and NFL drafts and started out his pro career from ’62-64 with the Buffalo Bills.

When Namath reportedly was deciding between whether to go with the NFL’s St. Louis Cardinals and the AFL’s Jets after the ’65 drafts, he told Jets owner Sonny Werblin that he’d lean toward the Green & White if they’d acquire Abruzzese. Werblin and Bills owner (then and now) Ralph Wilson struck a trade. Soon after, Namath picked the Jets. Fact or fiction? We’ll check in with Namath and see what he recalls in the coming days.

The Philadelphia-born Abruzzese (5’11″, 194) played in 61 pro games, 26 with the Jets, and made 10 interceptions, four with the Jets.

The organization sends its condolences to the Abruzzese family.

Tags: , , , , ,

41 Responses to “Two Jets Fighting for Jobs, Striving for the Stars”

1. By Cliff on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Kicking game needs a huge upgrade. Has not been addressed for 2 years now. Very inconsistent!

2. By 10and6jets on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Sounds like Joe McKnight should back up Greene like Greene backed up Thomas Jones in ’09. We should keep LT in his role as 3rd down back to preserve him and keep him effective in regular season, but especially (if) the playoffs. I think there is a real battle between Chris Jennings and Bilal Powell. I hope we keep both, using one spot for the PS. Either way, giving them a chance as the 3rd string tailback in case #1 and #2 go down still seems like a better idea than letting LT get crushed every down like last year.

3. By uncle joe on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

Here come the McElroy should start comments in,Three,Two,One……

4. By uncle joe on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

This Ellis kid plays to the whistle, got a little hustle to him!

5. By GaryC on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

I hope that the jets can find a way to keep Mauga, Mcintyre, Satele and westermann on this roster,try dealing scott or thomas to make room,better to deal someone sooner than later,that is how you stay on top.Let Youth Be Served.Again like I had said on previous post,McKnight has to play wide,as a slot or in the backfield on swing routes to take advantage of his elusiveness.cannot run between tackles.

6. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

McKnight is looking like he can supply the badly-needed outside burst that neither LT or SG can provide, and anybody who can’t see he’s gotten a whole lot better between the tackles isn’t watching very closely. I agree, 10and6, about carrying more RBs, both of the last 2 yrs we were short on them at the end. uncle joe, whatsamatter, you afraid Sanchez can’t take a little heat? McElroy looks like he’s in his 2nd yr or so and a few more games like this and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Jets risk him as the #2 this yr, albeit with Brunell still on the roster. RIP Abruzzese, one of those underrated early AFL players who had some good moments in those Saturday night games at Shea.

7. By TONY GARCIA on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

like what i see from new players.

8. By wayne on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

It’s too early uncle joe. we’re waitin for GQ to blow it during the season…lol

9. By wayne on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

The backup QB is the most popular QB on most nfl teams.

10. By charlijet on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

uncle joe – I was thinking the same thing …here we go with the “McElroy should start” thing….

11. By kw65Fan on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

2012 Uncle Joe…2012…said it before on this site…Tom64 and I agree MS better prove himself more this year and next (also his contract year) or else we will all be hearing “We want Mac”…We want Mac”….Its in our blood..we are JET fans. done it before…we will do it again….

12. By scjoe on Aug 22, 2011 | Reply

10and6, it would be wise to keep all three of those RBs, McKnight, Powell and Jennings given LTs age and Greene’s history of injury’s. I truly believe that if one is cut he will be picked up by another team. The fact that we only have one FB on the roster may factor into the decision to retain all three. I for one will be keeping a close eye on the Giants 2 punters this week hoping that Weatherford beats out Dodge. I would not mind seeing Dodge in a Jets uni. Uncle joe, I wasn’t sold on the McElroy selection much either, I know it is early but so far the kid looks OK. Based on what we have backing up Sanchez that is a good thing.

13. By IRA on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Sorry to hear the sad news. Condolences to the Abruzzese family.
    Would love to see McKnight follow up the Cincy game with another good game vs the Giants this week. Still think Powell has potential but it looks like they will need McKnight to contribute this year if they are going to make a run for the big prize.
    Nice pick by Satele just don’t know if he will make the 53. Rex usually keeps 8 LB’s. Harris,BT,Pace,Scott,Westerman,Mauga,Maybin,and either Bellore or McIntyre. So i am not sure where Satele fits in unless he bumps one of the last 2 out. Wouldn’t that be funny if he makes the team and doesn’t have to open that Pizza Store that Westhoff made comment to last summer on Hard Knocks.

14. By IRA on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

I hate this new KO rule. If the players truly have less injuries then i am all for it. Only time will tell. The Jets avg 25.2 yds per KO return last year 2nd behind the Bears who avg 25.4. After watching 2 preseason games so far i think that 25.2. avg could be close but since they are starting so far back in the endzone they only get it out to the 20-25 yd line.
    Randy,
    Any stats on the avg starting yd line after KO’s from last year to these 1st two games?

15. By IRA on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Sorry the Falcons were 1st with an avg return of 26.5.

16. By Tom Spicer on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

I have Jet season tickets section 124 right behind the end zone. I sit 26 rows straight back from fireman Ed. They are really good seats but this week I my father in law gave me his tickets to the game he couldnt make it. Anyway the tickets are on the 50 yard line in the 6th row amazing seats but thats not even the story. These seats let you in what they call the coaches club & let me tell you this if you ever have the chance to get these tickets even if it is for 1 game do it. You have access to a club where it is all you can eat & all you can drink & I am not talking burgers & dogs. I am talking about steak, shrimp, crabs, pasta, ham the whole 9 yards. Also you can walk on the field right behind the Jet bench.

17. By Tom Spicer on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

They let you bring your camera the players are less than 10 feet away. When Sanchez was warming up & riding the bike behind the bench we were less than 5 feet from him. You are in a enclosed area right by the players. It was great if you have the money DO IT!

18. By IRA on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

scjoe, Good point about Dodge and Weatherford. I am rooting for dodge to win the job and hope the Jets can resign Westherford. I think its safe to say one of the two could be the Jets punter.
    Depending on how ST’s will work out i see the roster as this.
    8 OL, 3 QB’s, 1 FB,3 TE,8 LB,7 DL,10 DB, 3 ST and then either 4 or 5 RB’s or 5 or 6 WR’s.
    I think the RB spot is a bigger concern then the WR spot. Problem is who can play ST’s better. Jennings or Logan, Turner, DePamla?

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

charlijet, I see nobody on this site saying anything as ridiculous as McElroy should start anytime soon. But I did see you just now acting like the good news that the lowest-drafted QB, picked by us, might actually be as good as we said he was on draft day is bad news, which is typical. I gotta wonder how some of the people on this site go to a job interview, ask a chick for her number, watch their kid play in Little League, I guess it’s all pre-ordained to fail. kw65′s got it right, McElroy could be a factor next yr if Sanchez doesn’t really take big strides on some levels this yr. Why is that idea so incredibly frightening to some folks? Who decided that asking MS to walk it like the entire organization talks it for him is a mortal sin?

20. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

I think that’s a really good point about the RBs being more important than the WRs, Ira. If you can’t get it done with Holmes, Mason, and Plax or they all get hurt, it ain’t your yr to begin with. Whereas Greene’s occasional injuries and LT’s age could really make it crucial for McKnight, Powell, and Jennings to come off the bench and do something. I know I get on folks about being too pessimistic, but I’ll prove I can be pessimistic too: I wouldn’t be all that surprised to see LT do not all that much this yr, he really faded last yr in the second half and I don’t know why we should expect him to do better this yr. Rex’s admission that he thought of using McKnight in the playoffs shows he knows the score on this one.

21. By scjoe on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Ira, I think Dodge would be the better of the two options for the Jets. My opinion anyway. Also, couldn’t agree more about the RB position being more of a concern then the WR position. That is not to say the WR position is the best it could be, just that the RB position is more of a concern for the reasons I listed earlier, LTs age and Greene’s injury history. I hope your final roster submission comes up accurate because I think all 5 RBs will be needed throughout the course of the season.

22. By izzy on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Mcknight might be a good start because of his explosiveness he provides. For some reason I just cant agree with LT playing the running back position. Everytime he gets the ball he only gains 1-2 yards. Maybe I wrong but he is inconsistent with gaining yards

23. By scjoe on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Ira, injuries not withstanding I don’t see Satele making the final cut either. I do see him on the practice squad with either Bellore or McIntyre but I don’t see all three on that squad should none make the final cut. As for Jennings, Payne, Turner or DePalma on STs I would say I like what DePalma has done so far but Jennings would probably be more of a safeguard at his position then DePalma would be at his.

24. By MarkP@JetsReality on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Got to get rid of this #77. After his first 8 plays, McElroy looks good. I like him.
    Jeff Cumberland looks real good but he has got to learn where the 1st down market is. Robby Felix has hit the Jet Lotto this year. He is a lock to make the squad. How many times do we have a chance to down the ball inside the 5 yard line on a punt when the Gunner either jumps early, jumps late, doesn’t see the ball etc. and it’s a touchback. When are we going to hold his majesty Mike Westoff accountable for anything? If it was up to me, I’d cut LT right now. With the way he runs out of gas in November, we could do better. Hey Chris Jennings, great run! Memories of Clifford McClain.

25. By wayne on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Way to go Vernon Gholston……Finally made an impact play…..Sadly it was not on the field…

26. By paul n on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

@ Uncle Joe..I won’t go that far, but you do have to respect the kids guts! Sanchez has never impressed me, thought it was a bad pick in the beginning. His basics are still shaky at times, footwork and arm position still need work, if he ever listens to the expertise they have sorrounded him with he could be great. Until then Mcelroy should back sanchez up..brunell is a waste of time.

27. By terry on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Way to put the hex on the rookie QB but you gotta hope he continues to get better because you never know when that backup might have to come in the game. Plus with Bru getting all these training camp injuries, the kid might move to that number 2 spot. The way he battled back in the first preseason game seems like a good sign, just in case.

28. By IRA on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

After roster cuts are made if a veteran RB is available and there should be a few i wouldn’t be shocked if they sign one and put Jennings on the PS. I really think the RB spot is very questionable after Greene and you just can’t expect LT or McKnight to carry the load.

29. By GaryC on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

look I praised the mcelroy pick also, but you can’t get ready to give sanchez the boot,the jets have already screwed up two picks by selecting Ainge and trading for O.Connell.Now where done with Sanchez after moving up to select him.this would not look good on Tanny’s resume after looking at all the appraisals he gets as a general manager.

30. By GaryC on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

jet fans now are looking at Matt Dodge, Giant fans were ready to kill him last year.this guy is like Graham was with jets, one boomer than a shank of 20 yards, just what were looking for.

31. By Jimmer on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Ira, correct me if I’m wrong. But didn’t the KO used to be on the 35? Players, coaches and fans all hated it. The KO is the most exciting play in the NFL.
    Spicer, nice way to rub it in to us “poor” fans who’ll never see those seats.
    MarkP, We used to have a guy like Cumberland, his name was Baxter. Never flashy or did anything great, but was always there when he was needed.

32. By Jimmer on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Sanchez is better that McElroy folks. McElroy can only throw the ball 40yds or so. It’s something every other team knows. But we’re following a tradition that I think goes back to Ron Wolf(I think), always draft a QB. Sometimes those guys prove better than high draft pick. Look at the jerk in Boston?
    McElroy has been beaten to a pulp behind the putrid backup OL we have. I’m yet to see him have “happy feet” at the snap, or stare 1 WR/TE down(as Sanchez does). He simply brings something different to the table. But he’s not beating out Sanchez no matter how long he plays. But he does seem to have that instinct that Sanchez only has sometimes.

33. By 10and6jets on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

First of all, Matt Dodge was the worst punter I have ever watched in my life last season. Keep him off our team! Second, LT will not and should not be cut. He just should not be used as a tailback. He can play ONLY his 3rd down role-catching passes in the flat, protecting Sanchez, and leading the team in crucial 2-minute moments. This is the guy we want, (a la Houston game last year), not some old vet we pick up, or some young kid with speed lacking exp. Brunell on the other hand I do not understand his purpose on the team. Sanchez is a captain and a leader, McElroy is brilliant and should be learning the ropes from Sanchez. I think we need an explosive QB at #2 (a la Vince Young) like Brad Smith could have been.

34. By Tom Spicer on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Jimmer, 1 I am 1 of those poor fans who cant afford those seats 2 How am I rubbing it in if I said if you have the money do it. The key word being the word IF. I was just telling my story to the Jet fans I had no idea that you got to go on the field or that it was all you can eat. When I saw the price I did not even bother to look at the details & many other guys probably did the same. I was not rubbing anything in anyones face as a matter of fact I am one of if the the biggest guys who has voiced his displeasure on this site with the PSL’S. Even telling guys my & my uncles situations. So I think you are a little off on this one.

35. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Jimmer, plenty of us on this site remember when the kickoff was from the 40, as it was for a long time. And while McElroy’s in no danger of starting now, you shouldn’t start calling his future for him. First of all, the TD pass Campbell dropped was about 48 yds, thrown somewhat across his body and on the run. If that’s what he can do in his 1st exhib game, I can’t wait to see what he does in his 2nd and 3rd yr. Did you see much of Sanchez on USC? He threw really badly other than 20-yarders over the middle with perfect protection, which is one reason his accuracy and consistency issues now don’t surprise me a bit. Spicer, thanks for the tip on the seats, it’s nice to know somebody’s looking out for us ex-New Yorkers should we roll into town.

36. By Charliejet on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Tom 64 … a typical jet fan seems to be your mantra. A typical response from typical tom. I was actually responding to uncle Joe’s sarcastic August 22nd remark “Here come the McElroy should start comments in,Three,Two,One……” scroll back and you will see that. Two years ago I thought that Vladmir Ducasse
    was too slow and what did you say “typical jet fan”. Tom what is the difference between a typical and a non-typical jet fan? Through out the years like everyone else on this blog we have laughed, loved, cried, been frustrated but have stuck with this franchise so I guess WE have been typical jet fans and by your own subliminal admission you are not a typical jet fan. What can I say tom? – Typical !

37. By Donovan Miller on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

GO JETS GO I’M CHEERING FOR YOU

38. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Charliejet, from now on I’ll refer to a Same Old Jet Fan, which I’ve done many times before on this site, in fact. He/she is the one who sees disaster lurking behind every success, who thinks anyone we let go is automatically the greatest Jet ever, and who thinks Jet football (and maybe life itself?) is a matter of one step forward, five steps back. Look me in the eye and tell me that you haven’t met and read posts from Jet fans who fit this profile.

39. By GaryC on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

NOT ME,Jet Fan Tom.

40. By Charliejet on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

64 tom (typical tom) – from now on…so again from your own lips, you have said that many times that you keep using the term same old Jets fan… the very cynicism that you accuse the “same old jet” fan of having is what you have for the fans themselves. “disaster lurking behind every success?” (and life itself)? Kind personal here don’t you think? Now you look at me in the eye and tell me you are not cynical about any of these fans? Sound like your taking your frustrations out on the fans. “Same old” “profile” I don’t know Tom. – The same old jet fan to me 1) wants this team to win, 2) loves the jets 3) wanted continued success (I will stick to my mantra one game at a time on this one). NOT seeing disaster behind every corner.

41. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Well, that’s fine for you, Charliejet, those numbered principals. But you’ve got to be joking if you think there aren’t a lot of Jet fans who see disaster everywhere, and I get tired of listening to them. And this site isn’t an encounter group or a high school debate, it’s a place where people get to mouth off freely in any way they like as long as they don’t get too personal. I’ll get personal, if only in general, now and again to get a laugh and I enjoy seeing others doing that, like when either scjoe or GaryC, I think it was, told me my anti-Wildcat remarks reminded him of Biden’s thing about Giuiliani working 9/11 into everything. Kind of like John Goodman working Vietnam into everything in THE BIG LEBOWSKI, now that I think of it…