• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Replay Jets Open Mic on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Mon., Sep. 08, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Tue., Sep. 09, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Wed., Sep. 10, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

Rex on Gholston: ‘I Think I’m More Than Fair’

Posted by Randy Lange on August 23, 2011 – 3:34 pm

Update 5:40 p.m. EDT

Vernon Gholston returned to New Meadowlands Stadium — now known as MetLife Stadium — on Monday night as a member of the Bears in their MNF game against the Giants. Afterward, Gholston took a few rushes at Rex Ryan and the Jets for his past two seasons before he was free to sign with Chicago.

Today Ryan was asked about VG and while he still said he has a soft spot in his heart for Gholston, he said he disagreed with the former sixth pick of the draft’s feeling that he didn’t get a fair shot with the Rex Jets.

“My job is not to make one player better, to feature one player,” Ryan said at his noon news conference at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. “When I came here, I thought my job was to build the best defense I could possibly build. It’s definitely hard to argue that we weren’t successful in building this defense for the betterment of the New York Jets. Could there have been better defenses called to make Vernon a better player or look like a better player? I’m sure there was. But my concern was to make the New York Jets a better defense, not just one defensive player.

“I would’ve liked to have Vernon back,” said Ryan, reiterating something he hinted at during his early summer book tour. “I thought he was getting better. Do I think he was ever going to be Deacon Jones? No.

“Nobody likes hearing negative comments or whatever. But if that’s how he feels, that’s how he feels. I’m perfectly comfortable with myself. And if there’s a problem that somebody has, I’m not going to please everybody. That’s not the position I’m in. I’m confused because I think I’m fair. I think I’m more than fair.”

Who’s the Backup?

Mark Brunell’s status for today’s closed practice is out with a right calf injury. His availability for the Giants game is also up in the air, which would leave the Jets’ effective QB depth chart as Mark Sanchez-Greg McElroy-Drew Willy. For the Giants and Eagles, that’s OK, but for the regular season? Ryan was asked if he’s looking to bring in another veteran free agent QB.

“We’re not looking at another quarterback,” Rex said. “We think Brunell’s going to be fine.”

But the coach is also thinking fine things about McElroy, who we stated Monday at this time had the best stat line among this year’s crowded rookie class of NFL QBs.

“He’s the highest-rated rookie quarterback — I saw that in one of you guys’ articles,” Ryan told reporters. “I do feel good with the kid. He’s smart, a Rhodes Scholar type — we’ve got nothing in common. But he’s good. I like him.”

I Want My MTV

Ryan on NT Martin Tevaseu, a.k.a. MTV: “This guy’s coming. He’s got that anchor. He’s improved so much from last year. … He goes to work every day and tries to get better. He actually got some pass rush [vs. Bengals], push in the pocket. He’s great in the running game, hard to move. And he’s a great teammate. I’m really impressed with him … but the bowling, obviously, not so much.”

In a team bowling night last Friday, Tevaseu rolled a 58. As a consequence of the low score of the night, MTV has to sit in on an offensive meeting, so the plan is for him to huddle with the quarterbacks later this week.

Rex Cetera

Of all the injury news, perhaps most interesting was on Rob Turner, who some had speculated was done for a while, perhaps the season, from his leg fracture at Houston. Today Ryan said of Turner, “It looks like he’s going to be out several weeks, so we’re not going to put him on IR right now. That’s not our plan.” It would be great news if the versatile Turner can come around relatively quickly, but as Ryan cautioned, “we’ll see eventually how it goes.” No truer words were ever spoken, of Turner or of any of us.

Other injury news: RB Shonn Greene (foot) will go through practice but will be monitored, G Brandon Moore (hip) is full-go, TE Jeff Cumberland (hamstring) and rookie ILB Nick Bellore (calf) will be reevaluated after individual drills, and LB Calvin Pace (groin) will be monitored. All of these players will be limited: WR Derrick Mason (knee), DT Sione Pouha (knee), DT Marcus Dixon (knee), LB Bart Scott (leg).

Ryan on Vlad Ducasse’s game vs. Cincinnati: “I was happy with the way Vlad played. It was a bounceback game. I thought he played pretty well.” … And on LB Aaron Maybin, who got his first sack as a Jet on Sunday: “We don’t need him to be an every-down player. He’s going to stick on this team based on his pass rush. Clearly he’s tied into the football, he gets off the ball well, he has natural lean toward the quarterback. He was productive [vs. Cincy]. … Ryan announced three releases from the roster: FB Brian Toal, OL Curtis “Jake” Duron and LS Wilson Raynor. The roster is down to 81.

Quiver and Quake

So yes, some of us did feel the earthquake that rumbled up and down the Eastern U.S. this afternoon. The Jets complex swayed and shook noticeably for 10 or 15 seconds, and when it subsided, it brought many of the business staffers on the second floor — including GM Mike Tannenbaum — out of their offices and cubicles and into the hallway.

“We’re evaluating the earthquake,” Mike T told reporters in GM-ese after this afternoon’s practice concluded. “Usually when the building shakes, Rex is laughing. That was my first instinct.”

But seriously, Tannenbaum said, “It was kind of surreal,” adding that even though there are no visible signs of damage to the building or the grounds, “safety first, we’ll have an engineer come in and check everything. But this place is rock solid.”

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Rex on Gholston: ‘I Think I’m More Than Fair’”

1. By wayne on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Vernon, Vernon, Vernon.

2. By uncle joe on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Randy,the stat on McElroy I believe was posted on your Radar first,,,just saying

3. By will on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Did Vernon have that same spooked look he had on draft night when he was being interviewed.

Rex or Gholsten? I almost caused a massive eastcoast earthquake trying to decide between the two.

4. By uncle joe on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Not expecting the world from Maybin but in three plays he did more than Gholston did in three years. I was screaming on these Radars to draft Cromartie and that Gholston was a bust, I also wanted Calais Cambell with that pick who went in like round three but would have still been better than Vernon

5. By Jimmer on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

will, nice one.
    uncle joe, there was just something about that draft I didn’t like. I remember feeling we should swap that pick for next years pick with anybody. That year just felt wrong.

6. By GaryC on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

the thing about that draft was that gholston had a big game against Jake Long in the michigan ohio state match and everyone made a big deal about it,now Jake Long is one of best tackles in game and gholston is still looking for a sack.

7. By uncle joe on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

I always felt Mangini begged for Gholston for fear that NE would get him,I think the ONLY two people in the world that had him that high were Mangini and Kiper,both are irrelevant now. If Mangini would only stop trying to be Belicheck and just be himself I think he would actually be pretty succesful.

8. By Chicago Bob on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

We need to put the Gholston thing behind us. Every team has their busts, not just the Jets. Heck, the Jaguars traded a ton to move up to get Derrick Harvey two picks after Gholston and he is gone. The year before the Raiders took Jamarcus Russell with the #1 overall pick. In 2006 with the #3 pick the Titans took Vince Young. In 2005 the top 10 picks were Alex Smith, Ronnie Brown, Braylon Edwards, Cedric Benson, Cadillac Williams, Pacman Jones, Troy Williamson, Antrelle Rolle, Carlos Rogers and Mike Williams – the next two guys taken were DeMarcus Ware & Shawne Merriman – it is safe to say all those top ten teams have been kicking themselves for years after passing on those two. When you look at our recent drafts, we really can’t complain.

9. By Tom Spicer on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Gholston should keep his mouth shut he stole money from us for 3 years

10. By Troy on Aug 23, 2011 | Reply

Chicago Bob nailed it !!!!!!!!!!!!! every team has a blown pick hear or there..Even Ronnie Brown (like stated above) was a num#2 overall ,he’s no longer a fin and never lived up to the 2nd overall pick, New England took the wr Chad Jackson in the 1st round he never played ..Buffalo has a long list of 1st 2nd round bust….etc.etc..I think our GM has been one of the best if not the best at drafting talent and signing FA talent…Now ,im hoping Kyle Wilson gets better,cause he still struggled in the slot against Cincy ,everyone is going to go 3 wr and pick on him,as long as Revis and Cro are out there…Its easier to judge picks when thier not picked in the top 10..

11. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Nice rundown, Chicago Bob, I agree that we’ve done well enough in the draft over the last ten yrs or so. The bigger problem I see is not playing the guys we pick and finding out what they can do. Which reminds me, Cimini’s way off with what he says about Wilson. The “ten-yard-pass” he gave up in the red zone was the second pass in a row that CIN threw at him in one-on-one with the whole middle of the field before the end zone open and zero pass rush. Wilson tackled very aggressively on both plays, giving up no YAC and looking Revis-like, so he actually held up pretty well in that series.

12. By GaryC on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

people look what Ted Thompson has done with the packers,Look at his draft picks and his college free agents that he has brought in like zombo and sam shields,you start with him as gm then the rest follow,lets speak the truth, even over what the patriots have done.

13. By dan on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Funny thing that this is the most we ever heard about anything in reference to Gholston. He made it to the papers and web sites due to something he said not anything he did on the field. Please Vernon you were given a fair chance and a nice chunk of change so stop crying and go play some football. I wish you the best but please stop being silly and get a sack. What most pro atheletes do to their former team is shut up and prove them wrong. I hope you do. No offense but I think I can take Rex and his word.

14. By dan on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Is Vernon in anyway related to Blair?

15. By Ed in Tucson on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Since Muhammad can’t go to the mountain, the mountain went to Muhammad, that was the earthquake you felt. Looking at the dude, it looks like Muhammad IS the mountain.

16. By russ on Aug 24, 2011 | Reply

Even the kicking tee did a better job…go away vernon and pretend you were great…