• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show co-hosted by Jeane Coakley and Brian Custer with analysts Ray Lucas and Erik Coleman, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 15, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 22, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 29, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Rex: Maybin ‘Played Well and He’s On Our Roster’

Posted by Eric Allen on September 3, 2011 – 8:12 pm

It’s never just your average day when you make 28 transactions. Such was the case for the Jets today as they waived 26 and made a pair of trades. One big name who wasn’t on the move was Aaron Maybin, a former first-round pick of the Bills attempting to revive his career with the Jets.

“He did have some moments in that Philly game,” said head coach Rex Ryan in reference to the Jets’ Thursday preseason finale. “He had 1.5 sacks and he actually missed another one. Certainly he played well and he’s on our roster. He is one of those guys we had talked about. We had three spots open and I thought his play rushing the passer — that’s what landed him on the roster.”

Despite tying for the team lead with three interceptions in 2010 and taking two back for scores, Dwight Lowery will be an opponent for New York’s AFC representative in Week 2 when the Jacksonville Jaguars come to MetLife Stadium.

“It’s an opportunity for Dwight to go to a place where he’s really going to be used to compete for that starting nickel job, so I think it was kind of good for Dwight to go to Jacksonville to get more playing time,” Ryan said of the exchange that brought an undisclosed conditional pick back. “For us, we just felt we had the depth we need in the back end.”

Lowery didn’t play at all against the Eagles and the Jets were loaded at safety with Jim Leonhard healthy, Eric Smith and Brodney Pool back in the fold and Emanuel Cook packing a punch on special teams as well.

An early August injury to Rob Tuner hurt the Jets’ O-line depth, so acquiring Caleb Schlauderaff from Green Bay made sense. They liked the 6’4”, 302-pound rookie, a Utah product, when they were preparing for the draft. But Schlauderaff, who Ryan said practiced center with the Utes, might not necessarily be the first option at C if Nick Mangold went down.

“Will our best option to put Matt Slauson at center if something were to happen? Maybe so. We’ll see what we have here,” he said.

The Jets have three players who figure to be out for an extended bit of time, but there are no immediate plans to place the aforementioned Turner (right leg), WR Logan Payne (left wrist) or QB Greg McElroy (right thumb) on season-ending IR.

“It’s hard to tell when exactly guys will be back,” said the third-year head coach. “We’ll take a look at it, but right now we have no plans to put them on injured reserve.”

It can’t be ruled out that the Jets will add another quarterback as a couple of their former signalcallers — Kellen Clemens and Kevin O’ Connell — are both free. But as of this evening, rookie swingman Jeremy Kerley is the team’s third QB.

“He’s a young man who can take snaps. We did have him take some snaps underneath center as well as in the shotgun,” Ryan said. “That would be our No. 3 right now.”

Although the Jets don’t have any backup at fullback, the hope is John Conner (left ankle) will be ready for the season opener against the Cowboys on Sept. 11.

“He’s spending like 15 hours a day in treatment, so he’s trying to get back and I would never bet against him,” Ryan said. “I’m anticipating that he will be back, but we’ll know later in the week as this thing gets going if that’s a real possibility. I believe it is. He’s doing everything in his power to get back.”

Rest assured Mike Tannenbaum and the personnel department are scouring the waiver wire tonight. The roster is an ever-changing document, but two who should be feeling worthy of celebrating are rookie inside ‘backer Nick Bellore, a Central Michigan product, and pass rusher Garrett McIntyre, a Canadian Football League transfer.

“Both those guys did extremely well in the preseason. They’re tough, smart football players and they earned it,” Ryan said. “They came to a team that in my opinion has the best defense in football. Those two guys really stepped up and they also did a nice job for Westy on special teams, so they have a lot to be proud of.”

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 39 Comments »

39 Responses to “Rex: Maybin ‘Played Well and He’s On Our Roster’”

1. By will on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

RichCimini (Beat Writer / Columnist) Aaron Maybin shouldn’t get too comfortable. He’s hardly a lock to be around for the season opener, per source.

2. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I think what happened is Rex decided that Kroul and Felix weren’t going to make it at G and C and told Mr T to start looking. I’ll be surprised if we don’t pick up a vet backup C, a much more pressing need than a backup QB. If Mangold goes out for even one series, who snaps the ball, Caleb S? No way. I also don’t think moving Lowery is just about giving him a chance to start somewhere. 3 guys at S, one coming off a big injury, plus a new guy at that position isn’t exactly depth. Again, I think S candidates like Morgan and others didn’t measure up and now we’ll consider others. Pardon my mistake on Caleb S, a rookie, NFL site had a misprint. I know he was a late-round pick but his college record is pretty impressive. Still, he’s no backup C.

3. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Another thing about any future moves to keep in mind: I’ve been as critical of anyone of what I see as Rex’s failure to take charge of the O. That said, it’s becoming clear that the only guys from the Mangini era that he’s really interested in are those who are great, like Mangold, Brick, and Revis. Everybody else from that time is either gone or on very thin ice. Yes, we have a very high holdover of starters from last yr but yes, more and more of them are guys Rex brought in. Another thing to keep in mind is if I’m reading Eric and Randy’s stats right, Conley is kicking very well on our home field, which is the minimum that you ask of your P. And I still think Folk, like Schotty, could go in mid-season if he disappoints again.

4. By GaryC on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

look, if jets are looking for a backup qb,packers let go graham harrell who was in the run and shoot at texas tech and had a good camp with packers,also if you want to pluck the patriots brandon tate was let go.donald strickland over lowery, again rex takes the veteran over the younger guy,and another mangini guy is gone,and he is a mangini guy.

5. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Vet C Geoff Hangartner, surprisingly cut by the Bills, is a guy I’m sure Mr T would like to talk to if he isn’t already. In his 7th yr and he started a few of those yrs, so he’s experienced but young enough (29) that we don’t necessarily have to unload him after only 1 or 2 seasons with us. Plus, of course, he’d probably be so grateful to go from the lowly Bills to the rising Jets that we’d be able to sign him for almost nothing, especially since he’s probably not up for relocating out of the New York area just as the season starts. I see Sheppard couldn’t stick with OAK, so we cut bait smartly there. Rex says Maybin’s day-to-day. As Ditka used to say in that famous Saturday Night Live sketch, “This one’s not over yet!”

6. By scjoe on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

A couple of names to keep an eye on, Meriweather (NE) Nick Harris (P, Det) Jordan Black OT (N.O.) McQuistan (OL Ten) Not a whole lot besides those.

7. By russ on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Eric… Did the German kid make it (Bernung?)

8. By Randy Lange on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

russ, LB Matthias Berning was waived.

9. By Eli on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I can’t believe they kept mcknight-jenning outperformed him. I will never be a fan of Kyle Wilson-(I wanted the Jets to draft Javier Arenas now with KC)Ellis Lankster played better. Bellore-Maybin good pick-up.

10. By commentman on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

@will, if cimini doesnt like someone, he says as much bad things as he can about that person, example is Folk, I dont know what they did to him, but he sure holds a grudge against them, and my motto is, dont listen to what people speculate, untill it happens on this website, this website only tells of the transactions when it truly happens and it is verified, cimini goes by his “sources”

11. By will on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Yea I agree. I wonder if other columnist call him out on all his negativity towards the jets…

12. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I don’t see how a team that expects to win the Super Bowl starts the season without a backup C who’s played the position for a few yrs. Rex saying that he thinks Caleb S can “make the transition” to C — when, by next Sunday? — has to be the biggest attempt at misdirection he’s ever attempted. Hangartner would be perfect and at this point he’s desperately needed. Eli, Jennings had one run of consequence, he didn’t outperform McKnight at all. Plus Jennings might clear waivers and end up on the practice squad whereas say what you want about McKnight so far, more than a few teams would snap him up if he was available.

13. By 38 year fan on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Randy I am shocked and dissappointed they couldn’t keep Patrick Turner ? He looked great ..What’s the deal ? any scoop ?

14. By MarkP@JetsReality on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Cuts Jets should make but do not have enough guts:
    1) Bryan Thomas-Cannot put more than one good game in a row. A virtual non factor in games.
    2) Bart Scott-No player ever said so much and has done so little. Has he had any impact plays in two years?
    3) LaDainian Tomlinson-He looks even slower hitting the hole now than the last 9 games of last season.
    4) Mark Brunell-Is this guy on Welfare?
    5) V. Ducasse-His actions speak.
    Kudos to:Nick Bellmore,Marcus Dixon,Josh Mauga & Jeff Cumberland for their effort on every play they are on the field. Where is Westerman??????

15. By Gabriel on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Eli, jenning did not outperform joe mcknight at all, one 69 yard run doesnt make a running backs roster status soild, it will open eyes but he has to be very talanted to convince the staff to release mcknight for jennings. Kyle wilson has improved alot and has worked with Revis the entire off season during the lockout his matured and learned. I am a bit confused that the Jets released Scotty Mcknight i know he hasn’t been terrific but the jets did draft him for a reason. I like the roster moves but on others I do not, i hope we sign brashton satele or robby felix to the practice squad, both did pretty darn good through out the preseason. Any thoughts on who the jets should sign to the practice squad jet fans?

16. By GaryC on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

isn’t it funny after I made the comment that ted thompson was the best gm in football the jets go to the packers to get offensive line help.

17. By IRA on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

his 53 is still not set in stone. Only reason they haven’t signed a veteran as of now is because they would have to guarantee the contract. After week #1 that will change. Only veteran they will sign is a QB and hope its Kellen. Then they would put McElroy on IR. Lets face it he is out for at least 6-8 weeks if he had a pin put in his thumb on his throwing hand. They will go into the season will no veteran b/u OL and see what happens. And they still have to see about Conner. They can or have already put a gameplan together to use Mulligan as an H-back if Conner can’t go. They will just use more 3 wide sets and two TE’s sets. I can’t see them bringing back T-Rich until week #2 if they had to.

18. By Hans on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

am I the only one who wants to see double tights with Cumberland looking as red hot as he was in pre-season?

19. By bill on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

i like maybin,,something i c good about him,,,but i liked woodhead too ohwell

20. By GaryC on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Jet fan tom, what does it say when a bust from the bills makes the jet roster,Gholston, a bust with the jets did not make the bears roster.

21. By GaryC on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

reading up on schlauderaff on a packers website,it was stated he was a academic all american and brings a lot of nasty to his game,packers don’t make many mistakes when drafting, so he probably got caught up in a numbers game.If vlad doesn’t pick up his game this guy might take his spot.

22. By Pranit on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

i can’t believe they kept Maybin…he indeed looks like a bust.

Kyle wilson, Ducasse look like liabilities at that point…cut your losses than hold onto the mistakes..accept them and move on…

Last two drafts haevn’t been productive..this year also looks murky,,with ellis etc..Hopefully Wilkerson will turn out decent…fincgers crossed…

23. By Pranit on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I think we should take a hard look at MerriWeather…..he might be a good pick up…

24. By ddh on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

With all these changes this year its a bit unsettling, I’m not criticizing, but it cant be good for the chemistry, and in recent years its seems to have occurred frequently. While they brought in some big name players, so talent isn’t an issue, but between (some) their age, and chemistry with Mark and then compounded with such a short off season, let just say I have a very nervous excitement about this season. Thank God the other 31 teams are somewhat in the same boat.

25. By Frank on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

TanWoody should bring in Gurode cut by the Cowboys for salary cap reasons ….for a look he can play center and guard and has the experience we need the question will be price.
    Never cared for Lowery he reminds me a lot of Sanchez he makes big plays but is more of a liability than an asset. He was a constant tease just when you thought he was ready to take the next step he would give up big plays and seem lost out there.
    I am really worried about the offense there was nothing to get excited about in preseason. On defense we never addressed the lack of speed in the middle of the defense. Maybin has flashed and shows a real burst hopefully he will help with the pass rush.

26. By roger muller on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I don’t like the fact that the Jets dumped Dwight Lowery unless it was his choice. They should try to get Kellen Clements back although i don’t see that happening any time soon. Who knows what Mark Brunell has left plus he hasn’t played this pre season. Mark Sanchez is no Tom Brady so I still have my doubts about him taking the Jets to the playoffs nevermind the Super Bowl. Shonn Greene is not the answer at running back. L.T. could be the feature back for about 6 or 7 games. The Jets in my opinion should start looking for another running back or they are not going to even come close to the Super Bowl. I’ve been a Jet fan since Al Dorow Quarterbacked the New York Titans so I’ve seen every Jet team there is.

27. By dave on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Well, i am ready to give my grade on LAST YEARS draft:

1) Kyle Wilson – D
    2) Vlad Ducasse – F
    3) Joe McKnight – D
    4) John Connor – C

From a big Mike T fan this is looking pretty bad right now. IRA, even you can’t make me feel good about this group

28. By GaryC on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

to hans, I for one was talking double tightend set, that is why I mentioned Rudolph of Notre Dame at time of draft.REAlity speaks smartly with his first four points,and with Ducasse,his first move when he blocks is pushing the face mask,this will get you a lot of penalties when season rolls around,still intend he will be a guard,if anything.no way a tackle.One final point about rex and why he has Maybin,I believe his ego was put down a little when he couldn’t make gholston a player,now he is going to try again with Maybin.

29. By 38 year fan on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Pranit , To think we could have picked Gronkowski , rather than Kyle Wilson … and Ducasse , I don’t want to be negative so I am not going to comment on him….But I must dissagree on Maybin . I say give him a shot . Maybe different coaching makes all the difference …And lord knows we need a Pass Rush .

30. By Anthony From Yonkers on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I think the one guy I was hoping to see make it and seems like a player is Matt Berning. If you watched the preseason he looked like he was playing at a very different speed than everyone else. I remember watching the game and Bart Scott was saying something to Rex in regards to Matt Bening. I would hate to see him sign with another team and excel. I think if anything we should look to sign him to the practice squad.

I am very concerned about the O Line, and I dont like our depth at running back. Lt looks slow but then again our OL was not 100%. Also cumberland should be someone we use. He catches everything and has speed to create some problems…..

31. By gv25 on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Too late. Da Bears signed Merriweather. Too bad.

32. By Cliff on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Matt Dodge – Get him

33. By Longbranch on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I cant believe we kept Folk. There has to be another kicker out there that is more consistant than Folk. He misses to many easy fieldgoals. I have no confidence in him what so ever.

34. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

It doesn’t say anything that Maybin made our roster, GaryC, because we just released him today. I thought it was weird that Rex raved about Woodhead last yr and released him, but what the Jets did today is really beyond the valley of the beyond. I think Ira is right about guaranteeing the contracts but picking up all these draft choices from other teams isn’t gonna solve the problem of depth at G, C, and S. It’s no big deal to put McElroy on IR, since as Ira said he wouldn’t have started practicing seriously till halfway thru the yr. But O’Connell’s just gonna sit on the bench in back of Brunell and neither of them are gonna take us to the SB if Sanchez goes down. Rex seems less sure of himself this yr. to me.

35. By GaryC on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

dave, your post made me laugh,in a good way.Saying I have seen ENOUGH of last years draft already,I’LL grade them now so I don’t have to see them anymore.

36. By gbaby/nyjets on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

i know his on and off field difficulties makes you look away, but dang it maybin has speed although he cannot play the run, we need that push comming off the end to make qbs notice if anything.. i feel he can do wonders all of course if he manages the playbook and catches on

37. By gbaby/nyjets on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

why oh why did we waive him… i also feel at this point bart scott is a bit overrated… he cant even stand strong/firm against the run, big backs pose a problem for him, and when he blitzes it always seems like they stop him in his tracks, he seems like a one trick pony…

38. By Gabriel on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

dave, come on Kyle Wilson and John Connor don’t deserve bad grades. Why i am kinda schocked that the jets waived maybin, I would like to see brashton satele on the practice squad

39. By Row on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Wow! You guys Kyle Wilson is a great man corner playing in a zone with the Jets.. The gaping problems are on offense. The running game is non-existent and Sanchez is way off with no emotion on the sidelines. With the new run stoppers on the DL, the LB’s must step up.