• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 11:50 AM EST Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Herbie Teope of Chiefs Digest in Kansas City. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from Arrowhead Stadium.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Fri., Nov. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 08, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

Day Later, O’Connell Back, McElroy IR’d, Maybin Waived

Posted by Eric Allen on September 4, 2011 – 2:19 pm

Updated, 2:30 p.m. ET

A day after making 28 transactions, the Green & White made eight more moves to their active roster Sunday, including the release of OLB Aaron Maybin and the addition of a No. 3 quarterback in ex-Jet Kevin O’Connell on waivers from Miami as rookie Greg McElroy was placed on season-ending injured reserve.

The Jets also claimed S Andrew Sendejo (Dallas), OL Colin Baxter (San Diego) and WR Mardy Gilyard (St. Louis) off of waivers today.

With rookie WR Jeremy Kerley as the only option at third QB heading into the season-opener against Dallas, the Jets changed their plans and claimed O’Connell off waivers from the Dolphins. The 6’5”, 250-pound O’Connell, a third-round pick of the Patriots in 2008, is familiar with Brian Schottenheimer’s system and was with the team in 2009 and ’10.

McElroy, who had a solid preseason in completing 61 percent of his passes with two scores, injured his thumb against the Eagles and will have to sit out the year.

Maybin, the 12th overall selection in the 2009 draft, led the Jets with 2.5 sacks in summer play. But he was behind Garrett McIntyre on the depth chart and what may have separated the two was special teams ability.

Sendejo (6’1”, 209) is in his second pro season and appeared in two games with the Cowboys in 2010. Baxter (6’4”, 295), a rookie from Arizona who was in the Chargers training camp, will provide insurance behind Nick Mangold. And Gilyard, a fourth-round pick of the Rams in 2010, caught six passes for 63 yards last year in St. Louis while averaging 22.3 yards on 16 kickoff returns.

To make room for the wavier claims, the Jets also released NT Martin Tevaseu and CB Isaiah Trufant.

Seven Signed to Practice Squad

The Jets also just announced the signing of seven players to their practice squad. All seven were with the Jets this training camp and were final cuts on Saturday. The P-squad signees are TE Josh Baker, LB Matt Berning, G Trevor Canfield, DT Jarron Gilbert, G Matt Kroul, CB Julian Posey and WR Patrick Turner.

Tags: , , , , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 69 Comments »

69 Responses to “Day Later, O’Connell Back, McElroy IR’d, Maybin Waived”

1. By Karan on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Dang it, Patriots picked up Brian Waters, I think we should have jumped on that, could have been good for O-line depth. I thought Rex was big on Martin Tevaseu, and Meriweather has been signed by the Bears :/.

2. By GaryC on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Gilyard is the only name familiar with with new signees,thought he would be more impact coming out of Cincinnati in last years draft,maybe he will work out.wished jets would have signed eddie jones to practice squad,he showed pretty good skills.

3. By Neal on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Odd. I thought Rex really liked MTV.

4. By scjoe on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Well, if we have learned anything it would be that if Rex builds you up and gushes about you during camp and preseason that could only mean you will be cut. See, Maybin, Kroul, Satele, Zane Taylor, Tevaseu, or how about Woodhead and Cummings.I will go on record right here and say that if the K/P remains status quo it will be regretted. Again, if everything goes according to script Sendejo (Dallas) will be gone right after the opening game with the Cowboys.

5. By Hans on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Hey Randy, is Wayne Chrebet gonna do a weekly article this year like he did last year? I really enjoyed reading his thoughts and insight.

6. By Randy Lange on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Hans, I don’t know, but I hope to chat with Wayne this week for a story.

7. By scjoe on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Much has been said about some of last years draft class, Wilson, McKnight and Ducasse. My take, and to be as discreet as I can be so as not to upset 64 so much is, all three need to step up big time and asap! I believe that is a statement no one can argue with. I think there were a few serviceable O lineman out there that could have stepped in instead of giving up a future pick for one who was probably going to be cut anyway. But don’t mind me, just venting.

8. By bill on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

man i liked maybe,,hope its not another woodhead blunder,,,,

9. By bill on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

oops i meant maybin….

10. By Westcoast GangGreen on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Jet Nation .. Hope Sanchez just doesn’t get hurt because the QB backup situation is not very reliable at this time..

11. By mikethee1 on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

rex gonna regret getting rid of maybin it is another woodhead blunder we have no pass rush maybin was our best bet on the edge hope im wrong but i doubt it

12. By rocky on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Is Donald Lee still available? Lee, cut by Eagles, burnt the Jets in the last pre-season game. Jets could use another sure handed TE.

13. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

scjoe, it’s the second yr for that draft class so yeah, they have to step up. But you have to give ‘em a chance to do so, that’s the way it works, not cut them in a fit of pique. I agree with you about Rex talking about guys, but like with his SB talk he’s convinced “this is my style, I’ll never change,” blah blah blah. Problem is we seem to be treading water picking up and dropping a lot of rookies and second-yr guys and not doing anything of any real consequence. I hope Ira’s right about the contract thing because one single acquisition like Hangartner at C would be more impactual than all this other nonsense. 2nd yr in a row that we’ve done a lot of largely pointless shuffling at the last minute and still left ourselves vulnerable.

14. By GaryC on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

to everyone who questions,and I also the cutting of tevaseau,pouha has been injured most of preseason and even the jets themselves said mtv was playing better than ellis,and now you cut him.Pouha better stay healthy because if Ellis has to carry the load by himself it will be a long year.

15. By GaryC on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

If the jets were so loaded in the defensive backfield which is the reason he gave to get rid of lowery than why does rex bring in a safety from dallas, who are always looking for help in that area.getting rid of another Mangini soldier rears it’s ugly head again.

16. By johnny a on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

i dont get it; We need pass rushers. in the little time we had maybin here, he showed enough to give this a kid a shot. We need help at safety. no matter how much I appreciate & respect leonahrd and eric smith, they’re big hitters n a little bt of a liability in pass coverage, which is obvious when u see the Pats te’s running down the seem for big gains. Merriweather’s cut by the pats, in the prime of his career and he goes to Chicago. IF IT WAS A JET THAT WAS CUT HE WOULD BE IN NEW ENGLAND SIGNING A CONTRACT RIGHT NOW. INSTEAD WE GRAB A SAFETY WHO NOBODY HAS HEARD OF?? We need help on the line and andre gurode is cut and brian waters is out there AS WELL, & WHAT HAPPENS? GURODE GOES TO THE RAVENS & WATERS GOES TO THE PATS! C’MON Mr. T!

17. By kevin on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Danny Woodhead is the best receiver in the NFL , i will never get over letting him go!

18. By jorge on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

last years class has done nothing but make me wonder about our scouts not looking good for them the class connor hurt Ducasi is sorry and wilson looks like he belongs in the arena leage we need to draft better so far our undrafted guys have played better

19. By donal on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I agree with scjoe about giving up a draft pick for a player who was probably going to be cut. Is he that much better than OL Colin Baxter (who we got for nothing?) Also, I certainly expect that we receive a higher pick from Jax for Lowery than we gave to GB for their player. But you never know with Tanny, who gave away Vilma for peanuts.

I also question whether the WR, OL, and S they recently signed will make the team better than MTV or Maybin would.

20. By Eli on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I agree with scjoe all 3 were bad choices and will be flops. I’m won’t dare say i’m an expect but maybin was hungry…yep it’s another WOODHEAD MOVE!

21. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Kudos, johnny a and GaryC, this is all part of why I just revised my projection on the story ahead to a possible 8-8 year.

22. By frank on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

the FO is clueless and for all you that sings Mr T’s praise. well he’s no genius. this season would bring the Jets ego down. I see this team going5-11, 6-10 at best.

23. By GaryC on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

sounds like the bloom has worn off a little on the rex and tanny regime.no more suggestions that they are the best tandem in football history,drafting revis,mangold, harris and brick is less than one tenth of the team,much more needs to be accomplished,not trading picks away so you have depth.pursuing one player in free agency while others got away and you were left grasping for straws.arrogance said all players were coming to your door, salivating to play for you,WRONG.teams have bypassed you but you say you will win the super bowl.well it starts next week,will you make it to Indy for super bowl, it won’t take long to find out.

24. By JETMAN86 on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

WELL HERE WE GO AGAIN…CUTTING GUYS WHO ACTUALLY SHOW SOMETHING IN PRESEASON GAMES….MAYBIN LOOKED PRETTY GOOD IN THE VERY SHORT TIME THAT HE WAS HERE…I DONT GET IT…HE HAD MORE SACKS IN 2 PRESEASON GAMES THAN GHOLSTON HAD IN 3 YEARS…AND THEY KEPT GHOLSTON…OR SHOULD I SAY GHOST IN…CAUSE HE REALLY WAS INVISABLE…COME ON MAN…

25. By JETMAN86 on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

SHOULDA GRABED MERRIWEATHER……BUT SINCE WE ARE SO LOADED THERE..GUESS NOT…COME ON MAN….

26. By Will on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I agree Mr. T and Rex should have given Maybin a chance he didnt lack effort and we needed help on the o line and we get some one the team that drafted them dont see anything in them we should have Waters here and not in N.E. I only hope they wake up and smell the coffe and maybe bring L. Davis in and Maybin back

27. By Jimmer on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

That 2010 draft isn’t looking so good. McNight is ok for where he was picked. Vlad and Wilson are not living up to expectations at this point. We’ve yet to really see anything from the terminator.

28. By Keith on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I dont understand the leadership of this organization i thought they had a chance to un seat N.E. until now to bring in a safety from dallas and let go of your best pass rushing option for a D.B. when you claim your loaded in that positon i can see Tom Brady now with Brian waters blocking for him yawning until a receiver gets open Rex

29. By PurpleFlash on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

’64 Tom, I don’t see the 8-8 year thing. Jets will be much better than that, but I don’t see cutting Maybin and I don’t really like losing Lowry. Also signing Kevin O’connell and not Clemmens teslls you all what they think of Clemmens.

30. By Chicago Bob on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

We all wanted to see Maybin turn into the pass rusher we needed however the little promise he showed was against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Buffalo gave him every opportunity and he never produced – he just isn’t good enough to play in the NFL.

31. By Rick on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

This Caleb guy from GB is going to be very good after Callahan gets with him. Baxter is a decent backup and Gilyard is a very good special teams guy and WR. Not sure about this Sendejo guy from Dallas…. Emanuel Cook is very good in coverage but a lousy tackler.. Like what i saw from Cumberland… #43 Belore looks like a nice find…. and Kerley looks solid to me…..just some observations about Pre-season….also Wilkerson is going to be a good DL i see him improving as the season goes on…. Kendrick Ellis looks like he`s got some work to do….. sorry to see Lowery go, he was a playmaker but a step slow in coverage but had great instincts or as they say a nose for the ball… Im alittle iffy on McNight but feel very good about Powel

32. By 38 year fan on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Bottom line …We got Patrick Turner back ,..Thank God …I thought that would be an EPIC blunder … on par with let’s say voting for obama .

33. By 38 year fan on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Scjoe – I am totally with you on those 3 …the good , the bad , and the ugly …

34. By 38 year fan on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I am going to throw something out there that may seem crazy ,,But , If the texans are going to keep Leinert on the bench , ..I say we pick him up ( If Possible ) …I think he is going to be great one day , on the pro level . That guy is not done yet …

35. By Gabriel on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

64 tom, no disrespect but do you really think the Jets will go 8-8? After going to the AFC championship twice in a row? I agree with scjoe that your last year’s draft class isn’t living up to its talent right now but give them a few years before the Jets cut them. it’s odd why Maybin was waived and so was MTV. I really hope the Jets know what their doing, Anyone know why Scotty Mcknight our seventh round 2011 draft pick was waived?

36. By Maxx on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

What the Hell are the jets doing there just sitting there as theses players like meriweather and water and gurode get waived by there teams and there not even picking them up then they go along and release maybin who they didn’t even give a chance to they go ahead and claim theses bogus players not really addressing there needs at O line D line and I think running back while there rival a team that I despise the New england pats are bringing in theses players to work out and eventually signing like brain waters I know the jets have money to spend so that is not an excuse. They better win the superbowl this year or I will be be very disapointed with this team

37. By Hans on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

You know, we go through this every year it seems like. Folks, get real. Hardly any two teams keep the exact same people from year to year. I seem to remember people saying that we would be crap without Alan Faneca at LG last year. Tell me, how did that work out? I remember people saying we’d be crap without Coles the year before that. I remember hearing this about ANY of those who are embraced as dedicated Jets because people simply don’t want to ever let go of them. And I can understand that. But for the sake of Jesus and dead puppies will you all at least TRY to move with your cheese?!

38. By Maxx on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Player that the jets should still go after evan though they screwed up with not getting meriweather gurode and waters who went to the pats which is a big slap in the face
    DB nathan vasher

OT Jordan Black,

CB Lito Sheppard

Donald Lee

WR Laurent Robinson

WR Donnie Avery

Justin Gage

sorry for the long list along with that any O lIne Or D line they could find or I say we fire Mr. T

39. By Hans on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

If there is one thing I learned about us as a fan base is that we are used to the down times, because there have been a lot of them. But sometimes, in order to get out of the rhythm of consistently being in those down times, you have to take risks. Some risks will be highly praised, others won’t be. No one will see eye to eye 100% of the time and I realize that. We let Faneca, Feely and Kerry Rhodes go and we made way for other players such as Santonio Holmes, Nick Folk and Matt Slauson. All three have paid dividends (even Folk, who is not as accurate as Feely is). Life and football are about taking chances. Its OK to be afraid of getting burned, but don’t let that fear control your ability to try to get the big payday.

40. By Jet Fan Tom Since '64 on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

scjoe, I don’t understand why you’re not more optimistic about Conley. When was the last time we had a P who had such a good summer? I can’t remember which of you guys said you wished we’d taken Javier Arenas, who’s done okay for the Chiefs. But I meant to say while he’s almost 200 lbs, he’s also only 5’9″, which is probably one reason we didn’t pick him given our size problem at DB. Frankly, I’d like to institute a policy of not picking any DBs under 6′ unless they’re extraordinary prospects, like Revis was. GaryC, see my post on the story ahead on how we’ve weakened our D secondary seemingly for no reason and without a strategy to improve it. Unless a trade is on the way this makes no sense to me and makes me wonder what Rex is thinking.

41. By Pranit on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

No guys,..maybin was a total bust..a one trick pony doesn’t survive in the NFL..and he wasn’t even good at that one trick…he got a sack against the second and third teamers,,,he can’t play with the big boys…”People in Buffalo are no dummies”…Westoff…and he’s dead right…

42. By joeyjets12fla on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

man after reading the 36 responses you would think it was 95 all over again. i guess we shouls forget the season and wait for the next draft. we haven’t played our first game yet. just watch 11-5 and we take the division. please stop with the clemmens crap.yeah it does tell you what they think of him, he did nothing for us. o’connell is a nice pick up for the 3rd qb. and if you’re gonna say ,why did the dulphins cut him ,simple answer they’re the fins. look at that qb situation. can’t wait to read all the comments on 9/12.

43. By Jet Fan Tom Since '64 on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Gabriel, go talk to frank, he thinks we’ll be lucky to go 6-10. Look at it this way, I’m just leaning a little bit in the direction of my man GaryC and I also really like Maxx’s post about these players we’re not going after, as well as some of the guys on his list especially Hangartner. For the first time some of Rex’s talk sounds to me like total smoke in terms of the WR backups, the depth on OL (unproven rookie OL guys “make me feel better,” he says?!?!?), and especially the wholesale slaughter in the D secondary without adding ANYBODY when we already were weak at S. Funny, too, that I see a few of you guys saying “We won’t go 8-8″ and then pointing out problems I hadn’t even thought of! Admit it, you guys smell trouble too.

44. By Jet Fan Tom Since '64 on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Hans, I know you weren’t really referring to me but just for the record, NO ONE was more excited about getting Holmes than me and I have even criticized the one and only Joe Willie for dumping on Slauson, who I predict will be an All-Pro soon, way too early last yr. As for Folk for Feely, maybe somebody didn’t like Feely’s tweets about politics because that one still makes no sense to me. Anyway, change is exactly what I’m all for but picking up rookies and journeyman and saying they provide depth is more hope than change. joeyjets, let’s talk after 5 or 6 games, DAL looks pretty pathetic and with NE and BAL coming up we can’t afford to lose to the Cowboys, as we have to come out of those first 5 games at least 3-2.

45. By Viveca on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Am most concerned about OT depth. What happens if Brick is injured? We have to find someone immediately, Ducasse is obviously not an option. The linemen we picked up are strictly guards or centers. Back-up qb is another problem area. Burell is 40 and no Farve, O’Conell has proven to be too inaccurate after being tried by three teams. They know the system…so what!
    When Brady went down, Cassell stepped in and the Patriots still had a stellar year! We’ll have to pray that nothing happens to Brick or Sanchez or the season is over. About passrushers…Who do we have that scares anybody?

46. By irizarrla on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

The little promise Maybin showed against 2nd and 3rd stringers was alot more than what our starters showed with opposing starters and what any other of our 2nd and 3rd stringers showed like Ellis, Mcintyre, and Bellore and he did it in just 2 games. This cut is more than just a mistake it will be a disaster if the NYJets can’t pressure QB’s again this year.

47. By Ted Kossally on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Someone said the players not drafted are doing great. I say trade down so we don’t draft guys like Goldy. Robertson and Jonny Lam Jones

48. By russ on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Thank you for keeping Berning on the practice squad , his intellect and drive will make him a force in a year…really sad to see Mc Elroy season end with a crummy OL the cause…

49. By Doug on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Maybin was the only guy that would get to the QB without it being a blitz. We need a pass rusher in a big way. Also what is the deal with Nick Folk. He is going to cost the Jets their season sooner or later, there has to be a more consistant kicker out there somewhere.

50. By Hans on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Tom, calling people out specifically was not my intent at all. I’m an optimist by nature. I always try to look at the bright side of things. That’s not to say that’s ALWAYS my outlook, because it isn’t. I have my fair share of depressed states. But I really want to think that what we have works.

Feely got dumped for that? Come on! We might not all agree on it, but this is a professional environment where personal opinions should never hold sway!

Am I naive? Maybe. I just want this so much that I let it show. I’m an honest person like Rex when it comes to my feelings. And I feel that we can do it with this team and that we’ll have a good opener against Dallas this Sunday.

51. By kw65Fan on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Maybin…Maybin…enuf already. It says something that he didn’t even make the Bills roster…then why us. I said it in many previous posts…watch out for McIntyre and i glad Jets kept him. Watched him ih Canadian league and he was a force. Had overall better stats than Maybin this pre-season. Just like the fins taking Wake from up north, Just wait and see what Mac brings to the table. Wouldn’t be suptise he takes down 8 sacks this year as he overtakes Brian Thomas at OLB….Thomas has done nothing last couple of years…do not know what they see in him. McIntyre will excel and make you all forget Maybin who…

52. By Jet Fan Tom Since '64 on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I’m joking about Feely’s tweets, of course, Hans, because the move still irks me. At the time I thought Rex was upset about him missing the FG in the playoff vs. IND but that wasn’t a good enough reason either, considering how inconsistent Folk is. Also kidding you a little, I think the key phrase in your post is “I really want to think that what we have works.” What you WANT to think and what the reality IS are two very different things. I know the feeling but right now what I AM thinking is that Rex is doing a lot of DISHONEST spinning and jiving when the fact is this is the WORST roster he’s had in his 3 yrs, not the best. We need badly to pick up a few guys to address some big holes, including the one at OT that Viveca talks about.

53. By RickJet on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

The JETS are gonna be @ worst 13-3! we have the best d fence in the land!!!! why does everyone keep saying we dont have a pass rush? we have been top 3 in d fence 2 yrs in a row! we remain in the top 3 this upcoming season. our offense which everyone is calling “old” will prove all the critics wrong and have a better season than last yr, which is gonna put tremendous pressure on opposing defenses and allow rex & co. to have a field day! just wait and see!!

54. By Jeff on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Was it just me or did Maybin look great? I know he was going against the #2’s and #3’s, but he was fast and disruptive. I really wish we had kept him!

55. By Jeff on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Maybin didn’t even make the practice squad??? Come on!

56. By CommonGround on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I’m nervous about this season no pass rusher (no Maybin), same kicker as last year who was making 30 yard field goals look impossible last year, and a pushy big receiver picked up to make our young developing QB nervous in the pocket about getting him the ball.

57. By Hans on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

@Jeff, If our Jets wanna put him on the practice squad, they would have to wait to see if anyone wanted to claim him off waivers.

58. By Row on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Okay you goofy guys, there’s a reason Rex hasn’t dialed up blitz schemes with Pace, Scott, or even Harris yet. You have to remember the draft with the huge holes we filled on the DL. No worry about the pass rush. I will say last year we kinda lucked out. The Lions, Bears, Bengals games were all eye openers. I see a shaky start by #6, and the entire season resting on the running game. Rex know defense so don’t question his motives for the waive. But I liked Maybin. Meriweather is 100 years old, can’t cover and has no regard for nfl rules. No miss there. Notice the kick returner signing. Kerley was unimpressive.

59. By joeyjets12fla on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

need to tell all of you this is only my 4th or 5th post since this site has been up. i also want to let you know i’ve never called anyone out individually on there post nor have i been addressed on mine.oh and let correct my self from earlier i mean to say the 96 season not 95 that being said i would like to address tom about our record having to be a least 3-2. real quicki i say 5-1. dallas a W 9-11 believe me we win, jags a W, raiders W 7 days rest not worried about the trip we’ve always have gotten screwed on travel the last few meets,ravens L hey they’re tough, patties W come on, the dulfins W. 5-2 if we loose by a fluke to the jags. this ain’t 96 or any other year believe me we take the div. i know i’m a fan since 66

60. By russ on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

maybin couldnt make 1st D ge was cut period…go visit ghoulston and count your money hopefully ducasse will be there soon

61. By joeyjets12fla on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

sorry meaqnt say 4-2 if we loos to the jags

62. By Maxx on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I say we even give clinton portis a shot

63. By Jet Fan Tom Since '64 on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Kerley was unimpressive at 31.8 per kickoff, Row? 3 yards more than your hero Smith averaged last year? Still wonder sometimes how that mind of yours works when it comes to numbers. Which reminds me, Meriweather is 27, same age as Pool and a year younger than Leonhard and Smith. “Goofy,” huh?

64. By Jet Fan Tom Since '64 on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Well, joeyjets, the pt is that to be 3-2 after the first 5 games we have to win the first 3 no questions asked. Since we lost to the Jags a few years ago and the Cowboys could easily bounce back this year with a healthy Romo and Rob R running the D, even going 3-2 isn’t a lock. The Ravens are always tough and then of course there’s the Pats. In other words, if we lose any of those first 3 games and start 2-3, we have to win 8 out of 11 games to go 10-6. Let’s put it this way, I’ll know how close we are by 2 things vs. DAL: How many pts we score in the 1st half and how many 3rd-and-16’s we give up.

65. By Maxx on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

lance briggs is on the trading block I say go after him he is a nice veteran who want to win

66. By Row on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Tom, my bad on Meriweather, although the Pats finished in the bottom of the league vs the pass. As for Kerley, nfl.com has him at 28.3 yards per kickoff return, which isn’t bad, but every other Jet who’s returned one has a better average. As for Pool, I LOVED the legal hit he put on that WR against the Eagles. You have to be unbiased. Most JET running backs are averaging around 2 yards a carry. Thats why I say the season is based on the run. Go Jets

67. By Keith on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

I honestly belive they blew it on Maybin he has potential a great football coach brings out potential in his player and turns it to greatness i feel if Rex and his coaching staff are going to be great coaches they must develop talent not talent developing the coaches like Parcells and shula and Tomlin and Dungy

68. By Keith on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

I think Mr. T is a good GM but not to good at judging talent oh that’s right he drafted Vernon gholston and Danny woodhead and cut him and drafted Vladimir Decasse and now you have to get offensive lineman from the wavier wire and you wasted a secound round pick on Decasse and what has Kyle Wilson done lately

69. By NYSR2 on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Merriweather is an overrated player and a bum. But not picking up Waters or Gurode is just amazing. And if anyone thinks Brunnell is an NFL QB, go get your head examined. We are rolling with Sanchez and O’Connell now, behind a questionable o-line. Recent drafts are also questionable, and the off season did not allow for the free agent signings we have become accustomed to. Too many guys need to have career years for us to win it this year. And Sanchez had better show us he is for real…. he gets amazing credit for a guy who has been a second tier QB.