3 Waiver Acquisitions ‘All Smiles’ in New Home

Posted by Andrew LeRay on September 6, 2011 – 11:30 am

Within a week of opening the 2011 season against Dallas, the Jets on Sunday added four new players via waivers to their 53-man roster, new pieces to what they hope is their championship puzzle.

While QB Kevin O’Connell begins his second tour of duty with the Jets, three of the waiver additions made their team debut at practice on Monday afternoon. C Colin Baxter is an undrafted free agent who spent training camp as a member of the San Diego Chargers. Former St. Louis Rams WR Mardy Gilyard is a young, electric offensive player with heavy experience on special teams. And S Andrew Sendejo comes to the Jets after spending part of last season and this August with the Dallas Cowboys.

As head coach Rex Ryan admits, it won’t be easy for the new Jets to quickly become acclimated to their new team.

“One of these offensive linemen is going to have to step in there and play and be our seventh guy this week,” said Ryan. “You hope you don’t have to play them, but you have to coach them up. It’s going to be a huge challenge to get them up to speed.”

Baxter was not selected in the 2011 draft after an impressive four-year career at the University of Arizona, where he was a two-time All-Pac-10 offensive lineman. Signed by the Chargers after the draft, Baxter hopes to provide depth to the Jets O-Line as a backup to C Nick Mangold.

“He was helping me with some footwork stuff after practice,” said Baxter of Mangold. “Rob Turner, he’s going to help me learn all the protections and all that type of stuff, and he’s already talked to me about that. There’s been a lot of support.”

The support that Baxter has already been shown has also impressed Gilyard, a former fourth-round pick of the Rams in 2010.

“It’s all smiles, man,” said Gilyard. “My teammates are great. Everybody here is just perfect. It’s like you’re home. You come into the locker room and you have 53 brothers.”

Gilyard steps into a veteran receiving corps after catching six passes for 63 yards in his rookie campaign. Used primarily as a kick returner, he is ready to embrace any role bestowed upon him in New York.

“I haven’t met with Coach Westhoff to see what’s going on, but if I had to guess, I played a lot of special teams in St. Louis for me not to be on special teams here in New York,” he said. “I’m going to help out the best way I can, contribute the best I can, and hopefully I’m here for a while.”

To further shore up the special teams group, Sendejo was added from the Cowboys, who also happen to have a date with the Jets on Sunday.

“I want to do everything I can to help this team win,” said Sendejo. “It will just make it that much better that it will be against the team that I just got released from. But it doesn’t really matter who’s across from you, you’ve just got to do your job and execute.”

While Gilyard hadn’t yet had a chance to meet with Westhoff, Sendejo had already spent time with the special teams coordinator.

“Anytime you’re a young guy new to a team, special teams is where you’re going to make your money at,” said Sendejo. “I’m looking forward to helping that unit and doing whatever I have to do to help us win, wherever it may be.”

There are only five days until the 2011 season gets under way, a short period for new players to assimilate into a new organization. But Gilyard doesn’t think the process will be difficult. Although the gracious young receiver has only had one practice with his new squad, he already feels at home.

“Football starts with an ‘F,’” said Gilyard. “In other words, football starts with ‘family.’ It’s the ultimate team game. It takes literally 11 guys on offense and 11 guys on defense to do their job right for us to be successful. You want to come to a place that’s like that. It’s like a big family that relies on each other. That’s the great thing about being here.”

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Andrew LeRay | 51 Comments »

51 Responses to “3 Waiver Acquisitions ‘All Smiles’ in New Home”

1. By Jet Fan Tom Since '64 on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

These guys sound like they have great attitudes, and why wouldn’t they considering some of the teams they just came from. And my man Vincent from Brooklyn, who’s been a Jet fan as long as I have, tells me that Gilyard is the real thing and that “it’s a miracle the Rams cut him.” (Too bad the Rams didn’t cut Row’s favorite Danario Alexander so we coulda picked him up.) Still, ST aside, I think we need a lot more help at OL and S than Baxter and Sendejo can offer. As for O’Connell, that’s a huge waste of time unless Brunell is going to be out half the yr, in which case he’s the one we should cut. Ira, we need to pick an OL vet AND a S but it looks like we’ll have to wait for next yr’s draft for the S.

2. By GaryC on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

I follow college football quite a bit and Gilliyard is the only guy I remember from Cincinnati, I don’t even remember the other two guys during the Indy workouts or draft guides, will have to get Mike Mayock on the case or Mel Kiper.I mean really how many guys have come to the nfl from rice.Casey who I believe is on Texans is the only guy off hand can remember.

3. By MarkP@JetsReality on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Are you kidding me? Rex says we traded Lowery because we were loaded.
    They never used him right. He is not a good closer & should have been a safety from day 1. He had 2 “pick 6′s” last year. Cook & Sendejo are an upgrade over Lowery? These moves are getting a bad feel to it. Were Bryon Thomas &
    J. Westerman on the field this preseason? This guy Nick Bellore #43 needs to get action. He sticks his head in everything and is not afraid of contact. Love to see him and Mauga replace Bart “No Impact Plays” Scott & Bryon Thomas. Have we reached out to Sean O’Hara the ex Giant Center.? Surely it is worth a call.
    BB is not afraid to get rid of name players a la Merriweather. We are stuck with Ducasse, McNight,Scott,Thomas, LT,- ALL DEAD WEIGHT

4. By IRA on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

I can’t beleive Sendejo is nothing more than a player to pick his brain before the Jets play his former team. I really like the chances of Gilyard helping this team.
    Tom, Don’t worry OL help is coming after week #1. They are fine at safety for this year as long as they stay healthy. If there was any concern they would’ve never traded Lowery.

5. By walt on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

I think the wildcard for the jets this year will be their two reserve tight ends Mulligan and Cumberland.The improvement both of them have made in their blocking and receiving should help the offense in two tight end formations.Exspeciallly if you put Tomlison in the backfield.They will not know if the play is a pass or run since Tomlison is such a good receiver and runner.The problem is you have shotenheimer as OC which sort of negates this potential advantage.

6. By walt on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

I think that the addition of Sendejo was a very good move. He is very athletic and a good special teams player.He has the size 6foot 1 225 Lbs that should help him cover tight ends.I would not be surprised if he plays some defence this year and has a long carreer with the Jets.

7. By the real t.o, on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

if brunell dont get better fast, why not get a vet like bulger instead? mcelroys gonna be the future backup for sure. brunells looked pretty good i must say in limited action. i was really bummed he couldnt play the entire preseason. if hes gonna be out this much he might need to go and we bring in a vet thats at least healthy cuz i cringe when sanchez gets slammed ! if we have ducasse goin in to backup anyone, hes gettin creamed like spinach . we need a healthy backup. bulgers got a cannon and hes only34

8. By carl on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Hey Randy pinch me! football is right around the corner ! Can’t Wait!Go Jets!!!

9. By Hans on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Who would you rather have at 3rd QB Tom, Clemens? :P

10. By kw65Fan on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Lets start off the game right Sunday night…wear our whites and Cowboys wear there dreaded blues that they hate. And lets come out of the shute blasting and hitting away. Make Romo wish he was still on the Injured Reserve and make his mind go crazy with our defensive looks. Pound the ball down Rob’s defense throats…hit those in-routes on the dime Sanchez and let Holmes and Mason take it to the house. Pre-season is over…show us the explosiveness Schotty…or begone.

11. By Karan on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

This offseason for the Jets has been a little bit exciting and a little more disappointing. Yes, we signed a great player in Plax and even Derrick Mason. I prefer Cotchery over Mason, but cotchery wanted out. They chase Nnamdi who does not even sign with the jets, and in the process, Brad Smith is lost to Buffalo. There is no legit veteran back up O-lineman besides Rob Turner who is injured. Instead, we see the Patriots sign Brian Waters. Dwight Lowery should have never been traded, the guy was a solid, solid player and instead he is replaced by Cook and some Sedejo guy from Dallas who is brand new in the system. Jets don’t give an offer to Ihedigbo and he goes on to the Patriots.

12. By Karan on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

I know Tannenbaum could have done better than this, but it doesn’t totally look that way. Sorry about the bickering but we have lost some valuable players who fit this system well, such as Coleman, Lowery, B. Smith, Iheigbo, Cotchery and even Shaun Ellis. I think Jets should have tried harder to keep these players. I really hope that I’m wrong about all this, and there is actually an overall upgrade, but it does not seem that way, especially on O. Defense actually looks great with the exception of Lowery getting traded late. I might be getting ahead of myself but let’s see what happens.

13. By Frankie on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

5 days away!!!!! Can’t wait to arrive at JETS STADIUM Sunday. Lets go JETS!!! Definitely not going to have a voice on Monday morning.

14. By Jet Fan Tom Since '64 on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

I’d rather have Bulger at 2nd QB like real t.o. says, Hans. Hope you’re right about OL, Ira, because what we have now in back of the starters ain’t much. Right on about Cook, Sendejo, and Lowery, MarkP, but that’s a good point about Sendejo’s size, walt, we certainly need more of that at S. Funny too about Schotty, walt — not funny-ha ha but funny-true.

15. By scjoe on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Ira, I am with you on Sandego, I said that from the signing. As for the rest of the late signings? Im sure there will be a couple who never make it off the inactive list before they are replaced. That is just the way Rex and co operates.

16. By Rick on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

I just Heard that David Garrard just became available…any chance we could pick him up…. instead of O`Connell….

17. By GaryC on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

It is kind of funny that once we traded a draft pick for o’connell and now you can get him off the scrap heap.jet front office at work again.

18. By BillsJets on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Let’s stop searching for players. We have our 53. Rex did a good job selecting these guys. We can’t be all the time, oh wait let’s get him, oh wait let’s get him, enough is enough, it’s time to get the practice in and play the games. The Jets will be a good team overall this year. I’m getting a little tired of the Jet fans with the would’a should’a situations. Let’s just play the games that we have been waiting for a long time now to happen. Let’s Go Jets!!!

19. By Arte Old Schoole Section 327 on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Stop worryin’ JetNation! We are the Beasts of the East!! JETS 1-0 and counting!

20. By Nick on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

I agree 100% with the people who are saying trading Lowery was the wrong choice. He was honestly one of my favorite defensive players. Very-underrated, hard working, and a good teammate for a young player. He will be missed. What am I going to do with my Lowery jersey now? :(

21. By Arte Olde School Section 327 on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Gotta let go of the Same Ole Jets past! It’s time now to play like a JET!! A REX-JET!!! All of the players let go are soft. Maybin, Lowery, whomever.. It’s REX that creates ALL the turnovers & sacks for whoever DOES their job.. Whoever misses an assignment is waived.. Wave goodbye and say hello to the NFL’s #1 Defense ALL YEAR.. Just watch! We will destroy our opponents. The Jets have NEVER had a defense like this one, EVER!! Can’t wait for the 1st shutout! Why do you think we beat NE in NE last year? I still can’t believe it. Why do you think, come winter in the playoffs, no one wants to play us? It’s called de-fence!! Let’s take care of business one game at a time! You can’t spell RELAX without REX :-)

22. By fred on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

I am so pumped for this season & with Sunday”s game I really feel so fortunate to be there. And of course there are questions with the Jets but I just don’t see how they already add up to a 7-9 or 8-8 season.

23. By Jet Fan Tom Since '64 on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

You mean instead of Brunell, Rick! scjoe, saw your comment about these inconsequential bottom-roster shufflings, completely agree especially in a messed-up yr in which guys have less time to learn the system. If we don’t pick up the OL that Ira’s expecting and the more consequential S that I’m expecting, I’d put this down as Mr T’s weakest summer yet…though you never know with him, since he’s in the vanguard of four-season wheeling and dealing.

24. By superhumanjet on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Wow, Iv’e been reading your posts for awhile now and can’t believe the negativity. We had nothing when Rex arrived here and now after two runs to AFC champ game, you still don’t believe. Iv’e been a die hard Jet fan since ’67 when everyone else was a Giant fan. Iv’e gone from the lows to the lower and had my heart crushed so many times. When, please tell me was the last time we had a team in the running for the SB in three consecutive years. I mean can we give Rex a little benefit of the doubt here?

25. By NGfromMYorigNY on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Not worried about the safety issue AT ALL we beat indy and the pats in the postseason without the quarterback of our secondary Leonhard. Someone show me a highlight or tell me a time that Leonhard has let us down? Lowery is good but not physical enough 225 6’1 Sendejo is gonna bring that. IRA whats the help at o-line that’s coming after week one? Being in Malaysia I’m outta the loop with ESPN and SNY, infact I won’t see the game. Gotta figure that one out soon anyone with ideas let me know. I really hope we use the pieces we’ve got on offense correctly. We can afford to be conservative, with our defense as good as it is, we can’t afford to be sloppy and turnover prone. D-line be relentless, MS be smart.

26. By Jesse on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

I’m really excited about Gilyard! I remember watching him play against Oklahoma breaking the most scrimmage yards in that game, it was amazing. Not only that, but on sports science on ESPN they compared his route running and techniques to S.Holmes. He’s a steal and the coaches are going to fall in love with this guy.

27. By Keith on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

I feel you Garrard and Wild Cat he certainly makes more sense than Mark Brunnel who is on his last leg right now I can’t believe that Mathias Berning #56 made the practice squad instead of Maybin some one please tellme what did he do to make the team i didnt even know who he was

28. By Jet Fan Tom Since '64 on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Edwards has been fined $50,000 by the league for LAST year’s drunk driving. No word yet if there’ll be any repercussions from the bar fight he was linked to/involved in/happily tweeting about a month or so ago. Since we’ve let him go, both Namath and Cimini have talked about his sloppy route-running, and I wonder how long that’s been talked about among the Jet coaches. (On TV it’s hard to watch a WR all the way on his route even if the ball is thrown to him, which is why I wish I could go to the games like I used to in NY/NJ.) But I gotta believe this constant question of suspensions for BE was a factor in our losing him. Naming Holmes a captain should keep him out of trouble and Mason and Plax are too happy to be here to mess up…I hope.

29. By joeyjets12fla on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

just read what the jets are going to do to commemerate 9-11 amd it sounds great. 10 to 1 we see nothing on the TV pregame and as little as possible during half time. bet NBC would like to hear from everyone my father died 5 years ago was retired navy officer and korean and vietnam vet. my brother flew apachee helicopters in desert storm while my brother-in-law flew cobras. my cousin a reatired FDNY captain went into the city and helped with rescue from LI never thinking he was retired. it would be just once, JUST ONCE if a network would say lets stay live for the commeration before during and after the game. the only time we hear our national athem is during the play-offs

30. By tdp914 on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Bulger? REALLY? How do you expect the guy to learn the system within 5 days? If Sanchez gets hurt playing Dallas, who do you want in, Bulger, O’Connell or Brunell? I had to laugh when I read that comment…

31. By IRA on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Tom, I just can’t beleive they would take the chance and have no experience at OL depth. Watch O’Hara signs soon i hope. Bulger retired so i don’t think thats an option. Before Brunell got hurt he was throwing the ball in practice real well. Of course thats not real game speed. Too bad he got hurt and missed a lot of valuable time. If i were the Jets i would at least make the phone call to Garrard. If anything it upgrades the b/u QB position big time. No knock on Brunell but the facts are he is 40 yrs old and coming off an injury. If Sanchez were to miss a few games who do you think gives them a better chance to win? If the price were right and they have the room in their budget i would strongly look into this option.

32. By GaryC on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

do we really need to pick up a guy to pick his brain,I mean isn’t that why we have scouts,to think this guy sendejo is going to play a big part this year is ludicrous right now he is the fifth safety,If the jets bring in another lineman he is gone, get real.

33. By Jet Fan Tom Since '64 on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

NGfromMY, Leonhard let us down just about anytime he had to cover anyone over 6′. joeyjets, NBC is the network on which Collinsworth asked a stunned Kobe Bryant, at the Olympics, if his giving thanks to the USA was outdated, so don’t hold your breath for anything patriotic from THAT network. tdp, if Rex isn’t worried about these new scrubs learning the system, he won’t be worried about Bulger or Garrard learning the system. Garrard, especially, has been just as good as Sanchez at times and probably would do as well or better than MS has on the Jets instead of the Jags so Ira, yeah, I say make the call. superhumanjet, we’ll see in about 6 games if we’re in the running for the SB this yr, Rex would say that if you and I were on the roster.

34. By bill on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

I will never forgive them for sending Woodhead to the Patriots with another famous bottom of the roster shuffle. Agree about Lowery, never should let a playmaker go. This is the team that kept Clemmons for all those years, the guy wouldn’t start on most div 1 college teams. This is also the team that kept 2 fg kickers on the 53 for quite some time. It’s always love hate with the Jets isn’t it?

35. By GaryC on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

this love affair with Shaun O’Hara has to stop.posters are so used to jets bringing in aging players it is becoming standard fare that we bring in more guys past their prime and o’hara is another case.do we have a lot of closet giant fans on this site.

36. By GaryC on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

to jesse, that game you are referring to is the game in 2008 when cincinnati played oklahoma and gilliyard got about 365 all purpose yards including a 97 yard kickoff return.cincinnati got beat 52-26 so a lot of those yards were probably during garbage time.

37. By Howie D on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Like 9/11, seeing Herm Edwards leading the Jets on the front page our website brings back bad memories. Can we please take down that photo?

38. By scjoe on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

is Gilyard the next Clowney? I mean that is all we ever heard about Clowney was speed,speed,speed. As it turned out that is all he had.Unless Westy falls in love with this guy on ST he will be buried deep into the inactive list until the next guy comes along. Ditto for Sendejo. That is what makes those transactions worrysome. Maybin and Turner would have had a roll.

39. By scjoe on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Ira, I misunderstood your post re: Sendejo. My contention is he is here just for game 1 vs Dallas then the fire drill continues.

40. By scjoe on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

64 totally agree on Garrard. Of course we all know he would have to learn the playbook, but once he does it is an instant upgrade over what we have. And God knows we need an upgrade. To have this guy in as a #2 this year and next with McElroy being the #3 next year would ne instant piece of mind. I hope Rex and T man see it the same.

41. By Jet Fan Tom Since '64 on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Interesting what you say about Clowney, Gilyard, and Gerrard, scjoe. Reading your post, I also recall that weird push for Clowney to take over Wright’s gunner role, which not only didn’t work but seemed to take Clowney’s mind off becoming a better WR. If Gilyard can at least do the gunner thing already that’s okay, maybe he beats out Payne or Turner later this yr or next yr on that basis. Gerrard actually has at least one thing that Sanchez badly lacks, a nice, soft, accurate touch on short and medium-range passes. It would be nice to see him on the Jets just to see if practicing alongside MS during the week would elevate MS’s game in that regard. And hey, how’d you like Conley’s roof-touching punt today?

42. By superhumanjet on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Why so much love for Gerrard? In Jax he was always throwing his team mates under the bus (receivers running the wrong route, the line not giving him time) Doesn’t sound like a team player to me. The Jets wil not sign Garrard because 1. the reason I just spoke of. 2. If the Jets sign him b4 week 1 they have to guarentee his salary (at least $950,000) for the entire year. 3. when they needed him most in Jax he failed miserably everytime, and playing in Jax is nothing like playing in NY. 4. He wants to have a shot at the starting QB spot, so he would never come here.

43. By j-rod on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Lowery a playmaker? Please. He wasn’t that. Always getting burned. ANd wasn’t good at safety. Stop complaining.

44. By GaryC on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Garrard is not coming here to backup Sanchez,there are teams out there looking for qbs and the jets aren’t going to pay him backup money to sit on bench.Garrard isn’t even a top 15 quarterback.you guys might not like sanchez but this would definitely be a step back.Jacksonville is saying they would rather have McCown and a rookie qb than garrard, that tells you something.

45. By Rick Roucoulet on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Question is: Did the JETS acheive retrieving that Pass Rusher needed so badly??????????????

46. By Jet Fan Tom Since '64 on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

I agree Gerrard isn’t great, superhuman and GaryC, but he threw 23 TDs last yr, let’s see if Sanchez can do that this yr. And though I’m sure he’d like to start, I don’t think his value in the marketplace is that great. Anyway, I’d rather have him than Brunell if he decided he’d rather be a back-up on a good team than the starter on a bad one, as he’s already done that on JAX. j-rod, I get you on Lowery but what bothers me is we didn’t seriously upgrade at S by getting somebody like Weddle or drafting somebody high up. Leonhard and Smith are two of our most overrated players and Pool isn’t even all that highly rated by the coaches yet.

47. By scjoe on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

GaryC,superjet, What I am saying is Gerrard is better then what we have backing up MS hands down! Whether he comes here for b/u money is another question. But as far as ability, especially when he learns the system it is a no brainer. Just ask yourself how comfortable you would be if MS is lost for the season in game #1 with our current crop of b/us. If you think either would be a better option then Gerrard you are fooling yourself.

48. By Fabs on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

I agree with the loss of lowery and brad smith both clutch players that i am going to miss. It might be a money issue though. We got those random players like cook and sendejo for cheap so that is why we signed them…just a thought.

@Rick, We didnt sign a pass rusher like we needed and we got rid of Jason Taylor and Pryce. They are relying on wilkerson for this.

49. By GaryC on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

jet fan tom, remember garrard did not have shotty as his coordinator,no wonder he threw 23 tds,TOUCHE.and also remember about egos,a player would rather start on a bad team than a good team if he will start,even if he was here this year how long will it take him to acclimate himself and next year it is mcelroy and sanchez.

50. By Jet Fan Tom Since '64 on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

The counter-productive factor of Schotty when it comes to scoring TDs should definitely not be underestimated, GaryC.

51. By JetJones on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

Beleive me as a avid Rutgers football fan i know first hand about Mardy Gilyard he was one of those guys i used to hate to have to play right along with Steve Slaton and Pat White of West Virginia. The thing is can Gilyard healthy at his size on ST which still reamains to be seen but all in all it wasnt a big risk to take a chance on him.

As far as the whole David Garrard issue listen, you guys have to stop thinking that every player that hits the waiver wire thats a vet is gonna be benificial to any team they sign with. Garrard is a good QB but i wouldnt overpay for a QB that doesnt know our system and doesnt fit our scheme when its comes to running a Jet Offense. O’ Connell has been with us before and the price tag even made more sense