• Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EST Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 3:30 PM EST Live Coordinators Press Conference Jets Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey, Offensive Coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and Defensive Coordinator Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 15, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 22, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 29, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Jets Put on Titans Togs for Game vs. Jaguars

Posted by Eric Allen on September 13, 2011 – 3:42 pm

Updated, 9:55 a.m. ET

The Jets rested their Titans of New York uniforms last season, but they’ll take the classic blue jerseys and gold pants off the hangers for Sunday’s Week 2 matchup against the Jacksonville Jaguars at MetLife Stadium.

The Green & White wore their Titans unis seven times from 2007-09, going 1-1, 2-0 and 1-0 respectively for a 4-1 mark in the blue jersey/gold pants/blue helmet ensemble. The Jets also split a pair of games while wearing white Titans vintage road jerseys back in 2009. In addition to the good record in blue Titans jerseys, the Jets have traditionally piled up the points in the dark unis, averaging 35 points a contest.

Before the franchise changed its name to the Jets, the Titans finished 7-7 in both 1960 and ’61 under head coach Sammy Baugh. That was good for second and then third place in the AFL’s Eastern Division. Their last year, 1962, wasn’t as successful as they dropped to 5-9 in their only campaign with Clyde “Bulldog” Turner at the helm.

Rex Ryan has always been a fan of the Titans gear and is frequently seen here at the facility representing the throwback look.  This is scheduled to be the only time the Jets go with their vintage look in 2011 and they’ll do it before the home faithful before embarking on a three-game road swing to Oakland, Baltimore and New England.

Tags: , , ,
Posted in Eric Allen | 72 Comments »

72 Responses to “Jets Put on Titans Togs for Game vs. Jaguars”

1. By Mike Lentini on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

WHY are they wearing the Titans uniforms? Has the NFL required them to wear them? Its so not Jets, and its worse being at the game trying to read that brutal gold and figure out the numbers and names. YUCK

2. By Tom Spicer on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

The TD to Austin was a pick Cromartie had the ball was down on the floor & at that point & not before it Austin rips the balls from his hands. I hate those calls they need to change them. Last year vs the Pack 2 balls Cotchery caught he was tackled laying on the turf & the Packers corner ripped the ball from his hands & the called them picks. They were clearly not picks the play was over the guy was down just like Cromartie. It cost us the Packers game & it almost cost us the Cowboy game.

3. By Chris on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

Why not roll with some of the early 80s Kelly Green looks?

4. By Roger on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

WE ARE THE JETS NOT THE TITANS. ALL THE HOOPLA ABOUT TEAM GREEN, GANG GREEN, PLAY LIKE JETS, etc. Why did I purchase all my GREEN jerseys? BLUE is the other team in town. If we want to Play like Jets we must look like Jets in GREEN.

5. By Mitch on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

Stop wearing these things already. They are terrible. If you want to make money off merchandise, bring back the 1980s uniforms as throwbacks.

6. By davetharave on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

Chris has a better idea. And Roger is right, the Jets are a Green team and the Titans uniforms are plain, dull and look nothing like the Jets are supposed to look. Lets make this the last time they wear these, maybe try the 80’s look if you have to do anything at all.

7. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

Ugh, I can’t stand looking at them, and I agree with folks who say we should use the cool 1980s uniforms as our throwbacks. But I don’t really care as long as we win the game on Sunday, we gotta start out at 3-0.

8. By Why? on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

This is a horrible idea. Isn’t the team supposed to “Play like a Jet”? Not, play like a crappy under .500 team from the early 60’s.

Did they check with Rex first on this?

9. By superhumanjet on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

A person of “inside Knowledge” told me that many teams will have new uniforms next year. The Jets, he told me are going back to the ’80s kelly green with the old helmet logo. I don’t know if this is true or not but he told me it’s a way to bring in new money from people who own team jerseys. Maybe that is why Titans blue now and not Kelly green.

10. By ronald t prevete on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

Please, make this the last time the JETS put on those poor uniforms. They were changed for a reason. One of which is that they are ugly.

11. By GaryC on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

chris has the right idea to bring back the kelly green and the huge numbers that went on the jerseys and sleeves,I call it the barzilauskas jerseys and helmets or Earlie Thomas.

12. By G20four on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

Yeah I agree I hate the Titans uniforms… they’re just ugly. I understand the suggestion of using the 80’s as throwbacks, but why? I loved whe nthe Jets changed to their current uniforms… if anything play tribute to the ’68 Jets and modify (slightly lol) the uniforms to look like them… maybe even throw a SB III Champs patch on there…

13. By BillS on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

Titans equal Harry Wismer
    Enough said

14. By joeyjets12fla on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

oh man again with the titians uniforms. the should bury them with jimmy hoffa back at the old stadium.

15. By bill on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

Agree 100% with tom spicer’s comments. Especially cotchery, because when you are on the ground, you are downed the instant you are touched, So how does a player rip the ball out without touching him? And Cro caught that ball an instant earlier, watch the replay.

The throwbacks are disgusting. Stop with these garbage unis and bring back the 80’s look if anything. Frankly I’m done with throwbacks regardless. The unis and the idea is old.

16. By Relax on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

Relax people it’s just a jersey.

17. By Hans on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

Call me crazy, but I honestly like the Titans throwbacks, but that’s partly because I’m partial to the color gold.

18. By Karan on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

Relax guys, its just a uniform, i personally think the titan uniforms are nice :). Some problems in the secondary, good players but still, Jets should have kept one of either Lowery or Coleman, miss the heck outta those two DBs.

19. By George Carrasquillo on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

Can we please keep the ThrowBack uniforms Back in the Storage Rubbermaid bins..Enough already with the Throwbacks.. Its J E T S not titians

20. By joe-retied ny/li on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

i agee with everone above. the titans are now tennessee! why cann’t we purchase real jets tee shirts? home green with white shoulder patch and away white with green shoulder patch! that would sell better than this! and while i’am at it – how about how about made in the ‘usa’. i gladly pay $10.00 more for one of each( home & away). i know randy- you have no control over this. but maybe you could pass this on to those who do. i enjoy your collum and the great fans here!

21. By Angelo on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

What is everybody complaining about! “its worse being at the game trying to read that brutal gold and figure out the numbers and names. YUCK” You sound like a twelve year old girl!!!! The Titans uniform looks good and the Jets have a good record wearing them as Eric has mentioned. Jets could wear whatever they want to wear, even the camo uni. Bottom line is they are still the Jets. Go Jets!!!

22. By BillsJets on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

GaryC, Carl Barzilauskas is my favorite Jet of all time, Now that’s what a Defensive linemen should be like. As far as the Jets wearing the Titans uniform, I hate that uniform, with me it’s Gang Green Baby all the way, that is what best represents the Jets, and finally Rex talks about making corrections, the Defensive line definitely needs to make corrections, they can’t even get close to the QB, they need to get Pace to rush the QB more often and stop going into pass coverage, also Smith and Leonhard are big hitters, but their size as far as covering a receiver is weak, and Finally Finally Revis is a shut down corner, Cromotie, is not.
    Go Jets!!!!

23. By scjoe on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

I don’t really care if they wore potato sacks with numbers on the back, just get the win. But if what we have seen here is an indication of how most Jet fans feel about those Titans uni’s, maybe it is time to retire them at least until 2020 the 60th anniversary of the old AFL. I know the fans have zero input into the day to day operation of the team, but at least consider their feelings on the minor issues such as this.

24. By JetAce upstate on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

Most throwbacks are terrible looking. Please put these “Titans” unis to rest. Paying homage to the history of the franchise is fine but these unis are embarassing and should be burned. As a season ticket holder I hate going to games when they wear these. It’s very difficult to see the numbers and if throwbacks have to be worn please make them our team colors GREEN & WHITE.

25. By Irvan on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

“The Green & White wore their Titans unis seven times from 2007-09, going 1-1, 2-0 and 2-1 respectively for a 4-1 mark in the blue jersey/gold pants/blue helmet ensemble.”

Someone needs to revisit basic addition

26. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

Sendejo is gone already. Is this supposed to be funny? Oh well, we have an open roster spot now, maybe we can use it to get a real S, one we actually intend to work into the D, or a backup O lineman. BillS, I agree with you about Wismer but there are other ways to honor him, like with a plaque or statue at the stadium. And hey Eric, that was a disturbing post from Ira about the loss of the Ring of Fame. That can’t be a permanent move, can it? The Jets finally get a new stadium and a chance to do some of the celebratory things other teams have been doing for decades and blow it so soon?

27. By Marco on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

I see this as a disrespectful move by team’s owner. To make a few more lousy bucks you are depriving us of the enjoyment of watching our team because watching them in these unis doesn’t feel like watching OUR team. A disgusting, greedy move.

Sir, the few dollars you make from this will not make up for the bad feeling you’ve created.

28. By charlijet on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

google “New NFL Nike Uniforms for 2012″ for all 32 teams – some look real cool
    like the JETS green/black/silver colors black helmet with NY Jets Silver logo 80’s style looks real cool. Check it out.

29. By northjersey on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

I can’t stand these. I don’t know a single fan who likes them at all. Wear the 80’s jersey with the script logo helmet if you’re going throwback!

30. By Chris on Sep 13, 2011 | Reply

Always thought the Titans played in Nashville.

31. By Neal on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

LOVE the Titans unis. I’d also like to see the 80s jerseys, but it’s pretty cool to represent the beginning of the franchise…don’t understand the hate of these unis; gold and navy is purdyyy

32. By Jaguar Punishers on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Im glad they are wearing the uniforms, now the Jags can beat the Titans two weeks in a row! HAHA

33. By bestjets on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

so what is the reason to wear uniforms the fans dislike

34. By no one listens to Blinka on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

nO ONE BUYS MY JERSY NO MATTER WHAT COLOR IT IS

35. By Graf Zeppelin on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I like them. The old gold, old-school varsity serif numerals look great IMHO. It’s a nice, classic look. It’s not 100% accurate, though; it combines elements of the 1960 (old gold numerals) and 1962 (shoulder stripes) versions. And I also think they should wait until later in the season to wear them.

That said, I too would like to see the 1978-89 version brought back as a once-per-year throwback in the future. If the Buccaneers can wear the orange creamsicle jerseys with the gay pirate logo once a year, the Jets can wear the Sack Exchange unis once a year.

36. By Graf Zeppelin on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

[cont’d…]

The Jets should NEVER change the primary uniform they have now, except for three minor tweaks I might like to see:

1. Get rid of the green pants, or at least never wear them with the green jerseys.

2. Make the green a shade or two lighter.

3. Make the logo/helmet decal football-shaped, like the 1965-77 version, rather than oval.

37. By Brian on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Serisously? I hate these things. Blue and Gold is for Cub Scouts. This is the first game ever for my 5 yr old, and now I have to explain to him why the Jets are not in the right uniform. Honestly, if he wasn’t so excited about the game, I would sell the tickets. I get that throwback uniforms make some extra cash for the team, but they should still look like the team. Please Jets, go with the 80’s Kelly Green uniform. No one wants to “Remember the Titans”

38. By Tom K on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Poor choice. Hope it doesn’t wreck the carma.

39. By JetdaveinMO on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Bring back the green helmets and 80’s jerseys or wear the ones from the Namath era. We are the Jets not the Titans. Please Jets change the decision for next year and wear green and white all the time

40. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

charlijet, the word on the Internet now is that while Nike has the contract for the uniforms, those prototypes that you saw have been leaked and are fake. And I hope so because the black, silver, and green Jet design looks like a leftover Raiders uniform that some gang member discarded after someone threw up on it. In fact, all of these highly metallic uniforms look like they were designed by the guy who did the art direction for the TRANSFORMERS movies, and none of them conjure up the warm, friendly, often patriotic feelings that I get from even current NFL uniforms, much less older ones. I’m open to new trends in art (my favorite painters, if I really had any, might be Braque, Picasso, and Tanguy) but them uniforms is big-time UG-LEE!

41. By Ernie on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I dont understand why people are making such a big deal about the throwbacks. It’s only 1 game. and seriously people its going back to the roots of the original team, if your a fan you should be proud of your heritage as a team. Never forget your roots, if there was no Titans wed never have the Jets .Get over it.

42. By davetharave on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I just looked at the site mentioned by CharliJet . . if this is really what the new uniforms are going to look like I’m either going to cry or laugh myself into a coma. You’ve got to be kidding !!! Is this for real ? They look totally ridiculous. And I do NOT like reverting to the word ‘Jets’ on the helmet, the current helmet which approximates the 60s-70s look is perfect. Somebody really needs to think about what is going on here.

43. By Steve on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Ernie, I couldn’t have said it better… Who cares if they’re wearing pink, as long as the Jets win, that’s all that counts.

44. By OMG27 on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

This makes me sick, and anyone who doesn’t get my frustration has absolutely no sense.
    An expansion team that lasted for TWO YEARS does not constitute the foundation of the team we have followed and loved for over FIFTY Years!!! Seriously, what history do the “Titans of New York” have to celebrate anyway?! Were you even old enough to watch football when they played any of their twenty some games?!
    If this doesn’t bother you, then it probably wouldn’t bother you if they changed their uniforms permanently, stuck with the name “Titans” and moved to Tennessee.
    The whole point of a throwback is to remind fans of the uniforms that the organization they root for used to wear. No one, not ONE PERSON alive today ever rooted for the Titans!

45. By frank bronx on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

love the titans uni’s ,,,dark blue is slimming

46. By christine on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

duh frank dark green would be slimming
    also

47. By frank bronx on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

brian sell your kids ticket and buy him a jets jersey so he wont be so depressed and while your at it tell him every kid getting a trophy on a lil league team is right also

48. By d1vemasterg on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

You have to be kidding me!!!!!!! The Jets are gang green not blue and gold.Throw them away!!!!!

49. By Charliejet on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Tom 64 I thought the Jets uniform was kinda cool looking some teams were downright stupid (Eagles for one) and Cleveland didn’t even change theirs (what else is new?) But to each his own. Hey Tom you think the added tight end formations and Sanchez stats from the Cowboys game were due to Schotty input or Tom Moore’s influence? (You know what I’m getting at here).

50. By Gabriel on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

ITS JUST A JERSEY. Come on we are not whiny patriot fans, we have good record in those uniform anything for a win. So let’s man up and watch the game.. its not like you are wearing it or anything, its just for one game

51. By Steve on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

OMG27, how do you know if anyone alive today ever rooted for the Titans? You probably weren’t even alive then, so to make that statement shows your ignorance. Everyone should get over this uniform thing already, it will not change the outcome of the game one way or another…

52. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I don’t like all this black and dark green in uniforms, Charliejet, partly because it seems so many terms in pro sports have that. Not that I’m a color consultant but in terms of what I’d like to look at every Sunday, a uniform with just white and a brighter green in it would be fine with me. And I’m in the minority, I guess, because I like the logo that spells Jets and looks like a Jet, the original one has had its day in my view. More importantly, I’d love to know the answer to your question about the TE’s. It looks like the kind of stuff that Moore did with IND but Schotty seems to have a lot of ideas that Rex has been stifling, like not losing simply out of some weird desire to run the ball 35 times in a game.

53. By JetsWinNow on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

While the Titans is part of the Jets heritage, as a throwback it is dull and boring. And having a winning record in these uniforms has nothing to do with winning…maybe I’m downplaying the role magic plays in sports, but there really is no such thing as a “lucky” uniform. If the Jets want to pay homage to the past, then do it in the 80’s Jets uniforms, or the old 60s Jets uniforms with the helmet that had the Jet on it from their first year as the Jets. But keep it Green

54. By Jay on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I want the 80’s Kelly Green Unis!! Enough already with the Titans stuff! Yea I know it was not good years but still either were the Titans!!

They would sell alot of apparal if they did so, instead of the blue and gold!

55. By Guitarstar in Las Vegas on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I love the passion of Jets Nation demanding the Green & White. They are right there is something magical about the New York JETS uniform on the field. It carry’s the mystery of our wins. I want to comment on a tuff 3 game road trip. IMO The Jets play better on the road. GO JETS ======== ✈

56. By joe on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Been at games since 1984. This is ridiculous!!! These uniforms are horrible. Stop the madness…. Go green!!!!

57. By Tony on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

SO, perhaps management should listen JUST A BIT to its fan base. When 99 out 100 say they hate the throwbacks maybe the idea should be scrapped and being we are the JETS and NOT the TITANS , should wear OUR uniforms. The NY Titans lasted but 3 yrs won only 19 gms and in 7 home gms in their last yr drew just over 36 thousand fans to the point people in the grandstands would be moved to lower seats so it would look like more people were actually there on tv. THIS IS NOT a history to be remembered or celebrated. Get over it already STOP messing with the threads, and lose the GREEN pants while youre at it!!!

58. By hammer on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Hate the Blue/gold uniforms….Give me an excuse to drag out my joe kleko jersey, go back to the 80’s style for a game.

59. By ANDY on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

I hate the blue and white jerseys…if you agree don’t buY them …GO GREEN!!!!

60. By Euge on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Please don’t wear them again. They just don’t look like the NY Jets when they are on the field. Our team colors are green & white and I think we should always wear our colors. AS amid ground, I don’t like the 80’s-“jet plane” logo look either but I could take that because it still dons our color scheme. This blue and gold has got to go!! UGLY and not relevant!

61. By "chucky" on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

I”m a life long JETS fan from upstate NY(Albany is NOT upstate by the way…) going to my first JETS game ever. Kinda disapointed about the choice to wear the Titans uni……..BUT I”lLL GET OVER IT!! GO JETS!!!!!

62. By R. Sechny on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

PLEASE lose the Titans uniforms once and for all! They look like a low budget high school team. Hard to tell who you’re even watching. I agree completely, they’re totally irrelevant. Why not go with the Richard Todd/Bruce Harper era uniforms from ’78. I know the idea is to sell as much different gear as possible, but there were so few Titans fans anyway that practically no one remembers those (mostly bad) teams. We’re JET fans, gosh darn it! Management is once again undercutting the positive Jets identity they’re trying to build. C’mon, Woody, repeat after me J E T S Jets Jets Jets! Forget the Titans like a bad memory.

63. By Gordo1964 on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

I like the old Titan unis once in awhile but please don’t bring back those horrible unis from the 80’s and also I would like to see us wear our whites at home more often I think there a better looking uniform and it’s what we won our super bowl in wasn’t it

64. By NC on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

The Titans uniforms are great. They should wear them more often. And I’d like to see the Jets make some changes to their regular uniforms. Green and white is pretty bland, and when they wear all white they look awful. Incorporate more black into the green and white theme. Maybe wear a black jersey, or black pants at times. It would make the team look more intimidating physically. Also, possibly down the line, go to silver or black helmets.

65. By DJ Zeb on Sep 17, 2011 | Reply

Bringing the 80s throwbacks would be so much better than these rags. I hate looking at them it’s embarrassing

66. By Tony on Sep 18, 2011 | Reply

HEY, NC…..WHY DONT YOU JUST GO AND BE A RAIDER FAN ALREADY….GREEN IS OUR COLOR, NOT BLACK OR SILVER….GREEN..GET IT?

67. By cesar rodriguez on Sep 18, 2011 | Reply

What the HELL is going on!! I was calling direct tv , were is is the jet game.
    all i see is the jaguars playing the VIKINGS!! I saw the GREEN JETS on the end zone, the score and time board said JETS, and i saw our FAITHFULL FANS WEARRING OUR GREN AND WHITE LIKE I AM AT HOME.
    The TITANS, How FLIPING unoriginal,” i cannot say what really on my mind”
    it will be an act of God if we win today. Also that color is NOT blue it is PURPLE.. If this is the case i might as well be an VIKINGS fan..:NEVER”
    IF THIS IS THE FUTURE, I WILL BOYCOTT THE NEWYORK TITANS.
    I WILL NO LONGER WATCH THE TITANS……NOR SUPPORT THEM. I AM A JETS FAN!!! NOW I CHANGE THE CHANNEL TO WATCH THE YANKEES.
    AT LEAT THEY STICK TO THEIR NAME AND COLORS.

CESAR

NOLI ME TANGERE

68. By Vic on Sep 18, 2011 | Reply

I am the biggest jets fan you will meet and I think it’s great that they brought back the titans of Ny jerseys. Its an opportunity for all of us to see the throwback look. In fact since it’s the only time they are going to wear these this year I’m gonna go to modell’s and buy my revis and sanchez throwbacks. lol. Thank you for bringing these back!!!

69. By Tony on Sep 18, 2011 | Reply

yea, see vic, people like you are why they wore the throwbacks in the first place and why my comments have been getting deleted

70. By Dan on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Please,no more Titans of New York uniforms! The alternate uniform should be the Sack Exchange era uniforms,or better yet bring back the green helmets and jerseys from 1978-1989,(although the Coslet era uniforms were nice too,especially the road uniform) But please no more Titans crap!

71. By steve on Jun 18, 2012 | Reply

Could we bring back the New York Sack Exchange 80’s uniforms, that was truly the era the Jets started to make a name for themselves. Why Titans, they never got close to the superbowl at least the 80’s green tried.

72. By Chris on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

I agree with you,those Titans uniforms are lame looking.I wish the Jets would go back to the Kelly Green and Black,or Kelly Green and White.Those green helmets blow away the boring white they wear now,with the childish logo on it.That old 80’s jets logo rocked.I still have a few shirts and they hats with that logo on it that i wear,especially my black one with the green logo on it and I get comments on it all the comment,people love it.But hey that’s Rex Ryan for ya.Remember everyone this is a guy who stated the Jets wearing the white jerseys,and white pants,is their look and what they’re best known for because they won a Super Bowl wearing them.Remember Rex the Jets are known as Gang Green,not Gang White.